[peter365] Biting the hand Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - January 2011 » [peter365] Biting the hand « Previous Next »

Peter365 (Peter365)
Username: Peter365

Post Number: 3209
Posted on Tuesday, January 18, 2011 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good morning puzzlers

She found it strange that I ate the protection.

Please explain this puzzle statement
Redwine (Redwine)
Username: Redwine

Post Number: 186
Posted on Tuesday, January 18, 2011 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I= you, Peter365?
She= H? A? F? Is her profession relevant?
Is time relevant? Is location?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 3211
Posted on Tuesday, January 18, 2011 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I = you, Peter365? Yes
She= H? A? F? Human Female Child/teen Is her profession relevant? No see above
Is time relevant? No Is location? No
Eli (Eli)
Username: Eli

Post Number: 1803
Posted on Tuesday, January 18, 2011 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you actually eat something? Physically chewing with your teeth and swallowing it?

Was protection covering something edible? Was the protection itself also edible? and she just didn't know that?
Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 11078
Posted on Tuesday, January 18, 2011 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Protection" - some part of a food? A wrapper?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 3213
Posted on Tuesday, January 18, 2011 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you actually eat something? Yes Physically chewing with your teeth and swallowing it? Indeed

Was protection covering something edible? Yes Was the protection itself also edible? Yes good question and she just didn't know that? Yes this is going to go quickly

"Protection" - some part of a food? Yes A wrapper? No
Eli (Eli)
Username: Eli

Post Number: 1806
Posted on Tuesday, January 18, 2011 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were you eating a fruit? And she expected you to peel it first? If so, apple? pear? kiwi? other?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 11092
Posted on Tuesday, January 18, 2011 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Adding to the list of fruits - apple? Potato? Lime? Lemon? Orange? Grapefruit? Grape?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 3214
Posted on Tuesday, January 18, 2011 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were you eating a fruit? And she expected you to peel it first? If so, apple? pear? kiwi? other? no to all
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 3215
Posted on Tuesday, January 18, 2011 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Adding to the list of fruits - apple? Potato? Lime? Lemon? Orange? Grapefruit? Grape? Adding to list of no's I'm afraid.
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 191
Posted on Tuesday, January 18, 2011 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were you eating a vegetable? Was the protection used as something usually not edible, but in this case made from edible material (like rice paper instead of normal paper)?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 3217
Posted on Tuesday, January 18, 2011 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were you eating a vegetable? No Was the protection used as something usually not edible, but in this case made from edible material (like rice paper instead of normal paper)? no nothing like that. It was a perfectly edible item
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 11099
Posted on Tuesday, January 18, 2011 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the food item a candy? Dessert? Bread? Pasta? Dairy? Meat? Fish? *tries to remember the food groups from 2nd grade* Poultry?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 3220
Posted on Tuesday, January 18, 2011 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the food item a candy? Dessert? Bread? This Pasta? Dairy? Meat? Fish? *tries to remember the food groups from 2nd grade* Poultry?
Doriana (Doriana)
Username: Doriana

Post Number: 379
Posted on Tuesday, January 18, 2011 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did she think you had to cut off the crust first?
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 195
Posted on Tuesday, January 18, 2011 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just to clarify: bread is what the word "protection" refers to? Or bread is the edible item inside protection?
Was it the whole bread or bread as a part of the other dish? Sandwiches relevant? The fact that soup is sometimes served in the loaf of bread relevant?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 3221
Posted on Tuesday, January 18, 2011 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did she think you had to cut off the crust first? No but very much in the right ballpark

Just to clarify: bread is what the word "protection" refers to? Yes...but Or bread is the edible item inside protection? Yes it's both things which is all you really need to solve
Was it the whole bread or bread as a part of the other dish? Well I was making a sandwich but not really relevant Sandwiches relevant? See above The fact that soup is sometimes served in the loaf of bread relevant? No

Next post will spoyle I fancy
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 197
Posted on Tuesday, January 18, 2011 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the young lady have a habit of eating only the inside, soft part of bread? I know some parents prepare it like this for the children...
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 3222
Posted on Tuesday, January 18, 2011 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the young lady have a habit of eating only the inside, soft part of bread? I know some parents prepare it like this for the children...Sort of along the right lines but there's more to this than not eating the crusts
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 11101
Posted on Tuesday, January 18, 2011 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the "protection" the crust? Did she always cut the crust off bread before eating it? And dispose of the crust? Or feed it to the birds (or other animals)?
Kalira (Kalira)
Username: Kalira

Post Number: 561
Posted on Tuesday, January 18, 2011 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the heel of the loaf relevant? as it's usually used to protect the middle slices from drying out?
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)
Username: Jenburdoo

Post Number: 4500
Posted on Tuesday, January 18, 2011 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the crust burnt (perhaps it was a toasted sandwich)?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 3225
Posted on Tuesday, January 18, 2011 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the "protection" the crust? Did she always cut the crust off bread before eating it? And dispose of the crust? Or feed it to the birds (or other animals)? No to all

Is the heel of the loaf relevant? Yes as it's usually used to protect the middle slices from drying out? Yes but I had never heard this put like this before

Was the crust burnt (perhaps it was a toasted sandwich)? No

That'll do

******************SPOILER*******************

Kalira's post has basically solved and put me in a bit of a spot. My daughter's classmate was having tea in our house over the Christmas period. I love the heel of the loaf and I was making a sandwich with both heels (I'm the only person in my house that eat's them). The classmate exclaimed in a shocked voice "Why are you eating the bread protector" . This struck my family and I as hilarious as we'd never heard the heel so described.

What worries me is that Kalira has put forward the same theory that a heel is not for eating but merely to keep the slices fresh. Please tell me I haven't been eating a scrund for nigh on 40 years.

Actually my favourite brand of sliced bread have started including a bread sliced shape of card paper which is definitely intended as a "bread protector" and yet these loaves still have two heels.

All opinions on this matter of life and death topic are welcome

Cheers
Noel (Noel)
Username: Noel

Post Number: 2290
Posted on Wednesday, January 19, 2011 - 1:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I like eating the heel, too. Even if they're merely meant as bread protectors, I can't imagine there's anything wrong with eating them.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 11178
Posted on Wednesday, January 19, 2011 - 3:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I eat the heel too, but I always eat both heels together, usually as toast or a sandwich. Or a toasted sandwich. No scrund this time!
Rbruma (Rbruma)
Username: Rbruma

Post Number: 1225
Posted on Wednesday, January 19, 2011 - 5:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I also like the heels. Around here they are called what in English can be translated as "corners". There's also a rather popular saying (of unknown origin) that the people who like to eat them will get along very well with their mother-in-law. I can testify from experience that heels (aka "corners") are good and also that the saying's truthfulness is doubtful :-)

Nice puzzle, Peter.
Gregoryuconn (Gregoryuconn)
Username: Gregoryuconn

Post Number: 660
Posted on Thursday, January 20, 2011 - 3:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You mean the ends? Or is this some slang I don't know.
Biograd (Biograd)
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 1445
Posted on Thursday, January 20, 2011 - 7:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think so, Mr. Coke. I didn't know some people called them "heels" either. As a kid, I always preferred the slices in the middle, but now I don't care.
Doriana (Doriana)
Username: Doriana

Post Number: 421
Posted on Thursday, January 20, 2011 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have never heard of using the heels as "bread protectors". Amazing.

We call them "Knützchen", which is probably the most German looking word I've ever seen.
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 2773
Posted on Thursday, January 20, 2011 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's always been referred to as the "heels" or the "ends" in my house, and I've never liked them. I know they keep the bread inside from drying out a bit, but I never consciously thought of them as "bread protectors". What an amazing excuse for why I shouldn't eat them! *grin* Long live the bread protectors! Well, not live...just not get eaten :-D By me, anyway.
Kalira (Kalira)

Post Number: 570
Posted on Thursday, January 20, 2011 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Like Kaylee, I don't really think of them as "bread protectors" consciously, but in my house (and many of my friends'), you used them to keep the middle slices from drying out, then ate them as the last two slices of bread. This usually helped because when the slicer thingie cuts the bread, the heels/ends are generally not as thick as the other slices, so they weren't as "good" as the middle, breadier slices (in our childhood minds). Plus, they were already crusty, so the crust end of the heel doesn't dry out as much as a bready side of a middle slice would. So we ate them, just after the rest of the loaf.

Now what I want to know is, who are all these people who freeze their loaves of bread? What's up with that??

Post Number: 2779
Posted on Thursday, January 20, 2011 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't know what's up with it, but my mom does it, for some reason. :-( That makes me forget the bread exists. *keeps my raisin bread in the refrigerator*
Kalira (Kalira)

Post Number: 571
Posted on Thursday, January 20, 2011 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Also, re: the card paper "bread protector," I find myself reacting badly to that... while I can be pretty sure that basically nobody has touched/manhandled the bread since it was cut, I don't know where that card paper (is that like what west-of-the-ponders call cardstock? or cardboard?) has been. I think I'd be weirded out by whatever germs might be on it, while the bread loaf itself is more of a closed system, germwise. (Apparently I put way too much thought into that.)
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 11272
Posted on Thursday, January 20, 2011 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My mom freezes loaves of bread as well. I don't get it either.
Noel (Noel)
Username: Noel

Post Number: 2297
Posted on Friday, January 21, 2011 - 2:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I call them both "heels," but my sister has gotten into the strange habit of calling the first one (the one at the open end of the bag) the "heel" but the second one the "butt." I have no idea where she picked that habit up from, because I've never heard another person say it, and I think it's hilarious that she distinguishes between the two, because they're identical.

Post Number: 2825
Posted on Friday, January 21, 2011 - 2:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ask her, Noel. I'm extremely curious now. *grin*
Lynne (Lynne)
Username: Lynne

Post Number: 4908
Posted on Friday, January 21, 2011 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We called them crusts - I know that's the bit around each other slice, but it's part of the same whole surround.
I have curly hair because I ate mine.
I do keep the crust over the other slices to keep them fresher nowadays, but I also tie the bag with those clips which also helps.
If we were cutting an unsliced loaf, the end bit would actually be the biggest and then that would be lathered with butter.
Without Lipitor I would have much higher cholesterol.
I did a puzzle once about health problems in later life due to teeth marks. i.e. I always liked my butter thick enough to see teeth marks in it.
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 3229
Posted on Friday, January 21, 2011 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow this silly puzzle certainly prompted a lot of debate.

My Mother always said that eating the heel would make my hair curly and unfortunately she was right. If I let my hair grow for too long it goes horribly kinky so I have it 2 bladed every 4 weeks. It does make me look a bit like one of "America's most wanted" but preferable to curly hair in my opinion especially now that I'm going grey.

My wife is one of those people who puts loaves of bread in the freezer much to my bemusement. I simply cannot see the logic in doing this. I mean buy a fresh loaf every day I say.

With regard to teeth marks in butter , my Granny used to give us a slice of home made soda bread with about an inch thick of butter on it and then just to make it completely unhealthy dipped it in a bowl of sugar. Not good for the teeth but completely yummy.

Thanks for all your comments, they certainly gave me a chuckle.
Kaygee (Kaygee)
Username: Kaygee

Post Number: 704
Posted on Saturday, January 22, 2011 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Peter, I had to google "soda bread" - but that sounds yummy!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: