[Balin] Experimental Film: A strange ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - August 2011 » [Balin] Experimental Film: A strange sort of connections puzzle « Previous Next »

Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 14479
Posted on Wednesday, August 24, 2011 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm going to take a chance with this puzzle: I think it'll either flop or go really well. I'm hoping it's not too much of a pain in the fundament, but what the hey. At the very least, I hope you give it a shot, and if it flops, it flops. The instructions will give examples (in red) to guide you along.

Instructions: Each of the items in the list is a clue, similar to idiomuzzles or short connections, to another word. (Ex: "sensing a sense" would be FEEL; "a sad bird" would be DOVE (as in mourning dove).

Once all the words in the list have been determined, sets of them must be phonetically put together to make a phrase, word, title, etc. There are five phrases/words/whatnots, all of which are part of a single set. (Ex. If you had DOVE, DREAMS, EL, FEEL, NATURE, and THEN, you could put them together like this: FEEL-DOVE-DREAMS (Field of Dreams) and THEN-NATURE-EL (The Natural), which would be in the set of baseball movies.)

Once this first set is discovered, you must determine the "odd one out" among the five (you can guess, or you can just ask which one it is and I'll tell you). The odd one out gives a clue to a second, more personal connection which connects the other four in the set. (Ex: If the movies were Field of Dreams, The Natural, Eight Men Out, Bull Durham, and Stealing Home: Stealing Home would be the odd man out, and the second connection would be "movies which are in my house right now.")

Got it? I hope so. If not, don't worry, it's much simpler than you might think.

Anyway, here's the list (words are in alphabetical order):

What is the final connection between:

-a planetary resident,
-the new average,
-a collect feeling,
-a boss,
-the highest one not to make the grade,
-a Middle Eastern country,
-a well-known Christmas baby,
-a game's first half,
-unusual redness,
-a hacker,
-a sign from a greater authority,
-one of the smaller digits,
-a bisected drum,
-a workmen's location,
and
-where knights are often from?

Good luck; you'll need it.
Kalira (Kalira)
Username: Kalira

Post Number: 729
Posted on Wednesday, August 24, 2011 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OOOOoooOOooOoh... this sounds interesting. Are all of the jumps from your phrases to the sound-alikes essentially single jumps (i.e., from "sensing a sense" to "feel," not from "sensing..." to "feel" to some third word)?

Wrote my guesses as to actual words in regular font and my clarification questions in italics...

Planetary resident: alien?
New average: Cee? Bee? Average as in arithmetic mean? or grade? or neither
Collect feeling: Is this related to calling collect?
Boss: enemy? chief?
Not making grade: F plus? Eff?
M.E. country: Iran? Iraq?
Christmas baby: Jesus?
Game's first half: Is this related to a specific game? sport?
Unusual redness: {with regards to a person, like a sunburn? or just any random thing that might have an unusual redness to it?}
Hacker: lumberjack? sneaker? hacker re:computers?
Sign: omen?
Smaller digit: toe? pinky/ie?
Bisected drum: percu? ssion? timp? Am I vaguely on the right track here?
Workmen's location: site?
Knights are from: Orders? UK?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 14483
Posted on Wednesday, August 24, 2011 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OOOOoooOOooOoh... this sounds interesting. Are all of the jumps from your phrases to the sound-alikes essentially single jumps (i.e., from "sensing a sense" to "feel," not from "sensing..." to "feel" to some third word)? Pretty much, yes. There may be some further extrapolation about certain words in the clue, but no extra jumps will be needed.

Wrote my guesses as to actual words in regular font and my clarification questions in italics...

Planetary resident: alien? No
New average: Cee? Bee? Close enough; I was just looking for B, which should answer the rest of these questions. Average as in arithmetic mean? or grade? or neither
Collect feeling: Is this related to calling collect? No
Boss: enemy? chief? Referring to a chief, but that's not the right word.
Not making grade: F plus? Eff? Right idea, but no.
M.E. country: Iran? Iraq? Neither
Christmas baby: Jesus? No
Game's first half: Is this related to a specific game? Yes sport? Some consider it a sport; others do not.
Unusual redness: {with regards to a person, like a sunburn? No or just any random thing that might have an unusual redness to it? Also no. This clue is a bit trickier; it's more like a cryptic clue.}
Hacker: lumberjack? sneaker? Neither hacker re:computers? No
Sign: omen? No
Smaller digit: toe? pinky/ie? Right idea, wrong appendage.
Bisected drum: percu? ssion? timp? Neither, but... Am I vaguely on the right track here? Not vaguely, but very!
Workmen's location: site? No
Knights are from: Orders? UK? Neither

The new average -> B (In academics, B has replaced C as the average grade. Teachers complain a lot about this.)
Kalira (Kalira)

Post Number: 730
Posted on Wednesday, August 24, 2011 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Planetary resident: animal?
Middle East country: Egypt? Israel? Jordan? Kuwait? Oman?
Smaller digit: Did you see 'toe'? I can't think of appendages other than hand and foot, so I'm hoping you might have missed this one...
Bisected drum: Is the pre-bisected drum a snare? timpani? bongo? tomtom (why do I get the feeling it's this)? Tom?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 14490
Posted on Wednesday, August 24, 2011 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Planetary resident: animal? No, but it's a specific animal
Middle East country: Egypt? Israel? Jordan? Kuwait? Oman? None of these
Smaller digit: Did you see 'toe'? I can't think of appendages other than hand and foot, so I'm hoping you might have missed this one... When you said pinkie I thought of the pinky toe. Don't ask why because I don't know either. It's part of the hand, but not the pinkie.
Bisected drum: Is the pre-bisected drum a snare? timpani? bongo? tomtom (why do I get the feeling it's this)? Because it's correct? =) Tom? Yep!

The new average -> B
A bisected drum -> TOM (half of "tomtom")
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 14494
Posted on Wednesday, August 24, 2011 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Also an FYI: All aids, such as Google, Wikipedia, or Street Shout-Outs, are legal in this puzzle. You may or may not need them (and what third option is there? I've never understood that, and yet here I am, using it. Anyway, mini-rant over).
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 4269
Posted on Wednesday, August 24, 2011 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thumb? index finger? middle finger? ring finger?
iz sad kitteh, iz no haz cheezburgur...iz had salad bar last nite, which iz gud foar kittehz anywai...iz wundrin wut tu haz foar nomz rite nao, haz nawt eated yet...
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 14497
Posted on Thursday, August 25, 2011 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thumb? This one index finger? middle finger? ring finger?

The new average -> B
One of the smaller digits -> THUMB (digit as in finger, not numeral)
A bisected drum -> TOM
Peter365 (Peter365)
Username: Peter365

Post Number: 3567
Posted on Thursday, August 25, 2011 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Great idea for a puzzle Balin

Planetary resident - Earthling?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 3568
Posted on Thursday, August 25, 2011 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Forgot one...

Unusual Redness - Senders?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 14503
Posted on Thursday, August 25, 2011 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Great idea for a puzzle Balin Thanks!

Planetary resident - Earthling? No

Forgot one...

Unusual Redness - Senders? No, but about halfway OTRT. Different kind of cryptic clue
Kalira (Kalira)

Post Number: 731
Posted on Thursday, August 25, 2011 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When you said pinkie I thought of the pinky toe. Ahh, I see. Probably because I put toe first. That's all right, it's been figured out :-)

-a planetary resident: animal probably starting with A? aardvark? albatross? antelope? alligator?
-B
-a collect feeling: collect as in accumulating a number of items? as in the prayer?
-a boss: head? leader? overseer?
-the highest one not to make the grade: failure? flop? Does highest involve elevation? numbers? use of drugs?
-a Middle Eastern country: Bahrain? Lebanon? Cyprus?
-a well-known Christmas baby: Can I invoke the LTPF list of centuries?
-a game's first half: (related to a specific game that some consider a sport) golf? tag? is it multiplayer? involves cards? dice?
-unusual redness: sore? rose?
-a hacker: cougher?
-a sign from a greater authority: sign like a sign on a building or a road sign?
-THUMB
-TOM
-a workmen's location: highway? trailer?
-where knights are often from: literature? Germany? Middle Ages? Britain?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 3569
Posted on Thursday, August 25, 2011 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Unusual redness - Rare?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 14506
Posted on Friday, August 26, 2011 - 2:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When you said pinkie I thought of the pinky toe. Ahh, I see. Probably because I put toe first. That's all right, it's been figured out :-)

-a planetary resident: animal probably starting with A? Yes aardvark? albatross? antelope? alligator? Nope. Wrong planet
-B
-a collect feeling: /i{collect as in accumulating a number of items? as in the prayer?} No. Part of a phrase
-a boss: head? leader? overseer? All good synonyms but No
-the highest one not to make the grade: failure? flop? Neither. You had the right idea with academics Does highest involve elevation? numbers? use of drugs? None of these
-a Middle Eastern country: Bahrain? Lebanon? This one Cyprus?
-a well-known Christmas baby: Can I invoke the LTPF list of centuries? Hmmm...20th, but I believe you have an FA
-a game's first half: (related to a specific game that some consider a sport) golf? tag? is it multiplayer? involves cards? dice? No to all
-unusual redness: sore? rose? Neither but see below
-a hacker: cougher? Nope. You're right in that it depends on a different definition of "hack" than is obvious
-a sign from a greater authority: sign like a sign on a building or a road sign? It is a road sign -- good one
-THUMB
-TOM
-a workmen's location: highway? trailer? Neither
-where knights are often from: literature? Germany? Middle Ages? Britain? No to all but you're getting OTRT with "literature"

Unusual redness - Rare? Exactly.

The new average -> B
A Middle Eastern country -> LEBANON
Unusual redness -> RARE (double definition)
One of the smaller digits -> THUMB
A bisected drum -> TOM

Post Number: 4271
Posted on Friday, August 26, 2011 - 5:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"-a planetary resident: animal probably starting with A? Yes aardvark? albatross? antelope? alligator? Nope. Wrong planet"

Kaylee iz confuseded kitteh =( plz to explain? kthnx balin kitteh.
Shez (Shez)
Username: Shez

Post Number: 1683
Posted on Friday, August 26, 2011 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

a planetary resident - Arcturan?
Christmas baby - Noel?
a collect feeling - get something?
a boss - chief? superior? ruler? captain?
knights - Camelot?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 14512
Posted on Friday, August 26, 2011 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"-a planetary resident: animal probably starting with A? Yes aardvark? albatross? antelope? alligator? Nope. Wrong planet"

Kaylee iz confuseded kitteh =( plz to explain? kthnx balin kitteh. The relevant planet is not Earth (though the animal doth reside on Earth in real life). HINT: The name of the planet has the animal's name in it.

a planetary resident - Arcturan? No
Christmas baby - Noel? No
a collect feeling - get something? No
a boss - chief? superior? ruler? captain? No
knights - Camelot? No
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 3570
Posted on Friday, August 26, 2011 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hacker - Journalism relevant at all?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 14515
Posted on Friday, August 26, 2011 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hacker - Journalism relevant at all? No
Kalira (Kalira)

Post Number: 733
Posted on Friday, August 26, 2011 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

-a planetary resident: so an animal, but not an Earthican one? Is it an alien race (from something sci-fi)? Asgard? Ancient? Andorian?
-B
-the highest one not to make the grade: E? B+? C+? D+?
-LEBANON
-a well-known Christmas baby: baby = human? animal? male? Are any of the following relecant: movies? literature? music?
-a game's first half: single player game/sport?
-RARE
-a hacker: hack = cough? chop off? cut through? cope? side note: hack sure has a lot of synonyms starting with C razor? saw? sword? plasma blade? :-)
-a sign from a greater authority: road sign as in billboard? or something more official (like a speed limit or no turn on red sign, etc)?
-THUMB
-TOM
-where knights are often from: Wales? Ulster? Uther?

Post Number: 4273
Posted on Friday, August 26, 2011 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

where knights are often from: A chessboard? =)

Post Number: 4274
Posted on Friday, August 26, 2011 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

or, failing that; Tintagel, in Cornwall?
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 1691
Posted on Friday, August 26, 2011 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

knights - Malta? round table?
Wunderland (Wunderland)
Username: Wunderland

Post Number: 1374
Posted on Friday, August 26, 2011 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

planetary resident - ape?
Gregoryuconn (Gregoryuconn)
Username: Gregoryuconn

Post Number: 1487
Posted on Sunday, August 28, 2011 - 1:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmmm, am I allowed to look up on Wikipedia people born on December 25 then copy and paste them? Or is that cheating?

A game's first half = opening? Two quarters? Is it a specific game or sport? Or are we speaking in general? If a specific game or sport, soccer? (American) football? baseball? Basketball? (If so, relevant whether college or pro, since college plays two halves and NBA plays four quarters?) Hockey?

Planetary resident = Martian? Venutian? Mercurian?

hacker = a baseball player who swings and misses a lot? If so, a specific one? Does he still play? Mark Reynolds?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 14519
Posted on Sunday, August 28, 2011 - 2:38 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

-a planetary resident: so an animal, but not an Earthican one? No; it is Earthican as well as this planet Is it an alien race (from something sci-fi)? No Asgard? Ancient? Andorian? None of these
-B
-the highest one not to make the grade: E? This one B+? C+? D+?
-LEBANON
-a well-known Christmas baby: baby = human? animal? male? human, male Are any of the following relevant: movies? literature? music? This one is very relevant
-a game's first half: single player game/sport? No
-RARE
-a hacker: hack = cough? chop off? cut through? This cope? side note: hack sure has a lot of synonyms starting with C razor? saw? This sword? plasma blade? :-)
-a sign from a greater authority: road sign as in billboard? No or something more official (like a speed limit or no turn on red sign, etc)? Yes, hence the pun on "greater authority" (but neither of those specific signs)
-THUMB
-TOM
-where knights are often from: Wales? Ulster? Uther? No

where knights are often from: A chessboard? =) No -- interesting thought though. or, failing that; Tintagel, in Cornwall? Also No

knights - Malta? round table? No

planetary resident - ape? Yes

Hmmm, am I allowed to look up on Wikipedia people born on December 25 then copy and paste them? Or is that cheating? You are, but it shows that you have an FA ;-)

A game's first half = opening? Two quarters? Is it a specific game or sport? Yes to this, No to everything else Or are we speaking in general? If a specific game or sport, soccer? (American) football? baseball? Basketball? (If so, relevant whether college or pro, since college plays two halves and NBA plays four quarters?) Hockey?

Planetary resident = Martian? Venutian? Mercurian? None of these

hacker = a baseball player who swings and misses a lot? If so, a specific one? Does he still play? Mark Reynolds? None of these, see above

Already discovered:

B
LEBANON
RARE
THUMB
TOM

Discovered these past posts:

A planetary resident -> APE (Planet of the Apes)
The highest one not to make the grade -> E (highest letter that is not a grade)
A hacker -> SAW (hack as in cut)

Left to determine:

A collect feeling
A boss
A well-known Christmas baby
A game's first half
A sign from a greater authority
A workmen's location
Where knights are often from

Post Number: 4283
Posted on Sunday, August 28, 2011 - 4:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do the knights say "Ni"? Are they from Camelot?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 14538
Posted on Sunday, August 28, 2011 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do the knights say "Ni"? Are they from Camelot? No and No. HINT: Not a location.
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 3571
Posted on Sunday, August 28, 2011 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Boss as in Mafia perhaps? Don? Godfather?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 14551
Posted on Sunday, August 28, 2011 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Boss as in Mafia perhaps? Yes... Don? ...and Yes. Godfather?

A boss -> DON
Ciaobella (Ciaobella)
Username: Ciaobella

Post Number: 59
Posted on Sunday, August 28, 2011 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A collect feeling= composed? Or some variation on the term?
A well-known Christmas baby= Santa (as in Santa Baby, the song)?
A game's first half= something children play? As in hopscotch (in which case, I'd guess "hop" as the first half)?
A sign from a greater authority= stop?
A workmen's location= work? office? or more likely, pub?
Where knights are often from= their mothers? :P history?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 3572
Posted on Monday, August 29, 2011 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A Collect feeling - Gathered?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 3573
Posted on Monday, August 29, 2011 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By games first half do you mean a period of play? or are we being cryptic and it's the first half of the word like Scra for Scrabble?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 14560
Posted on Monday, August 29, 2011 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A collect feeling= composed? No, but see next answer Or some variation on the term? Not "variation," more like "synonym"
A well-known Christmas baby= Santa (as in Santa Baby, the song)? No, not that song (thankfully)
A game's first half= something children play? Anyone can play it As in hopscotch No (in which case, I'd guess "hop" as the first half) You have the right idea of what I meant by "first half" ?
A sign from a greater authority= stop? Yes
A workmen's location= work? office? or more likely, pub? No to all
Where knights are often from= their mothers? :P No, but clever history? Right idea, wrong word

A Collect feeling - Gathered? No

By games first half do you mean a period of play? No or are we being cryptic and it's the first half of the word like Scra for Scrabble? Yes (but not this game)

A sign from a higher authority -> STOP (stop sign, the DOT is the "higher authority")

HINTS:

A collect feeling: Part of a phrase; a synonym for "composed"
A well-known Christmas baby: From a song; not a Christmas song
A game's first half: The first half of the name of the game
A workmen's location: Figure out the specific workmen
Where knights are often from: A synonym of "history" that is often used in relation to knights
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 3574
Posted on Monday, August 29, 2011 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Knights - Middle Ages? Medieval? Days of Yore?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 14565
Posted on Monday, August 29, 2011 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Knights - Middle Ages? Medieval? Days of Yore? This one

Where knights are often from -> YORE
Kalira (Kalira)

Post Number: 734
Posted on Monday, August 29, 2011 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Collect feeling: composed as in calm, cool, controlled? as in made up of? or as in created?

Workmen: construction worker? Is it a more physical type of work? or more mental?

The words so far: APE - B - ___ - DON - E - LEBANON - ___ - ___ - RARE - SAW - STOP - THUMB - TOM - ___ - YORE

There are 15 words total -- we need to break them into five groups, right? Is each group composed of three words?

I think I may have already figured out one group -- LEBANON - APE - RARE = "Livin' on a Prayer"?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 14577
Posted on Monday, August 29, 2011 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Collect feeling: composed as in calm, This, exactly cool, controlled? as in made up of? or as in created?

A collect feeling -> CALM (as in "calm and collected")

Workmen: construction worker? No Is it a more physical type of work? This, and FA or more mental?

The words so far: APE - B - CALM - DON - E - LEBANON - ___ - ___ - RARE - SAW - STOP - THUMB - TOM - ___ - YORE

There are 15 words total -- we need to break them into five groups, right? Yes Is each group composed of three words? No, but most of them are

I think I may have already figured out one group -- LEBANON - APE - RARE = "Livin' on a Prayer"? YES!!

Left to determine:

A well-known Christmas baby
A game's first half
A workmen's location

Groups determined:

LEBANON APE RARE = Livin' on a Prayer

Ungrouped words:

B
CALM
DON
E
SAW
STOP
THUMB
TOM
YORE

Of the three words remaining, two of them are in one group. You have discovered at least one word in every group.
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Username: Ixoye724

Post Number: 3435
Posted on Monday, August 29, 2011 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Christmas baby = Levon?

Game's first half = foot? base? soft?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 14588
Posted on Monday, August 29, 2011 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Christmas baby = Levon? Yes!

Game's first half = foot? base? soft? No. HINT: The game is played with 2 or 4 players.

A well-known Christmas baby -> LEVON (the Elton John song)
Wunderland (Wunderland)
Username: Wunderland

Post Number: 1375
Posted on Monday, August 29, 2011 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

DON STOP B LEVON = don't stop believing?
TOM SAW YORE = tom sawyer?

game's first half = ping (pong)?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 3575
Posted on Tuesday, August 30, 2011 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are the workmen miners? is the word mine or pit?
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 1713
Posted on Tuesday, August 30, 2011 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

a workmen's location - club? dock? nest? (thinking of ants and bees)
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 14597
Posted on Tuesday, August 30, 2011 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

DON STOP B LEVON = don't stop believing?
TOM SAW YORE = tom sawyer?
game's first half = ping (pong)? Three for three!!

Are the workmen miners? is the word mine or pit? No
a workmen's location - club? dock? nest? (thinking of ants and bees) No. HINT: None of the relevant workmen have the same profession.

Undetermined:

A workmen's profession

Groups determined:

DON STOP B LEVON = Don't Stop Believin'
TOM SAW YORE = Tom Sawyer

Remaining words:

CALM
E
PING
THUMB
Kalira (Kalira)

Post Number: 735
Posted on Tuesday, August 30, 2011 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

CALM E = Call Me?

Leaves PING and THUMB... Are the workmen a butcher, baker and candlestick maker? and the location TUB?

TUB THUMB PING = Tubthumping?

Welp, that would definitely make them all songs...
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Username: Ixoye724

Post Number: 3437
Posted on Tuesday, August 30, 2011 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Great suggestions above...
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 14608
Posted on Tuesday, August 30, 2011 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

CALM E = Call Me?

Leaves PING and THUMB... Are the workmen a butcher, baker and candlestick maker? and the location TUB?

TUB THUMB PING = Tubthumping?

Welp, that would definitely make them all songs...

Great suggestions above... ...and all correct ones, too.

All groups have been determined:

LEBANON APE RARE -> Livin' on a Prayer
DON STOP B LEVON -> Don't Stop Believin'
TOM SAW YORE -> Tom Sawyer
CALM E -> Call Me
TUB THUMB PING -> Tubthumping

All of which are rock songs.

I'm going to give you an option here: you can look at the odd man out (which is posted in white below), or not look and try to determine the final connection. Remember, the odd man out gives a hint to the final connection.

THE ODD MAN OUT:
**********Call Me**********
Kalira (Kalira)

Post Number: 736
Posted on Tuesday, August 30, 2011 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

choosing not to look at the odd man out :-)

Looking at the title, does the connection have anything to do with films/movies? photos?

Post Number: 1516
Posted on Tuesday, August 30, 2011 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmm... Some "odd man out" connections:

Tubthumping is one word, the rest are two (or more).
All of them describe actions except "Tom Sawyer".

Post Number: 1517
Posted on Tuesday, August 30, 2011 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh wait, I didn't read right... Let's try that again. I'm still choosing not to look at it. After I post this, I'll look and see.

Is Tubthumping the odd man out? If so, are the others songs you listen to in the shower?

Is Call Me the odd man out? If so, are the others ringtones you have on your phone?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 3577
Posted on Tuesday, August 30, 2011 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Top 25 most played on your iPod relevant?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 14615
Posted on Tuesday, August 30, 2011 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is Call Me the odd man out? If so, are the others ringtones you have on your phone? BRRING BRRRING BRRRRING!!! WE HAVE A WINNER!!

**********SPOILER**********

Words clued to:

A planetary resident = APE (Planet of the Apes)
The new average = B (in academics, a common teacher complaint)
A collect feeling = CALM ("calm and collected")
A boss = DON (think Mafia)
The highest one not to make the grade = E (earliest letter in the alphabet that is not a letter grade)
A Middle Eastern country = LEBANON
A well-known Christmas baby = LEVON (the Elton John song)
A game's first half = PING (ping-pong)
Unusual redness = RARE (cryptic clue; double definition)
A hacker = SAW (hack as to cut)
A sign from a greater authority = STOP (the Dept. of Transportation being the "greater authority"...geddit?)
One of the smaller digits = THUMB (digit as in finger/toe, not numeral)
A bisected drum = TOM (half of tomtom)
A workmen's location = TUB (the butcher, the baker, the candlestick maker...)
Where knights are often from = YORE ("knights of yore")

Groups:

DON STOP B LEVON = Don't Stop Believin'
TOM SAW YORE = Tom Sawyer
CALM E = Call Me (the odd man out)
TUB THUMB PING = Tubthumping

Original category: Rock songs

THE FINAL CONNECTION: Songs that have been my ringtone

Excellent work, everyone; hope you enjoyed it!

Post Number: 4305
Posted on Tuesday, August 30, 2011 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No wonder I didn't get it =P Oh well, it was fun anyway ^.^
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 3578
Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2011 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Awesome puzzle Balin , a really brilliant concept

The only negative for you is that I demand that you come up with another one as soon as possible.
Kalira (Kalira)

Post Number: 737
Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2011 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That was fun -- I'm always a fan of the wordplay puzzles :-D

If this was Facebook, I would +1 Peter's comment... we need another one!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: