[Balin] Christmas Speed Adventures: S... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - December 2010 » [Balin] Christmas Speed Adventures: Some Assembly Required « Previous Next »

Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 9832
Posted on Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A Christmas-themed Speed Adventure while I work on Part III of my LV trilogy. Same rules as Whirligig's (in the November 2010 solved section) - remember, only posts involving action count as posts. Here goes:

Room 1:

You are in near-pitch darkness, barely able to see a thing.
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 2011
Posted on Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"barely able to see a thing"...is there anything you *can* see?

Describe what you are able to see, hear, smell, touch, and if relevant, taste, to the best of your ability. What position are you in?

Post Number: 2012
Posted on Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

note: that wasn't meant as a "do everything in the room to get out" post, that was just "what can you figure out about what's in the room without going anywhere in particular", so I have a better idea of what we're doing.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 9839
Posted on Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"barely able to see a thing"...is there anything you *can* see? Yes - see below

Describe what you are able to see, hear, smell, touch, and if relevant, taste, to the best of your ability. On the ground, you can see two white paper bags with what appear to be candles in them - luminaries. There's a small box-like object behind the one on the left.

The two luminaries are on either side of what feels like a sidewalk. Aside from the sidewalk, there is only grass.

What position are you in? Standing up.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 9840
Posted on Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

note: that wasn't meant as a "do everything in the room to get out" post, that was just "what can you figure out about what's in the room without going anywhere in particular", so I have a better idea of what we're doing. Not a problem.

Post Number: 2013
Posted on Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had to look up luminaries to see exactly how they worked, but I think I get the idea. Are the candles lit? If so, try not to tip them over... Go see what the box-like object is.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 9844
Posted on Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had to look up luminaries to see exactly how they worked, but I think I get the idea. Are the candles lit? No. If so, try not to tip them over... Go see what the box-like object is. You take a closer look. It appears to be a large matchbox.

Post Number: 2016
Posted on Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 11:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ah. Take a match from the matchbox, light it, and use it to light the candles. That ought to help, I'd think.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 9845
Posted on Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ah. Take a match from the matchbox, light it, and use it to light the candles. That ought to help, I'd think. After lighting the first candle, the match burns out, so you use another one for the second. The luminaries light up the area a little bit, revealing two more luminaries further along the sidewalk. You can also see that you are in a front yard, and there is a tall wrought-iron fence blocking the way behind you, as well as enclosing the left and right sides of the yard.

Post Number: 2018
Posted on Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are there enough matches to light the rest of the luminaries? (I know it's not a good idea to presume things, but even so, I presume there's more than four luminaries...or else an extremely short path) If not, would it be advisable to use one of the candles to light the others?

Check out the fence. Is there a gate? If so, is it locked? And if it is, how is it locked? After the candles are all lit, look around the yard and see what else there is to see, if anything.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 9847
Posted on Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Forgot to say after the last post: 4 posts remaining

Are there enough matches to light the rest of the luminaries? You use the matches to light the next two luminaries, revealing two more. This goes on for a while, as this is apparently a long sidewalk.

As you start running low on matches, you notice a large, ornate silver key mixed among the matches.

Finally, you use the last two matches to light the last two luminaries, revealing a house at the end of the sidewalk. The fence goes completely around the yard to the sides of the house, so there's no way to go around the house.

(I know it's not a good idea to presume things, but even so, I presume there's more than four luminaries...or else an extremely short path) If not, would it be advisable to use one of the candles to light the others? The candles - and luminaries - are fixed in place.

Check out the fence. Is there a gate? No. If so, is it locked? And if it is, how is it locked? After the candles are all lit, look around the yard and see what else there is to see, if anything. The only door appears to be the front door to the house, and there are no windows.

3 posts remaining
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 9849
Posted on Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I also forgot to say: inventory is cumulative in this adventure, and carries over from room to room.

Post Number: 2020
Posted on Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Take a look at the house, and particularly the door (assuming there is one...I'd think so, but then you never know with this kind of thing) Assuming that there is, in fact, a door to the house, and that it has a keyhole, use the silver key in the keyhole. If it locks differently, please describe. If there is no door, please tell us what there is instead.

Post Number: 2021
Posted on Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ignore my rambling about "if there is a front door"...you just said there was. I'm not feeling very well, so I occasionally miss key things. Please excuse my last post. Use the silver key to open the door.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 9850
Posted on Wednesday, December 22, 2010 - 12:02 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Take a look at the house, and particularly the door (assuming there is one...I'd think so, but then you never know with this kind of thing) It's a large, wooden door. And it is locked. Assuming that there is, in fact, a door to the house, and that it has a keyhole, use the silver key in the keyhole. The key turns in the lock, and you open the door. If it locks differently, please describe. If there is no door, please tell us what there is instead.

This room: 7 points
Total score: 7 points

Room 2:

You step through the front door, which closes and locks behind you. You now find yourself in the house's foyer. On the right side of the room is a small table, on which is a gingerbread house. You're standing on a slightly oversized WELCOME mat.

Inventory:

Empty matchbox
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 9851
Posted on Wednesday, December 22, 2010 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ignore my rambling about "if there is a front door"...you just said there was. I'm not feeling very well, so I occasionally miss key things. Please excuse my last post. Use the silver key to open the door. Worry not - we actually cross-posted, as it took me forever to put Room 2 together.

Post Number: 2023
Posted on Wednesday, December 22, 2010 - 12:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Examine the mat, table and the gingerbread house more closely. Is there anything particularly noticeable about them?

What do the floor, walls, ceiling, and any other doors look like? Is there a staircase?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 9853
Posted on Wednesday, December 22, 2010 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Examine the mat, table and the gingerbread house more closely. Is there anything particularly noticeable about them? Not really; they all look pretty ordinary.

What do the floor, walls, ceiling, and any other doors look like? Is there a staircase? The walls, ceiling, and front door are all white. There are no other doors, and there is no staircase.

Post Number: 2026
Posted on Wednesday, December 22, 2010 - 12:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

...Well. How annoying. =P

If the gingerbread house is edible, try eating it.
Whirligig (Whirligig)
Username: Whirligig

Post Number: 594
Posted on Wednesday, December 22, 2010 - 12:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey, how about instead of creating spin-offs of my puzzles, you actually post questions on them? It's been a while ... :P

How is the room lit?

Why couldn't you have taken the key out of the lock before you went inside?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 9856
Posted on Wednesday, December 22, 2010 - 12:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

...Well. How annoying. =P ...but if it weren't annoying, would it be easy?

If the gingerbread house is edible, It is, but... try eating it. ...when you try to pick it up, it won't budge! Apparently, it's glued to the table. Weird.

4 posts remaining
Whirligig (Whirligig)
Username: Whirligig

Post Number: 595
Posted on Wednesday, December 22, 2010 - 12:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Also, what happens if you forget to take an item that you'll need later? What happens if you lose a room?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 9857
Posted on Wednesday, December 22, 2010 - 12:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Also, what happens if you forget to take an item that you'll need later? You won't - not everything is planned out, but I know how to arrange things so that doesn't happen. What happens if you lose a room? If you happen to pfad, you can still guess, ask questions, etc. in order to finish out the room; you just won't gain any points.

Post Number: 2028
Posted on Wednesday, December 22, 2010 - 12:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Break pieces off and eat them, ala Hansel & Gretel? Watch out for any witches...

Post Number: 2029
Posted on Wednesday, December 22, 2010 - 12:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I meant break pieces off the gingerbread house, of course...
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 9859
Posted on Wednesday, December 22, 2010 - 1:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Break pieces off and eat them, ala Hansel & Gretel? Watch out for any witches... You try to yank the gingerbread house apart, but that doesn't work, so you resort to smashing it. The gingerbread house crumbles into...well, crumbs, revealing a candy cane sticking straight up out of the table.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 9860
Posted on Wednesday, December 22, 2010 - 1:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Forgot AGAIN!!!

3 posts remaining

Post Number: 2031
Posted on Wednesday, December 22, 2010 - 1:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Examine the candy cane and tell us what you observe about it. Take the candy cane, if possible.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 9862
Posted on Wednesday, December 22, 2010 - 1:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Examine the candy cane and tell us what you observe about it. Stripyyyyy. Take the candy cane, if possible. You pull the candy cane out of the table, and hear a grinding sound from behind you. You turn around - nothing appears to have changed.

2 posts remaining

Post Number: 2033
Posted on Wednesday, December 22, 2010 - 1:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmm...look under the table? Is it possible to go back through the door and see if the fence has opened up or is that OTWT?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 9864
Posted on Wednesday, December 22, 2010 - 1:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmm...look under the table? Nothing there. Is it possible to go back through the door and see if the fence has opened up or is that OTWT? The front door locked behind you.

Post Number: 2035
Posted on Wednesday, December 22, 2010 - 1:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Drat. BTW, Balin, linked to my story. Nice work!

Check the walls and floor behind you more carefully. Nothing *appeared* to have changed, but appearances can be deceiving, can't they...?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 9866
Posted on Wednesday, December 22, 2010 - 1:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Check the walls and floor behind you more carefully. Nothing *appeared* to have changed, but appearances can be deceiving, can't they...? Without disturbing anything (and thus, without using another post), you look closely at the walls and floor. Nothing.

Post Number: 2036
Posted on Wednesday, December 22, 2010 - 1:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

...Is there anything *to* disturb?

How about the ceiling? Has it changed at all?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 9868
Posted on Wednesday, December 22, 2010 - 1:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

...Is there anything *to* disturb? Yes...you might want to re-read the description of the room.

How about the ceiling? Has it changed at all? Nope.

Post Number: 2037
Posted on Wednesday, December 22, 2010 - 1:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Go check out the WELCOME mat. Pick it up, if possible...is anything under it?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 9869
Posted on Wednesday, December 22, 2010 - 1:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Go check out the WELCOME mat. Pick it up, if possible...is anything under it? You drag the welcome mat aside to reveal...an open trapdoor! It must have opened when you took the candy cane. Anyway, you go down the trapdoor to the next room.

This room: 6 points
Total score: 13 points

Room 3:

You drop down into a deep pit, the trapdoor far out of reach. This appears to be an old well, made entirely of bricks.

Inventory:

Empty matchbox
Candy cane

Post Number: 2040
Posted on Wednesday, December 22, 2010 - 2:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hrm. Interesting. Anything inside the well? A bucket?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 9871
Posted on Wednesday, December 22, 2010 - 2:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hrm. Interesting. Anything inside the well? Well...you. And that seems to be everything, although there are some bricks sticking out from the well walls. A bucket?

Post Number: 2041
Posted on Wednesday, December 22, 2010 - 2:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Examine the bricks more closely. Are any of them loose?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 9873
Posted on Wednesday, December 22, 2010 - 3:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Examine the bricks more closely. There are nine bricks sticking out. One of them is about halfway up the well, and near it is an exposed metal bar, which is fairly thin. One of them is behind you, and it reads "We Wish You a Merry Christmas." The other seven are in front of you, and they all have different writing on them:

"AN EGYPTIAN GOD"
"A STATE"
"A PERUVIAN COIN"
"A RAPPER"
"AN ACTION"
"A CITY"
"AN LTPF ERROR"

Are any of them loose? They don't appear to be.

Oh, by the way, that candy cane? It's actually made of toughened plastic, as I forgot to mention.

Post Number: 2042
Posted on Wednesday, December 22, 2010 - 3:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Peruvian coin: nuevo sol? céntimo?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 9875
Posted on Wednesday, December 22, 2010 - 3:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Peruvian coin: nuevo sol? céntimo? Well, just a sol.

Post Number: 2043
Posted on Wednesday, December 22, 2010 - 4:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

An Egyptian god...any of these relevant? if so, which?
Companies of Gods

The Ennead of Heliopolis, meaning the nine – consisted of Atum, Geb, Isis, Nut, Osiris, Nephthys, Seth, Shu, and Tefnut

The Ogdoad of Hermopolis, eight deities who were worshipped in four female-male pairs; the females were associated with snakes and the males with frogs: Naunet and Nu, Amaunet and Amun, Kauket and Kuk, Hauhet and Huh.

The Ptah-Sekhmet-Nefertem triad of Memphis
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 9876
Posted on Wednesday, December 22, 2010 - 4:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

An Egyptian god...any of these relevant? Yes if so, which?
Companies of Gods

The Ennead of Heliopolis, meaning the nine – consisted of Atum Yope, No to rest , Geb, Isis, Nut, Osiris, Nephthys, Seth, Shu, and Tefnut

The Ogdoad of Hermopolis, eight deities who were worshipped in four female-male pairs; the females were associated with snakes and the males with frogs: Naunet and Nu, Amaunet and Amun, Kauket and Kuk, Hauhet and Huh.

The Ptah-Sekhmet-Nefertem triad of Memphis

Post Number: 2044
Posted on Wednesday, December 22, 2010 - 4:26 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"AN EGYPTIAN GOD" Yopishly Atum...Atum-Ra?
"A STATE" A U.S. state? A sovereign state?
"A PERUVIAN COIN" A sol
"A RAPPER" MC?
"AN ACTION" An equal and opposite reaction?
"A CITY" A capital city?
"AN LTPF ERROR" Double posting?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 9877
Posted on Wednesday, December 22, 2010 - 4:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"AN EGYPTIAN GOD" Yopishly Atum...Atum-Ra? Even closer...
"A STATE" A U.S. state? This A sovereign state?
"A PERUVIAN COIN" A sol Yes
"A RAPPER" MC? No, but you appear to have a general idea of what these are...
"AN ACTION" An equal and opposite reaction? No
"A CITY" A capital city? No
"AN LTPF ERROR" Double posting? No

Post Number: 2046
Posted on Wednesday, December 22, 2010 - 4:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"AN EGYPTIAN GOD": Ra?
"A STATE": AL, AK, AZ, AR, CA, CO, CT, DE, FL, GA, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NV, NH, NJ, NM, NY, NC, ND, OH, OK, OR, PA, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, WA, WV, WI, WY?
"A PERUVIAN COIN" A sol
"A RAPPER" MC? No, but you appear to have a general idea of what these are...Well, Wikipedia does. I'm still lost. Hint?
"AN ACTION" Walking? Running? Jumping? A verb?
"A CITY" Town? Village?
"AN LTPF ERROR" Being locked out and told to ask Admin? Forgetting one's name on posting a puzzle?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 9878
Posted on Wednesday, December 22, 2010 - 4:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"AN EGYPTIAN GOD": Ra? Even closer-er...
"A STATE": AL, AK, AZ, AR, CA, CO, CT, DE, FL, GA, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI This one, and it's important that you abbreviated it... , MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NV, NH, NJ, NM, NY, NC, ND, OH, OK, OR, PA, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, WA, WV, WI, WY?
"A RAPPER" MC? No, but you appear to have a general idea of what these are...Well, Wikipedia does. I'm still lost. Hint? Sure - you're looking for a specific rapper.
"AN ACTION" Walking? Running? Jumping? None of these A verb? Yes
"A CITY" Town? Village? Neither
"AN LTPF ERROR" Being locked out and told to ask Admin? Hee hee, no Forgetting one's name on posting a puzzle? No
Gregoryuconn (Gregoryuconn)
Username: Gregoryuconn

Post Number: 555
Posted on Wednesday, December 22, 2010 - 4:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LTPF Error = Fa?
Action = Do?
City = LA?
Egyptian god = Re?
Rapper = Ti (as in T-Paine?)

Oh, they are all the notes on Do re mi fa so la ti do (if Sol is contracted to So). So therefore I will start singing "Do re mi fa so la ti do". That failing, I will sing "Doe, a deer, a female deer ...." and if that fails, every other song from The Sound of Music that I can think of. All that failing, tap the bricks in the order of the scale, that is
1. ACTION
2. GOD
3. STATE
4. LTPF ERROR
5. COIN
6. CITY
7. RAPPER
(If nothing works, bring it back to DO and tap ACTION again)
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 9879
Posted on Wednesday, December 22, 2010 - 5:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LTPF Error = Fa?
Action = Do?
City = LA?
Egyptian god = Re?
Rapper = Ti (as in T-Paine?) Yes to all (with Ti being T.I.)

Oh, they are all the notes on Do re mi fa so la ti do (if Sol is contracted to So). Yep - and according to the local music education major (AKA my sister), "sol" is the proper solfege term. The perils of a music ed family member... So therefore I will start singing "Do re mi fa so la ti do". It echoes in the well. And nothing happens. That failing, I will sing "Doe, a deer, a female deer ...." and if that fails, every other song from The Sound of Music that I can think of. You belt it out, doing your best Julie Andrews et al impression, but nothing happens. All that failing, tap the bricks in the order of the scale, that is
1. ACTION
2. GOD
3. STATE
4. LTPF ERROR
5. COIN
6. CITY
7. RAPPER
(If nothing works, bring it back to DO and tap ACTION again) You try tapping them in that order, using the candy cane as a makeshift drumstick. Each brick produces the appropriate tone; however, "sol" is the lowest note, and "fa" is the highest. But after you've finished, nothing happens.

4 posts remaining

Post Number: 2047
Posted on Wednesday, December 22, 2010 - 5:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"AN EGYPTIAN GOD": Ra? Even closer-er... Horus? A Goa'uld?
"A STATE": MI This one, and it's important that you abbreviated it...It is?
"A RAPPER" you're looking for a specific rapper. H/A/M? H/A/F?
"AN ACTION" Walking? Running? Jumping? None of these A verb? Yes Was I OTRT at all?
"A CITY" Town? Village? Neither Hint? Sorry to keep asking.
"AN LTPF ERROR" Being locked out and told to ask Admin? Hee hee, no Forgetting one's name on posting a puzzle? No Umm...Doubleposting? Or posting more than twice even? Cross-posting?
Biograd (Biograd)
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 1345
Posted on Wednesday, December 22, 2010 - 6:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm guessing we need to play the tune to "We Wish You A Merry Christmas" with those bricks. Anyone know what the sequence of notes is?

Post Number: 2048
Posted on Wednesday, December 22, 2010 - 7:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

*wonders how Biograd came up with that plan...* Not that I don't think it'll work, but whatever lateral leap you made is beyond my tired mind at the moment...

Post Number: 2049
Posted on Wednesday, December 22, 2010 - 7:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Er, nevermind. Guess I never saw Mr. Coke's post...*reads*
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 9882
Posted on Wednesday, December 22, 2010 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm guessing we need to play the tune to "We Wish You A Merry Christmas" with those bricks. Anyone know what the sequence of notes is? I do!

By trial and error, you come up with the correct sequence:

Sol Do Do Re Do Ti La La
La Re Re Mi Re Do Ti Sol
Sol Mi Mi Fa Mi Re Do La
Sol Sol La Re Ti Do

After tapping that tune out with the candy cane, the "We Wish You a Merry Christmas" brick retracts into the well, revealing a hole.

3 posts remaining

Post Number: 2050
Posted on Wednesday, December 22, 2010 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How big of a hole is it? (Sorry I wasn't at my best puzzling last night...I hate being sick.)
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 9898
Posted on Wednesday, December 22, 2010 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How big of a hole is it? (Sorry I wasn't at my best puzzling last night...I hate being sick.) Big enough to reach your arm in.

And I hope you're feeling better!

Post Number: 2051
Posted on Wednesday, December 22, 2010 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Reach your arm in. What's in there? (And not much, no. *sigh* Ick. But at least DayQuil leaves me more puzzle-ly coherent than NyQuil.)
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 9901
Posted on Wednesday, December 22, 2010 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Reach your arm in. What's in there? You stick your arm into the hole, and pull out a long coil of thin rope. You tug on it - it could probably hold your weight.

2 posts remaining
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 9913
Posted on Wednesday, December 22, 2010 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow, I completely missed Whirligig's post today at 12:30 AM, referring to Room 2:

Hey, how about instead of creating spin-offs of my puzzles, you actually post questions on them? It's been a while ... :P Whoops! I'll get right on it.
How is the room lit? It's irrelevant now, but there was a big fluorescent light on the ceiling.

Why couldn't you have taken the key out of the lock before you went inside? It wouldn't come out of the lock.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 9951
Posted on Thursday, December 23, 2010 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ROOM RECAP:

You are in an old well made of bricks. There were 9 exposed bricks; by playing music on 7 of them you found a length of rope behind 1 of them. The other one is about halfway up the well, and near it is a thin metal bar going across the well (mathematically, the bar is acting as a chord, not a diameter).

You have 2 posts left.

INVENTORY:

Empty matchbox
Candy cane (made of toughened plastic)
Length of thin rope
Biograd (Biograd)
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 1357
Posted on Friday, December 24, 2010 - 1:37 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you were to throw the rope over the bar, does it look like it could hold your weight? Would you be able to climb out once you had pulled yourself up to the height of the bar?

If the answer to both of those is "Yes", then do it.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 9954
Posted on Friday, December 24, 2010 - 2:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you were to throw the rope over the bar, does it look like it could hold your weight? It probably could hold your weight, but you wouldn't be able to throw the rope over the bar -at least, not without some sort of weight or hook on it. Would you be able to climb out once you had pulled yourself up to the height of the bar? Not even close - the bar is only halfway up the pit.

If the answer to both of those is "Yes", then do it.

Post Number: 2063
Posted on Friday, December 24, 2010 - 7:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would the candy cane work as a weight?

Post Number: 564
Posted on Friday, December 24, 2010 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If the candy cane would work as a weight, climb up halfway and observe the other exposed brick. Also, try touching it and see what happens.

Post Number: 565
Posted on Friday, December 24, 2010 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Or alternatively, offer to give Balin a candy cane if he will get you out of the well.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 9958
Posted on Friday, December 24, 2010 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would the candy cane work as a weight? Probably; especially given that it's in the shape of a hook!

If the candy cane would work as a weight, climb up halfway and observe the other exposed brick. Also, try touching it and see what happens. You tie the candy cane onto the rope and toss it up. The candy cane hooks the metal bar, and you start climbing up the rope. You notice that the bar appears to be giving way, but you keep climbing.

As you continue going up, you feel the bar shaking, but there is no turning back now. Shaking, you reach the top, but as you do, the metal bar gives way and pulls a large chunk of bricks out of the well!

Instinctively, you drop the rope and grab the exposed brick, as the bar, candy cane, rope, and bricks go tumbling down the well. When the bar pulled the bricks out, they revealed a large hole in the side of the well, and fortunately for you, the brick you're hanging onto is right next to the hole!

Carefully, you slip through the hole, down a passageway, and into the next room.

Or alternatively, offer to give Balin a candy cane if he will get you out of the well. No thanks; plastic doesn't digest well.

Total score: 19 points

Room 4:

You are now in a dark room, probably a cellar. The walls are all rock, punctuated only by a wooden door in one wall. The way you entered - a hole in the wall - is far out of reach. The only thing here is a workbench with a chair. There is a note stapled to the chair, and a wooden Nativity set on the workbench.

Inventory:

Empty matchbox

Post Number: 2064
Posted on Friday, December 24, 2010 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Read what the note says. Check out the Nativity set and observe it in more detail.

It's Christmas Eve, Balin! Merry Christmas!
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 9970
Posted on Saturday, December 25, 2010 - 3:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Read what the note says. It says, "KEY UNDER KING." Check out the Nativity set and observe it in more detail. Well, there's Mary and Joseph, baby Jesus in the manger, two shepherds with two sheep, and the three Magi bearing gifts. All inside a wooden stable with a wooden star over it.

It's Christmas Eve, Balin! Merry Christmas! Merry Christmas, Kaylee!!

Post Number: 2069
Posted on Saturday, December 25, 2010 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Look under Jesus in the manger then. If that doesn't bear fruit, look under the Magi one by one.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 9988
Posted on Saturday, December 25, 2010 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Look under Jesus in the manger then. If that doesn't bear fruit, look under the Magi one by one. You lift the Jesus figure and find the brass key in the manger. The key opens the door, and you step into the next room.

This room: 10 points
Total score: 29 points

Room 5:

The door closes and locks behind you - you're still in the cellar. In front of you is an elevator, which appears to be non-operational. Next to it is a fuse box, and there's something lying in the center of the floor.

Inventory:

Empty matchbox

Post Number: 2074
Posted on Saturday, December 25, 2010 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Check out the "something". Describe.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 9992
Posted on Saturday, December 25, 2010 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Check out the "something". Describe. The "something" is a large brick, with three electrical wires wrapped around it and some writing on it:

Shopping list for my three daughters

A. - wants a doll
E. - wants a game
K. - wants to be surprised

Post Number: 2077
Posted on Saturday, December 25, 2010 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

...Oookay, who writes their shopping list on a *brick* and ties it up in *electrical wires*?!?!

Yeesh. Ok, so are the wires attached to anything electrical?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 10000
Posted on Saturday, December 25, 2010 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

...Oookay, who writes their shopping list on a *brick* and ties it up in *electrical wires*?!?! This guy, apparently.

Yeesh. Ok, so are the wires attached to anything electrical? No - they're just wrapped around the brick.

Post Number: 2082
Posted on Saturday, December 25, 2010 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Apparently so. So...do we have to find the guy? Find his three daughters? Find what they want? Frankly, I'm a little nervous about a guy who writes his shopping list on a brick and ties it up in electrical wires...
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 10006
Posted on Saturday, December 25, 2010 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Forgot to mention: the fuse box is padlocked shut.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 10007
Posted on Saturday, December 25, 2010 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Apparently so. So...do we have to find the guy? Find his three daughters? Find what they want? Frankly, I'm a little nervous about a guy who writes his shopping list on a brick and ties it up in electrical wires... Hmmm...I can answer the first two questions - no - but as for the last one, well, I cannot say.

Post Number: 2092
Posted on Saturday, December 25, 2010 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Er...open the fuse box?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 10018
Posted on Saturday, December 25, 2010 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Er...open the fuse box? You would gladly do that, except it's padlocked shut.

Post Number: 2094
Posted on Saturday, December 25, 2010 - 11:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

...Of course it is. I presume bashing the padlock or the fuse box with the brick won't change matters?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 10022
Posted on Saturday, December 25, 2010 - 11:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

...Of course it is. I presume bashing the padlock or the fuse box with the brick won't change matters? As a matter of fact, it does, as the padlock shatters after a few blows from the brick. The fuse box swings open, revealing six fuses: three on the left, and three on the right. Each fuse has some writing next to it, as well as a notch on it for attaching a wire.

4 posts remaining

Post Number: 2096
Posted on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 12:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What does the writing say? I imagine the wires on the brick go to the box, though I'm no electrician...
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 10025
Posted on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What does the writing say? I imagine the wires on the brick go to the box, though I'm no electrician... Well, the wires come off the brick. They are three individual wires, not connected to anything - at least, not at the moment.

Anyway, the writing for the fuses on the left, from top to bottom:

K T

L X S

M L E

And for the fuses on the right, top to bottom:

Barbie

Legos

Scrabble

Post Number: 2098
Posted on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 12:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmm, sounding the letter combinations out, I get "Katy", "Alexis", and "Emily"...presumably the "A, E, and K" from before?

In that case, since:

A. - wants a doll
E. - wants a game
K. - wants to be surprised,

then the Barbie must be for Alexis, the Scrabble for Emily, and the Legos for Katy. Attach the wires accordingly?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 10031
Posted on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 3:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmm, sounding the letter combinations out, I get "Katy", "Alexis", and "Emily"...presumably the "A, E, and K" from before?

In that case, since:

A. - wants a doll
E. - wants a game
K. - wants to be surprised,

then the Barbie must be for Alexis, the Scrabble for Emily, and the Legos for Katy. Attach the wires accordingly? You do so, and hear a "bing" to your left. The elevator doors are open, and you take the elevator up to the next room.

This room: 8 points
Total score: 38 points at the halfway mark.

Room 6:

You step out of the elevator and the doors close behind you. You're in a living room now. On the left wall is a roaring fire in a fireplace. In the back-left corner is a Christmas tree with six presents under it. In the back-right corner is a small trash can. High on the right wall is a vent cover, and set in the ceiling is a locked trapdoor. Something thin is taped over the lock in the trapdoor.

Behind you are the closed elevator doors. The elevator switch is smashed, so there's no way you can go back that way.

Inventory:

Empty matchbox
Brick

NOTE: This room has a maximum of 7 posts.

Post Number: 2102
Posted on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 3:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Look more closely at: The style of the living room in general - anything remarkable?
The fireplace. Describe.
The Christmas tree. Anything particular about the decorations that stands out?
The presents. What do they look like?

Study the right wall and tell us what you can see of the vent cover.
Can you tell what the something thin over the trapdoor is?
Anything in the small trash can?

(I'm hoping none of this is a "post", as it all just involves looking)
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 10036
Posted on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 5:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Look more closely at: The style of the living room in general - anything remarkable? Nope.
The fireplace. Describe. It's stone, and the fire is blazing bright.
The Christmas tree. Anything particular about the decorations that stands out? Nope. The decorations are pretty simple - lights and ornaments, and a big star on top.
The presents. What do they look like? They are all large boxes, more or less the same size.

Study the right wall and tell us what you can see of the vent cover. You can't tell how it's attached - in fact, you can't tell much about it at all.
Can you tell what the something thin over the trapdoor is? Not from here - if you could get closer, you could.
Anything in the small trash can? Yes - there appears to be a crumpled-up ball of wrapping paper.

(I'm hoping none of this is a "post", as it all just involves looking) Your hopes prove solid.

Post Number: 2106
Posted on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 5:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If it will help you, take the ball of wrapping paper from the trash can and smooth it out. If you do so, and if anything is written on it, read it. Does the trash can look sturdy enough to bear your weight when it's inverted, and is it big enough for that idea to be helpful, by the way?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 10040
Posted on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 5:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If it will help you, take the ball of wrapping paper from the trash can and smooth it out. You take the wrapping paper out and uncrinkle it, only to find a gold key hidden in the paper! (The flattened wrapping paper, by the way, is about the size of your average paperback book cover - maybe just a bit bigger.) If you do so, and if anything is written on it, read it. Nothing is written on the paper. Does the trash can look sturdy enough to bear your weight when it's inverted, and is it big enough for that idea to be helpful, by the way? The trash can is made of wicker, so you doubt it'd hold your weight. But maybe something else could do the trick...

4 posts remaining

Post Number: 2110
Posted on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 5:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, this key probably goes to the trapdoor, I'm thinking. Are any of the presents under the tree big enough? Or all three of the boxes together? Are they labeled?

Is it advisable to climb the tree itself? (I'm thinking about what happened when my poor elfling climbed the Yule tree in one of the latest stories Emma and I co-wrote...he knocked it over and rolled off, poor little Thranduil...)
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 10043
Posted on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 6:02 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, this key probably goes to the trapdoor, I'm thinking. Are any of the presents under the tree big enough? Or all three of the boxes together? There are six boxes, but yes...by stacking them like stairs, you can reach the trapdoor. You can also see that the item over the lock on the trapdoor is a long wooden match, held in place by three pieces of Scotch tape. Are they labeled? No.

Is it advisable to climb the tree itself? (I'm thinking about what happened when my poor elfling climbed the Yule tree in one of the latest stories Emma and I co-wrote...he knocked it over and rolled off, poor little Thranduil...) 'Twould probably be best not to climb the tree, else you make like the elfling.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 10044
Posted on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 6:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, and...

3 posts remaining

Post Number: 2112
Posted on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 6:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Six boxes...don't know why I said three...probably thinking of the three girls, lol. Sorry.

Untape the match and put it in your nice empty matchbox, so maybe it won't be so lonely. Then try the key in the lock.

And yes, would be a bad idea to make like the elfling...good thing we didn't have to.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 10046
Posted on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 6:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Six boxes...don't know why I said three...probably thinking of the three girls, lol. Sorry.

Untape the match and put it in your nice empty matchbox, so maybe it won't be so lonely. You do that. On a hunch, you keep the tape as well. Then try the key in the lock. You turn the gold key in the lock and push the trapdoor up. As you do this, a wooden ladder rises from the floorboards, allowing you to climb all the way up through the trapdoor and into the next room.

And yes, would be a bad idea to make like the elfling...good thing we didn't have to. So true...

Total score: 44 points

Room 7:

As the trapdoor closes, you look around. You're in an empty room. Empty, that is, except for a very fat man who is not so jolly. In fact, he looks quite sad. He has an unlit cigarette in his hand, and as you watch, he walks over and sits down, right on top of the trapdoor. There don't appear to be any other doors in the room.

Inventory:

Matchbox with 1 match
Brick
Piece of wrapping paper
3 pieces of Scotch tape

Post Number: 2116
Posted on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 6:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So there's literally nothing else in this room? Is there anything odd you notice about the ceiling? Floor? Walls?

What is the man wearing? What does he look like, other than very fat and not jolly?

Do you suppose he might be jollier if he had a light? (I wouldn't, as I hate cigarettes...I hope there's a window to open if he lights it up with our match)
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 10049
Posted on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 6:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So there's literally nothing else in this room? Yup. Is there anything odd you notice about the ceiling? Floor? Walls? Not at first sight, no.

What is the man wearing? A large, black bathrobe. What does he look like, other than very fat and not jolly? He's balding and doesn't look like he's shaved in a few days.

Do you suppose he might be jollier if he had a light? Who knows...maybe you should ask him? (I wouldn't, as I hate cigarettes... I'm not a fan of them either... I hope there's a window to open if he lights it up with our match)

Post Number: 2118
Posted on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 6:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

(Well, *is* there a window of any description? *is tempted to make one by throwing the brick through the wall, if there isn't* =P)

"Excuse me, sir, what's your name? You look rather dispirited...you might be happier if you gave up smoking...but until you have the willpower to do that, I have a light for you. Do you need any other help?"
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 10056
Posted on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

(Well, *is* there a window of any description? *is tempted to make one by throwing the brick through the wall, if there isn't* =P) There is no window, and the wall's too solid to heave the brick through.

"Excuse me, sir, what's your name? You look rather dispirited...you might be happier if you gave up smoking...but until you have the willpower to do that, I have a light for you. Do you need any other help?" He looks sad. "It's Christmas, and I've never had a Christmas present. I also need a light - can you help me? With both of these?"

You try offering the matchbox. He refuses, saying, "Thanks, but I still don't have a present."
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 10057
Posted on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, and

4 posts remaining

Post Number: 2124
Posted on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Well, there's lots of Christmas presents down there...I'm afraid I had to use them as stairs to get up here, but they still held up pretty well, I think...maybe if you come back down with me you can unwrap them?"
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 10061
Posted on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Well, there's lots of Christmas presents down there...I'm afraid I had to use them as stairs to get up here, but they still held up pretty well, I think...maybe if you come back down with me you can unwrap them?" "No - I'm too sad. I don't want to move."

Post Number: 2126
Posted on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Well, if you don't mind moving off the trapdoor, sir, I could go back down and bring up the present on the top, if I can reach it."

If that doesn't work, wrap the brick in the wrapping paper, tape it on, and give it to him as a present. Though why he'd want a brick is beyond me...
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 10063
Posted on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Well, if you don't mind moving off the trapdoor, sir, I could go back down and bring up the present on the top, if I can reach it." The presents are probably too heavy to lift through the trapdoor.

If that doesn't work, wrap the brick in the wrapping paper, tape it on, and give it to him as a present. Though why he'd want a brick is beyond me... You try, but the brick is too large to fit in the wrapping paper.

2 posts remaining

Post Number: 2128
Posted on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wrap the matchbox and match in the paper and give it to him for a present? (That's all that's left, so I'm out of ideas if this doesn't work =( )
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 10065
Posted on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wrap the matchbox and match in the paper and give it to him for a present? (That's all that's left, so I'm out of ideas if this doesn't work =( ) You tape the paper around the matchbox and hand it to the fat man. "Here, Merry Christmas." He eagerly rips it open, and his eyes open as he lights the match and uses it to light his cigarette. "Thank you," he says, as he digs a remote control out of his pocket and pushes the button. A portion of the wall opens, and as the fat man continues to smoke, you slip out through the secret passage.

Total score: 50 points

Room 8:

You drop through the ceiling into a small room. Set in the right wall is a hole, covered with a glass pane, behind which is a heavy toolbox. On the left wall is a broken vent cover with two wooden boards nailed over it. White Christmas lights illuminate the room.

Inventory:

Brick

Post Number: 2131
Posted on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm thinking that we may have to use the brick to break the glass, retrieve a hammer from the toolbox to pry the nails off the vent cover, and remove the vent cover to get out. Am I right? If so, do that. =)
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 10068
Posted on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm thinking that we may have to use the brick to break the glass, retrieve a hammer from the toolbox to pry the nails off the vent cover, and remove the vent cover to get out. Am I right? If so, do that. =) Close - you toss the brick through the glass, grab a saw out of the otherwise-empty toolbox, and saw the boards in half. You crawl through the vent cover to freedom.

This room: 10 points
Total score: 60 points

Room 9:

You kick out the vent cover at the other end and drop down, finding yourself back in the living room (Room 6), only with the wooden ladder sticking up out of the floorboards. You also picked up a water bottle in the ventilation shaft for your troubles.

Inventory:

Saw
Water bottle

Post Number: 2135
Posted on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, so...sorry to bug you about this, but describe the room in slightly more detail? This is where the presents were, right? Are the six presents still there? Can they be taken and/or unwrapped?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 10071
Posted on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, so...sorry to bug you about this, but describe the room in slightly more detail? The fire is still burning in the fireplace, and the ladder is sticking up from the floor. And the presents are stacked - plus the vent cover is hanging from the open vent. Otherwise, everthing's the same. This is where the presents were, right? Yes. Are the six presents still there? Yes. Can they be taken and/or unwrapped? You try this, but they won't unwrap for some reason.

4 posts remaining

Post Number: 2138
Posted on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does the water bottle actually contain any water?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 10073
Posted on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does the water bottle actually contain any water? It does, and it is full.

Post Number: 2140
Posted on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would it be useful to put the fire out with the water? If it seems like a good plan, then do so.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 10075
Posted on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would it be useful to put the fire out with the water? If it seems like a good plan, then do so. Sounds good - you pour the water over the fire, which sizzles and goes out. The smoke briefly heads up the chimney before dissipating.

3 posts remaining

Post Number: 2142
Posted on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Should we be finding a way to climb up the chimney? Or are there any other doors or secret passages we could get out of from here? Would the ladder be of any use?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 10077
Posted on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Should we be finding a way to climb up the chimney? Now there's a good idea... Or are there any other doors or secret passages we could get out of from here? Would the ladder be of any use? Probably, if we could remove it from the floorboards...

Post Number: 2145
Posted on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, we have a saw, so shall we cut it loose? If that'd work, do it! Then, if we can do that, put it up inside the chimney and climb up?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 10080
Posted on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, we have a saw, so shall we cut it loose? If that'd work, do it! You carefully saw the ladder away from the floor, and it falls to the ground. Then, if we can do that, put it up inside the chimney and climb up? {You slide the ladder up the chimney and carefully climb up.

Total score: 67 points

Room 10:

You emerge from the chimney onto the snow-covered roof. There is a sleigh here, complete with mechanical reindeer. The sleigh appears to be running, but it is not moving anywhere.

Inventory:

Saw
Empty water bottle

NOTE: This room has a maximum of 7 posts.

Post Number: 2148
Posted on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Examine the sleigh, the reindeer, and the roof more closely. Describe in detail what you find.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 10084
Posted on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Examine the sleigh, the reindeer, and the roof more closely. Describe in detail what you find. Inside the sleigh is a length of duct tape. There is some steam leaking from a hole in the floor of the sleigh. You can't see under the sleigh right now.

The reindeer are clearly metal, but look real.

The roof is covered with a thick layer of snow. It is walled on all sides except one, which overlooks the back yard (which is not fenced in).

Post Number: 2150
Posted on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Eek. Steam leaking from holes doesn't seem good. Would fixing it with the duct tape work? If so, do so. Keep the tape in any case. Would cleaning off the snow be advisable? Try it, if it is.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 10086
Posted on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Eek. Steam leaking from holes doesn't seem good. Would fixing it with the duct tape work? That works. The sleigh moves forward a bit, but stops. You looks at what stopped it - the sleigh struck some wooden blocks and is held in place by them. If so, do so. Keep the tape in any case. Would cleaning off the snow be advisable? Try it, if it is. You'll need some tool to move the snow.

4 posts remaining

Post Number: 2153
Posted on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This plan may be totally insane, so don't do it if it won't work, but...

Get out of the sleigh and pull the ladder up the chimney onto the roof.
Saw the ladder into two sticks and use one to knock the snow off the roof. Use the other to push the wooden blocks away from the sleigh once you're back inside, and fly off the roof down into the yard!
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 10089
Posted on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This plan may be totally insane, so don't do it if it won't work, but...

Get out of the sleigh and pull the ladder up the chimney onto the roof.
Saw the ladder into two sticks and use one to knock the snow off the roof. Use the other to push the wooden blocks away from the sleigh once you're back inside, and fly off the roof down into the yard!

That won't work, simply because you can no longer reach the ladder.

Post Number: 2156
Posted on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

*grumbles about brilliantly insane but useless plans* Hint, please, if that's allowed?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 10090
Posted on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

*grumbles about brilliantly insane but useless plans* Hint, please, if that's allowed? HINT: The wooden blocks are stuck to the roof. So how can you disable the wooden blocks (and thus, get the sleigh to move)?

And a correction: 6 posts remaining

Post Number: 2162
Posted on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

saw the wooden blocks off the roof!
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 10099
Posted on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

saw the wooden blocks off the roof! You hack away both wooden blocks, and as the last one breaks free, the sleigh shoots forward with such force that it knocks the blocks, the saw, and the water bottle (which was in your other hand) far into the distance. The sleigh takes off and soars into the sky.

You stare in amazement at the sleigh, as it travels across the sky. When your transfixion breaks, you look down at the spot where the sleigh was - there is a large shovel.

5 posts remaining

Post Number: 2165
Posted on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

shovel the snow off the roof!
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 10102
Posted on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 11:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

shovel the snow off the roof! You shovel all the snow off the roof, tossing it all into one big pile in the backyard. Nothing else is on the roof - what to do now?

4 posts remaining

Post Number: 2167
Posted on Monday, December 27, 2010 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Er...is jumping off the roof into the snow pile a good idea by any stretch of the imagination? Is it possible to go back down the chimney? Not having grown up around large amounts of snow, I'm not all that well versed in how good it is at breaking one's fall, rather than one's neck...
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 10104
Posted on Monday, December 27, 2010 - 12:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Er...is jumping off the roof into the snow pile a good idea by any stretch of the imagination? Is it possible to go back down the chimney? Not having grown up around large amounts of snow, I'm not all that well versed in how good it is at breaking one's fall, rather than one's neck... Well, it seems like the only way, so...

GERONIMO!!!!!!

The big pile of snow cushioned your fall perfectly, and you walk out of the backyard to freedom. As you walk, you look at the night sky, and see the silhouette of a sleigh with nine reindeer crossing the starry expanse. It's Christmas Eve, and you walk home, ready for a most Merry Christmas.

**********SPOILER**********

Final score: 73 points out of a possible 100.

Nice solving, everyone, especially Kaylee who worked tirelessly on it. See you in Part III, hopefully soon!!

Post Number: 2169
Posted on Monday, December 27, 2010 - 12:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks! And thank you for bringing my Lateral Adventure back to life, Balin! Hehe...now we're about a third of the way through Gregory Coke Land, I suppose.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: