[Sundowner] Gloves Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - August 2011 » [Sundowner] Gloves « Previous Next »

Sundowner (Sundowner)
Username: Sundowner

Post Number: 880
Posted on Wednesday, August 24, 2011 - 2:02 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Two persons are sitting on the ground with a pile of brand new leather gloves between them. They are taking each pair of gloves, separate the right one from the left one, and throw the right one into a pile to the right of the original pile, and the left one into another pile to the left.

What is going on?
Ciaobella (Ciaobella)
Username: Ciaobella

Post Number: 17
Posted on Wednesday, August 24, 2011 - 2:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are they doing something that most people would consider to be kind? useful? deviant? criminal? rational?
Biograd (Biograd)
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 1851
Posted on Wednesday, August 24, 2011 - 4:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are the gloves baseball mitts? Are they separating them so that right-handed people will pick from one pile and left-handed people from the other?
Sundowner (Sundowner)

Post Number: 883
Posted on Wednesday, August 24, 2011 - 7:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ciaobella
Are they doing something that most people would consider to be kind? Not really. useful? Depends on the point of view. For themselves, it was definitely useful. deviant? No. criminal? Yes. rational? Yes.

Biograd
Are the gloves baseball mitts? No, ordinary gloves you wear in winter. Are they separating them so that right-handed people will pick from one pile and left-handed people from the other? No.
Yatin509 (Yatin509)
Username: Yatin509

Post Number: 237
Posted on Wednesday, August 24, 2011 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you saw it in a movie?(Cause I remember a scene from a movie,it was to save Custom Duties)
Your Imagination?
Some News?

Will they make some profit by doing this?

Did they hid something in the gloves?

Smuggling relevant? Were they going to hide some gold in the gloves?

The Leather relevant? Of which animal?
Sundowner (Sundowner)

Post Number: 884
Posted on Wednesday, August 24, 2011 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yatin509
Did you saw it in a movie?(Cause I remember a scene from a movie,it was to save Custom Duties) I read it in a book, but saving custom duties is very relevant.
Your Imagination?
Some News?

Will they make some profit by doing this? Yes.

Did they hid something in the gloves? No.

Smuggling relevant? Yes. Were they going to hide some gold in the gloves? But no.

The Leather relevant? Of which animal? Not really.
Galfisk (Galfisk)
Username: Galfisk

Post Number: 4218
Posted on Wednesday, August 24, 2011 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Will they smuggle the gloves themselves? Use them to smuggle something else? Are they expensive gloves? Relevant?
Shez (Shez)
Username: Shez

Post Number: 1672
Posted on Wednesday, August 24, 2011 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

are they going to pretend the gloves are for disabled people and claim some sort of tax exemption and then later reunite the pairs of gloves?
Yatin509 (Yatin509)

Post Number: 239
Posted on Wednesday, August 24, 2011 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You said saving custom duties is very relevant so...

Is it about the time when high taxes were imposed on imports of goods(I mean simple goods). These people are going to take the gloves to different ports where they will pretend that they received the wrong gloves and will not take them. After when the custom people will auction the gloves. The Smugglers would buy them from different ports and unite them and then sell them without paying the custom duties. Hence earn a large profit?
Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 14476
Posted on Wednesday, August 24, 2011 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I know this story, I think, but it looks like Yatin might have beat me to it...
Ciaobella (Ciaobella)

Post Number: 24
Posted on Wednesday, August 24, 2011 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Era relevant? Drugs relevant?
Sundowner (Sundowner)

Post Number: 889
Posted on Thursday, August 25, 2011 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You're all so clever ...

Galfisk
Will they smuggle the gloves themselves? Yes. Use them to smuggle something else? So, no. Are they expensive gloves? Yes. Relevant? Somewhat.

Shez
are they going to pretend the gloves are for disabled people and claim some sort of tax exemption No. and then later reunite the pairs of gloves? But yes to this part.

Yatin509
You said saving custom duties is very relevant so...

Is it about the time when high taxes were imposed on imports of goods(I mean simple goods). These people are going to take the gloves to different ports where they will pretend that they received the wrong gloves and will not take them. After when the custom people will auction the gloves. The Smugglers would buy them from different ports and unite them and then sell them without paying the custom duties. Hence earn a large profit? Yes. That's it, exactly.

Balin
I know this story, I think, but it looks like Yatin might have beat me to it... But only by 42 minutes. You know, 42 is the answer to everything ...

Ciaobella
Era relevant? 19th century. Relevant insofar as this scheme probably would not work in our days any more. Drugs relevant? No.
Galfisk (Galfisk)
Username: Galfisk

Post Number: 4231
Posted on Thursday, August 25, 2011 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Will people wear the gloves when smuggling them? Will they be hidden? Packaged? Labeled in a certain way? Do the smugglers think customs will see the gloves? Customs rules/regulations relevant? Will transporting a bunch of left gloves across the border actually be legal? Or at least be OKed by customs? Are all gloves the same? Or are they all different? Relevant?
Sundowner (Sundowner)

Post Number: 894
Posted on Thursday, August 25, 2011 - 11:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Galfisk
Will people wear the gloves when smuggling them? No. Will they be hidden? Yes. Packaged? Yes. Labeled in a certain way? Yes, "Finest contraband goods". : ) -- No, seriously, they were not labeled. Do the smugglers think customs will see the gloves? At least they considered the possibility. Customs rules/regulations relevant? Yes(ish). Will transporting a bunch of left gloves across the border actually be legal? No. Or at least be OKed by customs? Neither. Are all gloves the same? Likely. Or are they all different? Relevant? Makes it easier to reunite the pairs.
Sundowner (Sundowner)

Post Number: 895
Posted on Friday, August 26, 2011 - 12:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As Yatin509 has found out the basics of it I might as well declare a

SPOILER

Two persons are sitting on the ground with a pile of brand new leather gloves between them. They are taking each pair of gloves, separate the right one from the left one, and throw the right one into a pile to the right of the original pile, and the left one into another pile to the left.

During the 19th century Paris was the center of the production of leather gloves, purses, wallets and other fine leather accessories in Europe. The German rulers imposed high import duties on leather products from Paris in order to protect the local manufacturers. High import duties almost call for smuggling.

There is anecdotical evidence that left and right gloves were smuggled separately, on different trails far from each other. If the customs caught a smuggler they confiscated the gloves and sold them later at an auction. But who would buy a batch of left gloves only? So the smugglers could buy back the gloves at a low price and had only very little money at risk in their business.

Thanks for participating, this was rather fast.
Congrats to Yatin509, Balin, Galfisk, Ciaobella for working this out.
Ciaobella (Ciaobella)

Post Number: 41
Posted on Friday, August 26, 2011 - 5:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's certainly an interesting way around it. Thank you for this puzzle, Sundowner!
Yatin509 (Yatin509)

Post Number: 253
Posted on Friday, August 26, 2011 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This was fast because we knew it. I think I shouldn't had taken part. I Spoiled the fun of so many people. My Apologies ):
Shez (Shez)
Username: Shez

Post Number: 1694
Posted on Friday, August 26, 2011 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

don't be so hard on yourself Yatin. You might have thought you knew it and been totally wrong!

the other day i suggested something in a jokey manner and afterwards I was horrified that it turned out to be right. these things happen
Yatin509 (Yatin509)

Post Number: 254
Posted on Saturday, August 27, 2011 - 6:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

(:
Sundowner (Sundowner)

Post Number: 903
Posted on Monday, August 29, 2011 - 8:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm glad you enjoyed it.
There is no need to apologize, Yatin. I for myself prefer puzzles that got solved fast. (:

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: