{KayleeTonksLupin} The Hour of Pearl ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - September 2012 » {KayleeTonksLupin} The Hour of Pearl (scrund) « Previous Next »

Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 5679
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2012 - 7:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I certainly had that backwards...

Probably a quick one, but we'll see...
Noel (Noel)
Username: Noel

Post Number: 3027
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2012 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the title relevant? If so, is Pearl a person?

Post Number: 5680
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2012 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the title relevant? yes If so, is Pearl a person? no - that was merely the misdirection of capitalizing the beginning of the title and all nouns out of habit. It is part of a literary quote - expanded a bit further, "It is the hour of pearl -".
Peter365 (Peter365)
Username: Peter365

Post Number: 4276
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2012 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is Steinback's work relevant? Cannery Row? Of Mice & Men? The Grapes of Wrath?

Post Number: 5681
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2012 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is Steinback's work relevant? yes Cannery Row? this, no to rest Of Mice & Men? The Grapes of Wrath?
Ciaobella (Ciaobella)
Username: Ciaobella

Post Number: 1032
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2012 - 1:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is specific knowledge about the book required? Or can we guess without it?

Sadly, I have not read that one.

Post Number: 5685
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2012 - 2:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is specific knowledge about the book required? Not more than the setting and that John Steinbeck wrote it Or can we guess without it? I had the scrund in part because I had not read this book, so I am sure guessing without it is fine.

Sadly, I have not read that one. nor I. But consider that Cannery Row is not just a book, these days...

Post Number: 5688
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2012 - 3:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hint: Remember that this is my scrund, specifically about Cannery Row (the place, not the book). Remember what you know about my location. The two are very related.
Ciaobella (Ciaobella)

Post Number: 1038
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2012 - 4:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Both you and Cannery Row are in California?

Post Number: 5696
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2012 - 4:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Both you and Cannery Row are in California?
Yes!! More specifically...
Peter365 (Peter365)
Username: Peter365

Post Number: 4279
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2012 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That you are both in Monterey?

Post Number: 5713
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2012 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That you are both in Monterey?
Well, it's in Monterey permanently. I've been in Monterey more times than I can count, since I live only an hour or so away from it, so I've been to Cannery Row a lot...however, even so, there is something I did not know about it.

Post Number: 5732
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2012 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

RECAP:
The puzzle statement is, "Well, I certainly had that backwards..."

We have determined "that" is something to do with John Steinbeck's Cannery Row, and "Cannery Row" in Monterey, CA. Bearing in mind that I am quite familiar with "Cannery Row" the place but had never read Steinbeck's book, what could my scrund entail?
Ciaobella (Ciaobella)

Post Number: 1059
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2012 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did your scrund have to do with the name "Cannery Row"? With the book?

Post Number: 5735
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2012 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did your scrund have to do with the name "Cannery Row"? Yes With the book? Yes...ish? Explore.
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 3038
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2012 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you think the book was set in Cannery Row the place?

Post Number: 5738
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2012 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you think the book was set in Cannery Row the place?
FA...I didn't know about the book until recently. And it actually is set in Cannery Row the place...although...
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 3039
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2012 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you think the place was named after the book? Or the book was named after the place?

I've actually never heard of the book, so I'm shooting in the dark here...

Post Number: 5741
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2012 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you think the place was named after the book? Considering I never heard of the book, no, BUT IT WAS!! Renamed after the book, that is. =) Finding this out cured my passive scrund.

Or the book was named after the place? No

I've actually never heard of the book, so I'm shooting in the dark here...Pretty good shots! I only heard of the book a short while before starting this puzzle, while looking up stuff about John Steinbeck and Monterey that might be useful in the California section of the Latventure of Neverending Proportions xDDD. Anyway, while doing that, I found he'd written a book called Cannery Row, which I had never heard of and never read, even though I've been to Cannery Row countless times (there's really no canneries there anymore, though). I found out then that in the book, "Cannery Row" was an (at the time) fictionalized name for the real Ocean View Avenue in Monterey. After the book's publication, Ocean View Avenue was renamed Cannery Row in honor of Steinbeck and the book (at first unofficially, but the name became official in 1958. The last cannery there closed in 1973, 12 years before I was born.) Well done, everyone, and especially well done Noel for honing in on the ***SPOILER!!!***

Post Number: 5742
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2012 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Or the book was named after the place? No

CORRECTION: Between finding the article for JS's "Cannery Row" and actually reading it, I DID think that. So yes, but only for a minute or two. =P Therefore, I had that backwards. =)

Post Number: 5743
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2012 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

(It = the article. Still haven't read the book. Ok, done spamming my puzzle now. Spoiler complete, lol.)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: