[Nimue] Rare Reason Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - August 2011 » [Nimue] Rare Reason « Previous Next »

Nimue (Nimue)
Username: Nimue

Post Number: 7111
Posted on Sunday, August 21, 2011 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Vivi has the commonsense view that Jews are no better or worse than other people. She moves in liberal American circles, has never encountered anti-Semitism, and does not expect to. Neither she nor anyone else in her family has or fears having any genetic disease that is more common among Jews than elsewhere. Yet Vivi wishes she weren't Jewish. How come? (By the way, the answer has NO potential for offending anyone.)
Kdoc (Kdoc)
Username: Kdoc

Post Number: 1216
Posted on Sunday, August 21, 2011 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

does this relate to Jewish religious practices? ceremonies? special days?
are any of these relevant: families? family customs? education? physical appearance? travel? animals? food? music? art? education? literature? romance? laws? work? clothing? names?
does this relate to the way people treat her? to assumptions they make about her?
would she still prefer not to be jewish even if no one knew she was?

does she think she would gain a benefit from not being jewish? financial? social? emotional? work related? romantic?
does she think she would avoid a disbenefit by not being Jewish? (same list as above)

is Israel relevant? politics relevant?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 7116
Posted on Sunday, August 21, 2011 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Post Number: 1216

Posted on Sunday, August 21, 2011 - 8:26 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
does this relate to Jewish religious practices? noceremonies? nospecial days? no
are any of these relevant: families? no family customs? no education? no physical appearance? no travel? yope animals? no food? no music? no art? noeducation? noliterature? no romance? nolaws? nowork? no clothing? no names? yes
does this relate to the way people treat her? yesish to assumptions they make about her?yope
would she still prefer not to be jewish even if no one knew she was? noish

does she think she would gain a benefit from not being jewish? yesfinancial? no social? yesemotional? yes work related? noromantic? possibly
does she think she would avoid a disbenefit by not being Jewish? (same list as above) same answers as above

is Israel relevant? nopolitics relevant? no
Kdoc (Kdoc)

Post Number: 1219
Posted on Sunday, August 21, 2011 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

so does her wish come because of her name? someone else's name? someone specific? 'jewish' names generally relevant?

is there a name she would like to have but it would sound odd/wrong for a jewish person?

does this relate to a change of name on marriage?
does she think it would be difficult to change her name to her future husband's name because she is jewish?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 7120
Posted on Sunday, August 21, 2011 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kdoc (Kdoc)

Post Number: 1219

Posted on Sunday, August 21, 2011 - 8:43 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
so does her wish come because of her name? yopesomeone else's name? no someone specific? no 'jewish' names generally relevant? no

is there a name she would like to have but it would sound odd/wrong for a jewish person? no

does this relate to a change of name on marriage?\
b{ no}
does she think it would be difficult to change her name to her future husband's name because she is jewish? no
Fionakelleghan (Fionakelleghan)
Username: Fionakelleghan

Post Number: 319
Posted on Sunday, August 21, 2011 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wait, hold the phone - Nimue, honey, I'm slow with this puzzle.

And I'm not going to be disingenuous and pretend I think that Vivi is a goldfish, or something.

I'm a well-educated, religion-ignorant, middle-class American who is ignorant of most religious practices. (My fault. I just never bothered to learn.)

So, knowing what you know about me now, can I still figure this out? Or do I need to ask, loike, religious questions?

I know I sound like an idiot. That doesn't embarrass me, if my ignorance will provide a clue or an answer.

Hugs from Fiona
and from Miami, where we are having scary weather!
Kdoc (Kdoc)

Post Number: 1222
Posted on Sunday, August 21, 2011 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

when you say she does not wish to be jewish do you actually mean that she wishes to be something else?

you say that travel is 'yopishly' relevant - is travel in a particular vehicle relevant? public transport? passports? security at airports?
does her name cause a problem of some sort that would be better if she were not jewish? or were something else?

is travel to other countries relevant? interacting with people foreign to her?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 7123
Posted on Sunday, August 21, 2011 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Post Number: 319

Posted on Sunday, August 21, 2011 - 9:13 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Wait, hold the phone - Nimue, honey, I'm slow with this puzzle.

And I'm not going to be disingenuous and pretend I think that Vivi is a goldfish, or something.Are there Jewish goldfish? My parents are Jewish & my family had a goldfish (which figured in a past puzzle, by the way), but even if it was a Jewish goldfish (?!), I doubt that it wished it weren't Jewish.

I'm a well-educated, religion-ignorant, middle-class American who is ignorant of most religious practices. (My fault. I just never bothered to learn.) You don't need to know ANYTHING about Jewish religious practices. They're all IRREL.

So, knowing what you know about me now, can I still figure this out? yesOr do I need to ask, loike, religious questions? not at all

I know I sound like an idiot. No, you don't. I know almost nothing about Islam, Shinto, & many other religions. I opted out of Judaism so early (when I was 12) that I don't know much about that, either. That doesn't embarrass me, if my ignorance will provide a clue or an answer.

Hugs from Fiona
and from Miami, where we are having scary weather! Good luck!!
Kdoc (Kdoc)

Post Number: 1222

Posted on Sunday, August 21, 2011 - 9:15 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
when you say she does not wish to be jewish do you actually mean that she wishes to be something else? no

you say that travel is 'yopishly' relevant - is travel in a particular vehicle relevant? nopublic transport? nopassports? nosecurity at airports? no
does her name cause a problem of some sort that would be better if she were not jewish? or were something else? no

is travel to other countries relevant? possiblyinteracting with people foreign to her? possibly
Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 14421
Posted on Monday, August 22, 2011 - 2:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does she have a common Jewish last name? Are any anti-Semitic attitudes relevant?
Shez (Shez)
Username: Shez

Post Number: 1635
Posted on Monday, August 22, 2011 - 8:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

does she have a surname which sounds very Jewish? or sounds funny in English?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 7133
Posted on Monday, August 22, 2011 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 14421

Posted on Monday, August 22, 2011 - 2:50 am: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Does she have a common Jewish last name? irrel Are any anti-Semitic attitudes relevant? no
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 1635

Posted on Monday, August 22, 2011 - 8:54 am: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
does she have a surname which sounds very Jewish? irrel or sounds funny in English? irrel
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 14427
Posted on Monday, August 22, 2011 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are Jewish cultural practices relevant?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 7136
Posted on Monday, August 22, 2011 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 14427

Posted on Monday, August 22, 2011 - 10:02 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Are Jewish cultural practices relevant? no
Galfisk (Galfisk)
Username: Galfisk

Post Number: 4209
Posted on Tuesday, August 23, 2011 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does she wish she had another name? If she had a non-Jewish name, would she still wish she was not Jewish? Is the name "Vivi" relevant?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 7141
Posted on Tuesday, August 23, 2011 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 4209

Posted on Tuesday, August 23, 2011 - 1:20 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Does she wish she had another name? noIf she had a non-Jewish name, would she still wish she was not Jewish? Whether she has a Jewish name is irrel. As far as I know, 'Vivi' is not a particularly Jewish name.}Is the name "Vivi" relevant? yes
Doriana (Doriana)
Username: Doriana

Post Number: 1859
Posted on Tuesday, August 23, 2011 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is Vivi short for a longer name? Vivian maybe?
Is her last name relevant?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 7142
Posted on Tuesday, August 23, 2011 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 1859

Posted on Tuesday, August 23, 2011 - 6:56 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Is Vivi short for a longer name? irrel Vivian maybe? irrel
Is her last name relevant? yes
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 14454
Posted on Tuesday, August 23, 2011 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does her first+last name sound like a word? Sound embarrassing? Something like "Vivi Section" (although I highly doubt that's it)? In English? In Hebrew?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 7146
Posted on Tuesday, August 23, 2011 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 14454

Posted on Tuesday, August 23, 2011 - 8:31 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Does her first+last name sound like a word? no Sound embarrassing? no Something like "Vivi Section" (although I highly doubt that's it)? no In English? no In Hebrew? no
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 1860
Posted on Tuesday, August 23, 2011 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would it help us to figure out her exact last name?

Do people make fun of her because of her name?

Is it relevant whether she is in a relationship?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 7147
Posted on Tuesday, August 23, 2011 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 1860

Posted on Tuesday, August 23, 2011 - 9:04 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Would it help us to figure out her exact last name?you don't need her exact last name, just the relevant feature: That's a HINT

Do people make fun of her because of her name? no

Is it relevant whether she is in a relationship? no
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 1861
Posted on Tuesday, August 23, 2011 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does it rhyme with her first name?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 7148
Posted on Tuesday, August 23, 2011 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 1861

Posted on Tuesday, August 23, 2011 - 9:59 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Does it rhyme with her first name? no

Post Number: 328
Posted on Wednesday, August 24, 2011 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Should we maybe think of names similar to Costello, which is a good old Irish name but sounds Italian?

(And I *died* about your goldfish. Sorry! :D)
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 1863
Posted on Wednesday, August 24, 2011 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The relevant feature of her name, is it related to its spelling? pronunciation? origin? meaning? length? Is it hyphenated? Does it belong to a group of last names that share the relevant feature?

Does she have a middle name? Relevant?
Solitiare (Solitiare)
Username: Solitiare

Post Number: 159
Posted on Wednesday, August 24, 2011 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is her name one that is famous or infamous in another context, & therefore she wishes she didn't have it, e.g. Einstein?
or it just sounds humurous, e.g. Finklestein?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 7152
Posted on Wednesday, August 24, 2011 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Post Number: 328

Posted on Wednesday, August 24, 2011 - 9:10 am: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Should we maybe think of names similar to Costello, which is a good old Irish name but sounds Italian? no

(And I *died* about your goldfish. Sorry! Don't be sorry. It was fun!! :D)
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 1863

Posted on Wednesday, August 24, 2011 - 5:07 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
The relevant feature of her name, is it related to its spelling? no pronunciation? yes origin? no meaning? no length? no Is it hyphenated? irrel Does it belong to a group of last names that share the relevant feature? yes

Does she have a middle name? irrel Relevant? no
Solitiare (Solitiare)

Post Number: 159

Posted on Wednesday, August 24, 2011 - 6:07 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Is her name one that is famous or infamous in another context, & therefore she wishes she didn't have it, e.g. Einstein? no
or it just sounds humurous, e.g. Finklestein? No. I always thought that name was hilarious, & I grew up in a Jewish community where I actually knew people who had it!
Solitiare (Solitiare)

Post Number: 161
Posted on Wednesday, August 24, 2011 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't know any Finklesteins, but I do know a family named Fink, and there is a town in Texas called Fink. Wonder what its residents call themselves - Finksters? Finkonians?

However - the relevant feature: is it the last part of the name [stein, son, etc?] Or a preceding part of the name, such as 'de'?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 7157
Posted on Wednesday, August 24, 2011 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Solitiare (Solitiare)

Post Number: 161

Posted on Wednesday, August 24, 2011 - 10:58 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
I don't know any Finklesteins, but I do know a family named Fink, and there is a town in Texas called Fink. Wonder what its residents call themselves - Finksters? Finkonians? Finks, of course!!

However - the relevant feature: is it the last part of the name [stein, son, etc?Irrel, & remember, it's also irrel whether her name is Jewish Or a preceding part of the name, such as 'de'?where it occurs in the name is irrel
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 4237
Posted on Thursday, August 25, 2011 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jewish language relevant? Jewish pronunciation? Do people say her name differently because she's Jewish? Or does she?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 7161
Posted on Thursday, August 25, 2011 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 4237

Posted on Thursday, August 25, 2011 - 1:31 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Jewish language relevant? no Jewish pronunciation? no Do people say her name differently because she's Jewish? no Or does she? no
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 1679
Posted on Friday, August 26, 2011 - 8:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

does she share this name with someone famous or even notorious?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 7162
Posted on Friday, August 26, 2011 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 1679

Posted on Friday, August 26, 2011 - 8:36 am: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
does she share this name with someone famous or even notorious? no
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 1903
Posted on Monday, August 29, 2011 - 8:38 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Looks like we're stuck - could you give us a hint?
Sundowner (Sundowner)
Username: Sundowner

Post Number: 905
Posted on Monday, August 29, 2011 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was her name constantly pronounced wrongly?
Did her name sound in some way funny? ridiculous? strange? when pronounced wrongly? when pronounced correctly?
Is the Jewish pronounciation of her name completely different from the English one? so different that she does not even recognize it?
Did Vivi grow up in America?
Relevant that Vivi is not a particular Jewish first name?
Is the spelling of the name relevant? Is her name often spelled wrongly because people spell it as they pronounce it?
Does Vivi want to change her name because of spelling/pronounciation difficulties?
Does her name sound Jewish but actually is not?
(like "Finkenstein")
Solitiare (Solitiare)

Post Number: 179
Posted on Monday, August 29, 2011 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are middle names relevant?
or hyphens?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 7164
Posted on Monday, August 29, 2011 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Solitiare (Solitiare)

Post Number: 179

Posted on Monday, August 29, 2011 - 4:25 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Are middle names relevant?no or maybe noish
or hyphens? no
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 14593
Posted on Monday, August 29, 2011 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You missed Sundowner's questions...
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 7174
Posted on Monday, August 29, 2011 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sundowner (Sundowner)
Username: Sundowner

Post Number: 905

Posted on Monday, August 29, 2011 - 11:18 am: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Was her name constantly pronounced wrongly? no
Did her name sound in some way funny? no ridiculous? no strange? no when pronounced wrongly? no when pronounced correctly? no
Is the Jewish pronounciation of her name completely different from the English one? irrel so different that she does not even recognize it? irrel
Did Vivi grow up in America? yes
Relevant that Vivi is not a particular Jewish first name? no. Remember, it is TOTALLY IRREL whether her name is or sounds Jewish
Is the spelling of the name relevant? yesIs her name often spelled wrongly because people spell it as they pronounce it? no
Does Vivi want to change her name because of spelling/pronounciation difficulties? no
Does her name sound Jewish but actually is not? irrel
(like "Finkenstein")
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 7175
Posted on Monday, August 29, 2011 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 14593

Posted on Monday, August 29, 2011 - 10:52 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
You missed Sundowner's questions... Rectified with my humble apologies!!
Solitiare (Solitiare)

Post Number: 181
Posted on Tuesday, August 30, 2011 - 12:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does she disllike her name because it reminds her of a relative she dislikes? or an ex-relative?
Don't think we have established if it was her born name or her married name (assuming she is not a Lucy Stoner). Is this relevant?
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 4300
Posted on Tuesday, August 30, 2011 - 12:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lucy Stoner? o.O
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 14599
Posted on Tuesday, August 30, 2011 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kaylee: Lucy Stone was the first woman not to change her name at marriage. Since this happened before the suffrage movement (or at least in its earlier stages), it caused a lot of fuss and brouhaha. Even today, women who do not take their husband's last name at marriage are called "Lucy Stoners."
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 4301
Posted on Tuesday, August 30, 2011 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

oh! makez sense nao, thanx balin kitteh. It's just...you know, *stoner*. *headdesk* Not the best appellation...but I see why now.
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 7177
Posted on Tuesday, August 30, 2011 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Solitiare (Solitiare)

Post Number: 181

Posted on Tuesday, August 30, 2011 - 12:29 am: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Does she disllike her name because it reminds her of a relative she dislikes?no or an ex-relative?no
Don't think we have established if it was her born name or her married name (assuming she is not a Lucy Stoner). Is this relevant? no
Kdoc (Kdoc)

Post Number: 1227
Posted on Tuesday, August 30, 2011 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

so she has a relevant last name? which isn't necessarily 'Jewish'?
is it relevant the way her first name interacts with her last name? do they together form some word? or some sound which is funny/odd to Jewish people? but wouldn't be to non Jewish people?
does her first name have some relevance to Jewish people that it wouldn't to non Jewish? or her last name?

does her name seem to say something about her? that she dislikes? something that Jewish people would be more likely to see/understand?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 7178
Posted on Tuesday, August 30, 2011 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kdoc (Kdoc)

Post Number: 1227

Posted on Tuesday, August 30, 2011 - 9:49 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
so she has a relevant last name? yes, but her first name is also relevant which isn't necessarily 'Jewish'? whether either of her names is Jewish is irrel
is it relevant the way her first name interacts with her last name? noish do they together form some word?b{ no} or some sound which is funny/odd to Jewish people? No. By the way, why do you say 'Jewish people' instead of Jews'? 'Jew' is not derogatory; lots of people, including my own parents, are happy to call themselves Jews. but wouldn't be to non Jewish people? no
does her first name have some relevance to Jewish people that it wouldn't to non Jewish? no or her last name? no

does her name seem to say something about her? nothat she dislikes? no something that Jewish people would be more likely to see/understand? no
Wunderland (Wunderland)
Username: Wunderland

Post Number: 1376
Posted on Tuesday, August 30, 2011 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does she dislike her name?
Does she think that if she were not Jewish:
- she would have a different name?
- she would be happier with her current name?

Does the name "Vivi" have the same relevant feature as her last name? or a complementary feature?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 7179
Posted on Tuesday, August 30, 2011 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wunderland (Wunderland)

Post Number: 1376

Posted on Tuesday, August 30, 2011 - 11:21 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Does she dislike her name? no
Does she think that if she were not Jewish:
- she would have a different name? no
- she would be happier with her current name? no. She is happy with her name!

Does the name "Vivi" have the same relevant feature as her last name? yesor a complementary feature? no
Solitiare (Solitiare)

Post Number: 190
Posted on Tuesday, August 30, 2011 - 11:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does her name suggest that she is more religious than she is? or less so?

Is it what might be called a 'pagan' name, like Diana (or something of that sort.)
Wunderland (Wunderland)

Post Number: 1377
Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2011 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Relevant feature of the name Vivi that her surname shares:
begins with a consonant?
begins with V?
ends with a vowel?
ends with I?
has 4 letters?
second half repeats first half?
resembles roman numerals?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 7180
Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2011 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Solitiare (Solitiare)

Post Number: 190

Posted on Tuesday, August 30, 2011 - 11:59 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Does her name suggest that she is more religious than she is?noor less so? no

Is it what might be called a 'pagan' name, like Diana (or something of that sort.)No, it's Vivi
Wunderland (Wunderland)

Post Number: 1377

Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2011 - 11:18 am: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
begins with a consonant? irrel
begins with V? irrel
ends with a vowel? irrel
ends with I? irrel
has 4 letters? irrel
second half repeats first half? irrel
resembles roman numerals? irrel
Wunderland (Wunderland)

Post Number: 1378
Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2011 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Urgh, I misread some previous answers about spelling and pronunciation.

two syllables?
two identical syllables?
easy to pronounce?

Is the pronunciation of the words "Jew" or "Jewish" relevant?

Is Vivi an adult?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 7182
Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2011 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wunderland (Wunderland)

Post Number: 1378

Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2011 - 8:04 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Urgh, I misread some previous answers about spelling and pronunciation.

two syllables? no
two identical syllables? no
easy to pronounce? yes

Is the pronunciation of the words "Jew" or "Jewish" relevant? YES!!! GOOOOOOOOOOD QUESTION -- THE BEST ONE SO FAR!!

Is Vivi an adult? possibly, but she's more likely to be a child. Another GOOOOOOOOOOOD question!!
Wunderland (Wunderland)

Post Number: 1379
Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2011 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does she have a speech impediment? Or is she a non-native English speaker? Or a young child still learning to speak? Does she find the word "Jewish" difficult to pronounce?
Gregoryuconn (Gregoryuconn)
Username: Gregoryuconn

Post Number: 1528
Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2011 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Smith? Jones? (My dentist goes to my temple and is named Michael Smith. There are three dentists named Michael Smith in the phone book, and about six pages of Michael Smiths in the white pages.)
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 7183
Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2011 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wunderland (Wunderland)

Post Number: 1379

Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2011 - 8:48 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Does she have a speech impediment? YES!!!!! Or is she a non-native English speaker? no Or a young child still learning to speak? noDoes she find the word "Jewish" difficult to pronounce? YES!!! She can't make the "j" sound
Gregoryuconn (Gregoryuconn)
Username: Gregoryuconn

Post Number: 1528

Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2011 - 8:58 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Smith? Jones? Her last name could be Smith but not Jones. Now the puzzle should be EASY TO SOLVE!!(My dentist goes to my temple and is named Michael Smith. There are three dentists named Michael Smith in the phone book, and about six pages of Michael Smiths in the white pages.)
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 14637
Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2011 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do people assume she's being anti-Semitic when she says the word "Jew" or "Jewish"? Because of the way she pronounces it?

Does she pronounce it "Ew/Ewish"? "Hew/Hewish?" "Yew/Yewish?"
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 7186
Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2011 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 14637

Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2011 - 9:30 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Do people assume she's being anti-Semitic when she says the word "Jew" or "Jewish"? no Because of the way she pronounces it? no

Does she pronounce it "Ew/Ewish"? "Hew/Hewish?" "Yew/Yewish?" no to all
Wunderland (Wunderland)

Post Number: 1380
Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2011 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is she trying to hide her speech impediment? or simply to avoid the difficulty of overcoming it? and her name helps because it doesn't contain any J sounds, but if she tries to talk about her religion, she has to (mis)pronounce the J?
Is it relevant precisely how she mispronounces the J? does it make the words "Jew" or "Jewish" sound like specific other words?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 7189
Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2011 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wunderland (Wunderland)

Post Number: 1380

Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2011 - 9:53 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Is she trying to hide her speech impediment? yes or simply to avoid the difficulty of overcoming it? see previous answerand her name helps because it doesn't contain any J sounds, but if she tries to talk about her religion, she has to (mis)pronounce the J? yes
Is it relevant precisely how she mispronounces the J? no does it make the words "Jew" or "Jewish" sound like specific other words? no

This is close enough for me to declare a

********* SPOILER *************
Vivi has a speech impediment & can't make the 'j' sound. She is self-conscious about this, so when there is a word with this sound, she uses a substitute whenever she can ('preserves' instead of 'jam,' for example). But there really aren't any substitutes for 'Jew,' "Jewish,' or 'Judaism.' The relevance of her name is that if it also had the 'J' sound, being Jewish would be the least of her worries, because she wouldn't be able to hide her impediment at all if she were named, say, 'Georgette Janowitz.' Thanks to everyone for sticking with it & to Wunderland for solving it & for Gregoryuconn for paving the way. Please check out my new puzzle you know where.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: