(Solitiare) For Peter365 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - October 2011 » (Solitiare) For Peter365 « Previous Next »

Solitiare (Solitiare)
Username: Solitiare

Post Number: 367
Posted on Saturday, October 15, 2011 - 4:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

He was a war hero.
He was an inventor.
His name is known to every literate English-speaking person.
Yet today he is remembered for something he did not do.
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)
Username: Jenburdoo

Post Number: 4956
Posted on Saturday, October 15, 2011 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Murphy?

LTPF list of wars, please.
Doriana (Doriana)
Username: Doriana

Post Number: 2085
Posted on Saturday, October 15, 2011 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Since it's for Peter... is a (terrible) pun involved?
Solitiare (Solitiare)

Post Number: 368
Posted on Saturday, October 15, 2011 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Murphy? No

LTPF list of wars, please.d American Civil War

Since it's for Peter... is a (terrible) pun involved? To my great regret, no. =)
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 4629
Posted on Saturday, October 15, 2011 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

o hai Soli kitteh, I is can haz soli puzzel! *givz cheezburgur*

did he fight for the Union? The Confederacy?
Quovynyte (Quovynyte)
Username: Quovynyte

Post Number: 808
Posted on Saturday, October 15, 2011 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does his name have a different meaning?

Did he invent: an object? or method of doing something?
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)

Post Number: 4957
Posted on Saturday, October 15, 2011 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was he a general? Is he remembered for saying something he didn't say? Doing something he didn't do? Did whatever he is remembered for happen during the war?
Solitiare (Solitiare)

Post Number: 370
Posted on Saturday, October 15, 2011 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

did he fight for the Union?this The Confederacy?

Does his name have a different meaning? Not sure what you mean, but the puzzle is n.r. to the meaning of his name.

Did he invent: an object? mostly this or method of doing something? and somewhat this

Was he a general? At the end of the war, he was. Is he remembered for saying something he didn't say?no Doing something he didn't do? Yes! Did whatever he is remembered for happen during the war? No
Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 15296
Posted on Saturday, October 15, 2011 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Possible $poyler being emailed
Quovynyte (Quovynyte)
Username: Quovynyte

Post Number: 810
Posted on Saturday, October 15, 2011 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well I meant, does his name have a definition?
(ie A surname called "Cocaine" could also mean a type of drug)
I just thought this because you said "every literate English-speaking person" knows his name.

Is the fact that he is a war hero relevant? Or the fact that he has invented something?
Was the think he was remembered for related to his invention?
Was he framed for a crime?
Did he intend for people to think he did something he hadn't? Or did someone intend for that?
Is he remembered in a bad way? or good way?
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)

Post Number: 4958
Posted on Sunday, October 16, 2011 - 1:02 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Abner Doubleday (inventor of baseball) or Dan Butterfield (inventor of Taps)? Except both were generals early in the war, and their names aren't THAT well known...

I'm a Civil War buff, and I can't think of any Civil War Union generals who are well-known worldwide, except maybe Sherman and Grant, both of whom were generals for most of the war. And I can't think of any inventors. Was he an engineer?
Peter365 (Peter365)
Username: Peter365

Post Number: 3686
Posted on Sunday, October 16, 2011 - 1:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

While I'm very flattered I can't think of a single thing to ask.
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 3687
Posted on Sunday, October 16, 2011 - 1:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmm is Baseball relevant?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 3689
Posted on Sunday, October 16, 2011 - 1:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I swear I hadn't seen Jenburdoo's post when I asked the Baseball question.
Solitiare (Solitiare)

Post Number: 371
Posted on Sunday, October 16, 2011 - 2:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm not even going to copy all of those out, but just go directly to the...

*************SPOILER****************
Abner Doubleday was a captain at the beginning of the Civil War. In fact he fired the first shot at Fort Sumter that started the war.
He rose to be a Major General, and after the war, while living in San Francisco, he invented the famous cable cars that are still in use.

I sort of stretched a point when I said his name was known to every literate English-speaking person. At one time I had the scrund that he started the publishing house of Doubleday & Co. That was a distant cousin, but with the same family name.

He did not, of course, invent baseball. But his last command, before retiring, was of a Black regiment. While with them, he sent to the War Department, requesting some baseball equipment - bats, balls, mmitts, et. al. - for the soldiers' down-times. So, although he wasn't the father of baseball, he could be said to be the godfather of the famous Negro Leagues.

I felt Peter should know something about the mythology of baseball if he wants to be a fan. Looks like he was the only one who didn't know this one. Goes to show Nimue is right, and the puzzle host is the worst one to estimate the difficullty of his/her post!
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 3690
Posted on Monday, October 17, 2011 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Very nice Solitaire. I actually have heard of Abner . Stephen King mentions him in an introduction to one of novels but I can't recall which one.

I do know some of the history of Baseball mainly through my general interest in all sports and the numerous references to great moments in movies books etc. So I know a good bit about things like the 1919 World Series Fix, The Cubs Curse, Joe Di Maggio's 56 game hitting streak, Roger Maris breaking Babe Ruth's home run record and I did once run a puzzle about Bobby Thompsons "shot heard around the world".

Baseball has a facinating history and it's amazing how often it's referenced in movies and other media.

More baseball themed puzzles would be most welcome.
Solitiare (Solitiare)

Post Number: 373
Posted on Monday, October 17, 2011 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Peter, your knowledge of baseball encompasses about 95% of what I know. I do follow the current season, but I've already forgotten about last year.
BTW, my other puzzle, Oxymorons for Two, does have a sort of baseball angle, in a very lateral kind of way. I will put that in as a hint, but don't know if it will help much.
Retires to lick wounds.
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 3691
Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2011 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm more of a nerd when it comes to sport and I love statistics so American Sports really appeal to me. I love all the abreviations RBIs ERAs BBs etc.

In terms of sport that are popular in the British Isles I guess Cricket offers the most statistical analysis of performances.

Soccer which is the most popular sport in most of europe doesn't go into so much statisical analysis although there are signs of this increasing.

I could chat about this kind of stuff all day but work calls.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: