[gregoryuconn] Deadly Ever After Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - April 2012 » [gregoryuconn] Deadly Ever After « Previous Next »

Gregoryuconn (Gregoryuconn)
Username: Gregoryuconn

Post Number: 1772
Posted on Sunday, March 25, 2012 - 6:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When I was younger, I had a scrund about a certain restaurant chain. As a result, when my grandfather visited us and ordered ice cream, I was terrified. Why?

Hint: This is a pretty humorous scrund, in hindsight.
Potato (Potato)
Username: Potato

Post Number: 1346
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2012 - 1:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it a restaurant offering food typical for a specific country (Italian, Greek, Indian, Chinese...)?
Was it a fast food joint?
A diner?
An ice cream parlor?
A delivery service?

Is the scrund related to the restaurant chain's name?
To its location?
If its dishes are typical for a country, is the scrund related to the country?
To a specific dish they sell there?
To the way they prepare the food?
To a specific ice cream flavour?

Post Number: 1773
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2012 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it a restaurant offering food typical for a specific country (Italian, Greek, Indian, Chinese...)? American, I guess
Was it a fast food joint?
A diner? This is closest
An ice cream parlor? <b> but it was this too ,/b>
A delivery service?

Is the scrund related to the restaurant chain's name? no, but...
To its location? No
If its dishes are typical for a country, is the scrund related to the country? N/A
To a specific dish they sell there? Yope/Yesish
To the way they prepare the food? Laterally relevant, I suppose, although I wasn't thinking of it at the time
To a specific ice cream flavour? Yope/noish
Ciaobella (Ciaobella)
Username: Ciaobella

Post Number: 886
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2012 - 5:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Any connections between ice cream parlor and funeral parlor? LOL
Peter365 (Peter365)
Username: Peter365

Post Number: 4033
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2012 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh I hope Ciaobella's guess is right....

Any confusion between the words Sunday & sundae? Could this have happened in any diner ? or do we need the particular one?
Shez (Shez)
Username: Shez

Post Number: 2977
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2012 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

was the scrund about how the ice cream was made? only one flavour?

or was the scrund about the chain itself? hygiene? bizarre practices?

Post Number: 1779
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2012 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Any connections between ice cream parlor and funeral parlor? LOL No, lol

Oh I hope Ciaobella's guess is right.... Sorry

Any confusion between the words Sunday & sundae? No Could this have happened in any diner ? or do we need the particular one? It could have happened at any restaurant (which is a better term than diner, IMO) that belonged to this chain.
Beachbum (Beachbum)
Username: Beachbum

Post Number: 67
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2012 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you get the scrund from the chain's logo? Motto? An advertisement?
Did it have to do with the particular name they had for the ice cream dish?

Cold Stone Creamery by any chance?
Beachbum (Beachbum)

Post Number: 68
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2012 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Where you terrified because you thought the ice cream would be poisonous? Or because you thought something bad would happen to you if the ice cream were ordered (not having to do with eating it)?

Post Number: 1780
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2012 - 2:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you get the scrund from the chain's logo? Motto? An advertisement? This is closest
Did it have to do with the particular name they had for the ice cream dish? Yes! But there's a bit more to it.

Cold Stone Creamery by any chance? No. This chain (I think) exists only in New Englan and parts of New York/maybe New Jersey
Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 16836
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2012 - 3:38 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ben & Jerry's?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4048
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2012 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Knickerbocker glory relevant?
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 2989
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2012 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Phish Food?
Beachbum (Beachbum)

Post Number: 75
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2012 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think you missed this question:

Where you terrified because you thought the ice cream would be poisonous? Or because you thought something bad would happen to you if the ice cream were ordered (not having to do with eating it)?

Post Number: 1782
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2012 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ben & Jerry's? No.... It's a restaurant AND an ice cream parlor
Knickerbocker glory relevant? No
Phish Food? huh?

I think you missed this question:

Where you terrified because you thought the ice cream would be poisonous? Probably, that would seem logical although I don't recall if I had that specific thought Or because you thought something bad would happen to you if the ice cream were ordered Yesish (not having to do with eating it)? Noish
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4055
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2012 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the name of the dish 'death by...something'?

Post Number: 1785
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2012 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the name of the dish 'death by...something'? No.... Good thought though.
Ciaobella (Ciaobella)

Post Number: 911
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2012 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it the name of the restaurant or just the ice cream dish? Did the name contain a scary word, like "death" or "toxic"?

Post Number: 1789
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2012 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it the name of the restaurant no or just the ice cream dish? this Did the name contain a scary word, like "death" or "toxic"? Not really, although I thought so at the time. Explore this.
Beachbum (Beachbum)

Post Number: 89
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2012 - 12:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To ask the obvious: Was it not a scary word, but it sounded like one?

Or was it in fact a scary word, but someone older would have known that it was a joke?

This word that you thought was scary: Did it seem such because of a certain point in history?

The reason why you interpreted the word as scary: related to a certain global event at the time? A certain childhood hobby?

Was the reason this word was scary, related to something that could existing in real life? A food ingredient? A movie you saw? Something you misheard (I know, probably asked before)?

Post Number: 1793
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2012 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To ask the obvious: Was it not a scary word, but it sounded like one? Not quite, OTRT... Plus an ish/FA.

Or was it in fact a scary word, but someone older would have known that it was a joke? No, but OTRT again. Same ish/FA.

This word that you thought was scary: Did it seem such because of a certain point in history? No, same ish/FA

The reason why you interpreted the word as scary: related to a certain global event at the time? No, same ish/FA A certain childhood hobby? DOYD of "hobby", but probably not. Still same -ish/FA

Was the reason this word was scary, related to something that could existing in real life? Well, it could exist, I suppose. Same FA/ish. A food ingredient? I guess it would be used as one, here, but I really wasn't thinking that at the time. Still same ish/FA A movie you saw? Yesish, plus the other ish/FA from earlier Something you misheard (I know, probably asked before)? Not quite, same ish/FA
Beachbum (Beachbum)

Post Number: 101
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2012 - 2:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, a scary graphical image then, right?
Ciaobella (Ciaobella)

Post Number: 917
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2012 - 6:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

An animal, perhaps? Such as a monster of some kind?
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 2999
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2012 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is the FA that it is a word? is it a phrase?

any foreign words involved? any body parts mentioned?

Post Number: 1796
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2012 - 12:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, a scary graphical image then, right? No, see below An animal, perhaps? Such as a monster of some kind? N/A
is the FA that it is a word? see next question. is it a phrase? BINGO!

any foreign words involved? any body parts mentioned? no to these
Ciaobella (Ciaobella)

Post Number: 926
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2012 - 6:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does the word conjure a picture in your mind? If so, is it one that relates to death? poison? something disgusting? something neutral? something pleasant?

Post Number: 1809
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2012 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does the word conjure a picture in your mind? I really wouldn't call it that. Answering the other question based on what it brought to mind. If so, is it one that relates to death? yes poison? Not to young child me, but if young adult me had this scrund, it would. something disgusting? something neutral? something pleasant? see previous

Post Number: 1810
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2012 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does the word conjure a picture in your mind? I really wouldn't call it that. Answering the other question based on what it brought to mind. If so, is it one that relates to death? yes poison? Not to young child me, but if young adult me had this scrund, it would. something disgusting? something neutral? something pleasant? see previous
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 3015
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2012 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is this phrase only ued by this particular chain?

as a child had you mistaken an innocuous word for something deadly? or had you misunderstood a pun? or as children do, taken a mildly amusing play on words much too seriously?

is it the name of a flavour?

Post Number: 1822
Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2012 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is this phrase only ued by this particular chain? As it relates to ice cream, yes. Generally, no.

as a child had you mistaken an innocuous word for something deadly? See next answer or had you misunderstood a pun? Yes! or as children do, taken a mildly amusing play on words much too seriously? In a way, but the last one is closer.

is it the name of a flavour? Not a specific flavor, no....
Beachbum (Beachbum)

Post Number: 129
Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2012 - 11:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmm, this is a toughy... I want to try not to ask questions about the era or the geography of the chain, because that would be kind of off limits for a lateral puzzle ...

Hm,

Ok, so does the phrase mention a common monster in popular fiction? Specifically TV?

Is the same phrase for used for all the flavors of Ice cream? (It seems yes).

Does the phrase relate to the manner in which the ice cream is served? A cone? A sundae?

Ahh, I got nuttin..

Post Number: 1824
Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2012 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmm, this is a toughy... I want to try not to ask questions about the era or the geography of the chain, because that would be kind of off limits for a lateral puzzle ... Modern day, Northeast. Not really relevant.

Hm,

Ok, so does the phrase mention a common monster in popular fiction? Specifically TV? No, OTWT

Is the same phrase for used for all the flavors of Ice cream? (It seems yes). Not quite.... I'll just clear this up. They gave the ice cream free with food (or it was a discount, I don't remember) if a certain condition, which you need to find because it is relevant, was met. It didn't matter what flavor.

Does the phrase relate to the manner in which the ice cream is served? In a way, but no more than applies to most ice cream. A cone? A sundae? it was a sundae, but this is not relevant to the name (other than that it was technically called "X Sundae", the X part is relevant, the Sundae part is not).

Ahh, I got nuttin..
Beachbum (Beachbum)

Post Number: 140
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2012 - 2:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I dunno, Bloody, bloody Sundae? - like if you ordered a bloody Mary?

Was the condition that you ate a a large amount of food?

Did the condition depend on the time of day? The day of the week? Sunday, perhaps?

Did it require you to order a certain item on the menu?

Post Number: 1828
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2012 - 2:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I dunno, Bloody, bloody Sundae? - like if you ordered a bloody Mary? No

Was the condition that you ate a a large amount of food? No, although I believe an additional criteria was purchase of a meal. That's not the relevant one though.

Did the condition depend on the time of day? The day of the week? Sunday, perhaps? no

Did it require you to order a certain item on the menu? Well, you had to order a meal. But beyond that, no. And that's not the relevant condition.
Beachbum (Beachbum)

Post Number: 144
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2012 - 4:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Msn you're killing me here. Ok,
has to do with the age of the clientele (e.g. a senior citizen discount)?

"You are going to die if you eat this Sundae"? No?
Just a long shot.

Harummphh

Post Number: 1829
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2012 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Msn you're killing me here. Pun intended?

Ok,
has to do with the age of the clientele (e.g. a senior citizen discount)? Yes and yes.

"You are going to die if you eat this Sundae"? No?
Just a long shot. No....

Harummphh Well, I suppose there's no need to play 20 questions for the name. You've already got everything else you need now that you have the senior citizen part, so

****SPOILER****

One day when I was a child, my family, inlcuding my grandparents, went out to Friendly's. At the time, they offered a free "Happy Ending" sundae to all senior citizens with the purchase of a meal. Of course, it is the meal that is supposed to have a "happy ending", but I was scared that it would give my grandfather a "happy ending" (i.e. he would die) because he ordered it. Thanks to everyone for guessing. Check out my new puzzle.
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 3021
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2012 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

absolutely brilliant!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: