[Doriana] needs a time machine Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - August 2011 » [Doriana] needs a time machine « Previous Next »

Doriana (Doriana)
Username: Doriana

Post Number: 1652
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2011 - 12:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't want them to die, but it'd be interesting to see what they die from.
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 3980
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2011 - 12:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I = you, doriana kitteh?
them = they? them/they = H/A/Ms? H/A/Fs? Mixed? Relevant?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 1656
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2011 - 7:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I = you, doriana kitteh? yes
them = they? yes them/they = H/A/Ms? yes H/A/Fs? Mixed? Relevant? yes

Post Number: 3981
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2011 - 8:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

good luck with exams, doriana kitteh! <3

them = real? fictional?

is this puzzle a true story? FYOI? FSEI? (to be clearer on the FSEI...maybe someone made a book you're reading/film you're watching, and some H/A/Ms look like they're going to die, only you don't want them to, but you have a morbid fascination in seeing how they die?)
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 1657
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2011 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

them = real? this fictional?

is this puzzle a true story? FYOI? FSEI? (to be clearer on the FSEI...maybe someone made a book you're reading/film you're watching, and some H/A/Ms look like they're going to die, only you don't want them to, but you have a morbid fascination in seeing how they die?) It's a bit complicated, my dearest Kaylee kitteh. The puzzle statement is a true story, because that's what I was thinking. However, there's a bit of imagination involved, both mine and someone else's. Explore.
Yatin509 (Yatin509)
Username: Yatin509

Post Number: 99
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2011 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are they are many illnesses?

There are many possibilities through which they could die?

They old?
Fionakelleghan (Fionakelleghan)
Username: Fionakelleghan

Post Number: 174
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2011 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Doriana, please tell us that the stress of exams has not driven you ... Well, let's leave that there, shall we?

Please tell us how many "they" and "them" are.
1-10?
11-20?
and so on
300-399?
and so on

Will they die voluntarily?

Will they die because you were in charge of them, and it'd be interesting?

Are you, Doriana, at your present age? Remembering a younger age?

Do you have the option to stop them from dying?

Do you just idly have this feeling that you don't want them to die? Or would you work your butt off to save them?

Off the wall question here: Are you, by any chance, taking your story from science fiction writer Rob Sawyer, whose first novel opens the first chapter with "I loved that they trusted me blindly" and ends that chapter with, "It would have been an interesting death to watch."

Will the postulated deaths occur from:
Heat?
Cold?
Starvation?
Overeating?
Too many guns?
Not enough guns?
Bacteria?
Living in a foreign city or country where not enough is known about the rituals?
Are they testing trial drugs?

Oh, lord. Are they animals??

If there's nothing pharmaceutical involved, this isn't some sort of Michael Bay "Kill everyone until the last man is standing!" movie, is it?

You say it's a true story, so there goes my idea about the red shirts in Star Trek out the window.

Great puzzle!

Fiona, still sleepless after near 40 hours, but determined to keep puzzling...

Hasta luego, amiga..
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 1659
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2011 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are they are many illnesses? illnesses are relevant

There are many possibilities through which they could die? yes

They old? They're in their late 40s/early 50s

Doriana, please tell us that the stress of exams has not driven you ... Well, let's leave that there, shall we? no... my head is about to explode, but apart from that, I'm still... not more or less sane than usual

Please tell us how many "they" and "them" are.
1-10? 4
11-20?
and so on
300-399?
and so on

Will they die voluntarily? maybe

Will they die because you were in charge of them, and it'd be interesting? no

Are you, Doriana, at your present age? yes Remembering a younger age?

Do you have the option to stop them from dying? no

Do you just idly have this feeling that you don't want them to die? this Or would you work your butt off to save them? no, and it's not possible for me to save them

Off the wall question here: Are you, by any chance, taking your story from science fiction writer Rob Sawyer, whose first novel opens the first chapter with "I loved that they trusted me blindly" and ends that chapter with, "It would have been an interesting death to watch." good idea! But unfortunately that's a no

Will the postulated deaths occur from:
Heat?
Cold?
Starvation?
Overeating?
Too many guns?
Not enough guns?
Bacteria?
Living in a foreign city or country where not enough is known about the rituals?
Are they testing trial drugs?
no to all

Oh, lord. Are they animals?? no, they're humans

If there's nothing pharmaceutical involved, this isn't some sort of Michael Bay "Kill everyone until the last man is standing!" movie, is it? it's not

You say it's a true story, so there goes my idea about the red shirts in Star Trek out the window.

Great puzzle! thanks - great questions! (:

Fiona, still sleepless after near 40 hours, but determined to keep puzzling... Huh! You should go to bed! I had a very short night with lots of nightmares about my upcoming exam (the usual stuff - oversleeping, missing the train, not knowing any of the answers) and I wish I could go back to bed

Hasta luego, amiga..
Shez (Shez)
Username: Shez

Post Number: 1259
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2011 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is this a real life situation being shown on TV?

are there two likely ways they will die? more than two? is death inevitable?

have they already died in real life and you are waiting to see how their story pans out?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 1660
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2011 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is this a real life situation being shown on TV? no

are there two likely ways they will die? more than two? more than two is death inevitable? isn't it always? please specify (:

have they already died in real life and you are waiting to see how their story pans out? no
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 1679
Posted on Monday, July 18, 2011 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HINT: Find out more about "them".
Sundowner (Sundowner)
Username: Sundowner

Post Number: 843
Posted on Monday, July 18, 2011 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are these four men famous? Do you expect them to become famous some day?
Do you expect them to have a very long life? (so you would need a time machine to outlive them?)
Are these four men doing something together? or will do something together? do they know each other?
Relevant that there is no woman among them?
Is their profession relevant? do they work in: politics? science? art? entertainment? education? private business?
Are they astronauts? (or will become?)
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 1683
Posted on Monday, July 18, 2011 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are these four men famous? yes. Non incredibly famous, but pretty known Do you expect them to become famous some day? so, no
Do you expect them to have a very long life? no, I'd say average (so you would need a time machine to outlive them?)
Are these four men doing something together? no, but... or will do something together? no, but... do they know each other? yep
Relevant that there is no woman among them? there's no woman in their particular group, but if there was one, the puzzle would still work
Is their profession relevant? yes do they work in: politics? science? art? entertainment? this education? private business?
Are they astronauts? (or will become?) no
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 1281
Posted on Monday, July 18, 2011 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is it inevitable that they will die in the situation they are in?

are they in an unusual situation? location? predicament?

will their deaths possibly occur from suffocation? poisoning? radiation? loss of blood? starvation? dehydration?

are there more than 2 different possible causes of death? disease?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 1688
Posted on Monday, July 18, 2011 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is it inevitable that they will die in the situation they are in? no

are they in an unusual situation? location? predicament? no to all

will their deaths possibly occur from suffocation? poisoning? radiation? loss of blood? starvation? dehydration? nobody can tell

are there more than 2 different possible causes of death? disease? all causes of death are possible, but a disease is relevant
Vesica (Vesica)
Username: Vesica

Post Number: 1675
Posted on Monday, July 18, 2011 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Digging deeper into entertainment:
Movies?
TV?
Singing?
Comedy performances?

Random guess: The Rat Pack?

Are all four still alive today?

Relevant what era they were most famous in?
Nowish?
90s?
80s?
70s?
60s?

To clarify: A single disease is relevant to all of them?

Would you be watching to see if they die of:
Lung cancer?
Liver failure?
Skin cancer?

Would you be expecting certain causes of death based on behaviors they were famous for?
Behaviors they are known to have engaged in?
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 1294
Posted on Monday, July 18, 2011 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

are they all in a band?

is what they do inherently dangerous? it's not the Jackass guys is it?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 1690
Posted on Tuesday, July 19, 2011 - 12:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Digging deeper into entertainment:
Movies?
TV?
Singing? this
Comedy performances?

Random guess: The Rat Pack? no

Are all four still alive today? yes

Relevant what era they were most famous in? might help you find out who they are
Nowish?
90s?
80s? this
70s?
60s?

To clarify: A single disease is relevant to all of them? yope

Would you be watching to see if they die of:
Lung cancer? this
Liver failure?
Skin cancer? this
but explore

Would you be expecting certain causes of death based on behaviors they were famous for? no
Behaviors they are known to have engaged in? no

are they all in a band? YES!

is what they do inherently dangerous? no it's not the Jackass guys is it? no, but a good guess
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 1296
Posted on Tuesday, July 19, 2011 - 8:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

in their act are they being exposed to hazardous chemicals? smoke? radiation?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 1692
Posted on Tuesday, July 19, 2011 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

in their act are they being exposed to hazardous chemicals? smoke? radiation? no to all - keep in mind that I think they have an average life expectancy
Enjay (Enjay)
Username: Enjay

Post Number: 1349
Posted on Tuesday, July 19, 2011 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is a particular song of the band relevant? Are they still performing? Relevant?

Do you have genuine reason to believe they might die of skin or lung cancer? Would it be in any way ironic or fitting if they did? Do any of them already have one of these diseases? Is smoking relevant? Tanning? Sunbeds?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 1697
Posted on Wednesday, July 20, 2011 - 8:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is a particular song of the band relevant? YES! Are they still performing? no - little HINT: One of them started a solo career and is still performing. Relevant? no

Do you have genuine reason to believe they might die of skin or lung cancer? It's not only skin or lung cancer, and I do have a reason to believe it, although not really a 'genuine' one Would it be in any way ironic or fitting if they did? yesish - explore Do any of them already have one of these diseases? Is smoking relevant? Tanning? Sunbeds? no to rest
Very good q's!
Noel (Noel)
Username: Noel

Post Number: 2729
Posted on Wednesday, July 20, 2011 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kind of band/music: 80s hair band? Heavy metal? Hard rock? Soft rock? Rap? Country? Punk? 80s alternative? Techno?

Are they especially known for playing ballads? stadium music (e.g. "We will rock you" or "another one bites the dust")? love songs? dance music?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 1700
Posted on Wednesday, July 20, 2011 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kind of band/music: 80s hair band? Heavy metal? Hard rock? Soft rock? Rap? Country? Punk? 80s alternative? this Techno?

Are they especially known for playing ballads? stadium music (e.g. "We will rock you" or "another one bites the dust")? love songs? dance music? none of these, actually - I don't think letting you guess the band would make much sense, so I'll give them away as a HINT:
The Smiths
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 2730
Posted on Wednesday, July 20, 2011 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is google allowed on this one? I know who the Smiths are, and I recognize a lot of their songs when I hear them, but for some reason I always come up blank when trying to remember what songs they sing

And thank you for giving us the band name. It could have taken FOREVER to guess who it was
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 1702
Posted on Wednesday, July 20, 2011 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Google is allowed, but it won't help you much now - find out what exactly is relevant about the relevant song
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 2731
Posted on Thursday, July 21, 2011 - 3:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do the song's lyrics talks about ways to die? About cancer? About their own predictions for their deaths? About the things they'd hate to die of?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 1703
Posted on Thursday, July 21, 2011 - 6:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do the song's lyrics talks about ways to die? yes About cancer? no, but... About their own predictions for their deaths? no, but... About the things they'd hate to die of? no
very good q's, explore!
Gregoryuconn (Gregoryuconn)
Username: Gregoryuconn

Post Number: 1457
Posted on Thursday, July 21, 2011 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did they smoke? Relevant? Is smoking relevant even if they didn't smoke? If so, [LTPF List of things you can smoke]? Did the song's lyrics talk of smoking? Dying from smoking? Or was it pro-smoking? As in "smoke and be cool"? The "Too Cool to Smoke" pencils relevant? As in, the ones that when sharpened, read "Cool to Smoke" and eventually just "Smoke"?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 1706
Posted on Thursday, July 21, 2011 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did they smoke? I dunno Relevant? no Is smoking relevant even if they didn't smoke? no If so, [LTPF List of things you can smoke]? Did the song's lyrics talk of smoking? no Dying from smoking? no Or was it pro-smoking? no As in "smoke and be cool"? no The "Too Cool to Smoke" pencils relevant? no As in, the ones that when sharpened, read "Cool to Smoke" and eventually just "Smoke"? no
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 1316
Posted on Thursday, July 21, 2011 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

was the relevant song released as a single?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 1708
Posted on Thursday, July 21, 2011 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

was the relevant song released as a single? yes, but after they had split up
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 1320
Posted on Thursday, July 21, 2011 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

now that would be a real clue to someone who knew anything about the Smiths!
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 1709
Posted on Thursday, July 21, 2011 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I could give the song title away but I won't. There's still an important piece missing, and once you have found it, you won't need the exact song any more. Consider this a HINT.
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 2732
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2011 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were they singing about ways some specific other person/people had died in the past?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 1713
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2011 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were they singing about ways some specific other person/people had died in the past? no, but... And there might be an FA
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 1731
Posted on Sunday, July 24, 2011 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's a RECAP:

"They" are the Smiths, a British rock band from the 1980s.
They probably have an average life expectancy and so far, I can't see a cause of dead that they are highly likely to die from. However, it would be yesishly ironic or fitting if they died from cancer.
There is a relevant song that talks about ways to die, but not about cancer. Find out in what way this song is relevant.
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 2739
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2011 - 4:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the relevant part of the song something that talks about non-cancer ways to die? Or something else?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 1735
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2011 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the relevant part of the song something that talks about non-cancer ways to die? yes with a slight ish Or something else? no
Enjay (Enjay)
Username: Enjay

Post Number: 1354
Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2011 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does it mention death? Disease? Of the singer? Of someone else? Would it be ironic/fitting because they had in some way predicted it? Predicted that they wouldn't die of cancer?

Is it only the lyrics of the song that are relevant?

Are any things that cause cancer relevant?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 1738
Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2011 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does it mention death? yes Disease? no Of the singer? possibly Of someone else? yes Would it be ironic/fitting because they had in some way predicted it? yope Predicted that they wouldn't die of cancer? noish

Is it only the lyrics of the song that are relevant? yope

Are any things that cause cancer relevant? no
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 1744
Posted on Monday, August 01, 2011 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HINT: I answered yope to "Is it only the lyrics of the song that are relevant". The lyrics are relevant, but nothing else about the song is. However, the lyrics themselves are not about cancer. So, try to find out how they are relevant and why I couldn't answer with yes. If need be, I can quote the relevant lyrics, but I don't think that's actually helpful.
Lynne (Lynne)
Username: Lynne

Post Number: 5035
Posted on Tuesday, August 02, 2011 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do they sing of being untouchable, invincible etc? Despite also singing of a life-threatening style of living?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 1748
Posted on Tuesday, August 02, 2011 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do they sing of being untouchable, invincible etc? no Despite also singing of a life-threatening style of living? They don't sing of a life-threatening style of living
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 1749
Posted on Tuesday, August 02, 2011 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do they sing of being untouchable, invincible etc? no Despite also singing of a life-threatening style of living? They don't sing of a life-threatening style of living
Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 14053
Posted on Tuesday, August 02, 2011 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are cancer symptoms relevant? Is chemotherapy?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 1750
Posted on Tuesday, August 02, 2011 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are cancer symptoms relevant? Is chemotherapy? no to both
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 1751
Posted on Tuesday, August 02, 2011 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Okay, here are the relevant lines (so you can say that they have nothing to do with cancer at all (;...)

And if a double decker bus
crashes into us -
to die by your side
is such a heavenly way to die

So - where did I get that cancer idea from?

Post Number: 4135
Posted on Tuesday, August 02, 2011 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

sry doriana kitteh, I iz nawt knoez...bus driver iz nawt haz enuf Kaseburgur?

is there some metaphor or euphemism in German concerning cancer that has a bus crash in it?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 1752
Posted on Tuesday, August 02, 2011 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

sry doriana kitteh, I iz nawt knoez...bus driver iz nawt haz enuf Kaseburgur? problee!

is there some metaphor or euphemism in German concerning cancer that has a bus crash in it? very good idea, but it's a no
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 2747
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2011 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it relevant who the "your" refers to in the lyrics?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 1753
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2011 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it relevant who the "your" refers to in the lyrics? no
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 14093
Posted on Thursday, August 04, 2011 - 12:37 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the "to die by your side" bit relevant? The "heavenly way to die"?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 1754
Posted on Thursday, August 04, 2011 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the "to die by your side" bit relevant? The "heavenly way to die"? both are relevant
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 14107
Posted on Thursday, August 04, 2011 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is a German translation of the lyrics relevant?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 1756
Posted on Thursday, August 04, 2011 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is a German translation of the lyrics relevant? no, but this is VERY OTRT!! great q!
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 1518
Posted on Thursday, August 11, 2011 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

do any of the words you quote have a double meaning in German?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 1795
Posted on Thursday, August 11, 2011 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

do any of the words you quote have a double meaning in German? no - you're getting off the right track again
Redwine (Redwine)
Username: Redwine

Post Number: 968
Posted on Friday, August 12, 2011 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is zodiac relevant? Is it important, that the lyrics talk about quick death, while dying from cancer is long and painful?
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 1528
Posted on Friday, August 12, 2011 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

do the English words sound like something else in German?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 1816
Posted on Friday, August 12, 2011 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is zodiac relevant? do you mean as in zodiac signs? no Is it important, that the lyrics talk about quick death, while dying from cancer is long and painful? no

do the English words sound like something else in German? no
Galfisk (Galfisk)
Username: Galfisk

Post Number: 4119
Posted on Wednesday, August 17, 2011 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is any translation of the lyrics relevant? A mondegreen? any languages besides English and German relevant?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 1845
Posted on Wednesday, August 17, 2011 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is any translation of the lyrics relevant? yes A mondegreen? no any languages besides English and German relevant? yes, explore
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 1846
Posted on Wednesday, August 17, 2011 - 9:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is any translation of the lyrics relevant? yes A mondegreen? no any languages besides English and German relevant? yes, explore
Galfisk (Galfisk)
Username: Galfisk

Post Number: 4124
Posted on Wednesday, August 17, 2011 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

French? Another European language? Is a mistranslation relevant?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 1847
Posted on Wednesday, August 17, 2011 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

French? yes Another European language? several Is a mistranslation relevant? yes, and I think we have enough for a

********SPOILER********
I was playing around with Bad Translator, a tool that translates a piece of text back and forth. I entered a quote from my favourite Smiths song, "There is a light that never goes out":
And if a double decker bus
crashes into us -
to die by your side
is such a heavenly way to die

What I got after 56 translations was
Two of them will die of cancer.
And now I'm curious if two of the band members actually die of cancer one day, but I don't want them to die yet.

Thanks for playing and for your patience, and congrats to Galfisk for his second solve in a row (:
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 14327
Posted on Wednesday, August 17, 2011 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Awesome puzzle!

I tried that (with random languages), and got "The lake fell to death after the death of coach." Yours is funnier.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: