{KayleeTonksLupin} O Captain, my Capt... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - August 2011 » {KayleeTonksLupin} O Captain, my Captain! « Previous Next »

Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 4008
Posted on Tuesday, July 19, 2011 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Poor Enjay and friends...
Doriana (Doriana)
Username: Doriana

Post Number: 1694
Posted on Tuesday, July 19, 2011 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Enjay = the LTPF member?
Devon relevant? England? tea? scones? cream? jam? sugar?

Post Number: 4009
Posted on Tuesday, July 19, 2011 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Enjay = the LTPF member? yes, don't know any other Enjay, lol! =D
Devon relevant? very England? yes, no to rest tea? scones? cream? jam? sugar?
Enjay (Enjay)
Username: Enjay

Post Number: 1348
Posted on Tuesday, July 19, 2011 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ooh :-)

Is something going to happen to Devon? In Devon? Is there something relevant about Devon that makes you say the puzzle statement? Are any Devon stereotypes relevant?

By 'Enjay and friends' do you mean generally people that live in Devon?

Unfortunately I'm leaving the country for a week tomorrow, so I might have to wait to find out why I'm so very unfortunate :P

Post Number: 4010
Posted on Tuesday, July 19, 2011 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ooh :-) :-)

Is something going to happen to Devon? Not 'going to' In Devon? Something did happen in Devon. Is there something relevant about Devon that makes you say the puzzle statement? Just that something happened there, which needs exploring. Are any Devon stereotypes relevant? Hmm, I don't know any Devon stereotypes (other than they get their cream teas wrong *mischievous grin*) but one might still possibly be relevant...

By 'Enjay and friends' do you mean generally people that live in Devon? Exactly and precisely so, lol

Unfortunately I'm leaving the country for a week tomorrow, so I might have to wait to find out why I'm so very unfortunate :P oh no :-( oh well, hopefully your holiday is not unfortunate. Have a good time with whatever you're doing! *huggles Enjay-the-Devoner*
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 1350
Posted on Tuesday, July 19, 2011 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the thing happen recently? In the last week? Year? 10 years? Hundred years? Did it happen only in Devon? Would it be considered unfortunate wherever it happened? Are deaths involved? Natural disaster? Or is it a bit lower-key that that?

As for Devon stereotypes, just take anything that applies to mainly rural, out of the way places, and you've got it :P

Post Number: 4011
Posted on Tuesday, July 19, 2011 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the thing happen recently? In the last week? Year? 10 years?this one, 2005 or so Hundred years? Did it happen only in Devon? yesWould it be considered unfortunate wherever it happened?actually, what really happened was not at all unfortunate. The comment about unfortunate Devoners is due to a couple of tongue-in-cheek comments made while discussing the good thing. Are deaths involved? Natural disaster?neither Or is it a bit lower-key that that? as for why Devoners are "unfortunate", this, lol

As for Devon stereotypes, just take anything that applies to mainly rural, out of the way places, and you've got it :P then the thing about unfortunate Devoners was most certainly a joke, and most certainly a stereotype, lol. I thought it might be. =P however it was comments by legitimate Brits (one in particular) about Devon that prompted this puzzle.

Post Number: 4012
Posted on Tuesday, July 19, 2011 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

CLARIFICATION/RECAP: Something happened in Devon, c. 2005. Someone made a guess about the identity of the event, whereupon someone else made a joke about how unfortunate Devon was, if that was intended as the good thing for Devon. (And later reiterated the comment, when another tongue-in-cheek guess was made.) To find out:
The actual 2005 event, and why it was good for Devon.
The two tongue-in-cheek comments,
and the one who called Devon unfortunate if those were considered a new, good thing for Devon.
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 1351
Posted on Tuesday, July 19, 2011 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So did something good happen, but someone jokingly suggested that Devoners would consider it a bad thing?

Did the thing happen to a resident of Devon? To many? To all of them? To the place itself?

Is farming relevant?

Post Number: 4013
Posted on Tuesday, July 19, 2011 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So did something good happen, yes but someone jokingly suggested that Devoners would consider it a bad thing? no, the good thing would be very good for Devon.

Did the thing happen to a resident of Devon? To many? To all of them? To the place itself? Well, the 'thing' ('event' is probably better, my apologies) took place in Devon, and was probably widely publicised throughout Devon.

Is farming relevant? I do not believe so, but having a farm might be useful to contributing to the event.

Post Number: 4014
Posted on Wednesday, July 20, 2011 - 1:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HINT: The event took place in a particular town in Devon, but presumably Devoners from all over Devonshire made it happen.
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 1352
Posted on Wednesday, July 20, 2011 - 6:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it a planned event? Some kind of festival? Or celebration? Did it last less than a day? Less than a week? Less than a month?

Random stab: it wasn't the incident when a cargo ship was beached and people came from miles around to loot it?

Post Number: 4015
Posted on Wednesday, July 20, 2011 - 7:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it a planned event? yes Some kind of festival? Yesish? Or celebration? Yesish? Did it last less than a day? Less than a week? Less than a month? I do not know, the Brit who talked about it didn't say, but it seems to me it took a while to acquire the thing that Devoners provided for it, while the event probably only took a day or so

Random stab: it wasn't the incident when a cargo ship well, it involved a ship! was beached and people came from miles around to loot it? but I don't think it was this. However, I COULD be wrong...
Shez (Shez)
Username: Shez

Post Number: 1312
Posted on Thursday, July 21, 2011 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

well, as we don't know whether it's the wreck, let's go on with the questions...

was a particular hip involved? any old ship? a number of ships?

was there a wreck?

were local people made happy by the event? did they celebrate? was it reported on the local news?

Post Number: 4018
Posted on Thursday, July 21, 2011 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

well, as we don't know whether it's the wreck, let's go on with the questions...thank you, I was feeling a bit ignored =(

was a particular hip involved? assuming you mean 'ship', this =D any old ship? a number of ships?

was there a wreck? No

were local people made happy by the event? Probably did they celebrate? Well, the event was some kind of celebration was it reported on the local news? since I do not have the good luck to be a Brit, or the ill-luck to be a Devoner *grin* I do not know, but it most likely was. Also, it was "reported" elsewhere (you might want to figure out exactly how *I* know about this...)
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 1315
Posted on Thursday, July 21, 2011 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

please don't feel ignored. *haz cheezeburger*

you seem to know everything already

Post Number: 4019
Posted on Thursday, July 21, 2011 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

please don't feel ignored. *haz cheezeburger*o thank you, I can haz? iz just about lunchtiem! thanx. *noms it*

you seem to know everything already lol! I do not know everything, silly Shez kitteh.
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 1349
Posted on Saturday, July 23, 2011 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

was the particular Brit whose comments prompted this puzzle H/A/M? a famous person? showbiz? sport? politics? journalism?

was the comment to the effect that the people of Devon can't have much to celebrate? was the comment funny? was it intended to be funny?

did you hear it on TV? newspaper? interweb?

was this person famous for making gaffes about stereotypes? like Boris Johnson? Prince Philip?

Post Number: 4042
Posted on Saturday, July 23, 2011 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

was the particular Brit whose comments prompted this puzzle H/A/M? yes a famous person? DOYD of 'famous person'...in a certain circle he is very famous indeed, in many others, people may consider him obscure, for which I am saddened. I will merely say that YOU know who he is =) Or should. showbiz? sport? politics? journalism? Politics is closest, in a manner of speaking, but still OTWT.

was the comment to the effect that the people of Devon can't have much to celebrate? something like that. was the comment funny? was it intended to be funny? yes to both

did you hear it on TV? newspaper? interweb? this

was this person famous for making gaffes about stereotypes? I do not think so like Boris Johnson? who's that? Prince Philip? he is not quite royalty, except that...
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 1352
Posted on Saturday, July 23, 2011 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

<i>BJ is the mayor of London, famous for being able to fit a very large foot completely inside his mouth</i?

LTPF member?

Post Number: 4043
Posted on Saturday, July 23, 2011 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

BJ is the mayor of London, famous for being able to fit a very large foot completely inside his mouth ah, I see, sounds like something many politicians are afflicted with

LTPF member? yes, indeed =)
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 1354
Posted on Saturday, July 23, 2011 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

grockles and emmets relevant?

Post Number: 4045
Posted on Saturday, July 23, 2011 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

grockles and emmets relevant? elaborate please =( I am not that clever of a kaylee kitteh...
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 1356
Posted on Saturday, July 23, 2011 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

that's what west country people call the rest of us. I believe that grockles are holidaymakers and emmets either the newcomers who have settled there or the beach bums who come for the whole summer. Incidentally a newcomer is someone who's been there less than 40 or 50 years

is the ltpf member Enjay hisself?

Post Number: 4047
Posted on Sunday, July 24, 2011 - 6:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is the ltpf member Enjay hisself?
nope, it is not Enjay hisself (but thank you for the explanation. It has nothing to do with grockles or emmets)
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 1356
Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2011 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Herself ;-)

Was something in particular being celebrated? The anniversary of something? A historical event? A recent event? Should we find out what? Did the event involve eating? Drinking? Dancing? Did many people gather in one particular area for it? Did people come from outside Devon? Is any of this relevant?
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 1383
Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2011 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

oops, sorry Enjay!

Post Number: 4085
Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2011 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Herself ;-) I *thought* you were, but I was too tired to check...Sorry, Enjay-the-Devoner =) Welcome back, I missed you and so did my puzzle, it wasn't feeling the love.

Was something in particular being celebrated? yes The anniversary of something? yes A historical event? yes A recent event? and no Should we find out what? yes Did the event involve eating? Drinking? Dancing? The event celebrating the anniversary of the historical event probably did, but I was not there Did many people gather in one particular area for it? Probably, and it would be a good idea to find out where in Devon this took place Did people come from outside Devon? Maybe, but at least people outside Devon, like Woubit, knew about it, but then Woubit knows everything Is any of this relevant? quite so
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 1358
Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2011 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

S'all right :-) Thanks!

Did it (the celebration) happen in a city? Town? Village? In the countryside? By the sea? North Devon? East Devon? South Devon? West?

Was the celebration good for Devon just because it was fun? Because it brought in money/tourism? Because it was a good thing that the historical event was being celebrated?

Does a similar celebration happen every year? Was it a one off?

Did the historical event also happen in Devon? In the same place where the celebration took place?

Post Number: 4086
Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2011 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

S'all right :-) Thanks!

Did it (the celebration) happen in a city? Not this, but I'm curious. How many cities are in Devon? I only visited Cornwall, Staffordshire, Cheshire and North Wales. Cornwall just has Truro as a real city, I think. Town? it is defined as this Village? In the countryside? I think the town is surrounded by a lot of undeveloped land By the sea? Well, by a river North Devon? This East Devon? South Devon? West?

Was the celebration good for Devon just because it was fun? Because it brought in money/tourism? This was the point of what I read, I think Because it was a good thing that the historical event was being celebrated? but yes to the others, too

Does a similar celebration happen every year? Was it a one off? I think it was a one off, because it was an important anniversary

Did the historical event also happen in Devon? No, in Spain. In the same place where the celebration took place? laeftr (how woubit-like of me...)
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 1388
Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2011 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sir Francis Drake relevant?

Post Number: 4090
Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2011 - 9:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sir Francis Drake relevant?
he is not - I think Drake was about two and a half centuries too early, give or take a few years...
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 1395
Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2011 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

great clue for people who can do sums..

Trafalgar?
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 1359
Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2011 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well Exeter and Plymouth are the two big ones...they may be the only actual cities, not sure

I'm still a little confused as to what we;re trying to work out here, I shall try and clarify:

In 2005, in a town in North Devon, an event took place commemorating an anniversary (based on your Drake clue - the 200th?) of a historical event.

Woubit made a funny comment about this that implied the people of devon were unfortunate?

You said this joke was made when somebody guessed at the identity of the event - did they guess at the 2005 event or the historical one? Was it a serious guess? Was the joke made by woubit based off this guess or off the event itself?

Post Number: 4093
Posted on Friday, July 29, 2011 - 4:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

great clue for people who can do sums.. unlike me, but I seem to have managed well enough this time =)

Trafalgar? quite so!

Well Exeter and Plymouth are the two big ones...they may be the only actual cities, not sure Ah, ok. I've heard of them but didn't know where they were.

I'm still a little confused as to what we;re trying to work out here, I shall try and clarify: good!

In 2005, in a town in North Devon which has yet to be identified..., an event took place commemorating an anniversary (based on your Drake clue - the 200th?) of a historical event. of the Battle of Trafalgar, as Shez has surmised

Woubit made a funny comment about this that implied the people of devon were unfortunate? well, woubit made two funny comments in response to someone else's funny comments

You said this joke was made when somebody guessed at the identity of the event - did they guess at the 2005 event this or the historical one? Was it a serious guess? not likely Was the joke made by woubit based off this guess by both or off the event itself?
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 1410
Posted on Monday, August 01, 2011 - 8:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

was the event to commemorate Trafalgar not a success?

Post Number: 4101
Posted on Monday, August 01, 2011 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

was the event to commemorate Trafalgar not a success? I wouldn't know, but this puzzle deals more with something in preparation for the event, rather than the event itself. Though figuring out how Trafalgar was commemorated would be a great help, too.
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 1421
Posted on Tuesday, August 02, 2011 - 8:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

was Trafalgar commemorated by doing something with ships? many ships? small boats? (I'm told by sailors not to call them boats as apparently this only refers to submarines, but I feel that the rest of the world calls a smaller vessel a boat)

did they (it) all sail out of Plymouth?

did any of them sink?

did they do a ship up to look like Nelson's flagship?

did they fire canon?
Sundowner (Sundowner)
Username: Sundowner

Post Number: 851
Posted on Tuesday, August 02, 2011 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would it be cheating to dig out woubit's puzzle from the archive? : )

Post Number: 4117
Posted on Tuesday, August 02, 2011 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

was Trafalgar commemorated by doing something with ships? a particular ship many ships? small boats? (I'm told by sailors not to call them boats as apparently this only refers to submarines, but I feel that the rest of the world calls a smaller vessel a boat) a ship =)

did they (it) all sail out of Plymouth? Plymouth is not the place you want

did any of them sink? I imagine it did, because...

did they do a ship up to look like Nelson's flagship? yes!!! but they had a slight problem...

did they fire canon? well, they 'fired' something...

Would it be cheating to dig out woubit's puzzle from the archive? : ) well, you'd figure out the answer very easily from there, obviously lol, so why don't we see if the actual event can be figured out first, and then the "poor Devon" bit can be dragged up from woubit's puzzle, unless people who have read that puzzle recall why Devon has supposed problems from memory
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 1442
Posted on Thursday, August 04, 2011 - 9:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

did the ship catch fire?

Post Number: 4142
Posted on Thursday, August 04, 2011 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

did the ship catch fire? yes...although you might want to specify which ship...
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 1462
Posted on Monday, August 08, 2011 - 8:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

*confuzed kitteh*

I thought there was only one ship..

OK so did the ship made to look like Nelson's flagship? did it fire on otheer ships and set fire to one of them?

Post Number: 4177
Posted on Monday, August 08, 2011 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

*confuzed kitteh* I sry...

I thought there was only one ship..well...I meant the replica rather than Nelson's real ship.

OK so did the ship made to look like Nelson's flagship? if you mean "was", not "did", then yes exactly! did it fire on otheer ships and set fire to one of them?no, there were no other ships, just this half-size replica of Nelson's flagship. Find out more about it.
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 1471
Posted on Tuesday, August 09, 2011 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

did this ship have replica canons? did they fire them? did the ship catch fire?

Post Number: 4179
Posted on Tuesday, August 09, 2011 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

did this ship have replica canons? whether it did or not is irrelevant did they fire them? I do not know did the ship catch fire? yes. How?
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 1486
Posted on Tuesday, August 09, 2011 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

did they have fireworks?

Post Number: 4182
Posted on Tuesday, August 09, 2011 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

did they have fireworks? perhaps, but not to burn the ship with
Fionakelleghan (Fionakelleghan)
Username: Fionakelleghan

Post Number: 259
Posted on Tuesday, August 09, 2011 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Fiona kitteh wants very much to throw out questions here, but fiona kitteh also knows nothing about this incident.

So I think I'll go create another puzzle.

But I really want to learn about this incident!

Post Number: 4184
Posted on Tuesday, August 09, 2011 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Fiona kitteh wants very much to throw out questions here, but fiona kitteh also knows nothing about this incident.

So I think I'll go create another puzzle.

But I really want to learn about this incident!

kaylee kitteh iz just glad fiona kitteh iz enjoyin!! =) and hopez new puzzel iz gud! heer, can haz cheezburgur =) *cuddlez*
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 1504
Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2011 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

were there candles? an electrical fault?

Post Number: 4188
Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2011 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

were there candles? an electrical fault? no. The ship was purposely set on fire.
Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 14332
Posted on Wednesday, August 17, 2011 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK, this is the ship from woubit's puzzle about "money for old rope," right?

Post Number: 4222
Posted on Wednesday, August 17, 2011 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK, this is the ship from woubit's puzzle about "money for old rope," right? right! =)
Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 14350
Posted on Wednesday, August 17, 2011 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just noticed that the very first guess on that puzzle was "Channel 5," to which woubit replied "Poor Devon." Could that, maybe, just possibly be relevant?

Post Number: 4225
Posted on Wednesday, August 17, 2011 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just noticed that the very first guess on that puzzle was "Channel 5," to which woubit replied "Poor Devon." Could that, maybe, just possibly be relevant? in fact, that is *extremely* relevant...as it's half the answer =) (Although I must admit, it is lost on me. Is Channel 5 a good or bad channel on that side of the pond?)

Post Number: 4231
Posted on Wednesday, August 17, 2011 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

RECAP:

In Woubit's "money for old rope" puzzle, two comments were made by a certain puzzler that Woubit seemed to believe indicated Devon was rather unlucky. Apparently, Devon had just received Channel 5, as well as something else, if you were to believe the puzzler's guesses.

In fact, Devon was the recipient of literal "money for old rope" because of the anniversary of the Battle of Trafalgar, celebrated in an as yet unnamed Devon town (which you can get easily from Woubit's puzzle, I expect).

So, anyone care to throw in the last two bits - why else, besides Channel 5, was Devon "poor Devon", and where was the celebration in Devon?
Doriana (Doriana)
Username: Doriana

Post Number: 1854
Posted on Wednesday, August 17, 2011 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thankz foar teh recat, err, recap (:

Woubit's puzzle tells me that the town is Torrington?

And is the "recent introduction of the internet in Devon" relevant?

Post Number: 4233
Posted on Wednesday, August 17, 2011 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thankz foar teh recat, err, recap (: iz welcome, doriana kitteh =)

Woubit's puzzle tells me that the town is Torrington? it is indeed =)

And is the "recent introduction of the internet in Devon" relevant? very, and these three along with the RECAP above constitute the

***SPOILER***

In woubit's relevant puzzle in the archives, he expressed interest in the fact that literal "money for old rope" was to be found in Devon, in the town of Torrington, for the 200th anniversary of the Battle of Trafalgar. It was needed to make the rigging for the (half size, I think) model ship to be built there, which would subsequently be burned.

During the puzzle, two playful guesses were posed as to what was to be found for the first time in Devon - "Channel 5", and "the internet". Woubit's reaction was "Poor Devon", and as I now know Enjay to be a Devoner, my reaction was "Poor Enjay and friends."

...Poor Enjay, she didn't get to solve the puzzle! But everyone did well. Special cheezburgur recognition to Doriana kitteh for the solve!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: