[Balin] Paining with numbers Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - April 2012 » [Balin] Paining with numbers « Previous Next »

Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 16808
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2012 - 12:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Shane was only able to defeat Kyle because he (Shane) was injured. How?
Ciaobella (Ciaobella)
Username: Ciaobella

Post Number: 879
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2012 - 5:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It was a who-can-get-hurt first contest?
Or maybe they both liked the same girl but she went out with Shane because she felt sorry for him after his injury?
Or maybe Kyle said to Shane, "I bet I taste better to sharks than you do!" and Shane said, "uh-uh!" and Kyle said, "Uh-Huh!!!" and so they both dived into the shark infested water, but the shark ate Shane because he hit his head during the dive and was bleeding profusely?

Nature of the injury relevant?
Defeat in a contest? a battle?
Kyeannpepper (Kyeannpepper)
Username: Kyeannpepper

Post Number: 575
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2012 - 5:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Shane: HAM? Kyle: HAM?
True story? FYOI? FSEI?
Shane was against Kyle in some way, right? Was anyone else on Shane's side? On Kyle's?
My vote goes to the shark-eating contest. It's just stupid, ridiculous, and believable enough to be a lateral puzzle.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 16811
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2012 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It was a who-can-get-hurt first contest? No
Or maybe they both liked the same girl but she went out with Shane because she felt sorry for him after his injury? No
Or maybe Kyle said to Shane, "I bet I taste better to sharks than you do!" and Shane said, "uh-uh!" and Kyle said, "Uh-Huh!!!" and so they both dived into the shark infested water, but the shark ate Shane because he hit his head during the dive and was bleeding profusely? No, but I'll have to remember that one.

Nature of the injury relevant? Yes
Defeat in a contest? a battle? Neither

Shane: HAM? Kyle: HAM? Yes to both
True story? FYOI? This FSEI?
Shane was against Kyle in some way, right? Yes Was anyone else on Shane's side? On Kyle's? Hmmm... Shane and Kyle were the only ones there
My vote goes to the shark-eating contest. It's just stupid, ridiculous, and believable enough to be a lateral puzzle. That is surely so, but alas, it's not this one.
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Username: Ixoye724

Post Number: 3732
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2012 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This reminds me of a scenario in a movie from years ago called 'Three O'Clock High.' Doubtful to be the same because there were more than two people involved but similar in description.

Were Shane and Kyle running against each other as candidates? Were people voting for one of them?
Was Shane's injury related to his head? Arms? Legs? Spine? Thymus? Something else?

Post Number: 581
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2012 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was anyone watching Shane and Kyle? On TV, perhaps?
Y'know, I was hoping my Hunger Games rulebreaker would get my obsession with it out...of...my...head, but sadly, this isn't the case.
Shez (Shez)
Username: Shez

Post Number: 2965
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2012 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

were they playing a game? a sport?

were they fighting? was it a duel? I know if you get hit first in a duel you get to shoot in your own time
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 16818
Posted on Saturday, March 24, 2012 - 4:37 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This reminds me of a scenario in a movie from years ago called 'Three O'Clock High.' Doubtful to be the same because there were more than two people involved but similar in description. I've never seen that movie, so I doubt that's it.

Were Shane and Kyle running against each other as candidates? No Were people voting for one of them? No
Was Shane's injury related to his head? Arms? Legs? This Spine? Thymus? Something else?

Was anyone watching Shane and Kyle? No On TV, perhaps?
Y'know, I was hoping my Hunger Games rulebreaker would get my obsession with it out...of...my...head, but sadly, this isn't the case. No biggie. We all have our little obsessions. That series isn't one of mine, but it's not a bad one. (Now Twilight, on the other hand...)

were they playing a game? a sport? were they fighting? was it a duel? No to all
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 16852
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2012 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HINT: Perhaps "defeat" wasn't the best word for me to use in the puzzle statement. "Stop" would be better.

Post Number: 601
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2012 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did Kyle have a fear of blood? Was Shane actually bleeding?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 16857
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2012 - 3:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did Kyle have a fear of blood? Was Shane actually bleeding? No to both
Ciaobella (Ciaobella)

Post Number: 918
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2012 - 6:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did Kyle hurt Shane? Did Shane have some type of adaptation for his injury, such as a cast or wheelchair? Relevant?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 16862
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2012 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did Kyle hurt Shane? No Did Shane have some type of adaptation for his injury, such as a cast or wheelchair? Yes. He had a cast and something else Relevant? Yes
Shez (Shez)
Username: Shez

Post Number: 2998
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2012 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

did he have a crutch? crutches? walking stick? sling?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 16866
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2012 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

did he have a crutch? crutches? This walking stick? sling?
Ciaobella (Ciaobella)

Post Number: 928
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2012 - 6:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the cast help him defeat Kyle? Did the crutches?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 16881
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2012 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the cast help him defeat Kyle? Did the crutches? This

Post Number: 618
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2012 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it because the crutches gave Shane a farther reach? Allowing him to stab/hit Kyle with the crutches while Shane was safely out of Kyle's reach?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 16884
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2012 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it because the crutches gave Shane a farther reach? Allowing him to stab/hit Kyle with the crutches while Shane was safely out of Kyle's reach? No but good thought
Ciaobella (Ciaobella)

Post Number: 938
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2012 - 5:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Relevant properties of crutches:
-length?
-metal?
-width?
-noise made when using?
-shape?
-the way they are used?
-weight?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 16885
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2012 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Relevant properties of crutches:
-length?
-metal?
-width?
-noise made when using?
-shape?
-the way they are used?
-weight? Size (length) and shape, I guess. Material helps.
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 5497
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2012 - 12:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

wood?
metal?
leather?
rubber?
other?
ltpf list of materials used in crutches?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 16891
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2012 - 12:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

wood?
metal? This
leather?
rubber?
other?
ltpf list of materials used in crutches?
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 5501
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2012 - 12:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

steel? aluminum? iron? (can you tell I have no idea what metal is used for crutches, lol?)
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 16894
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2012 - 1:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

steel? aluminum? iron? (can you tell I have no idea what metal is used for crutches, lol?) Neither do I and irrel. A wooden crutch could have worked for the puzzle too, but metal is better.
Jane (Jane)
Username: Jane

Post Number: 15
Posted on Sunday, April 15, 2012 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did Shane use the crutch to prevent Kyle from doing something? From touching something? From contacting someone? Did he touch Kyle with the crutch? Did he touch an object with the crutch?

Is a metal crutch better than a wooden one because it is heavier? Hurts more when you are hit with it? Conducts electricity? Conducts heat? Makes a particular noise in a particular circumstance?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 16925
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2012 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Welcome to the forum Jane!

Did Shane use the crutch to prevent Kyle from doing something? Yes From touching something? Noish From contacting someone? No Did he touch Kyle with the crutch? No Did he touch an object with the crutch? Yes

Is a metal crutch better than a wooden one because it is heavier? This and one other related thing; No to rest Hurts more when you are hit with it? Conducts electricity? Conducts heat? Makes a particular noise in a particular circumstance?
Jane (Jane)

Post Number: 24
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2012 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks! I was here years and years ago in a different incarnation. Very nice to be back!

Did Shane touch the object with the crutch to prevent Kyle from using it? From seeing it? Did he move the thing with the crutch? Did he break it? Prevent it from operating?

Was anyone else involved? Any animals?

Is the other quality of a metal crutch the fact that it does more damage when you hit things with it? That it is denser? Impossible to cut through? Saw through? Break in some other way?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 16929
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2012 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did Shane touch the object with the crutch to prevent Kyle from using it? From seeing it? Did he move the thing with the crutch? Did he break it? No to these Prevent it from operating? Yes

Was anyone else involved? No Any animals? No

Is the other quality of a metal crutch the fact that it does more damage when you hit things with it? No, but... That it is denser? Impossible to cut through? Saw through? Break in some other way? All of these are important, namely the last one.
Jane (Jane)

Post Number: 30
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2012 - 11:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did Kyle have any kind of weapon? Something he was using as a weapon? Something he could have used? Something he showed clear intention of using? Was Kyle trying to attack Shane? To stop him from doing something? Did Shane defend himself with the crutch?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 16932
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2012 - 2:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did Kyle have any kind of weapon? Probably Something he was using as a weapon? Something he could have used? Something he showed clear intention of using? See prev
Was Kyle trying to attack Shane? No To stop him from doing something? No Did Shane defend himself with the crutch? No
Jane (Jane)

Post Number: 34
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2012 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the object Shane touched with the crutch a door? A window? Did he use the crutch to stop something opening? To stop something closing?

Did this take place inside? Outside? Did Shane use the crutch to stop Kyle entering a place? Leaving a place? To stop him from reaching something?

When you say Kyle probably had a weapon, do you mean that Kyle was the kind of guy to have a weapon? That Shane assumed Kyle had a weapon? Something else? Is it relevant whether Kyle had a weapon? Is it relevant whether Shane thought Kyle had a weapon?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 16934
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2012 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the object Shane touched with the crutch a door? Yes! A window? Did he use the crutch to stop something opening? This! To stop something closing?

Did this take place inside? This Outside? Did Shane use the crutch to stop Kyle entering a place? Leaving a place? This To stop him from reaching something?

When you say Kyle probably had a weapon, do you mean that Kyle was the kind of guy to have a weapon? Not sure what you mean by this, but... That Shane assumed Kyle had a weapon? Yes, most likely Something else? Is it relevant whether Kyle had a weapon? No Is it relevant whether Shane thought Kyle had a weapon? Yes
Jane (Jane)

Post Number: 42
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2012 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did Shane shut Kyle in a room? Did he use a crutch to barricade the door?

Did Shane think Kyle was going to hurt someone? More than one person? Himself?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 16937
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2012 - 1:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did Shane shut Kyle in a room? Did he use a crutch to barricade the door? Yes to both!!!!!

Did Shane think Kyle was going to hurt someone? He thought he might More than one person? Probably not Himself? Yes

You're very, very close. All you need to know is what Kyle was doing in the room.
Jane (Jane)

Post Number: 45
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2012 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the room in someone's house? A public place? A private commercial place? A building on a university campus? A school? Was it Kyle's room? Was it Shane's room?

Was Kyle looking for something? Looking at something? Writing? Reading? Using a computer? Using a phone? Was he holding anything? Was he speaking? Did he move around the room while he did whatever he did? Did he eat anything? Did he drink anything?

Did Kyle and Shane enter the room together? Were they already in there when the events relevant to the puzzle began? Did Shane go in when Kyle was already in there? Did Kyle go in when Shane was already in there?

Was Kyle drunk? Was it obvious to Shane what Kyle was going to do? Did Kyle say what he was going to do?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 16941
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2012 - 1:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the room in someone's house? Yes A public place? A private commercial place? A building on a university campus? A school? Was it Kyle's room? Was it Shane's room? Yes

Was Kyle looking for something? Yes Looking at something? Writing? Reading? Using a computer? Using a phone? Was he holding anything? Yes Was he speaking? Did he move around the room while he did whatever he did? Yes Did he eat anything? Did he drink anything?

Did Kyle and Shane enter the room together? Were they already in there when the events relevant to the puzzle began? Kyle was; Shane was not (FA) Did Shane go in when Kyle was already in there? Did Kyle go in when Shane was already in there?

All unanswered are No

Was Kyle drunk? Was it obvious to Shane what Kyle was going to do? Did Kyle say what he was going to do?
Jane (Jane)

Post Number: 51
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2012 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did Shane know Kyle? Was he related to Kyle? Did Kyle also live in the house?

Did Shane actually go into the room at all? If not, did he know that it was Kyle who was in the room? Did he somehow determine that someone was in the room without entering it? Did he know what Kyle was doing in the room? Did he guess what Kyle was doing in the room? Is what Shane thought Kyle was doing in the room what he actually was doing?

Did Shane see Kyle before Kyle went into the room? Did he see him entering the room? Did he see him while he was in the room? Did he hear any noise from the room? If so, did he hear noises emitted by Kyle? By the sound of Kyle touching things? Moving things? Noises emitted by an electronic device? By a mechanical device?

Just to clarify an earlier question - did Shane think Kyle was going to hurt him (Shane)? Or himself (Kyle)? Did he think that Kyle was going to do anything relevant other than hurt him/himself?

Was Kyle holding one thing? More than one thing? Was he using it? Did he hold it the whole time he was in the room? Did he hold several different things in the process of looking for something?

The thing he was looking for: was it an object? More than one? Was it information? Evidence? Did Shane know that he was looking for it/them? Suspect that he was looking for it/them? Was Kyle intending to destroy the thing he was looking for? Take it away with him? Use it in the room? Did the thing belong to Shane? To Kyle? To another person? Was the thing in the room? Did Kyle find it? Is it relevant whether it was there? Is it relevant whether he found it?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 16945
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2012 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I missed these earlier:

Was Kyle drunk? No Was it obvious to Shane what Kyle was going to do? Yes, but not "going to do" Did Kyle say what he was going to do? No

Back to business...

Did Shane know Kyle? Was he related to Kyle? Did Kyle also live in the house? No to these

Did Shane actually go into the room at all? No If not, did he know that it was Kyle who was in the room? No Did he somehow determine that someone was in the room without entering it? Yes Did he know what Kyle was doing in the room? He wasn't 100% certain, but... Did he guess what Kyle was doing in the room? ...he made an educated guess Is what Shane thought Kyle was doing in the room what he actually was doing? Yes

Did Shane see Kyle before Kyle went into the room? Did he see him entering the room? Did he see him while he was in the room? No to these Did he hear any noise from the room? If so, did he hear noises emitted by Kyle? Yes By the sound of Kyle touching things? Yes Moving things? Yes Noises emitted by an electronic device? No By a mechanical device? No

Just to clarify an earlier question - did Shane think Kyle was going to hurt him (Shane)? This Or himself (Kyle)? Did he think that Kyle was going to do anything relevant other than hurt him/himself? Yes, that being what Kyle was doing in the room.

Was Kyle holding one thing? At least one relevant thing, but you don't need to know this to solve the puzzle More than one thing? Perhaps Was he using it? Yes Did he hold it the whole time he was in the room? No Did he hold several different things in the process of looking for something? Yope?

The thing he was looking for: was it an object? More than one? This, but possible FA Was it information? Evidence? Neither Did Shane know that he was looking for it/them? Suspect that he was looking for it/them? This Was Kyle intending to destroy the thing he was looking for? Take it away with him? This Use it in the room? Did the thing belong to Shane? This To Kyle? To another person? Was the thing in the room? Irrel Did Kyle find it? Irrel Is it relevant whether it was there? See prev Is it relevant whether he found it? See prev

You're very, very close. Don't overthink it.
Jane (Jane)

Post Number: 52
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2012 - 12:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was Kyle looking for Shane? Was he looking for money? Was he a thief? Did Shane correctly surmise he was up to no good and barricade him in the room while he limped off to call the police?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 16950
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2012 - 1:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was Kyle looking for Shane? No... Was he looking for money? Yes... Was he a thief? Yes! Did Shane correctly surmise he was up to no good and barricade him in the room while he limped off to call the police? YES!!!

**********SPOILER**********

Kyle was in the middle of robbing Shane's house when Shane came up. Although Kyle was behind double doors, Shane heard rustling and assumed that someone was up to no good. Fortunately for Shane, he had recently broken his leg and was on crutches, so he used one to bar the doors and hurried off to call the police. Kyle was trapped until he was arrested.

Nice solve Jane. New puzzle on the way.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: