[Nimue] Getting away with murder?? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - April 2011 » [Nimue] Getting away with murder?? « Previous Next »

Nimue (Nimue)
Username: Nimue

Post Number: 6534
Posted on Wednesday, April 06, 2011 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nilsa admitted to the police that she had murdered her husband, but she expected to go free, even though she did not claim self-defense or diminished responsibility and she was expecting her case to be handled fairly. How come?
Doriana (Doriana)
Username: Doriana

Post Number: 1052
Posted on Wednesday, April 06, 2011 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is Nilsa H? A? F?
Had she actually murdered her husband? If so, is it relevant how?
Is any of the following relevant: Nilsa's age? religious background? ethnic background? education? physical appearance? character traits? profession?
her husband's age? religious background? ethnic background? education? physical appearance? character traits? profession?
Time/location relevant?
Is the time span between her killing him and her admitting it relevant?
Had she committed other crimes? Had her husband?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 6536
Posted on Wednesday, April 06, 2011 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 1052

Posted on Wednesday, April 06, 2011 - 11:40 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Is Nilsa H? A? F?
Had she actually murdered her husband? yes If so, is it relevant how? no
Is any of the following relevant: Nilsa's age? religious background? ethnic background? education? physical appearance? character traits? profession? all irrel
her husband's age? religious background? ethnic background? education? physical appearance? character traits? profession? all irrel
Time/location relevant?yesish
Is the time span between her killing him and her admitting it relevant? no
Had she committed other crimes? no Had her husband? no
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 1054
Posted on Wednesday, April 06, 2011 - 11:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the country relevant? If yes, [LTPF list of continents & countries], please.
Is it relevant where they were when she murdered him? Indoors? Outdoors? In a vehicle? At home?
Is it relevant at what time of day the murder happened? What time of year? Same questions for her admitting it.

Is it relevant how Nilsa admitted it? Did she go to a police station? Did she call a police station? Did she know any of the policemen/officers? Is anything else about the police relevant? Is the wording of what she said relevant?

Would the puzzle work if she had murdered her child? robbed a bank?

Are there any witnesses?
Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 12913
Posted on Thursday, April 07, 2011 - 1:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Double jeopardy relevant?
Vesica (Vesica)
Username: Vesica

Post Number: 535
Posted on Thursday, April 07, 2011 - 6:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is her profession relevant?
Was it during a war/revolution/civil unrest?
Was it illegal for her to kill her husband?

You missed this Q of Doriana's:
Is Nilsa H? A? F?

Is her husband H? A? M?

Based on a true story?
From your imagination?
Fictional source?

Time period - Now-ish?
20th century?
19th?
(insert more centuries here)
Ancient History?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 6540
Posted on Friday, April 08, 2011 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 1054

Posted on Wednesday, April 06, 2011 - 11:50 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Is the country relevant? If yes, [LTPF list of continents & countries], please. I know it could happen in the US, I';m not sure about elsewhere
Is it relevant where they were when she murdered him? Indoors? Outdoors? In a vehicle? At home?
Is it relevant at what time of day the murder happened? What time of year? Same questions for her admitting it. All are irrel

Is it relevant how Nilsa admitted it? Did she go to a police station? Did she call a police station? Did she know any of the policemen/officers? Is anything else about the police relevant? Is the wording of what she said relevant? All are irrel

Would the puzzle work if she had murdered her child? robbed a bank? yes to both

Are there any witnesses?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 12913

Posted on Thursday, April 07, 2011 - 1:07 am: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Double jeopardy relevant? yesish
Vesica (Vesica)
Username: Vesica

Post Number: 535

Posted on Thursday, April 07, 2011 - 6:15 am: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Is her profession relevant? no
Was it during a war/revolution/civil unrest? no
Was it illegal for her to kill her husband? yes

You missed this Q of Doriana's:
Is Nilsa H? A? F? yes to all

Is her husband H? A? M? yes yo all

Based on a true story? no
From your imagination? no
Fictional source? yes

Time period - Now-ish?
20th century?
19th?
(insert more centuries here)
Ancient History? could be any time in US; I don't know about elsewhere
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 1078
Posted on Friday, April 08, 2011 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is something about the US criminal justice system relevant?

Had she been accused of murder before? And was found not guilty?
Gregoryuconn (Gregoryuconn)
Username: Gregoryuconn

Post Number: 1014
Posted on Friday, April 08, 2011 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

About to email you a pssible $poilr

Post Number: 1015
Posted on Friday, April 08, 2011 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

From the email I sent to Nimue, who has asked me to spoil this:

On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 5:13 PM, Gregory Koch <gregory.koch@uconn.edu> wrote:

Would the solution by any chance be based on the "Double Jeopardy" rule that no person can be tried twice for the same crime? If so, I've heard it before but assuming it's the variant I've heard where she's convicted but he's not dead and then she kills him when she gets out of jail, then that clause would not apply, although I've heard it said (falsely) that it does. It only applies when it's the same crime. Otherwise, if I was sent to prison for robbing a bank, and then I robbed said bank again, I couldn't go to jail again for it. But many people swear such an occurrence is possible. By the way, I think that appeared in one of Paul Sloane's books, but I don't know which one.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 12981
Posted on Friday, April 08, 2011 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was thinking the same thing; that's why I asked about double jeopardy.
Kaygee (Kaygee)
Username: Kaygee

Post Number: 784
Posted on Saturday, April 09, 2011 - 4:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think that was part of an Ashley Judd/Tommy Lee Jones movie several years ago, huh?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 6548
Posted on Sunday, April 10, 2011 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 1078

Posted on Friday, April 08, 2011 - 9:31 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Is something about the US criminal justice system relevant? yes

Had she been accused of murder before? yes And was found not guilty? no

Post Number: 1014

Posted on Friday, April 08, 2011 - 10:10 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
About to email you a pssible $poilr you got it! See below

Post Number: 1015

Posted on Friday, April 08, 2011 - 10:37 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
From the email I sent to Nimue, who has asked me to spoil this:

On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 5:13 PM, Gregory Koch <gregory.koch@uconn.edu> wrote:

Would the solution by any chance be based on the "Double Jeopardy" rule that no person can be tried twice for the same crime? If so, I've heard it before but assuming it's the variant I've heard where she's convicted but he's not dead and then she kills him when she gets out of jail, then that clause would not apply, although I've heard it said (falsely) that it does. It only applies when it's the same crime. Otherwise, if I was sent to prison for robbing a bank, and then I robbed said bank again, I couldn't go to jail again for it. But many people swear such an occurrence is possible. By the way, I think that appeared in one of Paul Sloane's books, but I don't know which one. That's basically it.See below
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 12981

Posted on Friday, April 08, 2011 - 10:40 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
I was thinking the same thing; that's why I asked about double jeopardy.
Kaygee (Kaygee)
Username: Kaygee

Post Number: 784

Posted on Saturday, April 09, 2011 - 4:56 am: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
I think that was part of an Ashley Judd/Tommy Lee Jones movie several years ago, huh? I don't know; I got it from "Law & Order."

*** SPOILER ***************

10 years ago, Nilsa's husband disappeared under suspicious circumstances. Nilsa was convicted of murdering him, although his body was never found. A few years later, it became evident why his body was never found: He was not dead. So Nilsa was released. Then she murdered him & claimed she could not be punished, because she already had been punished. By the way, although the "Law & Order" episode I got this from used double jeopardy, I think that a more interesting defense would be "The time I served for an offense I didn't commit should count toward the time I serve for an offense I did commit." This principle would apply even if the wrongful conviction had been for a completely different sort of crime, but it would would have the undesirable result of letting the wrongly convicted commit later crimes with impunity.By the way, I had no idea that this puzzle was in one of Paul's books. As I said, I got ion from "Law & Order." Please see my new puzzle you know where.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: