[IrishElk] Glengarry Glen Ross

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[IrishElk] Glengarry Glen Ross

Postby irishelk » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:25 pm

Usually, when I see a cothco, I go out of my way to avoid it. Occasionally, though, I'll go right up to a cothco, especially if it's blue or green in color.

What's your cothco strategy?
Last edited by irishelk on Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
irishelk

Re: [IrishElk] Glengarry Glen Ross

Postby Earnest » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:13 pm

can you eat a cothco?can you drink it?can you smell it? is it an animal? An object?Tangible object? Does it belong to reality?To a video game? Electronic relevant? were there cotchcows in middle age? During WWI?WWII?

I go out of my way to avoid it...is there a danger involved? are there negative consequences if you touch it?if you stay too close to it? allergies? is it your personal decision to avoid them if they are not green or blue? Or almost everyone avoid them if they are of different color? did they usually have one color at the same time or more than one?I mean...can cotchcos be green and blue at the same time? Red and yellow? Can they assume every color? Or just some? If so, list of colors inserted.

especially if it's blue or green in color...can it change color? is the color painted? Or is it its natural color? are there many cothcos?With different colors each? Does the color indicate a particular benefit? Can a cotchco be opened? Is the cotchco itself precious?Or something inside it? Something that cothco produce later on? If stimulated? Can you see a cothco on the street? On the garden of your house? In tv? On a screen?...is it common to see a cothco? everywhere in the world? At each time? If not...just the night?just the morning?the afternoon?the evening?in more parts of the day? Is light necessary to see cotchco? Can a cotch0 fly? To see it is necessary to look up? look down? Can you find a cotchco in a store? Can you buy it?If so is it usually sold when is green or blue? can you find it in the water? In inside a specific building? just in some parts of the year? Snow relevant? Rain? Sun? Wind?
Earnest

Postby biograd » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:59 pm

Is Pokemon Go involved in this? I've never played that game, but when I read about choosing to go up to certain colors of them and the question about "strategy", it made me think of it because if I recall each type shows up as a different color.

Assuming that has nothing to do with it, do you approach cothcos out of curiosity? to obtain/buy something? just to be seen next to them?
biograd

Postby trebor » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:19 pm

Is real estate relevant? Salesmanship? David Mamet?

Is going to a cothco something one does competitively? Does the "co" ending stand for "company"?
trebor

Postby SurfingPikachu » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:51 pm

I read this question just before bedtime last night. My first thought was the last quadrant of Monopoly, though dice-rolling removes the element of "choice" that avoidance implies. My second was that cothco sounds like Costco. I ended up dreaming about building Costcos in Monopoly, but not upgrading them cos they would change colour from green to red, which would cause IrishElk to avoid replying. /facepalm

Hmm, now that I think about the title, I might as well just ask outright: Monopoly involved?!

Well to take a different approach from Earnest's excellent questions:
Approximately what percentage (Almost no one? A few? Some? Half? Most? Almost everyone?)
of a random group of 100 people in your country would you say:
- See a cothco at all?
- Avoid cothcos when seen?
- Avoid but occasionally go right up?
- Avoid but occasionally go right up for certain colours?
- Avoid but occasionally go right up when blue or green?
I'm just trying to figure out if this is a general thing or a very specific idiosyncrasy of yours.

Does the colour signify a certain desirable property (other than colour/aesthetics) of cothcos?
When you go right up, do you obtain it? Purchase it? Touch it? Take a closer look?
How often do you see cothcos? Daily? Weekly? Fortnightly? Monthly? Regularly or adhoc?
SurfingPikachu

Postby irishelk » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:45 pm

Earnest

can you eat a cothco?can you drink it? No. can you smell it? I suppose technically you could... is it an animal? Yes. An object?Tangible object? Does it belong to reality? Yes. To a video game? Electronic relevant? were there cothcos in middle age? No. During WWI?WWII? Probably some older form of them.

I go out of my way to avoid it...is there a danger involved? No. are there negative consequences if you touch it? Not relevantly. if you stay too close to it? No. allergies? No. is it your personal decision to avoid them if they are not green or blue? Yesish. Or almost everyone avoid them if they are of different color? No. did they usually have one color at the same time or more than one?I mean...can cotchcos be green and blue at the same time? Red and yellow? Can they assume every color? Or just some? If so, list of colors inserted. They can be any color or multi-colored.

especially if it's blue or green in color...can it change color? No. is the color painted? No. Or is it its natural color? Noish. are there many cothcos? Yes. With different colors each? You could probably find some of every color. Does the color indicate a particular benefit? Yope to yesish. Can a cotchco be opened? No. Is the cotchco itself precious? DOYD. Or something inside it? No. Something that cothco produce later on? If stimulated? No.
Can you see a cothco on the street? Yes. On the garden of your house? Hopefully not. In tv? On a screen? You could, but they aren't particular to TV. ...is it common to see a cothco? In some places. I've actually seen four today. everywhere in the world? No. At each time? No. If not...just the night? No. just the morning?the afternoon?the evening?in more parts of the day? During the day. Is light necessary to see cotchco? Only in the sense that light is necessary to see everything =).
Can a cotch0 fly? No. To see it is necessary to look up? No. look down? No. Can you find a cotchco in a store? No. Can you buy it? No. If so is it usually sold when is green or blue? can you find it in the water? No. In inside a specific building? No. just in some parts of the year? No, but some times are more likely. Snow relevant? Rain? Sun? Wind?
No to rest.

biograd

Is Pokemon Go involved in this? No. I've never played that game, but when I read about choosing to go up to certain colors of them and the question about "strategy", it made me think of it because if I recall each type shows up as a different color. Good thought, I hadn't even considered that. I believe the similar game Ingress is also green and blue teams!

Assuming that has nothing to do with it, do you approach cothcos out of curiosity? No. to obtain/buy something? No for me personally...yope to noish in general. just to be seen next to them? Noish, but OTRT.

trebor

Is real estate relevant? No. Salesmanship? Of a sort, yes. David Mamet? :) No.

Is going to a cothco something one does competitively? No. Does the "co" ending stand for "company"? No.

SurfingPikachu

I read this question just before bedtime last night. My first thought was the last quadrant of Monopoly, though dice-rolling removes the element of "choice" that avoidance implies. My second was that cothco sounds like Costco. I ended up dreaming about building Costcos in Monopoly, but not upgrading them cos they would change colour from green to red, which would cause IrishElk to avoid replying. /facepalm
Haha, I'm so happy to have been part of your dreams! LTPF-induced dreams are always very strange.

Hmm, now that I think about the title, I might as well just ask outright: Monopoly involved?! Unfortunately, no. Your unconscious mind labored away in vain.

Well to take a different approach from Earnest's excellent questions:
Approximately what percentage (Almost no one? A few? Some? Half? Most? Almost everyone?)
of a random group of 100 people in your country would you say:
- See a cothco at all? Hm. Good question. I'm not sure how common they are nation-wide, but I'd say well over half.
- Avoid cothcos when seen? Well over half. =).
- Avoid but occasionally go right up? Few.
- Avoid but occasionally go right up for certain colours? Likely the same few who will go up to them at all.
- Avoid but occasionally go right up when blue or green? Even less than those few.
I'm just trying to figure out if this is a general thing or a very specific idiosyncrasy of yours. Fairly specific.

Does the colour signify a certain desirable property (other than colour/aesthetics) of cothcos? Yes.
When you go right up, do you obtain it? Purchase it? Touch it? Take a closer look? No to all.
How often do you see cothcos? Daily? Weekly? Fortnightly? Monthly? Regularly or adhoc? Weekly to monthly, depending on many factors.
irishelk

Postby Earnest » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:38 pm

I like your approach too SurfingPikachu!!!

so...is an animal...insect? mammal?Are they classified as birds even though they cannot fly? (peacocks for instance) a fish? Snakes?Amphibians?can you see it near watercourses? is it dangerous when it is not green or blue? is it a "relatively recent" animal species?
Do the blue cotchco belong to the same species of the green one? Are cotchcos smaller than a baseball?Than a basket ball? Than a car?

Can you mainly find them in USA?Europe?Asia?Africa?Are they considered wild or domestic? Are them permanently of a color or could they change? I mean...a single cotchco. Do other colors than blue or green indicate anger? fear? Do they have some "natural weapon" to defend themselves? Like venom? Sharp teeth? claws?Do they have a tail?A beak?
Earnest

Postby trebor » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:27 am

Are cothcos bees? Worms? Things that are similarly easy to come across? Things that produce rather visceral reactions from people? Is the cothco alive when you see it? Does it assume a different colour for whatever reason when kept in captivity versus being in the wild? Are flowers or gardens relevant? Does the changing colour indicate that the cothco has pollinated/altered something outside of itself that makes that thing more desirable to you? Are cothcos often seen in zoos or the like?
trebor

Postby irishelk » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:32 pm

Earnest

I like your approach too SurfingPikachu!!!

so...is an animal...insect? mammal? This. Are they classified as birds even though they cannot fly? (peacocks for instance) a fish? Snakes?Amphibians?
can you see it near watercourses? Sometimes. is it dangerous when it is not green or blue? I'll say...it can be, but irr. is it a "relatively recent" animal species? Yes it is.
Do the blue cotchco belong to the same species of the green one? Yes. Are cotchcos smaller than a baseball? No. Than a basket ball? No. Than a car? Yes.

Can you mainly find them in USA?Europe?Asia?Africa? Yes to all. Are they considered wild or domestic? Hm. Debatable, but I'd say domestic. Are them permanently of a color or could they change? I mean...a single cotchco. They keep the same color...ish. Maybe explore in the context of the puzzle. Do other colors than blue or green indicate anger? fear? Do they have some "natural weapon" to defend themselves? Like venom? Sharp teeth? claws?Do they have a tail?A beak? No to rest.

trebor

Are cothcos bees? Worms? No. Things that are similarly easy to come across? In terms of what species they are? Yes, it is very common. Things that produce rather visceral reactions from people? From some people. Is the cothco alive when you see it? Yes. Does it assume a different colour for whatever reason when kept in captivity versus being in the wild? No. Are flowers or gardens relevant? No. Does the changing colour indicate that the cothco has pollinated/altered something outside of itself that makes that thing more desirable to you? No, FAish. Are cothcos often seen in zoos or the like? No, though one could be there.
irishelk

Postby trebor » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:54 am

Are cothcos farm animals? Pests? Rodents? Canines? Felines? Is there one particular colour it is more common for them to be than any other? We are talking about physically observable colours here, right? And ones that are biologically normal? (As opposed to a raccoon falling into a vat of paint or something.)

When you go up to one, is it to take something from it? To take a selfie with it? To protect yourself from something else? Just to say you've done it?
trebor

Postby Earnest » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:07 am

do they have a fur?If so...a long fur or a short one? Are them hunted? If so...are them hunted because they are edible? Because of a characteristic they have? Are them hunted in every place? Or just in some places?
Can I find them mainly in towns?In parks? In farms? In countryside?In mountains?Is their habitat a cold one, a warm one or an hot one?

When you said that they could be green, blue or of any other color...you mean that they are entirely blue/green or just a part of their body? Do they have a distinctive characteristic? Is it mainly a physical characteristic? If so, does it belong to the higher part of its body (I mean head and neck)? Central part (arms, abdomen, back)? Lower part (legs and feet)? Is the characteristic mainly thought to protect them? to repair them from cold? Other functions?

You said "noish" to the possibility that green, blue and the other colors are the natural colors of cotchcos right? If so...do they derive their color from the proximity to a plant? From eating something?From one of their habits? Is pollution relevant?Or did you mean that blue and green are maybe reflection on their skin?...when you go right up to a cothco, do you usually feed it? Take a picture of it? Exploit a relevant characteristic of cotchco? Do you try to attract cotchco's attention?Or to make them escape? (my original thought was to pigeons...people usually try to make them fly away) Does it (cotchcos and your action) attract people attention? Can a cotchco bite? Is a catch commonly known with specific colors? If so, which ones? again list of colors...or are cotchcos commonly known for another characteristic? Is their image used in some advertisement?(e.g. see the tiger of kellogs) Cartoons? Stories?

Are them carnivores?herbivore?omnivorous?Do they have claws?Tusks?Plugs?Paws?
Do the colors blue and green signify that cotchcos are in a certain mood? I mean, do the main aspect of their coloration reflect on their mood? Or does it imply something for the environment were they are?
Earnest

Postby SurfingPikachu » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:57 pm

When you say you "go right up to a cothco", do you just mean you don't "go out of your way to avoid it"? Or do you really mean that you go right up to it to do something significant?

Also, you said that they are not usually sold when green or blue. Do you mean that they are not sold at all? Or sold but not colour-discriminated in sales? I have a hard time believing that a recent, probably domesticated animal that is commonly found is not being sold, especially since domestication would imply sales.
SurfingPikachu

Postby irishelk » Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:17 pm

I'm going to give a couple hints up top, because I certainly don't mean this to be as frustrating as it is:

1) A cothco is not just a species of animal. The neologism describes something more specific than that.

2) I was being a bit non-literal when I described them as "blue" and "green." Those aren't the colors of their skin.

Sorry if the puzzle statement misled.

Earnest

do they have a fur? Yope, DOYD. If so...a long fur or a short one? If so, short.Are them hunted? No. If so...are them hunted because they are edible? Because of a characteristic they have? Are them hunted in every place? Or just in some places?
Can I find them mainly in towns?In parks? In farms? In countryside?In mountains?Is their habitat a cold one, a warm one or an hot one? Yes to all.

When you said that they could be green, blue or of any other color...you mean that they are entirely blue/green or just a part of their body? Neither, and definitely explore. Do they have a distinctive characteristic? I would say many. Is it mainly a physical characteristic? The species had both physical and non-physical distinguishing characteristics, as do cothcos specifically. If so, does it belong to the higher part of its body (I mean head and neck)? Central part (arms, abdomen, back)? Lower part (legs and feet)? ...so, difficult to answer. Is the characteristic mainly thought to protect them? to repair them from cold? Other functions? Thisish.

You said "noish" to the possibility that green, blue and the other colors are the natural colors of cotchcos right? Yes. If so...do they derive their color from the proximity to a plant? From eating something?From one of their habits? Is pollution relevant?Or did you mean that blue and green are maybe reflection on their skin? No to all.
...when you go right up to a cothco, do you usually feed it? No. Take a picture of it? No. Exploit a relevant characteristic of cotchco? Noish. Do you try to attract cotchco's attention? Yesish. Or to make them escape? (my original thought was to pigeons...people usually try to make them fly away) No. Does it (cotchcos and your action) attract people attention? Possibly, irr. Can a cotchco bite? It could, but typically doesn't. Is a catch commonly known with specific colors? No. If so, which ones? again list of colors...
or are cotchcos commonly known for another characteristic? Yesish, they are not typically noted for their colors. Is their image used in some advertisement?(e.g. see the tiger of kellogs) Cartoons? Stories? No to rest.

Are them carnivores?herbivore?omnivorous? This. Do they have claws?Tusks?Plugs?Paws? No to rest.
Do the colors blue and green signify that cotchcos are in a certain mood? I mean, do the main aspect of their coloration reflect on their mood? Or does it imply something for the environment were they are? No to all (with perhaps a tiny ish).

SurfingPikachu

When you say you "go right up to a cothco", do you just mean you don't "go out of your way to avoid it"? Yes. Or do you really mean that you go right up to it to do something significant? Yes.

Also, you said that they are not usually sold when green or blue. Do you mean that they are not sold at all? Or sold but not colour-discriminated in sales? I meant they are not typically sold--again, cothco is not an entire species, but a specific thing. I have a hard time believing that a recent, probably domesticated animal that is commonly found is not being sold, especially since domestication would imply sales. ;) And I fully expect you'll all be angry at me when you figure it out, but I can live with that.
irishelk

Postby irishelk » Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:23 pm

trebor

Sorry, skipped.

Are cothcos farm animals? Not in that category, though they are found on farms. Pests? Rodents? Canines? Felines? No to rest. Is there one particular colour it is more common for them to be than any other? In the sense I used it, no. As to the species' actual coloration, there is a range of normal colors. We are talking about physically observable colours here, right? Yes. And ones that are biologically normal? NO. (As opposed to a raccoon falling into a vat of paint or something.) Closer to this.

When you go up to one, is it to take something from it? Not primarily, though this may occur. To take a selfie with it? No. To protect yourself from something else? No. Just to say you've done it?Not primarily, though this may occur.
irishelk

Postby Earnest » Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:45 pm

The neologism describes something more specific than that. Does it describe something produced by the animal? Something homonymous to the animal?Something that doesn't involve the mammal at all?Or you meant that the relevant thing is not the species but the specific animal belonging to that species? Do you see cotchcos with your eyes or through a relevant device? Are the colors "green" and blue referred to something on a device? Are green and blue colors of a symbol? Are green and blue color painted? Artificial? Are them colors on a sign?Billboard?

They are not sold...are they somehow exchanged? Taken directly into the wild? Are just those particular cotchcos not sold? Or any cotchco in general?

When you find cotchcos on the street, are them free? Domesticated? Prisoned? Are they usually domesticated in houses? Apartments? Gardens? Or by people who want to make money by exploiting their capacity to transport other people for instance? To attract people? Is it exploited by police? By human in general?

I was being a bit non-literal when I described them as "blue" and "green." Those aren't the colors of their skin.......are them colors of something artificial?Such as a light? Something that belongs to the animal per se (e.g. part of animal's body)? something manmade usually associated to those animals? Something that indicate that the cotchco is domesticated? The opposite? Do "blue" and "green" refer to the cotchco? To something surrounding the animal?

They are domesticated...so could them be found also in circus? They are not sold...so if one wanted to domesticate a cotchco, he would need to search it into the wild? Can a cotchco be touched?

are cotchcos a subspecies? if so a subspecies of rabbits?Apes?Bears?Horses?Rats?Curly? Can I invoke the list of mammals? Do they usually live on trees?
Do cotchcos belong to more than just one animal? If I find a cotchco in a farm, would I find it on a specific animal? If so...on a cow?on a chicken?On a rabbit? on a pig?on a donkey? Can I find a cotchco in a kennel? Can I find it in a sheepfold? By a veterinary ? If so, is it more common to see it in a kennel?In a sheepfold? By a veterinary?
Earnest

Postby SurfingPikachu » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:47 am

'A cothco is not just a species of animal.'

Do you mean that, although all cothcos must be a particular species of animal, not all animals of that particular species are cothcos?
In which case, it might still be helpful if we narrowed down which species?
Would the answers change if we replaced the word "species" with "breed" in the above questions?

Or do you mean that a cothco is a particular trait of animals, and this trait is not limited to a single species of animal?

'I was being a bit non-literal when I described them as "blue" and "green." Those aren't the colors of their skin.'

So those are not skin colours, but are they colours of other body parts? Such as eyes? Or literal/physical colours of something?
Or, when you say that these colours are "non-literal", do you mean "metaphorical"? e.g. red=angry/action/passion/danger, blue=sad/moody, green=healthy/safe?
Or perhaps that these colours literally/physically appear somewhere, but whose meaning is metaphorical? e.g. these are the colours of the conservation tags of the animals, where red=extinct/endangered, and green=no concern?

Meta: cothco = co-th-co? c-oth-co? Others? Stop meta-ing?
Any of the "co"s refer to: colour? calico? common? concern? conservation? An animal name starting with "co"? Starting with "c"?
SurfingPikachu

Postby irishelk » Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:04 pm

Earnest

The neologism describes something more specific than that. Does it describe something produced by the animal? No. Something homonymous to the animal? No. Something that doesn't involve the mammal at all? No. Or you meant that the relevant thing is not the species but the specific animal belonging to that species? Yope.
Do you see cotchcos with your eyes or through a relevant device? Eyes. Are the colors "green" and blue referred to something on a device? Not typically. Are green and blue colors of a symbol? They certainly can be. Are green and blue color painted? No. Artificial? As in, the item is not naturally-occuring, yes. Are them colors on a sign? No. Billboard? No.

They are not sold...are they somehow exchanged? No. Taken directly into the wild? No. Are just those particular cotchcos not sold? Or any cotchco in general? Any cothco.

When you find cotchcos on the street, are them free? Yes. Domesticated? In the very vague sense I mentioned above, but I think this is throwing you off. Prisoned? No. Are they usually domesticated in houses? Apartments? Gardens? They can be found in all. Or by people who want to make money by exploiting their capacity to transport other people for instance? To attract people? Is it exploited by police? By human in general? No to all.

I was being a bit non-literal when I described them as "blue" and "green." Those aren't the colors of their skin.......are them colors of something artificial? Yes. Such as a light? No. Something that belongs to the animal per se Yes. (e.g. part of animal's body)? No. something manmade usually associated to those animals? Everything man-made is associated with these animals. =) Something that indicate that the cotchco is domesticated? The opposite? No. Do "blue" and "green" refer to the cotchco? Not to the coloration of its body. To something surrounding the animal? Yes, well-put.

They are domesticated...so could them be found also in circus? The species, technically yes. They are not sold...so if one wanted to domesticate a cotchco, he would need to search it into the wild? No. One would not seek to domesticate one. Can a cotchco be touched? Yes.

are cotchcos a subspecies? No. if so a subspecies of rabbits?Apes? As to the species, closest to this. Bears?Horses?Rats?Curly? Can I invoke the list of mammals? But you're so close! Do they usually live on trees? No.
Do cotchcos belong to more than just one animal? No. If I find a cotchco in a farm, would I find it on a specific animal? No. If so...on a cow?on a chicken?On a rabbit? on a pig?on a donkey? Can I find a cotchco in a kennel? Technically yes, but don't let this throw you. Can I find it in a sheepfold? By a veterinary ? If so, is it more common to see it in a kennel?In a sheepfold? By a veterinary? It is found in all.

SurfingPikachu

'A cothco is not just a species of animal.'

Do you mean that, although all cothcos must be a particular species of animal, not all animals of that particular species are cothcos? Correct.
In which case, it might still be helpful if we narrowed down which species? Yes, it's essential.
Would the answers change if we replaced the word "species" with "breed" in the above questions? "Breed" isn't applicable.

Or do you mean that a cothco is a particular trait of animals, and this trait is not limited to a single species of animal? No.

'I was being a bit non-literal when I described them as "blue" and "green." Those aren't the colors of their skin.'

So those are not skin colours, but are they colours of other body parts? No. Such as eyes? Or literal/physical colours of something? No.
Or, when you say that these colours are "non-literal", do you mean "metaphorical"? Actually, both of the colors are metaphorical in a way, but they are also literally the color of something. e.g. red=angry/action/passion/danger, blue=sad/moody, green=healthy/safe? No to these.
Or perhaps that these colours literally/physically appear somewhere, but whose meaning is metaphorical? Exactly. e.g. these are the colours of the conservation tags of the animals, where red=extinct/endangered, and green=no concern? Not this.

Meta: cothco = co-th-co? c-oth-co? Others? C-o-th-co. Stop meta-ing? Haha, no problem. Anything to kill this one.
Any of the "co"s refer to: colour? calico? common? concern? conservation? An animal name starting with "co"? Starting with "c"? No to all.
irishelk

Postby SurfingPikachu » Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:34 pm

Ok, I think the species is probably humans? If so, this has been a most hilarious thread.
SurfingPikachu

Postby Earnest » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:34 am

cotchco = humans in a whole? some humans? humans with a specific work? with a specific hobby? Homeless? Do you mainly find cothcos indoors?Outdoors?Do they belong to a certain group of people? Like punks? Hipsters? Religious group? Are them sort of mascots? Are they masked? Costumes relevant?

Is blue and green referred to something belonging to you? To the cothco? Are they colors of a clothing? Of an electronic item? do cotchcos attract you if they are green or blue in color? Do you speak with them? Ask them information? Give them something? Do green and blue signalize tat they belong to a specific group?Team?
Earnest

Postby trebor » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:23 am

Ha ha ha! Oh crap, this might be a wonderful example of overthinking things. And if so, those answers were brilliant.

Different genders relevant? Cothco: Colour? Of? The? [Something]? Colour of the costume, to go off of Earnest? Does the "c" stand for "closing"? Does the "o" stand for "on"?
trebor

Postby irishelk » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:03 pm

SurfingPikachu

Ok, I think the species is probably humans? Yes! If so, this has been a most hilarious thread. Haha right? I felt kind of awful, but I wanted to see how far it would go. :lol:

Earnest

cotchco = humans in a whole? No. some humans? Yes. humans with a specific work? Yes. with a specific hobby? It could sometimes be. Homeless? No. Do you mainly find cothcos indoors?Outdoors? Usually this. Do they belong to a certain group of people? In a sense. Like punks? Hipsters? Religious group? Are them sort of mascots? Are they masked? Costumes relevant? No to rest.

Is blue and green referred to something belonging to you? No. To the cothco? No. Are they colors of a clothing? Yes! Of an electronic item? No. do cotchcos attract you if they are green or blue in color? Yes. Do you speak with them? Yes. Ask them information? No. Give them something? No. Do green and blue signalize tat they belong to a specific group? Yes. Team? No.

trebor

Ha ha ha! Oh crap, this might be a wonderful example of overthinking things. And if so, those answers were brilliant. I'm glad you appreciated them. I was afraid you'd be coming after me with torches and pitchforks, but I couldn't resist! No one asking HAM for 17 posts? It might be a record.

Different genders relevant? No. Cothco: Colour? Of? The? [Something]? Colour of the costume, to go off of Earnest? Does the "c" stand for "closing"? Does the "o" stand for "on"? You've got "on the," no to rest.
irishelk

Postby Earnest » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:52 pm

No one asking HAM for 17 posts? It might be a record ...no words..I felt so stupid in this moment ahahahaahahahah

So clothing...hat?T-shirt?Trousers?Shoes?Tie?Jackets?Pants?Socks?Does the firs c refer to the clothing item? If so is it cap?coat?
Do cotchcos want to attract people? Do they hand out flyers? Do they belong to a political group? Do they sell something? Do they perform? Make music?
Earnest

Postby trebor » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:51 am

I've realized all of us questioners are relatively new to the forum as members, but I've been snooping around for years. I can't believe it escaped my notice that none of us had asked HAM?. Some of the responses made me laugh out loud. "Everything man-made is associated with these animals." Good god, I must have not had enough coffee the day I read that response.

Are tattoos relevant? Uniforms? Do the cothcos actually have anything blue or green on, in, or covering their body? (I'm including clothing as a covering here.) Are different definitions of blue and green relevant? Say, you'll go up to a blue person and see if they need cheering up, or you'll go up to a green person and offer help as they are a novice with something and you are an expert?

Are any of your hobbies or professions relevant?
trebor

Postby SurfingPikachu » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:40 pm

To be fair to us, the first set of answers established a cothco as an animal that a significant proportion of people have never seen before. While hilarious, I can see where we went astray, and wouldn't fault us too much for not asking HAM under those circumstances.

That said, any of the following relevant? Caps? Coats? Collars? Cuffs? Capes? Cosplaying? Any clothes or parts of clothes that start with C?
Any uniforms relevant? Blue=police? Green=army?
SurfingPikachu

Postby irishelk » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:54 pm

Earnest

No one asking HAM for 17 posts? It might be a record ...no words..I felt so stupid in this moment ahahahaahahahah I totally understand why, though. HAM is usually the first question if there's a particular character/characters named. I was a little sneaky.

So clothing...hat?T-shirt?Trousers?Shoes?Tie?Jackets?Pants?Socks? Could be any, shirts and hats are most likely. Does the firs c refer to the clothing item? No. If so is it cap?coat?
Do cotchcos want to attract people? YES.Do they hand out flyers? Sometimes. Do they belong to a political group? Sometimes. Do they sell something? Yope. Do they perform? No. Make music? No.

trebor

I've realized all of us questioners are relatively new to the forum as members, but I've been snooping around for years. I can't believe it escaped my notice that none of us had asked HAM?. Some of the responses made me laugh out loud. "Everything man-made is associated with these animals." Good god, I must have not had enough coffee the day I read that response. Haha they were fun to answer. We should try to do something like it again, and trick some of the old-timers.

Are tattoos relevant? No. Uniforms? DOYD but I'll say yes. Do the cothcos actually have anything blue or green on, in, or covering their body? (I'm including clothing as a covering here.) Yes. Are different definitions of blue and green relevant? The colors are both metaphorical and literal. Say, you'll go up to a blue person and see if they need cheering up, or you'll go up to a green person and offer help as they are a novice with something and you are an expert? Not these, but good guesses.

Are any of your hobbies or professions relevant? Not really.

SurfingPikachu

To be fair to us, the first set of answers established a cothco as an animal that a significant proportion of people have never seen before. While hilarious, I can see where we went astray, and wouldn't fault us too much for not asking HAM under those circumstances. That's why I gave the hint, it was starting to feel unfair. ^^

That said, any of the following relevant? Caps? Coats? Collars? Cuffs? Capes? Cosplaying? Only in that these are examples of clothing that may be blue or green. Any clothes or parts of clothes that start with C? Not specifically.
Any uniforms relevant? DOYD but I'll say yes. Blue=police? Green=army? No.
irishelk

Postby Earnest » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:19 pm

Well...I am not american...so I will ask if cotchcos are present also in Europe...

do they sell items for houses? do they sell items? Or provide services? Telephone companies? TV subscriptions? Do they represent a firm? Do they sell something different depending on the color of the clothing? Or the same product but of different companies?

Shhhhhh maybe I have understood...so are they attendant in gas stations?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:18 pm

Are these "uniforms" worn by workers in a certain profession? All in the same profession?
Balin

Postby SurfingPikachu » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:51 pm

Are cothcos trying to sell something? Such as insurance? A subscription?
Trying to get you to sign up for a service or apply for something? Such as credit cards?
Trying to solicit something? Such as donations?
Trying to hand out flyers? Interview you for surveys? Or otherwise demand your time or cooperation?

Are you colour-blind or impaired?
SurfingPikachu

Postby irishelk » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:15 pm

Earnest

Well...I am not american...so I will ask if cotchcos are present also in Europe... From what I can find, they definitely are in some places. Might not be as ubiquitous.

do they sell items for houses? No. do they sell items? Noish. Or provide services? Yope. Telephone companies? No. TV subscriptions? No. Do they represent a firm? Usually no. They do represent an organization of some kind though. Do they sell something different depending on the color of the clothing? In the sense that they do sell things: yes, usually. Or the same product but of different companies? Noish.

Shhhhhh maybe I have understood...so are they attendant in gas stations? No.

Balin

Are these "uniforms" worn by workers in a certain profession? Yesish, though again "uniform" is very loose. All in the same profession? No, they don't all wear similar things. But many do.

SurfingPikachu

Are cothcos trying to sell something? Sort of. Such as insurance? A subscription? Not these.
Trying to get you to sign up for a service or apply for something? Noish. Such as credit cards?
Trying to solicit something? Such as donations? Yes! Well done.
Trying to hand out flyers? Interview you for surveys? Or otherwise demand your time or cooperation? Any of these are possible, but donations are most central.

Are you colour-blind or impaired? No, but irr.
irishelk

Postby SurfingPikachu » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:26 pm

Do they collect coin donations using a coin can? Do they stick a sticker on your shirt after you have donated, to signal to the other donation collectors to not approach you for donations a second time? Any other donation mechanics relevant?

Is the colour that on the coin can or sticker? Do you need blue or green stickers for something? Do you just want to get rid of coins and want to donate to certain organisations?

Are cothcos just donation collectors from certain organisations? Or is something more specific involved?
SurfingPikachu

Postby trebor » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:19 pm

Are the blue or green ones typically children? Girl Guides selling cookies, for example?
trebor

Postby irishelk » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:40 pm

SurfingPikachu

Do they collect coin donations using a coin can? Irr. Do they stick a sticker on your shirt after you have donated, to signal to the other donation collectors to not approach you for donations a second time? No. Any other donation mechanics relevant? Yesish.

Is the colour that on the coin can or sticker? Possibly, but irr. Do you need blue or green stickers for something? No. Do you just want to get rid of coins and want to donate to certain organisations? No.

Are cothcos just donation collectors from certain organisations? No. Or is something more specific involved? Not more specific necessarily, but something else.

trebor

Are the blue or green ones typically children? No. Girl Guides selling cookies, for example? Good thought though!

Here we call them Girl Scouts, but I know that's one of the many, many instances where we're the odd ones out.
irishelk

Postby trebor » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:04 am

Do cothcos relevantly have religious affiliations? Are the donations in question of the monetary sort? If not, do you donate your time? Your expertise? Clothing? Other possessions? Something else of yours? Are they trying to "sell" you on an idea/ideology? Do you walk away from interactions with them with something physical that you didn't have prior to the interaction? Do they offer a tangible product? Do they provide you with helpful information? Directions? Is soliciting donations the primary focus of the work of a cothco?

Is the blue or green they wear the dominant colour in this particular type of cotcho's apparel? Is it worn above the waist? Below? On the head? Hands? Arms? Is what these blue or green cothcos wear common apparel other than the colouring? Do they wear suits? Other formal attire? Business casual gear? Casual? Pyjamas? Body paint?
trebor

Postby irishelk » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:53 pm

trebor

Do cothcos relevantly have religious affiliations? No. Are the donations in question of the monetary sort? Yes. If not, do you donate your time? Your expertise? Clothing? Other possessions? Something else of yours?
Are they trying to "sell" you on an idea/ideology? Most likely. Do you walk away from interactions with them with something physical that you didn't have prior to the interaction? No. Do they offer a tangible product? No. Do they provide you with helpful information? No. Directions? No.Is soliciting donations the primary focus of the work of a cothco? Yes.

Is the blue or green they wear the dominant colour in this particular type of cotcho's apparel? Yes.Is it worn above the waist? Below? On the head? Hands? Arms? Irr, but most commonly a shirt. Is what these blue or green cothcos wear common apparel other than the colouring? Yesish.Do they wear suits? Other formal attire? Business casual gear? Casual? Thisish. Pyjamas? Body paint?
irishelk

Postby SurfingPikachu » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:22 pm

Is colour in fact crucial to defining a cothco? Would a colour-blind person be able to recognise a cothco as one?
Do you avoid cothcos because you don't want to donate? Or because although you don't mind donating, there is something undesirable about donating specifically to a cothco?
SurfingPikachu

Postby trebor » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:16 pm

Do cothcos work for non-profits? A specific non-profit? A profit-making organization? A specific one? Do you avoid certain ones because you disagree with the cause the money will go to?

Are cothcos homeless people?
trebor

Postby CoffeeBean » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:08 pm

Would a Cothco who represented Organization ABC always wear green? Always wear blue?
Would a Cothco who represented Organization XYZ always wear green? Always wear blue?
When you see a Cotcho, do you immediately know which organization they represent? If yes, does the color of their shirt signify it? A symbol or logo on the shirt or elsewhere on them? Something they say?
Would a Cothco visit your home? Approach you in a public place? Stand or sit in a place where people can easily see them? Sneak up on you?
On the occasions when you willingly approach a cothco, is it because you want to give them something? Get something from them? Ask them a question? Provide a service for them?
Or do you only meet a cothco by chance? Or are there times when, for some reason, you are compelled or forced to interact with one?
CoffeeBean

Postby irishelk » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:14 pm

trebor

Do cothcos work for non-profits? Yes. A specific non-profit? No. A profit-making organization? Almost never, though it's possible. A specific one? Do you avoid certain ones because you disagree with the cause the money will go to? No.

Are cothcos homeless people? No.

CoffeeBean

Would a Cothco who represented Organization ABC always wear green? Always wear blue?
Would a Cothco who represented Organization XYZ always wear green? Always wear blue? They would wear green or blue, specific to their organization, yes.
When you see a Cotcho, do you immediately know which organization they represent? Yes. If yes, does the color of their shirt signify it? In part. A symbol or logo on the shirt or elsewhere on them? Yes. Something they say? Not ncessarily.

Would a Cothco visit your home? No. Approach you in a public place? Yes. Stand or sit in a place where people can easily see them? YES. Sneak up on you? Haha, at times I swear that they do!
On the occasions when you willingly approach a cothco, is it because you want to give them something? Noish. Get something from them? Noish. Ask them a question? No. Provide a service for them? No, but maybe closest to this.
Or do you only meet a cothco by chance? I encounter them by chance, but then I either approach or avoid them. Or are there times when, for some reason, you are compelled or forced to interact with one? Not relevantly.
irishelk

Postby SurfingPikachu » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:40 pm

I think you missed my questions
SurfingPikachu

Postby irishelk » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:46 pm

Sorry about that!

SurfingPikachu

Is colour in fact crucial to defining a cothco? No. Would a colour-blind person be able to recognise a cothco as one? Yes,
Do you avoid cothcos because you don't want to donate? Yesish. Or because although you don't mind donating, there is something undesirable about donating specifically to a cothco? This too--not super relevant to investigate though.
irishelk

Postby trebor » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:21 pm

Do the donations collected by cothcos typically go to human-centred causes? Animals? Ecological causes? Political ones? Do cothcos work for organizations (or an organization) that is meant to improve the lot of a disadvantaged group within society? Do they support medical issues? Is sport at all involved? Do most cothcos work for an organization that left-wing people would support? Centrist? Right-wing? Is cothco a broad term that doesn't particularly donate what the organization does or where the funds are going? (Like how one could be a volunteer, but a volunteer could do a number of things for a number of organizations?) Same questions for the blue/green ones specifically.

Are cothcos more likely to be seen at certain times of the year? In certain areas of a city? Do they usually have something else with them while they're working to help them perform their job or to interact with people? Same questions again for blue/green ones.

Do cothcos solicit donations for themselves? Like street performers or buskers? You said a while ago that it was kind of OTRT that you approached them because you wanted to be seen with them. Do you want to see something they're doing? Do they provide entertainment? Do they provide proof that you were at a certain place? Do you approach them (or get approached by them) when you have other relevant people with you? When you have a pet with you? When you are wearing something relevant?
trebor

Postby irishelk » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:14 pm

trebor

Do the donations collected by cothcos typically go to human-centred causes? Animals? Ecological causes? Political ones? Do cothcos work for organizations (or an organization) that is meant to improve the lot of a disadvantaged group within society? Do they support medical issues? Is sport at all involved? Do most cothcos work for an organization that left-wing people would support? Centrist? Right-wing? Is cothco a broad term that doesn't particularly donate what the organization does or where the funds are going? Correct--could be any of the above. (Like how one could be a volunteer, but a volunteer could do a number of things for a number of organizations?) Same questions for the blue/green ones specifically. Blue/green are for specific causes, ecological and political.

Are cothcos more likely to be seen at certain times of the year? In certain areas of a city? Do they usually have something else with them while they're working to help them perform their job or to interact with people? Same questions again for blue/green ones. Irr to all.

Do cothcos solicit donations for themselves? No. Like street performers or buskers? You said a while ago that it was kind of OTRT that you approached them because you wanted to be seen with them. Do you want to see something they're doing? No. Do they provide entertainment? No. Do they provide proof that you were at a certain place? No. Do you approach them (or get approached by them) when you have other relevant people with you? When you have a pet with you? When you are wearing something relevant? No to rest.
irishelk

Postby CoffeeBean » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:26 pm

When you "go right up to" a cothco, do you say anything to the person? Do they say anything to you? Is there a friendly exchange of words? Do they give you anything? Do you ask them any questions? Do they ask you any questions?

Does their function have anything to do with politics?
CoffeeBean

Postby trebor » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:29 am

Trying to figure out the metaphorical green and blue... is the green related to a political cause? An ecological one? Both, such as the Green Party? Is blue related to a political cause? An environmental one? Both? Blue states relevant? The Democratic Party? Another political party?

Are you trying to change the mind of a cothco when you go up to them? Do they collect information? Are they campaign aids? Environmentalists? Do you enjoy interacting with the ones you interact with?

Are specific ecological/political causes relevant?

Do you go up to them with other people? When other people are already with them? When other people are likely to go up to them? Is there a relevant happening occurring when you go up to them? At the end of these interactions you have with them do cothcos feel good? Good about themselves? That they've accomplished what they were trying to do? That they wish you hadn't come up to them?
trebor

Postby SurfingPikachu » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:15 pm

Are cothcos in fact primarily donation collectors? Or do they collect donations only as part of a broad range of work? Are they a specific type of donation collector? Does it feel like we are totally on the wrong track?
SurfingPikachu

Postby biograd » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:22 pm

Are multiple cothcos present in the same area relevant? If so, do you approach the cothcos whose causes you most appreciate, even if you don't wish to donate, because then it keeps the ones from coming up to you whose causes you consider unworthy?
biograd

Postby irishelk » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:14 pm

CoffeeBean

When you "go right up to" a cothco, do you say anything to the person? Yes. Do they say anything to you? Yes. Is there a friendly exchange of words? Yes. Do they give you anything? No. Do you ask them any questions? No. Do they ask you any questions? Yes.

Does their function have anything to do with politics? It could, irr.

trebor

Trying to figure out the metaphorical green and blue... is the green related to a political cause? An ecological one? Yes. Both, such as the Green Party? Is blue related to a political cause? An environmental one? Both? Yes. Blue states relevant? The Democratic Party? Another political party? You've basically got it, nothing more you need to find out.

Are you trying to change the mind of a cothco when you go up to them? No. Do they collect information? Irr. Are they campaign aids? Possibly. Environmentalists? Possibly. Do you enjoy interacting with the ones you interact with? Yes.

Are specific ecological/political causes relevant? No.

Do you go up to them with other people? Irr. When other people are already with them? No. When other people are likely to go up to them? No/irr. Is there a relevant happening occurring when you go up to them? No. At the end of these interactions you have with them do cothcos feel good? Yes. Good about themselves? I think so, yes (I hope so). That they've accomplished what they were trying to do? Not exactly, but OTRT. That they wish you hadn't come up to them? No.

SurfingPikachu

Are cothcos in fact primarily donation collectors? Yes. Or do they collect donations only as part of a broad range of work? They might do other things, but the donations are most relevant. Are they a specific type of donation collector? No. Does it feel like we are totally on the wrong track? No, you've figured out most of it, the only thing left is: why do I not avoid some particular blue and green canvassers?

biograd

Are multiple cothcos present in the same area relevant? No. If so, do you approach the cothcos whose causes you most appreciate, even if you don't wish to donate, Yesish to this much... because then it keeps the ones from coming up to you whose causes you consider unworthy? No.
irishelk

Postby SurfingPikachu » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:19 pm

WAGs:
Because... [freud] you have sexually imprinted onto blue and green clothes due to the fashion choices of a nanny when you were young? [/freud] :P
Because... something something American tax deductible charities?
Because... something something colour psychology?
Because... uhh, those are your ex-colleagues/friends?
SurfingPikachu

Postby irishelk » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:28 am

SurfingPikachu

WAGs:
Because... [freud] you have sexually imprinted onto blue and green clothes due to the fashion choices of a nanny when you were young? [/freud] :P No...but wait, if it's in my unconscious, how would I know?!
Because... something something American tax deductible charities?
Because... something something colour psychology?
Because... uhh, those are your ex-colleagues/friends? Great WAGs, unfortunately no to all.
irishelk

Postby SurfingPikachu » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:05 pm

Does the solution to this puzzle involve something specific to the USA?
SurfingPikachu

Postby trebor » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:06 am

Do you have the option of avoiding the ones you don't avoid? Do they position themselves in such a way that it is easier just to talk with them than to avoid them? (Like they're in front of turnstiles at a subway station, or something like that?) Some other reason unrelated to their being a cothco?
trebor

Postby CoffeeBean » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:46 pm

Are you a cothco too? Are you friends with any of them?
Are you related to any of them? Were you once a cothco?
CoffeeBean

Postby irishelk » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:05 pm

SurfingPikachu

Does the solution to this puzzle involve something specific to the USA? No.

trebor

Do you have the option of avoiding the ones you don't avoid? Yes. Do they position themselves in such a way that it is easier just to talk with them than to avoid them? (Like they're in front of turnstiles at a subway station, or something like that?) Irr. Some other reason unrelated to their being a cothco? No.

CoffeeBean

Are you a cothco too? Are you friends with any of them?
Are you related to any of them? Were you once a cothco? No to all.
(Actually, I was a door-to-door canvasser for three hellish weeks, but irr to the puzzle.
irishelk

Postby CoffeeBean » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:34 pm

May need a recap soon.

Does it benefit you to talk to a cothco? To avoid one of them?
Do you avoid them when you're in a hurry to get somewhere?
Do you talk to them when you aren't rushed to be somewhere else?
Do you always see them at the same kind of place?
CoffeeBean

Postby irishelk » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:33 pm

CoffeeBean

May need a recap soon. Will do.

Does it benefit you to talk to a cothco? Not tangibly, but I like to. To avoid one of them? It might.
Do you avoid them when you're in a hurry to get somewhere? No.
Do you talk to them when you aren't rushed to be somewhere else? No/irr.
Do you always see them at the same kind of place? Irr.

*************RECAP

Cothcos are canvassers who stand on the street and ask people for donations as they pass by (cothco = canvasser on the corner). I usually avoid them so as not to be harrassed/guilted out of my money.

However, certain canvassers I see, I do not avoid and will even approach. These cothcos are invariably wearing blue or green, because they represent environmental charities. The only thing left to discover is, why do I approach only these canvassers?
irishelk

Postby trebor » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:48 pm

I thought this had been asked already and answered in the negative, but I can't find confirmation: do you approach them solely because you wish to donate? (I would feel quite stupid if that was all it was.) Assuming not, are you attempting to liaison with them through some work or activities that you are involved with? Do you offer them advice? Do you tell them something that could benefit them? Like about an upcoming lecture pertinent to them, or something like that? Do you notice them doing something or using something that runs counter-intuitively to their ecological interests?
trebor

Postby irishelk » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:54 pm

trebor

I thought this had been asked already and answered in the negative, but I can't find confirmation: do you approach them solely because you wish to donate? (I would feel quite stupid if that was all it was.) No, thankfully. I was also amazed when writing the recap that that hadn't already been asked! If I had the "humans are animals" debacle and then that in the same puzzle, I would have felt like such a smart-ass that I would just have to slink away and hide for a while. :lol:
...but maybe a little OTRT?

Assuming not, are you attempting to liaison with them through some work or activities that you are involved with? No. Do you offer them advice? No. Do you tell them something that could benefit them? Yesish--again, not tangibly, but I do tell them something positive. Like about an upcoming lecture pertinent to them, or something like that? No. Do you notice them doing something or using something that runs counter-intuitively to their ecological interests? No.
irishelk

Postby CoffeeBean » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:31 pm

When you elect to approach one of them, do you always say the same kind of thing? Or are your words different each time to approach one of them? Are your comments good natured? Sarcastic? Humorous?
CoffeeBean

Postby irishelk » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:44 pm

CoffeeBean

When you elect to approach one of them, do you always say the same kind of thing? Yes. Or are your words different each time to approach one of them? Same basic message. Are your comments good natured? Yes. Sarcastic? Humorous? No to rest.
irishelk

Postby trebor » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:09 am

Do you tell them about a more effective spot for them to solicit donations at? About somebody in the vicinity that they should approach? Is anything they say relevant to your decision to approach them? Something about their appearance (other than whatever signifies them as an ecologically-minded cothco)? Are they positioned by any relevant signage? By something else? So that either they are in the way of some people or their message/cause might be misinterpreted?
trebor

Postby irishelk » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:36 pm

trebor

Do you tell them about a more effective spot for them to solicit donations at? No. About somebody in the vicinity that they should approach? No. Is anything they say relevant to your decision to approach them? As in, what they say before I approach? No. Something about their appearance (other than whatever signifies them as an ecologically-minded cothco)? No. Are they positioned by any relevant signage? By something else? So that either they are in the way of some people or their message/cause might be misinterpreted? No to rest.
irishelk

Postby trebor » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:01 am

Do they say anything relevant once you've started to approach them? Something that encourages you to talk to them?
trebor

Postby irishelk » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:54 pm

trebor

Do they say anything relevant once you've started to approach them? No. Something that encourages you to talk to them?

The only relevant factor in my going up to them is the color signifying which charity they work for. I'm not telling them that I want to donate, but that...
irishelk

Postby trebor » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:50 pm

Are you telling them that you can't donate? That you would if you could? That you will at another time or through another medium? That you need to donate? That you have donated already?
trebor

Postby CoffeeBean » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:58 pm

Are you telling them that the colors that they wear are your favorite colors?
That the colors are the same as some organization that you support or like?
If they were wearing white shirts with the organization's logo, would you still approach and talk to them?
CoffeeBean

Postby irishelk » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:50 am

trebor

Are you telling them that you can't donate? That you would if you could? That you will at another time or through another medium? That you need to donate? That you have donated already? That's the one. =)

*******************************SPOILER

When I see a canvasser on the corner (cothco) soliciting donations, I usually hope not to be approached, since I don't have a lot of money to throw around and they can be rather pushy. But on the rare occasions that I see them asking for donations to a place I already donate to regularly--and those are usually wearing either green or blue, since my charities of choice are environmental ones--I'm happy to walk up and let them know I support their cause.

After all, I had that job for a brief, miserable spell, and I know that meeting a friendly, like-minded person can make the day go by faster, even if they don't help you make quota. And of course, it pleasantly inflates my ego at the same time.
irishelk

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles