[Balin] Make a wish

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[Balin] Make a wish

Postby Balin » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:44 pm

Two dollars for half the cure
Balin

Re: [Balin] Make a wish

Postby Earnest » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:57 pm

is that an expression? Cure = medical cure?Medicine? Did the full cure cost more? The double?
Are people commonly more interested to receive half the cure rather than a full cure?Is it possible to receive a full cure? Electronic involved? Food?Drink?
Cure = remedy?recovery?Solution to a problem?to a illness?To some other problem?Is the "cure" meant for humans?Animals?

two dollars = is someone payed?shop assistants?police officer?automatic machines?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:01 pm

is that an expression? It is now
Cure = medical cure? Yes Medicine? Yes Did the full cure cost more? Yes The double? Yes
Are people commonly more interested to receive half the cure rather than a full cure? No Is it possible to receive a full cure? Yes Electronic involved? No Food? Yes Drink? Yope
Cure = remedy? Yes recovery? No Solution to a problem? No to a illness? Yes To some other problem? No Is the "cure" meant for humans? Yes Animals? No

two dollars = is someone paid? shop assistants? police officer? automatic machines? No to all
Balin

Postby GalFisk » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:53 pm

Does the cure have two distinct halves? Does half the cure do any good at all? Can half the cure make things worse than no cure?
GalFisk

Postby SurfingPikachu » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:45 pm

Would this puzzle work if translated to another language?
Is a famous recipe involved? Is a famous pharmaceutical drug or event involved?
SurfingPikachu

Postby Earnest » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:26 pm

do the cure consists in a "liquid"? Vaccine? Can it be commonly found in pharmacies? Injections relevant? Is the presence of a doctor necessary to take the medicine? Is it a pill? Syrup? Is it considered a "modern medicine"? Was it discovered? Or was it "created"? After 1950? Before? Is it a "natural remedy"? Is it made to cure common symptoms? headache? Stomach ache?

Can the medicine be subdivided? If so, is one part essential for the other: I mean...if there are two halves and you take half of the medicine, would you die if you don't take the other half? Is the medicine a cure for something but a venom in general? For instance chemotherapy is a venom but it is able to cure cancer...something like that?
Is it meant for children? Adults? Old aged?

Does the puzzle still work if rephrased as "four dollars for the entire cure"? Or "2 dollars for half the cure"?
Do we need to discover what the "cure" is? Why it costs two dollars? What is going on? Time/Place relevant?
Is the puzzle an advertisement? A proposal of someone to a client? An empirical evidence?
Is death relevant? Experiments?condemned men? Is the medicine used as a medicine? Just if taken entirely? Is it used to harm if taken the half?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:09 am

Does the cure have two distinct halves? Yes Does half the cure do any good at all? Half does, half does not. Good q Can half the cure make things worse than no cure? No

Would this puzzle work if translated to another language? Yes, but please don't ask me to
Is a famous recipe involved? Noish Is a famous pharmaceutical drug or event involved? A well-known drug is, but I wouldn't call it a "famous" one

do the cure consists in a "liquid"? The useless half does Vaccine? No Can it be commonly found in pharmacies? I think the useful half can Injections relevant? No Is the presence of a doctor necessary to take the medicine? No Is it a pill? The useful half can be; it can also be a liquid Syrup? No

Is it considered a "modern medicine"? Was it discovered? Or was it "created"? After 1950? Before? Useless half: No to all. Useful half: I don't know, created, before
Is it a "natural remedy"? Useless half - YES! Is it made to cure common symptoms? headache? Stomach ache? No to these

Can the medicine be subdivided? Do you mean "the entire cure"?... No If so, is one part essential for the other: No I mean...if there are two halves and you take half of the medicine, would you die if you don't take the other half?
Is the medicine a cure for something but a venom in general? For instance chemotherapy is a venom but it is able to cure cancer...something like that? Interesting idea, but No
Is it meant for children? Adults? Old aged? Adults

Does the puzzle still work if rephrased as "four dollars for the entire cure"? No Or "2 dollars for half the cure"? Yes
Do we need to discover what the "cure" is? Yes Why it costs two dollars? Yes What is going on? Yes Time/Place relevant? Hospital, 2000s-2010s
Is the puzzle an advertisement? A proposal of someone to a client? An empirical evidence? None of these
Is death relevant? Experiments? condemned men? None of these
Is the medicine used as a medicine? Yes, possible FA Just if taken entirely? Only the useful half Is it used to harm if taken the half? No
Balin

Postby SurfingPikachu » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:49 am

WAG: coca cola and aspirin?
SurfingPikachu

Postby Earnest » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:57 am

do the two halves need to be chemically separated? Can the useless half be considered as a "waste" of the useful half?Or is the useful part maybe a further processing of the useless part? Is it something like propolis and honey? I mean is the whole cure found in nature and then manipulated in order to obtain the cure?

Is the entire cure produced by an animal(an insect, a fish, a mammal)? A plant? Is the useful half? Is the useless half?
do the useless half consist in a drinkable substance? Water? is the useless half sold independently from the useful half? Together? mixed with the useful part? is the useless part advertised?
is the useful part, useful for cold? physical aches? flu? intestinal problems? Is the useful part an ointment?
is the cure mainly administered by dentists? general practitioners? physiotherapists? Psychologists?elderly wards?

You said the full cure would cost the double...well...half the cure for 2 dollars includes just the useful part I suppose, right? If the full cure costs 4 dollars also the other half of the cure somehow has a value, right? So...if the latter are correct my question is: is the useless part considered "useless" as a remedy but "useful" for other things?
is the useless part useful for plants or animals?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:51 pm

WAG: coca cola and aspirin? No

do the two halves need to be chemically separated? No, the two halves are chemically unrelated Can the useless half be considered as a "waste" of the useful half? No Or is the useful part maybe a further processing of the useless part? No Is it something like propolis and honey? No I mean is the whole cure found in nature and then manipulated in order to obtain the cure? No

Is the entire cure produced by an animal (an insect, a fish, a mammal)? A plant? Is the useful half? The useful half is synthesized, but I don't know what from Is the useless half? Plants
do the useless half consist in a drinkable substance? Yes Water? No is the useless half sold independently from the useful half? Yes Together? mixed with the useful part? is the useless part advertised? No
is the useful part, useful for cold? physical aches? flu? intestinal problems? To spare excessive disease-guessing, the patient in this story was being treated for pneumonia and fibromyalgia. Is the useful part an ointment? No
is the cure mainly administered by dentists? general practitioners? This (the useful part) physiotherapists? Psychologists? elderly wards?

You said the full cure would cost the double...well...half the cure for 2 dollars includes just the useful part I suppose, right? No, just the useless part If the full cure costs 4 dollars Which it doesn't also the other half of the cure somehow has a value, right? Yes So...if the latter are correct my question is: is the useless part considered "useless" as a remedy but "useful" for other things? YES
is the useless part useful for plants or animals? No, not as a remedy
Balin

Postby biograd » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:27 am

I am having trouble imagining why the useful and useless "halves" are even considered part of a "unit", given that they come from different sources, are chemically unrelated, and obviously have different purposes, so:

Are the two mentioned together in some kind of idiom? in some work of fiction? mentioned/depicted together in another form of art and/or entertainment (song, painting, etc.)?

If one were seeking to obtain the useful half of the cure, would there be any benefit at all to seeking the useless half also? such as a reduction in the price of the combination, relative to its halves?
biograd

Postby Earnest » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:29 am

useless part from plants --> Is it a cold drink (I mean like coca sprite soda...) or an hot one (coffee, tea...)? tea? coffee? tisane?infusion?is it a soft drink? An alcoholic one? Is it alcoholic?

Guess--> is someone joking ad for instance offering the patient a tea? I mean do the sentence "two dollars for half the cure" refer to someone who is offering something to drink to the patient?

maybe a stupid question...are pesticides put on the plants somehow involved?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:10 am

I am having trouble imagining why the useful and useless "halves" are even considered part of a "unit", given that they come from different sources, are chemically unrelated, and obviously have different purposes, so: Perhaps it will help if I say that only one person considers them "part of a 'unit'."

Are the two mentioned together in some kind of idiom? in some work of fiction? mentioned/depicted together in another form of art and/or entertainment (song, painting, etc.)? None of these

If one were seeking to obtain the useful half of the cure, would there be any benefit at all to seeking the useless half also? No such as a reduction in the price of the combination, relative to its halves?

useless part from plants --> Is it a cold drink (I mean like coca sprite soda...) or an hot one (coffee, tea...)? tea? coffee? tisane?infusion?is it a soft drink? An alcoholic one? Is it alcoholic? It is not a drink at all, though one can drink it

Guess--> is someone joking ad for instance offering the patient a tea? I mean do the sentence "two dollars for half the cure" refer to someone who is offering something to drink to the patient? No to these

maybe a stupid question...are pesticides put on the plants somehow involved? No
Balin

Postby trebor » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:10 am

It sounds to me like it's possible to buy the useful part without buying the useless part. Correct? Is the useful part a painkiller? An anti-inflammatory? In this instance was it useful in treating the fibromyalgia? The pneumonia? Both? If I were to walk into a pharmacy to buy it would it cost me more than $20?

Is the useless thing something that it is common for people to ingest? Is it viscous? Is it likely that some of us on the forum would have purchased it within the last few months? It wasn't discovered and it wasn't created...did we come to be aware of it some other way?
trebor

Postby SurfingPikachu » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:29 pm

Is one of the halves methyl salicylate? Or something that produces a "hot" or "minty" or "cooling" or otherwise desirable sensation? Is it something that is topically applied rather than ingested?
SurfingPikachu

Postby Balin » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:46 pm

It sounds to me like it's possible to buy the useful part without buying the useless part. Correct? Yes
Is the useful part a painkiller? This An anti-inflammatory?
In this instance was it useful in treating the fibromyalgia? The pneumonia? Both? To the patient, the former
If I were to walk into a pharmacy to buy it would it cost me more than $20? I'm pretty sure you'd need a prescription to buy it, and Yes, I think so

Is the useless thing something that it is common for people to ingest? Yes Is it viscous? No, but other types of it are Is it likely that some of us on the forum would have purchased it within the last few months? Yes, very likely It wasn't discovered and it wasn't created...did we come to be aware of it some other way? I would say it was "made"

Is one of the halves methyl salicylate? Or something that produces a "hot" or "minty" or "cooling" or otherwise desirable sensation? Is it something that is topically applied rather than ingested? None of these
Balin

Postby trebor » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:19 am

Is the useful part codeine? Morphine? Methadone? A similar drug? (I don't know how you'd define "similar" here...) When it was made initially, was it made for medicinal reasons?

When we buy the useless part now, would you say that most of us by it in its capacity as a natural remedy? Is it still sold as such? Is there a more common use for it? When you say that it's not a drink but that one could drink it, do you mean that in the same way that engine oil is not a drink, but one theoretically could drink it? Or like how cough syrup isn't a drink (unless it's part of a Flaming Moe), but you do drink it? Does one, when using this thing, put it in one's mouth? Smell it? Smoke it?

Did the person suffering from fibromyalgia avail them self of both parts of the cure? In the hospital? Was the useless part used in the hospital?
trebor

Postby Balin » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:56 am

Is the useful part codeine? Morphine? Methadone? A similar drug? (I don't know how you'd define "similar" here...) It is hydromorphone, more commonly known as Dilaudid When it was made initially, was it made for medicinal reasons? Yes

When we buy the useless part now, would you say that most of us by it in its capacity as a natural remedy? No Is it still sold as such? No Is there a more common use for it? Yes
When you say that it's not a drink but that one could drink it, do you mean that in the same way that engine oil is not a drink, but one theoretically could drink it? No Or like how cough syrup isn't a drink (unless it's part of a Flaming Moe), but you do drink it? This is closer, but also No
Does one, when using this thing, put it in one's mouth? Yes Smell it? Smoke it?

Did the person suffering from fibromyalgia avail them self of both parts of the cure? Yes In the hospital? No, the useless part at home Was the useless part used in the hospital? No
Balin

Postby SurfingPikachu » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:07 pm

Useless part is oil? Brine? Vinegar? Some other condiment? Toothpaste?
SurfingPikachu

Postby biograd » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:24 pm

Is the useless part chicken soup? Obviously it's possible to drink soup but it isn't "a drink", and many soups are viscous.
If not, is it some other "idiomatic cure-all"?

Is the connection between the two "halves" that the relevant patient attributed her recovery to both of them?
biograd

Postby trebor » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:53 am

Just to get this out of the way, is the useless thing mouthwash? I don't know of any mouthwashes that are viscous, but that doesn't mean there aren't any. Is it oil of oregano? Is the point of taking the useless thing to get rid of the taste or "mouth feel" of the Dilaudid? Are the side effects of Dilaudid relevant? If so, does the useless thing actually help with one or more of them?

Is the useless thing something that we use because it tastes good? Do we swallow it?
trebor

Postby Balin » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:45 pm

Useless part is oil? Brine? Vinegar? Some other condiment? Toothpaste? "Oil and vinegar mixed with some herbs"

Is the useless part chicken soup? Obviously it's possible to drink soup but it isn't "a drink", and many soups are viscous. OTRT, but No
If not, is it some other "idiomatic cure-all"? The patient thinks it is, but it isn't.

Is the connection between the two "halves" that the relevant patient attributed her recovery to both of them? Yes

Just to get this out of the way, is the useless thing mouthwash? No I don't know of any mouthwashes that are viscous, but that doesn't mean there aren't any. Is it oil of oregano? No, see above Is the point of taking the useless thing to get rid of the taste or "mouth feel" of the Dilaudid? No Are the side effects of Dilaudid relevant? No If so, does the useless thing actually help with one or more of them? No

Is the useless thing something that we use because it tastes good? Do we swallow it? Yes to both
Balin

Postby SurfingPikachu » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:58 pm

So the useful part is Dilaudid and the useless part is oil and vinegar mixed with some herbs?

Erm, presumably we need to simplify the latter? Oil is nonpolar and vinegar is polar, so they wouldn't normally mix except with emulsifiers? Is this some sort of mayonnaise-like dressing? Thousand Island? Tartar sauce? I must confess that I do not know much of what some would call life's greatest pleasure. >.<
SurfingPikachu

Postby Balin » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:22 pm

So the useful part is Dilaudid and the useless part is oil and vinegar mixed with some herbs?

Erm, presumably we need to simplify the latter? Oil is nonpolar and vinegar is polar, so they wouldn't normally mix except with emulsifiers? Is this some sort of mayonnaise-like dressing? Thousand Island? Close enough. Tartar sauce? I must confess that I do not know much of what some would call life's greatest pleasure. >.<

****SPOILER****

Once again, from the "Things I Learn From My Patients" thread (acronyms - CC = chief complaint, SOB = short(ness) of breath, AMA = against medical advice):

Had an interesting interaction last week with a patient with fibromyalgia and other psych issues:

60 yo F CC SOB, cough productive of green sputum. Pt left AMA from nearby hospital after being diagnosed with pneumonia 24 hours prior.

Me: Why'd you leave the hospital?
Pt: I knew they weren't doing anything for me. So, I went home so I could take my home remedy.
Me: What "home remedy?"
Pt: I drink olive oil mixed with some herbal ingredients and vinegar.
Me: That's salad dressing. You've been drinking salad dressing to deal with your pneumonia? Was it balsamic vinegar you were using?
Pt: Well it works.
Me: Then why did you call an ambulance again if it's working?
Pt: Because I still need to be on Dilaudid.

So I learned that salad dressing cures pneumonia but not fibromyalgia. Who knew?
Balin

Postby Earnest » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:26 pm

I really didn't know that...well interesting puzzle with lots of precious infos.
Thank you Balin!
Earnest

Re: [Balin] Make a wish (*CURED*)

Postby Balin » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:36 am

In case that response is serious: The thread from which I got the puzzle is about the stupidest things patients have done or said. Salad dressing won't actually help with pneumonia; the patient was being an idiot for relying on a homemade concoction that is actually sold in grocery stores instead of trusting her doctors and taking medication to help her.

In case that response is in jest: My bad. I'm really bad at detecting sarcasm.
Balin

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles