[Solitiare] A little lateral literal ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - July 2011 » [Solitiare] A little lateral literal literary scrund « Previous Next »

Solitiare (Solitiare)
Username: Solitiare

Post Number: 14
Posted on Sunday, July 24, 2011 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Most people's scrunds develop when they are children. I acquired one when I was about 12-13 years old, and as a direct result of widening my horizions.

Of course, I no longer have it.
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 4051
Posted on Sunday, July 24, 2011 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

good morning soli kitteh! ooh, new scrund! yay! =) kaylee kitteh loves scrundpuzzelz.

Was the scrund created by something you:
read?
if so, in a:
book?
newspaper?
magazine?
online?
other?
heard?
saw:
on television?
in a movie?
in real life?
Solitiare (Solitiare)

Post Number: 15
Posted on Sunday, July 24, 2011 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the scrund created by something you:
read? Yes.
if so, in a:
book? or books, yes
newspaper?
magazine?
online?
other?
heard?
saw:
on television?
in a movie?
in real life?

Post Number: 4058
Posted on Sunday, July 24, 2011 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

were the books you read a series?
were they fiction?
nonfiction?
is their author still alive?
dead?
wild guesses - Harry Potter series? Lord of the Rings? if not LOTR, other books by Tolkien?
Solitiare (Solitiare)

Post Number: 16
Posted on Sunday, July 24, 2011 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

were the books you read a series? Yope
were they fiction? Yes
nonfiction?
is their author still alive? The authors are most likely not still alive.
dead? Some of them I know to be dead.
wild guesses - Harry Potter series? Lord of the Rings? if not LOTR, other books by Tolkien? None of these. Broad Hint: Not Fantasy or Science Fiction at all.
Doriana (Doriana)
Username: Doriana

Post Number: 1728
Posted on Sunday, July 24, 2011 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the scrund related to
history? famous people?
science? chemistry? physics? biology?
animals?
the human body? medicine?
languages?
geography?
culture?
food?

Are we taking about 2-5 books? 6-10? more than 10? Are they books you typically read at that age? Are they novels? plays? poems?

Did you misunderstand information given in the book? take something literally?
Solitiare (Solitiare)

Post Number: 18
Posted on Sunday, July 24, 2011 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the scrund related to
history? famous people?
science? chemistry? physics? biology?
animals?
the human body? medicine?
languages?
geography?
culture?
food? hmm. It was about people, but not famous ones. Language and culture were also reasons that I had this scrund.

Are we taking about 2-5 books? 6-10? At least this many, maybe more. more than 10? Are they books you typically read at that age? I had just started reading this type of book. Are they novels? this plays? poems?

Did you misunderstand information given in the book? take something literally? Yes to both.
Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 14009
Posted on Sunday, July 24, 2011 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the historical setting of the novels relevant?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 1730
Posted on Sunday, July 24, 2011 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were the books written in the [LTPF list of centuries]? Are they crime novels? historical novels? love stories? adventure novels?
Were they written by men? women? relevant?

Did you take a single word literally? more than one?

Relevant how you got rid of the scrund?
Solitiare (Solitiare)

Post Number: 20
Posted on Sunday, July 24, 2011 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the historical setting of the novels relevante?
Not relevant.
Were the books written in the [LTPF list of centuries]?Yes, the UK. Are they crime novels? This historical novels? love stories? adventure novels?
Were they written by men? women? relevant? nr

Did you take a single word literally? more than one? Sort of yope to both.

Relevant how you got rid of the scrund? I don't really remember. I suppose it just dawned on me one day.
Shez (Shez)
Username: Shez

Post Number: 1361
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2011 - 8:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had a scrund about a Jane Austen novel - is she relevant?
Rbruma (Rbruma)
Username: Rbruma

Post Number: 1664
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2011 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You answered to "Were the books written in the [LTPF list of centuries]?" With : "Yes, the UK"

Does that mean that the list of centuries is not allowed? That location is more important than time? Is there any other hidden meaning to it?

Agatha Christie relevant? Some of the fictional characters he created?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 1736
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2011 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think Solitiare misread "centuries" as "countries" (:

Are prisons relevant? the police? crimes? punishments? trials?
Solitiare (Solitiare)

Post Number: 28
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2011 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had a scrund about a Jane Austen novel - is she relevant? No. What was it? Or are you saving it for a puzzle?
You answered to "Were the books written in the [LTPF list of centuries]?" With : "Yes, the UK"

Does that mean that the list of centuries is not allowed? That location is more important than time? Is there any other hidden meaning to it? No hidden meaning at all. I just misread the question. The relevant centuries are the 19th and 20th.

Agatha Christie relevant? Yessish Some of the fictional characters he created? None of the major characters. If they had been, I probably would not have had this scrund.

I think Solitiare misread "centuries" as "countries" (: I did. My only excuse is that it was late & I was half-asleep.

Are prisons relevant? No the police?YES crimes? yes punishments? not so much trials? yes
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 14012
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2011 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Agatha Christie "Yesish"ly relevant...are any of her novels relevant? Is she herself relevant?
Solitiare (Solitiare)

Post Number: 30
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2011 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Agatha Christie "Yesish"ly relevant...are any of her novels relevant?None in particular. Is she herself relevant? No. The answer was yessish because Christie was not the only relevant author.
Vesica (Vesica)
Username: Vesica

Post Number: 1728
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2011 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the scrund related to mystery novels in general?
Mystery novels written by Brits?
Did they all share something in common about the main character/detective?
Were the main characters all police?
Scotland Yard?

Did the scrund have to do with language differences between UK and US English?
To do with some bit of UK slang?
For example, did you think all UK police were named “Bobby”?

Is it relevant where you grew up? As in what country?
Solitiare (Solitiare)

Post Number: 37
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2011 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the scrund related to mystery novels in general?
Mystery novels written by Brits? This
Did they all share something in common about the main character/detective? Not usually the main character.
Were the main characters all police?
Scotland Yard? Yes to both

Did the scrund have to do with language differences between UK and US English? Yes!
To do with some bit of UK slang? No
For example, did you think all UK police were named “Bobby”? No, but this is VERY close. Close enough, I think, for a

**************SPOILER*************

I thought all British policemen had the same initials, and wondered what they stood for. Percival Charles? Peter Colin?
I finally caught on that it was Police Constable!

Is it relevant where you grew up? As in what country? The US, as you have no doubt figured out, being swifter than I was!

Thanks to all who took part, & congrats, Vesica!
Vesica (Vesica)
Username: Vesica

Post Number: 1733
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2011 - 6:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

*laughs* I can remember thinking the same thing re: all of the PCs in Brit detective fic. I also took forever to figure out who titles worked and I'd be confused for ages until I figured out that Peter was the Duke of Whatever. They all switch between given and family names and titled names like it's no big thing.

Us poor little Americans. ;)
Solitiare (Solitiare)

Post Number: 38
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2011 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glad I wasn't the only one!
Shez (Shez)
Username: Shez

Post Number: 1376
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2011 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

brilliant!

Post Number: 4089
Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2011 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

my best friend in Cornwall, Emma, is a SC...Special Constable! (That's like a PC, only voluntary =) )

this was great, Soli kitteh! us poor American kittehs!
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 14034
Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2011 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ditto -- I wondered for a while why every cop in Brit fic was P. C. Whatshisname. Great puzzle!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: