[Cup of Sun] I wonder why... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - December 2010 » [Cup of Sun] I wonder why... « Previous Next »

Cupofsun1 (Cupofsun1)
Username: Cupofsun1

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, November 30, 2010 - 12:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So, I've forgotten my password, and apparently there is no way to recover this on LTPF. Sad face. But this is the same Cupofsun you've always known... Here is my new puzzle:

Why were my family and I looking and searching yesterday for a person we had never met, nor had any correspondence with ever?
Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 8873
Posted on Tuesday, November 30, 2010 - 12:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nice to see you again!

Person - H? A? M?

Looking and searching - physically? On the Internet?

Were you intending to have some sort of correspondence with this person? To meet this person?

Person - someone on the LTPF?
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 1758
Posted on Tuesday, November 30, 2010 - 1:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi Cupofsun! :-) nice to see you :-D

If Person is not H/A/M...H/A/F?

Balin asked all my questions. How inconvenient, lol.
Cupofsun1 (Cupofsun1)

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, November 30, 2010 - 2:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Person - H? A? M? Yes

Looking and searching - physically? Yes On the Internet? No

Were you intending to have some sort of correspondence with this person? Yes To meet this person? Yes

Person - someone on the LTPF? Yes. You are way too good.

-

If Person is not H/A/M...H/A/F? See above

Post Number: 1761
Posted on Tuesday, November 30, 2010 - 2:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Someone on the LTPF...Admin? Woubit? Balin? Galfisk? ISH? Woodworm? Whirligig? Rbruma? Or, now that I've checked your profile (lol)

Gregory Coke? *ahem* I mean, gregoryuconn? Aka Mr. Coke, the benevolent ruler of Gregory Coke Land. :-D
Cupofsun1 (Cupofsun1)

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, November 30, 2010 - 3:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Someone on the LTPF...Admin? Woubit? Balin? Galfisk? ISH? Woodworm? Whirligig? Rbruma? Or, now that I've checked your profile (lol)

Gregory Coke? YUP. Did I say you guys (and gals) are way to good? I meant IMPECCABLE. *ahem* I mean, gregoryuconn? Aka Mr. Coke, the benevolent ruler of Gregory Coke Land. :-D That would be the one...
Gregoryuconn (Gregoryuconn)
Username: Gregoryuconn

Post Number: 405
Posted on Tuesday, November 30, 2010 - 3:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cupofsun, for including me in your puzzle, I make you the Secretary of Sunshine and Meteorology in Gregory Coke Land. And your family can be your secretary, which means they're the Secretary's secretary. But they actually do secretary stuff and you do boss stuff.

Post Number: 1762
Posted on Tuesday, November 30, 2010 - 3:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were you looking for him because he's a distant relative? Because you wanted to meet him? Because he's the ruler of Gregory Coke Land and you wanted in? (Now you've got that, anyway) Because you think he's awesome? :-D (Don't we all??)
Cupofsun1 (Cupofsun1)

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, November 30, 2010 - 4:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cupofsun, for including me in your puzzle, I make you the Secretary of Sunshine and Meteorology in Gregory Coke Land. And your family can be your secretary, which means they're the Secretary's secretary. But they actually do secretary stuff and you do boss stuff. I am so glad to be the secretary of sunshine. And I've been waiting for an excuse to make minions of my family anyway, so, thank you very much. I'm the boss now.

-

Were you looking for him because he's a distant relative? No Because you wanted to meet him?Yes Because he's the ruler of Gregory Coke Land and you wanted in? (Now you've got that, anyway) Because you think he's awesome? :-D (Don't we all??)All of the above, but there was a more specific reason.

Post Number: 1763
Posted on Tuesday, November 30, 2010 - 4:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Because you wanted to know where Gregory Coke Land was?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8887
Posted on Tuesday, November 30, 2010 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Because you're from Connecticut? And since Gregory is attending college in CT, it might be easy to set up a meeting?

I actually did the same thing yesterday (looking up Mr. Koch)...I'm from CT, but I am in college in NC.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8889
Posted on Tuesday, November 30, 2010 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Continuing on that line of thought, Storrs and Willimantic are very close...so...it wouldn't be that difficult to set up a meeting?
Cupofsun1 (Cupofsun1)

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, November 30, 2010 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Because you wanted to know where Gregory Coke Land was? Well, in a way, I suppose...
-

Because you're from Connecticut? And since Gregory is attending college in CT, it might be easy to set up a meeting? This is close. But keep in mind, we did not set up a meeting, we were just looking for him.

I actually did the same thing yesterday (looking up Mr. Koch)...I'm from CT, but I am in college in NC. You know Balin, I've actually looked you up as well, seeing that you were from Connecticut. I'd say our political views are quite different, but I do appreciate people of faith, whatever that faith may be. I also find it great that your blog is about faith, politics and BASEBALL :]. Maybe you and Greg have something in common that will help you figure out the missing piece to this puzzle.

-

Continuing on that line of thought, Storrs and Willimantic are very close...so...it wouldn't be that difficult to set up a meeting? This is true, but I did not set up a meeting with Greg.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8898
Posted on Tuesday, November 30, 2010 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is baseball, by any chance, relevant?

Any one of Gregory's puzzles relevant? Any of mine?
Cupofsun1 (Cupofsun1)

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, December 01, 2010 - 4:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is baseball, by any chance, relevant? No

Any one of Gregory's puzzles relevant? Any of mine? No
Noel (Noel)
Username: Noel

Post Number: 2074
Posted on Wednesday, December 01, 2010 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is college relevant? Sports?

Post Number: 1773
Posted on Wednesday, December 01, 2010 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are any of *my* puzzles relevant? The origin of the "Mr. Coke" nickname? Of "Gregory Coke Land"? (Although I don't *think* the latter was in my puzzle, but it may have been my fault...someone with a better memory help me, lol)
Cupofsun1 (Cupofsun1)

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, December 01, 2010 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is college relevant? Sports? Yes to both
Good to see you again Noel!
-

Are any of *my* puzzles relevant? The origin of the "Mr. Coke" nickname? Of "Gregory Coke Land"? (Although I don't *think* the latter was in my puzzle, but it may have been my fault...someone with a better memory help me, lol) No other puzzles are relevant. It's only relevant that Gregory is on the LTPF.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8928
Posted on Wednesday, December 01, 2010 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

College sports? Football? Basketball? Men's? Women's? UConn Huskies relevant?
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 2075
Posted on Wednesday, December 01, 2010 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good to see you, too!

Is a specific sport relevant?
If so:
Football?
Basketball?
Lacrosse?
Rugby?
Soccer?
Softball?
Hockey?
If none of those, is it a team sport? Or indvidual?

Are rivalry games relevant? Is the college you attended relevant? Is it a rival of UConn? Did you attend UConn?
Cupofsun1 (Cupofsun1)

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, December 02, 2010 - 2:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

College sports? Football? Basketball? Men's? Women's? UConn Huskies relevant? Uconn Huskies Womens Basketball, relevant. No others.

Is a specific sport relevant?
If so:
Football?
Basketball? See Above
Lacrosse?
Rugby?
Soccer?
Softball?
Hockey?
If none of those, is it a team sport? Or indvidual?

Are rivalry games relevant? Is the college you attended relevant? Is it a rival of UConn? Did you attend UConn? No to all
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8944
Posted on Thursday, December 02, 2010 - 4:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are you planning on attending a game soon? Are you trying to find out if Gregory will be attending as well?

The team's 80-something game winning streak relevant?
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 2079
Posted on Thursday, December 02, 2010 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are tickets to the game relevant? Were you, perhaps, trying to see if you could obtain a student-priced ticket through Gregory?

Post Number: 421
Posted on Thursday, December 02, 2010 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For the record, you couldn't get a student ticket from me if you wanted to seeing as you don't have a student ID so they wouldn't let you in the building. So don't try it. Then again, on the day this occurred I managed to get into Gampel without showing my ID since it was before the first game of a doubleheader - well before in fact, so I guess they didn't care. And then I stayed straight through. But I won't say any more lest I $POIL. But don't let Noel give you any ideas.

Post Number: 422
Posted on Thursday, December 02, 2010 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oops, I may have said too much. I won't say why I may have, because that would be saying more too much. Sorry.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8963
Posted on Thursday, December 02, 2010 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the two of you meet by chance at a UConn women's basketball game?
Cupofsun1 (Cupofsun1)

Post Number: 9
Posted on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 6:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are you planning on attending a game soon? No Are you trying to find out if Gregory will be attending as well? I did do this, but there's a bit of a FA lurking here.

The team's 80-something game winning streak relevant? No

-

Are tickets to the game relevant? Were you, perhaps, trying to see if you could obtain a student-priced ticket through Gregory?
None of the above
-

For the record, you couldn't get a student ticket from me if you wanted to seeing as you don't have a student ID so they wouldn't let you in the building. So don't try it. Then again, on the day this occurred I managed to get into Gampel without showing my ID since it was before the first game of a doubleheader - well before in fact, so I guess they didn't care. And then I stayed straight through. But I won't say any more lest I $POIL. But don't let Noel give you any ideas.

Oops, I may have said too much. I won't say why I may have, because that would be saying more too much. Sorry.

I hate to say it Greg, but I think you did say a bit too much. "The day this occurred" at "Gampel" made it a little obvious, don't you think?

-

Did the two of you meet by chance at a UConn women's basketball game? No, this isn't exactly what happened though. DOYD of "by chance".
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 9077
Posted on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you meet Gregory? Did you know he would be there? Did he know you would be there?
Cupofsun1 (Cupofsun1)

Post Number: 10
Posted on Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 5:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you meet Gregory? Yes Did you know he would be there? I did Did he know you would be there? He did not
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 9120
Posted on Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So, knowing he was at the game, you and your family were "looking and searching" for him? And given that you have met him, I take it you were successful?

Post Number: 461
Posted on Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, "Gampel" didn't give away anything because you had already mentioned UConn basketball. So all that gave away was that it didn't happen at XL Center, which doesn't really give much away. As for "the day this occurred", yeah, I realized that once I hit post. Sorry. :-(. I read too fast and thought we'd already deduced something. But I won't say what because we still haven't deduced it.
Cupofsun1 (Cupofsun1)

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, December 09, 2010 - 1:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So, knowing he was at the game, you and your family were "looking and searching" for him? Yes And given that you have met him, I take it you were successful? Indeed we were
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 9342
Posted on Thursday, December 09, 2010 - 3:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you have any conversation with Gregory before the game? Did you read something online that said he would be at the game? His Facebook page?
Cupofsun1 (Cupofsun1)

Post Number: 12
Posted on Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you have any conversation with Gregory before the game? No Did you read something online that said he would be at the game? Yesish His Facebook page? No, but I did look at this for other reasons.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 9627
Posted on Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you read something he'd said/written online? Did you know for sure he'd be at the game? Or were you mostly certain?
Cupofsun1 (Cupofsun1)

Post Number: 13
Posted on Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you read something he'd said/written online? Yes Did you know for sure he'd be at the game? No Or were you mostly certain? I was unsure if he would be there.

This is pretty much a SPOILERRRR by this point:

Upon my return to the LTPF, I was surprised to see a new super user who had "uconn" in his handle, as I grew up there and live right nearby. So I of course googled him and found his facebook and also his sports blog: http://greguconngames.wordpress.com/

Now, greg has a system for showing which games he plans to attend, which he won't, and which are maybes. Unfortunately, for the game in question, he had not used any of his codes, so I was unsure whether he would be there at all. But I figured we'd have to keep an eye out for him.

Low and behold we saw a Gregory-Koch-looking-character in the student section, at which point I yelled to him, he turned his head, and my girlfriend and I ran down to meet him. He seemed genuinely baffled, and perhaps a bit taken aback. But yes, I have now been to "gregory coke land" in real life. Haha.

Has anyone else ever met someone through the LTPF?

Post Number: 2008
Posted on Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I haven't yet...in my puzzle "Mountains of Lore and Wonder," I got notified that someone else noted the Santa Cruz Mountains as their "local" mountains (the "someone else" escapes me currently...) but no, we did not meet up. The most I've done is email people. I'd love to meet up sometime, ala the "LTPF Convention" that was the subject of another puzzle (Balin's?) or something.

Hurrah for Gregory Coke Land in real life! :-D

Post Number: 542
Posted on Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just as a disclaimer I don't use that blog anymore since I started writing for Bleacherreport. I should put that in my profile instead. `

Post Number: 543
Posted on Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Actually, apparently I already did.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 9816
Posted on Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Consider me a Gregory-Coke-Blog lurker now!
Cupofsun1 (Cupofsun1)

Post Number: 29
Posted on Thursday, December 23, 2010 - 2:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A LTPF Convention would be AWESOME. Bring your best puzzles and games and bunker down for some dork outs!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: