[GalFisk] Yuck Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - October 2010 » [GalFisk] Yuck « Previous Next »

Galfisk (Galfisk)
Username: Galfisk

Post Number: 3570
Posted on Friday, October 22, 2010 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I finally figured out where it came from. I had never imagined that, but then again they were from Dollarstore.
Visconti (Visconti)
Username: Visconti

Post Number: 289
Posted on Friday, October 22, 2010 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

a few obvious opening questions to get this started:

fake poop?
fake boogers?
fake vomit?
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 3571
Posted on Friday, October 22, 2010 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

a few obvious opening questions to get this started:

fake poop?
fake boogers?
fake vomit?
No to all.
La_sparky (La_sparky)
Username: La_sparky

Post Number: 231
Posted on Saturday, October 23, 2010 - 12:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

it=they?

Any other relevant people than you?
relevant when this happened?
it=an object? if so, is that object something available to be bought from dollarstore?
they=people? if so, people who work at dollarstore?
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)
Username: Jenburdoo

Post Number: 4058
Posted on Saturday, October 23, 2010 - 2:32 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anything to do with skydiving? They=objects? Able to be bought from dollar store? Is Dollar Store a specific brand, or a general term?
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 3572
Posted on Saturday, October 23, 2010 - 8:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

it=they? No.

Any other relevant people than you? No.
relevant when this happened? Not really. A few years ago.
it=an object? No. if so, is that object something available to be bought from dollarstore?
they=people? No. if so, people who work at dollarstore?

Anything to do with skydiving? No. They=objects? Yes. Able to be bought from dollar store? Yes. Is Dollar Store a specific brand, or a general term? Irr. Any store selling cheap crap will do.
Potato (Potato)
Username: Potato

Post Number: 135
Posted on Saturday, October 23, 2010 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is "it" a reaction to "them", such as an allergy? Color stains? Annoying sounds? A weird smell?

Are "they" identical objects? Or objects that belong together as a set? Do they serve a specific purpose? Or are they just decoration? Do you have them in your house? In the living room? Kitchen? Dining room? Bathroom? Bedroom? Kid's room? Attic? Cellar? Garden?

Had you never imagined the connection because "it" wouldn't normally be associated with "them" (such as, I dunno, sneezing that's caused by a plastic object)? Because you were sure that the reason for "it" was something else (like sneezing that was caused by a pet or plant)? Before you figured it out, had you thought that "they" were of rather high qualitiy for something that comes from Dollarstore?
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 3580
Posted on Saturday, October 23, 2010 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is "it" a reaction to "them", such as an allergy? Color stains? Annoying sounds? A weird smell? This!

Are "they" identical objects? No. Or objects that belong together as a set? Yes. A small and a big. I could have bought just one though. Do they serve a specific purpose? Yes. Or are they just decoration? No. Do you have them in your house? Yes. In the living room? Kitchen? Dining room? Bathroom? Bedroom? This. Kid's room? Attic? Cellar? Garden?

Had you never imagined the connection because "it" wouldn't normally be associated with "them" Correct. (such as, I dunno, sneezing that's caused by a plastic object)? Because you were sure that the reason for "it" was something else Correct. (like sneezing that was caused by a pet or plant)? Before you figured it out, had you thought that "they" were of rather high qualitiy for something that comes from Dollarstore? I didn't think they were as bad as they turned out to be, though I know by experience that there's always at least one thing wrong with anything sold there.
Potato (Potato)

Post Number: 139
Posted on Saturday, October 23, 2010 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it made of any kind of fabric? Plastic? Any kind of metal? Glass? China (or rather an emulation thereof)?

Are the objects typically used in a bedroom? Do both serve the same purpose? Is either of them a clock? An alarm clock? Something else that's electrical? A pillow (case)? A blanket? A rug? A pot? A lamp? A candle?
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 3583
Posted on Saturday, October 23, 2010 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it made of any kind of fabric? Plastic? Any kind of metal? One is partly this. No to the rest. Glass? China (or rather an emulation thereof)?

Are the objects typically used in a bedroom? No. Do both serve the same purpose? Yes. Is either of them a clock? An alarm clock? Something else that's electrical? A pillow (case)? A blanket? A rug? A pot? A lamp? A candle? No to all.
Potato (Potato)

Post Number: 142
Posted on Saturday, October 23, 2010 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Other materials then... Rubber? Paper? Cardboard? Wood? Wax?

Is either of the objects a book? A pencil? A pen? A cable?

Are the objects normally used in some other room? If so: In the living room? Kitchen? Dining room? Bathroom? Kid's room? Attic? Cellar? Garden?

Is either of them typically found on a shelf? Cupboard? Desk? Drawer? Coffeetable? Kitchen counter?

Does the smell come from only one object? Or both? If the latter is the case, do both objects smell the same? Do they smell all the time? Or only when they're being used? Only when they're used for a long time? Are they supposed to smell like anything? Is either of them a fragrance oil? Or an incense stick?

Is the smell foul? Chemical? Burnt? Or just untypical of that kind of object?
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 3584
Posted on Saturday, October 23, 2010 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Other materials then... Rubber? Yes. Paper? Cardboard? Wood? The one without metal has wood in it. Now you've found all materials. Wax?

Is either of the objects a book? A pencil? A pen? A cable? No.

Are the objects normally used in some other room? More often than the bedroom. If so: In the living room? Kitchen? Dining room? Bathroom? Kid's room? Attic? Cellar? Garden? Most probably this.

Is either of them typically found on a shelf? Cupboard? Desk? Drawer? Coffeetable? Kitchen counter? Neither is very typical, but shelf or drawer is more probable.

Does the smell come from only one object? Or both? This. If the latter is the case, do both objects smell the same? Yes. Do they smell all the time? This. Or only when they're being used? Only when they're used for a long time? Are they supposed to smell like anything? No. Is either of them a fragrance oil? Or an incense stick? No to all.
Is the smell foul? Yes. Chemical? This. Burnt? Or just untypical of that kind of object? This too.
Woodworm (Woodworm)
Username: Woodworm

Post Number: 2255
Posted on Sunday, October 24, 2010 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did they start to stink when placed near a heat source? Are they corroded? Or were they smelly as soon as you bought them? Are they tools? Perhaps likely to be found in a shed? Do they always come in pairs?Are they actually fully functional? Or do they only smell when they're faulty? Is it the wood element that pongs? Or the metal bit? Or the rubber? Are they representations of something? Like gnomes? Have they been tampered with in some way? Are they a health hazard? Are the two things the same shape?
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 3592
Posted on Sunday, October 24, 2010 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did they start to stink when placed near a heat source? Are they corroded? Or were they smelly as soon as you bought them? This - they always smell. Are they tools? Perhaps likely to be found in a shed? Yes to both! Do they always come in pairs? No. Are they actually fully functional? Yes. Or do they only smell when they're faulty? No. Is it the wood element that pongs? Or the metal bit? Or the rubber? It's the rubber that smells. Are they representations of something? Like gnomes? No to both. Have they been tampered with in some way? Not that I know of. Are they a health hazard? I hope not. Are the two things the same shape? Yes.
Potato (Potato)

Post Number: 147
Posted on Sunday, October 24, 2010 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So both items have rubber on them?

Did you actually use the tools in your bedroom or did you just keep them there?

Is any of them a hose? Some sort of scissors? Some sort of broom? A screwdriver? A wrench? A saw?
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 3593
Posted on Sunday, October 24, 2010 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So both items have rubber on them? Correct.

Did you actually use the tools in your bedroom or did you just keep them there? I just kept them there (I didn't need six closets for clothes, so I kept a lot of stuff there).

Is any of them a hose? Some sort of scissors? Some sort of broom? A screwdriver? A wrench? A saw? Neither. Both are the same tool, only different sizes.
Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 7375
Posted on Monday, October 25, 2010 - 1:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The rubber - is it insulation on the tool's handle? Is the tool used for cutting? Is it used inside? Outside?
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 3597
Posted on Monday, October 25, 2010 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The rubber - is it insulation on the tool's handle? No. Is the tool used for cutting? No. Is it used inside? Outside? Can be both.
Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 7387
Posted on Monday, October 25, 2010 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the smell caused by the rubber? The wood? The metal? That the tool was stored in the bedroom? The normal use of the tool? Were they hammers? Sledgehammers?
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 3599
Posted on Monday, October 25, 2010 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the smell caused by the rubber? This. The wood? The metal? That the tool was stored in the bedroom? The normal use of the tool? Were they hammers? Sledgehammers? No to all, but close enough.
***SPOILER***
I bought a couple of rubber mallets at Dollarstore. I did expect something to be wrong with them, as usual - but I didn't expect the smell!
It was not a strong smell, but chemical and unpleasant. At the time they were lying on a shelf in my bedroom, and sometimes I caught a whiff of it and was annoyed (especially when almost asleep). It took at least a week before I figured out that it was the mallets that smelled. Since then I've locked them away in a closet, three years later they still stink up that closet.
The physical properties of the smell, though not the odor itself, reminds of that from naphthalene moth balls - it sticks around and accumulates.
Thanks for playing (:

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: