[Balin] His final act of terror Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - May 2011 » [Balin] His final act of terror « Previous Next »

Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 13575
Posted on Monday, May 02, 2011 - 6:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The death of Osama bin Laden resulted in me staying up later than anticipated tonight, but not for an obvious reason. Why?
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 3752
Posted on Monday, May 02, 2011 - 6:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

He's really dead? O.o They found him? I swear, he's the product of Waldo and Carmen Sandiego, they never seemed to find him. He's found, seriously? or is this just for purposes of the puzzle??
Doriana (Doriana)
Username: Doriana

Post Number: 1285
Posted on Monday, May 02, 2011 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is your facebook status relevant? If so, my lips are sealed.
Noel (Noel)
Username: Noel

Post Number: 2615
Posted on Monday, May 02, 2011 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the announcement disrupt something you were doing? Did it displace a TV show you were watching?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 13582
Posted on Monday, May 02, 2011 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

He's really dead? O.o They found him? I swear, he's the product of Waldo and Carmen Sandiego, they never seemed to find him. He's found, seriously? or is this just for purposes of the puzzle?? He's really dead. It's been all over the news, Facebook, et cetera...

Is your facebook status relevant? If so, my lips are sealed. The one about the riots? No, but good thought, and OTRT.

Did the announcement disrupt something you were doing? No Did it displace a TV show you were watching? No
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 13583
Posted on Monday, May 02, 2011 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Actually, the riot/celebration in the quad is relevant, but is not the reason I was up late. Feel free to stay in this one, Doriana.
Shez (Shez)
Username: Shez

Post Number: 656
Posted on Monday, May 02, 2011 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

did you stay up late because you had to post a puzzle about it? because you had to write an article about it?

because you had to amend something you had already written to reflect the changed circumstances?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 13584
Posted on Monday, May 02, 2011 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

did you stay up late because you had to post a puzzle about it? No because you had to write an article about it? I did write a blog post about it for one of my classes, but that's irrelevant.

because you had to amend something you had already written to reflect the changed circumstances? No
Gregoryuconn (Gregoryuconn)
Username: Gregoryuconn

Post Number: 1247
Posted on Monday, May 02, 2011 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ha. One of the possible essays for my history Final on Wednesday involves referring to, among other things, an article on why America needs to kill bin Laden. Of course, the fact that he's now dead won't effect me essay any more than the fact that the Soviet Union fell 20 years ago will effect my writing about Cold War articles saying we need to end Communism. But it will still be awkward. Now for questions

Could anyone else's death have had the same effect? Saddam Hussein? Barack Obama (if he were to die)? A relative of yours who isn't noteworthy in any other respect? Your cousin the US Senator (if you had one)? Some random US Senator?

Are you at school right now? Studying for exams? Relevant? Wait... are you taking an exam today and part of it has to do with bin Laden and now you need to restudy? (See my story above)
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 13586
Posted on Monday, May 02, 2011 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ha. One of the possible essays for my history Final on Wednesday involves referring to, among other things, an article on why America needs to kill bin Laden. Ha! Of course, the fact that he's now dead won't effect me essay any more than the fact that the Soviet Union fell 20 years ago will effect my writing about Cold War articles saying we need to end Communism. But it will still be awkward. Now for questions

Could anyone else's death have had the same effect? Not likely, but possibly Saddam Hussein? He could have, but it's not as likely Barack Obama (if he were to die)? Definitely not A relative of yours who isn't noteworthy in any other respect? No Your cousin the US Senator (if you had one)? No Some random US Senator? No

Are you at school right now? Yes Studying for exams? No Relevant? School yes, exams No (my last day of classes is the 10th, by the way. I have only one exam, on the 12th) Wait... are you taking an exam today and part of it has to do with bin Laden and now you need to restudy? No (See my story above)
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 1291
Posted on Monday, May 02, 2011 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

School is relevant...
Are any classes relevant? homework? teachers? fellow students? buildings? living in a dorm?

Post Number: 1252
Posted on Monday, May 02, 2011 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were people celebrating his death? And making a lot of noise? Which kept you awake? Were they doing something else relevant that made a lot of noise and had the same effect? Could this have happened to me at UConn given that I am currently studying for exams like everyone else on campus? If this wasn't exam week? What about UNC? Holy Cross? Notre Dame? Kentucky Bible College? New York Islam Academy (ok, I just made that one up, but suppose it existed)? University of London (England)? Islamabad University?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 13590
Posted on Monday, May 02, 2011 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

School is relevant...
Are any classes relevant? homework? teachers? No to these
fellow students? buildings? living in a dorm? Yes to these

Were people celebrating his death? Yes And making a lot of noise? Yes Which kept you awake? No Were they doing something else relevant that made a lot of noise and had the same effect? No Could this have happened to me at UConn given that I am currently studying for exams like everyone else on campus? Yes If this wasn't exam week? Yes What about UNC? Holy Cross? Notre Dame? Kentucky Bible College? Could have happened at any of these New York Islam Academy (ok, I just made that one up, but suppose it existed)? Would be less likely but possible University of London (England)? More likely than the previous Islamabad University? Not likely...

HOWEVER, all of the not likelys/more likelys/etc. are due to the reason of the celebration (bin Laden's death). If a rowdy celebration had occurred at any of these universities (real or fictional), then Yes, it could have happened.

When does your school year end, by the way?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 1292
Posted on Monday, May 02, 2011 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, mine ends in mid-July. It's funny that you're taking your finals when my semester is not even halfway over.

Would you have been kept awake if you lived off campus? if you lived in a different building on campus? if nobody had made any noises?
Did you go to sleep later because you couldn't fall asleep? Or because you decided to do something?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 13597
Posted on Tuesday, May 03, 2011 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, mine ends in mid-July. It's funny that you're taking your finals when my semester is not even halfway over. Well, I'm not quite taking them yet, but yeah, that is interesting.

Would you have been kept awake if you lived off campus? No if you lived in a different building on campus? True for certain buildings, but not for others if nobody had made any noises? Not likely
Did you go to sleep later because you couldn't fall asleep? Or because you decided to do something?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 1297
Posted on Tuesday, May 03, 2011 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You didn't answer my last two questions ):

Is the location of your building on campus relevant? the way it is built? the number of rooms? Were you in your room?
Fellow students are relevant... those who celebrated? others?

So, there was noise, but that was not the thing that kept you awake, correct?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 13603
Posted on Tuesday, May 03, 2011 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You didn't answer my last two questions ): Oops - reproducing them below:

Did you go to sleep later because you couldn't fall asleep? Or because you decided to do something? Neither

Is the location of your building on campus relevant? the way it is built? the number of rooms? No to these Were you in your room? Yes
Fellow students are relevant... those who celebrated? Yes others? No

So, there was noise, but that was not the thing that kept you awake, correct? Correct-ish
Galfisk (Galfisk)
Username: Galfisk

Post Number: 3929
Posted on Wednesday, May 04, 2011 - 7:38 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is some property of the noise relevant? Or would any noise from celebrating people do? Were you waiting for something? Listening for something? Counting something? Worrying about something? Were you lying in your bed? Relevant? Did you want to sleep?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 13610
Posted on Wednesday, May 04, 2011 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is some property of the noise relevant? One specific noise (that was part of the celebration) is relevant. Or would any noise from celebrating people do? No Were you waiting for something? Listening for something? Counting something? Worrying about something? All irrel Were you lying in your bed? Not at the time Relevant? No Did you want to sleep? I'd wanted to go to sleep in a few minutes.
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 3936
Posted on Wednesday, May 04, 2011 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Noise: shouting? Yelling? Singing? Clapping? Gunfire? Fireworks? Breaking glass? Vehicles? If not, sound made using: voice? Body? Object?
Noel (Noel)
Username: Noel

Post Number: 2631
Posted on Wednesday, May 04, 2011 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you get an overheard song or chant stuck in your head that kept you awake after the celebrators had moved on and taken the actual noise away?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 13615
Posted on Wednesday, May 04, 2011 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Noise: shouting? Yelling? Singing? Clapping? Gunfire? Fireworks? This Breaking glass? Vehicles? If not, sound made using: voice? Body? Object?

Did you get an overheard song or chant stuck in your head that kept you awake after the celebrators had moved on and taken the actual noise away? No
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 1299
Posted on Wednesday, May 04, 2011 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were you awake longer than the noises went on? Did other people stay up later for the same reason?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 13620
Posted on Wednesday, May 04, 2011 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were you awake longer than the noises went on? Yes Did other people stay up later for the same reason? Yes
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 1300
Posted on Wednesday, May 04, 2011 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you have to clean up the quadrangle?
Were you in your room all the time?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 13624
Posted on Wednesday, May 04, 2011 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you have to clean up the quadrangle? No
Were you in your room all the time? While the fireworks were going off, yes. But...
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 1302
Posted on Wednesday, May 04, 2011 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Where you someplace else before the fireworks went off? afterwards? If so, indoors? outdoors?
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 3941
Posted on Wednesday, May 04, 2011 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you watch the fireworks? Relevant? Did you leave the room after the fireworks? Was there a fire? Or danger of fire? Or other damage caused by fireworks?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 13628
Posted on Wednesday, May 04, 2011 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Where you someplace else before the fireworks went off? afterwards? If so, indoors? outdoors? A few minutes after the fireworks, I went outdoors.

Did you watch the fireworks? No Relevant? No Did you leave the room after the fireworks? See above Was there a fire? YES Or danger of fire? Or other damage caused by fireworks?

I recently found out that my puzzle scenario is based on some incorrect assumptions - proceed as if I were correct all along. I will explain later.
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 1303
Posted on Wednesday, May 04, 2011 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you help extinguish the fire? Did you watch it?
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 3944
Posted on Wednesday, May 04, 2011 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you run away from the fire? Evacuate? Was the fire in your building? Somewhere else? Was the fire in a building at all? Did a fire alarm go off? Relevant?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 13633
Posted on Thursday, May 05, 2011 - 12:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you help extinguish the fire? Did you watch it? No to both

Did you run away from the fire? No Evacuate? Yope Was the fire in your building? No Somewhere else? So yes (it was outside, I think) Was the fire in a building at all? No Did a fire alarm go off? YES Relevant? YES

Post Number: 3772
Posted on Thursday, May 05, 2011 - 12:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Could you not get back to sleep because of the fire alarm, then? poor Balin kitteh, soe much loud noisez, and nawt evun cheezburgurz to makez up for it! *givz sum* here, you can haz. Then we makez moar. =D
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 13641
Posted on Thursday, May 05, 2011 - 12:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Could you not get back to sleep because of the fire alarm, then? Yope - very close.
poor Balin kitteh, soe much loud noisez, and nawt evun cheezburgurz to makez up for it! *givz sum* here, you can haz. Then we makez moar. =D Baht u iz teh wun missin teh cheezburgerz...tankz! *givz moar*

Post Number: 3773
Posted on Thursday, May 05, 2011 - 12:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Could you not get /to/ sleep because of the fire alarm? Had you gotten any sleep at all yet? yuo iz welcum! tankz yuo balin kitteh! *aksepts moar*
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 13645
Posted on Thursday, May 05, 2011 - 12:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Could you not get /to/ sleep because of the fire alarm? Had you gotten any sleep at all yet? Yesish - there's one key piece you haven't gotten. yuo iz welcum! tankz yuo balin kitteh! *aksepts moar*
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 3949
Posted on Thursday, May 05, 2011 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the alarm wake you? Did you go sleep somewhere else, because of the alarm? Somewhere quieter? Did the fire alarm turn off eventually? Did firefighters show up?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 13655
Posted on Thursday, May 05, 2011 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the alarm wake you? No Did you go sleep somewhere else, because of the alarm? No Somewhere quieter? No Did the fire alarm turn off eventually? Yes Did firefighters show up? Yes

HINT for the last bit of info: I was in the dorm at the time the alarm went off. What did I do next?
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 3953
Posted on Thursday, May 05, 2011 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you go to a designated area you were supposed to in case of fire? Did you go to watch the fire? The firefighters? Something else? Would you have gone, had the alarm not sounded?

Post Number: 1268
Posted on Thursday, May 05, 2011 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Evacuate the building? Fail to evacuate the building and be issued a citation by the firefighters?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 13663
Posted on Thursday, May 05, 2011 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you go to a designated area you were supposed to in case of fire? Yup Did you go to watch the fire? The firefighters? Something else? Would you have gone, had the alarm not sounded?

**********SPOILER**********

After word of bin Laden's death spread, students began wildly celebrating in the quad by my dorm. They were shouting, blaring music...and setting off fireworks. About five minutes after the celebration broke up, a fire alarm went off. Since I had to leave my dorm because of the alarm, I could not go to sleep when I'd planned.

Side note #1: About five minutes after we were allowed back in, a massive group of students (a few hundred) took the celebration all around campus. I didn't join in, but apparently, it was nuts.

Side note #2: Apparently, some students had set fire to a stack of newspapers, and it may have been that which caused the alarm. However, it may also have been the fireworks.

Side note #3: We had another fire alarm last night, just after midnight; a smoke detector in one of the downstairs rooms had gone off. This has not been a good week for getting sleep.

Nice work everyone, new puzzle later.

Post Number: 1269
Posted on Friday, May 06, 2011 - 1:02 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oy. We had nothing, mainly because people were studying for finals. And I'm glad. Because to have all that rioting when you need to take finals and study for them s crazy.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: