[Balin] Yet another of these weird words Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - December 2010 » [Balin] Yet another of these weird words « Previous Next »

Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 9696
Posted on Saturday, December 18, 2010 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Another neologism:

I have noticed a recent trend which I am calling iobumniolnofing. I do not iobumniolnof, and I have noticed that more girls do this than guys.

What does it mean to iobumniolnof?
Doriana (Doriana)
Username: Doriana

Post Number: 20
Posted on Saturday, December 18, 2010 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Could you explain this kind of puzzle to me, please? As I understand it, iobumniolnof is just a random (?) combination of lettres that represent something else?! Thanks (:
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 1972
Posted on Sunday, December 19, 2010 - 12:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Neologisms are "words", which can be made of randomly chosen letters, but are also often acronyms or part-acronyms of the thing they refer to. For example, I made a neologism, "pumvalefiac" for "PUtting Malt Vinegar And LEmon on FIsh and Chips".
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 22
Posted on Sunday, December 19, 2010 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the explanation!

Recent = in the past days? weeks? months? years?
Did you notice it on the internet? Facebook?
Is it limited to a certain age range? Do some of your friends do it?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 9698
Posted on Sunday, December 19, 2010 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Recent = in the past days? weeks? months? This years?
Did you notice it on the internet? Yes Facebook? YES
Is it limited to a certain age range? Not necessarily limited, but certainly more common among those of a certain age. Do some of your friends do it? Yes
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 23
Posted on Sunday, December 19, 2010 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't really know what made me think of facebook, but most current "trends" seem to take place on the internet.

Do the last 2 letters, of, stand for "on facebook"?
Is it more common among teenagers? Does it have to do with sharing certain contents? Photos? Videos? Statuses? Could this happen in another social network (e.g. Myspace)?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 9710
Posted on Sunday, December 19, 2010 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't really know what made me think of facebook, but most current "trends" seem to take place on the internet. Well, whatever the cause, it was the right idea - nice!

Do the last 2 letters, "of," stand for "on facebook"? Yes
Is it more common among teenagers? Yes Does it have to do with sharing certain contents? Photos? Videos? Statuses? Noish to all Could this happen in another social network (e.g. Myspace)? Probably, but it's definitely most common on Facebook.
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 29
Posted on Sunday, December 19, 2010 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is this trend annoying you? Are there any facebook games (Farmville etc.) involved? Does it have to do with commenting on other people's activities?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 9718
Posted on Sunday, December 19, 2010 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is this trend annoying you? A little bit, yes Are there any facebook games (Farmville etc.) involved? No Does it have to do with commenting on other people's activities? Noish
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 33
Posted on Sunday, December 19, 2010 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does it have to do with sending friend requests? Accepting them? Ignoring them?
Does it have to do with grammar/spelling?
Does it have to do with "liking" pages/other content?
Is Facebook Places relevant?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 9727
Posted on Sunday, December 19, 2010 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does it have to do with sending friend requests? Accepting them? Ignoring them? No
Does it have to do with grammar/spelling? Noish
Does it have to do with "liking" pages/other content? No
Is Facebook Places relevant? No
Fandres17 (Fandres17)
Username: Fandres17

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, December 20, 2010 - 4:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Could you please explain me what is Noish?
I'm new, so there are few things which are not familiar to me
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 9754
Posted on Monday, December 20, 2010 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Could you please explain me what is Noish?
I'm new, so there are few things which are not familiar to me Sure, and welcome to the forum, Fandres!

"Noish" is almost the same as "No," but with an exception, limitation, or condition attached. See this page for more on this and other LTPF jargon.
Fandres17 (Fandres17)
Username: Fandres17

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, December 20, 2010 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the welcome.

Is it related with nicknames?
The reason why you do not like it is because it is embarrasing for you? or maybe you think it is stupid?
Is this trend real?
Do you know about of this trend because you know the people that do it? or is it because it is evident?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 9760
Posted on Monday, December 20, 2010 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the welcome.

Is it related with nicknames? No, but very OTRT
The reason why you do not like it is because it is embarrasing for you? No or maybe you think it is stupid? More "pointless" than "stupid"
Is this trend real? Yes
Do you know about of this trend because you know the people that do it? Well, some of them or is it because it is evident? This too
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 45
Posted on Monday, December 20, 2010 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it related to changing your name? E.g. using a fake last name instead of your real one?
Is the amound of girls who do it considerably higher than the amount of boys?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 9765
Posted on Monday, December 20, 2010 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it related to changing your name? Yope E.g. using a fake last name No instead of your real one? Yes
Is the amound of girls who do it considerably higher than the amount of boys? Definitely
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 47
Posted on Monday, December 20, 2010 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do they add something to their name? Stars, hearts, smileys? Or do they replace a part of their name by something else? Do they use the last name of a celebrity that they have a crush on? Do they use their middle name instead of their last name (if yes, I'm definitely trendy!)? Does of the the "n"s in your word stand for "name"?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 9773
Posted on Monday, December 20, 2010 - 11:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do they add something to their name? Stars, hearts, smileys? Or do they replace a part of their name by something else? Do they use the last name of a celebrity that they have a crush on? Does of the the "n"s in your word stand for "name"? Skipping these questions because...

Do they use their middle name instead of their last name (if yes, I'm definitely trendy!)? ...this is the right answer!

**********SPOILER**********

To iobumniolnof is to use your middle name instead of your last name on Facebook. I do not know a single male who does this, but I can name plenty of females who do...more and more.

The word, by the way, is an acronym of "identifying oneself by using middle name instead of last name on Facebook." And if anyone cares, I pronounce it "eye-oh-BUM-knee-ole-NOFF."

Nice work to all, and credit the trendy Doriana with the solve. Does anyone else here do this?
Kaygee (Kaygee)
Username: Kaygee

Post Number: 641
Posted on Wednesday, December 22, 2010 - 4:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Really? I haven't noticed that trend, yet.

About a year ago, I removed my middle name, maiden name and birthday from my Facebook profile. The only bad thing about that is that no one posts happy birthday messages to me on my birthday! <sigh>
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 2045
Posted on Wednesday, December 22, 2010 - 4:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I use my real full name. Probably a bad idea, but...*shrug* What can I do, anyway?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: