[Doriana] Paperback Writer

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: kalira, peter365, JenBurdoo, Balin, Tiger

[Doriana] Paperback Writer

Postby Doriana » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:38 pm

The third book of a well-known book series contains a specific sentence. The writer of the series (H/A/F) decided to include this exact sentence in all subsequent books in the series. Why?

Based on a tumblr post that was shared in a facebook group that at least one other puzzler is a member of. Not sure how well-known this anecdote is, but please PM for possible §poilers if you think you know this one.
Last edited by Doriana on Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doriana

Re: [Doriana] Paperback Writer

Postby KayleeArafinwiel » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:50 pm

Is the author J.K. Rowling?
Is the book Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban?
Is the Facebook group Ilvermorny?

If it is, I haven't seen the tumblr post (really!) and will stay off Ilvermorny for a while to avoid $poilers. I can't think of any specific sentence that appeared in PoA and all subsequent HP books off the top of my head...
KayleeArafinwiel

Postby Doriana » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:55 pm

Is the author J.K. Rowling? Yes
Is the book Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban? Yes
Is the Facebook group Ilvermorny? Yes, for those of you who are not familiar with the Harry Potter universerse: Ilvermorny is the North American wizarding school, similar to Hogwarts, and Kaylee and I are both members of an Ilvermorny group on FB. However, there's no Harry Potter knowledge required to solve this puzzle :)

If it is, I haven't seen the tumblr post (really!) and will stay off Ilvermorny for a while to avoid $poilers. I can't think of any specific sentence that appeared in PoA and all subsequent HP books off the top of my head... In that case, feel free to participate, but don't feel forced to stay off Ilvermorny just for the sake of the puzzle!
Doriana

Postby KayleeArafinwiel » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:04 pm

However, there's no Harry Potter knowledge required to solve this puzzle :)

,,,o.O The Kaylee kitteh is confused! Wouldn't it be helpful to know what sentence it was? *is baffled kitteh* I should know, I'm sure, but I honestly reread the fanfic-verse "Dangerverse" more than the HP books themselves *shame* so I can't remember (In my defense, Tortie owns almost half the books outright, including PoA, and either took all the books with her when she went to college/on subsequent stuff-moving when she got her own place, or else I just can't find them in her old room since it's now mostly storage.)
KayleeArafinwiel

Postby Grip » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:05 pm

Does the sentence occur in the film? (I've only seen the film and haven't read the book.)
Grip

Postby Doriana » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:08 pm

Wouldn't it be helpful to know what sentence it was? While this might be helpful, it is not necessary in order to solve the puzzle. HP plot and characters are not relevant to the puzzle :)
Doriana

Postby biograd » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:14 pm

Is the sentence part of the actual story (as opposed to, for example, a copyright statement, a mention of the publisher, or a dedication)?
biograd

Postby Grip » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:19 pm

I'll have to use the Time-Turner, as you missed this question first time around. :)

Does the sentence occur in the film? (I've only seen the film and haven't read the book.)
Grip

Postby jumpingjacks » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:55 pm

Has it been deliberately repeated as a sort of easter egg? inside joke? Or is there a plot-related reason why it has to be repeated exactly? Is it a quote? Eg. a quote from a prophecy? A spell? The Marauder's Map is introduced in POA - together with the sentence, "I solemnly swear that I am up to no good." Is this the sentence? Is it some other magical sentence?

Is it something that is said by the narrator? By a character? By Harry? Hermione? Ron? Dumbledore? Other? Is the sentence associated with a character? Voldie?
jumpingjacks

Postby Doriana » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:06 pm

biograd

Is the sentence part of the actual story (as opposed to, for example, a copyright statement, a mention of the publisher, or a dedication)? Yes

Grip

I'll have to use the Time-Turner, as you missed this question first time around. :) Apologies!

Does the sentence occur in the film? (I've only seen the film and haven't read the book.) I don't know, and for the puzzle it's irrel whether it does

jumpingjacks

Has it been deliberately repeated as a sort of easter egg? Yes for svv of 'easter egg' inside joke? Yes for svv of 'inside joke' Or is there a plot-related reason why it has to be repeated exactly? Is it a quote? Eg. a quote from a prophecy? A spell? The Marauder's Map is introduced in POA - together with the sentence, "I solemnly swear that I am up to no good." Is this the sentence? Is it some other magical sentence? No to rest

Is it something that is said by the narrator? This By a character? By Harry? Hermione? Ron? Dumbledore? Other? Is the sentence associated with a character? Voldie? No to rest
Doriana

Postby Grip » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:35 pm

Is the sentence humorous?
Grip

Postby Doriana » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:40 pm

Is the sentence humorous? No
Doriana

Postby Grip » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:46 pm

Is the sentence used in the same context each time?

Is the sentence a bit of description?

Was the sentence used as subtle clue to what would happen later in the series?
Grip

Postby irishelk » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:53 pm

Ooh, I love this puzzle already and I don't even know the solution! Also, I had a puzzle called Paperback Writer a few years ago. Great minds think alike. :D

Does the repetition of the sentence do something plot-wise? For example, does it show that something remains the same over time? Or highlight something that changes? Given that it happens in the third book, does it relate to time travel? Does it imply something that readers otherwise would not know?
irishelk

Postby Balin » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:38 pm

PM on the way.
Balin

Postby Doriana » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:05 pm

Is the sentence used in the same context each time? I don't know, but the context the sentence occurs in is irrel

Is the sentence a bit of description? Yes, it describes an action

Was the sentence used as subtle clue to what would happen later in the series? No

Does the repetition of the sentence do something plot-wise? For example, does it show that something remains the same over time? Or highlight something that changes? Given that it happens in the third book, does it relate to time travel? Does it imply something that readers otherwise would not know? No to all
Doriana

Postby jumpingjacks » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:35 am

Does the sentence refer to something that happened in the real world? Harry Potter fan fiction relevant? The fan community? Did a fan do or say something relevant, and so had a sentence referring to them in the book? A tribute?
jumpingjacks

Postby Doriana » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:56 am

Does the sentence refer to something that happened in the real world? No, not "refer to", but her decision to include the sentence was because of something that happened in the real world
Harry Potter fan fiction relevant? The fan community? Did a fan do or say something relevant, and so had a sentence referring to them in the book? A tribute? No to rest
Last edited by Doriana on Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doriana

Postby peter365 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:21 am

I've sent you a PM Doriana
peter365

Postby jumpingjacks » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:16 pm

Something that happened in the real world - something that happened to JK Rowling herself? Something related to Harry Potter? Some unrelated public event? Something in another book? Hollywood? politics? social media?
jumpingjacks

Postby Doriana » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:56 pm

Something that happened in the real world - something that happened to JK Rowling herself? yope Something related to Harry Potter? yes Some unrelated public event? Something in another book? Hollywood? politics? social media? no to rest
Doriana

Postby jumpingjacks » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:12 pm

Was the real world event something to do with:
the HP films? HP merchandise? HP tours? Platform 9 and 3/4s in Kings Cross? The Pottermore website? HP audio books? Fantastic Beasts?

Come to think of it, many of these things wouldn't have existed at the time of her writing POA... did this real world event happen as she was writing the third book? In between the third and fourth books? Or did it happen later, and she then decided to include the sentence in later editions?
jumpingjacks

Postby Doriana » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:32 pm

Was the real world event something to do with:
the HP films? HP merchandise? HP tours? Platform 9 and 3/4s in Kings Cross? The Pottermore website? HP audio books? This! Good q! Fantastic Beasts?

Come to think of it, many of these things wouldn't have existed at the time of her writing POA... did this real world event happen as she was writing the third book? No In between the third and fourth books? One relevant thing happened between the third and the fourth book, and one other earlier relevant thing happened between the first and the second book. Or did it happen later, and she then decided to include the sentence in later editions? No
Doriana

Postby Grip » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:00 pm

Is the narrator of the British audio books relevant? the American? other version narrator?

Is pronunciation of a certain or words relevant?
Grip

Postby Doriana » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:16 pm

Is the narrator of the British audio books relevant? This the American? other version narrator?

Is pronunciation of a certain or words relevant? Yes!
Doriana

Postby jumpingjacks » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:24 pm

Stephen Fry? Does he pronounce a certain word in an amusing way? Does the sentence make him stutter or cause other pronunciation difficulties? Does Rowling include the sentence to please him? To amuse him? To annoy him? To amuse herself when she hears him say it?
jumpingjacks

Postby Grip » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:45 am

Did Steven Fry pronounce the T in Voldemort when the name comes from French and the T was supposed to be silent? if so, relevant?
Last edited by Grip on Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grip

Postby irishelk » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:47 pm

Gasp! I just realized I know this one. Good idea for a puzzle.
irishelk

Postby Doriana » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:43 am

Stephen Fry? Yes Does he pronounce a certain word in an amusing way? Yes Does the sentence make him stutter or cause other pronunciation difficulties? Yes, he stutters on a certain word. Does Rowling include the sentence to please him? To amuse him? To annoy him? This To amuse herself when she hears him say it? Possibly also this

Did Steven Fry pronounce the T in Voldemort when the name comes from French and the T was supposed to be silent? if so, relevant? Good idea, but not relevant

Great round of questions! Now, what reason did JKR have to annoy Stephen Fry?
Doriana

Postby jumpingjacks » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:04 pm

Had he been rude to her previously? Did he criticise the books? Her? The characters? The writing? Was he arrogant? Condescending? He always seems kinda arrogant to me...
jumpingjacks

Postby Doriana » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:14 pm

Had he been rude to her previously? yesish Did he criticise the books? yesish Her? no The characters? no The writing? yesish Was he arrogant? yes Condescending? yes He always seems kinda arrogant to me...

Well done! It's time for the

********SPOILER********

Stephen Fry was offered the role of narrating the Harry Potter audio books after the first book had come out. However, he hadn't read the books himself and was simply told that it was a children's book. When he met J.K. Rowling and she told him that she was writing a sequel, he condescendingly replied, "Good for you". Fast forward to the third book, which contains the sentence "He pocketed it". Fry had trouble pronouncing it, it kept coming out as "He pocketeded it". He asked JKR if he could say "He put it in his pocket" instead, to which she said no. She then included the same sentence in every subsequent book of the series to annoy Stephen Fry and get revenge for his condescending comment.

Thanks to those who played as well as those who sent in early spoilers. I have been informed that WiZ run more or less the same puzzle in February 2016 - apologies for the repost.
Doriana

Postby Balin » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:26 pm

Still a hilarious story the second time around.
Balin

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles