[GalFisk] Well, I never!

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[GalFisk] Well, I never!

Postby GalFisk » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:07 am

It has never happened to me, but I imagine bleaning must be a very frustrating exeprience.
Last edited by GalFisk on Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GalFisk

Re: [GalFisk] Well, I never!

Postby Doriana » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:47 pm

Can bleaning happen to men? women? babies? children? teenagers?

Does it involve communication? technology? work? money? food? other people?

LTPF relevant?
Doriana

Postby GalFisk » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:41 pm

Can bleaning happen to men? women? Yes to both. babies? No. children? teenagers? Yes to both.

Does it involve communication? technology? Yes to both. work? money? food? No to all. other people? Indirectly.

LTPF relevant? No.
GalFisk

Postby Doriana » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:29 pm

Is the internet relevant? phone calls? text messages? e-mail?
Doriana

Postby GalFisk » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:45 pm

Is the internet relevant? No. phone calls? Likely,
but not necessarily.
text messages? e-mail? No to both.
GalFisk

Postby Grip » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:40 pm

Is bleaning physically painful?
Grip

Postby GalFisk » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:52 am

Is bleaning physically painful? No.
GalFisk

Postby Grip » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:28 am

Does bleaning cause emotional distress? financial?

Are cell/smart phones relevant?
Grip

Postby GalFisk » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:14 am

Does bleaning cause emotional distress? financial? Both.

Are cell/smart phones relevant? Yes.
GalFisk

Postby Doriana » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:39 am

Accidentally calling someone relevant? If so, emergency services? Someone abroad?
Forgetting to hang up relevant?
Doriana

Postby Grip » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:16 pm

Does bleaning involve getting charged for smartphone services?
Grip

Postby GalFisk » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:17 am

Accidentally calling someone relevant? If so, emergency services? Someone abroad?
Forgetting to hang up relevant? No to all.

Does bleaning involve getting charged for smartphone services? No.
GalFisk

Postby Hobbsicle » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:40 am

Does it involve damage to the phone? Dropping it? Damage to something else? Something that you do while distracted by the phone?
Hobbsicle

Postby GalFisk » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:08 am

Does it involve damage to the phone? Dropping it? Damage to something else? Something that you do while distracted by the phone? No to all.
GalFisk

Postby Hobbsicle » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:26 pm

Might you bean while in conversation on the phone? After the conversation is finished? Communication with someone specific relevant? Bluetooth relevant? Headphones?
Hobbsicle

Postby GalFisk » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:29 pm

Might you bean while in conversation on the phone? Yes. After the conversation is finished? Depends on what you do after. Communication with someone specific relevant? No. Bluetooth relevant? Yes.
Headphones? If they use bluetooth.
GalFisk

Postby Hobbsicle » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:57 am

Does it relate to losing connection? Suddenly being connected to something else? Does it relate to appearing to be talking to oneself? Or someone physically present?
Hobbsicle

Postby GalFisk » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:59 am

Does it relate to losing connection? Yes to this, no to the rest. Suddenly being connected to something else? Does it relate to appearing to be talking to oneself? Or someone physically present?
GalFisk

Postby Hobbsicle » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:52 am

So it partially involves losing connection while using a bluetooth, say, during a phone call? Is the connection lost as a result of the person's actions? For another specific reason? Could you also blean while listening to music over Bluetooth?
Hobbsicle

Postby GalFisk » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:04 am

So it partially involves losing connection while using a bluetooth, say, during a phone call? Yes. Is the connection lost as a result of the person's actions? Yes. For another specific reason? This too.
Could you also blean while listening to music over Bluetooth? Yes.
GalFisk

Postby JenBurdoo » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:20 pm

Is it relevant that you misspelled 'experience' in the puzzle statement?
JenBurdoo

Postby GalFisk » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:59 pm

Is it relevant that you misspelled 'experience' in the puzzle statement? No, it's just a consequence of LTPFing from my phone.
GalFisk

Postby Hobbsicle » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:48 am

Could you blean alone in a field naked with nothing but the phone and headset (there's an image for you)? Does it require you to be in a specific location? Or with another relevant item?
Hobbsicle

Postby GalFisk » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:22 am

Could you blean alone in a field naked with nothing but the phone and headset (there's an image for you)? Haha, no you can't. Does it require you to be in a specific location? Yesish, explore. Or with another relevant item? Yope, explore.
GalFisk

Postby Hobbsicle » Sat May 06, 2017 3:04 am

Can you blean in your bedroom? In a park? In a car? In another form of transportation? In an office building? Does it require someone else to be nearby?
Hobbsicle

Postby GalFisk » Sat May 06, 2017 5:53 am

Can you blean in your bedroom? Very unlikely but not impossible.In a park? Possibly.In a car? Unlikely In another form of transportation? Yes,
explorr.
In an office building? Unlikely but not impossible. Does it require someone else to be nearby? Yesish.
GalFisk

Postby Hobbsicle » Mon May 08, 2017 6:40 pm

Might you blean on a train? On a plane? On a bus?

Is the connection lost by interacting with the phone? With the headset/earpiece? Does bleaning also involve what a person does as a result of losing connection?
Hobbsicle

Postby GalFisk » Tue May 09, 2017 7:11 am

Might you blean on a train? On a plane? On a bus? Yes to all. Plane may be less likely.

Is the connection lost by interacting with the phone? No. With the headset/earpiece? Yesish. Does bleaning also involve what a person does as a result of losing connection? No.
GalFisk

Postby JenBurdoo » Sun May 14, 2017 9:53 pm

Is movement relevant? Is a person who bleans in motion at the time? Is electronic interference relevant? Do buildings, trees, etc block a signal?
JenBurdoo

Postby GalFisk » Mon May 15, 2017 6:38 am

Is movement relevant? Yes. Is a person who bleans in motion at the time? Not necessarily. Is electronic interference relevant? Do buildings, trees, etc block a signal? No to both.
GalFisk

Postby Hobbsicle » Sat May 20, 2017 2:19 am

Does it involve something you do with your hands? With your head? Let's say for now this is on a train: would it matter whether the train was in motion? Are the actions of others relevant? Could you blean if you were the only one in your train car?
Hobbsicle

Postby GalFisk » Sat May 20, 2017 4:40 am

Does it involve something you do with your hands? With your head? No to both. Let's say for now this is on a train: would it matter whether the train was in motion? Yes. Are the actions of others relevant? In this scenario, only the train driver. Could you blean if you were the only one in your train car? Yes.
GalFisk

Postby Hobbsicle » Fri May 26, 2017 3:08 pm

So bleaning would cause financial loss? When you lose connection, are you able to get reconnected? Would you have to purchase a new headset?

In the train scenario, would it be moving? Stopped? Accelerating? Decelerating?
Hobbsicle

Postby irishelk » Fri May 26, 2017 3:11 pm

WAG: Static electricity relevant? I know that if I ever give myself a static shock it can also cut power to my headphones...doubly annoying...
irishelk

Postby GalFisk » Fri May 26, 2017 8:17 pm

So bleaning would cause financial loss? Possibly. When you lose connection, are you able to get reconnected? NO.Would you have to purchase a new headset? No, but...
In the train scenario, would it be moving? Yes.Stopped? No.Accelerating? Yes. Decelerating? No.

WAG: Static electricity relevant? I know that if I ever give myself a static shock it can also cut power to my headphones...doubly annoying... No, but that would be annoying.
GalFisk

Postby biograd » Fri May 26, 2017 11:37 pm

Does bleaning make one think that a mobile device or set of headphones is broken when it isn't? Is the malfunction (i.e. loss of signal) caused in some way by the motion of the train? or does the motion of the train somehow obscure the actual cause of the malfunction?
biograd

Postby GalFisk » Sat May 27, 2017 1:32 am

Does bleaning make one think that a mobile device or set of headphones is broken when it isn't? Possibly, but not for long. Is the malfunction (i.e. loss of signal) caused in some way by the motion of the train? Yes. or does the motion of the train somehow obscure the actual cause of the malfunction? No.
GalFisk

Postby Hobbsicle » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:09 am

Would you be just as likely to blean when the train is going at a constant speed? Or is the force of acceleration relevant? When you blean, does the phone stay in the pocket? Does the earpiece stay in the ear? You can't reconnect because...the phone is broken? The earpiece is broken? Because you can't perform whatever action is necessary to reconnect?
Hobbsicle

Postby GalFisk » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:58 am

Would you be just as likely to blean when the train is going at a constant speed? No. Or is the force of acceleration relevant? But no. When you blean, does the phone stay in the pocket? No. Does the earpiece stay in the ear? Yes. You can't reconnect because...the phone is broken? The earpiece is broken? No to both. Because you can't perform whatever action is necessary to reconnect? Correct.
GalFisk

Postby irishelk » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:32 pm

Is there a relevant object external to the train? A relevant object inside the train? Any other clothing on the person relevant? Does something get between the headset and the phone? Does the Bluetooth device mistakenly connect to another device in the area, thus dropping the call?

Is the connection lost between: phone and headset? phone and cell phone tower? Is there in fact still a connection, but the bleaner cannot hear it?

Wait, wait, I've got it: A skydiver lands on top of the train, and the parachute blocks signal to the tower. =)
irishelk

Postby GalFisk » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:46 pm

Is there a relevant object external to the train? A relevant object inside the train? The relevant object can either be inside the train, or outside but not attached to the train. Any other clothing on the person relevant? No. Does something get between the headset and the phone? For svv of "thing". Does the Bluetooth device mistakenly connect to another device in the area, thus dropping the call? No.

Is the connection lost between: phone and headset? This, no to the rest.phone and cell phone tower? Is there in fact still a connection, but the bleaner cannot hear it?

Wait, wait, I've got it: A skydiver lands on top of the train, and the parachute blocks signal to the tower. =) Haha,
no.
GalFisk

Postby Hobbsicle » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:23 pm

Are you only unable to reconnect while on the train? Once you get off, would you be able to reconnect? Is the "something" that gets between the headset and the phone: another signal? Electromagnetic field? A gas? Liquid? Something solid? Is the "relevant object" the something? The source of the something?
Hobbsicle

Postby GalFisk » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:29 pm

Are you only unable to reconnect while on the train? No, not only. Once you get off, would you be able to reconnect? No, because... Is the "something" that gets between the headset and the phone: another signal? Electromagnetic field? A gas? Liquid? Something solid? Is the "relevant object" the something? The source of the something? No to all.
GalFisk

Postby irishelk » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:19 pm

Is the something a person? The person doing the bleaning? The train conductor?
If not...is the something a signal of any kind? A sound? A combination of solid, liquid and/or gas? Something else intangible?

You said the driver of the train is relevant--is this just because of the acceleration of the train? Do they do anything else? Maybe make an announcement over the speaker system?
irishelk

Postby GalFisk » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:03 am

Is the something a person? The person doing the bleaning? The train conductor?
If not...is the something a signal of any kind? A sound? A combination of solid, liquid and/or gas? Something else intangible? This.

You said the driver of the train is relevant--is this just because of the acceleration of the train? Correct. Do they do anything else? Irr. Maybe make an announcement over the speaker system?
GalFisk

Postby biograd » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:17 am

Does bleaning occur only with wireless headsets? or also with wired ones?

Is the relevance of the "other object" the fact that the train accelerates relative to it? Does the acceleration cause a relative change in air pressure? cause the headset to shift on the wearer's head?
biograd

Postby GalFisk » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:01 am

Does bleaning occur only with wireless headsets? Yes. or also with wired ones? No, that's impossible.

Is the relevance of the "other object" the fact that the train accelerates relative to it? If it's ouside the train, it stays while the train moves. If it's inside, it moves with the train. Does the acceleration cause a relative change in air pressure? cause the headset to shift on the wearer's head? Both irr.
GalFisk

Postby Hobbsicle » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:30 pm

There are two distinct mystery things we're looking for, yes? An object, and an intangible something? And the object does not produce the intangible?

Is the intangible light? Radiation?

Is the person physically incapable of doing the actions necessary to reconnect? Or is the headset itself incapable of connecting?

If the person was listening to music and fell asleep on the accelerating train, could they still blean?
Hobbsicle

Postby GalFisk » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:39 pm

There are two distinct mystery things we're looking for, yes? An object, and an intangible something? Correct. And the object does not produce the intangible? Correct.

Is the intangible light? Radiation? No to both.

Is the person physically incapable of doing the actions necessary to reconnect? Yesish. Or is the headset itself incapable of connecting? Correct.

If the person was listening to music and fell asleep on the accelerating train, could they still blean? Unlikely but not impossible.
GalFisk

Postby SurfingPikachu » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:03 am

Errr, does "bleaning" stand for "bluetooth earpiece not working"?
SurfingPikachu

Postby GalFisk » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:26 am

Errr, does "bleaning" stand for "bluetooth Yes to this.
earpiece not working"? But no to these. Nice guess though.
GalFisk

Postby biograd » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:03 pm

Can the headset not connect because its battery is out of charge? because it's trying to connect to some other device in the area, other than the phone (for example, another person's phone)? because it's too far from the phone for the signal to reach? because it is somehow switched off?
biograd

Postby GalFisk » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:17 am

Can the headset not connect because its battery is out of charge? because it's trying to connect to some other device in the area, other than the phone (for example, another person's phone)? because it's too far from the phone for the signal to reach? This. because it is somehow switched off?
GalFisk

Postby Hobbsicle » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:10 am

Ah, so does the phone get left at the station in the train scenario? Or does the phone get subsequently dropped or left behind? And "distance" would be the intangible?
Hobbsicle

Postby GalFisk » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:29 pm

Ah, so does the phone get left at the station in the train scenario? Or does the phone get subsequently dropped or left behind? And "distance" would be the intangible?
Spoiler:
"Bleaning" is when your conversation or music suddenly cuts out, and you realize that you forgot your phone on (or off) public transport, which just left.
Etymology: "bluetooth" and "leaving", but with the v swapped out for less obviousness.
Good job, everyone.
GalFisk

Re: [GalFisk] Well, I never! (SOLVED)

Postby Hobbsicle » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:00 pm

I really liked this one.
Hobbsicle

Re: [GalFisk] Well, I never! (SOLVED)

Postby irishelk » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:34 pm

Oh no! Great neologism.
irishelk

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles