[Nimue] Response to Disaster Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - August 2011 » [Nimue] Response to Disaster « Previous Next »

Nimue (Nimue)
Username: Nimue

Post Number: 7063
Posted on Tuesday, August 09, 2011 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One of the best things you can do in response to a large-scale disaster is something that few people do. What is it?
Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 14209
Posted on Tuesday, August 09, 2011 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is proximity to the disaster relevant? Preparations for a potential similar disaster in your area?
Fionakelleghan (Fionakelleghan)
Username: Fionakelleghan

Post Number: 267
Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2011 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the disaster a type that I know (because, living in Miami, I've had my share of hurricanes)?

I'm studying your statement and cannot decide whether you mean people, citizens, in their homes - or governmental task forces.

Balin is right to ask about proximity - I mean, tornadoes kind of mosey along and then blow themselves up into angry heathen gods, don't they?

Okay, you write "in response" - which I am taking to mean that I have already been prepared and now am willing to help in response.

Is it a matter of items in the home?
Batteries, filling tubs and every empty container with water, securing the cats (because our little darlings don't know how to), driving in a hurry to the grocery store?

If those are irrelevent, am I close?

How about electronics?
Keep our computers up and running?
Keep the TV on for late-breaking news?
Use the phone to call friends and family?

Oh! Oh! I've got it! The best thing *I* would do is get out my videocam, and then call The Miami Herald and tell them that I'll happily sell my footage for $10,000.

(Fiona lingers over that one, with a rapt smile, then returns to Earth.)
Shez (Shez)
Username: Shez

Post Number: 1496
Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2011 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is it to stay off the phone and leave the networks free for emergencies?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 7064
Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2011 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 14209

Posted on Tuesday, August 09, 2011 - 11:52 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Is proximity to the disaster relevant? no Preparations for a potential similar disaster in your area? no

Post Number: 267

Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2011 - 9:13 am: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Is the disaster a type that I know (because, living in Miami, I've had my share of hurricanes)?this would apply to most disasters, including hurricanes

I'm studying your statement and cannot decide whether you mean people, citizens, in their homes - or governmental task forces. individuals

Balin is right to ask about proximity - I mean, tornadoes kind of mosey along and then blow themselves up into angry heathen gods, don't they?

Okay, you write "in response" - which I am taking to mean that I have already been prepared and now am willing to help in response. yes!!

Is it a matter of items in the home?
Batteries, filling tubs and every empty container with water, securing the cats (because our little darlings don't know how to), driving in a hurry to the grocery store?

If those are irrelevent, am I close?

How about electronics?
Keep our computers up and running?
Keep the TV on for late-breaking news?
Use the phone to call friends and family?

Oh! Oh! I've got it! The best thing *I* would do is get out my videocam, and then call The Miami Herald and tell them that I'll happily sell my footage for $10,000.

(Fiona lingers over that one, with a rapt smile, then returns to Earth.)
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 1496

Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2011 - 9:16 am: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
is it to stay off the phone and leave the networks free for emergencies? no
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 14219
Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2011 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does it involve aid to those directly affected and/or injured by the disaster?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 7066
Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2011 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 14219

Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2011 - 8:20 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Does it involve aid to those directly affected and/or injured by the disaster? no

Post Number: 270
Posted on Thursday, August 11, 2011 - 6:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does it involve:

communication? including
home computers?
calling or not calling 9-1-1?

transportation? including
helping to clear traffic jams?
helping in street intersections where traffic lights are inoperative?

emergency shelters for people?

shelters for pets?
bringing livestock to a safe place?
horses?
sheep?
goats? others?

care for sick relatives or other sick people?
care for people who are too young or injured or unable to help?

obtaining food and water?

language, which might include:

translations?
signs?
help for tourists?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 7067
Posted on Thursday, August 11, 2011 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Post Number: 270

Posted on Thursday, August 11, 2011 - 6:47 am: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Does it involve:

communication? including
home computers?
calling or not calling 9-1-1?

transportation? including
helping to clear traffic jams?
helping in street intersections where traffic lights are inoperative?

emergency shelters for people?

shelters for pets?
bringing livestock to a safe place?
horses?
sheep?
goats? others?

care for sick relatives or other sick people?
care for people who are too young or injured or unable to help?

obtaining food and water?

language, which might include:

translations?
signs?
help for tourists?noish or yope to all, in the sense that it's much more general

Post Number: 290
Posted on Friday, August 12, 2011 - 5:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

More general. Okay.

Alerting neighbors and relatives that we survived the disaster?
Alerting authorities that we have not heard from them, and please send help?

Alerting authorities where there are power lines down?

Contacting agencies which deal with social problems, including disasters, and offering to provide clothing, canned food, Kotex, that sort of thing?

Using videocam (or the like) to document damage, in order to show the footage to insurance agencies?

Am I still being too specific?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 7069
Posted on Friday, August 12, 2011 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Post Number: 290

Posted on Friday, August 12, 2011 - 5:13 am: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
More general. Okay.

Alerting neighbors and relatives that we survived the disaster? no
Alerting authorities that we have not heard from them, and please send help? no

Alerting authorities where there are power lines down? no

Contacting agencies which deal with social problems, including disasters, and offering to provide clothing, canned food, Kotex, that sort of thing? no

Using videocam (or the like) to document damage, in order to show the footage to insurance agencies? no

Am I still being too specific? yes
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 1544
Posted on Saturday, August 13, 2011 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

panic?
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 1545
Posted on Saturday, August 13, 2011 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

sorry, I shold have said "don't panic"

Post Number: 303
Posted on Saturday, August 13, 2011 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Shez, you crack me up!

And I'm guessing that the answer to "the best things you can do in response to a large-scale disaster" is not driving around.

Or, possibly, getting drunk.

Does it relate, in ANY way, with contacting authorities, or at least contacting friends and family?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 7071
Posted on Saturday, August 13, 2011 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 1544

Posted on Saturday, August 13, 2011 - 9:46 am: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
panic? no
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 1545

Posted on Saturday, August 13, 2011 - 9:47 am: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
sorry, I shold have said "don't panic" no

Post Number: 303

Posted on Saturday, August 13, 2011 - 10:16 am: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Shez, you crack me up!

And I'm guessing that the answer to "the best things you can do in response to a large-scale disaster" is not driving around.no, that's not it

Or, possibly, getting drunk. no. If you can't help, why not get drunk, if that's what floats your boat?

Does it relate, in ANY way, with contacting authorities, or at least contacting friends and family? no
Wunderland (Wunderland)
Username: Wunderland

Post Number: 1370
Posted on Sunday, August 14, 2011 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would it require:
Going to, or being in, a particular place?
Communicating with others?
Spending money?
Using technology?
Avoiding one or more of the above?

Is it as general as "help out in some way"?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 7075
Posted on Sunday, August 14, 2011 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wunderland (Wunderland)

Post Number: 1370

Posted on Sunday, August 14, 2011 - 4:48 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Would it require:
Going to, or being in, a particular place?no
Communicating with others?yope or noish
Spending money? yes
Using technology? noish
Avoiding one or more of the above? no

Is it as general as "help out in some way"? no
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 1556
Posted on Monday, August 15, 2011 - 8:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

stockpiling?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 7081
Posted on Monday, August 15, 2011 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 1556

Posted on Monday, August 15, 2011 - 8:22 am: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
stockpiling? no
Galfisk (Galfisk)
Username: Galfisk

Post Number: 4091
Posted on Tuesday, August 16, 2011 - 8:02 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Spending money: buying things? Buying services? Giving money away? Paying taxes?
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 1561
Posted on Tuesday, August 16, 2011 - 8:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

going to have a look?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 7083
Posted on Tuesday, August 16, 2011 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Galfisk (Galfisk)
Username: Galfisk

Post Number: 4091

Posted on Tuesday, August 16, 2011 - 8:02 am: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Spending money: buying things?no Buying services? no Giving money away? yes Paying taxes? no
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 1561

Posted on Tuesday, August 16, 2011 - 8:08 am: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
going to have a look? no
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 14309
Posted on Tuesday, August 16, 2011 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Splurging for yourself one day and donating the equivalent amount? Or just donating the amount you would've splurged?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 7085
Posted on Tuesday, August 16, 2011 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 14309

Posted on Tuesday, August 16, 2011 - 7:33 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Splurging for yourself one day and donating the equivalent amount? No. (Are you thinking of my earlier puzzle(a few years ago) along these lines?Or just donating the amount you would've splurged? no
Wunderland (Wunderland)

Post Number: 1372
Posted on Tuesday, August 16, 2011 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Giving away a specific amount of money?

Giving money away: to charity? a specific charity? directly to people affected by the disaster? to someone else who is trying to help? to someone or something not connected to the disaster?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 14313
Posted on Tuesday, August 16, 2011 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, I was.
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 7087
Posted on Tuesday, August 16, 2011 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wunderland (Wunderland)

Post Number: 1372

Posted on Tuesday, August 16, 2011 - 8:42 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Giving away a specific amount of money? no|

Giving money away: to charity? yes a specific charity? nodirectly to people affected by the disaster? no to someone else who is trying to help? no to someone or something not connected to the disaster? yes

******* SPOILER ************
A few years ago, I recently read the following good advice: When a huge disaster strikes, like 9/11 or the Tsunami in Japan, many people focus their charitable contributions on relief for that disaster. So ongoing needs, which may be just as dire but less dramatic (like money for mosquito nets to combat malaria) get shortchanged. So a good response to a disaster is to send money to an unrelated cause. . .although if everyone takes this advice, it won't be as valuable. A good response to a spoiled puzzle is to check out my new one you know where.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 14323
Posted on Wednesday, August 17, 2011 - 12:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Never thought about it that way -- interesting!
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 1564
Posted on Wednesday, August 17, 2011 - 8:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

that's interesting, I shall have to do that

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: