[Nimue] My Umpteenth gay puzzle Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - January 2011 » [Nimue] My Umpteenth gay puzzle « Previous Next »

Nimue (Nimue)
Username: Nimue

Post Number: 6233
Posted on Sunday, January 02, 2011 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm 100% in favor of gay marriage, but I have to admit that there is one problem, independent of bigotry or discrimination, that is bound to be much more common among gay couples than among straight couples. What is it?
Kdoc (Kdoc)
Username: Kdoc

Post Number: 1136
Posted on Sunday, January 02, 2011 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

does this puzzle worK for both male/male and female/female marriages?
are any of these relevant: in-laws? education? pets? hobbies? place of residence? names? titles? jobs? food? drink? holidays? jewelry? wedding anniversaries? children? sleeping arrangements? cooking arrangements? chores? arguments? divorce? engagement? gifts? music? the wedding ceremony? clothes? transport? family?

is this a trivial problem? something funny? something potentially damaging to the relationship?

does it relate to the way the couple interacts with each other? interact with those around? their families? does it involve possessions they have? places they go? people they meet?
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)
Username: Jenburdoo

Post Number: 4322
Posted on Sunday, January 02, 2011 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anything to do with unusual pairings or biology (for example hermaphrodites or transsexuals)?
Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 10325
Posted on Monday, January 03, 2011 - 12:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the problem related to areas where gay marriage is legal? Is illegal?
Doriana (Doriana)
Username: Doriana

Post Number: 185
Posted on Monday, January 03, 2011 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does the problem occur before they get married? Afterwards?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 6237
Posted on Monday, January 03, 2011 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kdoc (Kdoc)

Post Number: 1136

Posted on Sunday, January 02, 2011 - 11:27 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
does this puzzle worK for both male/male and female/female marriages? yes
are any of these relevant: in-laws? education? pets? hobbies? place of residence? names? titles? jobs? food? drink? holidays? jewelry? wedding anniversaries? children? sleeping arrangements? cooking arrangements? chores? arguments? divorce? engagement? gifts? music? the wedding ceremony? clothes? transport? family? just names

is this a trivial problem? yes something funny? yessomething potentially damaging to the relationship? no

does it relate to the way the couple interacts with each other? nointeract with those around? yestheir families? possiblydoes it involve possessions they have? noplaces they go? no people they meet? yes
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)
Username: Jenburdoo

Post Number: 4322

Posted on Sunday, January 02, 2011 - 11:51 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Anything to do with unusual pairings or biology (for example hermaphrodites or transsexuals)? no
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 10325

Posted on Monday, January 03, 2011 - 12:53 am: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Is the problem related to areas where gay marriage is legal? no Is illegal? no
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 185

Posted on Monday, January 03, 2011 - 11:09 am: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Does the problem occur before they get married? yes Afterwards? yes
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 190
Posted on Monday, January 03, 2011 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So... the problem is related to names? Their names? First names? Last names? Nicknames? The common married name that they use after marriage?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 6241
Posted on Tuesday, January 04, 2011 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Post Number: 190

Posted on Monday, January 03, 2011 - 11:27 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
So... the problem is related to names? yesTheir names? yesFirst names? yes Last names? noNicknames? yesThe common married name that they use after marriage? no
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 10374
Posted on Tuesday, January 04, 2011 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the problem related to the use of endearing nicknames?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 6244
Posted on Wednesday, January 05, 2011 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 10374

Posted on Tuesday, January 04, 2011 - 7:48 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Is the problem related to the use of endearing nicknames? no
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 197
Posted on Wednesday, January 05, 2011 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it related to how they introduce themselves or eachother?
Kdoc (Kdoc)

Post Number: 1138
Posted on Wednesday, January 05, 2011 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is the problem that they are more likely to have the same name than heterosexual couples? with all the confusion that brings? especially if they choose to have the same surname? so there could be two mr john smiths at the same address? or dr jane greens?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 6248
Posted on Wednesday, January 05, 2011 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 197

Posted on Wednesday, January 05, 2011 - 8:01 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Is it related to how they introduce themselves or eachother? yesish--see below
Kdoc (Kdoc)

Post Number: 1138

Posted on Wednesday, January 05, 2011 - 8:24 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
is the problem that they are more likely to have the same name than heterosexual couples? yes with all the confusion that brings? yesespecially if they choose to have the same surname? yesso there could be two mr john smiths at the same address? yes or dr jane greens? yes

********** SPOILER *********************
There's a lot of prejudice against gays in the US & hence a lot of opposition to gay marriage. Only a few states have gay marriage, not including mine, I'm afraid. People come up with all sorts of outlandish arguments against gay marriage, but, except for bigotry, the only real problem gay couples are more likely to encounter than straight ones is that they're much more likely to have the same names. That's the strongest argument I've ever heard against gay marriage, which tells you plenty about the other arguments. Please tell me plenty about my new puzzle, which is at the bottom of the page.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 10434
Posted on Wednesday, January 05, 2011 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My home state is one of the few that currently has gay marriage.

And I read a story once where a Kelly Hildebrandt married a Kelly Hildebrandt - one man, one woman. So it's not only gay marriage that could have this problem.
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 6252
Posted on Wednesday, January 05, 2011 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 10434

Posted on Wednesday, January 05, 2011 - 11:05 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
My home state is one of the few that currently has gay marriage.Which state?

And I read a story once where a Kelly Hildebrandt married a Kelly Hildebrandt - one man, one woman. So it's not only gay marriage that could have this problem I didn't say it was; just that the problem would be much more likely with gay couples.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 10452
Posted on Wednesday, January 05, 2011 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm from Connecticut, although I currently attend college in North Carolina.

And I understood what you were saying; I just thought you might find that story interesting.
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 6255
Posted on Thursday, January 06, 2011 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I did.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: