[IrishElk] Monster

Current and recently solved lateral thinking puzzles. Please post new lateral thinking puzzles here.

Moderators: kalira, peter365, JenBurdoo, Balin, Tiger

[IrishElk] Monster

Postby irishelk » Sat May 06, 2017 1:52 pm

Amy's business card was proof of Diana's outrageously immoral behavior.
irishelk

Re: [IrishElk] Monster

Postby GalFisk » Sat May 06, 2017 3:17 pm

Amy: h? A? F? Diana: h? A? F? Amy's card: a card for her business? A card given to her? Is a specific card the proof? Any of her business cards? Immoral behaviour: financial? Criminal? Romantic? Sexual? Interpersonal? Ten commandments relevant? Seven deadly sins? Amy's business relevant? Diana's profession? Does one of them inhabit a different universe from the other? Such as Diana being a character in Amy's fiction? Is Amy affected by Diana's behaviour? If so: positively? Negatively? Both? Neither?
GalFisk

Postby irishelk » Sun May 07, 2017 12:02 pm

GalFisk

Amy: h? A? F? Diana: h? A? F? Yes to all.
Amy's card: a card for her business? This. A card given to her? Is a specific card the proof? Yes. Any of her business cards? No.
Immoral behaviour: financial? Yes. Criminal? I believe a misdemeanor. Romantic? Sexual? No. Interpersonal? Yes.
Ten commandments relevant? No. Seven deadly sins? Not directly, but there's certainly some avarice going on.
Amy's business relevant? Yes. Diana's profession? No. Does one of them inhabit a different universe from the other? Such as Diana being a character in Amy's fiction? No, but great WAG! Is Amy affected by Diana's behaviour? Yes. If so: positively? This. Negatively? Both? Neither?
irishelk

Postby Balin » Mon May 08, 2017 11:05 am

Is the card an ordinary business card? Is there anything unique or special about it?
Is Diana a customer of Amy's business?
Is Amy relevantly in possession of the business card? Is Diana?
Fingerprints relevant?
Balin

Postby irishelk » Mon May 08, 2017 2:58 pm

Balin

Is the card an ordinary business card? Yes. Is there anything unique or special about it? Only that it is specific to Amy and her job.
Is Diana a customer of Amy's business? No.
Is Amy relevantly in possession of the business card? She is relevantly not. Is Diana? Also not.
Fingerprints relevant? No.
irishelk

Postby GalFisk » Tue May 09, 2017 7:14 am

Bribery relevant? Does Diana work for Amy? Intentionally do things to benefit Amy? Create problems for Amy to fix? Is the card in possession of another person?
GalFisk

Postby irishelk » Tue May 09, 2017 10:47 am

GalFisk

Bribery relevant? No. Does Diana work for Amy? No. Intentionally do things to benefit Amy? Yes. Create problems for Amy to fix? No. Is the card in possession of another person? YES.
irishelk

Postby JenBurdoo » Sun May 14, 2017 9:57 pm

Is Amy a lawyer? The sort who chases ambulances? Does she witness Diana's immorality? Does she give the card to someone else? Perhaps with something extra scribbled on it? Will she get extra business from the consequences of Diana's immorality?
JenBurdoo

Postby irishelk » Mon May 15, 2017 1:31 pm

JenBurdoo

Is Amy a lawyer? No, but... The sort who chases ambulances? There is something similar to this going on.
Does she witness Diana's immorality? No. Does she give the card to someone else? Does Amy? No. Perhaps with something extra scribbled on it? No. Will she get extra business from the consequences of Diana's immorality? Yes.
irishelk

Postby trebor » Wed May 17, 2017 7:14 am

Is Amy aware of Diana? Does Diana at one point possess Amy's business card, and then relevantly give it to someone else? Does Diana receive kickbacks from Amy? Does Diana profit financially from this set-up? Before Amy does? Simultaneously? After?

The third person: H?A?F? Is their profession relevant?
trebor

Postby irishelk » Thu May 18, 2017 11:13 pm

trebor

Is Amy aware of Diana? Yes, but largely irr. Does Diana at one point possess Amy's business card, and then relevantly give it to someone else? Correct.Does Diana receive kickbacks from Amy? No.
Does Diana profit financially from this set-up? Before Amy does? Simultaneously? After? No to rest.

The third person: H?A?F? Yes. Is their profession relevant? No, unless we use a very loose definition of "profession."
irishelk

Postby Grip » Thu May 18, 2017 11:17 pm

Is embezzlement involved? forgery?
Grip

Postby irishelk » Thu May 18, 2017 11:19 pm

Grip

Is embezzlement involved? forgery? No to both.
irishelk

Postby Balin » Fri May 19, 2017 10:51 am

Does Amy work in government? For the state?
Does Amy own the profession? Is she a high-ranking employee?

As a tangent, what is the movie that supplied this title? I suddenly realized I may have seen it as a kid.
Balin

Postby irishelk » Fri May 19, 2017 10:22 pm

Balin

Does Amy work in government? No. For the state? No.
Does Amy own the profession? Is she a high-ranking employee? She's likely self-employed, but irr.

As a tangent, what is the movie that supplied this title? I suddenly realized I may have seen it as a kid. There are several with that name, mostly horror ones I'm sure. =) I was invoking the 2003 Charlize Theron movie.
irishelk

Postby Balin » Sat May 20, 2017 12:41 am

I had tried looking it up as a kid but could never find it again. A good number of years later, I've now found the one I was thinking of - the 1999 TV movie. It's on YouTube.

For the third person: are her hobbies relevant?
Balin

Postby trebor » Sat May 20, 2017 8:39 am

Since the 2003 movie has been invoked, is prostitution relevant? Rape? Self-defence? Execution? Wrongful conviction? Murder? Is any of Theron's other work more relevant? Or Ricci's?

Does Amy work in the legal field, even if she's not a lawyer? Is she present in courtrooms often? Is it relevant that all three people we've so far uncovered as being relevant to the puzzle are female? Are there more relevant people? If yes, H?A?F? Of the three we've identified, can we name the third Portia? (My mind's in a bit of an Arrested Development mode, with the mention of Theron and the announcement of a fifth season.) Is Portia's main source of income the thing that would "very loosely" be described as a profession? Is she on welfare? Worker's comp? Is she a criminal? If not strictly criminal, is her income unethical? Is she the victim of something, the result being that she contacts Amy?

Is the main reason for Diana's behaviour that she thinks she will benefit financially from it, even if she actually doesn't, as we've established? Does she specifically wish harm on Portia? Does she wish betterment upon Amy? Does she have a romantic/sexual interest in Amy? Does Diana feel that she owes Amy a favour for some reason? Has Portia been involved in any wrongdoing to either Diana or Amy?

Is there any physical evidence on the business card that incriminates Diana? Does the business card prove that Diana and Portia had been in contact when they shouldn't have? Does the card prove that Diana had been somewhere she shouldn't have been? Does it prove Diana was guilty of permitting a conflict of interest?
trebor

Postby irishelk » Sun May 21, 2017 1:16 pm

Balin

I had tried looking it up as a kid but could never find it again. A good number of years later, I've now found the one I was thinking of - the 1999 TV movie. It's on YouTube. Nice! When I was checking for the title of the puzzle, I saw that one listed on Wikipedia, but it doesn't have its own page. Definitely bookmarked to watch later.

For the third person: are her hobbies relevant? I don't know if 'hobbies' is the word--certainly something she does on her own time...

trebor

Since the 2003 movie has been invoked, is prostitution relevant? Rape? Self-defence? Execution? Wrongful conviction? Murder? Yes to this. Only indirectly for all the others. Is any of Theron's other work more relevant? Or Ricci's? No.

Does Amy work in the legal field, even if she's not a lawyer? No. Is she present in courtrooms often? Not relevantly. Is it relevant that all three people we've so far uncovered as being relevant to the puzzle are female? Not really--it's a true story and just happened to work out that way =). Are there more relevant people? No. If yes, H?A?F?

Of the three we've identified, can we name the third Portia? (My mind's in a bit of an Arrested Development mode, with the mention of Theron and the announcement of a fifth season.) Absolutely. I love the "Monster" joke in Theron's episodes. Is Portia's main source of income the thing that would "very loosely" be described as a profession? I believe it was. Is she on welfare? No. Worker's comp? No. Is she a criminal? YES. If not strictly criminal, is her income unethical? Is she the victim of something, the result being that she contacts Amy? Not a "victim," but somewhat along these lines.

Is the main reason for Diana's behaviour that she thinks she will benefit financially from it, even if she actually doesn't, as we've established? No. Does she specifically wish harm on Portia? No. Does she wish betterment upon Amy? Yes. Does she have a romantic/sexual interest in Amy? No. Does Diana feel that she owes Amy a favour for some reason? No. Has Portia been involved in any wrongdoing to either Diana or Amy? No.

Is there any physical evidence on the business card that incriminates Diana? No. Does the business card prove that Diana and Portia had been in contact when they shouldn't have? Yesish, great question. Does the card prove that Diana had been somewhere she shouldn't have been? No. Does it prove Diana was guilty of permitting a conflict of interest? Not exactly, but OTRT.
irishelk

Postby trebor » Tue May 23, 2017 7:42 am

Trying to get at the "yesish" to Diana and Portia being in contact: Did Diana actually give the business card to Portia in person? If not, however she transferred the card, was it her intent that Portia be the one to receive it? (As opposed to, say, when you leave a business card on a table hoping that anyone will pick it up and make use of it.) Has Portia ever relevantly been incarcerated? Is she incarcerated now? Is she in danger of being incarcerated? Same questions for Diana. Is there a legal reason that Diana and Portia specifically shouldn't have been able to be in contact with each other?

Is the reason for Diana's having had the card in the first place relevant? Is it relevant why Diana wishes Amy's betterment? Does Diana double-cross anyone in the events of this puzzle? Is the nature of the relationship between Diana and Portia relevant?

Has one of the three women committed murder? If so, Amy? Portia? Diana? Has Portia's criminal activity profited her financially? Relevant? Is Portia an assassin?

Does Amy provide a service? One that Portia could use? Is Amy involved in cosmetic surgery? Does her business rely on capitalizing on people's insecurities? Fears? Is line of work one that most people would think of derisively? Does Amy sell a product? One that Portia could use? Is she a real estate agent?
trebor

Postby irishelk » Tue May 23, 2017 10:30 pm

trebor

Trying to get at the "yesish" to Diana and Portia being in contact: Did Diana actually give the business card to Portia in person? Yes. If not, however she transferred the card, was it her intent that Portia be the one to receive it? (As opposed to, say, when you leave a business card on a table hoping that anyone will pick it up and make use of it.)
Has Portia ever relevantly been incarcerated? Not previous to the puzzle, but... Is she incarcerated now? At one point, yes. Is she in danger of being incarcerated? At one point, yes. Same questions for Diana. No, Diana is never in danger of arrest. Is there a legal reason that Diana and Portia specifically shouldn't have been able to be in contact with each other? Not exactly, but the "ish" does relate to whether they "should" be communicating.

Is the reason for Diana's having had the card in the first place relevant? Not really. Is it relevant why Diana wishes Amy's betterment? Not really. Does Diana double-cross anyone in the events of this puzzle? No. Is the nature of the relationship between Diana and Portia relevant? There is no relevant relationship.

Has one of the three women committed murder? Yes. If so, Amy? Portia? Yes! Diana? Not Amy or Diana.
Has Portia's criminal activity profited her financially? Relevant? Yes, but irr. Is Portia an assassin? No.

Does Amy provide a service? Yes. One that Portia could use? Yes! Is Amy involved in cosmetic surgery? No.
Does her business rely on capitalizing on people's insecurities? Fears? Possibly, but not relevantly. Is line of work one that most people would think of derisively? I think many would, I don't know about 'most.'
Does Amy sell a product? One that Portia could use? Is she a real estate agent? No to rest.
irishelk

Postby Balin » Wed May 24, 2017 2:24 am

Is Amy a hitman? (Well, hitwoman.) And Portia wants to hire her?
Does Portia want to hire Amy to commit a murder? To cover up a murder? To clean a crime scene?
Balin

Postby irishelk » Thu May 25, 2017 7:10 pm

Balin

Is Amy a hitman? No. (Well, hitwoman.) And Portia wants to hire her? But yes to this.
Does Portia want to hire Amy to commit a murder? To cover up a murder? To clean a crime scene? No to rest.
irishelk

Return to Active Lateral Thinking Puzzles