[visconti] Happy Halloween! Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - November 2010 » [visconti] Happy Halloween! « Previous Next »

Visconti (Visconti)
Username: Visconti

Post Number: 320
Posted on Friday, October 29, 2010 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A Spooky Halloween Quickie:
Last night there was a knock on my door. After asking who it was, I began to cry.

Super fast $poilers, please refrain for a little while.
Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 7710
Posted on Friday, October 29, 2010 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

True story? FYOI? FSEI? "I" = you (Visconti)?

If not, "I" = H? A? M? A ghost? Is an urban legend relevant?

Knock on the door - did a person knock? Did something knock? The "knocker" - H? A? M? A trick-or-treater?
Visconti (Visconti)

Post Number: 321
Posted on Friday, October 29, 2010 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

True story? No FYOI? FSEI? yes "I" = you (Visconti)? Yes

If not, "I" = H? A? M? A ghost? Is an urban legend relevant? no

Knock on the door - did a person knock? yes Did something knock? The "knocker" - H? A? M? A trick-or-treater? The knocker was my 4 year old daugther, not trick-or-treating.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7718
Posted on Friday, October 29, 2010 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you cry because you were happy? Sad? Relevant where your daughter had been before she knocked? Was she lost? Did you think she was?
Visconti (Visconti)

Post Number: 325
Posted on Friday, October 29, 2010 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you cry because you were happy? mostly this Sad? not this Relevant where your daughter had been before she knocked? no Was she lost? no Did you think she was? no
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7728
Posted on Friday, October 29, 2010 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you cry because of something you saw? Heard? Smelled? Said? Tasted? Felt? Because of something she said?
Visconti (Visconti)

Post Number: 331
Posted on Friday, October 29, 2010 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you cry because of something you saw? no Heard? yes Smelled? no Said? no Tasted? no Felt? no Because of something she said? yes
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7733
Posted on Friday, October 29, 2010 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What she said - just one word? A phrase? A sentence? More than that? Did you say something to her? Did she say only one thing? Or more? Did you say only one thing? Or more? Or nothing at all?
Visconti (Visconti)

Post Number: 333
Posted on Friday, October 29, 2010 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What she said - just one word? A phrase? A sentence? More than that? a few phrases Did you say something to her? yes Did she say only one thing? Or more? a few things Did you say only one thing? Or more? a few things Or nothing at all?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7739
Posted on Friday, October 29, 2010 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So this was a conversation? Was it about school? Is the time of day relevant when this occurred? The specific day? Is your family relevant?
Potato (Potato)
Username: Potato

Post Number: 154
Posted on Friday, October 29, 2010 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you cry with relief? Or pride? Or joy?

Did you cry because of what your daughter said or was the reason something completely different? Like, were you being tickled? xD

By the way, what do FYOI and FSEI mean?
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 1146
Posted on Friday, October 29, 2010 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

FYOI = From Your Own Imagination, FSEI = From Someone Else's Imagination (and to round it out, FMOI = From My Own Imagination). They're things you say when trying to determine (or for the one I threw in, explaining) whether something is a true story, or one of these.
Potato (Potato)

Post Number: 155
Posted on Friday, October 29, 2010 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ah, thanks! :-)
Visconti (Visconti)

Post Number: 336
Posted on Saturday, October 30, 2010 - 3:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So this was a conversation? a few phrases back and forth, but i wouldn't call it a conversation Was it about school? no Is the time of day relevant when this occurred? no The specific day? not really, but it came up because it's close to Halloween. Is your family relevant? no
Visconti (Visconti)

Post Number: 337
Posted on Saturday, October 30, 2010 - 3:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you cry with relief? no Or pride? no Or joy? this is the closest, but be careful of a FA

Did you cry because of what your daughter said or was the reason something completely different? i reacted in response to what we both saying Like, were you being tickled? great question, but i will still say no xD 8o
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7777
Posted on Saturday, October 30, 2010 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you say the same thing at the same time? Was the conversation about trick-or-treating? Candy? Something Halloween-related?
Visconti (Visconti)

Post Number: 339
Posted on Sunday, October 31, 2010 - 2:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you say the same thing at the same time? no Was the conversation about trick-or-treating? yope Candy? no Something Halloween-related? yope
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7791
Posted on Sunday, October 31, 2010 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the conversation about pumpkins? Carving them?
Visconti (Visconti)

Post Number: 341
Posted on Sunday, October 31, 2010 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the conversation about pumpkins? no Carving them? no
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7806
Posted on Sunday, October 31, 2010 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the conversation about any type of food?
Potato (Potato)

Post Number: 181
Posted on Monday, November 01, 2010 - 12:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are horror stories/movies/books relevant?
Visconti (Visconti)

Post Number: 342
Posted on Monday, November 01, 2010 - 6:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the conversation about any type of food? No

Are horror stories/movies/books relevant? No
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7812
Posted on Monday, November 01, 2010 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the conversation involve something she did? Something you did? Something a group of people did? Something anyone did?
Visconti (Visconti)

Post Number: 344
Posted on Monday, November 01, 2010 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the conversation involve something she did? Something you did? Something a group of people did? Something anyone did? None of these. Was hoping this would be solved prior to Halloween. Let me give you a hint... it was quite a silly little 'conversation' we had.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7820
Posted on Monday, November 01, 2010 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you laugh as well as cry? Is the Great Pumpkin relevant?
Visconti (Visconti)

Post Number: 347
Posted on Monday, November 01, 2010 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you laugh as well as cry? cried, then laughed. then she went over to mommy, and did the same thing with her Is the Great Pumpkin relevant? no
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7835
Posted on Monday, November 01, 2010 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When you first cried, were you sad? Upset? Scared? Did she pull a trick on you?
Visconti (Visconti)

Post Number: 348
Posted on Monday, November 01, 2010 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When you first cried, were you sad? Upset? Scared? not really any of these, really kind of happy Did she pull a trick on you? yes, a verbal trick
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7841
Posted on Monday, November 01, 2010 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did she say something with a double meaning? Homophones relevant?
Visconti (Visconti)

Post Number: 353
Posted on Tuesday, November 02, 2010 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did she say something with a double meaning? Yes Homophones relevant? yes
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7908
Posted on Tuesday, November 02, 2010 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the homophone a common one? To/too/two? Hear/here? There/their/they're?
Visconti (Visconti)

Post Number: 355
Posted on Tuesday, November 02, 2010 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the homophone a common one? To/too/two? Hear/here? There/their/they're? none of these, not a common one
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7911
Posted on Tuesday, November 02, 2010 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you cry before you realized the double meaning? After? Same questions for laughing?
Visconti (Visconti)

Post Number: 356
Posted on Tuesday, November 02, 2010 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you cry before you realized the double meaning? no After? yes Same questions for laughing? I laughed only a few seconds after I criend
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7914
Posted on Tuesday, November 02, 2010 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would it help to figure out the topic of the conversation? Did the trick seem like a natural part of the conversation?
Visconti (Visconti)

Post Number: 357
Posted on Tuesday, November 02, 2010 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would it help to figure out the topic of the conversation? yea, kind of Did the trick seem like a natural part of the conversation? the trick was the conversation
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7925
Posted on Tuesday, November 02, 2010 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was she trying to get you to say something with a double meaning? One of those " what are you eating under there? / under where? " tricks?
Visconti (Visconti)

Post Number: 362
Posted on Tuesday, November 02, 2010 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was she trying to get you to say something with a double meaning? One of those " what are you eating under there? / under where? " tricks? yes! but not this
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7933
Posted on Tuesday, November 02, 2010 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it relevant that this started with her knocking on the door? Or could you have been sitting next to each other?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7934
Posted on Tuesday, November 02, 2010 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it relevant that this started with her knocking on the door? Or could you have been sitting next to each other?
Visconti (Visconti)

Post Number: 365
Posted on Tuesday, November 02, 2010 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it relevant that this started with her knocking on the door? yes Or could you have been sitting next to each other? yes, i guess, maybe...

Balin, you're going to kick yourself when this is over.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7946
Posted on Tuesday, November 02, 2010 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You're probably right.

Did the conversation have anything to do with the LTPF?
Noel (Noel)
Username: Noel

Post Number: 2003
Posted on Tuesday, November 02, 2010 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

was it a knock-knock joke?
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 2004
Posted on Tuesday, November 02, 2010 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This just dawned on me...
*groan*, is it the knock-knock joke that ends with "boo-hoo"?
Visconti (Visconti)

Post Number: 368
Posted on Tuesday, November 02, 2010 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Once again, Balin does the work, and it gets stolen at the end. Nice work.

**** SPOILER *****
Rehearsing some Halloween jokes, my daugther said to me:

Knock Knock (Who's there?)
Boo! (Boo-Hoo?)
You don't have to cry about it!

Silly, I know, but... there ya go.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7956
Posted on Tuesday, November 02, 2010 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

's-OK, I'd totally forgotten about that joke.

Nice puzzle, Visconti, and nice solve, Noel!
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 2007
Posted on Tuesday, November 02, 2010 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry to swoop in on it like that. I've been following this one but have been completely stumped (even to the point that I couldn't think of any questions to answer) until the answer suddenly popped into my head.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: