[Ixoye] The Power Of A Snickers Bar a... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - October 2010 » [Ixoye] The Power Of A Snickers Bar and a TV Camera « Previous Next »

Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Username: Ixoye724

Post Number: 2962
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Warning - this puzzle is very silly! The title is a roundabout clue, but don't get too hung up on it. Extra points to anyone who makes the connection between the title and the puzzle's solution though. So good luck...

I'm sure that people all over the world have prippled. There are at least 3 examples of prippling in American film and TV history, done by 2 very well known Americans and 1 who may not be well known outside of the US (or maybe even inside the US, which probably would be a blow to his ego):

In 1 example in a movie, the pripple was rather brief and spontaneous yet well executed

In the only well-known TV examples I'm aware of the pripples are planned and last for several minutes, but not as well executed

In another movie example, the pripple appears somewhat unexpectedly and does not exactly fit with the genre, and is executed with mediocrity (but still fit in the movie nicely).

Can you figure out the 3 Americans in these examples who have prippled, in what context they prippled and the specific action that is a pripple?
Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 7227
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does one have to be standing to pripple? Sitting? Moving around? Is prippling a solo act? Does someone die in the course of prippling?
Woodworm (Woodworm)
Username: Woodworm

Post Number: 2244
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I do like the silly ones!

I assume this has nothing to do with the TV cameraman, the snickers wrapper and the bowerbird? (I ran that as a puzzle a while back.)

Is prippling connected with continuity errors?

Does it involve speech? Physical movement? Would a director normally encourage prippling? Are subtitles involved? Is it to do with talking into the wrong camera?

Can people pripple even when there is no camera on them?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 2965
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does one have to be standing to pripple? Sitting? Moving around? It can be done while doing any of these
Is prippling a solo act? Yes
Does someone die in the course of prippling? No, at least I can't imagine this ever being the result
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 2966
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I do like the silly ones! You say that now, but you may find this one to be so silly it will cause you to re-think your statment!

I assume this has nothing to do with the TV cameraman, the snickers wrapper and the bowerbird? (I ran that as a puzzle a while back.)
I have no knowledge of this previous puzzle so any connection is accidental

Is prippling connected with continuity errors? No

Does it involve speech? Yes Physical movement? Yes, but this isn't always necessary
Would a director normally encourage prippling? Good question - in 2 of the examples it was specifically encouraged if not commanded; in 1 example it is likely the director was taken by surprise by the pripple

Are subtitles involved? No

Is it to do with talking into the wrong camera? No

Can people pripple even when there is no camera on them? Oh sure, and this may well happen in countries other than the US
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7231
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the pripple a mistake? Making a fool of oneself in some way?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 2968
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the pripple a mistake? No, it's intentional
Making a fool of oneself in some way? Perhaps - a poorly executed pripple may cause this to happen
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7234
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the pripple a stunt of some sort?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 2970
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the pripple a stunt of some sort? Only if you use a loose definition of 'stunt' - to most people it wouldn't be called this
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7239
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is prippling saying something relevant? To someone? Or is it a monologue?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 2972
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is prippling saying something relevant? Well no, but you're not far off - a person can pripple and say anything they want to, there is another element involved
To someone? Yes, a pripple does involve saying something to someone (or more than one person)
Or is it a monologue? It can be this
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7244
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Relevant what the topic of the pripple is? The length? Is it messing up someone's name?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 2974
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Relevant what the topic of the pripple is? Quite!
The length? No
Is it messing up someone's name? No
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7245
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the topic of the pripple the speaker? The one spoken to?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 2975
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the topic of the pripple the speaker? No, this isn't possible!
The one spoken to? I guess it could be, but I've never known this to happen
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7249
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the speaker able to speak about himself? Or herself? Must the speaker be male? Female? Are laws relevant?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 2977
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the speaker able to speak about himself? Well yes, but even if he or she does so the implied topic is not about him/herself
Or herself? Same as above
Must the speaker be male? Female? Could be either but the 3 examples are all males and this would be the most common case
Are laws relevant? No
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7254
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the speaker making fun of something? Of someone?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 2980
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the speaker making fun of something? No, but...of someone!
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7257
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Of a politician? Of authority? Of someone who has done something really embarrassing?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 2981
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Of a politician? Of authority? Neither
Of someone who has done something really embarrassing? No

TO CLARIFY: to say it's "making fun" of someone isn't exactly accurate, there's a more fitting term and it isn't as negative
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7264
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Insulting? Teasing? Taunting?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 2984
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Insulting? No, this usually isn't the intent (although it's done in 1 of the examples)
Teasing? Taunting? No
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7269
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Satirizing? Joshing? Joking?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 2986
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Satirizing? Joshing? Joking? Yes to all of these, yet there's still a better word
Peter365 (Peter365)
Username: Peter365

Post Number: 2976
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is breaking the 4th wall relevant? although that's been done in many films.

Would a pripple (love that word btw) be more at home in a spoof movie?

Is it in some way referencing a previous role of an actor? e.g Mel Gibson and Danny Glover did a nice reference to Lethal Weapon in the movie "Maverick"
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 2989
Posted on Friday, October 22, 2010 - 2:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is breaking the 4th wall relevant? No

Would a pripple (love that word btw) be more at home in a spoof movie? It could be done there as well, but creatively worked into just about any kind of movie or TV show

Is it in some way referencing a previous role of an actor? e.g Mel Gibson and Danny Glover did a nice reference to Lethal Weapon in the movie "Maverick" Yes, sometimes it does this but not necessary. This is the case in 1 of my examples, and that pripple was done by a very well known person.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7318
Posted on Friday, October 22, 2010 - 2:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it referencing the fact that one is in a movie? In a movie within a movie?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 2992
Posted on Friday, October 22, 2010 - 2:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it referencing the fact that one is in a movie? In a movie within a movie? Neither of these...it is very specific
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7320
Posted on Friday, October 22, 2010 - 2:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Referencing one's actual life while playing a character?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 2993
Posted on Friday, October 22, 2010 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Referencing one's actual life while playing a character? No - keep in mind that you're OTRT with satirizing and joking (2 of the 3 people in my examples specialize in this)
Noel (Noel)
Username: Noel

Post Number: 1967
Posted on Friday, October 22, 2010 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does it involve impersonating someone?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 2994
Posted on Friday, October 22, 2010 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does it involve impersonating someone? YES, it is impersonating someone and it is very specific. The puzzle's title is a clue, but it's very roundabout - feel free to use Google or other resources for help with the clue (I had to search for a while though to verify what I already knew about it). The specificity of the action relates directly to the 3 examples in the puzzle.
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2989
Posted on Friday, October 22, 2010 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Then I think one of them would be Tom Cruise doing Jack Nicholson in A Few Good Man . "I eat breakfast 500 yards from 4000 cubans who are trained to kill me"

Also Tony Curtis seemed to be imitating Cary Grant when pretending to be an oil rich millionaire to impress Marilyn Monroe in Some Like It Hot.

Any of these OTRT
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 2996
Posted on Friday, October 22, 2010 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Then I think one of them would be Tom Cruise doing Jack Nicholson in A Few Good Man . "I eat breakfast 500 yards from 4000 cubans who are trained to kill me" OTRT! This is a great example, but not specifically a pripple...

Also Tony Curtis seemed to be imitating Cary Grant when pretending to be an oil rich millionaire to impress Marilyn Monroe in Some Like It Hot. Well I haven't seen this movie, but this isn't quite the same idea as what's involved with prippling

Any of these OTRT Your first example very much so! The principle is dead-on, just not specifically a pripple
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7331
Posted on Friday, October 22, 2010 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is one, as the character, impersonating oneself? (Thinking of Tom Hanks as an outlandish version of himself on SNL Celebrity Jeopardy here...anything like this?)
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 2998
Posted on Friday, October 22, 2010 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is one, as the character, impersonating oneself? No, not this. The main principle behind prippling is impersonation (but not a person impersonating him/herself) - this is the principle, but think more specifically

(Thinking of Tom Hanks as an outlandish version of himself on SNL Celebrity Jeopardy here...anything like this?) Well Tom Hanks isn't involved, but SNL Celebrity Jeopardy certainly is!
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7336
Posted on Friday, October 22, 2010 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yay Celebrity Jeopardy!

Impersonating a character to the point of complete outlandishness?

For SNL Celebrity Jeopardy - Sean Connery relevant? Burt Reynolds? Alex Trebek?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 2999
Posted on Friday, October 22, 2010 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Impersonating a character Yes, but not always to the point of complete outlandishness? Simply impersonating, and not just anyone (see below)...

For SNL Celebrity Jeopardy - Sean Connery relevant?
YES - to pripple is to impersonate Sean Connery! I warned everyone that this was silly...

Now, for the more serious part of the puzzle -

Balin has identified the context of 1 of the pripples in the puzzle statement, so he probably knows 1 of the Americans (probably the least well known around the world and in the US) who has prippled in film and TV. I'll leave the puzzle open for a short while to see if anyone knows the people and how the puzzle's title relates to Sean Connery.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7343
Posted on Friday, October 22, 2010 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, Trebek, I know the SNL actor's name, but am not sure of the other two.

Movie examples: Is either movie from the 2000s? 1990s? 1980s? 1970s? 1960s?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 3000
Posted on Friday, October 22, 2010 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Feel free to give the actor's name if you think you know

Movie examples: Is either movie from the 2000s? 1990s? 1980s? 1970s? 1960s? One is from 1990, the other is from 1993
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7348
Posted on Friday, October 22, 2010 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The SNL guy is Darrell Hammond (is that how you spell it?), I think.

Movies: drama? Action? Thriller? Comedy? Animated? Romance? Western? Sci-fi? Mystery? Biography? Historical? Based on true story?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 3001
Posted on Friday, October 22, 2010 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The SNL guy is Darrell Hammond (is that how you spell it?), I think. That is correct! Of the examples in the puzzle, this is the only one from TV, the only one that is the most planned-out and longest lasting, and (in my opinion) the least well-done pripples of the 3 examples. Hammond is also the least well-known of the 3 pripplers

Movies: drama? 1 yes, 1 no
Action? 1 yes, 1 no
Thriller? No to both
Comedy? 1 yes, 1 no
Animated? Romance? Western? Sci-fi? Mystery? Biography? Historical? Based on true story? No to these

1 of the movies could be described as drama and action, the other would be considered a comedy
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7354
Posted on Friday, October 22, 2010 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dramaction - the one from 1990? 1993?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 3004
Posted on Friday, October 22, 2010 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dramaction is the one from 1990.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7356
Posted on Friday, October 22, 2010 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Only comedy I can think of from '93 is Robin Hood: Men in Tights, though I'm not sure about the Sean Connery bit - is this it?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 3007
Posted on Friday, October 22, 2010 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Only comedy I can think of from '93 is Robin Hood: Men in Tights, though I'm not sure about the Sean Connery bit - is this it? No - the film has some dramatic elements but moreso comedic.

It may help to focus on the prippler that is in the movie (and think about what prippling involves)...
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7360
Posted on Friday, October 22, 2010 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The prippler - a typically comedic actor?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 3010
Posted on Friday, October 22, 2010 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The prippler - a typically comedic actor? The prippler in the comedy movie yes, very much so; the prippler in the dramaction movie has done some comedy but is better known for drama
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2992
Posted on Saturday, October 23, 2010 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Isn't there a Connery impression in the movie Trainspotting? Can't remember which of the cast does it though. Ewan McGregor?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 3012
Posted on Monday, October 25, 2010 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Isn't there a Connery impression in the movie Trainspotting? There may be, but I haven't seen it and it's not one of the examples

HINT: Mr. Connery appears in one of the movies, but not the other
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7396
Posted on Monday, October 25, 2010 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Permission to Google, Trebek?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 3015
Posted on Monday, October 25, 2010 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Permission to Google, Trebek?

Google away...
Kalira (Kalira)
Username: Kalira

Post Number: 389
Posted on Monday, October 25, 2010 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

1990 movie wouldn't happen to be "Hunt for Red October," would it? Don't recall a Connery impression off the top of my head, but it's been a while... Does Alec Baldwin do an impression of Connery/Connery's character?

1993 movie:
Mrs. Doubtfire?
Sleepless in Seattle?
Last Action Hero?
Coneheads?
Dave?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 3017
Posted on Monday, October 25, 2010 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

1990 movie wouldn't happen to be "Hunt for Red October," would it? Yes, very good!
Don't recall a Connery impression off the top of my head, but it's been a while... Does Alec Baldwin do an impression of Connery/Connery's character? Indeed he does! Connery's character Captain Rameus instructs Baldwin's character Ryan "Be careful what you shoot at, some things in here don't react well to bullets." Ryan, while tracking down the gunman, says this aloud in an accent that impersonates Connery's character (and therefore Connery).

1993 movie:
Mrs. Doubtfire? Yes, well done! Robin Willams' character Daniel Hillard demonstrates his ability to impersonate celebrities to the case worker who is interviewing him, and does a "spontaneous" impression of Connery as James Bond (which gave the movie's producers a headache, as Williams did many unscripted spontaneous impersonations and they had to obtain rights for all of the character and movie references).

So, for the final piece - how is Sean Connery connected (laterally) to a TV Camera and a Snickers Bar? HINT: It relates to Robin Williams' pripple in the movie discovered above
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 987
Posted on Monday, October 25, 2010 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've never seen The Hunt For Red October (I was five at the most when it came out, lol) though I did see Mrs. Doubtfire; it's just been years. I know Robin Williams does brilliant impersonations (the Genie, anyone?) and I can only just imagine what headaches that could cause...in part because my sister's learned to imitate him imitating people, and it causes me headaches, though much amusement, too.

Did Robin Williams take part in a Snickers commercial? Imitating James Bond? Totally random guess, lol.
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 3018
Posted on Monday, October 25, 2010 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've never seen The Hunt For Red October (I was five at the most when it came out, lol) though I did see Mrs. Doubtfire; it's just been years. I know Robin Williams does brilliant impersonations (the Genie, anyone?) and I can only just imagine what headaches that could cause...in part because my sister's learned to imitate him imitating people, and it causes me headaches, though much amusement, too. Between the impersonations and various references to other movies (like 'Dances With Wolves'), it took a lot of work to get clearance to leave all of the dialogue in the film

Did Robin Williams take part in a Snickers commercial? Imitating James Bond? Totally random guess, lol. No - the connection has nothing to do with Robin Williams, or jokes, or commercials. It doesn't necessarily have to do with Snickers specifically, think in a broader sense.

Post Number: 989
Posted on Monday, October 25, 2010 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mars, Inc.?

Candy bars in general?

Chocolate in general?

Sweet treats of any sort?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 3019
Posted on Monday, October 25, 2010 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mars, Inc.? Maybe, but moreso...

Candy bars in general? Yes, this, and also perhaps...

Chocolate in general? ...this as well, and also maybe...

Sweet treats of any sort? ...some of this too.

Post Number: 990
Posted on Monday, October 25, 2010 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Argh...I was afraid of that...

Recap and maybe a hint please?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 3020
Posted on Monday, October 25, 2010 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Recap and maybe a hint please?
Sure - there's a connection between Sean Connery and the combination of a TV camera and candy. The connection has nothing to do with Robin Williams, except for an instance in which he prippled (as discovered above, from the movie 'Mrs. Doubtfire'). The connection relates to the context of the pripple done by Williams, and connects a fictional character to a real-life situation that happened in February of 1991.

You may have some success with Google, but may advance faster by asking questions. I Googled the real-life information which I happened to remember from the time it happened, and was surprised to find very few references to it.

Post Number: 991
Posted on Monday, October 25, 2010 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have we discovered what prippling is yet? If not, does it mean to impersonate someone else?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 3021
Posted on Monday, October 25, 2010 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have we discovered what prippling is yet? Yes - to pripple is to impersonate Sean Connery
If not, does it mean to impersonate someone else?
No, it's specific - but the connection relates to Connery himself, not an impersonation of him
Kalira (Kalira)

Post Number: 390
Posted on Monday, October 25, 2010 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the fictional character James Bond? The context of the pripple: is it in the scene with the lobsters? the montage of potential "faces" for what eventually becomes Mrs Doubtfire? the phone call montage? the scenes where RW is playing with the dinosaurs? Oh, wait, I may be making this up in my head, but doesn't he call somebody Mrs Moneypenny in the Bond voice at some point? -- is that the pripple?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 3022
Posted on Monday, October 25, 2010 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the fictional character James Bond? Yes!
The context of the pripple: is it in the scene with the lobsters? the montage of potential "faces" for what eventually becomes Mrs Doubtfire? the phone call montage? the scenes where RW is playing with the dinosaurs? Oh, wait, I may be making this up in my head, but doesn't he call somebody Mrs Moneypenny in the Bond voice at some point? -- is that the pripple? Yes, that is the pripple from Mrs. Doubtfire.

So, Mrs. Doubtfire is no longer relevant to the connection - what remains is to discover how a TV camera and candy are related to James Bond.

CLUE: It has to do with something that's unusual about 1 particular James Bond movie

Post Number: 992
Posted on Monday, October 25, 2010 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have never seen any James Bond films and would not know where to begin looking, so I shall bow out and let better minds than mine work on this. But it was fun helping. :-)
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 3023
Posted on Monday, October 25, 2010 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Connery starred in 6 Bond films (not counting 'Never Say Never Again', which another studio produced), and there is something unique about 1 of them that makes it different from all other Bond films. It has nothing to do with women, but relates to something that Bond does in all of the movies in the series. Even if you've never seen any Bond films, if you know anything about what the character does for a living you can get to the solution.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7403
Posted on Monday, October 25, 2010 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Correct Bond film:

Dr. No?
From Russia With Love?
Goldfinger?
Thunderball?
You Only Live Twice?
Diamonds are Forever?

Of that list, I've only seen "Goldfinger," and I loved it. As for "Mrs. Doubtfire," I've seen about half of it.
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 3024
Posted on Monday, October 25, 2010 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Correct Bond film: Diamonds are Forever? Yes, that's it. Getting warmer...

Post Number: 994
Posted on Monday, October 25, 2010 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

*ventures back in tentatively* He's a spy, I think? I know he's known as a ladies' man, a bit...and I know there's that bit about "The name's Bond...James Bond", and something about martinis...I think it was. Any of that relevant?

*feels woefully inadequate at Bond puzzles*
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7405
Posted on Monday, October 25, 2010 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the film's bad guy relevant? Bond girl? Aim of the mission?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 3025
Posted on Monday, October 25, 2010 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

*ventures back in tentatively* He's a spy, I think? Yes, he is
I know he's known as a ladies' man, a bit...and I know there's that bit about "The name's Bond...James Bond", and something about martinis...I think it was. Any of that relevant?
Well the main relevance is his job as a spy, particularly one aspect of the job...

Is the film's bad guy relevant? Well if you recall there are apparently 2 'bad guys' - Bond kills one in the first part of the movie, only to learn that he was an impostor. The only thing that's relevant about the bad guys is their deaths in the movie
Bond girl? Aim of the mission? Neither of these have any relevance
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7411
Posted on Monday, October 25, 2010 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

License to kill?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 3027
Posted on Monday, October 25, 2010 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

License to kill? Well yes, this is the relevant part of his job, so one would assume that there's something necessary for him to do to accomplish this and that he does it in all Bond movies, but that is a false assumption...
Kalira (Kalira)

Post Number: 391
Posted on Monday, October 25, 2010 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Never seen DAF... let's try a bit of narrowing.

The relevant part is in some manner the killing? Is it the way in which he kills someone? who he kills? why? when? what he says when he kills them?

Is it something relevant about what he does in the act of killing? or some aspect of the situation? or the victim? that's relevant?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 3029
Posted on Monday, October 25, 2010 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Never seen DAF... let's try a bit of narrowing. Great idea

The relevant part is in some manner the killing? Yes - specifically...Is it the way in which he kills someone? YES
who he kills? why? when? what he says when he kills them? No, none of this is relevant

Is it something relevant about what he does in the act of killing? Yes but you've targeted it above
or some aspect of the situation? Yes, one certain aspect
or the victim? that's relevant? Nothing about the victim, but about the method
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7416
Posted on Monday, October 25, 2010 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Drowning in a mud bath?
Shooting?
Crashing a sub into a control room?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 3030
Posted on Monday, October 25, 2010 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Drowning in a mud bath? He did this to one impostor, yes...
Shooting? Yes - this is the key to it! Something about 'shooting' makes this Bond film different from all the others, and the way that Bond takes care of the impostor and the main villain provides a HUGE clue!
Crashing a sub into a control room? And this is how he killed the main villain
Kalira (Kalira)

Post Number: 393
Posted on Monday, October 25, 2010 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is this the only film in which he has killed the baddie by shooting him/her? since most of his killing are far more elaborate/strange/improbable?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 3031
Posted on Monday, October 25, 2010 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is this the only film in which he has killed the baddie by shooting him/her? NO! It's quite the opposite of this! And it's not only the baddie's death, but how Bond deals with all baddies in the movie! Also, it makes the poster for the movie quite misleading!

since most of his killing are far more elaborate/strange/improbable? Not relevant
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7422
Posted on Monday, October 25, 2010 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bond just deals with the bad guys by shooting them?

Kicking the cat at the two look-alikes relevant?

Yes, I'm using Wikipedia for this, having never seen DAF either.
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 3033
Posted on Monday, October 25, 2010 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bond just deals with the bad guys by shooting them? NO, not in this 1 Bond movie he doesn't! At least, not with his usual weapon, which is a pistol. DAF is the only movie in the James Bond series in which James Bond does not fire his pistol. Ironically, he's shown on the movie poster holding a pistol, but he does not use one during this movie!
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7425
Posted on Monday, October 25, 2010 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does it look like he's holding a pistol? Because of the camera angle? But it's really a Snickers bar?
Kalira (Kalira)

Post Number: 394
Posted on Monday, October 25, 2010 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wait... I thought he shot someone. I'm confused now... sigh.
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 3035
Posted on Monday, October 25, 2010 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does it look like he's holding a pistol? Because of the camera angle? But it's really a Snickers bar?
No, the relevant aspect of James Bond is that in one of the movies he defeats all of the villains without using his pistol. There's a lateral connection between this and a real-life situation which took place in Feb. of 1991, and candy and TV cameras are involved...
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 3036
Posted on Monday, October 25, 2010 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wait... I thought he shot someone. I'm confused now... sigh. He does, but it's with a grappling gun, not his pistol. The grappling gun is the only thing Bond fires in the movie.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7427
Posted on Monday, October 25, 2010 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Real-life event - was there a panic because it looked like someone was holding a gun? Due to the camera angle? But it was really a candy bar?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 3037
Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2010 - 12:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Real-life event - was there a panic because it looked like someone was holding a gun? Due to the camera angle? But it was really a candy bar?
There wasn't a panic, and the people that had the TV cameras were the same ones who had the candy; they may or may not have been holding the candy, but at no time was a candy bar mistaken for a gun
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7434
Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2010 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the candy eaten? Thrown at someone?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 3039
Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2010 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the candy eaten? Some of it was, at some point, by some of the people involved in the situation
Thrown at someone? No

The Feb. 1991 event was only a small part of a much larger event that spanned a period of time and most people around the world knew about it, especially people in the U.S.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7447
Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2010 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I hadn't been born yet....

Breakup of the Soviet Union?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 3043
Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2010 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I hadn't been born yet....I know, this is a generational history issue, I'd already been in college for a year so it was 'living history' for me

Breakup of the Soviet Union? No, it was something that the US was directly involved with, although the exact event that involved the candy happened to a group of Italians. Keep thinking along the lines of global events though...
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7453
Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2010 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did people die in this event? Is the Roman Catholic Church relevant?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 3045
Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2010 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did people die in this event? Not in this one instance involving cameras and candy, but in the large event that this was part of yes, many people died (but not as many as expected because of situations like the one in question)
Is the Roman Catholic Church relevant? No
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7461
Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2010 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was this in wartime?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 3048
Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2010 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was this in wartime? Yes!
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7464
Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2010 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the event a protest? A battle?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 3050
Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2010 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the event a protest? No
A battle? The overall event was, yes. In the case with the camera and candy there was a potential for a battle but it never happened
Kalira (Kalira)

Post Number: 396
Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2010 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Let's see... Feb 1991 wartime, would that be the Gulf War?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 3054
Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2010 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Let's see... Feb 1991 wartime, would that be the Gulf War? That's it! The incident took place during the Gulf War, and involved a group of people from Italy. Also involved, of course, were TV cameras and candy. It isn't relevant what kind of candy they had, or anything they did with the candy, it's just relevant that candy was present with them at the time of this one event that happened during the Gulf War. Although this war involved the US, nobody from the US was directly involved in the incident involving the cameras and candy (but it's very likely that people from the US weren't very far from where this happened). The actions of the people from Italy aren't relevant, but the actions of other people involved are what's relevant.

Now...although James Bond is a fictional character and the group of people from Italy is real, both could legitimately make the same claim, which is our mysterious lateral connection...
Gregoryuconn (Gregoryuconn)
Username: Gregoryuconn

Post Number: 277
Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2010 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anything to do with microwaves? And them melting candy in people's pockets?
Or on a totally different binge, nuclear weapons involved? Major destruction weapons in general? Bombs? Defusing them? Destroying nuclear silos? Relevant that George Bush can't pronounce "nuclear"?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 3055
Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2010 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anything to do with microwaves? And them melting candy in people's pockets? No
Or on a totally different binge, nuclear weapons involved? No
Major destruction weapons in general? N/A
Bombs? No
Defusing them? N/A
Destroying nuclear silos? No
Relevant that George Bush can't pronounce "nuclear"? Ha ha, no, but nobody in Congress can either
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 3056
Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2010 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

CLUE: From what most people know about James Bond either from seeing any of the movies or even the posters, they would assume that he always uses his gun, yet he proved in 1 movie that this isn't the case, so he could (if he were a real person) make a claim about himself based on the movie "Diamonds Are Forever". Since Bond movies are still being made, that must mean that he always succeeds in his missions, right? So in making the claim he could make it would almost be like bragging. In the case with the group of Italians, it may have never occurred to them that they could make the same claim or "brag" the way that Bond could, yet in principle they did the exact same thing that he did.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7471
Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2010 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

He could claim that he could defeat/kill bad guys without using his gun?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 3058
Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2010 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

He could claim that he could defeat <- That's it! /kill No, not kill. In the movie, there are at least 4 baddies (guys and girls) that he defeats, but he doesn't kill them bad guys without using his gun? This is the basis for the claim, that Bond can defeat his enemies without using his gun. He can kill them, but sometimes he just roughs them up until they give up, but in either case he can do it without a gun.

Now keep in mind that the Italian group can make the same claim, and that in their case no battle actually took place. Bond can make his claim because he at least beat up everyone who opposed him, but the Italians didn't even have to go this far to be able to make the same claim.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7475
Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2010 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did they defeat their enemies in war? Through other means? By mocking them?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 3060
Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2010 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did they defeat their enemies in war? Yes and no. They did "defeat" a group of people that was perceived as "the enemy", but the Italians were not prepared to participate in war, not equipped to fight in war, and were certainly amazed and surprised that they were able to "defeat" anybody.

Through other means? Yes, I suppose you could say this - a "defeat" was achieved by means other than warfare (CLUE: Think about what happens when someone realizes they've been defeated in wartime)
By mocking them? No, they never did this
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7478
Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2010 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the "enemy" embarrassed by the "defeat"? Surprised?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 3062
Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2010 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the "enemy" embarrassed by the "defeat"? Highly doubtful, since the "enemy" didn't really want to fight in the first place!

Surprised? Maybe, but nowhere near as surprised as the Italians!
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7480
Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2010 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The "enemy": another country?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 3064
Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2010 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The "enemy": another country? Yes - think about the main "sides" in the Gulf War (or research it on Google), and why there may have been "enemies" who didn't really want to fight...
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7482
Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2010 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Iraq? Is the coalition that fought against Iraq relevant?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 3066
Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2010 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Iraq? Yes
Is the coalition that fought against Iraq relevant? Well no person/people who actually were there to fight against Irag are relevant, and when the Italians realized what was going on in the situation they probably thought it was hilarious that they had unknowingly "joined the coalition."
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7485
Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2010 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So the Italians didn't know they had joined the coalition? Did their government know?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 3068
Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2010 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So the Italians didn't know they had joined the coalition? They hadn't! But in the eyes of "the enemy" they might as well have been part of it. Remember, the Italians weren't equipped or prepared for fighting, that's not the reason they were there (re-read the puzzle title)

Did their government know? Well probably not when the relevant action happened but shortly afterward it made worldwide news. It's likely that their government had a chuckle about it just like many news reporters and the general public when they heard the story.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7490
Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2010 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Had something happened that made Iraq think that Italy was joining the coalition? A riot? Or minor spectacle?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 3070
Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2010 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Had something happened that made Iraq think that Italy was joining the coalition? Well the relevant Iraqis didn't care whether or not Italy had joined in the fight
A riot? Or minor spectacle? Neither of these - the Italians didn't even remotely have to participate in activities that Bond did, and in this instance they didn't even have to witness them either
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7493
Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2010 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the Italians even know there was a war going on?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 3071
Posted on Wednesday, October 27, 2010 - 1:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the Italians even know there was a war going on? Oh yes, that's why they were there (see puzzle title)
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7502
Posted on Wednesday, October 27, 2010 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did they really care about the war? The candy - was there only one candy bar? Lots of them? Actual physical candy bars?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 3073
Posted on Wednesday, October 27, 2010 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did they really care about the war? Yes, they cared about it but they were not there to fight
The candy - was there only one candy bar? Lots of them? Probably this based on how the event panned out
Actual physical candy bars? Probably, at least some kind of candy

You're almost at the solution - just figure out exactly who the Italians were (and the puzzle's title (not the statement) gives you a huge clue to this). You already know that they could, if they wanted to, make the same claim that James Bond could make about defeating enemies with, or rather without, certain items, but since the Italians didn't plan on even facing, much less defeating anyone, once they realized they could make this claim it was probably just as funny to them as it was to many who heard the story.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7513
Posted on Wednesday, October 27, 2010 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were the Italians reporters? Journalists? Candy makers? Candy eaters?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 3077
Posted on Wednesday, October 27, 2010 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were the Italians reporters? Journalists? Yes!
Candy makers? No... Candy eaters? They may have planned on eating the candy that they had with them, but ended up giving it to others. These "others" didn't know at first that the Italian reporters/journalists had candy, it was just a nice little bonus after meeting them.

Now just think about the funny "claim" they could make and we'll be done!
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7515
Posted on Wednesday, October 27, 2010 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did they "claim" that they could get the Iraqis to surrender just by giving them candy? (It would certainly work with college students....)
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 3078
Posted on Wednesday, October 27, 2010 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did they "claim" that they could get the Iraqis to surrender just by giving them candy? (It would certainly work with college students....)

Well they never made the claim as far as I know, but others did! This is sufficient for a...

SPOILER

According to news reports in 1991, it was becoming apparent to military personnel that many Iraqi soldiers did not actually want to engage in combat, but they had been ordered to do so despite being outmanned, outgunned, and in many cases much older and more frail than the younger soldiers from the US and other coalition forces.

In one case, a group of Italian reporters encountered something that surprised them - they were looking for coalition personnel to interview when they saw a group of Iraqi soldiers approaching them waving a white flag in surrender. The only things they had were their cameras and some candy, and they felt bad for the Iraqi men and gave them some candy. When this was reported, there was some joking about how all it took to defeat the Iraqis was a "TV camera and some candy." James Bond doesn't need a gun to defeat his enemies, and neither do the Italian reporters!

Nice job hanging with this one until the end, points to Balin for much of the hard work!
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7519
Posted on Wednesday, October 27, 2010 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nice one, Trebek!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: