[Jacek] The Icons of Modern Culture Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - May 2011 » [Jacek] The Icons of Modern Culture « Previous Next »

Jacek (Jacek)
Username: Jacek

Post Number: 55
Posted on Friday, May 20, 2011 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This happened today, and I immediately thought: That would make a nice puzzle! Here it is:

She was about 15 years older than me, but as soon as she took it out of her pocket and put in on the table, I realized that we've both spent our childhoods in the same cultural era
Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 13907
Posted on Friday, May 20, 2011 - 1:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

She = H? A? F? "Me" = you, Jacek?

"It" -- an object?

Did you see her put it on the table? In person? Online? On television?
Jacek (Jacek)

Post Number: 56
Posted on Friday, May 20, 2011 - 8:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

She = H? A? F? "Me" = you, Jacek?

"It" -- an object?

Did you see her put it on the table? In person? Yes to all above, no to the rest Online? On television?
Sundowner (Sundowner)
Username: Sundowner

Post Number: 722
Posted on Friday, May 20, 2011 - 8:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did she take an item out of her pocket? an item that normally fits into a pocket? only one item? or several items of which only one is relevant? (like a badge on a key ring)
Has the item a practical use? or did she keep it mainly for nostalgy?
Do you own a similar item?
Same cultural era = communism? post-communism?
Same cultural era but different countries?
Or did you mean to write "cultural area"? like: Eastern Europe? Slavonic countries?
Is the item she put on the table relevant as such? or was it more the way she put it on the table? which revealed a habit that could develop only in a particular cultural background?
Shez (Shez)
Username: Shez

Post Number: 850
Posted on Friday, May 20, 2011 - 8:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

was the item a toy or game? a book or paper with writing? edible? jewellery? a calculator? phone?
Vesica (Vesica)
Username: Vesica

Post Number: 1174
Posted on Friday, May 20, 2011 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Pop culture relevant?
Did she have an item with a logo or picture of some pop culture icon you knew as well?
Cartoons relevant?
Music relevant?
Jacek (Jacek)

Post Number: 57
Posted on Friday, May 20, 2011 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did she take an item out of her pocket? Yes an item that normally fits into a pocket? Yes only one item? or several items of which only one is relevant? (like a badge on a key ring) YES! Not a badge, but a disticntive keyring
Has the item a practical use? Not really or did she keep it mainly for nostalgy? Probably
Do you own a similar item? Yes
Same cultural era = communism? post-communism? Political systems irrelevant
Same cultural era but different countries? Same everywhere, i.e. global
Or did you mean to write "cultural area"? like: Eastern Europe? Slavonic countries? I meant era, and it's not limited to those
Is the item she put on the table relevant as such? Yes or was it more the way she put it on the table? No which revealed a habit that could develop only in a particular cultural background?

was the item a toy This or game? a book or paper with writing? edible? jewellery? a calculator? phone?

We are almost there. I realize now that the puzzle is not very good, since it's pretty easy and doesn't involve a lot of lateral thinking. But I'm glad you're playing anyway!
Vesica (Vesica)

Post Number: 1177
Posted on Friday, May 20, 2011 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

See my Qs at 1:46.

Was it a rubik's cube?
A magic 8 ball?
Something to do with video games?
Jacek (Jacek)

Post Number: 58
Posted on Friday, May 20, 2011 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, sorry! I missed them somehow.

Pop culture relevant? Definetely YES
Did she have an item with a logo or picture of some pop culture icon you knew as well? Neither logo nor picture
Cartoons relevant? Yopish
Music relevant? No
Was it a rubik's cube? No
A magic 8 ball? No
Something to do with video games? Yopish

As we already established, it was a keyring. But what kind of keyring?
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 853
Posted on Friday, May 20, 2011 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

it's a lovely puzzle!
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 13910
Posted on Friday, May 20, 2011 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cartoons relevant? Did the keyring have a depiction of something on it? Of a character?
Vesica (Vesica)

Post Number: 1178
Posted on Friday, May 20, 2011 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A keyring:
Made of or from part from an old videogame controller?
Game cartridge?

You said logos and pictures were not relvant:
Is it a 3-D keyring?
(With the understanding that even flat keyrings have a depth. I mean a key ring that is a non-flat object.)

Sega relevant?
NES?
SNES?
Sony relevant?
Arcade games revelant?

Is the keyring of a human or animal figure?
(including "imaginary animals" like Sonic or Yoshi)
Jacek (Jacek)

Post Number: 62
Posted on Friday, May 20, 2011 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cartoons relevant? Did the keyring have a depiction of something on it? Of a character? YES, however, the character is famous from something else than a cartoon, although he or she appears in (at least) one

A keyring:
Made of or from part from an old videogame controller?
Game cartridge? Neither. A cool idea though.

You said logos and pictures were not relvant:
Is it a 3-D keyring?
(With the understanding that even flat keyrings have a depth. I mean a key ring that is a non-flat object.) Yes

Sega relevant?
NES?
SNES?
Sony relevant?
Arcade games revelant? I'm giving a no to all video gaming related stuff, since, same as with cartoons, the character(s?) involved had appeared in cartoons and games, but that was only a small and marginal percent of their appearances

Is the keyring of a human or animal figure?
(including "imaginary animals" like Sonic or Yoshi) YES, it is a keyring with a figure. Not human though, and neither animal
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 3845
Posted on Friday, May 20, 2011 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tamagotchi or other similar thing? (I had a couple of those...I can't remember what the other thing I had that was similar was called, but it came out around the same time)
Jacek (Jacek)

Post Number: 66
Posted on Friday, May 20, 2011 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tamagotchi or other similar thing? (I had a couple of those...I can't remember what the other thing I had that was similar was called, but it came out around the same time) No. Had one myself too!
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 13921
Posted on Saturday, May 21, 2011 - 5:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The figure -- a ghost? A plant? Fruit/vegetable?
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 860
Posted on Saturday, May 21, 2011 - 9:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

superhuman? alien?
Jacek (Jacek)

Post Number: 67
Posted on Saturday, May 21, 2011 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The figure -- a ghost? A plant? Fruit/vegetable? superhuman? alien? This, in a sense of a fictional character belonging to a non-human sentient species
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 861
Posted on Saturday, May 21, 2011 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ET? a Star Wars character?
Jacek (Jacek)

Post Number: 68
Posted on Saturday, May 21, 2011 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ET? a Star Wars character? Yes, it was a Star Wars character. I guess the puzzle is solved.

****** SPOILER *******

When I saw my teacher's keys lying on the table, I was surprised to notice that she has a LEGO Yoda figure keyring (I myself have a one with Vader, a Christmas gift from my girlfriend). Than I realised that, however she spent her childhood in late 70s / early 80s, and mine was spent a decade and a half later, it was all within "the Star Wars era" (a slight exageration intended).
Doriana (Doriana)
Username: Doriana

Post Number: 1364
Posted on Saturday, May 21, 2011 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nice puzzle, sorry I missed it! (:

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: