(Vesica) Six Degrees of Idiomuzzle #1... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - July 2011 » (Vesica) Six Degrees of Idiomuzzle #1 « Previous Next »

Vesica (Vesica)
Username: Vesica

Post Number: 1436
Posted on Monday, June 13, 2011 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am a word dork. I love words, the origins of words, the nuances of meanings of words. So I’ve had great fun scouring the archives for Idiomuzzle puzzles. I also really love the game “Six Degrees (of Kevin Bacon)” as I’m a bit of a film buff as well. The thought occurred to me, why not combine the two?

About this puzzle:
The words in black are filler words and are not part of the solution statement. The words in GREEN are the starter words. Each of these will need to be decoded five times to reach the solution word (in RED), resulting in six steps from start to finish. The progression will follow the color steps below and I will answer your questions in the color of the step each word is on. (For example, initial questions will be answered in in blue until the Decode 1 word is determined.)

Starter Word
Decode 1
Decode 2
Decode 3
Decode 4
Solution Word

What counts as an Idiom?
Since I plan a series of these, I’ve had to go a little outside “true” idioms and am drawing from idioms, proverbs, maxims and well-known sayings.

Rules:
• Decoding involves finding synonyms, near synonyms, specific examples of the general type (or vice versa) and sound-alikes. Decoded words may change parts of speech moving between steps. For example, a word may be a noun moving from the starter word to Decode 1, but then be used in its verb form to move from Decode 1 to Decode 2.

• In the decoding steps, more than one word might be used for a single word. This will be shown using parenthesis. For example, (white hot) might be used to indicate the decoded word incandescent.

• Words should be decoded using true lateral questions or guesses. I will not answer questions about the number of letters in the solution word, letter it starts or ends with, or if it is a noun, verb, etc. However, if in doubt, ask away. At worst, I will decline to answer your question.

• Words may be formal, informal, archaic usage or slang. (I realize this may disadvantage those without very strong English skills and I will help/hint when needed.)

Hopefully that made sense and I’m not making this whole thing way too complicated. I mostly thought it would be fun to see how far away one can get from the original when travelling the twisting byways of variant meanings.

If you admire the hooligans who were (stone throwers), then perhaps you would “Dislike” the rule that forbids groups who would incite riots from creating Facebook events for their planned uprisings.

P.S. This puzzle took a good deal of time to write so please send early guesses etc. to Vesica at Gmail. Thanks!
Rbruma (Rbruma)
Username: Rbruma

Post Number: 1555
Posted on Monday, June 13, 2011 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is just a question to make sure I understand the rules:

Assuming that what I put in brackets are word / group of words to be decoded, while the ones not in brackets are words in the final solution, is it true that your puzzle statement can be re-written as:

"If [admire] were [stone throwers] then [forbids] would [incite]."
?
Vesica (Vesica)

Post Number: 1439
Posted on Monday, June 13, 2011 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

your puzzle statement can be re-written as:

"If [admire] were [stone throwers] then [forbids] would [incite]."
YES!

I'm not sure I totally understand the point of sticking the phrase INSIDE another statement, but that was the previous format of these types of puzzles so I followed along. Perhaps I should have just changed that. Let's just use the short version:

If admire were (stone throwers) then forbids would incite.

GREEN = to be decoded
RED = Word unchanged in solution.
Noel (Noel)
Username: Noel

Post Number: 2709
Posted on Monday, June 13, 2011 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think the reason they're imbedded in other phrases is so that the black words in the sentence are spacers (so the parentheses wouldn't be necessary because you wouldn't put two green words next together unless they were meant to be read as one unit). That said, I'm not sure doing it that way is necessary, it's just the convention used in the original idiomuzzles and everyone else just copied it.

admire = adore? respect?
stone throwers = sling shots? bullies?
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 3896
Posted on Monday, June 13, 2011 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone." Relevant?
Shez (Shez)
Username: Shez

Post Number: 1016
Posted on Tuesday, June 14, 2011 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not sure I've got this, but only one way to find out:

admire - respect? esteem? appreciate?
stone throwers - detractors? critics? attacker?
forbids - prohibits?
incite - entice? rouse? encourage?
Vesica (Vesica)

Post Number: 1440
Posted on Tuesday, June 14, 2011 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Noel
admire = adore? No
respect? No, but OTRT

stone throwers = sling shots? No, but OTRT
bullies? No

Kayleetonkslupin
"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone." Relevant? Nope.

Shez
Not sure I've got this, but only one way to find out:

admire - respect? No
esteem? No, but both of these are OTRT
appreciate? No

stone throwers - detractors? No
critics? No
attacker? No

forbids - prohibits? No, but OTRT

incite - entice? No, but VERY much OTRT
rouse? No
encourage? No
Peter365 (Peter365)
Username: Peter365

Post Number: 3492
Posted on Tuesday, June 14, 2011 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Vesica

I've a theory so I'm going to mail you.
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Username: Ixoye724

Post Number: 3301
Posted on Tuesday, June 14, 2011 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

stone throwers = catapults?

admire = look up to? revere? honor?

forbids = outlaws? bans?
Vesica (Vesica)

Post Number: 1450
Posted on Tuesday, June 14, 2011 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Peter365
Hi Vesica
I've a theory so I'm going to mail you. I appreciate that! However, that’s not it.

Ixoye724
stone throwers = catapults? YES!

admire = look up to?
revere?
honor? None of these. For this puzzle, you may feel free to use Thesaurus.com and put in admire.

forbids = outlaws? YES!
bans?

UPDATED PUZZLE STATEMENT:
(Also, I think this will be easier if I make the “null” words black, yes?? SO we are only working on the words in COLOR.)

If admire were catapults then outlaws would incite.

GREEN = Starter Word
BLUE = Decode 1
Sundowner (Sundowner)
Username: Sundowner

Post Number: 803
Posted on Tuesday, June 14, 2011 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

incite -> excite?
admire -> admiral? butterfly? monarch? king?
admire -> extol?
Vesica (Vesica)

Post Number: 1453
Posted on Tuesday, June 14, 2011 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

incite -> excite? YES!

admire -> admiral? butterfly? monarch? king? No to these
admire -> extol? No, but OTRT

So far for ADMIRE we have:
Respect, esteem and extol as close.

HINT: Think in terms of admiring something someone has done.

If admire were catapults then outlaws would excite.

GREEN= Starter Word
BLUE= Decode 1
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 3305
Posted on Tuesday, June 14, 2011 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

admire = appreciate? value?
Vesica (Vesica)

Post Number: 1454
Posted on Tuesday, June 14, 2011 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

admire = appreciate? value? Neither of these. Appreciate is closer than value.
Gregoryuconn (Gregoryuconn)
Username: Gregoryuconn

Post Number: 1391
Posted on Tuesday, June 14, 2011 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Admire = support? Look up to? Love? Secret (as in secret admirer)? hero? pride? proud of?

Catapults = launches? Tosses? Brass? Throws?

Outlaws = criminals? A specific type of criminal? If so, would you accept the [LTPF list of crimes]?

excite = arouse? Stimulate? Give joy to? Joy? Happy happy joy joy? Jubilant? Jubliation?
Vesica (Vesica)

Post Number: 1461
Posted on Tuesday, June 14, 2011 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gregoryuconn
Admire = support? Look up to? Love? Secret (as in secret admirer)? hero? pride? None of these.

proud of? This is the closest yet.

Catapults = launches? YES!! First guess. VERY nicely done.
Tosses? Brass? Throws? And so no to these

Outlaws = criminals? Right track, but not this word.
A specific type of criminal? If so, would you accept the [LTPF list of crimes]? Not a specific type (as in “robber”).

excite = arouse? Stimulate? No but right track
Give joy to? Joy? No, wrong track

Happy happy joy joy? LO-OG, LO-OG, Fun for a girl or a boy!

Jubilant? Jubliation? No and wrong track.

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

If admire were launches then outlaws would excite.

GREEN = Starter Word
BLUE = Decode 1
CYAN =Decode 2
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 1020
Posted on Tuesday, June 14, 2011 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gotit! I'll email
Vesica (Vesica)

Post Number: 1462
Posted on Tuesday, June 14, 2011 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'll be on the lookout.

Post Number: 1392
Posted on Tuesday, June 14, 2011 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

First of all, what's a lo-og, second of all, I don't remember that being in any ad other than some bread/cake commercial, possibly Sarah Lee. And now for the guesses

outlaws = crooks? Rascals? Menaces?
launches = rocket? (As in a rocket launch)? Lift-off?

So "arouse" and "stimulate" are on the right track for "excite" but "give joy to" is on the wrong track.... This wouldn't have anything to do with Anthony Weiner, would it? Or with... er, things that can be referred to by his last name?
Vesica (Vesica)

Post Number: 1465
Posted on Tuesday, June 14, 2011 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

First of all, what's a lo-og, second of all, I don't remember that being in any ad other than some bread/cake commercial, possibly Sarah Lee. And now for the guesses Just me being a dork. Ren & Stimpy (from whence “HappyHappy JoyJoy) springs also did a parody commercial for “Log” that used the Slinky jingle (“It's Slinky, it's Slinky, for fun it's a wonderful toy/It's Slinky, it's Slinky, it's fun for a girl and a boy”). Thiers was “It's Log, Log, it's big, it's heavy, it's wood./It's Log, Log, it's better than bad, it's good!”…except they drew out the word “Log” to make it fit where “Slinky” had, making it two syllables – “Lo-og”.

outlaws = crooks? Rascals? Menaces? No, but right track

launches = rocket? (As in a rocket launch)? Lift-off? No to all

So "arouse" and "stimulate" are on the right track for "excite" Yes
but "give joy to" is on the wrong track.... Correct
This wouldn't have anything to do with Anthony Weiner, would it? No
Or with... er, things that can be referred to by his last name? Yesish, but this is a G-rated puzzle so keep it vague.
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 1027
Posted on Wednesday, June 15, 2011 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

oh - how do I email you? your email addresss is hidden
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 1028
Posted on Wednesday, June 15, 2011 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

anyway, I could be wrong...

outlaws = ragamuffins? rapscallion? rogue? scamp? scoundrel?

launches = ships? boats? vessels? opens? initiates? starts? begins? commences?

excite - motivate? kindle? inspire? encourage? fuel?
Vesica (Vesica)

Post Number: 1471
Posted on Wednesday, June 15, 2011 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Shez
oh - how do I email you? your email addresss is hidden Well, yes…but it is in the last line of the puzzle post. My LTPF username at Gmail.

outlaws = ragamuffins? No
rapscallion? No
rogue? YES
scamp? scoundrel? No to both

launches = ships? boats? vessels? No to these
opens? initiates? starts? No, but right track
begins? YES!

excite - motivate? No
kindle? No but right track
inspire? No
encourage? No
fuel? No, but right track

HINT: For “admire”, if I said I admire the way a coworker handled an angry customer, I could say that I __________ their actions.

If admire were begins then rogues would excite.

GREEN = Starter Word
BLUE = Decode 1
CYAN =Decode 2
PURPLE = Decode 3

Post Number: 1398
Posted on Wednesday, June 15, 2011 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Excite = ignite?
Rogues = rouge? nomads?
Begins = ends? starts? Genesis?
admire = appreciate? desire? take pride in? support?
Vesica (Vesica)

Post Number: 1474
Posted on Wednesday, June 15, 2011 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Excite = ignite? No but very similar to this word.

Rogues = rouge? Huh?? No
nomads? No

Begins = ends? starts? Genesis? No to all

admire = appreciate? desire? take pride in? support? No to all. Appreciate and Take pride in are closest.
(The word we are looking for would often be followed by “of” in the sentence I gave.)
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 3310
Posted on Wednesday, June 15, 2011 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

admire = approve? be proud (of)?

excite = fire up? spark? light? inflame?

Post Number: 1401
Posted on Wednesday, June 15, 2011 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

excite = ignition? ignites? ignitor?
admire = be appreciative (of)? be proud (of)?
Begins = Menachem (Begin)? Reagan? Bay of Pigs Invasion? (Like in "We Didn't Start the Fire")
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 1032
Posted on Wednesday, June 15, 2011 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

excite = incite?

begins = commences? opens? intigates? initiates? activates? creates?
Vesica (Vesica)

Post Number: 1478
Posted on Wednesday, June 15, 2011 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ixoye724
admire = approve? YES!
be proud (of)? No

excite = fire up? spark? light? No to these
inflame? YES!

Gregoryuconn
excite = ignition? ignites? ignitor? Solved! See above.

admire = be appreciative (of)? be proud (of)? Solved! See above.

Begins = Menachem (Begin)? Reagan? Bay of Pigs Invasion? (Like in "We Didn't Start the Fire") None of these

Shez
excite = incite? Solved! See above.

begins = commences? opens? intigates? initiates? activates? creates? None of these. Initiates or instigates it the closest.

If approves were begins then rogues would inflames.

BLUE = Decode 1
CYAN =Decode 2
PURPLE = Decode 3
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 3312
Posted on Wednesday, June 15, 2011 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

approves = yesses? okays? allows? accepts? agrees?

begins = sets off? kicks off? opens?
Hominid (Hominid)
Username: Hominid

Post Number: 353
Posted on Wednesday, June 15, 2011 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

approves=likes?
begins=causes? leads (to)?
inflames=lights?
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 1033
Posted on Wednesday, June 15, 2011 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

inflames = anger? provoke? agitate? kindle?

rogues = vagabonds?
Vesica (Vesica)

Post Number: 1481
Posted on Wednesday, June 15, 2011 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ixoye724
approves = yesses? okays? No, but these are on the right track.
allows? accepts? No, wrong track
agrees? No

begins = sets off? kicks off? opens? None of these.

Hominid
approves=likes? No

begins=causes? leads (to)? No

inflames=lights? No

HINT on both “approves” and “begins”: The current word and the next decode for both are linked when the word you have is used in a certain context/ “when talking about X”. This may help if you all are tiring of straight up guessing.
Vesica (Vesica)

Post Number: 1482
Posted on Wednesday, June 15, 2011 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Shez
inflames = anger? No
provoke? agitate? These are closest.
kindle? No

rogues = vagabonds? No
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 1034
Posted on Wednesday, June 15, 2011 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

inflame = incense? aggravate? needle? hassle? irritate?
Hominid (Hominid)

Post Number: 354
Posted on Wednesday, June 15, 2011 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

approves=allows? lets?
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 1035
Posted on Wednesday, June 15, 2011 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

approves = endorses? supports?
Vesica (Vesica)

Post Number: 1488
Posted on Thursday, June 16, 2011 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Shez
inflame = incense? aggravate? needle? hassle? No to these
irritate? YES!

Hominid
approves=allows? lets? No to both

Shez
approves = endorses? This is REALLY REALLY close.
supports? No

If approves were begins then rogues would irritate.

BLUE = Decode 1
CYAN =Decode 2
PURPLE = Decode 3
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 1037
Posted on Thursday, June 16, 2011 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

approves = sanctions?

irritate = rile? bother? aggravate? bother? exasparate? annoy? infuriate? worry? hassle?

begins = prompts? originates?
Vesica (Vesica)

Post Number: 1493
Posted on Thursday, June 16, 2011 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Shez
approves = sanctions? No

irritate = rile? No
bother? No, but right track.
aggravate? No
bother? You have this one twice.
exasparate? No
annoy? No, but right track.
infuriate? No
worry? No
hassle? No, but right track.

begins = prompts? No
originates? No

Hint for “begins”: It would be common to see this word used for talking about “beginning” a journey or expedition.
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 3317
Posted on Thursday, June 16, 2011 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

begins = sets off?

irritate = pester? aggravate?
Vesica (Vesica)

Post Number: 1495
Posted on Thursday, June 16, 2011 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

begins = sets off? No

irritate = pester? aggravate? No
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 3318
Posted on Thursday, June 16, 2011 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

irritate = irk? chafe? worry?

begins = embarks?
Vesica (Vesica)

Post Number: 1496
Posted on Thursday, June 16, 2011 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

irritate = irk? No, but right track.
chafe? worry? No

begins = embarks? No, but very right track.
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 3319
Posted on Thursday, June 16, 2011 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

begins = heads out? sets out? boards? launches? sets sail? commences? enters? gets going? originates? undertakes?

irritate = bug? disturb? inconvenience? miff? provoke? ruffle? trouble? vex? stir (up)?
Vesica (Vesica)

Post Number: 1498
Posted on Thursday, June 16, 2011 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

irritate = bug? No, but right track

disturb? inconvenience? miff? provoke? ruffle? trouble? No to these
vex? This is on the right track too.
stir (up)? No
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 1039
Posted on Thursday, June 16, 2011 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

approves = backs? INdorses?
Vesica (Vesica)

Post Number: 1503
Posted on Thursday, June 16, 2011 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

approves = backs? No, this meaning is the wrong track.

INdorses? Some online dictionaries show this as the same as ENdorse.
Those that do not actully show ENdorse as being closer in meaning to the mystery word than INdorse.
Hominid (Hominid)

Post Number: 360
Posted on Thursday, June 16, 2011 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

irritate=annoy? bug? disturb?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 3328
Posted on Friday, June 17, 2011 - 4:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

begins = genesis?
Did you see the earlier post about this word?
Sundowner (Sundowner)

Post Number: 810
Posted on Friday, June 17, 2011 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

approve -> confirm? consent? accredit? allow? permit? tolerate? mandate?
Vesica (Vesica)

Post Number: 1509
Posted on Friday, June 17, 2011 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hominid
irritate=annoy? No
bug? Of these three, this is closest.
disturb? No

Ixoye724
begins = genesis? No
Did you see the earlier post about this word? Whoops! I did not. Let me fix that now…

begins = heads out? sets out? boards? No and wrong track
launches? No but closer
sets sail? commences? enters? gets going? originates? No
undertakes? This is the closest yet, but still no.

irritate = bug? disturb? inconvenience? miff? provoke? ruffle? trouble? vex? stir (up)?
No to all. Bug and vex are closest.

Sundowner
approve -> confirm? consent? accredit? allow? permit? tolerate? mandate? No…these are the wrong direction.

Further HINT on “approve”: You all were close with ‘endorse’. VERY close in fact. Think of ‘approve’ and ‘endorse’ in terms of business or lawmaking.

Further HINT on “begins”: Actually, I’m out of hints. The best I can tell you is that the most common place to see the word you are looking for used is in talking about an expedition. As in “The great explorer announced his plans to ______ an expedition to the summit of Everest”.

(Both these decodes are probably the MOST lateral in this puzzle…which is why they are taking a while and we're a bit stuck.)
Vesica (Vesica)

Post Number: 1510
Posted on Friday, June 17, 2011 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Also, while most of these decodes have involved finding basic synonyms, remember we already had one where you needed to use a different definition/part of speech of the word (stone throwers to catapaults to launches).
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 3335
Posted on Friday, June 17, 2011 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmmmmm....

begins = tackles? commences? proceeds?

approve = enact? pass? elect? ratify? legalize?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 1567
Posted on Friday, June 17, 2011 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

begins = starts?
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 2715
Posted on Friday, June 17, 2011 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

begins = sets off on?
approve = sponsor?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 3493
Posted on Friday, June 17, 2011 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Begin - lead
Vesica (Vesica)

Post Number: 1516
Posted on Monday, June 20, 2011 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ixoye724
begins = tackles? commences? proceeds? No to all

approve = enact? pass? elect? ratify? legalize? No to all. “Endorse” is closer than these.

Noel
begins = sets off on? No
approve = sponsor? No

Peter365
Begin – lead No
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 2716
Posted on Monday, June 20, 2011 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

approve = support?
Vesica (Vesica)

Post Number: 1517
Posted on Monday, June 20, 2011 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

approve = support? no
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 1042
Posted on Monday, June 20, 2011 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

approve = sanction? consent? ratify?

begins = mounts?

irritate = cross?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 1574
Posted on Monday, June 20, 2011 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You missed my attempt...

Post Number: 1419
Posted on Tuesday, June 21, 2011 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Begins = embarks? embarks on?

Approves = supports? Endorses? sponsors? co-sponsors? passes (like a law)?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 3344
Posted on Tuesday, June 21, 2011 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

approve = notarize? okay? thumbs-up? vote in? stamp? sign?
Vesica (Vesica)

Post Number: 1529
Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2011 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry for the long pause. Thought I would have more chance to respond while out of town on business. Sadly, I barely had time to sleep, let alone check in here. But it looks like we are making great progress here!

Shez
approve = sanction? consent? No to these.
ratify? No, but also VERY close.

begins = mounts? YES!!

irritate = cross? No.

Rbruma
You missed my attempt...So sorry!!
begins = starts? Now solved – See above.

Gregoryuconn
Begins = embarks? embarks on? Now solved – See above.

Approves = supports? Endorses? sponsors? co-sponsors? passes (like a law)? No to these.

Ixoye724
approve = notarize? okay? thumbs-up? vote in? stamp? No to these.

sign? YES!!

If signs were mounts then rogues would irritate.

CYAN =Decode 2
PURPLE = Decode 3
ORANGE = Decode 4 (next solve will be the word in the solution.)

Post Number: 3907
Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2011 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

mounts = horses?
Vesica (Vesica)

Post Number: 1530
Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2011 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

mounts = horses? YES!

If signs were HORSES then rogues would irritate.

CYAN =Decode 2
PURPLE = Decode 3
ORANGE = Decode 4
RED = SOLUTION WORD.
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 1104
Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2011 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

signs = signals? autographs? marks? notices? symbols?
Vesica (Vesica)

Post Number: 1536
Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2011 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Signs = signals? autographs? marks? notices? symbols? None of these.
Hominid (Hominid)

Post Number: 393
Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2011 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

signs=notices? posters?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 3505
Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2011 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

signs = Omens? Portents?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 3506
Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2011 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Vesica

Seconds after posting my question what I think might be the solution popped into my head.

I'll e-mail it to you and bow out if i'm right.
Sundowner (Sundowner)

Post Number: 829
Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2011 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

irritate -> hassle -> ride?
Vesica (Vesica)

Post Number: 1557
Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2011 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hominid
signs=notices? posters? No to both.

Peter365
signs = Omens? Portents? No, but these are both the synonyms for the word we want.

I'll e-mail it to you and bow out if i'm right.
You are indeed correct!! Well done!

Sundowner
irritate -> hassle -> ride? I was looking for a different middle word, but the final one is correct – so good enough!!

If signs were HORSES then rogues would RIDE.

CYAN =Decode 2
PURPLE = Decode 3
ORANGE = Decode 4
RED = SOLUTION WORD

Post Number: 3910
Posted on Sunday, July 03, 2011 - 1:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rogues = thieves = beggars? (*has "Hoist the Colours" from PotC stuck in head* "yo ho, thieves and beggars, never shall we die...")
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 1131
Posted on Sunday, July 03, 2011 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

signs = auguries? presages?
Fionakelleghan (Fionakelleghan)
Username: Fionakelleghan

Post Number: 38
Posted on Monday, July 04, 2011 - 4:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If clones were outlawed, then only outlaws would have clones?
Vesica (Vesica)

Post Number: 1583
Posted on Tuesday, July 05, 2011 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kayleetonkslupin
Rogues = thieves = beggars? Not the way I got there, but we will go with this – YES!

Shez
signs = auguries? presages? Auguries could work, but let’s say ‘prophecies’, shall we?

Fionakelleghan
If clones were outlawed, then only outlaws would have clones? Made me grin, but no.

If prophecies were HORSES then BEGGARS would RIDE.

CYAN =Decode 2
PURPLE = Decode 3
ORANGE = Decode 4
RED = SOLUTION WORD

We’re far enough along that open guess are fine. We should be just about done…
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 1145
Posted on Tuesday, July 05, 2011 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

no no! I guessed this ages back, but even knowing the answer I'm having fun guessing the steps. in fact, maybe even more fun.
Vesica (Vesica)

Post Number: 1587
Posted on Tuesday, July 05, 2011 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, as long as we're not driving you batty! Guess away. One word left to decode, unless you are dead set on figuring out how to get to "Beggars" as well. (By way of hint: You need to use "rogue" as a verb, not a noun.)

Post Number: 3912
Posted on Tuesday, July 05, 2011 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If wishes were horses, then beggars would ride? (I'm pretty sure that's the answer, although the path from prophecies to wishes is eluding me)
Vesica (Vesica)

Post Number: 1590
Posted on Wednesday, July 06, 2011 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If wishes were horses, then beggars would ride? (I'm pretty sure that's the answer, although the path from prophecies to wishes is eluding me)
That is it!

Shez - Did you still want to work on how to get to "wishes"??
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 1149
Posted on Wednesday, July 06, 2011 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

no - please put me out of my misery!
Vesica (Vesica)

Post Number: 1606
Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2011 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hopefully those of you who participated enjoyed this. I tried to be flexible in the path from start to finish, but below I have listed my original mapping for the decodings.

****** SPOILER ******

The phrase is “If wishes were horses, then beggars would ride.”

While there are many possible ways to get from start to finish, here is what I had mapped out.

admire > approves > signs > prophesies > expectations > wishes

stone throwers > catapults > launches > begins > mounts > horses

forbids > outlaws > rogue > cheats > fleeces/swindles > beggars

incite > excite > inflame > irritate > nag > ride

Hopefully it was more fun than frustrating.

So…do I run one of these again sometime or is everyone thrilled to see this one finished?
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 1155
Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2011 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

grrr! I can't believe I didn't get it. Loved this puzzle - more, more more!
Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 13981
Posted on Saturday, July 09, 2011 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow - we've had 2- or 3-stage idiomuzzles but never this many! Nice work!
Biograd (Biograd)
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 1832
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2011 - 4:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What does this idiom mean, by the way?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: