[RedWine] Size matters.

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: kalira, peter365, JenBurdoo, Balin, Tiger

[RedWine] Size matters.

Postby RedWine » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:09 am

There is a certain, quite annoying, aspect of my job. It would be much easier to deal with, had I not been married.
Last edited by RedWine on Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RedWine

Re: [RedWine] Size matters.

Postby Westing1992 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:44 pm

Wearing a wedding ring relevant? Spending long times apart from your spouse?
Westing1992

Postby GalFisk » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:26 pm

Would it be easier if you were engaged? Single? Widowed? Did you take the last name of your husband? Relevant? If so, did you replace your own? Add it to your own?
GalFisk

Postby Alhucema » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:51 pm

Size: of something tangible? The length of your name?
Alhucema

Postby jumpingjacks » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:10 am

Are male genitals involved?

With a title like that, you have to ask...
jumpingjacks

Postby RedWine » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:09 pm

It's been a while since I posted this puzzle. As it was not deleted until now, I think You deserve the answers:

Westing1992:

Wearing a wedding ring relevant? Spending long times apart from your spouse? No to both.

GalFisk:

Would it be easier if you were engaged? Single? Yes to both. Widowed? No.
Did you take the last name of your husband? Yes. Relevant? Yes. If so, did you replace your own? Yes. Add it to your own? No.

Alhucema:

Size: of something tangible? Noish.The length of your name? No.

Jumpingjacks:

Are male genitals involved? Not this time.
RedWine

Postby Westing1992 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:43 pm

Does your surname have an odd spelling? Pronunciation? Accent marks?
Westing1992

Postby Doriana » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:21 pm

Do you share your name with anyone relevant (except for your husband, obviously)? If so, a celebrity? a co-worker? your boss?
Doriana

Postby RedWine » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:04 pm

Westing1992:

Does your surname have an odd spelling? No, but spelling is relevant. Pronunciation? Accent marks? No to both.

Doriana:

Do you share your name with anyone relevant (except for your husband, obviously)? If so, a celebrity? a co-worker? your boss? No to all.
RedWine

Postby GalFisk » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:54 pm

Is misspelling relevant? Typing? Autocorrect? Handwriting? Length of the name relevant?
GalFisk

Postby RedWine » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:00 pm

GalFisk:

Is misspelling relevant? No. Typing? No. Autocorrect? No. Handwriting? Yes. Length of the name relevant? No.
RedWine

Postby Westing1992 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:25 pm

Handwriting: Cursive? Printing?
Do you smudge the ink/lead when writing your name?
Dotted i's or crossed t's relevant?
Westing1992

Postby RedWine » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:27 pm

Westing1992:

Handwriting: Cursive? Printing? Just ordinary handwriting.
Do you smudge the ink/lead when writing your name? No.
Dotted i's or crossed t's relevant? No to both.
RedWine

Postby Doriana » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:37 pm

Is accidentally signing papers with your maiden name relevant? getting used to a new signature?
Doriana

Postby RedWine » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:27 pm

Doriana:

Is accidentally signing papers with your maiden name relevant? No, but signing papers is relevant. getting used to a new signature? Somehow. Now, after so much time after I posted this puzzle, I got used to this annoying circumstance and I can handle it much better.
RedWine

Postby Doriana » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:20 am

Does your new signature involve a letter (or letter combination) that is difficult to write? difficult to read?

Are letters such as p, g, or j relevant that extend below the baseline? If so, because they obscure something that's written underneath the signature?
Doriana

Postby RedWine » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:41 am

Doriana:

Does your new signature involve a letter (or letter combination) that is difficult to write? Not by itself, only in given circumstances. OTRT. difficult to read? No.

Are letters such as p, g, or j relevant that extend below the baseline? No. If so, because they obscure something that's written underneath the signature? No.
RedWine

Postby Grip » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:40 pm

Size matters...the size of the letters in your signature? is capitalization vs. lower case relevant here?
Grip

Postby RedWine » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:49 pm

Grip:

Size matters...the size of the letters in your signature? Yesish, there is more relevant feature than size itself. is capitalization vs. lower case relevant here? No.
RedWine

Postby Doriana » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:20 pm

Is the type of pen that you use relevant? If so, ballpoint pen? fountain pen? gel pen? pencil?

Is the shape of a certain letter relevant?
Doriana

Postby RedWine » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:12 pm

Doriana:

Is the type of pen that you use relevant? No. If so, ballpoint pen? fountain pen? gel pen? pencil?

Is the shape of a certain letter relevant? General shape of all letters in my surname is relevant.
RedWine

Postby antesse » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:01 pm

Does your new surname have a lot of similar letters (a's and o's and q's, b's and d's, l's and t's, capital I versus lowercase l)? And thus be hard to write so that all letters are clear?

Does your new surname have letters adjacent that have pen strokes that don't flow well into each other (one letter ending high followed by letter beginning low for example)?
antesse

Postby RedWine » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:18 pm

Antesse:

Does your new surname have a lot of similar letters (a's and o's and q's, b's and d's, l's and t's, capital I versus lowercase l)? No. And thus be hard to write so that all letters are clear? No, all letters in my signature are clear.

Does your new surname have letters adjacent that have pen strokes that don't flow well into each other (one letter ending high followed by letter beginning low for example)? Now when I read your question I see that this may contribute to the problem. I haven't thought about this earlier.
RedWine

Postby Doriana » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:20 pm

Do you have to lift the pen from the paper at some point?
Doriana

Postby RedWine » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:24 pm

Doriana:

Do you have to lift the pen from the paper at some point? Now I don't need to, but at the beginning I had to. This is important that I shouldn't do this in the circumstances of the puzzle. Normally my surname can be written without lifting the pen from the paper.
RedWine

Postby antesse » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:33 pm

Was it just annoying to write your new name because you were so used to writing your old name? So it took you a lot longer to write the letters because you had to think about spelling and pen strokes? And now it's like second nature? Anything related to letters you just don't like writing? (My wife hated the letter F beginning her new surname because the cursive form is difficult and a print form looks weird next to cursive)
antesse

Postby RedWine » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:40 pm

Antesse:

Was it just annoying to write your new name because you were so used to writing your old name? No. So it took you a lot longer to write the letters because you had to think about spelling and pen strokes? No, but somehow OTRT. And now it's like second nature? Well, it is - my job requires me putting my signature dozens of times a day, so I finally overcame the initial troubles.
Anything related to letters you just don't like writing? No. (My wife hated the letter F beginning her new surname because the cursive form is difficult and a print form looks weird next to cursive)
RedWine

Postby antesse » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:46 pm

Long shot here but...

Does your new name include letters or marks that you were not used to from your before life? Letters in non-Latin alphabet? Accent marks? Umlauts? Hyphens? Apostrophes? Clicks?
antesse

Postby RedWine » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:50 pm

Antesse:

Long shot here but...

Does your new name include letters or marks that you were not used to from your before life? Letters in non-Latin alphabet? Accent marks? Umlauts? Hyphens? Apostrophes? Clicks? No to all, sorry. In fact I changed a common surname into as common one. This is more about circumstances in which I put my signature than about the name itself.
RedWine

Postby Grip » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:53 pm

Since you sign your name so much in your line of work, is your new name more of a strain or takes more effort to repeatedly sign than the old one?
Grip

Postby RedWine » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:58 pm

Grip:

Since you sign your name so much in your line of work, is your new name more of a strain or takes more effort to repeatedly sign than the old one? No or irrel.
RedWine

Postby antesse » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:23 pm

Do you have to fill out both the Surname and the Maiden Name box now? And thus have that one extra box to fill in?
antesse

Postby RedWine » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:48 am

Antesse:

Do you have to fill out both the Surname and the Maiden Name box now? No, I need only to put my handwritten signature. And thus have that one extra box to fill in? So no.
RedWine

Postby GalFisk » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:17 pm

Having enough space to write relevant? Do any characters relevantly go especially high? Or low? Symmetry relevant? Or lack thereof?
GalFisk

Postby JenBurdoo » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:25 pm

Is your name hyphenated? Are elements or quirks of Polish relevant? If you had to type the name rather than sign it by hand, would the problem occur?
JenBurdoo

Postby RedWine » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:58 pm

GalFisk:

Having enough space to write relevant? No, but going towards the right track.
Do any characters relevantly go especially high? Or low? Symmetry relevant? Or lack thereof? No to all.

JenBurdoo:

Is your name hyphenated? No. Are elements or quirks of Polish relevant? No.
If you had to type the name rather than sign it by hand, would the problem occur? Probably not. And typed name would not fulfill the circumstances in which the problem occured.
RedWine

Postby antesse » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:30 am

Would you have the same problem if you instead took a different surname? Say, if you married someone with the surname Smith? What if you took the surname Wu? What about Wolfe­schlegel­stein­hausen­berger­dorff? What if you capitalized on your internet identity and changed your surname to Redwine? Would taking a mononym help (only a single name)? Would it be easier to just make a personal mark instead of sign? Would you have the same problem if you made a rubber stamp based on the writing of your name as you would hand-write it and stamped forms?

Specific problem letters relevant? Combinations of letters relevant? Proximity of letters relevant? Too many extra strokes of dotting your i's and j's and crossing your t's? Having to decide whether to dot and cross all at once or one at a time? Too many letters with ups and downs like t, l, b, d, p, q and so forth?
antesse

Postby RedWine » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:10 am

Antesse:

Would you have the same problem if you instead took a different surname? Yes, it would occur with quite many names.
Say, if you married someone with the surname Smith? No problem with Smith.
What if you took the surname Wu? Probably problem with Wu.
What about Wolfe­schlegel­stein­hausen­berger­dorff? No problem with that.
What if you capitalized on your internet identity and changed your surname to Redwine? No problem with Redwine. Actually, it would be the best of all mentioned options.
Would taking a mononym help (only a single name)? It depends on letters in it. Would it be easier to just make a personal mark instead of sign? Impossible within the circumstances.
Would you have the same problem if you made a rubber stamp based on the writing of your name as you would hand-write it and stamped forms? It would solve the problem, but is impossible within the circumstances.

Specific problem letters relevant? No, it's more about general shape. Combinations of letters relevant? No. Proximity of letters relevant? May be a factor.
Too many extra strokes of dotting your i's and j's and crossing your t's? No, not a single i, j or t. Having to decide whether to dot and cross all at once or one at a time? No. Too many letters with ups and downs like t, l, b, d, p, q and so forth? No.
RedWine

Postby GalFisk » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:21 pm

Letters with round edges? Sharp edges? No/few line ends? Lots of ends? A specific letter following another specific letter?
GalFisk

Postby RedWine » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:05 pm

GalFisk:

Letters with round edges? This. Sharp edges? No/few line ends? Lots of ends? A specific letter following another specific letter?

RECAP:
My surname contains a lot of roundish letters. It was the source of my job-related annoyance. My job involves putting my signature on documents in a specific way.
RedWine

Postby GalFisk » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:20 pm

Do different round letters tend to look the same? Are you supposed to sign your name so it is easily legible? So the round letters are circular?
GalFisk

Postby RedWine » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:25 pm

GalFisk:

Do different round letters tend to look the same? No or irrel. Are you supposed to sign your name so it is easily legible? No. So the round letters are circular? Yes.
RedWine

Postby antesse » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:00 am

Do you have to write your name vertically? Like:
N
A
M
E

Do you have to write your name in a series of boxes or bubbles one letter at a time?

Do you have to sign letters (as in after "Sincerely")? Contracts? Forms? Slips of paper? Tags? Do you have to sign multiple times in a page? Do you ever have to initial instead? Do other people have to sign at the same time as you do?

Is the purpose of the signature to identify yourself? (This is the paperwork of Mrs Redwine) Or to indicate that you have approved/agreed/certified/supervised/promised/etc? (Mrs Redwine has checked this document and is "signing off" on it)

Is your workplace language relevant?

Do the round letters get confused with zeroes?

Do round letters interact with the box or blank or line so that they appear as something else?
antesse

Postby GalFisk » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:45 am

Are you forced to fit circular letters into tall and/or narrow spaces? Do you need to make them very small? Overly large?
GalFisk

Postby RedWine » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:17 am

Antesse:

Do you have to write your name vertically? No. Like:
N
A
M
E

Do you have to write your name in a series of boxes or bubbles one letter at a time? No.

Do you have to sign letters (as in after "Sincerely")? Contracts? This mainly. Forms? Slips of paper? Tags? Do you have to sign multiple times in a page? No, but OTRT. Do you ever have to initial instead? No. Do other people have to sign at the same time as you do? No, they sign papers only once, I do it multiple times on each contract.

Is the purpose of the signature to identify yourself? No. (This is the paperwork of Mrs Redwine) Or to indicate that you have approved/agreed/certified/supervised/promised/etc? (Mrs Redwine has checked this document and is "signing off" on it) This. I legalize documents.

Is your workplace language relevant? No.

Do the round letters get confused with zeroes? No.

Do round letters interact with the box or blank or line so that they appear as something else? No, but very much OTRT.

GalFisk:

Are you forced to fit circular letters into tall and/or narrow spaces? No. Do you need to make them very small? No. Overly large? This is how I initially tried to deal with the problem, but it wasn't a good solution because the signature seemed not natural.
RedWine

Postby GalFisk » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:34 pm

Relevant what sort of pen you use? What sort of ink? Do you write your signature on a digital device? Do the round letters look like other letters? Like not letters?
GalFisk

Postby RedWine » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:09 pm

GalFisk:

Relevant what sort of pen you use? No. What sort of ink? No. Do you write your signature on a digital device? No.
Do the round letters look like other letters? No. Like not letters? Noish.
RedWine

Postby RedWine » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:23 am

HINT: My job is to sign papers in the way that would ensure that switching any page is impossible. You don't need more information about the signature itself (letters etc.).
RedWine

Postby Doriana » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:48 am

Do you fold over the edge of a document and then sign all pages at once? (Not sure if that's the best description, but I mean something like the stamp in the upper left corner here)
Doriana

Postby RedWine » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:36 am

Doriana:

Do you fold over the edge of a document and then sign all pages at once? No, but the concept is not away from the right forest. (Not sure if that's the best description, but I mean something like the stamp in the upper left corner here)
RedWine

Postby Doriana » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:49 pm

Do you sign every page of the document? If so, do you put your full signature on every page? Parts of it?
Doriana

Postby GalFisk » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:39 pm

Does your signature need to look visibly different on the different pages?
GalFisk

Postby RedWine » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:42 am

Doriana:

Do you sign every page of the document? Yes. If so, do you put your full signature on every page? No. Parts of it? Yes, explore.

GalFisk:

Does your signature need to look visibly different on the different pages? No.
RedWine

Postby Grip » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:20 pm

On some pages, do you simply use one or more initials to sign with?
Grip

Postby RedWine » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:38 am

Grip:

On some pages, do you simply use one or more initials to sign with? No, initials are not right to use, it has to be a signature (full surname).
RedWine

Postby GalFisk » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:15 pm

Are pages see-through? Do you put different parts of your signature on different pages? Are pages interleaved with copy paper? Do you sign multiple pages at once, using copy paper? Some other copy method?
GalFisk

Postby RedWine » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:12 pm

GalFisk:

Are pages see-through? No. Do you put different parts of your signature on different pages? It is the unintended result, but may be misleading.
Are pages interleaved with copy paper? No. Do you sign multiple pages at once, using copy paper? No. Some other copy method? No, the original signature is needed on each page.
RedWine

Postby Balin » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:35 pm

Is the length of your surname relevant?
Balin

Postby RedWine » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:38 pm

Balin:

Is the length of your surname relevant? No, but good thought. Very short surnames could cause similar problem.
RedWine

Postby GalFisk » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:25 pm

Do all nearly circular letters produce this problem? Would someone with significantly different handwriting from yours have this problem? Do round letters tend to end up partially overlapping for you?
GalFisk

Postby RedWine » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:56 pm

GalFisk:

Do all nearly circular letters produce this problem? Yes. Would someone with significantly different handwriting from yours have this problem? Difficult to say. Do round letters tend to end up partially overlapping for you? No.

HINT: The problem occurs only at work and is caused by the specific way in which the documents must be signed by me. It is important that I legalize documents, therefore I need to put my signatures on the pages in a way that prevents switching, adding, replacing, removing the pages of the documents.
RedWine

Postby GalFisk » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:24 pm

Do you need to add numbering as part of your signature? Such as "Red1of3Wine"? Do the circles look like zeroes?
GalFisk

Postby Doriana » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:58 pm

Do you put one letter on each page? Do some letters look like each other? So that the pages could be switched?
Doriana

Postby RedWine » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:40 pm

GalFisk:

Do you need to add numbering as part of your signature? No. Such as "Red1of3Wine"? No. Do the circles look like zeroes? No.

Doriana:

Do you put one letter on each page? No. Do some letters look like each other? No. So that the pages could be switched? But yes.
RedWine

Postby Doriana » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:45 pm

Do any letters look like numbers?
Doriana

Postby GalFisk » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:10 am

Do the signatures follow a sequence? Do all signatures contain indications about the total number of pages? Of the current page? Do you put your signature on top of something relevant? Such as on top of page numbers? Do the circles make it look like you tried to alter something? Do they obscure something?
GalFisk

Postby RedWine » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:53 am

Doriana:

Do any letters look like numbers? No.

GalFisk:

Do the signatures follow a sequence? No. Do all signatures contain indications about the total number of pages? No. Of the current page? No.
Do you put your signature on top of something relevant? I put it on top of official stamp, but more relevantly I put stamp and signature on a relevant place on the pages. Such as on top of page numbers? No.
Do the circles make it look like you tried to alter something? YES, why? Do they obscure something? No.
RedWine

Postby Doriana » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:13 am

Do you put your signature next to the page number? Does, e.g., placing an o next to page number 1 make it look like page number 10?
Doriana

Postby RedWine » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:54 am

Doriana:

Do you put your signature next to the page number? No. Does, e.g., placing an o next to page number 1 make it look like page number 10? No. Page numbers are not relevant.
RedWine

Postby Doriana » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:30 am

Do you put stamp and signature on top of a printed part of the page? on top of a blank part?
Doriana

Postby GalFisk » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:53 pm

Do you put them at the: bottom? Top? Left? Right? Center? In a designated location? Near relevant text? Near relevant graphics? A letterhead? Near a relevant physical feature of the paper? Such as holes? Watermarks? A tearable edge?
GalFisk

Postby RedWine » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:51 pm

Doriana:

Do you put stamp and signature on top of a printed part of the page? on top of a blank part? Every page of a document that has multiple pages, regardless to the content or lack of content. I do not place stamp and signature this way on an one-page document.

GalFisk:

Do you put them at the: bottom? Top? Left? Right? Center? Thisish or please rephrase. In a designated location? The general placement is described in the law, but I wouldn't call it "designated location".
Near relevant text? Near relevant graphics? A letterhead? No to all.
Near a relevant physical feature of the paper? Technically speaking, yes.
Such as holes? Watermarks? No to these. A tearable edge? No, but edge is relevant.
RedWine

Postby GalFisk » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:56 am

Edge: edge of the paper? If so: upper? Lower? Left? Right? Edge in the paper? A folding edge/crease? Edge of something on the paper? Does the pen hit anything relevant when you write? Such as an edge? A ruler? A crease?
GalFisk

Postby RedWine » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:09 pm

GalFisk:

Edge: edge of the paper? Yesish. If so: upper? Lower? Left? Right? Left of one page, right of another page. Edge in the paper? No, but... A folding edge/crease? ...folding edge is OTRT. Edge of something on the paper? No.
Does the pen hit anything relevant when you write? Yes. Such as an edge? Yes. A ruler? No. A crease? No.
RedWine

Postby GalFisk » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:20 am

Are two pages on the same sheet of paper? Is your signature supposed to span those pages? Are the round letters supposed to span a folded edge? But when you write the pen hits the edge and the letters get flattened/end up on only one of the pages?
GalFisk

Postby RedWine » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:02 pm

GalFisk:

Are two pages on the same sheet of paper? No.
Is your signature supposed to span those pages? Are the round letters supposed to span a folded edge? But when you write the pen hits the edge and the letters get flattened/end up on only one of the pages?
YES to all.

***********SPOILER*************
When legalizing documents that consist of more than one page, I'm supposed to put the stamp and signature across the folded edges of two sheets of paper. The idea is that if anyone switched any page, they would be unable to "continue" the signature accurately.
My husband's surname consist of roundish letters and when I write it on top of the edges, the pen falls a bit on the edge and the letter ends up whole on one page. This makes signature look unnatural and, more importantly, does not meet the aim of signing documents across the folding.

Thanks for playing.
RedWine

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles