[Balin] 44-Yard Scrund Return Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - January 2011 » [Balin] 44-Yard Scrund Return « Previous Next »

Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 10729
Posted on Monday, January 10, 2011 - 4:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I know many people, myself included, who have held a common football scrund. (American football, not soccer.) The scrund was cured in me when I was about 10 or 12, but my sister held it well into her teens, and I know of at least one person who had this scrund in college.

What is the scrund?
Gregoryuconn (Gregoryuconn)
Username: Gregoryuconn

Post Number: 603
Posted on Monday, January 10, 2011 - 4:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Any of the following relevant:
Kickoff returns?
Punt returns?
Kickoffs?
Punts?
Field goals?
Relevant that a punt's distance is measured from the line of scrimmage but a field goal's is measured from the spot of the kick?
The whole coin toss thing where you actually choose to defer instead of kick relevant? Because the team that wins the toss has the option of receiving, kicking, choosing a side to defend, or deferring, and if they choose to kick, the other team would have the choice in the second half and would undoubtedly take the ball, so therefore you defer and the other team takes the ball and you get it in the second half? (For the record, this has always been the rule in college, but the NFL didn't make it this way until a couple years ago). Coin toss relevant at all? XFL coin toss (aka toss a coin and the players fight for it and whoever comes up with it wins the toss)? Or did they think the "coin toss" was like the XFL coin toss?
Would this scrund be applicable only in the NFL? Only in college? Could someone run into it in the Super Bowl? The regular NFL Season? An NCAA Bowl game? A UConn football game? A Michigan Football game at the Big House? An Elon football game? A Spackenkill High School-Sullivan West High School game on a rainy night in front of 100 people? A high school football game in Texas in front of 43,000 people? Is there any 11-on-11 football game where it would not apply? Poop Warner? Could it also apply to 8-on-8 when there aren't enough players?

Brad Pitt relevant? Am I relevant (with your puzzles, you never know)? Onsides kicks? Offsides kicks?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 10739
Posted on Monday, January 10, 2011 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Any of the following relevant:
Kickoff returns?
Punt returns?
Kickoffs?
Punts?
Field goals? Sometimes, but rarely
Relevant that a punt's distance is measured from the line of scrimmage but a field goal's is measured from the spot of the kick?
The whole coin toss thing where you actually choose to defer instead of kick relevant? Because the team that wins the toss has the option of receiving, kicking, choosing a side to defend, or deferring, and if they choose to kick, the other team would have the choice in the second half and would undoubtedly take the ball, so therefore you defer and the other team takes the ball and you get it in the second half? (For the record, this has always been the rule in college, but the NFL didn't make it this way until a couple years ago). Coin toss relevant at all? XFL coin toss (aka toss a coin and the players fight for it and whoever comes up with it wins the toss)? Or did they think the "coin toss" was like the XFL coin toss?

Would this scrund be applicable only in the NFL? It applies here... Only in college? ...but also here. Could someone run into it in the Super Bowl? Yes The regular NFL Season? Yes An NCAA Bowl game? Yes A UConn football game? Depends A Michigan Football game at the Big House? Also depends An Elon football game? Also also depends A Spackenkill High School-Sullivan West High School game on a rainy night in front of 100 people? Not very likely A high school football game in Texas in front of 43,000 people? Possibly Is there any 11-on-11 football game where it would not apply? It applies to most NFL games, some college games, and few high school games. Poop Warner? Is there an extra O there, or is it just me? And no. Could it also apply to 8-on-8 when there aren't enough players?

Brad Pitt relevant? Am I relevant (with your puzzles, you never know)? Onsides kicks? Offsides kicks?

All unanswered are No.
Peter365 (Peter365)
Username: Peter365

Post Number: 3179
Posted on Monday, January 10, 2011 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does the scrund refer to one particular rule?
Noel (Noel)
Username: Noel

Post Number: 2223
Posted on Monday, January 10, 2011 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does it have to do with extra points? safeties? tees? scoring? downs? the red zone? penalties? (a) certain position(s)? Numbers on jerseys? Being in or out of bounds? Time outs? Passing? Rushing? Faked plays? Officials? The function of the hash marks? The chains? Substitutions? Tackling? Rushing the kicker? Turnovers? icing the kicker?

Does it have to do with the offense? defense? coaching staff? fans? players on the bench? players on the field? mascots? cheerleaders? The band? (obviously I'm stretching here =) )
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 2224
Posted on Monday, January 10, 2011 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Also, is the 44-yards in the title relevant?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 3180
Posted on Monday, January 10, 2011 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ha Ha Noel, excellent LTPF list of stuff associated with American Football.
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 3181
Posted on Monday, January 10, 2011 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Fair catch relevant?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 10741
Posted on Monday, January 10, 2011 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does the scrund refer to one particular rule? Noish/Yope

Does it have to do with extra points? safeties? tees? scoring? downs? 95% of the time it's this the red zone? However it can also be involve this penalties? (a) certain position(s)? Numbers on jerseys? Being in or out of bounds? Time outs? Passing? Rushing? Faked plays? Officials? The function of the hash marks? The chains? Yope to this - No to rest Substitutions? Tackling? Rushing the kicker? Turnovers? icing the kicker?

Does it have to do with the offense? Yope defense? coaching staff? fans? players on the bench? players on the field? mascots? cheerleaders? The band? (obviously I'm stretching here =) ) None of the rest, but stretching will probably help you.

Also, is the 44-yards in the title relevant? No

Ha Ha Noel, excellent LTPF list of stuff associated with American Football. =)

Fair catch relevant? No
Gregoryuconn (Gregoryuconn)
Username: Gregoryuconn

Post Number: 604
Posted on Monday, January 10, 2011 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ooh, is stretching relevant?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 10749
Posted on Monday, January 10, 2011 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ooh, is stretching relevant? No, not in that sense (nice thought though)
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 3182
Posted on Tuesday, January 11, 2011 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it anything to do with stopping the clock to reset the chains? I think they do stop the clock in college football but not in the NFL although I'm probably wrong on this.

If all that is wrong is the game clock relevant in any way?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 10796
Posted on Tuesday, January 11, 2011 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it anything to do with stopping the clock to reset the chains? No I think they do stop the clock in college football but not in the NFL although I'm probably wrong on this. I think you're correct, but irrel to the puzzle

If all that is wrong is the game clock relevant in any way? No
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 2226
Posted on Tuesday, January 11, 2011 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So it's not quite offense...is it special teams? The field goal unit?

Is any particular down relevant? 1st down? 2nd? 3rd? 4th? Field goals are usually kicked on 4th down, but they don't have to be. Relevant? Usually, teams try to get a 1st down for 3 plays and then kick it on 4th down, but they can go for it on 4th. Relevant?

In what way are the chains at all relevant: the fact that they are 10 yards? They way they are used to measure when it's close to a first down? Moving them on a first down?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 10807
Posted on Tuesday, January 11, 2011 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So it's not quite offense...is it special teams? The field goal unit? My apologies, it is offense. See below

Is any particular down relevant? Mainly 1st down, but it works for all of them 1st down? 2nd? 3rd? 4th? Field goals are usually kicked on 4th down, but they don't have to be. Relevant? No Usually, teams try to get a 1st down for 3 plays and then kick it on 4th down, but they can go for it on 4th. Relevant? No

In what way are the chains at all relevant: the fact that they are 10 yards? Yope... They way they are used to measure when it's close to a first down? ...and Yope. Moving them on a first down? Not as relevant
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 2230
Posted on Wednesday, January 12, 2011 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does it have anything to do with where the first down is measured from (e.g. how they spot the ball? the fact that it doesn't have to be on an even yard line?)

ohhhh, wait, does it have to do with the colored line that runs across the field on the TV to show you the line of scrimmage and first down line? Did you think it was really on the field?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 10845
Posted on Wednesday, January 12, 2011 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does it have anything to do with where the first down is measured from (e.g. how they spot the ball? the fact that it doesn't have to be on an even yard line?) See below

ohhhh, wait, does it have to do with the colored line that runs across the field on the TV to show you the line of scrimmage and first down line? Did you think it was really on the field? And she takes it in for the score!

**********SPOILER**********

Until I was about 10, I thought that those colored lines were actually on the field; in reality, they are of course only visible to TV viewers. My sister held this scrund into her teens, but the best story about this scrund comes from this past Sunday. While watching the Packers-Eagles game, I heard someone say that her roommate had asked, "How do they paint and unpaint those lines so quickly?" So clearly, this scrund is still out there.

Excellent work to Peter365, Gregoryuconn, and Noel, all of who had key plays on this 17-post touchdown drive.
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 2233
Posted on Wednesday, January 12, 2011 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Those colored lines spoil us! I find it so hard to watch a live event in a stadium, now, because I constantly catch myself looking for the line, haha.

This puzzle makes me feel old. I still think of the yellow lines as a relatively new innovation. I remember when they started using them, and it was a very big deal. But Wikipedia tells me they started using them in fall of 1998. Wow, time flies. Nevertheless, I really had a lot of fun with this puzzle.
Biograd (Biograd)
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 1416
Posted on Thursday, January 13, 2011 - 12:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've always been amazed at how intelligent the software is that adds those lines.

Not only does it adjust for camera rotation to orient them correctly relative to the projection of 3D space onto the camera, which is not that difficult, it can distinguish between the field itself and the players or other objects on the field, so that it can hide the line "behind" them, as a real painted line would be.
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 3191
Posted on Thursday, January 13, 2011 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree with Noel I thought the lines only came to our screens about 4 or 5 years ago but clearly I'm wrong. It's a brilliant visual aid in any case.

Nice puzzle Balin
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 2244
Posted on Thursday, January 13, 2011 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm still pretty sure that college football didn't start using them for at least another season or two, because I remember having several, repeated conversations along the lines of "gee, wouldn't it be nice if we had some of those lines like the NFL uses now." So when Balin was 10-ish and having his scrund cured, the lines were probably still brand-spanking new for college games.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: