[Solong] One man's loss...

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[Solong] One man's loss...

Postby Solong » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:31 am

He was responsible for one man's death.
The next one might have been a coincidence, but it was starting to look like a curse.
The third man survived, but he aged rapidly.
Solong

Re: [Solong] One man'sloss...

Postby SurfingPikachu » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:55 am

All involved are people? HAM?
Shall we name them? "He" = Zack, "one man's death" = Adam, "next one" = Bob, "third man" = Charlie?
Anyone else relevant?

Is the time period relevant? Olden times? Modern times?
Are any locations relevant?
Is time travel relevant? Relativity? Supernatural stuff relevant? Biology relevant? Genetics? Diseases? Biotechnology relevant? Other technology relevant?
Is Zack's occupation relevant? Are these incidents related to his work?
Were the incidents spaced days apart? Weeks? Months? Longer? Shorter than days?
Did Zack have malicious intent?
SurfingPikachu

Postby Earnest » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:51 am

He was responsible for one man's death--> directly responsible? Did he killed the man (I mean classical murder with a weapon)? Indirectly (like the result of erroneous calculations)? Or did he make the man die? (e.g. telling someone where they could find the man) Relevant the reason why?Was him forced to do it? Did he want to kill the man? Was him unaware of something that provoked him to kill the man? Was him conscious of his actions when killing the man?

The next one might have been a coincidence, but it was starting to look like a curse-->did he have a list/a scheduled number of people to kill? did his job involve the risk of dying for his clients? Or are them patients of him? Was him a doctor? Experiments relevant? Were the three man somehow related to each other?

The third man survived, but he aged rapidly-->aged=physically?Visibly? Were the other two man survived would they have aged as well? Were the three men subject to the same treatment? Did the first and the second man die for the same reason? Or for different reasons but caused by the same origin (e.g. a test)? Were the three men subject to extreme conditions? Unusual conditions? Like on the very top of a mountain?

Is it a video game? Electronic relevant? Were the three men completely healthy? Or were them relevantly injured? Did they have relevant diseases?

Guess--> is space relevant? Like the story of the two twins of Einstein...I know that a similar experiment took place...so my question is...did he aged with respect to another man? Did he age of one month with respect to his brother? Did he age visibly or imperceptibly?
Earnest

Postby Solong » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:49 pm

All involved are people? HAM? For 'he' I would have to say H/yope/A/M/ yes. Good establishing question1
Shall we name them? "He" = Zack, "one man's death" = Adam, "next one" = Bob, "third man" = Charlie? [bOK][/b]
Anyone else relevant? not directly

Is the time period relevant? Olden times? Modern times? Fairly modern - 20th century.
Are any locations relevant? If you knew where they were all located, you might have a leading clue, though it might not solve the puzzle.
Is time travel relevant? Relativity? Supernatural stuff relevant? Biology relevant? Genetics? Diseases? Biotechnology relevant? None of these. Other technology relevant? a 20th century technology is relevant, but in some circumstances, the puzzle would work without it.
Is Zack's occupation relevant? Yessish/yopeAre these incidents related to his work? No.
Were the incidents spaced days apart? Weeks? Months? Longer? Shorter than days? Weeks or mmonths.
Did Zack have malicious intent? Not at all.
Solong

Postby Solong » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:06 pm

He was responsible for one man's death--> directly responsible?No, indirectly. Did he killed the man (I mean classical murder with a weapon)? Indirectly (like the result of erroneous calculations)? Or did he make the man die? You could say Zac caused Adam to die, but accidentally and unintentionally. Not this scenario. (e.g. telling someone where they could find the man) Relevant the reason why?Was him forced to do it? Did he want to kill the man? Was him unaware of something that provoked him to kill the man?All of these no or not relevant. Was him conscious of his actions when killing the man? Since it was unintentional, he was not aware, and also for another reason.

The next one might have been a coincidence, but it was starting to look like a curse-->did he have a list/a scheduled number of people to kill? did his job involve the risk of dying for his clients? Or are them patients of him? Was him a doctor? Experiments relevant? Were the three man somehow related to each other? No or n.r. to all.

The third man survived, but he aged rapidly-->aged=physically? No.Visibly? Yessish - explore. Were the other two man survived would they have aged as well? They would have grown older, yes.Were the three men subject to the same treatment? Did the first and the second man die for the same reason? Or for different reasons but caused by the same origin (e.g. a test)? Were the three men subject to extreme conditions? Unusual conditions? No to all.Like on the very top of a mountain? Well...any mountains are not part of the puzzle.

Is it a video game? Electronic relevant? No to both. Were the three men completely healthy? Or were them relevantly injured? Did they have relevant diseases?c Adam was not healthy, but I don't know if anybody could have known that. I don't know about Bob. Charlie certainly was.

Guess--> is space relevant? Like the story of the two twins of Einstein...I know that a similar experiment took place...so my question is...did he aged with respect to another man? Did he age of one month with respect to his brother? Good guess, but no.Did he age visibly or imperceptibly? Hmmm....both of these are true, in different ways. Clue: Charlie aged normally, in that he grew older, but he aged in another way also.
Solong

Postby trebor » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:58 am

Did Charlie age emotionally? Spiritually? Did he age cheese? Wine? Another alcoholic beverage? Did he age a physical thing that was not a part of his body?

Is Zack dead? Has he been dead for some time by the beginning of this puzzle?
trebor

Postby SurfingPikachu » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:47 am

Did Charlie "age rapidly" as a result of stress or trauma or a near-death experience?

"H/yope/A/M/ yes"
Wait, so the "yope" is for H or A? In case of H: so Zack is arguably human and arguably not human? Is he an android (robot)? AI? Extraterrestial?

Did Z know of the existence of A? B? C? Did he interact with them directly? Were A? B? C? aware of Z's existence?
SurfingPikachu

Postby Earnest » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:08 am

Following Surfing reasoning...was Zack an ape? I was thinking to Planet of the Apes or something like that...

Since it was unintentional, he was not aware, and also for another reason--> so, of course I am basing my hypotheses on the fictionality of the event...is that so? If so (if it is fictional) is the latter sentence referred to a phenomenon like the one of Hulk for instance? Something like Zack is normal but under certain conditions he transforms and become unable to control himself? Something like that?

to be sure aged rapidly = grow older faster than the normal process of growing? And is referred to C? Is the aging process of C effectively referred to his age? If so, was it a result/consequence of surviving? Like a price to pay? In aging rapidly do the years go normally for him? I mean a normal "n" years old person, the next year will be "n+1" years old. Is it the same for C? Or is it something intervening at molecular and cellular level? Did C's hairs turn white faster than the normal process of growing?
Charlie aged normally, in that he grew older, but he aged in another way also-->is it something metaphorical? or did he "was accelerated in the body development"? Did he aged faster because of something happened to him in the past? I mean...it can be that Zack attempted C's life in the past and C could be a fetus born in advance? To be sure...are present,past and future the same present past and future for all Z, A,B,C (ok maybe not for A and B in that they die...but I mean...a part from this)?
Earnest

Re: [Solong] One man's loss...

Postby Solong » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:42 am

Did Charlie age emotionally? Spiritually? Did he age cheese? Wine? Another alcoholic beverage? Did he age a physical thing that was not a part of his body? No or n.r. to all.

Is Zack dead? No/noish/yope. Has he been dead for some time by the beginning of this puzzle? No/noish/yope.
Solong

Postby Solong » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:48 am

Did Charlie "age rapidly" as a result of stress or trauma or a near-death experience? No to all.

"H/yope/A/M/ yes"
Wait, so the "yope" is for H [b]this.[/b] or A? In case of H: so Zack is arguably human and arguably not human? Is he an android (robot)? AI? Extraterrestial? He is 'human' but not human like you or I. At least, I assume you are?

Did Z know of the existence of A? B? C? Did he interact with them directly? No to both. Were A? B? C? aware of Z's existence? Yes.
Solong

Postby Solong » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:00 am

Following Surfing reasoning...was Zack an ape? I was thinking to Planet of the Apes or something like that... No apes involved.

Since it was unintentional, he was not aware, and also for another reason--> so, of course I am basing my hypotheses on the fictionality of the event...is that so? If so (if it is fictional) is the latter sentence referred to a phenomenon like the one of Hulk for instance? Something like Zack is normal but under certain conditions he transforms and become unable to control himself? Something like that? Yes, fiction is involved. Zack is not the Hulk, but not exactly 'normal' either. 'Control' not involved.

to be sure aged rapidly = grow older faster than the normal process of growing? And is referred to C? Is the aging process of C effectively referred to his age? If so, was it a result/consequence of surviving? Like a price to pay? In aging rapidly do the years go normally for him? I mean a normal "n" years old person, the next year will be "n+1" years old. Is it the same for C? Or is it something intervening at molecular and cellular level? Did C's hairs turn white faster than the normal process of growing?
Charlie aged normally, in that he grew older, but he aged in another way also-->is it something metaphorical? or did he "was accelerated in the body development"? Did he aged faster because of something happened to him in the past? I mean...it can be that Zack attempted C's life in the past and C could be a fetus born in advance? To be sure...are present,past and future the same present past and future for all Z, A,B,C (ok maybe not for A and B in that they die...but I mean...a part from this)? This is a bit too metaphysical for me! Charlie grew older gradually, from day to day, in one sense. In a different sense, which might be called metaphorical, but which also might be 'realistic,' he aged rapidly.

Earnest

Solong

Postby Earnest » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:11 am

He is 'human' but not human like you or I--> is he different from humans because he was victim/part of an experiment? Was him able to control all parts of his body?

Since it was unintentional, he was not aware, and also for another reason--> so...I mean...he caused the two men to die unintentionally means that he didn't have nothing to do with them and he didn't even saw them causing their death by a concatenation of events (e.g. he was the chief of the police and he gave the order not to put helmets for some reason and they died for this)? Or that he, involuntarily used one of his special powers/abilities or weapons which caused accidentally the men to die? I am thinking of something like Hancock.

Can Zack be considered a superhero? A super villain? Is magic involved like in Harry Potter (e.g. wisely's brothers who aged rapidly to participate the " Triwizard Tournament"?
Earnest

Postby SurfingPikachu » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:07 pm

Are Neanderthals involved? Ancient humans? Postmodern or futuristic humans? Superhumans? Mutants?
Is the mental age the one undergoing aging? Or possibly the soul?
Would this be reasonably expected to be able to happen in the real world? (Just as a gauge of how far into the realm of fiction we are dealing with)
SurfingPikachu

Postby Solong » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:37 pm

He is 'human' but not human like you or I--> is he different from humans because he was victim/part of an experiment? No Was him able to control all parts of his body? n.r.

Since it was unintentional, he was not aware, and also for another reason--> so...I mean...he caused the two men Actually only one. Bob's cause of death is unknown. to die unintentionally means that he didn't have nothing to do with them He had nothing to do with them, but they had something to do with him.and he didn't even saw them causing their death by a concatenation of events ( Tlruee.g. he was the chief of the police and he gave the order not to put helmets for some reason and they died for this)? Or that he, involuntarily used one of his special powers/abilities or weapons which caused accidentally the men to die? I am thinking of something like Hancock. All no or n.r.

Can Zack be considered a superhero? A super villain? No to both, but you are sort of OTRT. Explore.Is magic involved Not in the puzzle itself. like in Harry Potter (e.g. wisely's brothers who aged rapidly to participate the " Triwizard Tournament"? Harry Potter n.r.
Solong

Postby Solong » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:43 pm

Are Neanderthals involved? Ancient humans? Postmodern or futuristic humans? Superhumans?Thisish - no to the rest. Mutants?
Is the mental age the one undergoing aging? Or possibly the soul? No to both.
Would this be reasonably expected to be able to happen in the real world? (Just as a gauge of how far into the realm of fiction we are dealing with) Some of it did happen in the real world, some did not. Might be well to determine which of the four was in which category.
Solong

Postby Earnest » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:55 pm

Can Zack be considered a superhero? A super villain? No to both, but you are sort of OTRT--> superhero without superpowers like Batman/Iron man? Was him a mythological creature? Is him a normal man but with a super weapon? If I met Z on the street (in the moment when he indirectly killed the man in the case he can take different aspects) would I see him as a normal human? Is the thing that makes him different from every humans visible? A physical apparatus? A mechanical apparatus? O something mental?

In indirectly killing the man, did he throw something? Did he indirectly kill him while doing another relevant action? Was them (the victim and Z) in the same place when Z indirectly kill him? Are there portals? More worlds? Does Z belong to our world? Is Z famous in our world? Does he have a distinctive characteristics? Is it part of Marvel? Part of a film? A series? Comics? Cartoons?
Earnest

Postby SurfingPikachu » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:09 pm

Erh, presumably Zack could not have existed in the real world? Does that not make none of the deaths / survivals possible to have happened in the real world since they are all related to Zack? (Well, depends on how they are delineated I guess?)

Shall I go ahead and ask anyway: Which of the following could have happened in the real world? Adam's death? Bob's death? Charlie's survival? (Or are we supposed to ask only about sub-events / details?)
SurfingPikachu

Postby Solong » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:24 pm

Can Zack be considered a superhero? A super villain? No to both, but you are sort of OTRT--> superhero without superpowers like Batman/Iron man? Was him a mythological creature? Is him a normal man but with a super weapon? INo to all of these. f I met Z on the street (in the moment when he indirectly killed the man in the case he can take different aspects) would I see him as a normal human? Yes, he would look like other humans. Is the thing that makes him different from every humans visible? No. A physical apparatus? A mechanical apparatus? O something mental?

In indirectly killing the man, did he throw something? Did he indirectly kill him while doing another relevant action? Was them (the victim and Z) in the same place when Z indirectly kill him? Are there portals? More worlds? No or n.r. to all. Does Z belong to our world? Well, umm...yope Is Z famous in our world? Fairly well known to a literate person, I would say. Does he have a distinctive characteristics? Is it part of Marvel? Part of a film? This. A series? Comics? Cartoons?
To clarify: there is no question of murder. Zach caused Adam to die, but there was no intent. Indeed Zach couldn't have intended anything.
Solong

Postby Solong » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:29 pm

Erh, presumably Zack could not have existed in the real world? Correct; he could not have.Does that not make none of the deaths / survivals possible to have happened in the real world since they are all related to Zack? (Well, depends on how they are delineated I guess?) No, they all existed.

Shall I go ahead and ask anyway: Which of the following could have happened in the real world? Adam's death? Bob's death? Charlie's survival? All could have happened, and did. (Or are we supposed to ask only about sub-events / details?)
Solong

Postby Earnest » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:31 am

ok...so .. is the movie to which he is part recent? Is there a book? Is the book more recent than the film? Are there more than just one movie? Is it a TV series? Can the movie be classified as a science fiction? May I invoke the list of possible kinds of movies? Are in the film present monsters? Creatures from other worlds? Is the story focused on Z? Is the title of the film the name of Z?

is the impossibility of Zach's existence in the real world due to a characteristic that is not visible at a first sight? If so can it be considered a power? Is it instead due to something (an item/a particular condition) that is not present in the real world and make his existence possible in a fictional world? Is him immortal? Invisible? Is it impossible that he exists in our world because of the different course of the events in our world?(I mean the conditions for him to exist are present but history went in another direction for instance)
Can't Z be part of our world simply because he is fictional? E.g. like Indiana Jones which is a normal person but it is not part of our world.

Are the men's deaths due to the characteristic that makes Z different from normal humans? I mean, was Z a normal human would the two men die and the third one age rapidly? If not, is Z able to control the relevant characteristic that contradistinguish him? Is him aware to have that characteristic? Or did he discover it with those men'd deaths? Did he indirectly caused the death of the first two men in the attempt of saving them? In the attempt of saving someone?

All could have happened, and did---> so...Z did NOT exist in our world but Adam's death, Bob's death and Charlie's survival did happen in our world, right? So is it something like changing the course of the events by "fictionalizing" a real fact? Like e.g. the death of Kennedy caused by a secret organization for instance? If so are Bob, and Adam's death well known in history? And did C really age rapidly or is it part of the fiction?
Earnest

Postby Solong » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:58 pm

ok...so .. is the movie to which he is part recent? No, more a 'classic.' Is there a book? Is the book more recent than the film? No. Are there more than just one movie? Is it a TV series? AFAIK, only one movie. No TV series. Can the movie be classified as a science fiction? May I invoke the list of possible kinds of movies? To save the trouble, I would say it is more 'fantasy."Are in the film present monsters? Creatures from other worlds? Is the story focused on Z? Is the title of the film the name of Z? No to all.

is the impossibility of Zach's existence in the real world due to a characteristic that is not visible at a first sight? Yes If so can it be considered a power? Is it instead due to something (an item/a particular condition) that is not present in the real world and make his existence possible in a fictional world? Yes.Is him immortal? Well, not quite, but..... Invisible? No. Is it impossible that he exists in our world because of the different course of the events in our world?(I mean the conditions for him to exist are present but history went in another direction for instance) No or n.r.
Can't Z be part of our world simply because he is fictional? Yes. E.g. like Indiana Jones which is a normal person but it is not part of our world.
but not this example.
Are the men's deaths due to the characteristic that makes Z different from normal humans? I mean, was Z a normal human would the two men die and the third one age rapidly? Yes, this is possible. If not, is Z able to control the relevant characteristic that contradistinguish him? Is him aware to have that characteristic? Or did he discover it with those men'd deaths? Even in the fictional sense, I don't think he could 'control' this characteristic. Since he was factional he could not 'discover' the fact of their deaths. Did he indirectly caused the death of the first two men in the attempt of saving them? In the attempt of saving someone? N.r. saving anyone not relevant.

All could have happened, and did---> so...Z did NOT exist in our world but Adam's death, Bob's death and Charlie's survival did happen in our world, right? Right. So is it something like changing the course of the events by "fictionalizing" a real fact? No. Like e.g. the death of Kennedy caused by a secret organization for instance? If so are Bob, and Adam's death well known in history? No And did C really age rapidly or is it part of the fiction? He 'aged rapidly' as part of the fiction, and also normally in real life.
Earnest, you're headed in the right direction. If you knew the name of the movie, you would probably know what the puzzle is about. I have left a clue in there somewhere.
Solong

Postby SurfingPikachu » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:12 pm

I feel like these clues should be more than enough for a movie buff to pinpoint a particular movie quickly, but I watch far fewer movies than the average person. I have, however, been observing a particular LTPF forummer titling all their puzzles with movie names though... :lol:

Zack sounds very passive from all the answers though. Does he even take any relevant action? Or is it his existence that drives the other men's actions?
SurfingPikachu

Postby Solong » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:50 pm

I feel like these clues should be more than enough for a movie buff to pinpoint a particular movie quickly, but I watch far fewer movies than the average person. I have, however, been observing a particular LTPF forummer titling all their puzzles with movie names though... :lol: 'Twasn't me. There is no direct reference to the movie in this puzzle, only a hint.

Zack sounds very passive from all the answers though. Does he even take any relevant action? His actions as a fictional character are not relevant. Or is it his existence that drives the other men's actions? ...but his existence as a fictional character did play a part in the lives of Adam, Bob, and Charlie.

Further hint: I classified the movie genre as 'fantasy,' but it's not Disney.
Solong

Postby trebor » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:11 pm

Is Charlie both a person IRL and a character in the film? Is he an actor in the film? Did he work on the film in another capacity?

Was Adam murdered? Did he commit suicide? Is his cause of death relevant? Was he a member of the film's crew/cast/creative team? Same questions for Bob, please.
trebor

Postby Earnest » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:03 am

to be sure...in surviving the accident was C the last man surviving on earth with Z?

Is the time period relevant? Olden times? Modern times? Fairly modern - 20th century---> is 20th century the future for the timing of the movie?

Earnest, you're headed in the right direction. If you knew the name of the movie, you would probably know what the puzzle is about. I have left a clue in there somewhere.......not really a movie expert...is it a classic...I mean was it redone recently? Was the original movie produced between 1930-1950?1950-2000? 2000-2015? Was the movie produced by Pixar? Is it a cartoon? Or a movie in which actors are real humans?

Is him immortal? Well, not quite, but..... ---> something like the "wolverine" (he is able to seal cuts but he has a weak spot)

He 'aged rapidly' as part of the fiction, and also normally in real life--> in the sense that all happened in the movie but could also happen in real life? Also the "age rapidly" part? If so, it is not possible in reality that years go more rapidly for some and not for others right? So I would exclude the fact that he aged rapidly in the sense that after escaping death he had one year or two years more than the ones he would have if he didn't escape the death, right? Or something like one year for him was done of less days than normal people or something like that, right? Hence, my question is...did also other people age rapidly as him? Did he age more rapidly than other people? At the same "speed"? Did he effectively age rapidly or it just "seemed"?(e.g. he wore makeup like an old man?) Aging rapidly = have some of the typical characteristics of an old man? Like experience? Or something typically identifying an old man? Aging = simply growing older in absolute? Aged rapidly = he was able to do something that he wasn't before being too young? Was it an advantage for him to age rapidly? A disadvantage? Relevant how C realized to rapidly age? because of him looking at the mirror? Through interaction with other people?

Guess--> did the others think that he was death so that C saw his gravestone (so he aged rapidly in the sense that he was considered death before the time)?

The cause of aging must be a "real one" right? is radioactivity relevant? Is the same thing that allowed him to avoid death to make him age rapidly? Is it relevant how he was able to escape death? Why he did escape death and the others not? Was it physically possible for the others to escape death? Relationship of them with Z: did they want something from Z? Did they have fear of Z? If so, because of his powers? because of his job? Did they want to steal something to Z (e.g. the source of his power)? Did the three know each other? Were them accomplices? Did they all have the same aim?
Earnest

Postby SurfingPikachu » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:11 pm

I meant IrishElk :lol:

Wait, so, do you mean that A B C exist both in the fictional setting and in the real world? And they died/survived similarly in the fictional setting and in the real world? (If not, was A similar? B? C?) Or do you mean that only Z exists in the fictional setting, and A B C died/survived in the real world due to this work of fiction?

You implied that the movie would be relatively well known. Then are Z? A? B? C? also about as well known as the movie itself?

"He 'aged rapidly' as part of the fiction, and also normally in real life."
So C does not age rapidly in real life? C ages rapidly in the fiction? This rapid aging in the fiction is physical? Or some other type of aging?

Did you intend to type "factional" or was it a typo of "fictional"?
SurfingPikachu

Postby Solong » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:38 pm

Is Charlie both a person IRL and a character in the film? Is he an actor in the film? Yes to both. Did he work on the film in another capacity? No

Was Adam murdered? Did he commit suicide? No to both.Is his cause of death relevant? Yessish.Was he a member of the film's crew/cast Yope/yessish./creative team? Same questions for Bob, please. Same answers, except that Bob's cause of death was n.r.
Solong

Postby Solong » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:59 pm

o be sure...in surviving the accident was C the last man surviving on earth with Z? n.r.

Is the time period relevant? Olden times? Modern times? Fairly modern - 20th century---> is 20th century the future for the timing of the movie? The movie was made in the 20th c., and was set in the 20th c.

Earnest, you're headed in the right direction. If you knew the name of the movie, you would probably know what the puzzle is about. I have left a clue in there somewhere.......not really a movie expert...is it a classic...I mean was it redone recently? Ir is considered a classic of its genre, and AFAIK has not been remade, though I could be wrong about this.Was the original movie produced between 1930-1950? This.1950-2000? 2000-2015? Was the movie produced by Pixar? Is it a cartoon? No and no. Or a movie in which actors are real humans? Yes, all live actors.

Is him immortal? Well, not quite, but..... ---> something like the "wolverine" (he is able to seal cuts but he has a weak spot) Not this, and not anyting similar to this, I'm afraid.

He 'aged rapidly' as part of the fiction, and also normally in real life--> in the sense that all happened in the movie but could also happen in real life? Also the "age rapidly" part? If so, it is not possible in reality that years go more rapidly for some and not for others right? So I would exclude the fact that he aged rapidly in the sense that after escaping death he had one year or two years more than the ones he would have if he didn't escape the death, right? Or something like one year for him was done of less days than normal people or something like that, right? Hence, my question is...did also other people age rapidly as him? Did he age more rapidly than other people? At the same "speed"? Did he effectively age rapidly or it just "seemed"?(e.g. he wore makeup like an old man?) Yes - he was 'aged' with makeup, as well as aging naturally - getting a little older every day.Aging rapidly = have some of the typical characteristics of an old man? Like experience? Or something typically identifying an old man? Aging = simply growing older in absolute? Aged rapidly = he was able to do something that he wasn't before being too young? Was it an advantage for him to age rapidly? A disadvantage? Aging in the film was an advantage. Aging IRL - well, nobody likes getting older, with physical aches & pains, but he may have found some professional advantage in it. Relevant how C realized to rapidly age? because of him looking at the mirror? Through interaction with other people? He looked in the makeup mirror.

Guess--> did the others think that he was death so that C saw his gravestone (so he aged rapidly in the sense that he was considered death before the time)? No.

The cause of aging must be a "real one" right? DOYD - do you mean aging on-screen or off? is radioactivity relevant? NoIs the same thing that allowed him to avoid death to make him age rapidly? Is it relevant how he was able to escape death? Why he did escape death and the others not? Was it physically possible for the others to escape death? Zach 'escaped death' because he was a fictional character, and the same rules did not apply to him as did to A, B, & C. Relationship of them with Z: did they want something from Z? Did they have fear of Z? If so, because of his powers? because of his job? Did they want to steal something to Z (e.g. the source of his power)? Did the three know each other? Were them accomplices? Did they all have the same aim? Their relationship to Z was that he was a fictional character and they were actors. They may have known one another or not, IDK.
Anything I haven't answered is No or n.r., or simply IDK
Solong

Postby Solong » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:14 pm

Wait, so, do you mean that A B C exist both in the fictional setting and in the real world? And they died/survived similarly in the fictional setting and in the real world? (If not, was A similar? B? C?) Or do you mean that only Z exists in the fictional setting, Correct.and A B C died/survived in the real world due to this work of fiction? A possibly died because of this work of fiction, B, unknown. C survived, not because of the work of fiction, but it might have had an effect on his subsequent career.

You implied that the movie would be relatively well known. Then are Z? Z should be known to anyone who knows the movie. A? B? probably not. C? Yes, he had a long and successful career. Maybe not as well known as the film itself, and not a 'star.' but recognizable.also about as well known as the movie itself?

"He 'aged rapidly' as part of the fiction, and also normally in real life." Yessish.
So C does not age rapidly in real life? C ages rapidly in the fiction? In the fiction, he was already aged.This rapid aging in the fiction is physical? Yes.Or some other type of aging?

Did you intend to type "factional" or was it a typo of "fictional"? Yes, a typo.

BTW, the clue as to the film is in the puzzle title.
Solong

Postby Earnest » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:13 am

Wait wait...sorry...so let's split real life and fictional life:

Z= completely fictional character, right?
A,B,C=actors = real life person, right? So...maybe...is it something like they all interpreted Z and in the fictional life A and B put on stage the death of Z while C had to interpret Z in his old age? Something like that? Or A and B were actors interpreting some characters that had been replaced by Z so that the characters of A and B had to die in order Z to come to scene? And Z was interpreted by C who was younger than the character he had to put on stage (Z)?

Can I invoke the list of fantasy movies based on the ones of Wikipedia of 1930s, 1940s, 1950s?
Earnest

Postby SurfingPikachu » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:03 am

Were A? B? C? in fact supposed to act the part of Z? Or some other supporting characters?
Did A? B? actually die or did they simply portray fictional characters who died? If they actually died, was it while filming? Or some time later? (Was it like A portrayed Z, A died, so B was gotten to replace A to portray Z, and he also died, so finally C was gotten to portray Z?) Were anyone relevantly required to replace them to continue the filming after their deaths?
C's aging purely means that C put on makeup to portray an old man?
I noticed you never explicitly said that A, B, C are HAM. Are they?
Are any of A, B, C stunt men or stunt doubles?
SurfingPikachu

Postby Solong » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:29 am

Z= completely fictional character, right? Right.
A,B,C=actors = real life person, right? Yes.So...maybe...is it something like they all interpreted Z they tried out for the part of Z. and in the fictional life A and B put on stage the death of Z Z did not die in the film.while C had to interpret Z in his old age? Yessish/yopeSomething like that? Or A and B were actors interpreting some characters that had been replaced by Z so that the characters of A and B had to die in order Z to come to scene? And Z was interpreted by C who was younger than the character he had to put on stage (Z)? Yes. He was the youngest of all.

Can I invoke the list of fantasy movies based on the ones of Wikipedia of 1930s, this - yes. 1940s, 1950s?
Solong

Postby Solong » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:35 am

Were A? B? C? in fact supposed to act the part of Z? Yes! Or some other supporting characters?
Did A? B? actually die Yes. or did they simply portray fictional characters who died? If they actually died, was it while filming? Yes, with a slight 'ish. Or some time later? (Was it like A portrayed Z, A died, so B was gotten to replace A to portray Z, and he also died, so finally C was gotten to portray Z?) Actual filming had not started, but otherwise this is correct.Were anyone relevantly required to replace them to continue the filming after their deaths?
C's aging purely means that C put on makeup to portray an old man? Yes.
I noticed you never explicitly said that A, B, C are HAM. Are they? Yes.
Are any of A, B, C stunt men or stunt doubles? No. Just actors.
Solong

Postby SurfingPikachu » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:47 am

Meep, my Google-fu is too weak, 20 mins of Googling turns up nothing fitting these circumstances...
SurfingPikachu

Postby Earnest » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:38 am

Did A and B die because not enough technology was present in 1930s to film some scenes? Some action Z was supposed to do? Is the film about magic? Magicians? Was the film produced in 1931? 1932?1933? 1934? 1935? 1936? 1937? 1938? 1939?
Earnest

Postby Solong » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:16 pm

Did A and B die because not enough technology was present in 1930s to film some scenes? Some action Z was supposed to do? Is the film about magic? No or n.r. to both. Magicians? Was the film produced in 1931? 1932?1933? 1934? 1935? 1936? 1937? 1938? 1939? It was released in 1937, not sure if it was filmed that year.
Solong

Postby Earnest » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:18 pm

Ok so, following wikipedia's page we have: The Dybbuk? Lost Horizon? Snow white and the seven dwarfs? Topper? Wish upon a pike? The wizard of Oz?

Is it an American movie? So, was C the only member in the cast of the film among A,B and C?

Did A and B suicide themselves? One of the two? Did they die because they were filming too dangerous scenes? Did they die because of something they read in the scripts? Was filming the main cause of their death? Was it something related to their private lives that was somehow disarranged by their duties as actors of the film?

So...A B and C was supposed to interpret Z right? Were them all supposed to interpret Z in the same moment (e.g. they all look similar so that e.g. A interpret Z in the young age, B in the middle age and C in the old age?) or in different moments (e.g. before A, then A died; then it comes B, B died and at the end C?)? Suppose A is the first one that had to interpret Z and died. Was B aware that A died because of Z?

WAG--> 1937...so is war relevant? were A and B jews? Is Germany relevant? Nazi?
Earnest

Postby SurfingPikachu » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:40 pm

Aha, 1937 is enough for me to narrow down the film to Lost Horizon >.<
SurfingPikachu

Postby Solong » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:20 pm

Ok so, following wikipedia's page we have: The Dybbuk? Lost Horizon? Snow white and the seven dwarfs? Topper? Wish upon a pike? The wizard of Oz?

Is it an American movie? So, was C the only member in the cast of the film among A,B and C?

Did A and B suicide themselves? One of the two? Did they die because they were filming too dangerous scenes? Did they die because of something they read in the scripts? Was filming the main cause of their death? Was it something related to their private lives that was somehow disarranged by their duties as actors of the film?

So...A B and C was supposed to interpret Z right? Were them all supposed to interpret Z in the same moment (e.g. they all look similar so that e.g. A interpret Z in the young age, B in the middle age and C in the old age?) or in different moments (e.g. before A, then A died; then it comes B, B died and at the end C?)? Suppose A is the first one that had to interpret Z and died. Was B aware that A died because of Z?

WAG--> 1937...so is war relevant? were A and B jews? Is Germany relevant? Nazi? Some very good and imaginative guesses, but, alas, all wrong - except for the fact that it was an American film.
Solong

Postby Solong » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:37 pm

Aha, 1937 is enough for me to narrow down the film to Lost Horizzons. >.< [b]Yes! Hence the title.

I don't vouch 100% for the accuracy of the following - there may be some Hollywood legend mixed in there, but here is the

*************************************SPOILER******************************\
Frank Capra, the director of the film, first hired stage actor A.E. Anson, who was 56, for the part of the 200-year-old Grand Lama. On being informed that he had the part, Anson had a heart attack and died. Capra then hired Henry B. Walthall, 58, but he died before shooting started. He then decided to get a younger man for the part, Sam Jaffe, who was only 45.
According to some sources, Capra was still not satisfied, and reshot some scenes with character actor Walter Connolly, who had just turned 50. In the end, he went with Jaffe.
So Sam Jaffe (Charlie) aged in the film, with the help of makeup, then went on to a long and successful career of playing old men, though none 200 years old or more. He kept portraying that kind of part until the year he died, at the age of 93

thanks for sticking with it, Earnest and SP. Hope it didn't take too much off your life-spans!
Solong

Postby Earnest » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:14 am

wow very interesting! I am again sorry for my ignorance in the subject, but I mean I've really appreciated the puzzle!!
Earnest

Postby Solong » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:30 am

Glad you enjoyed it, Earnest. Saw this on Turner Classic Movies a few days ago, and the presenter said something about this, so I looked up the details on Google, & thus a puzzle was born. Got to admit, it helps to be an old movie freak!
Solong

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles