[solitiare]keeps the riff-raff out Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - July 2011 » [solitiare]keeps the riff-raff out « Previous Next »

Solitiare (Solitiare)
Username: Solitiare

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2011 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

She (HAF) is the chairperson/secretary of a very exclusive society. In fact, she is not qualified to join, and was made an honorary member only because her skills were needed. Why?
Yatin509 (Yatin509)
Username: Yatin509

Post Number: 131
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2011 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am too new to welcome you to LTPF but anyway WELCOME TO LTPF

If she has the skill how is she not qualified. Qualification means that the quality you have for the thing.
Anyway if I understood your puzzle.

Did the work needed speaking skills?

Was she very convincing?
Doriana (Doriana)
Username: Doriana

Post Number: 1716
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2011 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Welcome to the LTPF (:

Is she not qualified to join because of her gender? nationality? race? religion? education?

Is it a secret society? a religious society? an academic society?
Solitiare (Solitiare)

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2011 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If she has the skill how is she not qualified. Qualification means that the quality you have for the thing. Qualifications to join this society are not related to skill.
Anyway if I understood your puzzle.

Did the work needed speaking skills? Yes, among other things.

Was she very convincing? Not relevant.

Is she not qualified to join because of her gender? nationality? race? religion? education? None of these would disqualify her.

Is it a secret society? a religious society? an academic society? No to all.
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Username: Haenlomal

Post Number: 1038
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2011 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mensa?
Yatin509 (Yatin509)

Post Number: 132
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2011 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A Medical society?

Does the society does rallies?

Society works for public welfare? Self interest? Members interest?

Does the qualificatin is as such a degree BA,BBA,MBBS,BTech etc.?
Solitiare (Solitiare)

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2011 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A Medical society? No

Does the society does rallies? irr

Society works for public welfare? Self interest? Members interest? Mainly for the interest of its members, though there is a measure of public benefit too.

Does the qualificatin is as such a degree BA,BBA,MBBS,BTech etc.? No degree is relevant. Anyone on this forum could no doubt do what she does.
Shez (Shez)
Username: Shez

Post Number: 1328
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2011 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

welcome from me too!

in order to join this exclusive society, do you need a particular physical characteristic? wealth?

is age relevant?
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Username: Haenlomal

Post Number: 1039
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2011 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think you missed my post...
Solitiare (Solitiare)

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, July 23, 2011 - 12:26 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mensa?
I think you missed my post... Mea culpa! No, not Mensa.

welcome from me too! Thank you all.

in order to join this exclusive society, do you need a particular physical characteristic? A couple of particular physical characteristics. wealth? no

is age relevant? Yes!
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 1331
Posted on Saturday, July 23, 2011 - 9:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

do you have to be young? a child? old?

the physical characteristics - a disability? blind? deaf? wheelchair user?

red hair? twins?
Solitiare (Solitiare)

Post Number: 7
Posted on Saturday, July 23, 2011 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

do you have to be young? a child? no to both old? Yes! Explore.

the physical characteristics - a disability? blind? deaf? wheelchair user? all irrelevant

red hair? twins? no - f.a.
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 1334
Posted on Saturday, July 23, 2011 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you have to be over 100 to join? or at least a certain age in order to have shared a common experience? to have survived something?
Solitiare (Solitiare)

Post Number: 8
Posted on Saturday, July 23, 2011 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you have to be over 100 to join? Yes! or at least a certain age in order to have shared a common experience?or at least to have acquired a certain characteristic to have survived something? irr.
Keep on exploring!
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 1341
Posted on Saturday, July 23, 2011 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

people who've had telegrams from the queen?

is the she in the puzzle the queen herself?
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 4033
Posted on Saturday, July 23, 2011 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ooh, that's a clever idea Shez! yes, she's certainly not qualified yet! =) (any bets on whether she'll qualify eventually? I think so, she seems to be going pretty strong!)
Solitiare (Solitiare)

Post Number: 9
Posted on Saturday, July 23, 2011 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

people who've had telegrams from the queen? No. Wrong assumption.

is the she in the puzzle the queen herself?

ooh, that's a clever idea Shez! yes, she's certainly not qualified yet! =) (any bets on whether she'll qualify eventually? I think so, she seems to be going pretty strong!)
Remember, I said that any of you on the forum could do what she does. I don't think any of you is the Queen of England. If I'm wrong, my apologies, ma'am.
Even if you are, there is still a FA.

Post Number: 4035
Posted on Saturday, July 23, 2011 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

lol! oh, I didn't see that. My apologies, Solitiare. Hmm, HM the Queen as an LTPF member. That would be amazing. =)
Solitiare (Solitiare)

Post Number: 11
Posted on Saturday, July 23, 2011 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

lol! oh, I didn't see that. My apologies, Solitiare. Hmm, HM the Queen as an LTPF member. That would be amazing. =)
No apology necessary, Kayleekitteh. And you can call me Sol, or Soli. 'Your Majesty' isn't necessary. =)

Post Number: 4037
Posted on Saturday, July 23, 2011 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok Soli kitteh! =) here, you can haz cheezburgur =) welcome to teh forum, iz very nice place! =)
Solitiare (Solitiare)

Post Number: 12
Posted on Saturday, July 23, 2011 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok Soli kitteh! =) here, you can haz cheezburgur =) welcome to teh forum, iz very nice place! =) Thank you, and I agree. Sorry, I don't speak kitteh yet, but I'll learn!
Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 13997
Posted on Sunday, July 24, 2011 - 12:37 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is she still physically able? Physically active?
Solitiare (Solitiare)

Post Number: 13
Posted on Sunday, July 24, 2011 - 12:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is she still physically able? Physically active? Yes to both, but I think there is still a FA being made.
Rbruma (Rbruma)
Username: Rbruma

Post Number: 1662
Posted on Sunday, July 24, 2011 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Welcome to the forum from my part too, Your Majesty :-)

Long shot in the dark: Is Japan relevant?

If not: Is the location of the society relevant? Can I invoke the usual [LTPF list of countries]?

She is not qualified because she is too young to be admitted?

Number of members in the society -- less than 10? 100? 1000? 10000? More than 10000?

Is this an international society (in the sense that it includes members from all over the world)? Do we need to figure it out where it resides?

Time relevant?
Solitiare (Solitiare)

Post Number: 19
Posted on Sunday, July 24, 2011 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Welcome to the forum from my part too, Your Majesty :-) nods regally :-)

Long shot in the dark: Is Japan relevant? ?? Sorry, no

If not: Is the location of the society relevant? Yes! Can I invoke the usual [LTPF list of countries]? It is in the USA. The members are in one section of the US.

She is not qualified because she is too young to be admitted? That is not the reason she is not qualified.

Number of members in the society -- less than 10? 100? 1000? Around 6000.10000? More than 10000?

Is this an international society (in the sense that it includes members from all over the world)? No - just US Do we need to figure it out where it resides? It might help to find out what section of the US, or it might not. Hint: Better to concentrate on the 6000+ members.

Time relevant? Present time. nr
Rbruma (Rbruma)
Username: Rbruma

Post Number: 1663
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2011 - 12:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, let's concentrate on the members.

Please correct my mistakes below

They (the members) are all over 100 years old, correct?

You said that anyone on this forum can do what she does. Then: what makes is special is: her country of origin? the language she speaks? the fact that she is a LTPF member?

Was she made a member for reasons unrelated to her skill?

You said a certain "section" of the USA -- does that mean a state or generally a part of a country? Or maybe it is not a geographical designation?
Solitiare (Solitiare)

Post Number: 23
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2011 - 1:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, let's concentrate on the members.

Please correct my mistakes below

They (the members) are all over 100 years old, correct? Except for the secretary, yes

You said that anyone on this forum can do what she does. Then: what makes is special is: her country of origin? the language she speaks? the fact that she is a LTPF member? She is not really special, just different from the other members of the society. She might be very intelligent - probably is - but this is not relevant.

Was she made a member for reasons unrelated to her skill? svv of 'skill.' Best answer is yope.

You said a certain "section" of the USA -- does that mean a state or generally a part of a country? Or maybe it is not a geographical designation? A geographical part of the country, not one particular state.
Keep on exploring!

Post Number: 4066
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2011 - 3:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Section": (U.S. Census Bureau regions)
Northeast:
New England? (Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut)
Mid-Atlantic? (New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey)

Midwest:
East North Central? (Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio)
West North Central? (Missouri, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Minnesota, Iowa)

South:
South Atlantic? (Delaware, Maryland, District of Columbia, Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida)
East South Central? (Kentucky, Tennessee, Mississippi, Alabama)
West South Central? (Oklahoma, Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana)

West:
Mountain? (Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico)
Pacific? (Alaska, Washington, Oregon, California, Hawaii)

Or in case that's not what you meant, is it one of these?

Unofficial U.S. multi-state regions
Appalachia?
Ark-La-Tex?
Atlantic Seaboard?
Bible Belt?
Black Dirt Region?
Blackstone Valley?
Border states:
Civil War Border States?
International border states?
The Carolinas?
Cascadia?
Central United States?
Champlain Valley?
Coastal States?
Colorado Plateau?
Contiguous United States?
Columbia Basin?
The Dakotas?
Deep South?
Delaware Valley?
Delmarva Peninsula?
Dixie?
Driftless Area?
East Coast?
Eastern United States?
Four Corners?
Frontier Strip?
Great American Desert?
Great Basin?
Great Lakes Region?
Great North Woods?
Great Plains?
Great Valley?
Gulf Coast?
Gulf South?
High Plains?
Inland Empire (Pacific Northwest)?
Interior Plains?
Intermountain States?
Lake Tahoe?
Llano Estacado?
Mississippi Delta?
Mississippi River?
Mojave Desert?
Mountain States?
Ohio Valley?
Ozarks?
Pacific States?
Pacific Northwest?
Palouse?
Piedmont?
Piney Woods?
Rocky Mountains?
Shawnee Hills?
Shenandoah Valley?
Siouxland?
The South?
Southern Rocky Mountains?
Southeastern United States?
Southwest?
Susquehanna River?
Tennessee Valley?
Trans-Appalachia?
Trans-Mississippi?
Twin Tiers?
Upland South?
Upper Midwest?
Virginias?
Waxhaws?
West Coast?
Solitiare (Solitiare)

Post Number: 25
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2011 - 3:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

South:
South Atlantic? (Delaware, Maryland, District of Columbia, Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida)
East South Central? (Kentucky, Tennessee, Mississippi, Alabama)
West South Central? (Oklahoma, Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana) The South generally, coastal parts especially.
There is a non-geographical question which nobody has asked, and would probably lead to a breakthrough.

Kaylee, I'm sorry you had to go to the trouble of typing all those areas, but I learned that I don't know as much about US geography as I thought I did. Waxhaws? Twin Tiers? I'm going to have to Google them!

Post Number: 4067
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2011 - 4:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The magic of copying and pasting from Wikipedia never fails to amaze me. The most trouble I had was the question marks. *wink* =D I don't know anything about a lot of these areas, either! Wikipedia should help, and Google - collectively known to LTPFers as "Googlepedia" for short =D
Noel (Noel)
Username: Noel

Post Number: 2741
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2011 - 4:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the "skill" she has something that most young adults would have? Most middle aged adults? Most seniors? But most 100 year olds don't? Is it the ability to drive?
Solitiare (Solitiare)

Post Number: 26
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2011 - 5:32 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the "skill" she has something that most young adults would have? yes Most middle aged adults? yes Most seniors? yes But most 100 year olds don't? Some do
Is it the ability to drive? The other members of this society do not drive, that's true, but her ability to drive is irrelevant.
Noel (Noel)
Username: Noel

Post Number: 2743
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2011 - 5:37 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the skill something that most young children would have? most teens?
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 1364
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2011 - 8:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is it computer skills?
Solitiare (Solitiare)

Post Number: 27
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2011 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the skill something that most young children would have?most would not most teens?many would, but would probably not be considered mature and reliable enough.
is it computer skills? no.

Although the society could not get along without her, she is not the important one.
Vesica (Vesica)
Username: Vesica

Post Number: 1722
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2011 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Forgive me while I get up to speed here….

Is age the only qualification for joining the society?
Are sports relevant?
Physical activity?
(For some reason I am thinking of the “Polar Bear” swimmers…and I think there is a club or two of the “Over X age” swimmers…)

Do all members share in common where they were born?
Where they grew up?
Were they in a certain city(cities) for some historical event?
Are all the members alive?
Both male and female?
Are they all parents?

Is relevant why she is both Chair and Secretary?
But not Vice Chair?
Is there a Vice Chair?
How about Treasurer?

Does her role require full time work?
Does the society have a headquarters?
Does she work there?

The society is based in the Southern US, coastal regions…
Is a specific location such as a building, park, or home relevant?
Fishing relevant?
Boats?
The sea?

Is determining the exact society relevant?

Is this based on a true story?
From your imagination (FYI)?
Based on book/tv/movie (FSEI – From someone else’s imagination)?

Please clarify, as these seem in direct contradiction...
The puzzle statement reads:
…and was made an honorary member only because her skills were needed.
But in answer to Rbruma, you said:
Was she made a member for reasons unrelated to her skill? svv of 'skill.' Best answer is yope.

The only thing I can think of that makes both of those true...Was there some circumstance that created the need for her skills?
Solitiare (Solitiare)

Post Number: 31
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2011 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is age the only qualification for joining the society? No!
Are sports relevant?
Physical activity? no to both
(For some reason I am thinking of the “Polar Bear” swimmers…and I think there is a club or two of the “Over X age” swimmers…)

Do all members share in common where they were born? In a regional sense, yes, but that is not their qualification for being members.
Where they grew up? As above.
Were they in a certain city(cities) for some historical event? No
Are all the members alive? yesish, but really yes
Both male and female? nr
Are they all parents? best answer is nr.

Is relevant why she is both Chair and Secretary?Yes!
But not Vice Chair?
Is there a Vice Chair? The vice chair substitutes for the chair, and she cannot sub for herself. There is no Vice chair.
How about Treasurer? She is treasurer also.
Does her role require full time work? IDK, but probably.
Does the society have a headquarters? yes
Does she work there? Not sure if she works there, or from home, and it is nr.

The society is based in the Southern US, coastal regions…
Is a specific location such as a building, park, or home relevant? No
Fishing relevant?
Boats?
The sea? No to all

Is determining the exact society relevant? If you determined the exact society you would have solved the puzzle. Only relevant thing is to determine what all the members (except her) have in common.

Is this based on a true story?
From your imagination (FYI)?
Based on book/tv/movie (FSEI – From someone else’s imagination)? True story, but expressed in a lateral way.

Please clarify, as these seem in direct contradiction...
The puzzle statement reads:
…and was made an honorary member only because her skills were needed.
But in answer to Rbruma, you said:

The only thing I can think of that makes both of those true...Was there some circumstance that created the need for her skills? Does seem that way, doesn't it?
BLOOOOPEEEER: She can do some things that the other members cannot. These might be referred to as skills, but they are not hightly skilled skills. Even if she was highly skilled, that would not be necessary for her employment. That's why I said Yope and not Yes or No.

Is there some circumstance that created the need? Depends what is meant by _circumstance_.

I hope that has cleared up the confusion. ;->
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 1366
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2011 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

are these all people with Alzheimers or dementia? stroke victims? that sleeping sickness thing - post encephalitis??
Vesica (Vesica)

Post Number: 1725
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2011 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does one need to have a certain disability to qualify for membership?
One exclusive to aging?
Or more common in the aged?

Expanding on "circumstance" -
Did a group event make her skills needed?
Such as a war?
Weather disaster?
Other disaster?
Did a personal event (or events) make her skills needed?
Such as a health problem developed individually by each member?
Solitiare (Solitiare)

Post Number: 32
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2011 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

are these all people with Alzheimers or dementia? stroke victims? that sleeping sickness thing - post encephalitis?? No, no, and no. Serious FA being made, as it has been all along.

Does one need to have a certain disability to qualify for membership?
One exclusive to aging?
Or more common in the aged? See answer to Shez, above.

Expanding on "circumstance" -
Did a group event make her skills needed? More a condition than an event. Not applicable and nr to all the rest.
Such as a war?
Weather disaster?
Other disaster?
Did a personal event (or events) make her skills needed?
Such as a health problem developed individually by each member?
Biograd (Biograd)
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 1823
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2011 - 1:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are all the members over 100 years old because the group is defined literally as "people over 100 who ___(some condition)___ "? Or does one need to have done something that has not been possible for over 100 years? Must one have lived through? or even participated in? a particular historical event?
Solitiare (Solitiare)

Post Number: 33
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2011 - 2:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are all the members over 100 years old because the group is defined literally as "people No; FA over 100 who ___(some condition)___ "? Or does one need to have done something that has not been possible for over 100 years?No; WA Must one have lived through? No, as abpve or even participated in? a particular historical event? No,as abpve
Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 1830
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2011 - 2:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, so "people" is a FA? Are the members animals? or even trees? Is this some type of conservation society, and she is needed simply because she's a human!?
Solitiare (Solitiare)

Post Number: 34
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2011 - 3:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, so "people" is a FA? YES Are the members animals? or even trees?this Is this some type of conservation society, and she is needed simply because she's a human!? Yes to both.

You're not required to name the species of tree (but bonus points if you can) but what else do they have to have in common, to belong to this society?
Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 1831
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2011 - 4:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do they have to qualify as "old growth"?

I don't know what kind of trees grow in the southern US, as I've never been there.
Solitiare (Solitiare)

Post Number: 35
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2011 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do they have to qualify as "old growth"? They are very old, and the characteristic sometimes comes with age, but that, by itself, is not it.

I don't know what kind of trees grow in the southern US, as I've never been there. Not important. See previous answer.
Vesica (Vesica)

Post Number: 1739
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2011 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

AH ha!! Tricky tricky with the trees. I totally don't see the issue with the trees serving as their own secretary. ;)

Live oak?
Some sort of pine?

Are all the trees of a certain height?
Girth?
Solitiare (Solitiare)

Post Number: 42
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2011 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

AH ha!! Tricky tricky with the trees. I totally don't see the issue with the trees serving as their own secretary. ;)
They are not their own secretary, but they are their own president.
Live oak? Yes!
Some sort of pine?

Are all the trees of a certain height?
Girth? This.

****************SPOILER*****************

All members of the Live Oak Society are live oak trees which are at least 8 feet around - except of course for the secretary, who has to be human.
The society is a branch - that is, an offshoot - er, a subsidiary of the Louisiana Federation of Garden Clubs.

Thanks to all, and congratulations again, Vesica.
Yatin509 (Yatin509)

Post Number: 139
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2011 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Great Puzzle!
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 1373
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2011 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

tee hee! good puzzle!
Vesica (Vesica)

Post Number: 1745
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2011 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, I loved this one!! Too funny how long it took us to get to the whole tree thing. Also, how great would that job be. I mean, I doubt there are a lot of demands from the members, you know?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: