[Balin] Giving credit where credit is... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - May 2011 » [Balin] Giving credit where credit is due « Previous Next »

Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 13672
Posted on Thursday, May 05, 2011 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm sure the error paid off.
Doriana (Doriana)
Username: Doriana

Post Number: 1311
Posted on Thursday, May 05, 2011 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I = you, Balin?
An error you made? someone else made? several people made? a computer error? spelling error? grammatical error? medical error? an error on a test? error as in a wrong decision?
paid off for you? someone else? several people?
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 3782
Posted on Thursday, May 05, 2011 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

was the error on the LTPF? if so, did the LTPF crash? freeze? did you or someone else double post?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 13675
Posted on Thursday, May 05, 2011 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I = you, Balin? Yes, but other than that I'm not relevant.
An error you made? someone else made? This several people made? a computer error? spelling error? This grammatical error? medical error? an error on a test? And this error as in a wrong decision?
paid off for you? someone else? This several people?

was the error on the LTPF? No if so, did the LTPF crash? freeze? did you or someone else double post?
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 3784
Posted on Thursday, May 05, 2011 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Spelling your name wrong? (Balin? Matt Monitto?) Spelling someone else's name wrong?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 1312
Posted on Thursday, May 05, 2011 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The person who made the error = a student? if so, elementary school? junior high? high school? college? M?F?
Is the person who made the error the same person for whom the error paid off?
Did he get a better grade because of the error?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 13682
Posted on Friday, May 06, 2011 - 4:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Spelling your name wrong? (Balin? Matt Monitto?) No - remember, I'm not actually involved in the events of the puzzle, just the contemplation afterwards. Spelling someone else's name wrong? No

The person who made the error = a student? No, but a student is relevant if so, elementary school? junior high? high school? Assume this, but it could have been any (elementary school less likely though) college? M?F? Irrel and I'm not sure which gender the student was
Is the person who made the error the same person for whom the error paid off? NO
Did he get a better grade because of the error? Yes - that's where the "I'm sure..." comes in.
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 1316
Posted on Friday, May 06, 2011 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the student the one for whom the error paid off? Did a teacher make the error? Was it in one of the test questions? Did he make it when he graded the test?
Was the test multiple choice? essay based?
Shez (Shez)
Username: Shez

Post Number: 702
Posted on Friday, May 06, 2011 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

so was the person who made the error a teacher?

did the person mix up some papers? confuse one student for another?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 13689
Posted on Friday, May 06, 2011 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the student the one for whom the error paid off? Yes Did a teacher make the error? Yes Was it in one of the test questions? Yope/Noish Did he make it when he graded the test? No
Was the test multiple choice? Yes essay based? So no

so was the person who made the error a teacher? Yes

did the person mix up some papers? No confuse one student for another? No
Potato (Potato)
Username: Potato

Post Number: 657
Posted on Friday, May 06, 2011 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the error in the answers? Were several answers correct but the students were allowed to select only one? Or vice versa? Were none of the answers correct?

I'm not familiar with multiple choice tests in the US, so: Did the students have to answer on the test sheet that contained the questions and answers? Or did they have to answer on a seperate sheet? If so, did the seperate sheet contain less/more options than the question sheet? Or less/more questions? Was something wrong about the numbering of the questions so that the answers were assigned to the wrong questions?

Automatic evaluation of the test (like, by a scanner) relevant?

Did the error affect only this one student's test? Or other students', too?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 13697
Posted on Friday, May 06, 2011 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the error in the answers? Yes Were several answers correct but the students were allowed to select only one? No Or vice versa? No Were none of the answers correct? Noish/Yopish...

I'm not familiar with multiple choice tests in the US, so: Did the students have to answer on the test sheet that contained the questions and answers? Yes, No to rest Or did they have to answer on a seperate sheet? If so, did the seperate sheet contain less/more options than the question sheet? Or less/more questions? Was something wrong about the numbering of the questions so that the answers were assigned to the wrong questions?

Automatic evaluation of the test (like, by a scanner) relevant? No

Did the error affect only this one student's test? Yope/Yesish Or other students', too? Yope/Noish
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 1328
Posted on Sunday, May 08, 2011 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the error in one of the answers? More than one? Did the teacher spell one word wrong? Several words? Did the teacher use a different word altogether?

Is the subject relevant? If so, [LTPF list of high school subjects], please.

Relevant how many options there were for each questions? Number of questions relevant? The grade the student got relevant?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 13709
Posted on Sunday, May 08, 2011 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the error in one of the answers? Yes More than one? No Did the teacher spell one word wrong? Yes... Several words? (but no) Did the teacher use a different word altogether? Yope/Yesish

Is the subject relevant? No If so, [LTPF list of high school subjects], please.

Relevant how many options there were for each questions? No, but for this question, there were 4. Number of questions relevant? No The grade the student got relevant? No
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 1331
Posted on Sunday, May 08, 2011 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the spelling error turn one word into a totally different one? Did he spell one letter wrong? swap letters? forget letters? add latters? Did it change the meaning of the question?

If the word had been spelled correctly, would the student have chosen a different answer?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 13714
Posted on Sunday, May 08, 2011 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the spelling error turn one word into a totally different one? Yes Did he spell one letter wrong? How do you spell a letter wrong? swap letters? forget letters? This, he left out one letter add latters? Did it change the meaning of the question? Of that possible answer, yes, but not the question

If the word had been spelled correctly, would the student have chosen a different answer? Possibly
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 749
Posted on Sunday, May 08, 2011 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

did the mising letter change a positive to a negative? or a negative to a positive?

or was it more like changing "any" to "an"?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 1333
Posted on Sunday, May 08, 2011 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You spell a letter wrong by using a different one instead, I'd say? Well, I probably should have phrased that differently :D

Did he pick the answer with the spelling mistake? Relevant how long the answers were? One word? More than one? Sentences?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 13716
Posted on Monday, May 09, 2011 - 3:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

did the mising letter change a positive to a negative? No or a negative to a positive? Yesish

or was it more like changing "any" to "an"? Noish

You spell a letter wrong by using a different one instead, I'd say? Well, I probably should have phrased that differently :D You know I just couldn't resist....

Did he pick the answer with the spelling mistake? Yes Relevant how long the answers were? Only the one with the mistake, which was... One word? More than one? ...this Sentences?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 1337
Posted on Monday, May 09, 2011 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do we have to figure out the exact words?

And could you maybe do a recap? I'm a bit confused.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 13719
Posted on Monday, May 09, 2011 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do we have to figure out the exact words? Yes, which is not as hard as you think.

And could you maybe do a recap? I'm a bit confused. Sure.

RECAP:

A teacher made a typo on a multiple-choice test, leaving out one letter in one of the answers. This changed a certain word to another word. An alert student noticed the typo and, because of it, chose that answer. Because of the situation, I think that answer should have been marked full credit.

HINT: The question about the missing letter changing "a negative to a positive" is important.
Noel (Noel)
Username: Noel

Post Number: 2674
Posted on Monday, May 09, 2011 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the typo leaving off an "a" from the front of the word?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 13722
Posted on Monday, May 09, 2011 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the typo leaving off an "a" from the front of the word? No
Gregoryuconn (Gregoryuconn)
Username: Gregoryuconn

Post Number: 1286
Posted on Tuesday, May 10, 2011 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the subject relevant? If so,
English?
Math?
Science?
History?
Foreign Language? (If this, was the test in the foreign language)?
Religion?
An International Course (like "History of Francophone Society", which I took this past semester)
Literature?
Writing?

Was the new (incorrect) word spelled correctly? Or was it something like rrelevant (from irrelevant) and the student assumed that it was supposed to say relevant? Did the missing letter come from the start of the word?

One more thought: Is the letter corresponding to the answer choice relevant? (Ie A, B, C, D, or possibly E)
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 13734
Posted on Tuesday, May 10, 2011 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the subject relevant? If so, No
English?
Math?
Science?
History?
Foreign Language? (If this, was the test in the foreign language)?
Religion?
An International Course (like "History of Francophone Society", which I took this past semester)
Literature?
Writing?

Was the new (incorrect) word spelled correctly? Yes Or was it something like rrelevant (from irrelevant) and the student assumed that it was supposed to say relevant? So no Did the missing letter come from the start of the word? Yes

One more thought: Is the letter corresponding to the answer choice relevant? It was D, and that's relevant (Ie A, B, C, D, or possibly E)
Potato (Potato)

Post Number: 675
Posted on Tuesday, May 10, 2011 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it something like "No" being changed into "Do" due to the missing "N"?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 13742
Posted on Wednesday, May 11, 2011 - 1:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it something like "No" being changed into "Do" No due to the missing "N"? Yes

The answer was supposed to be "D) N[something]" but it ended up being "D) [something]." The D was not part of the actual text of the typoed answer. (Yes, I know "typoed" isn't really a word.)
Potato (Potato)

Post Number: 682
Posted on Wednesday, May 11, 2011 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmm... Words starting with "N" that become "positive" upon removal of the "N"...

Never?
None?
Nor?
Neither?

You wrote: "The D was not part of the actual text of the typoed answer."
And yet the D is relevant? So the whole thing wouldn't have worked if it had been, for example, answer C?
Is the closing bracket after the D relevant?
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 766
Posted on Wednesday, May 11, 2011 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"None" and "One"?
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 767
Posted on Wednesday, May 11, 2011 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How about "None of the above?" which would only work if D was the last answer
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 13749
Posted on Wednesday, May 11, 2011 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmm... Words starting with "N" that become "positive" upon removal of the "N"...

Never?
None? This
Nor?
Neither?

You wrote: "The D was not part of the actual text of the typoed answer."
And yet the D is relevant? So the whole thing wouldn't have worked if it had been, for example, answer C? That's correct - see below
Is the closing bracket after the D relevant? No

"None" and "One"? YES!

How about "None of the above?" which would only work if D was the last answer Exactly!

**********SPOILER**********

From mylifeisaverage.com, later quoted in Reader's Digest:

Today, there was a typo on a test I was taking. Instead of "(D) none of the above" it said "(D) one of the above", so I circled it.

IMO, ingenuity of that nature deserves full credit.

Nice job everyone, especially Shez for the last push. New puzzle up when I think of one, and shameless plug: My neo-sponse is about 1 post away from being solved, if someone wants to knock that one off.
Vesica (Vesica)
Username: Vesica

Post Number: 1017
Posted on Wednesday, May 11, 2011 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

*snicker* Hey "One of the above" was probably correct. I totally think credit should have been given!
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 771
Posted on Wednesday, May 11, 2011 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Loved it! thanks Balin

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: