[gregoryuconn] A Computer Problem Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - May 2011 » [gregoryuconn] A Computer Problem « Previous Next »

Gregoryuconn (Gregoryuconn)
Username: Gregoryuconn

Post Number: 1230
Posted on Sunday, April 24, 2011 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A couple weeks ago, I was unable to use my computer for about an hour due to liquid nitrogen.

How did this happen?
Sapir (Sapir)
Username: Sapir

Post Number: 30
Posted on Sunday, April 24, 2011 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You got a bubble like a vapor lock?

Post Number: 1231
Posted on Sunday, April 24, 2011 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You got a bubble like a vapor lock? Don't know what this means, but no. At least if it's something remotely close to what I think it might mean.
Doriana (Doriana)
Username: Doriana

Post Number: 1210
Posted on Sunday, April 24, 2011 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it a laptop? Desktop? Relevant?

Did the liquid nitrogen get in contact with your computer?

Were you unable to use your computer because it didn't work? Because you couldn't reach it? Could you have used a different computer during that time?
Sapir (Sapir)
Username: Sapir

Post Number: 34
Posted on Sunday, April 24, 2011 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry.

More clearly: the LN was supposed to be liquid state but part of it was gaseous state, causing the cooling mechanism for your computer to function improperly such as with loss of LN circulation so that thermal shutdown was initiated or prevented POST (Power On Self Test) from initiating bootstrap?

You had to wait?

I am assuming you cool your computer with LN? If not, I guess my questions make no sense.
Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 13339
Posted on Monday, April 25, 2011 - 2:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Making ice cream with liquid nitrogen relevant?
Docd (Docd)
Username: Docd

Post Number: 141
Posted on Monday, April 25, 2011 - 5:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You had cryotherapy to a wart on your computer mouse finger :-) ?

Post Number: 1234
Posted on Monday, April 25, 2011 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it a laptop? This desktop? Relevant? Yes ish

Did the liquid nitrogen get in contact with your computer? No

Were you unable to use your computer because it didn't work? No Because you couldn't reach it? No Could you have used a different computer during that time? No, but not due to the liquid nitrogen

Sorry.

More clearly: the LN was supposed to be liquid state but part of it was gaseous state, causing the cooling mechanism for your computer to function improperly such as with loss of LN circulation so that thermal shutdown was initiated or prevented POST (Power On Self Test) from initiating bootstrap?

You had to wait?

I am assuming you cool your computer with LN? If not, I guess my questions make no sense. I have no idea. Is that how it normally works? Anyway, no.

Making ice cream with liquid nitrogen relevant? No, but you're vaguely OTRT

You had cryotherapy to a wart on your computer mouse finger :-) ? Nol
Vesica (Vesica)
Username: Vesica

Post Number: 753
Posted on Monday, April 25, 2011 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the liquid nitrogen effect your computer?
Your person?
The environment your computer was in?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 13343
Posted on Monday, April 25, 2011 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are the vapors from the LN relevant?
Shez (Shez)
Username: Shez

Post Number: 594
Posted on Monday, April 25, 2011 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

were you making something else with LN? or doing omething else?

Post Number: 1236
Posted on Monday, April 25, 2011 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the liquid nitrogen effect your computer? No
Your person? No
The environment your computer was in? Yes for svv of "environment", but probably not

Are the vapors from the LN relevant? No

were you making something else with LN? or doing omething else? No to both, but ...
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 13365
Posted on Monday, April 25, 2011 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was someone else using LN? Was there actual LN in the vicinity at all?
Vesica (Vesica)
Username: Vesica

Post Number: 769
Posted on Monday, April 25, 2011 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the LN affect power to your building?
The server your internet access goes through?

Did it result in an evacuation of the building?
In some other way take you away from your computer?

Post Number: 1237
Posted on Tuesday, April 26, 2011 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was someone else using LN? Yes Was there actual LN in the vicinity at all? Yes

Did the LN affect power to your building?
The server your internet access goes through?

Did it result in an evacuation of the building?
In some other way take you away from your computer? Yope, no to rest
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 13402
Posted on Tuesday, April 26, 2011 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the LN result in danger?

Post Number: 1238
Posted on Wednesday, April 27, 2011 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the LN result in danger? No
Galfisk (Galfisk)
Username: Galfisk

Post Number: 3911
Posted on Wednesday, April 27, 2011 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Relevant what the LN was used for? Did something unintended happen? Did it spill? Did it cause any relevant frost? Or mist? Or oxygen deprivation? Could you have gotten to the computer, had you really wanted to? Would it be dangerous? Or was it physically impossible? Could the same thing have happened, had they used: dry ice? Water? Liquid helium?

Post Number: 1240
Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2011 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Relevant what the LN was used for? Noish/yopeish Did something unintended happen? Did it spill? Did it cause any relevant frost? Or mist? Or oxygen deprivation? no to all Could you have gotten to the computer, had you really wanted to? Yes Would it be dangerous? No Or was it physically impossible? No, it was possible Could the same thing have happened, had they used: dry ice? Water? Liquid helium? Yes to all of these, good question! Although maybe not liquid helium because that can't exist unless the environment around it is VERY cold. But if not for that, it would work too.
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 622
Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2011 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

did you leave your computer out of curiosity? or to try to help someone?

Post Number: 1242
Posted on Friday, April 29, 2011 - 1:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

did you leave your computer out of curiosity? or to try to help someone? No to all, possible FA
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 3930
Posted on Wednesday, May 04, 2011 - 7:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the problem in: getting to the computer? Actually using the computer? Would doing it be: unpleasant? Impractical? Difficult? Stressful? Pointless? Risky? Other people directly involved?

Post Number: 1260
Posted on Wednesday, May 04, 2011 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the problem in: getting to the computer? Actually using the computer? Yes, see below Would doing it be: unpleasant? Impractical? Yes Difficult? Only as it was impractical Stressful? Pointless? Risky? No to all others above Other people directly involved? Yes, I suppose. DOWYM by directly (DOWYM = "Depends on what you mean". Yay, I made a new phrase)
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 3950
Posted on Thursday, May 05, 2011 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was your computer turned on? Was it in use? Was it connected to something relevant? Were you doing anything with the LN yourself? Were you wearing anything relevant? such as protective equipment?
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 680
Posted on Thursday, May 05, 2011 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

did you have to keep your gloves on so it made it impossible to type?

Post Number: 1261
Posted on Thursday, May 05, 2011 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was your computer turned on? Was it in use? No to both Was it connected to something relevant? Noish - explore Were you doing anything with the LN yourself? Were you wearing anything relevant? such as protective equipment? No to rest, which renders Shez's question irrelevant
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 3952
Posted on Thursday, May 05, 2011 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the computer disconnected from something relevant? Was it sitting somewhere relevant? Any IT equipment besides the computer itself relevant? such as a network connection? Wireless router? Relevant what you wanted to do on the computer?

Post Number: 1266
Posted on Thursday, May 05, 2011 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the computer disconnected from something relevant? No Was it sitting somewhere relevant? No, but... Any IT equipment besides the computer itself relevant? such as a network connection? Wireless router? Relevant what you wanted to do on the computer? No to the rest of these.
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 3956
Posted on Thursday, May 05, 2011 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it: inside something relevant? Behind something? Under something? Near something? Did you place it there? Relevant? Was it in a room? Outside? In some other structure?

Post Number: 1270
Posted on Friday, May 06, 2011 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it: inside something relevant? Yopeish Behind something? Under something? Near something? Did you place it there? No to all of the rest, but ... Relevant? Was it in a room? Outside? No to these two In some other structure? Yes for svv of "structure
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 3969
Posted on Friday, May 06, 2011 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it in a box? In a liquid? In a device? In something intangible? In a laptop bag? In a vehicle? Was it near the LN? Was there any problem seeing the screen? Using the keyboard? Or other buttons? Was it in an awkward position?
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 730
Posted on Friday, May 06, 2011 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

was it closed?

Post Number: 1274
Posted on Friday, May 06, 2011 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it in a box? In a liquid? In a device? In something intangible? In a laptop bag? it was in a backpack, but close enough. In a vehicle? Was it near the LN? Yes, could mislead Was there any problem seeing the screen? Using the keyboard? Or other buttons? Was it in an awkward position? No to all of these, FA
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 3970
Posted on Friday, May 06, 2011 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you were going to use it: would you have to use it inside the backpack? Or could you have taken it out? Were you wearing the backpack? Or was it sitting somewhere relevant? Or hanging? Was the backpack affected by the LN? Was it protecting the computer in any relevant way at the time?
When you were able to use your computer again, was it because: the activity with the LN was finished? All the LN had evaporated? Whatever was cooled by the LN had become warm again?
Did you know beforehand that it would be impractical to use your computer? Was it intentional on your part?

Post Number: 1276
Posted on Sunday, May 08, 2011 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you were going to use it: would you have to use it inside the backpack? Not necessarily Or could you have taken it out? Yes, but ... Were you wearing the backpack? I think so, irr though Or was it sitting somewhere relevant? Or hanging? Was the backpack affected by the LN? No Was it protecting the computer in any relevant way at the time? No
When you were able to use your computer again, was it because: the activity with the LN was finished? All the LN had evaporated? Whatever was cooled by the LN had become warm again? All of these are incorrect, and probably an FA
Did you know beforehand that it would be impractical to use your computer? No Was it intentional on your part? No
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 13713
Posted on Sunday, May 08, 2011 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the laptop a Mac? PC? Relevant?

Did the LN touch anything relevant?

Post Number: 1279
Posted on Monday, May 09, 2011 - 2:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the laptop a Mac? PC? Relevant? irr

Did the LN touch anything relevant? Yope/Noishish
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 3972
Posted on Monday, May 09, 2011 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Relevant where you are? Could you have gone somewhere else and used the laptop? Would it be impractical because you had nowhere to place the laptop? Or nowhere to sit?
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 3974
Posted on Tuesday, May 10, 2011 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Why does it say you made the last post in this thread, when I did? Let's see if the problem is solved when I post this.

Post Number: 1283
Posted on Tuesday, May 10, 2011 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Relevant where you are? Yes Could you have gone somewhere else and used the laptop? Theoretically yes, practically no. See below Would it be impractical because you had nowhere to place the laptop? Exactly. This is close enough for a

*****SPOILER****
On Mondays and Wednesdays from 9-9:50, I have class in the Engineering II Building, which is right next to the Physics Building, where I have class from 11-11:50. So, normally, I will sit at a table in the hallway of the Physics Building which is by an outlet and plug my laptop in and use it. However, on this particular day a liquid nitrogen demonstration was being done on that table, so I could not put my laptop on it. I also could not use it elsewhere because there was no other outlet in the hall that I could find and if I used it unplugged, I would not have enough battery for class, and I know for a fact that because of the layout of the lecture hall, there is no outlet in there I can reach. So, I could not use my laptop plugged in (as the table by the outlet was in use) and I could not use it on battery (because if I did, it would run out of power before the end of class) so I could not use it. Good job everyone, especially Galfisk for the final push. Check out my new puzzle in a minute.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 13733
Posted on Tuesday, May 10, 2011 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

At least your laptop has a better battery than mine =P

Clever puzzle!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: