{KayleeTonksLupin} Why, Daddy? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - July 2011 » {KayleeTonksLupin} Why, Daddy? « Previous Next »

Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 3925
Posted on Friday, July 08, 2011 - 6:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

She asked her father what it meant, because it was never explained to her.
About 20 years later, she showed what could happen because of this oversight.
About 30 years later, I was frightened by the very idea.
Yatin509 (Yatin509)
Username: Yatin509

Post Number: 76
Posted on Friday, July 08, 2011 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is I her son?

Is it something that every child wants to know?

Are you talking about how babies are born?

Was it really frightening or it was frightening for your age?

Your age relevant?

Her age relevant?

So it's a thing which is frightening for a child?

Post Number: 3928
Posted on Friday, July 08, 2011 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is I her son? no, I is me, Kaylee, but good q.

Is it something that every child wants to know? probably not, it applies to children growing up in one country, mostly

Are you talking about how babies are born? LOL! No. *grin* Totally on the wrong track

Was it really frightening or it was frightening for your age? It was probably more frightening for me at my age than it might have been were I younger.

Your age relevant? I'm 26.

Her age relevant? She was a child when she first asked the question of her father, and probably about the age I am now 20 years later (but 30 years ago)

So it's a thing which is frightening for a child? Well, we're dealing with a few "somethings". The question she asked might be puzzling for a child. The implication is frightening for adults, and the potential result, were it to occur, could be frightening for both.
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Username: Haenlomal

Post Number: 1031
Posted on Friday, July 08, 2011 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Her = your mother?
Her father = your grandfather?

Relevant?

Post Number: 3929
Posted on Friday, July 08, 2011 - 9:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Her = your mother? No
Her father = your grandfather? So No, again

Relevant? It's relevant that they aren't, because they are both famous because of the situation in this puzzle. But I'm sure my mother and grandfather could just as easily have had the initial conversation, as could any child and parent, providing one particular circumstance was present. The conversation would be MUCH less likely to happen these days, sadly.
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Username: Haenlomal

Post Number: 1032
Posted on Friday, July 08, 2011 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

War relevant? Diplomacy relevant? Any animals relevant?

Is "it" an object? creature? concept? that could be found in real life? Or is "it" an object? creature? concept? found in fantasy/imagination? (for example, a dragon could be considered a fantasy object)

Post Number: 3930
Posted on Friday, July 08, 2011 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

War relevant? Yes, to the potential situation that could arise. Diplomacy relevant? Yope-Yesish Any animals relevant? I don't think so, no

Is "it" an object? creature? concept? that could be found in real life? The "it" that needed explanation? Concept is closest, I suppose. Or is "it" an object? creature? concept? found in fantasy/imagination? (for example, a dragon could be considered a fantasy object)No, though the confusion over "it" inspired a fictional work, and its adaptation, which must be identified to solve the puzzle
Yatin509 (Yatin509)

Post Number: 78
Posted on Saturday, July 09, 2011 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Terrorist attack? Bomb explosion? War as in such Between countries?

Did deaths occur due to what she saw after 20 years?

Is your and her relation relevant?

Are you talking about a colonial takeover?
A monarchy takeover?
Taking away of rights?
Shez (Shez)
Username: Shez

Post Number: 1201
Posted on Saturday, July 09, 2011 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

are the two people film stars? royalty?

did they only become famous because of the fictional adaptation?

Post Number: 3933
Posted on Saturday, July 09, 2011 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Terrorist attack? Bomb explosion? War as in such Between countries? The potential situation which could arise is the takeover of one country by another. The conquered country is important to identify, the conquerors are not, just that they managed it.

Did deaths occur due to what she saw after 20 years? Mmm...That's difficult to say. Not in real life.

Is your and her relation relevant? I have absolutely no 'relation' with her as such, other than that I saw her performance displaying her father's idea of what could happen.

Are you talking about a colonial takeover? The country in question was conquered by another. It could have been made a colony, I suppose
A monarchy takeover? the country didn't have a monarchy, but depending on its conquerors, it might have one now (in the potential situation)
Taking away of rights? this was certainly implied)

are the two people film stars? she starred in a short film, which I saw royalty? no, but bonus marks for remembering my favourite obsession

did they only become famous because of the fictional adaptation? because of the fictional work and its short film adaptation, yes

Post Number: 3934
Posted on Saturday, July 09, 2011 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

BLOOPER: The father is a noted author (though I'm not sure he's "famous" these days) but this is apparently not one of the works he's most noted for.
Yatin509 (Yatin509)

Post Number: 86
Posted on Saturday, July 09, 2011 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he wrote about the new government? Old government?

Did he wrote about a state when colonization takes place? She asked about it?

Was he some newspaper reporter before?

Did he wrote a book about some country taking over other country peoples right and the condition of the people?

Brutal killing relevant?

Religion relevant? Race relevant? Language relevant?

She also became a writer?
Did she show oversight means she conquered some country(either in the movie)?

Based on Hitler?

Was the father sent out of the country because he taught some other language?

She showed the sight in the movie?
Fionakelleghan (Fionakelleghan)
Username: Fionakelleghan

Post Number: 110
Posted on Sunday, July 10, 2011 - 4:52 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are we talking about developed countries? developing countries?

Adjacent countries?

Colonies?

Pollution? Genetic mutation?

I was going to suggest Japan, but you said probably not animals - and I suspect that most of us here have read or heard about "The dancing cats of Minamata Bay." Shudder!

Was the film adaptation meant as a feature or as a documentary?

Post Number: 3935
Posted on Sunday, July 10, 2011 - 7:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yatin: Sorry, I'm having trouble with some of your questions, but I'll try to answer them as best I can!

Did he wrote about the new government? Old government? The story's very short, but it deals with one particular consequence of the aftermath of a real country's being conquered (which hasn't happened in real life, the whole point is it's a "what if?" story)

Did he wrote about a state when colonization takes place? It's not stated if the unnamed conquerors made the country a colony of theirs, so I think this is irrelevant She asked about it? No, but her question spawned the idea for the story

Was he some newspaper reporter before? he was not, he was a novelist along with a couple other jobs

Did he wrote a book about some country taking over other country peoples right and the condition of the people?

Brutal killing relevant? as far as I know it's not explicitly stated, but wars do generally include brutal killings. The story doesn't talk about what happened during the war, just afterward, though.

Religion relevant? Yes Race relevant? Language relevant? No to both

She also became a writer? No
Did she show oversight means she conquered some country(either in the movie)? She starred in the movie as someone working for the conquerors, but I wouldn't call her responsible for the conquering. The character she portrayed was the one responsible for showing what this oversight could do, yes.

Based on Hitler? Hmm...Maybe, it's hard to say because the conquering country was never identified, but Hitler's ideology might be slightly relevant. Not Hitler personally, though.

Was the father sent out of the country because he taught some other language? No. The father wrote a book, and the short story's fictional events, adapted into a movie his daughter starred in, showed the possibility of what the oversight might cost the conquered country.

She showed the sight in the movie? Please rephrase, but I think I answered your question above.

Fiona Kellaghan

Are we talking about developed countries? The conquered, real country (though the conquering is fictional) is a developed country. The conqueror is probably developed, or
developing countries? maybe developing, though I'd be surprised.

Adjacent countries? As the conqueror was never named, I couldn't say, though I sincerely HOPE the countries adjacent to the subjugated one would NEVER do this. In any case, I do not think either of its neighbors are meant to be the enemy in question.

Colonies? So far as I know, colonies aren't mentioned. The conquered country might end up as a colony of the conqueror, but irrelevant.

Pollution? Genetic mutation? Neither one is relevant to the short story.

I was going to suggest Japan, but you said probably not animals - and I suspect that most of us here have read or heard about "The dancing cats of Minamata Bay." Shudder! If so, I'm not one of them. Japan COULD be the enemy intended, but the character didn't appear to be Japanese, though that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Was the film adaptation meant as a feature or as a documentary? It was a short film meant for TV, as an installment in a series, and is available on YouTube, though apparently hard to find elsewhere. The book is still in print.

Post Number: 121
Posted on Sunday, July 10, 2011 - 8:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi! - Okay, did it appear as a Twilight Zone ep?

Were there 3 people in the story? 300? 3 million?

Was she a human girl? A computer bank, like the computers on the Star Trek bridge? A translator? Was she married or pregnant and thinking about how to express this problem, some time down the road?

Post Number: 3937
Posted on Sunday, July 10, 2011 - 8:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi! - Okay, did it appear as a Twilight Zone ep? no

Were there 3 people in the story? I'd say about 20 or so were shown, though more were likely involved behind the scenes, of course 300? 3 million?

Was she a human girl? the girl who asked the question? Yes, she was a real human girl, this part of the story is a true event that spawned her father writing the fictional account A computer bank, like the computers on the Star Trek bridge? A translator? Was she married or pregnant and thinking about how to express this problem, some time down the road? none of the rest. She was six years old when she gave her father the idea for the story, and twenty-six or so (my age) when she acted in the adaptation. So she must be about fifty-six (close to my mom's age) now.
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 1209
Posted on Sunday, July 10, 2011 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is the conquered country the USA?

Post Number: 3938
Posted on Sunday, July 10, 2011 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is the conquered country the USA? YES, and that is important.
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 1214
Posted on Monday, July 11, 2011 - 9:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

the only story I can think of is "The Mouse That Roared"

is the story science fiction?

Post Number: 3941
Posted on Monday, July 11, 2011 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

the only story I can think of is "The Mouse That Roared" not that one *puts it on future reading list*

is the story science fiction? It's classified as a "Novella Allegory" by its Wikipedia article.
Gregoryuconn (Gregoryuconn)
Username: Gregoryuconn

Post Number: 1445
Posted on Monday, July 11, 2011 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Alternative history fiction relevant (eg: a fictional novel set in a world where the blitz of England succeeded and the Nazis won WWII)? Would you allow [LTPF List of COuntries] for the conquered nation? If not, is it the country where the author lives (lived)? Is it America? Britain? The Middle East? Israel (although given what you've said, I highly doubt it) Would you accept at least an [LTPF List of Continents]?

On a slightly different track, by my math the beginning of this would have occurred 50 years ago, in the height of the Cold War. Relevant? If so, was the conquered (hypothetically) country allied with the Soviets and other Eastern Bloc nations? The USA and other Western Bloc nations? Unalligned? Relevant?

Post Number: 3946
Posted on Monday, July 11, 2011 - 9:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Alternative history fiction relevant (eg: a fictional novel set in a world where the blitz of England succeeded and the Nazis won WWII)? only in that America was fictionally conquered, I do not know that any previous historical events were changed Would you allow [LTPF List of COuntries] for the conquered nation? it has already been discovered, lol If not, is it the country where the author lives (lived)? he lived there, but he was not from there (hint) Is it America? it is Britain? The Middle East? Israel (although given what you've said, I highly doubt it) no to rest Would you accept at least an [LTPF List of Continents]?

On a slightly different track, by my math the beginning of this would have occurred 50 years ago, in the height of the Cold War. Relevant? only in that the Cold War probably was the reason for having war on his mind If so, was the conquered (hypothetically) country allied with the Soviets and other Eastern Bloc nations? The USA and other Western Bloc nations? Unalligned? Relevant? it was the USA, and one might presume the supposed conquerors to be the Soviets, or any other enemies we've fought since then, insert your choice

Post Number: 135
Posted on Tuesday, July 12, 2011 - 6:26 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kaylee, rummaging through my mind I find some similarities between your descriptions and the fiction of Philip Dick.

I'm thinking mostly of The Man in the High Castle, but your other clues are baffling me.

It's fun to be baffled!
Hugs,
Fiona

Post Number: 3957
Posted on Tuesday, July 12, 2011 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kaylee, rummaging through my mind I find some similarities between your descriptions and the fiction of Philip Dick.

I'm thinking mostly of The Man in the High Castle, but your other clues are baffling me.

It's fun to be baffled!
Hugs,
Fiona

It is not in fact Philip Dick, as I do not know who that is, nor have I read The Man in the High Castle. *adds this to reading list* But I am glad it is fun to be baffled. I just hope it is as fun to keep trying to solve the puzzle. Perhaps asking more questions about the author would help?

Hugs,
Kaylee kitteh
*givz fiona kitteh cheezburgur*

Post Number: 139
Posted on Wednesday, July 13, 2011 - 5:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Kaylee kitteh, I chomp on my cheezburgur!

[I'll ask forgiveness right now for repeating some info, and for maybe overlooking some. I'm a woman on an information mission!]

You said: "they are both famous because of the situation in this puzzle ... providing one particular circumstance was present. The conversation would be MUCH less likely to happen these days, sadly."

Are you thinking of the kind of issues we might find in ordinary newspapers, or in feature columns; or in health magazines or science magazines? In Ann Landers columns? [Is that old vampire still alive, even?]

Should I focus on the particular circumstance to get the rest of the clues? Or should I focus on the people to get the circumstance?

Since I thought of Phil Dick, I can't help asking whether you are giving us a thought-puzzle (Gedankenexperiment is closer to what I mean); or did the circumstance have concrete results?

(If you google Philip K. Dick, you'll easily find all his books and film adaptations thereof (Blade Runner, frex). The Man in the High Castle is an important work, but it's nowhere NEAR his most FUN book. Unless you like alternate histories. It's about what would happen to the U.S. if Germany and Japan had won WW2.)

Do you find anything humorous in this situation?
Or ironic?
Or tragic?
Or "maybe, one day, humanity will learn..."?

Okay, more questions about the author.
Is the author a native of the U.S.?

Does the author make his living as a writer?
If so, is he notable for
novels?
plays?
nonfiction?
translations?
poetry?
journalism?

Is he an internationally known writer?

(If this has anything to do with Ann Frank, I'm going to push my cheezburgur into my computer screen so that it makes a mess all over yours.)

I'm really enjoying this.
And my 2 kittehs are, too.

Fiona in sweltering Miami

Post Number: 3962
Posted on Wednesday, July 13, 2011 - 7:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Kaylee kitteh, I chomp on my cheezburgur! o good, kaylee kitteh sayz is welcome!

[I'll ask forgiveness right now for repeating some info, and for maybe overlooking some. I'm a woman on an information mission!]no need to be sorry! someone has to do it!

You said: "they are were, anyway both famous because of the situation in this puzzle ... providing one particular circumstance was present. The conversation would be MUCH less likely to happen these days, sadly." I had to scroll up to see what you partially quoted, lol, so I could make sense of this question. *absent-minded kitteh*

Are you thinking of the kind of issues we might find in ordinary newspapers, hmm, the 'it' that needs to be figured out (what she asked about) has been in the news quite a lot, though I don't think it has been recently or in feature columns; maybe? or in health magazines or science magazines? not these, not a health/science issue In Ann Landers columns? she may have done something on this, I'm almost positive Dear Abby would have [Is that old vampire still alive, even? I have no clue ]

Should I focus on the particular circumstance to get the rest of the clues? Or should I focus on the people to get the circumstance? either would work, but you might be more likely to get the clues by finding the circumstance, first

Since I thought of Phil Dick, I can't help asking whether you are giving us a thought-puzzle (Gedankenexperiment is closer to what I mean you use words I do not know =P ); or did the circumstance have concrete results? buh?what?

(If you google Philip K. Dick, you'll easily find all his books and film adaptations thereof (Blade Runner, frex). The Man in the High Castle is an important work, but it's nowhere NEAR his most FUN book. Unless you like alternate histories. It's about what would happen to the U.S. if Germany and Japan had won WW2.I like alternate histories! )

Do you find anything humorous in this situation?no
Or ironic? hmm, a little?
Or tragic? sort of
Or "maybe, one day, humanity will learn..."? possibly

Okay, more questions about the author.
Is the author a native of the U.S.? NO! But he was a naturalized citizen, and the book is most certainly about an American issue. He did live here with his daughter when it was written.

Does Did the author make his living as a writer? among other things
If so, is was he notable for
novels? yes
plays? film scripts, anyway
nonfiction?
translations?
poetry?
journalism?

Is he an internationally known writer? perhaps so, it is unclear

(If this has anything to do with Ann Frank, I'm going to push my cheezburgur into my computer screen so that it makes a mess all over yours. it has nothing at all to do with Anne Frank, please do not punish the poor cheezburgur )

I'm really enjoying this. good!
And my 2 kittehs are, too. then they can haz cheezburgur too

Fiona in sweltering Miami Kaylee in not-so-sweltering-but-still-warm San Jose

Post Number: 149
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2011 - 6:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi again, Mystery Girl:

A brief recap, doubtless with important elements missing:

*Father and daughter
*Focusing on what daughter asked
*They were famous because of the situation
*Father, at least, is in the past (passed away?)
*The conversation would be "MUCH less likely to happen these days, sadly."
*The issue has been in the news quite a lot
* "almost positive Dear Abby would have"
* "you might be more likely to get the clues by finding the circumstance, first"

I'm going to work on these, and send a second message for the fun cheezyburg stuff...

I know Albert Einstein was naturalized and had a daughter, but he doesn't feel right for this puzzle. And Isaac Asimov... and Billy Wilder...

Was the father
from Europe?
from South America?
from Russia?
from Asia?
from Africa?

Did he have a day job apart from writing?

Was daughter born in the US?
Is English her first language?
Did she get schooling from
grade school?
high school?
college?
post-grad?

Would you say that Father or Daughter is more famous?
Are people on the street likely to quote either one of them? Likely to have heard of them?

You said, not a science or health issue. Does the issue involve:
the performing arts?
athletics?
politics?
justice / the legal system / criminal law?
education?
inventions?
infrastructure such as transportation, civil engineering, construction?
philosophy?
war?
marriage or sex issues?

Did Father publish in more than one language (including translations)?

Why was "it never explained to her"? She was considered too young? Was it considered to be in poor taste in polite conversation? Her parents neglected her?

How old was she when it was never explained? and how old was she when it was 20, 30 years later?

I've just been stricken with horror:

Surely this did not have to do with drowning kittens at birth, or putting a race-horse with a broken leg down, or building condos in the wolves' stomping-grounds, or anything awful like that? I'd almost prefer it to be crimes against humanity.

Yep, that's your animals-loving Fiona

Post Number: 150
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2011 - 6:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kaylee kitteh, goddess of dispensing cheezburgurs!

[This is mostly chat, so PLEASE tell me whether I should move it to the Chatroom; and then tell me whether I'll be able to find you again.]

It occurred to me just now that I might ask, in your puzzle, about weather. Natural disasters relevant? Bountiful crops relevant? Food engineering?

"lol,... *absent-minded kitteh*"

Nuh-unh! Because you have a great puzzle goin' on here.

Fiona wrote: "Since I thought of Phil Dick, I can't help asking whether you are giving us a thought-puzzle (Gedankenexperiment is closer to what I mean); or did the circumstance have concrete results?"

I'm so sorry! I was being thoughtless, not arrogant! "Gedankenexperiment" is German for "thought experiment" - I differentiated only because lateral / situation / thought puzzles *seem* so close in meaning.

The classic, or most famous, Gedankenexperiment is Schroedinger's cat in its hellish box. Not even the hardiest of lateral puzzlers would attempt to use THAT example as a puzzle for these boards. That's why I differentiated. Schroedinger's Cat is famous precisely because it can't have concrete results unless you open the box.

I went on to say:
(If you google Philip K. Dick, you'll easily find all his books and film adaptations thereof (Blade Runner, frex). The Man in the High Castle is an important work, but it's nowhere NEAR his most FUN book. Unless you like alternate histories. It's about what would happen to the U.S. if Germany and Japan had won WW2. I like alternate histories!

I'm glad you do - and Phil Dick wrote not only alternate histories, but also alternate dimensions and universes. Check his name at the IMDb or Wikipedia - he was the brilliant brain behind lots of movies, some of them less-than-brilliant, but I generally enjoy them...

... and his writing is unique to the point that the adjective phildickian is perfectly acceptable today, describing fictional worlds in which (from the sublime to the ridiculous) the laws of physics might so utterly change that, say, you discover the building you've been working at for the past year was actually torn down 30 years ago - or people might be robots and not know they're robots - or your front door will demand that you deposit a nickel before it allows you to step outside.

Brilliant. Disturbing. But PKD is always human and very funny.

I asked, "Is he an internationally known writer?" and you answered, "perhaps so, it is unclear."

Now Kaylee. You're talking to a librarian. Well, a recently ex-librarian. Is it unclear because the family used pseudonyms? Or is it because you got the story by word-of-mouth and haven't yet fully researched it?

Or is it because my cat Boris (I always KNEW he'd turn out to be a Soviet agitator!) has sneaked into your home and, because he's fun and gorgeous, has distracted you from research?

Boris is totally black and is a huge fan (okay, I'm the huge fan) of Stevecash83, who on YouTube has a series of short, hilarious videos. Yeah yeah, everyone knows someone who posts vids of their cats. This is DIFFERENT. So different, that I'm going to pay him for an interview. (I've done great interviews.)

Good lord, Kaylee, what have you done to deserve a download about Fiona and her activities? I'll stop right now. Stopping now. Stopping.

I'll just add that the rest of your message has my sides hurting. I'm good at laughing. I'm too good at laughing till I hurt.

Fiona for now...

(If this has anything to do with Ann Frank, I'm going to push my cheezburgur into my computer screen so that it makes a mess all over yours. it has nothing at all to do with Anne Frank, please do not punish the poor cheezburgur )

Post Number: 3969
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2011 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi again, Mystery Girl:

A brief recap, doubtless with important elements missing:

*Father and daughter
*Focusing on what daughter asked
*They were famous because of the situation
*Father, at least, is in the past (passed away?)
*The conversation would be "MUCH less likely to happen these days, sadly."
*The issue has been in the news quite a lot
* "almost positive Dear Abby would have"
* "you might be more likely to get the clues by finding the circumstance, first"

I'm going to work on these, and send a second message for the fun cheezyburg stuff...

I know Albert Einstein was naturalized and had a daughter, but he doesn't feel right for this puzzle. And Isaac Asimov... and Billy Wilder... Really? You taught me new things about them, but it's not them. =)

Was the father
from Europe? He died in Europe. He's considered British, but wasn't born in the UK, because...
from South America?
from Russia?
from Asia?
from Africa?
...You left out the right continent (and no, Russia's not a continent, despite being bigger than it). Continent haz a sad.
Did he have a day job apart from writing? I think writing was his main day job.

Was daughter born in the US? I don't think so...her Wikipedia article, short as it is, calls her 'English'. Whether this is because of her birth or her father's nationality, I could not say.
Is English her first language? Presumably.
Did she get schooling from
grade school? At least this, which IS relevant, VERY relevant
high school?
college?
post-grad? All the rest irrelevant (because I don't know)

Would you say that Father or Daughter is more famous? Depends on who you ask - I'd never heard of either of them before running into this story and movie
Are people on the street likely to quote either one of them? Maybe. Likely to have heard of them? Maybe. Certain people MIGHT be slightly more likely to have heard of her, or at least the OTHER film she's noted for acting in.

You said, not a science or health issue. Does the issue involve:
the performing arts?
athletics?
politics? Vaguely...
justice / the legal system / criminal law?
education? YES, in that it cropped up because of an (antiquated? =( ) school tradition. And the story takes place in a classroom.
inventions?
infrastructure such as transportation, civil engineering, construction?
philosophy? ...Possibly? I'm not sure.
war? Well, the story is set after a war.
marriage or sex issues? No to rest.

Did Father publish in more than one language (including translations)? He might have done, I don't know. But most of his stories were set in non-English places.

Why was "it never explained to her"? She was considered too young? Was it considered to be in poor taste in polite conversation? Her parents neglected her? No to all.

How old was she when it was never explained? 6 and how old was she when it was 20, 30 years later? 26 and 56, I expect

I've just been stricken with horror:

Surely this did not have to do with drowning kittens at birth, or putting a race-horse with a broken leg down, or building condos in the wolves' stomping-grounds, or anything awful like that? I'd almost prefer it to be crimes against humanity. *GASP* Kaylee kitteh would NEVUR drown kittehz! Or other animulz! Noez, such cute animulz is NEVUR hurted in making of kaylee kitteh puzzel! *sob*

Yep, that's your animals-loving Fiona And kaylee kitteh!

Post Number: 3970
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2011 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kaylee kitteh, goddess of dispensing cheezburgurs!
especially wunz withowt onionz! unless fiona kitteh likes dem!
[This is mostly chat, so PLEASE tell me whether I should move it to the Chatroom; and then tell me whether I'll be able to find you again.]

It occurred to me just now that I might ask, in your puzzle, about weather. Natural disasters relevant? Bountiful crops relevant? Food engineering? no to all

"lol,... *absent-minded kitteh*"

Nuh-unh! Because you have a great puzzle goin' on here.

Fiona wrote: "Since I thought of Phil Dick, I can't help asking whether you are giving us a thought-puzzle (Gedankenexperiment is closer to what I mean); or did the circumstance have concrete results?"

I'm so sorry! I was being thoughtless, not arrogant! "Gedankenexperiment" is German for "thought experiment" - I differentiated only because lateral / situation / thought puzzles *seem* so close in meaning. oh I see!

The classic, or most famous, Gedankenexperiment is Schroedinger's cat in its hellish box. Not even the hardiest of lateral puzzlers would attempt to use THAT example as a puzzle for these boards. That's why I differentiated. Schroedinger's Cat is famous precisely because it can't have concrete results unless you open the box. teh poor kitteh should just haz cheezburgur! *sob* I'm still not entirely sure about the definition of this puzzle. *is not good kitteh at teh explaining*

I went on to say:
(If you google Philip K. Dick, you'll easily find all his books and film adaptations thereof (Blade Runner, frex). The Man in the High Castle is an important work, but it's nowhere NEAR his most FUN book. Unless you like alternate histories. It's about what would happen to the U.S. if Germany and Japan had won WW2. I like alternate histories!

I'm glad you do - and Phil Dick wrote not only alternate histories, but also alternate dimensions and universes. Check his name at the IMDb or Wikipedia - he was the brilliant brain behind lots of movies, some of them less-than-brilliant, but I generally enjoy them...

... and his writing is unique to the point that the adjective phildickian is perfectly acceptable today, describing fictional worlds in which (from the sublime to the ridiculous) the laws of physics might so utterly change that, say, you discover the building you've been working at for the past year was actually torn down 30 years ago - or people might be robots and not know they're robots - or your front door will demand that you deposit a nickel before it allows you to step outside.

Brilliant. Disturbing. But PKD is always human and very funny. he should writez one where it rainz cheezburgur then! and all teh kittehz gets dem! =D *puts him on reading list*

I asked, "Is he an internationally known writer?" and you answered, "perhaps so, it is unclear."

Now Kaylee. You're talking to a librarian. Well, a recently ex-librarian. Is it unclear because the family used pseudonyms? Or is it because you got the story by word-of-mouth and haven't yet fully researched it? It's unclear because I don't personally know anyone that I KNOW knows who he is. You might know who he is. In fact, as a librarian, you probably DO know he is. But I won't know if you know, until you solve my puzzle. You know? =P

Or is it because my cat Boris (I always KNEW he'd turn out to be a Soviet agitator!) has sneaked into your home and, because he's fun and gorgeous, has distracted you from research? Kaylee kitteh getz distracted enuf by penguinz. And cheezburgur...

Boris is totally black and is a huge fan (okay, I'm the huge fan) of Stevecash83, who on YouTube has a series of short, hilarious videos. Yeah yeah, everyone knows someone who posts vids of their cats. This is DIFFERENT. So different, that I'm going to pay him for an interview. (I've done great interviews.)

Good lord, Kaylee, what have you done to deserve a download about Fiona and her activities? I'll stop right now. Stopping now. Stopping.

I'll just add that the rest of your message has my sides hurting. I'm good at laughing. I'm too good at laughing till I hurt.

Fiona for now...

Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 1251
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2011 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is the continent Australasia? North America?

is the father Neville Shute?

Post Number: 3973
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2011 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is the continent Australasia? Yes, and in fact the country is Australia, to save a potential LTPF list, lol. North America? So no

is the father Neville Shute? He is not, but bonus points for giving me another name to look up. I love learning new things; lateral puzzles are great for that =)
Doriana (Doriana)
Username: Doriana

Post Number: 1647
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2011 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So, a school tradition is relevant? Is it a tradition of a specific school? Or something more general?
School uniforms? first day of school relevant? some form of punishment? detention? suspension? corporal punishment? writing lines?

Post Number: 3975
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2011 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So, a school tradition is relevant? Yes Is it a tradition of a specific school? No, but... Or something more general? It was (I think) more likely to be found only in elementary schools, and definitely exclusive to American schools (though other countries' schools may have a similar thing, I do not know)
School uniforms? No first day of school relevant? Only that this is first learned then, and continues daily. Or was, I should say. No to rest. some form of punishment? detention? suspension? corporal punishment? (side note: my grandfather does bemoan the removal of this from schools, though a few states still have it, but it's irrelevant to this puzzle) writing lines?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 1648
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2011 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Apparently I don't know much about American elementary schools. Is it something that is done once a day? raising the flag relevant? singing the national anthem? anything to do with honouring your country at all? Is it done several times a day?

When you were frightened by the idea, were you a child? teenager? young adult?

Post Number: 3976
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2011 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Apparently I don't know much about American elementary schools.do not worry, you've nearly cracked the puzzle wide open!!!!! Is it something that is done once a day? yes! Or it was, up until recently raising the flag relevant? YES, though that's not quite it, it's VERY OTRT!! singing the national anthem? Not exactly, but... anything to do with honouring your country at all? YES!! Is it done several times a day? No, just once...for Kaylee kitteh, it was first thing in the morning, out on the playground. In the story, they did it right after roll call.

When you were frightened by the idea, were you a child? teenager? young adult? this - it happened shortly before I posted the puzzle. I'm 26. Stop calling me old on IM, mai doriana kitteh =P
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 1254
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2011 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

the pledge of allegiance?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 1650
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2011 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Pledge of allegiance relevant?
Is a flag involved? flagpole? does it usually happen outside? pranks relevant? e.g. replacing the flag with something else before it's raised?

In Germany, raising flags is much less common than in the US or other European countries, probably for obvious reasons. But during soccer world cups, you see them everywhere.

Post Number: 3977
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2011 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

the pledge of allegiance? YES!!!!!!!!! Well done Shez!!!

So: RECAP: She came home from school one day, asking her father what the Pledge of Allegiance meant, as it was never explained to her.

Inspired by this, he wrote a short story about what could happen if America was conquered, and if American children didn't get the Pledge of Allegiance explained to them. Twenty years later, it was published. Then, the year after the book was published, she appeared in a short TV film of the story.

Thirty years after the book was published, I saw the film on YouTube, posted this puzzle, and then read the story, which I also found online. What's left?

The author's name and his daughter's. They both have Wikipedia articles, though hers is just a stub, making questions about her hard for me, lol.

Post Number: 3978
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2011 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Pledge of allegiance relevant? Yes, very (see recap)
Is a flag involved? yes, and it's crucial to the story flagpole? yes does it usually happen outside? in the story, it was inside, but this just depends on if there's a flag in the classroom or not. pranks relevant? e.g. replacing the flag with something else before it's raised? no, that was a different story, LOL! *grin*

In Germany, raising flags is much less common than in the US or other European countries, probably for obvious reasons. But during soccer world cups, you see them everywhere. Oh yes, I see =) I like the colors on the German flag. It shares them with Belgium, isn't that right? I think that's right...
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 1256
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2011 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Peter Carey?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 1651
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2011 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Okay, I asked googlepedia. Is the story "The Childrens' Story" by James Clavell? And the girl is Michaela Clavell?

Yep, our flag shares its colours with the Belgian one (:

Post Number: 3979
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2011 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Peter Carey? nope, another one for the list...

Okay, I asked googlepedia. Which is good, as resources are always permitted in kaylee kitteh puzzles, just like woubit puzzles, unless otherwise stated Is the story "The Childrens' Story" by James Clavell? And the girl is Michaela Clavell? It is indeed, and she is indeed!

***SPOILER***

The Children's Story by James Clavell This is the story. The film can be found on YouTube, and hardly anywhere else, apparently. (Which probably accounts for its longevity on YouTube, come to think of it)

Yep, our flag shares its colours with the Belgian one (: Kaylee kitteh likes flags =D and stripes =) and stripes on flags (though stars and stripes are best for kaylee kitteh's own flag =) )

Post Number: 169
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2011 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've never read James Cavell!

But from now on, I'm more than likely to remember it as "Teh Cheezburgur Story."

Sorry, Australia, bad girl gave a sad.

"*GASP* Kaylee kitteh would NEVUR drown kittehz! Or other animulz! Noez, such cute animulz is NEVUR hurted in making of kaylee kitteh puzzel! *sob*"

Iz good. Fiona kitteh and Kaylee kitteh be bff for all timez, and no onions, thanx!

Oh, I had to laugh when we exchanged:
"But PKD is always human and very funny." "he should writez one where it rainz cheezburgur then! and all teh kittehz gets dem!"

In Phil Dick's novel "Time Out of Joint," the world starts losing tangibility... to the point where the main character goes over to the hot dog stand - and it vanishes. A piece of paper flutters to the ground. He picks it up, and it reads: "Hot Dog Stand."

Teh kittehs wuld then have a bad sad!

This was a really good puzzle. Something that too many of us heathens had to bear for a minute or two every freakin' day. I do have a sense of the sublime, but I never ever EVER found the sublime in a grade school!

Thanks, all the rest of you, for putting up with teh kittehs. They're to blame, you know, for logorrhea!

Fiona

PS. You're in San Jose? Is that, like, near Sunnydale??
Vesica (Vesica)
Username: Vesica

Post Number: 1664
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2011 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Very interesting puzzle! Well done. :D

Post Number: 3982
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2011 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Fiona Kitteh: I've never read James Cavell! Iz Clavell, silly Fiona =D

But from now on, I'm more than likely to remember it as "Teh Cheezburgur Story." Bahaha!

Sorry, Australia, bad girl gave a sad. Ozland forgivz yuo.

"*GASP* Kaylee kitteh would NEVUR drown kittehz! Or other animulz! Noez, such cute animulz is NEVUR hurted in making of kaylee kitteh puzzel! *sob*"

Iz good. Fiona kitteh and Kaylee kitteh be bff for all timez, and no onions, thanx! YAY!!! O yez, and doriana kitteh and vesica kitteh tu, plzkthnx? and all kittehz! *love*

"But PKD is always human and very funny." "he should writez one where it rainz cheezburgur then! and all teh kittehz gets dem!"

In Phil Dick's novel "Time Out of Joint," the world starts losing tangibility... to the point where the main character goes over to the hot dog stand - and it vanishes. A piece of paper flutters to the ground. He picks it up, and it reads: "Hot Dog Stand."

Teh kittehs wuld then have a bad sad! o noez! but iz DOGZ so maybe iz nawt dat much sad foar kittehz?

This was a really good puzzle. Something that too many of us heathens had to bear for a minute or two every freakin' day. I do have a sense of the sublime, but I never ever EVER found the sublime in a grade school! Lessee if rememburz..."I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America; and to the Republic for which it stands, One Nation, Under God, Indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all." O yez, rememburz. Should be cheezburgurz foar all, tu...maybe would all getz along den...

Thanks, all the rest of you, for putting up with teh kittehs. They're to blame, you know, for logorrhea! and wut iz dat, lack of cheezburgur?! (iz medical student, rememburz
-rrhea iz bad, just forgetz wut iz...)

Fiona

PS. You're in San Jose? Is that, like, near Sunnydale?? Nooo, iz near SunnyVALE tho! =D For realz, iz tru!

Vesica kitteh:

Very interesting puzzle! Well done. :D o thanx! iz can haz cheezburgur! *givz big'n'tasty from TARDIS cheezburgur machine*

Post Number: 183
Posted on Sunday, July 17, 2011 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Fiona ignorantly typed: "I've never read James Cavell"

"Iz Clavell, silly Fiona =D"

Clavell is right, you iz right, Fiona is silly. However, Fiona can probably beat you in a game of Scrabble, so let's wait until we have a sleep-over (and I want to sleep comfortably with available kittehs, and I want waffles for breakfast), so you shuld be respectful, young lady-eh! - But don't worry. I'll pay.

But from now on, I'm more than likely to remember it as "Teh Cheezburgur Story."

Bahaha!

Sorry, Australia, bad girl gave a sad. Ozland forgivz yuo.

They'd better. I can wreak all kinds of <yawn> what was I saying? I'm sleepy girl still.

I will appoint you to be the High Supreme Fiona Explainer to Ozland. Where would you like to establish your palace?

<"*GASP* Kaylee kitteh would NEVUR drown kittehz! Or other animulz! Noez, such cute animulz is NEVUR hurted in making of kaylee kitteh puzzel! *sob*"

Iz good. Fiona kitteh and Kaylee kitteh be bff for all timez, and no onions, thanx! YAY!!! O yez, and doriana kitteh and vesica kitteh tu, plzkthnx? and all kittehz! *love*

Of course. We need a phalanx, don't we? And we won't settle for any but the best, bustiest, and brightest!

Teh kittehs wuld then have a bad sad!

o noez! but iz DOGZ so maybe iz nawt dat much sad foar kittehz?

Fiona gravely gives this decision to you. But if there are sausage-flavored ramifications, then YOU are our ambassador and Chief Decision Maker.

This was a really good puzzle. Something that too many of us heathens had to bear for a minute or two every freakin' day. I do have a sense of the sublime, but I never ever EVER found the sublime in a grade school! Lessee if rememburz..."I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America; and to the Republic for which it stands, One Nation, Under God, Indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all." O yez, rememburz. Should be cheezburgurz foar all, tu...maybe would all getz along den...

Your logic is impeccable. All we need, now, is for a line-up of kitty/doggie lovers to cook the cheezburgurs JUST right! (And if they fail, we feed them to the dogs and cats.)

Thanks, all the rest of you, for putting up with teh kittehs. They're to blame, you know, for logorrhea!

and wut iz dat, lack of cheezburgur?! (iz medical student, rememburz -rrhea iz bad, just forgetz wut iz...)

"logo" = word and "-rrhea" = too much.

You and I HAVE to be bffs. You for the lively ideas and me for the spelling. (Oof, Fiona, that's rude!) Sorry, I've been a professional editor for too many years)
Fiona

PS. You're in San Jose? Is that, like, near Sunnydale??

Nooo, iz near SunnyVALE tho! =D For realz, iz tru!

Vesica kitteh:

Very interesting puzzle! Well done. :D o thanx! iz can haz cheezburgur! *givz big'n'tasty from TARDIS cheezburgur machine*

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: