[peter365] Free Advice Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - December 2012 » [peter365] Free Advice « Previous Next »

Peter365 (Peter365)
Username: Peter365

Post Number: 4385
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2012 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi puzzle friends....

Here's my advice to you ... It's best not to ponder one of the great mysteries before an important meeting with your boss.

Please explain how I found this out the hard way.

Will be a quickie I'm sure
Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 17947
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2012 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is your/your boss's occupation relevant?
"Great mysteries": a philosophical question? A humorous one? An actual mystery? A mystery story?

You said quickie, so I'll say this takes 80 posts
Rbruma (Rbruma)
Username: Rbruma

Post Number: 2210
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2012 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you quit your job? Boss: at the office? Your wife? One of the children? Your mother? One of your pets?
Shez (Shez)
Username: Shez

Post Number: 3560
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2012 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

life? death? love?

did pondering put you in a particular frame of mind?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4386
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2012 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is your/your boss's occupation relevant? No.. so neither is mine hee hee
"Great mysteries": a philosophical question? Yes A humorous one? Yope ... consider this An actual mystery? DOYD A mystery story? No

You said quickie, so I'll say this takes 80 posts Ah the old quickie paradox
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4387
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2012 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you quit your job? If I only had the nerve, but alas no. Boss: at the office? Yes Your wife? No but don't tell her I said that One of the children? No Your mother? Thank goodness this is a no One of your pets? No kittehs involved I fear
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4388
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2012 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

life? This death? No but I guess life and death go hand in hand love? No

did pondering put you in a particular frame of mind? Not really no
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 17948
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2012 - 3:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"What is the meaning of life?"
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 2212
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2012 - 8:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you find out that you have an urgent ... ummm .. daily necessity .. while the big guy in a dark suit looking like Napoleon before a fight, was just telling you a most important matter? : - )

Is it relevant if he is your everyday boss or the all-powerful CEO of the company, whom you meet once or twice a year?
Enjay (Enjay)
Username: Enjay

Post Number: 1829
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2012 - 8:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you get in trouble with your boss? Did you fail to listen to something he said? Give an inappropriate response to something he said?

Is it relevant what the subject of the meeting was? Was it just between you and your boss? Were any relevant others present?

42 relevant?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4391
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2012 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"What is the meaning of life?" Yes
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4392
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2012 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you find out that you have an urgent ... ummm .. daily necessity .. while the big guy in a dark suit looking like Napoleon before a fight, was just telling you a most important matter? : - ) Happily I can say no to this

Is it relevant if he is your everyday boss or the all-powerful CEO of the company, whom you meet once or twice a year? Just my everyday boss and I should point out that my boss is one of those...emm what do you call them ... Women.
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4393
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2012 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you get in trouble with your boss? no Did you fail to listen to something he said? No Give an inappropriate response to something he said? Not a response but something inappropriate was voiced

Is it relevant what the subject of the meeting was? Was it just between you and your boss? Were any relevant others present? Not really relevant. We were on our way to the meeting when this happened.

42 relevant? Only insofar as it's the age of your puzzle host.
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 2214
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2012 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you suddenly realize that you lack something for the meeting? (forgot your laptop, or to copy an updated presentation, for example) ?

When you say "something inappropriate" - was it something insulting? Menacing? Did you utter it? Was it directed at your boss? At somebody else? At something?

Did you make a remark about your boss that, while technically true -- was considered insulting / showing no respect?

Was she in your presence while this happened? Or was she, e.g., just across the corner, and heard what you said? (without you being aware of the fact)
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 1830
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2012 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it you who said the inappropriate thing? Were you thinking aloud? Did you voice a potential answer to the question? Was the inappropriate thing said to your boss? In front of your boss? By your boss? Did something make you laugh? Did you behave unprofessionally?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4394
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2012 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you suddenly realize that you lack something for the meeting? (forgot your laptop, or to copy an updated presentation, for example) ? No

When you say "something inappropriate" - was it something insulting? Not really Menacing? Yes Did you utter it? It came from me yes Was it directed at your boss? At somebody else? At something? At nobody in particular

Did you make a remark about your boss that, while technically true -- was considered insulting / showing no respect? No to all

Was she in your presence while this happened? Yes Or was she, e.g., just across the corner, and heard what you said? (without you being aware of the fact)So no
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 1831
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2012 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think you missed my questions above - a few of them were answered in your responses to Rbruma, but not all :-)
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4395
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2012 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think you missed my questions above - a few of them were answered in your responses to Rbruma, but not all :-) Sorry Enjay ...

Was it you who said the inappropriate thing? I'm going to stop dancing around this issuing by telling you that I didn't SAY something but.... Were you thinking aloud? I think the point is that I wasn't thinking period Did you voice a potential answer to the question? No Was the inappropriate thing said to your boss? No and it wasn't said In front of your boss? Yes By your boss? No it came from me Did something make you laugh? Humour is relevant to why I did what I did, but I wasn't trying to be funny Did you behave unprofessionally? Oh I think it's safe to say that
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 1832
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2012 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you sing? Shout? Write something? Make a non-speech noise? If so, with your mouth?

Was what you did a reaction to something being funny?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 2215
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2012 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were you humming a particular (relevant) melody?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4396
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2012 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you sing? This Shout? Write something? Make a non-speech noise? If so, with your mouth?

Was what you did a reaction to something being funny? No not really
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4397
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2012 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were you humming a particular (relevant) melody? No just singing

I should warn that if you're quite sensitive then this puzzle may have a 'NC-17 rating' quality to it. It shouldn't really offend I hope but take heed nonetheless.
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 1835
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2012 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is Monty Python's "The Meaning of Life" relevant?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 17950
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2012 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was your answer a stereotypical "guy" answer?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 2218
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2012 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were the words that you said relevant? Or the melody was the problem? Or maybe you did interpret it very well, but was not for the moment?

As a side note, I didn't have at a particular moment my pass for the tram.When asked by the people doing the search, I started singing. At the next stop, they went down and let me safe. Not even a gun could have been better : - )
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 3562
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2012 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

did you sing any words?

or was it the fact that you were singing?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4398
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2012 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is Monty Python's "The Meaning of Life" relevant? Yes
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4399
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2012 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was your answer a stereotypical "guy" answer? It wasn't an answer to anything
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4400
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2012 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were the words that you said relevant? B{The words I sang were} Or the melody was the problem? No Or maybe you did interpret it very well, but was not for the moment? Well it was very inappropriate for the particular moment

As a side note, I didn't have at a particular moment my pass for the tram.When asked by the people doing the search, I started singing. At the next stop, they went down and let me safe. Not even a gun could have been better : - )
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4401
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2012 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

did you sing any words? yes

or was it the fact that you were singing? Well it was more what I was singing
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 3566
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2012 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

did you sing that amazing song about the universe which is my favourite song of all time? I don't actually know the lyrics, but maybe the bit about how insignificant we all are?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4403
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2012 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

did you sing that amazing song about the universe which is my favourite song of all time? I don't actually know the lyrics, but maybe the bit about how insignificant we all are? No but I love singing that song. I can actually remember all of the lyrics
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 17963
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2012 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Unfortunately I'm not familiar with that movie or song, but I'll try to keep asking questions

I see that there is a song in the movie called "Every Sperm is Sacred." Is that the relevant song in question? Is it relevant that your boss is female?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 17964
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2012 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

...Further research (aka "Scrolling down on the Wikipedia page") shows that there is a "Penis Song." Same questions as before?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4405
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2012 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Unfortunately I'm not familiar with that movie or song, but I'll try to keep asking questions

I see that there is a song in the movie called "Every Sperm is Sacred." Is that the relevant song in question? Is it relevant that your boss is female? Yes to all and we can move on to the.....

*********Spoiler************

My free advice to you all is never ever listen to your Best of Monty Python collection on your iPad shortly before going to a meeting with your boss. If you do there is an outside chance you will absent mindedly start singing 'Every Sperm is Sacred' in front of said boss. You will feel particularly embarassed especially if your boss is a woman.

Take it from somebody who knows.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 17965
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2012 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good advice. Good advice indeed.

Should I add that movie to my Peter365-recommended list?
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 3570
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2012 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OMG! have you not seen it yet Balin?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 17967
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2012 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nope. I hadn't heard of it until you mentioned it.
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4406
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2012 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Should I add that movie to my Peter365-recommended list? Absolutely . Lots of python at their tasteless best

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: