[Jacek] Funny or sad? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - May 2011 » [Jacek] Funny or sad? « Previous Next »

Jacek (Jacek)
Username: Jacek

Post Number: 16
Posted on Tuesday, May 17, 2011 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK, I'm a complete newbie here and decided to post my first puzzle. It involves a Youtube spot which is very popular in my country (Poland), but not outside it (at least I hope so). I will be grateful for any advice concerning the phrasing of the puzzle (or any advice at all). So here it goes:

Two guys were amused, at least three got a reason to be sad, and a couple others were indifferent. What happened?
Redwine (Redwine)
Username: Redwine

Post Number: 816
Posted on Tuesday, May 17, 2011 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the amusement, sadness and indifferency were caused by the same event? If so, was the event caused/produced by the two amused people?

Are the people involved H? A? M?
Do all people involved share something in common? If so: location? profession? age? sex? hobby? religion?

And nice to meet someone else from Poland in here :-). Can I, being Polish, ask questions to this puzzle? I cannot recall by now the Youtube spot...
Redwine (Redwine)
Username: Redwine

Post Number: 817
Posted on Tuesday, May 17, 2011 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And it's a practice here that you should put your nickname in the puzzle title.
Jacek (Jacek)

Post Number: 17
Posted on Tuesday, May 17, 2011 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the amusement, sadness and indifferency were caused by the same event?Yes, event or events If so, was the event caused/produced by the two amused people? No

Are the people involved H? A? M? Yes, all of them (or nearly all), mostly irrelevant, however...
Do all people involved share something in common? If so: location? profession? age? sex? hobby? religion? Probably many of them do share things like religion, sex or age (roughly), but most of it is irrelevant, except that they were all in one place when "it" happened

And nice to meet someone else from Poland in here :-).Likewise! I thought I was the only Pole here. Nice to meet you! Can I, being Polish, ask questions to this puzzle? I cannot recall by now the Youtube spot...Sure you can ask questions! If you are into funny Youtube spots and Polish it's very unlikely that you haven't seen this one. But I'm glad you haven't guessed it at once, that means I managed to be vague enough to make the puzzle work!

And it's a practice here that you should put your nickname in the puzzle title.I know, sorry about that. I read the FAQ, just a bit too late. Could a moderator fix that please?
Jacek (Jacek)

Post Number: 18
Posted on Tuesday, May 17, 2011 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just realised that my answer to Redwine's HAM question was a bit vague. Let me clarify that:

H? All A? I think all, mostly irrelevant, however... M? All or allmost all, irrelevant
Jacek (Jacek)

Post Number: 19
Posted on Tuesday, May 17, 2011 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Also the "sharing hobby" part could get a tiny Noish, but not necesserily (it's seemingly irrelevant, but could give you a hint about the setting)
Potato (Potato)
Username: Potato

Post Number: 735
Posted on Tuesday, May 17, 2011 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do the persons all know each other?
Did some of them know each other?
Or did they just randomly meet?
Did they meet in the first place?
Or were they at different locations?
Flashmob relevant?

Did the event(s) take place indoors? Outdoors?

By "event", do you mean something organized by people, such as a concert? Or a sporting event? Or a meeting?
Or is it more of a chain of incidents?
Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 13840
Posted on Tuesday, May 17, 2011 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were the amused guys amused because of the sad guys? The indifferent guys?
Were the sad guys sad because of the amused guys? The indifferent guys?
Jacek (Jacek)

Post Number: 20
Posted on Tuesday, May 17, 2011 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do the persons all know each other? No
Did some of them know each other? Yesish
Or did they just randomly meet? Most of them, yes
Did they meet in the first place? Only in a sense that they were all in one place and could all see each other
Or were they at different locations? no
Flashmob relevant? no

Did the event(s) take place indoors? Outdoors? Outdoors

By "event", do you mean something organized by people, such as a concert? Or a sporting event? Or a meeting? No, it wasn't organized, although some of the people involved may have expected what was going to happen, at least partially
Or is it more of a chain of incidents? That's excactly what it was

Were the amused guys amused because of the sad guys? Yesish, indirectly The indifferent guys? No
Were the sad guys sad because of the amused guys? No. Maybe later they got angry at them, but that's not why they could be sad The indifferent guys? No

A tiny reminder: I didn't say that three guys were visibly sad, or that they expressed their sadness, but only that at least three people apparently had a reason to be sad after what happened
Vesica (Vesica)
Username: Vesica

Post Number: 1093
Posted on Tuesday, May 17, 2011 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Welcome, welcome (again)! Always lovely to see a new face (name?) around here!

Were they all in a public place outdoors?
Such as an outdoor market?
In a park?
Randomly walking down the same street?

Were the amused guys amused because of Schadenfreude?

Did the sad guys:
Lose anything of theirs?
Have something of theirs destroyed?
Lose the chance to go somewhere?
Enjoy some experience?

Any animals relevant here?
Location relevant?
Does it HAVE to be in Poland? Or could it happen somewhere else?
Time period particularly relevant?
Jacek (Jacek)

Post Number: 21
Posted on Tuesday, May 17, 2011 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Welcome, welcome (again)! Always lovely to see a new face (name?) around here! Thanks again! Let's face it: I'm beginning to get hooked on the forum, and it's been only a day since I'm onboard! That stuff's dangerous!

Were they all in a public place outdoors? Yes
Such as an outdoor market? Not a market
In a park? No
Randomly walking down the same street? I don't think any of them were walking...

Were the amused guys amused because of Schadenfreude? I had to look that up... but YES! that was exactly it

Did the sad guys:
Lose anything of theirs? Not really
Have something of theirs destroyed? YES
Lose the chance to go somewhere? Possibly, but not indirectly
Enjoy some experience? Theoretically they could enjoy at least a part of it, but that's dubious

Any animals relevant here? None
Location relevant? Yope. That is to say that the location itself was pretty generic, but it had at least three (say, exactly three) features that enabled the situation to take place there
Does it HAVE to be in Poland? No Or could it happen somewhere else? It could happen anywhere in the world, with some limitations. Actually, when I think about this aspect, there are whole huge regions of Earth where it couldn't happen the way it happened for some reason (Explore if you wish!)
Time period particularly relevant? Yes. Firstly, it would be impossible to happen before a certain date in mankind's history. Secondly, there is a little catch to this question, so I would encourage you to specify what do you mean by "time period" and to explore a bit on the possibilities

Vesica, you're OTRT!
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 13849
Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2011 - 12:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The something of theirs that was destroyed: a house? Car?
Jacek (Jacek)

Post Number: 25
Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2011 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The something of theirs that was destroyed: a house? Car? This
Potato (Potato)
Username: Potato

Post Number: 741
Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2011 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the sad people destroy their car themselves?
Did the amused people do it?
The indifferent ones?

Seeing that some people were indifferent about it, I guess the car wasn't destroyed in a way you'd call spectacular, right?

Was it an accident?
Did another vehicle run into the car?
Did the car run into another vehicle?
Did it run into something else? Like a wall or a lamppost?
Did it fall?
Was it destroyed by some defect?
Or by wrong handling? Like using the wrong kind of fuel?
Is there some irony involved, like the car crashing against the facade of a car repair shop?
Jacek (Jacek)

Post Number: 31
Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2011 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the sad people destroy their car themselves? In a way yes, but not all of them, and not indirectly. Surely they didn't want their cars to be damaged, but...

Did the amused people do it? No, FA.

The indifferent ones? No

Seeing that some people were indifferent about it, I guess the car wasn't destroyed in a way you'd call spectacular, right? I'm not sure I'd call that spectacular, but certainly there was something peculiar about it. Maybe they were indifferent because they didn't see the whole picture, or weren't as mean as the amused guys

Was it an accident? Yes

Did another vehicle run into the car? Yes

Did the car run into another vehicle? Yes, all vehicles involved were cars, but there was more than two of them

Did it run into something else? Like a wall or a lamppost? No

Did it fall? Noish. It didn't fall through air, but there is something to it

Was it destroyed by some defect? No. At this point I must explain that none of the cars was completely destroyed, but rather damaged in a different degree each

Or by wrong handling? Possibly Like using the wrong kind of Something, possibly fuel? but not this

Is there some irony involved,There is some, yes, actually that's what makes the story interesting like the car crashing against the facade of a car repair shop? but not of that kind
Vesica (Vesica)

Post Number: 1111
Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2011 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was anyone inside the car when it crashed?
Were the sad guys touching or interacting with the car?
Were they trying some sort of stunt with the car?
Were they trying to play some sort of prank?
Jacek (Jacek)

Post Number: 33
Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2011 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was anyone inside the car when it crashed? At least in one of the cars, yes
Were the sad guys touching or interacting with the car? Yes, but not all of them
Were they trying some sort of stunt with the car? I don't think so, but it might have looked that way for a while
Were they trying to play some sort of prank? No

We are basically quite close to the answer here. What remains is to guess how did the accident happen, and what was so peculiar or ironic about it. Like I hinted you before, discovering what the time period thing has to do with it will help significantly.
Vesica (Vesica)

Post Number: 1116
Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2011 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the sad guys cause the accident?
Would it be correct to call their car the "Instigator Car" (IC)?

Were they IN the IC at the time of thea accident?

The irony:
Were they demonstrating safe driving techniques at the time?
Were they involved in any sort of education about driving?
Were they police?
Rbruma (Rbruma)
Username: Rbruma

Post Number: 1470
Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2011 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Time period -- as in different parts of the day? Like at dawn? at sunset? in the middle of the night? in the middle of the day?

Or as different seasons of the year? Is weather relevant?

Were any of the guys professional drivers? Like rally drivers, or F1 drivers?
Jacek (Jacek)

Post Number: 40
Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2011 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the sad guys cause the accident? Yesish, but not all of them, and there were other factors to blame for the accident

Would it be correct to call their car the "Instigator Car" (IC)? I'm not sure what that means, but I think no

Were they IN the IC at the time of thea accident? Not all of them, remember that there was more than just one car

The irony:
Were they demonstrating safe driving techniques at the time?
Were they involved in any sort of education about driving?
Were they police? No to all. It wasn't that kind of irony. In fact, what I would call ironical was the amused guys' attitude, in a ironically cruel kind of way

Time period -- as in different parts of the day? Like at dawn? at sunset? in the middle of the night? in the middle of the day? No

Or as different seasons of the year? YES! Is weather relevant? Yesish, some aspects of it

Were any of the guys professional drivers? Like rally drivers, or F1 drivers? Irrelevant, probably no
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 13877
Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2011 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did this happen during spring? Summer? Fall? Winter? Weather conditions relevant?
Jacek (Jacek)

Post Number: 41
Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2011 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did this happen during spring? Summer? Fall? Winter? This Weather conditions relevant? Yes
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 13879
Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2011 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it snowing? Icy? Hailing? Windy?
Jacek (Jacek)

Post Number: 44
Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2011 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it snowing? Icy? This Hailing? Windy?

Now you know why it would be impossible to happen is vast parts of the Earth - because it's never colder than the freezing temperature there.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 13885
Posted on Thursday, May 19, 2011 - 12:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the road icy? Was the car covered with ice?
Jacek (Jacek)

Post Number: 47
Posted on Thursday, May 19, 2011 - 12:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the road icy? This Was the car covered with ice?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 13889
Posted on Thursday, May 19, 2011 - 12:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were the sad guys driving on the road? Driving fast? Did they skid? And crash?
Jacek (Jacek)

Post Number: 49
Posted on Thursday, May 19, 2011 - 12:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were the sad guys driving on the road? Driving fast? Did they skid? Yes And crash?

At this point I think I can reveal the whole story, because there isn't much more left to guess. I admit it wasn't especially profound or interesting, but for me it was a great excercise in posting puzzles and I hope it was at least a bit of a fun to you too! I'll try to make my future puzzles better. So, here it goes.

***** SPOILER *****

Two guys were standing near a road, by a small slope. A taxi was parked a few meters away. It was icy and the road was apparently frozen. The guys calmly watched as a car skidded from the slope and hit the taxi (which seemed to amuse them greatly). Less than a minute later another car skidded as well and hit the same taxi. By three people with a reason to be sad I meant the owners of three damaged cars, and the indifferent people where bystanders, watching what was happening. What I called irony (maybe not completey accurately using the term) was the fact that the amused guys did nothing to prevent the accident (say, by trying to move the car), but instead simply enjoyed the scene. And here's the "locally famous" video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRnwM2xo_-A

The sentence "Ale urwał", uttered twice by one of the guys, became a catchphrase in the Polish language because of the spot's popularity. It means something roughly like "Wow, he tore it off!" in this context, but outside of the context it sounds extremely vague and funny at the same time and is used when someone does something stupid, bold, shocking, unexpected etc.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 13891
Posted on Thursday, May 19, 2011 - 2:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's hilarious -- I can just imagine Car #2's driver thinking "anything you can do I can do better, now watch this"!
Vesica (Vesica)

Post Number: 1155
Posted on Thursday, May 19, 2011 - 2:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's QUITE the video! Very nice first puzzle. Just wait, soon 1/2 your time will be spent thinking, "I could make a puzzle about this". :D

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: