[gregoryuconn] My UConn Stupidity Ser... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - April 2011 » [gregoryuconn] My UConn Stupidity Series #3 « Previous Next »

Gregoryuconn (Gregoryuconn)
Username: Gregoryuconn

Post Number: 848
Posted on Friday, March 11, 2011 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Seems like she's in the wrong kind of court...

Note: This is a somewhat different style than the first two UCSS and is also based on a recent puzzle on the LTPF Forum by another member
Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 12474
Posted on Friday, March 11, 2011 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is this your Facebook status?

If so, I'll stay hush-hush.
Doriana (Doriana)
Username: Doriana

Post Number: 781
Posted on Friday, March 11, 2011 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

she = a student?

The court she is in: A courtyard/quadrangle? A sports court? A court of law?
The court she should be in: A courtyard/quadrangle? A sports court? A court of law?

Post Number: 849
Posted on Saturday, March 12, 2011 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is this your Facebook status?

If so, I'll stay hush-hush. Thanks, it is.

she = a student? Yesish

The court she is in: A courtyard/quadrangle? A sports court? this, no to rest A court of law?
The court she should be in: A courtyard/quadrangle? A sports court? A court of law? Thisish, no to rest, but a bit of an FA
Shez (Shez)
Username: Shez

Post Number: 256
Posted on Saturday, March 12, 2011 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is she behaving as if she were in the other kind of court?

is the sports court sport a team sport? or something played as singles/doubles?

is she a schoolgirl? a graduate?

Post Number: 855
Posted on Saturday, March 12, 2011 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is she behaving as if she were in the other kind of court? No, possible FA

is the sports court sport a team sport? This or something played as singles/doubles? No

is she a schoolgirl? a graduate? A college student. This is UConn, remember...
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 822
Posted on Saturday, March 19, 2011 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was she in the sports court as a player? a cheerleader? A spectator? Was it during a game? Is the sport basketball? Volleyball?

The host of the puzzle this one is based on - M?F?
The puzzle - is it college-related? sports-related?

Post Number: 868
Posted on Monday, March 21, 2011 - 12:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was she in the sports court as a player? this, slight FA though judging by the following questions a cheerleader? A spectator? Was it during a game? No, FA Is the sport basketball? this Volleyball?

The host of the puzzle this one is based on - M?F? Male
The puzzle - is it college-related? no sports-related? Somewhat, but that is not the relevant part
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 847
Posted on Friday, March 25, 2011 - 12:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was this during practice? Was she playing for fun? Was there anyone else present? Were you present?
Did she say something relevant? Do something relevant?
Did this happen once? Several times?

The host of the other puzzle - Balin? Rbruma? Peter365?

Post Number: 894
Posted on Friday, March 25, 2011 - 12:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was this during practice? No Was she playing for fun? No, FA Was there anyone else present? Assume yes Were you present? No
Did she say something relevant? Yes! Do something relevant? No, this was the FA
Did this happen once? She made the comment once, but there's something else relevant which you haven't accomplished yet Several times?

The host of the other puzzle - Balin? Rbruma? Peter365? None of these
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 353
Posted on Friday, March 25, 2011 - 8:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

was she not playing at all? was anyone else? I mean, was she the only one not playing?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 848
Posted on Friday, March 25, 2011 - 8:38 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is any of the following relevant: Her physical appearance? Her religious background? Her ethnic background? Her major? Habits? Character traits? Skills?

Was she saying it in a "normal" voice? Or shouting?

Post Number: 906
Posted on Friday, March 25, 2011 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

was she not playing at all? She wasn't playing, but still FA was anyone else? I mean, was she the only one not playing? nobody was playing, but you're making an FA

Is any of the following relevant: Her physical appearance? Her religious background? Her ethnic background? Her major? Habits? Character traits? Skills? No to all, but another very basic detail is

Was she saying it in a "normal" voice? Or shouting? irrelevant, assume normal voice.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 12690
Posted on Friday, March 25, 2011 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This has nothing to do with the puzzle - just wanted to say congrats on your First Ink!

Post Number: 907
Posted on Friday, March 25, 2011 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This has nothing to do with the puzzle - just wanted to say congrats on your First Ink! Thanks! And congrats on your second, which I just noticed even though it was published almost a week ago. And last night when Pat Meyers facebook friended me I figured I'd gotten in, but I didn't think it would be with that one
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 12693
Posted on Friday, March 25, 2011 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

...and check out this week's Conversational. Which I just noticed now. Would say more, but off to see a play.
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 850
Posted on Friday, March 25, 2011 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is her name relevant? Her age?

Time of day relevant? Time of year?

Post Number: 911
Posted on Saturday, March 26, 2011 - 2:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

...and check out this week's Conversational. Which I just noticed now. Would say more, but off to see a play. What am I looking at? Are you referring to the post there that I made? or is there something else I should look at?

Is her name relevant? <b> Yes </b. Her age?

Time of day relevant? Time of year? Yesish, no to rest
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 12694
Posted on Saturday, March 26, 2011 - 3:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I meant the long paragraph towards the bottom. That paragraph.
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 854
Posted on Saturday, March 26, 2011 - 8:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Her first name? middle name? last name? nickname? Is the sound of it relevant? The spelling? Or the meaning?

Time of year - spring? summer? autumn? winter? A special holiday?

Post Number: 912
Posted on Saturday, March 26, 2011 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I meant the long paragraph towards the bottom. That paragraph. Oh. hahaha

Her first name? middle name? last name? This nickname? Is the sound of it relevant? The spelling? <b> This M/b> Or the meaning?

Time of year - spring? This, I guess, but not specific enough summer? autumn? winter? A special holiday? No, but OTRT
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 364
Posted on Saturday, March 26, 2011 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Easter? spring break? May?

Post Number: 916
Posted on Saturday, March 26, 2011 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Easter? spring break? May? none of the above.
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 3359
Posted on Saturday, March 26, 2011 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the other LTPF member H/A/M? H/A/F? If the latter, me? doriana kitteh? my tortiesibling?

Post Number: 917
Posted on Saturday, March 26, 2011 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the other LTPF member H/A/M? H/A/F? If the latter, me? doriana kitteh? my tortiesibling? We have accomplished that he is male, but not Rbruma, Balin, or peter365.
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 860
Posted on Saturday, March 26, 2011 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is a special day relevant? A school-related day (e.g. the beginning/end of a term?)?

Is her name spelled in an unusual way? Is a certain letter in her name relevant? Does she share the name with someone relevant?

Does the comment she makes involve her name?

Post Number: 919
Posted on Sunday, March 27, 2011 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is a special day relevant? A school-related day (e.g. the beginning/end of a term?)? No to all

Is her name spelled in an unusual way? Is a certain letter in her name relevant? Does she share the name with someone relevant? This, no to rest

Does the comment she makes involve her name? No
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 861
Posted on Sunday, March 27, 2011 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does she share her name with a famous person? An actor? Musician? Writer? Athlete? Politician?
Or does she share it with some other person? Another student?

Post Number: 920
Posted on Sunday, March 27, 2011 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does she share her name with a famous person? This is closest An actor? Musician? Writer? Athlete? Politician?
Or does she share it with some other person? So this(ish) Another student? No to rest
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 379
Posted on Monday, March 28, 2011 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

does she share it with a famous fictional character? book? film? play?

Post Number: 921
Posted on Monday, March 28, 2011 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

does she share it with a famous fictional character? book? film? play? No, on the wrong track. The "ish" was because it was last name only, and seeing as you've already accomplished that, I figured it would be obvious.
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 893
Posted on Monday, March 28, 2011 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does she share her name with a person that has something to do with a court of law?

Post Number: 922
Posted on Tuesday, March 29, 2011 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does she share her name with a person that has something to do with a court of law? Yes, although this is an awkward way of describing the other person
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 907
Posted on Tuesday, March 29, 2011 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the other person a criminal? A well-known one? A serial killer?

Post Number: 924
Posted on Tuesday, March 29, 2011 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the other person a criminal? YES! A well-known one? DOYD of "well-known" A serial killer? No, but very much OTRT.

Post Number: 3366
Posted on Tuesday, March 29, 2011 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

a murderer? a serial rapist? LTPF list of crimes, if not those?

Post Number: 926
Posted on Wednesday, March 30, 2011 - 3:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

a murderer? this a serial rapist? No LTPF list of crimes, if not those? And burglary, arson, and possibly sexual assault, I don't remember

Post Number: 927
Posted on Wednesday, March 30, 2011 - 3:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hint: If you can figure out what the other puzzle was, you'll basically have this one nailed

Post Number: 3370
Posted on Wednesday, March 30, 2011 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is she a Koch?

Post Number: 934
Posted on Wednesday, March 30, 2011 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is she a Koch? No!!!!! Are there any UConn Women's basketball players named Koch????? Or any murderer arsonist burglar and possible rapists named Koch?????? By the way, the roster is at http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/w-baskbl/mtt/conn-w-baskbl-mtt.html I won't accept the [LTPF list] but if you have someone specific in mind, go ahead.

Post Number: 3372
Posted on Thursday, March 31, 2011 - 2:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

lol...I have no idea, but we get so many Koch puzzles around here, you know...no offense intended, mr. coke, you know we love you here *hugs*...

Is the player a center? forward? guard? it isn't one of the coaches, right?

Post Number: 946
Posted on Thursday, March 31, 2011 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the player a center? forward? guard? This, no to rest it isn't one of the coaches, right?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 946
Posted on Thursday, March 31, 2011 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is she Tiffany Hayes? And the criminal is Michael Hayes?

Post Number: 947
Posted on Thursday, March 31, 2011 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is she Tiffany Hayes? Yes! And the criminal is Michael Hayes? No, but very OTRT. And you still have to figure out why Tiffany seemed like she was "in the wrong court" which should at this point be easy once you determine the other puzzle, which you still haven't.

Post Number: 3376
Posted on Thursday, March 31, 2011 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

*gives mr. coke a can of Coke, a slice of Coke cake, and a penguin t-shirt in apology for the mess-up earlier* May we please have a recap and/or hint as to the other puzzle/puzzle setter?

Post Number: 950
Posted on Thursday, March 31, 2011 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

May we please have a recap and/or hint as to the other puzzle/puzzle setter? He's a male LTPF Member who is not me, Balin, Peter365 or Rbruma. And he made this puzzle within the last few weeks. But he didn't just join within the past few weeks. So I'm really not sure what other hints to give you because I can only think of two LTPF members who meet all those requirements. And he's one of them.

But here's your recap

******RECAP******
Tiffany Hayes made some relevant statement regarding the UConn Women's Basketball team. And something relevant happened concerning a criminal named Hayes who was not Michael Hayes. This criminal murdered, burglarized, arsonized, and may have raped (I'm not sure). There is some reason that would cause me to think Tiffany Hayes belonged in the criminal court of law instead of on the basketball court. This puzzle is similar to a recent one by another male LTPF member who is not Me, Balin, Peter365, or Rbruma. And the said LTPF Member did not just join within the last few weeks. Once you determine the other puzzle, you should EASILY be able to solve this one. So that's basically all you have left to do. Figuring out the other Hayes might be nice (and perhaps make it slightly easier to make a connection with the other puzzle) but is not necessary. You have figured out his name is Hayes. You could whittle away at this the long way (essentially solving this in the exact same manner you solved the other puzzle), or you could just find the other puzzle. It's up to you. What will you shoose?

Post Number: 974
Posted on Monday, April 04, 2011 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hint: Once you determine the other relevant puzzle, you will basically have this solved.
Hint #2: Balin has pointed out to me that a puzzle he created a while back is laterally relevant. However, the other puzzle is far more relevant and is in fact what I based this on.

Post Number: 1028
Posted on Saturday, April 09, 2011 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

massive hint since it's been 10 days since a question was asked: Biograd is the relevant puzzle maker. That should help you. Now figure out his puzzle and it will be completely obvious.

Post Number: 1038
Posted on Sunday, April 10, 2011 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Last chance to ask: I have delegated Balin to $[ppoil this one at 6:14 PM EDT or when he gets back from his UN Simulation Crisis, whichever is later. That is, unless someone wishes to ask a question first.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 13015
Posted on Monday, April 11, 2011 - 4:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm back, so

**********SPOILER**********

Gregory posted the following as his Facebook status on March 11:

Just saw the following two headlines on the Hartford Courant's website, one on top of the other: "Tiffany Hayes Looks to Lead Huskies in NCAA Tournament". and right below that "Komisarjevsky Told Police Hayes Set Home Aflame" (referring to Steven Hayes in the Cheshire Home Invasion Case but it took me a few seconds to realize that)

So the relevant puzzle is Biograd's "He got off easy" which dealt with a similar headline mishap. The other not-as-relevant puzzle is my "Outside of space and time" dealing with the Cheshire home invasion case.

Post Number: 1043
Posted on Monday, April 11, 2011 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Balin. Why the blue? And of course, Tiffany Hayes and the Huskies shockingly lost in the Final Four. But the preseason predictions were right - UConn did win the national championship. Unfortunately, they got the sex wrong.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 13027
Posted on Monday, April 11, 2011 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To set your bold text apart from mine.

Did you fill out a women's bracket?

Post Number: 1076
Posted on Wednesday, April 13, 2011 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes. And I had UConn over Baylor in the Title Game. Which didn't exactly work out.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 13079
Posted on Wednesday, April 13, 2011 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had UConn over Stanford. I also had all the 1 seeds in the Final Four (which I never do). Didn't do so well.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: