[Balin] Some luck (escape)

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[Balin] Some luck (escape)

Postby Balin » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:31 pm

This is the sequel to "The gravity of the situation," and this is the room you can die in. If you make a fatal error, I will post the words "YOU HAVE DIED" along with a death counter, then return you to the last thing you did before making the deadly move. If I break character, I will do so in blue italics.

This room was inspired by the 2007 escape game MuseLock, an anagram of which provided the puzzle title.

I thought whoever trapped me in that cliff room would leave me alone for a while, but only a week after escaping, I'd fallen asleep on my couch, woke up to the sound of footsteps, then smelled that sweet smell and passed out.

Now I'm once again in an armchair in a strange room with a headache.

In my hand are two notes. The first says:

Unmatched in ingenuity;
Escaped the cliff alive.
Will skill (perhaps fortuity)
Allow you to survive?

And the second:

Look carefully and warily;
More ways than one, you're trapped.
A single gaffe, and verily,
Your life is shortly wrapped.

...well, this is going to suck.

I don't know if it's because I've already smelled the sweet stuff or because the guy used less or whatever reason, but I do feel well enough to look around, although I still have this headache.

This room is completely white, with the ceiling, walls, and floor all covered in large tiles, maybe two feet by two feet square.

In front of me I see a small alcove, about one tile square, with a wooden door at its back. There is a large, glowing emergency exit sign above the door.

On the wall to my left is a desk with two drawers, one above the other. There is an open laptop computer on the desk, and a large metal box under it.

On the wall to my right is a whiteboard. Interesting - I'd have expected it to be about halfway up the wall, but the bottom is level with the floor.

In the corner directly to my right is a small table with what I believe is a printer on it.

On the same wall as the armchair, but to my left, is a large painting of some sort. I can't read it while I'm sitting down.
Balin

Re: [Balin] Some luck (escape)

Postby Acridian9 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:19 pm

Great! I've just played the MuseLock (I died 3 times) and Ii'm sure this will be even better!

Let's begin by examining things around: armchair, painting, whiteboard, desk and drawers, laptop, metal box, alcove, door, emergency light, table and printer.
In doing this, don't move the objects!
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:34 am

Great! I've just played the MuseLock (I died 3 times) and I'm sure this will be even better! Thanks! Hope you enjoy it!

Let's begin by examining things around: In doing this, don't move the objects! Given the deadly nature of this room, I will be careful when examining everything and will not touch them.

armchair
It's a very comfortable armchair much like the one I woke up in last room.
Laying down on the floor, I can see under the chair. There is a small piece of paper or something under the chair; I might be able to fit my hand under it but not my entire arm, so I can't reach it right now.

painting
The massive painting is of an unrolled scroll. On the scroll is this poem:

The task for your solving
Is massive, colossal;
I’m only one part -
Or perhaps I am four.
Don’t enter one wrong;
Don’t mistakenly jostle;
If so - heed my warning -
Your life is no more.

There are four locks holding the painting to the wall, one on each corner. Each lock asks for a five-digit combination.

whiteboard
Written on the whiteboard in black marker:

K=9
else V=8
else G=7
else M=6
else P=5
else Y=4
else D=3
else C=2
else N=1
else 0

There is no marker or eraser in sight.
Moving forward, I notice that the air feels hotter as I approach the whiteboard. Keeping the heat in mind, I check to see how the board is attached to the wall - four screws.

desk and drawers
The desk is about six feet wide, with the two drawers on its right side. Both drawers are ordinary, with two handles and a keyhole. The top drawer has the words "OPEN ME!!!" written directly on the wood.
Aside from the laptop, there is a notebook (closed) on the desk, and on the notebook is a device that looks like a BlackBerry.

laptop
The laptop, an ordinary PC, is open but shows a black screen. The power cord, plugged into the right side of the computer, drapes down behind the desk.

metal box
It's about three feet wide by two feet high by two feet deep. The front cover is screwed on.
Above the box, I can see the power cord hanging down in front of a wall outlet. But the cord's plug seems frayed;
part of the plastic is missing and I can see some of the electric wires.

alcove
There's nothing particular about this alcove - the walls and ceiling are tiled the same as the rest of the room - except for the door.

door
The door is an ordinary wooden door, with a doorknob and keyhole... but I do hear a slight buzzing as I get closer to the door.
Now that I'm close to the door, I can see a key sticking out of the lock. When I get closer to examine the key, the buzzing gets louder.

emergency light
It's an ordinary exit sign, one of these.

table and printer
The table is very ordinary, about two feet square. The printer, a black thing with a black screen, is resting on it. Again, I see its cord hanging below the table.
Looking under the table, I see the end of the cord (this time, the plug looks intact) hanging in front of another outlet. I also see a screwdriver on the inside of one of the table legs, kept in place by a length of wire wrapped around it, and a Post-it note on the floor. It reads, "CIRCUIT BREAKER - keep locked at all times."
Standing up, I notice a small metal box - I'll say "metal panel" to differentiate it from the big metal box under the desk - on the wall about three feet above the printer.
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:46 am

Let's begin with the screwdriver: is it connected to something? is the wire connected to something? If not, try to take it.

Take a look at the two wall outlets and at the metal panel, then to the BlackBerry and notebook.
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:34 pm

Let's begin with the screwdriver: is it connected to something? is the wire connected to something? Neither appear connected to anything. If not, try to take it. I can easily unwrap the wire and remove the screwdriver, so I do so. I'll also take the length of wire - it's about five feet long when unwrapped and seems like it could be useful.

Take a look at the two wall outlets and at the metal panel, then to the BlackBerry and notebook.
The two outlets are normal wall outlets with two sockets, although both bottom sockets have one of those plastic child-protective covers stuck into them, so each outlet has only one available socket.

The metal panel has a small window in it, and I can see a couple small fuses through the window - this must be the circuit breaker. It is locked, and unlike the door there is no key in this keyhole.

The BlackBerry is - actually, it says above the screen "ZoliTech Pocket Internet" - it's powered off and is just resting on the notebook.

The notebook (which I haven't yet touched) is a spiral-bound one with a dark purple cover.
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:09 pm

Try to power the BlackBerry on. Then move it and look through the notebook.

Try to open the metal box with the screwdriver.
Also, try to discover the reason for the heat near the whiteboard.
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:49 am

Try to power the BlackBerry on.
I press the power button and the screen turns on. The device loads up and immediately connects to the Internet.
You may now use the Internet to help you solve puzzles.

Then move it and look through the notebook.
The first page of the notebook contains what looks like a guest list:

Marvel at the guests invited to the first annual
PROBLEM SOLVERS CONFERENCE
in beautiful Washington, D.C.!

Instructions for the staff:
-Be sure to seat each man as he arrives earliest.
-I know several of you have been nam-edropping the identities of several of the guests among yourselves. DO NOT GOSSIP!

Guests:
mr BETA
mr NEAT
mr PRESIDE
mr PERUSE
mr NOIRE

The bottom-right corner of this page is torn, and I think I can see some corner of a drawing on the next page. Turning the page, I see the following drawing:

someluckdraw.png
someluckdraw.png (248.04 KiB) Viewed 2454 times

...that is frightening.

Try to open the metal box with the screwdriver.
I unscrew the front cover of the metal box. The cover swings open in two sections, revealing... another cover, this one made of glass (or possibly tough plastic, I can't tell by sight) with an electronic keypad asking for digits from 0 to 9.

Behind the glass are - I have never seen one of these before but I am certain of it - the components for a bomb.

The explosive, a large chunk of some plastic explosive, takes up most of the right side of the bomb. There are a large number of those clamps like those in the rightmost drawing plugged into the explosive, with wires trailing from the teeth of the clamp into a tangle on the left side of the bomb. (There is also one clamp not plugged in, with no wire attached, on the floor of the bomb next to the explosive.) Near the top of the bomb, in the middle, is a bent tube like the one in the left drawing, with a gray liquid inside. Two wires trail from the left side of the bent tube, connected to the tube with what looks like an oversized metal nut. The tube is also secured to the roof of the bomb with two metal clamps (not like the ones in the drawing, these are hanging from the ceiling with a loop of metal around the tube).

Also, try to discover the reason for the heat near the whiteboard.
I don't know right now, but after moving along the board, and closer and farther away, I can say that it is hottest near the center of the board, near the floor.
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:57 am

Does the BlackBerry have a search feature? If yes, try to search for "PROBLEM SOLVERS CONFERENCE", the 5 guests names, or a combination of them (in particular, all 5 names, and "PROBLEM SOLVERS CONFERENCE" followed by a name).
Other features? (like: can it show a site? follow a link? show a picture?)

Can you reach the paper under the chair with the screwdriver or wire?

Then, let's die for the first time.....try to open the desck drawers.
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:57 pm

Does the BlackBerry have a search feature? I mean, I can access Google...
If yes, try to search for "PROBLEM SOLVERS CONFERENCE", the 5 guests names, or a combination of them (in particular, all 5 names, and "PROBLEM SOLVERS CONFERENCE" followed by a name). Nothing useful comes up.
Other features? (like: can it show a site? follow a link? show a picture?) It can access the Internet as well as any common mobile device.

Can you reach the paper under the chair with the screwdriver or wire? The wire can reach it but can't drag the paper forward. The screwdriver isn't long enough.

Then, let's die for the first time.....try to open the desk drawers. The bottom drawer does not open; it must be locked.

The top drawer is not locked, but it's very hard to pull open, as if something is resisting it. I finally pull it open and look inside.
Without warning, something hits the back of my head. I feel the pain, then nothing.

YOU HAVE DIED
Death Counter: 1

Reset to before opening the top drawer.
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:23 am

Examine the top drawer, expecially the rear part: see if there is something connected to it.

Examine the power cord of the printer: can it be unplugged from the printer? Is it similar to the power cord of the PC? Try to insert the plug in the wall outlet.

If the heat allows it, use the screwdriver on the whiteboard.

And for the second death.....try 01551 on the electronic keypad of the bomb.
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:32 pm

I had another look at that planner, and I just realized something. After the page with the drawings of the bomb, the next page has been torn out. The page after that is blank, but...

Examine the top drawer, especially the rear part: see if there is something connected to it. I take a look at the back of the desk... yes, it's hard to see, but there is a thin wire trailing up from that drawer along the wall in the thin gap between two of the tiles.

Examine the power cord of the printer: can it be unplugged from the printer? No, I think the cord is permanently attached. Is it similar to the power cord of the PC? It's a little thicker. Try to insert the plug in the wall outlet. I do so successfully. Assuming there's power going through this outlet, I should be able to turn on the printer now.

If the heat allows it, use the screwdriver on the whiteboard. I unscrew the whiteboard and move it to the side. Behind the whiteboard is a fireplace... a very hot fireplace. In fact, every few seconds or so, it seems to get even hotter. I don't like this...

And for the second death.....try 01551 on the electronic keypad of the bomb. Nothing happens. I look closer at the display - I think it can take one more digit. For now, I delete the numbers I've input.
Balin

Postby biograd » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:23 pm

Are the plugs (the ones that resemble the right part of the drawing) made of some non-conductive material like plastic, or are they metal? If they are plastic, try twisting them to unplug them. If they are metal, then take off your shirt and try to untwist them by grabbing them using the shirt so that you don't make contact with your hand. Whatever you do, don't tilt the box (since I suspect that the mercury switch will detect the tilt and set off the bomb).

If for whatever reason this is impossible, is there anything inside the bomb that looks like a battery (or a wire leading outside the box)? If there is clearly no power source inside and the box is connected to the floor, then try lifting it (again without tilting).
biograd

Postby Balin » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:28 pm

Are the plugs (the ones that resemble the right part of the drawing) made of some non-conductive material like plastic, or are they metal? If they are plastic, try twisting them to unplug them. If they are metal, then take off your shirt and try to untwist them by grabbing them using the shirt so that you don't make contact with your hand. Whatever you do, don't tilt the box (since I suspect that the mercury switch will detect the tilt and set off the bomb). I cannot tell, and I cannot reach them, as the glass (or thick plastic) cover prevents me from reaching into the bomb.

If for whatever reason this is impossible, is there anything inside the bomb that looks like a battery (or a wire leading outside the box)? Looking through the tangle of wires on the left, I think I can see a few large batteries. If there is clearly no power source inside and the box is connected to the floor, then try lifting it (again without tilting). (Given the metal construction of the box, I don't think I have the strength to lift it without tilting it...)

That fire is getting hotter. I need to do something about it...
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:50 pm

Is it possible to put the whiteboard back in place?

Can you follow the thin wire and see to what it's attached?

Try to turn the printer on.

What about the blank page of the planner? Anything readable transferred from the previous missing page?
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:12 am

Is it possible to put the whiteboard back in place? I hurriedly put the whiteboard back over the fireplace and screw it into place. Hopefully the board will be enough to fend back the heat and any other potential danger from the fire.

Can you follow the thin wire and see to what it's attached? It's hard to see the wire, but it looks like it extends all the way to the ceiling.

Try to turn the printer on. Done - it's on.

What about the blank page of the planner? Anything readable transferred from the previous missing page? It looks like there are some indentations there but I can't read them.
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:59 pm

Anything new about the printer? its screen?

Can you move the armchair? Any cushions on it? if yes, look under them.
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:03 pm

Anything new about the printer? its screen? The screen says there is one item in the print queue.

Can you move the armchair? No, it's too heavy. Any cushions on it? Yes, one. if yes, look under them. I was expecting there to be something after the last cushion I lifted, but nope.

HINT: Not all traps can be disarmed. While some must be disarmed, others can be avoided, and still others must be activated safely.
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:50 pm

There's no paper in the printer, right? Can you use a blank page of the notebook in the printer (but not the one with indentations)?

Last cushion had something inside....what about this one?

Is it possible to pull the thin wire while standing next to the wall (or keeping away from the drawer anyway)?
If not, is it possible to open the drawer by not standing in front of it?
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:19 am

There's no paper in the printer, right? I open up the printer tray - actually, there is a sheet of paper in the printer. Can you use a blank page of the notebook in the printer (but not the one with indentations)? I don't need to, and anyway, the notebook is the wrong size - it's smaller than the sheet in the printer.

Last cushion had something inside....what about this one? I give it a quick shake - doesn't feel like it.

Is it possible to pull the thin wire while standing next to the wall (or keeping away from the drawer anyway)? No, because the wire is in the thin gap between the tiles.
If not, is it possible to open the drawer by not standing in front of it? I very gently tried pulling on only one handle of the drawer while standing off to the side, but it resisted enough that I couldn't open it. I need to be standing in front of the drawer because the drawer has two handles... but maybe I can figure out something along these lines with what I have now.
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:02 am

Is there a print button on the printer? or other way for it to start printing? If yes, go for it.

Try to tie the wire to the drawer's handles and to pull it open keeping yourself as much away from it as possible.
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:24 pm

Is there a print button on the printer? or other way for it to start printing? I don't see any buttons on this printer. If yes, go for it.

Try to tie the wire to the drawer's handles and to pull it open keeping yourself as much away from it as possible. That's a good idea.
I wrap the wire around both handles and can get about two or three feet away from the drawer. Wrapping the loose end of the wire around the screwdriver (to use as a handle), I'm able to pull the drawer open.
I see a trapdoor in the ceiling drop open and a heavy fire extinguisher falls, landing heavily on the drawer, cracking the bottom, then bouncing out and landing on the floor next to the drawer.
I take a peek in the drawer. Inside is a pair of thick rubber gloves, the kind electricians use.

I can feel the heat from the fire behind me. Turning around, I notice the bottom-middle section of the whiteboard has a big hole melted through it...
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:44 pm

Time to use that fire wxtinguisher on the fireplace. If possible, unscrew the whiteboard again.

Examine both drawers. Is the other still locked?

Is it possible to reach the toner of the printer?

Using the rubber gloves, try to plug the PC cable in the outlet.
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:56 pm

Time to use that fire extinguisher on the fireplace. If possible, unscrew the whiteboard again. Donning the gloves to try and prevent burns, I unscrew the whiteboard, which falls to the ground revealing an extremely hot fireplace. I quickly blast it with the fire extinguisher, and also spray the whiteboard in case it could catch fire somehow. I spray the fire until it has gone out.
In exhaustion, I drop the fire extinguisher on the whiteboard, which shatters. Oops - I guess the sudden temperature change weakened it. But the fire is out.

Examine both drawers. Is the other still locked? The top drawer, the one I opened, has a cracked floor, but I can still open and close the drawer as I please - which does not open and close the trapdoor in the ceiling; that remains open. The bottom drawer is still locked.

Is it possible to reach the toner of the printer? I can open up the printer and see the ink cartridges in it, but I can't remove them.

Using the rubber gloves, try to plug the PC cable in the outlet. I'm still nervous plugging the exposed cable in, but the gloves protect me from shock. I should be able to turn on the laptop now.
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:51 pm

Turn on the laptop and see what you can do. in particular, se if there is a way for the printer to resume the queue.

Is one of the whiteboard shards suited to retrieve the paper under the armchair?

Also, examine the fireplace (once it cools down).
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:57 pm

Turn on the laptop and see what you can do. in particular, see if there is a way for the printer to resume the queue. I power on the laptop and it immediately boots to a screen asking for a password. Apparently someone has been trying to get in here, as it says:

ATTEMPTS REMAINING: 1

Is one of the whiteboard shards suited to retrieve the paper under the armchair? No, they're far too small. It completely shattered. I've used the chair cushion to sweep them into the corner, out of my way, and my shoes should protect my feet in case I missed any.

Also, examine the fireplace (once it cools down). Mostly burnt logs, although there is one thinner stick off to the side that's about half-burnt (I mean that half of it is burnt and the other is not). I do think I see something glinting in the ashes.
On one of the side walls of the fireplace is a small switch.
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:49 pm

Take the stick and use it to see what's glinting in the ashes. Then use it to retrieve the paper under the armchair.
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:11 pm

Take the stick and use it to see what's glinting in the ashes. Using the stick to move the ashes aside, I see a small key. Then use it to retrieve the paper under the armchair. The stick is long enough to reach the paper, and I pull it towards me. The paper is an index card with the top-left corner torn. Written on it, aside from a charcoal smudge where the stick was touching it, is:

DRIVE (this is first)
PROMISE
BEARER
WEIGHT
CARD
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:22 am

Get the key and try it in the keyholes (there should be two, drawer and metal panel, right?).

Try 01551 on the bottom-right lock of the painting. If it works, try 86073 on the top-left one.
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:48 pm

Get the key and try it in the keyholes (there should be two, drawer and metal panel, right?). It fits in the drawer, which is now unlocked.

Try 01551 on the bottom-right lock of the painting. I try the code and pull the lock. It does not open.
I hear a click, then a splash, then a very faint hissing sound. I suddenly see a pale green gas seep out from the back of the painting. I try to back away, but I've already breathed it in. I start to choke, and collapse.

YOU HAVE DIED
Death Counter: 2

Reset to before trying the code on the bottom-right painting lock.

If it works, try 86073 on the top-left one. Before trying that code, I realize that I'm not completely sure if that code would work - I'm sure it is for the correct lock, but it's the order of the words that's throwing me. If the code were just the order of the words on the card, why write "this is first" beside the first word? There's got to be a way to arrange them.
As I think about this, I flip the card over. There is writing on it that I didn't notice before:

a few words I've found particularly handy for getting out of dangerous situations
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:05 pm

Oh well, I thought the "(this is first)" was your (Balin) annotation, and not actually written on the card....my bad, had to ask!

Let's open the drawer.
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:52 am

Oh well, I thought the "(this is first)" was your (Balin) annotation, and not actually written on the card....my bad, had to ask!

Let's open the drawer. In the drawer is a small flashlight, about the size that would go on a keychain.
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:33 pm

Is it possible to use the sitck, charcoal side, on the notebook to make appear what was written on the missing page? Or some ashes from the fireplace?
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:04 pm

Is it possible to use the stick, charcoal side, on the notebook to make appear what was written on the missing page? By rubbing the charcoal stick on the page, I am able to make some indentations visible - the digits 7491.
Balin

Postby Balin » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:12 am

HINTS:
-The puzzles with five all-caps words (and there are more of them in here) are word puzzles. I suggest going to the archives and looking at Beccaann's "The Power of Words" (both parts) and "Haiku" adventures to get an idea of them.
-Also regarding the puzzles with five all-caps words: they contain concealed hints as to how to solve the puzzles. To solve them, you have to figure out the proper order for the words and (this part I think you've got) translate them into numbers for the painting locks.
-The switch in the fireplace is not trapped.
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:29 pm

I imagined something like that, but I still miss the key.
For now, let's try that switch.
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:42 pm

I imagined something like that, but I still miss the key.
For now, let's try that switch. I flip the switch, and from the open trapdoor in the ceiling (where the fire extinguisher fell), a set of stairs lowers.
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:57 pm

See what's upstairs.
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:47 pm

See what's upstairs. Heading up, my head passes through the open trapdoor and my vision immediately goes dark. This small chamber is not even large enough to fit me, and there is no light leaking in, even from below.
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:03 pm

Use the flashlight and take a look.
Acridian9

Postby Grouffe » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:04 pm

Try to cut out the painting with either the screwdriver or some whiteboard shard. What happens?
Grouffe

Postby Balin » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:28 am

Use the flashlight and take a look. The light reveals a small box in a niche in a wall. I remove the box and bring it downstairs. The box is locked with a four-digit combination.

Try to cut out the painting with either the screwdriver or some whiteboard shard. What happens? I touch the painting with the screwdriver carefully so as not to jostle it, and it feels like the painting is painted on wood, so there is no way to cut it out. Touching it lightly with my hand confirms it.
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:33 am

Try 7491 on the box lock.
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:33 pm

Try 7491 on the box lock. The lock clicks open.

I open the box. Inside the box is a small wrench; wrapped around the handle of the wrench is a piece of paper. I unroll the paper, which reads:

Dear friend, I’ll continue to test your I.Q.;
Very soon, we’ll see how much you really know.
One guess at one lowercase word for the laptop. Your clue
(remember the consequences of a wrong answer):
A confused girl between a pair of the two that
keep their positions when switching from “right” to “left.” Good day.
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:46 pm

Let's see if I got something:
- the two that keep their positions when switching from “right” to “left.” should be m an n
- confused means an anagram
- I need a synonym of girl, scramble it and add an m/n at the beginning and an n/m at the end

How much I'm off?
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:32 pm

Let's see if I got something:
- the two that keep their positions when switching from “right” to “left.” should be m an n I don't understand why "M" and "N," but I like the idea that "the two" are letters.
- confused means an anagram Yes it does, I've done my share of cryptics.
- I need a synonym of girl, scramble it and add an m/n at the beginning and an n/m at the end That sounds right, except I don't see why the two letters should be M and N.

How much I'm off? Seemed pretty close.
Balin

Postby biograd » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:40 pm

I gather that M and N were mentioned because whether the alphabet is written right to left, or left to right, they end up in the middle.

I was thinking that maybe it was referring to letters which look the same when inverted left to right, until I saw that there are FAR more than just two of those (A, H, I, M, O, T,...). Even if you go to lowercase (since a "lowercase word" is specifically mentioned), you still have six (i, l, o, v, w, x).

I was also thinking, since the words "left" and "right" are in quotes, of literally exchanging those words, but then only the T "keeps its position", and even then only if you count "the end" as a position (it's the 4th letter in "left" and the 5th in "right"). No other letters are even in common between the words at all.

Maybe "left" and "right" are referring to position on the page you're holding? But still, there are lots of lines on it, so even if you could fold it in half precisely to measure the exact middle, I'd think it would go through far more than two letters.
biograd

Postby biograd » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:53 pm

I just had an idea--maybe "left" and "right" refer to the sides of the "equations" on the whiteboard? Though even that doesn't make much sense. There is only one whose letter and number is in the "same position" (G is the 7th letter of the alphabet), and C and D are in the same relative position (C comes before D, 2 comes before 3), but they're the 3rd and 4th letters, so it's not really the "same position". Unless if you count starting from zero, but zero isn't assigned to a letter at all...
biograd

Postby WiZ » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:16 pm

Or, perhaps it's a keyboard (as we're dealing with a laptop here).

The only two letters that remain in the same place (on a QWERTY keyboard) when reading a row in either direction are V and G. But there aren't a lot of words that fit, and I can't think of any that are anagrams of a synonym for 'Girl'.
WiZ

Postby Balin » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:35 pm

I gather that M and N were mentioned because whether the alphabet is written right to left, or left to right, they end up in the middle. Yes, but they switch, so they wouldn't "keep their position."

I was thinking that maybe it was referring to letters which look the same when inverted left to right, until I saw that there are FAR more than just two of those (A, H, I, M, O, T,...). Even if you go to lowercase (since a "lowercase word" is specifically mentioned), you still have six (i, l, o, v, w, x). That can't be it, then.

I was also thinking, since the words "left" and "right" are in quotes, of literally exchanging those words, but then only the T "keeps its position", and even then only if you count "the end" as a position (it's the 4th letter in "left" and the 5th in "right"). No other letters are even in common between the words at all. Interesting, but that doesn't seem to lead anywhere.

Maybe "left" and "right" are referring to position on the page you're holding? But still, there are lots of lines on it, so even if you could fold it in half precisely to measure the exact middle, I'd think it would go through far more than two letters. ...Maybe not position, but yes, I should probably think along the lines of "left" and "right" on this page...

I just had an idea--maybe "left" and "right" refer to the sides of the "equations" on the whiteboard? Though even that doesn't make much sense. There is only one whose letter and number is in the "same position" (G is the 7th letter of the alphabet), and C and D are in the same relative position (C comes before D, 2 comes before 3), but they're the 3rd and 4th letters, so it's not really the "same position". Unless if you count starting from zero, but zero isn't assigned to a letter at all... ...No, this seems off. I think I should focus on this paper.

Or, perhaps it's a keyboard (as we're dealing with a laptop here). ...That's actually a really clever idea!

The only two letters that remain in the same place (on a QWERTY keyboard) when reading a row in either direction are V and G. But there aren't a lot of words that fit, and I can't think of any that are anagrams of a synonym for 'Girl'. Yeah, I don't think that's quite it either. But I think I'm getting closer to solving this... thinking "left" and "right" on this paper, and something to do with keyboards...
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:23 am

I can see the qwerty there, at the "right" side of the paper.
If I compare with the "left" side, only the r matches, so....r and r?
Acridian9

Postby WiZ » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:31 am

You are a genius, Acridian!

The left-hand side, of course, reading 'Dvorak'.

If we compare the two layouts, the two letters in common are M and A.

I've been trying a few synonyms, but I haven't found anything for 'lass', 'lassie', 'miss', 'damsel', 'maid' or 'maiden'.
WiZ

Postby Balin » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:38 am

I can see the qwerty there, at the "right" side of the paper. Yes, that must be it!
If I compare with the "left" side, only the r matches, so....r and r? I don't think so, because it says two letters, but...

You are a genius, Acridian!

The left-hand side, of course, reading 'Dvorak'.

If we compare the two layouts, the two letters in common are M and A. Of course, that's got to be it!

I've been trying a few synonyms, but I haven't found anything for 'lass', 'lassie', 'miss', 'damsel', 'maid' or 'maiden'. Thinking those words over, none of those work. But I know it's an M and an A (in some order), then an anagram of a synonym for "girl," then another M and A (in some order), and it has to make a word...
Balin

Postby WiZ » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:55 am

A pox on the inherent ambiguity of the phrase 'A pair of the two'!

However, a fellow forum member has quite unintentionally inspired me. Thanks, GALfisk.

I believe the word you are after is 'Amalgam'. Let's do this, Leeroy Jenkins!
WiZ

Postby Balin » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:06 am

A pox on the inherent ambiguity of the phrase 'A pair of the two'! ...Yeah, that was a pain to try and word clearly.

However, a fellow forum member has quite unintentionally inspired me. Thanks, GALfisk.

I believe the word you are after is 'Amalgam'. Let's do this, Leeroy Jenkins! I type "amalgam" into the password box and press ENTER. The screen goes black... then loads the desktop.

There are three icons on the desktop.
The top one is labeled "Printer" and is shaped like, well, a printer.
The second one is labeled "Self-Destruct" and is shaped like an explosion.
The third one is labeled "El Dungeon Maestro," and is shaped like a small group of trees.
Balin

Postby WiZ » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:17 am

I right-click on each icon in turn.

Actually, maybe just 'Printer' and 'El Dungeon Maestro'.
WiZ

Postby Balin » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:35 am

I right-click on each icon in turn.

Actually, maybe just 'Printer' and 'El Dungeon Maestro'. The laptop's trackpad/mouse only has one button, so I click on these two icons.

First, clicking on "Printer" opens a window that says:

There are 1 items remaining in queue.

Below are buttons labeled "Print" and "Cancel."

For now I close the window and open "El Dungeon Maestro."

The screen goes white - now that the screen is white and not black, I can see that the top-right corner of the screen is cracked - and loads up the title screen for a text game.

EL DUNGEON MAESTRO
"None slayeth like thee!"

New Game
Save Game
Load Game
Exit
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:10 am

I've learnt that there is a Dvorak layout!!!

Click on the "Print" button in the "Printer" window, and see what comes out of the printer.

Then, start a new game!
Acridian9

Postby biograd » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:41 pm

Or maybe it's better to check first if there are any saved games to load?
biograd

Postby Balin » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:27 pm

Click on the "Print" button in the "Printer" window, and see what comes out of the printer. After reloading the "Printer" window, I click "Print" and hear a document making its way through the printer. I head over and retrieve the page.

White House shopping list
priority one: length - start short
priority two: alphabetical

ERECTOR SET
YO-YO
ATARI
ENGINE
OPERATION

The bottom-left corner of the list is torn.

Then, start a new game! I click the "New Game" option and an error message appears:

ERROR
Storage insufficient for New Game

I close the error message and the screen returns to the main menu.

Or maybe it's better to check first if there are any saved games to load? There is one. I load it and the screen loads:

Location and Time: Unknown

Ye pass thru the FOREST.

Ye find yeself in yon CLEARING. On a STUMP in the center of yon clearing is a FLASK.

From yon trees emerge five CREATURES, ready to attack!

Ye are confronted by:
a MOUSE
a CENTAUR
the EASTER BUNNY
PAC-MAN
and ALAN RICKMAN

What wouldst thou deau?
Balin

Postby biograd » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:15 pm

No MANTICORE or EROTIC MAN? Disappointing :D

I don't see any pairs of anagrams there, although I somehow suspect that all the creatures except one are made from the letters in the words above--there are two U's, one P, one K, etc. I suspect the one out is the Easter Bunny because I don't see a Y above, but I'll have to try writing out all the letters to see for sure...
biograd

Postby Balin » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:49 pm

No MANTICORE or EROTIC MAN? Disappointing :D Now I wish I had included that...

I don't see any pairs of anagrams there, although I somehow suspect that all the creatures except one are made from the letters in the words above--there are two U's, one P, one K, etc. I suspect the one out is the Easter Bunny because I don't see a Y above, but I'll have to try writing out all the letters to see for sure... I don't know if the clue is anagrams here. I've already figured out that each word in the list of five has to be translated into numbers via the whiteboard (and I do think there was a Y on the whiteboard), then put in the correct order... but what that order is I can't say...

Actually, since the four "lock puzzles" have been found, now is a good time to recap. I'll do that in the next comment.
Balin

Postby Balin » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:03 pm

RECAP

Ye find yeself in yon trapped room.

PUZZLES SOLVED:
Desk drawers opened, laptop powered on, lockbox found in ceiling and opened, fire extinguished, printer used

PUZZLES YET TO BE SOLVED:
Four painting locks, bomb still active, key buzzing in exit door, circuit breaker locked

INVENTORY:
Pocket Internet, notebook, screwdriver, length of wire, fire extinguisher, rubber gloves, burnt stick, small key, lockbox, keychain flashlight, wrench, index card with lock puzzle, paper with password clue, paper with lock puzzle.

Your next step is to solve the four puzzles for the painting locks.
Each puzzle includes a list of five words. It has already been figured out that you have to figure out the correct order of the words, translate them into numbers using the whiteboard, then input that five-digit combination into the correct lock (determined by the torn or otherwise broken corner of that puzzle).

Here are the four puzzles, in order of discovery.

TORN CORNER: Bottom-right

Marvel at the guests invited to the first annual
PROBLEM SOLVERS CONFERENCE
in beautiful Washington, D.C.!

Instructions for the staff:
-Be sure to seat each man as he arrives earliest.
-I know several of you have been nam-edropping the identities of several of the guests among yourselves. DO NOT GOSSIP!

Guests:
mr BETA
mr NEAT
mr PRESIDE
mr PERUSE
mr NOIRE

TORN CORNER: Top-left

a few words I've found particularly handy for getting out of dangerous situations

DRIVE (this is first)
PROMISE
BEARER
WEIGHT
CARD

TORN CORNER: Bottom-left

ERECTOR SET
YO-YO
ATARI
ENGINE
OPERATION

TORN CORNER: Top-right (cracked screen)

Location and Time: Unknown

Ye pass thru the FOREST.

Ye find yeself in yon CLEARING. On a STUMP in the center of yon clearing is a FLASK.

From yon trees emerge five CREATURES, ready to attack!

Ye are confronted by:
a MOUSE
a CENTAUR
the EASTER BUNNY
PAC-MAN
and ALAN RICKMAN

What wouldst thou deau?

And thus, the solving.
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:42 pm

The length/alphabetical order should give

ATARI
YO-YO
ENGINE
OPERATION
ERECTOR SET

and the number conversion 04752. This should open the bottom-left corner lock.

Is the association
CLEARING-->PAC-MAN
STUMP-->EASTER BUNNY
FLASK-->ALAN RICKMAN
taking me anywhere?
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:14 am

The length/alphabetical order should give

ATARI
YO-YO
ENGINE
OPERATION
ERECTOR SET

and the number conversion 04752. This should open the bottom-left corner lock.

I try the code and pull the lock. It does not open.
I hear a click, then a splash, then a very faint hissing sound. I suddenly see a pale green gas seep out from the back of the painting. I try to back away, but I've already breathed it in. I start to choke, and collapse.

YOU HAVE DIED
Death Counter: 3

Reset to before trying the code on the bottom-left painting lock.

Is the association
CLEARING-->PAC-MAN
STUMP-->EASTER BUNNY
FLASK-->ALAN RICKMAN
taking me anywhere? I don't see how that would lead me towards any solution...

You can ignore the CLEARING, STUMP, and FLASK. Those are just there for setting.
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:58 pm

Wrong order or wrong conversion?

Relvant that "nam-edropping" has the - in the wrong place?
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:36 pm

Wrong order or wrong conversion? Wrong order; the conversion is correct

Relvant that "nam-edropping" has the - in the wrong place? Yes, absolutely
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:15 pm

Was working on that since the beginning, and already tried to drop an e, but didn't get the right idea until now.....I've just watched Spiderman II on TV!!

So, we have BETA NEAT PRESIDE PERUSE NOIRE. Dropping an "e" and adding "nam" we get the anagrams of:

Batman, Antman, Spiderman, Superman, Ironman

Now, the "arrives earliest" hint makes me think that the order is given by their first appearance (check Wikipedia for this): 1939. Jan 1962, August 1962, 1938, 1963. So,
PERUSE BETA NEAT PRESIDE NOIRE --->50151 should be the number for the bottom-right lock!

(If not that, we could try the alphabetical order: NEAT BETA NOIRE PRESIDE PERUSE -->10155)
Acridian9

Postby Acridian9 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:05 pm

Another "handy" idea:
Thumb DRIVE (this is first)
Index CARD
Middle WEIGHT
Ring BEARER
Pinky PROMISE

83706 for the top-left lock.
Acridian9

Postby Acridian9 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:59 pm

Are rainbow colors relevant for the 5 words in the PC game?
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:31 am

Was working on that since the beginning, and already tried to drop an e, but didn't get the right idea until now.....I've just watched Spiderman II on TV!!

So, we have BETA NEAT PRESIDE PERUSE NOIRE. Dropping an "e" and adding "nam" we get the anagrams of:

Batman, Antman, Spiderman, Superman, Ironman

Now, the "arrives earliest" hint makes me think that the order is given by their first appearance (check Wikipedia for this): 1939. Jan 1962, August 1962, 1938, 1963. So,
PERUSE BETA NEAT PRESIDE NOIRE --->50151 should be the number for the bottom-right lock! I try that code and the lock clicks open - that's one down!

(If not that, we could try the alphabetical order: NEAT BETA NOIRE PRESIDE PERUSE -->10155) No need - you've got it open! (By the way, the opening paragraph on that page started with "Marvel" and ended with "DC" - that was the other hint.)

Another "handy" idea:
Thumb DRIVE (this is first)
Index CARD
Middle WEIGHT
Ring BEARER
Pinky PROMISE

83706 for the top-left lock. Make that two down!

Are rainbow colors relevant for the 5 words in the PC game? No, colors have nothing to do with that puzzle.
Balin

Postby Balin » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:22 pm

HINTS:

For the "El Dungeon Maestro" puzzle: the phrase "Location and Time: Unknown"

For the printer page puzzle: the phrase "White House shopping list"
Balin

Postby Balin » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:51 pm

FURTHER HINTS:
-For "El Dungeon Maestro," all locations are in the United States.
-For the printer page, note that all toys begin with a vowel.
Balin

Postby biograd » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:18 am

I was trying to use the "White House" part in the toy list. There are a number of rooms in the White House that also have names with colors, and I was wondering if it had anything to do with that. Or even rooms that don't have colors in the names. But that didn't get me anywhere.

I'm not sure what "locations" you are talking about in regards to the creatures in the text game. When you said "time and place", I was thinking maybe of the times in history where the different creatures/characters were first described (like centaurs come from ancient mythology, the Easter Bunny must be considerably older than Pac-Man but much more recent than centaurs, etc. But this has nothing to do with locations.
biograd

Postby Balin » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:37 pm

I was trying to use the "White House" part in the toy list. There are a number of rooms in the White House that also have names with colors, and I was wondering if it had anything to do with that. Or even rooms that don't have colors in the names. But that didn't get me anywhere. The actual White House has nothing to do with the puzzle.

I'm not sure what "locations" you are talking about in regards to the creatures in the text game. When you said "time and place", I was thinking maybe of the times in history where the different creatures/characters were first described (like centaurs come from ancient mythology, the Easter Bunny must be considerably older than Pac-Man but much more recent than centaurs, etc. But this has nothing to do with locations. This is all off the mark as well. For that matter, you don't need to think of the creatures as actual creatures - everything in both of these puzzles has to do with the words.
Balin

Postby Enjay » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:44 pm

Jumping in here...I am thinking along the line of US time zones for the clearing puzzle?

a MOUSE Mountain time
a CENTAUR Central time
the EASTER BUNNY Eastern time
PAC-MAN Pacific time
and ALAN RICKMAN Alaska time

So if we deal with them with the current earliest time first...
ALAN RICKMAN
PAC-MAN
MOUSE
CENTAUR
EASTER BUNNY

I'm not 100% clear on how we get the number values, is it just the sum of the letter values? Try 1914636?
Enjay

Postby biograd » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:30 pm

No, it's just the first letter. The locks only take five digits, so the sum definitely won't work.

EDIT: Actually I realize that while it was the first letter for the "man" puzzle, for the "hand" puzzle it was obviously something else I don't get.
biograd

Postby biograd » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:00 pm

Actually, I'm pretty sure I get it now. The lines in the "program" with the letter conversions are evaluated in order, and are meant to say "is this letter in the word at all?". So rather than moving forward through the word, you must move forward through the options. The first one to appear in the word gives the number--if you get to the end of the list (again, not the word) without any of the letters being present, then it's zero.

So for ALAN RICKMAN, you first ask "is there a K anywhere?". Since there is, the value is 9 and you stop, even though there's also a M, C, and N, and even though two of those first appear earlier in the word.

Doing this, you get 96624.
biograd

Postby Acridian9 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:32 pm

I confirm biogad conversion algorithm is correct.
But....I'd order them the other way round, east to west: 42669
Acridian9

Postby Enjay » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:02 pm

Thanks Biograd - in that case ignore my code suggestion Balin, no point wasting a death!
Enjay

Postby Balin » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:38 am

Jumping in here...I am thinking along the line of US time zones for the clearing puzzle?

a MOUSE Mountain time
a CENTAUR Central time
the EASTER BUNNY Eastern time
PAC-MAN Pacific time
and ALAN RICKMAN Alaska time

So if we deal with them with the current earliest time first...
ALAN RICKMAN
PAC-MAN
MOUSE
CENTAUR
EASTER BUNNY

Actually, I'm pretty sure I get it now. The lines in the "program" with the letter conversions are evaluated in order, and are meant to say "is this letter in the word at all?". So rather than moving forward through the word, you must move forward through the options. The first one to appear in the word gives the number--if you get to the end of the list (again, not the word) without any of the letters being present, then it's zero.

So for ALAN RICKMAN, you first ask "is there a K anywhere?". Since there is, the value is 9 and you stop, even though there's also a M, C, and N, and even though two of those first appear earlier in the word.

Doing this, you get 96624.

I try this code in the top-right lock and it clicks open. Only one to go...
Balin

Postby Balin » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:53 pm

HINT: For the shopping list puzzle, you need no more than the first three letters of each word (or phrase) on the list.
Balin

Postby Enjay » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:38 pm

If these kinds of questions aren't in the spirit of the puzzle then please don't answer them...but I'm not sure where to go next!

So could the puzzle equally have been written like this?:

ERE
YOY
ATA
ENG
OPE

You've said they all start with vowels, but y isn't a vowel, and isn't functioning as one in "yo-yo" as far as my linguistics knowledge tells me...is the length of the vowels relevant?
Enjay

Postby Balin » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:59 pm

If these kinds of questions aren't in the spirit of the puzzle then please don't answer them...but I'm not sure where to go next!

So could the puzzle equally have been written like this?:

ERE
YOY
ATA
ENG
OPE

Yes, you could look at the puzzle like this.

You've said they all start with vowels, but y isn't a vowel, and isn't functioning as one in "yo-yo" as far as my linguistics knowledge tells me... It isn't... but that statement is still correct in a relevant way...
is the length of the vowels relevant? No.
Balin

Postby Balin » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:30 pm

HINT: You only even need three letters for one of them. For two, you need two letters; for two, you only need one.
Balin

Postby kalira » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:51 pm

Would attempting to connect the shopping list words to various USican presidents be of any help to us? Based on your response to Enjay about how the puzzle could have been reworded, it is the letters of the listed words that are important rather than any information about the physical objects themselves, correct?
kalira

Postby Balin » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:20 pm

Would attempting to connect the shopping list words to various USican presidents be of any help to us? No, sorry.

Based on your response to Enjay about how the puzzle could have been reworded, it is the letters of the listed words that are important rather than any information about the physical objects themselves, correct? That's right.

I'm going to give one more HINT because this one puzzle is taking so long: Only capital letters on the paper are relevant to the actual puzzle.
Balin

Postby kalira » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:08 pm

Hark, a light dawns!

WHERE
WHY
WHAT
WHEN
WHO

By length first and alphabetically second, that would give us

WHO
WHY
WHAT
WHEN
WHERE

which with the key would yield 04010. Try that in our last lock.
kalira

Postby Balin » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:30 pm

Hark, a light dawns!

WHERE
WHY
WHAT
WHEN
WHO

By length first and alphabetically second, that would give us

WHO
WHY
WHAT
WHEN
WHERE
This is all correct!

which with the key would yield 04010. Try that in our last lock. Gas.

YOU HAVE DIED
Death counter: 4

Reset to before trying that code.
Balin

Postby biograd » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:02 pm

...but it's the words on the card, not the words used to determine the order. So it should have been 14072.
biograd

Postby Acridian9 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:41 pm

Actually, 54072
Acridian9

Postby biograd » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:56 pm

Good catch Acridian!
biograd

Postby Balin » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:07 am

...but it's the words on the card, not the words used to determine the order. So it should have been ...54072
I input this code and the last lock on the painting clicks open.

With the four locks open, the painting starts to slip off the wall; it's heavy, but I carefully ease it away. I notice that each lock was attached to a metal tooth-like clamp at the back of the painting - unlocking each lock loosened its clamp - and those clamps were gripping an index card in an alcove in the wall behind the painting. I lean the painting against the wall and take a look at the alcove.

In the alcove are two flasks, one inverted above the other. Between the two mouths is the index card. The top flask contains some yellow fluid; the bottom liquid is green.
Balin

Postby biograd » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:26 am

How full are the flasks? If you were to grab both flasks and tip the whole thing sideways, could you then tip each flask AWAY from the index card such that you wouldn't spill any of either liquid? If that wouldn't work, could you grab the index card and the top flask, lifting them together off of the bottom flask, and then tip the two of them upside down such that the yellow fluid stays in the top flask and the index card can then be lifted off?
biograd

Postby Balin » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:51 pm

How full are the flasks? About 90% full.
If you were to grab both flasks and tip the whole thing sideways, could you then tip each flask AWAY from the index card such that you wouldn't spill any of either liquid? If that wouldn't work, could you grab the index card and the top flask, lifting them together off of the bottom flask, and then tip the two of them upside down such that the yellow fluid stays in the top flask and the index card can then be lifted off? Neither of these would work - the top flask is jammed against the ceiling of the alcove, so I don't think I can move it at all.
Balin

Postby biograd » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:05 pm

Since it seems like we can't fully disarm this thing for now, at least we should be able to get the card out to see if there is anything written on the bottom.

Slide one of the cards with the word lists in between the card in the alcove and the top flask. Then you can remove the other card without letting the fluid leak out.
biograd

Postby Balin » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:41 pm

Since it seems like we can't fully disarm this thing for now, at least we should be able to get the card out to see if there is anything written on the bottom.

Slide one of the cards with the word lists in between the card in the alcove and the top flask. Then you can remove the other card without letting the fluid leak out. I'm able to wiggle the index card from under the chair between the card and the top flask, and carefully slip the other card out. It reads:

KL-91 BOMB ASSEMBLY

The default code to open the device is 444447.

This device is activated by a motion-sensitive mercury switch, which can be attached to (or detached from) the electric wires with an ordinary wrench. The electric wires should be clamped into detonators which are already plugged into the explosive.

When the bomb is tilted, the mercury will allow the electric charge to pass through the wires and into the detonators, which will cause the explosion.
Balin

Postby biograd » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:54 pm

Input the code on the bomb. Assuming it opens, use the wrench you got way back at the beginning to unscrew the mercury switch from its contacts.
biograd

Postby Balin » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:51 pm

Input the code on the bomb. I do so and the doors slide open.
Assuming it opens, use the wrench you got way back at the beginning to unscrew the mercury switch from its contacts. (I don't think it was that long ago I actually found the wrench, but it certainly feels that way.)
Anyway, I carefully unbolt the switch until the wires attached to it fall away. The switch can no longer set off the bomb.
Balin

Postby biograd » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:35 pm

Can you then lift the box off of whatever is underneath it?
biograd

Postby Balin » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:44 pm

Can you then lift the box off of whatever is underneath it? It's heavy, but I lift the bomb up a few inches and move it back a little. As I'd figured, unbolting the mercury switch defused the bomb.

On the floor where the bomb had been is a razor blade and a sheet of paper. The paper reads:

V-

I set up those two traps on the front door like you asked, both of them rigged up to the key. The trapdoor is mechanical, so it won't be affected if the power goes out like the spikes trap will.

-R
Balin

Postby biograd » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:34 pm

Have you tried all keys in your possession on the circuit breaker box? Is there anything notable about one of the floor tiles in front of the exit door (such that it looks like it could fall through)? How big is the painting--is it big enough to cover a hole in the floor that you could otherwise fall through?
biograd

Postby Balin » Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:50 am

Have you tried all keys in your possession on the circuit breaker box? I try them now. None fit the lock.
Is there anything notable about one of the floor tiles in front of the exit door (such that it looks like it could fall through)? Now that I'm taking a closer look, yes; the tile in front of the door - the one tile that makes up the alcove - has a second small gap about two inches in from each side of the tile. That must be the trapdoor.
How big is the painting--is it big enough to cover a hole in the floor that you could otherwise fall through? I'd say it's about 4 feet by 2 feet, which would be just enough to fit in the alcove and cover the assumed trapdoor.
Balin

Postby Enjay » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:21 pm

Is there any chance of a recap on where we are and what we've got Balin? I'd like to join in but a bit lost on what has and hasn't been used etc!
Enjay

Postby Balin » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:33 pm

Is there any chance of a recap on where we are and what we've got Balin? I'd like to join in but a bit lost on what has and hasn't been used etc! Of course!

RECAP:

"This room is completely white, with the ceiling, walls, and floor all covered in large tiles, maybe two feet by two feet square."
A set of stairs has lowered from the ceiling to an open trapdoor above the desk. Through that trapdoor is a very small attic.

"In front of me I see a small alcove, about one tile square, with a wooden door at its back. There is a large, glowing emergency exit sign above the door."
The key is in the lock in the door, but it makes a buzzing sound as you approach. You have just found a piece of paper detailing the traps in the door. There is a hidden trapdoor in the tile in the alcove, but it has not been activated.

"On the wall to my left is a desk with two drawers, one above the other. There is an open laptop computer on the desk, and a large metal box under it."
Both drawers have been opened and are empty. The top drawer has a cracked bottom.
The laptop is on. The screen displays three icons: "Printer," "Self-Destruct," and "El Dungeon Maestro." The first allowed us to print a page with a puzzle, the second has not been clicked, and the third opened an adventure game that was actually a puzzle.
The laptop cord plugs in under the desk. The actual plug has a few wires exposed.
The metal box is a bomb, triggered by a mercury switch which would send a charge down electric wires into detonators stuck into a large block of plastic explosive. There is one detonator stuck in the explosive that does not have a wire attached. You have just defused the bomb by unbolting the connection between the mercury switch and the electric wires.

"On the wall to my right is a whiteboard. Interesting - I'd have expected it to be about halfway up the wall, but the bottom is level with the floor."
The whiteboard has been removed from the wall and has shattered. Behind the whiteboard was a fireplace. The fire has been put out. There is a small switch in the fireplace which lowered the stairs to the attic.

"In the corner directly to my right is a small table with what I believe is a printer on it."
The printer is plugged into an outlet under the table. It is out of paper.
Above this table is a small locked circuit box.

"On the same wall as the armchair, but to my left, is a large painting of some sort. I can't read it while I'm sitting down."
The painting, which is about 4 feet by 2 feet and is painted on a heavy wood, was attached to the wall by four locks. Those locks have been removed and the painting is now resting against the wall.
Behind the painting is an alcove with two flasks full of liquid. One is upside-down on top of the other, their mouths separated by an index card. (In-character, you don't know this, but out of character, you know that if the two fluids mix, they create a poisonous gas.)
The armchair is very comfortable.

INVENTORY (and this includes items that have been used already but are not lost, as items may have more than one use):

Pocket Internet (this was just an in-character excuse to allow you all to use Google to help with puzzles)
notebook
screwdriver
length of wire
fire extinguisher (empty)
rubber gloves
burnt stick
small key (fits in bottom drawer)
lockbox (open)
keychain flashlight (has power)
wrench
paper with password clue
paper with lock puzzle
index card explaining bomb
paper explaining door traps
razor blade
Balin

Postby biograd » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:21 pm

So it seems we've looked everywhere except in the circuit breaker box and beyond the exit door. It seems that one of the traps can be avoided by using the painting as a platform, while the other is said to be disarmed if there is no power. There's also the buzzing, but I'm guessing that may well not be a third trap, rather a warning that a trap is armed to discourage anyone from prematurely turning the key. We didn't know for sure there were traps hooked up to that key until very recently--though it would of course have been a very easy puzzle if there weren't!

So it seems before we can turn the key to get out, we need to shut the power off, which probably entails getting into the circuit breaker box. The trouble is, we don't have a key for it, and it seems we have looked everywhere one might be.
biograd

Postby Balin » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:02 pm

So it seems we've looked everywhere except in the circuit breaker box and beyond the exit door. Right.
It seems that one of the traps can be avoided by using the painting as a platform, while the other is said to be disarmed if there is no power. Also right.
There's also the buzzing, but I'm guessing that may well not be a third trap, rather a warning that a trap is armed to discourage anyone from prematurely turning the key. This is also correct - inspired by the laser grid in the doorway in "MuseLock."
We didn't know for sure there were traps hooked up to that key until very recently--though it would of course have been a very easy puzzle if there weren't! =D

So it seems before we can turn the key to get out, we need to shut the power off, which probably entails getting into the circuit breaker box. The trouble is, we don't have a key for it, and it seems we have looked everywhere one might be. You have the correct idea, but I'll save you a step - there is no key to the box. Don't look to open it.
Balin

Postby Enjay » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:16 pm

Is the circuit box fixed to the wall?The table? Do you think you would be able to break it by force - maybe hit it with the fire extinguisher?

Are there wires coming out of the circuit box? If so, can you cut them with the razor blade? (Wear rubber gloves as you do this to avoid an electric shock...)
Enjay

Postby Balin » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:02 pm

Is the circuit box fixed to the wall? To the wall. The table?
Do you think you would be able to break it by force - maybe hit it with the fire extinguisher? Depends on the force... the box has a metal door with a thick glass window, but I don't think blunt force would do it. But I'll try to give it a whack... and the fire extinguisher just bounced off. Sorry.

Are there wires coming out of the circuit box? If so, can you cut them with the razor blade? (Wear rubber gloves as you do this to avoid an electric shock...) Unfortunately there are no wires coming out of the circuit box. But I did just pick up the razor blade, so there should something I can cut...
Balin

Postby biograd » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:20 pm

Come to think of it (I somehow got onto lock picking videos on Youtube a few weeks ago), I believe that many lock pickers use a thin, bladed thing like a screwdriver, as well as a narrow piece of metal like a razor blade (I believe it's called a shim). The screwdriver is used to manipulate the pins in the lock, while the thin piece of metal is used as a prying tool to apply pressure so once the pins momentarily are freed, they can't re-lock. If it's only a circuit breaker box, the lock is probably very cheap so this might work.
biograd

Postby Balin » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:23 pm

Come to think of it (I somehow got onto lock picking videos on Youtube a few weeks ago), I believe that many lock pickers use a thin, bladed thing like a screwdriver, as well as a narrow piece of metal like a razor blade (I believe it's called a shim). The screwdriver is used to manipulate the pins in the lock, while the thin piece of metal is used as a prying tool to apply pressure so once the pins momentarily are freed, they can't re-lock. If it's only a circuit breaker box, the lock is probably very cheap so this might work. The blade of the screwdriver is too large to fit in the lock, as is the razor blade.
Balin

Postby Enjay » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:41 pm

Inspect the armchair more closely - could there be anything inside? Shame to damage such a comfortable chair, but use the razor to cut the seams and check there is nothing hidden inside.

Can you use the wire to pick the circuit breaker lock?

What can you see through the window in the door of the circuit breaker?
Enjay

Postby biograd » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:49 pm

Maybe you can short-circuit the power cord for the laptop with the blade, tripping one of the circuit breakers (of course using the gloves to not shock yourself)?

In any case, I would put the flashlight in your pocket before doing anything that might turn off the power irreversibly. I believe that by law emergency exit signs must have their own self-contained source of backup power. On the other hand, your average meth lab probably has fewer code violations than this room, and I wouldn't trust it. You clearly don't want to be finding your way around in the pitch dark.
biograd

Postby Balin » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:23 pm

Inspect the armchair more closely - could there be anything inside? Shame to damage such a comfortable chair, but use the razor to cut the seams and check there is nothing hidden inside. I carefully cut the seams and feel around. Nothing useful.

Can you use the wire to pick the circuit breaker lock? The wire isn't thick enough, and I'm not good at picking locks anyway.

What can you see through the window in the door of the circuit breaker? A fuse or two, and electric circuitry. I can't read circuits though.

Maybe you can short-circuit the power cord for the laptop with the blade, tripping one of the circuit breakers (of course using the gloves to not shock yourself)? I don't want to cut the power cord and risk accidentally cutting it in two... but the laptop's power cord does have exposed wires. Maybe there's something in that?

In any case, I would put the flashlight in your pocket before doing anything that might turn off the power irreversibly. I believe that by law emergency exit signs must have their own self-contained source of backup power. On the other hand, your average meth lab probably has fewer code violations than this room, and I wouldn't trust it. You clearly don't want to be finding your way around in the pitch dark. I've made sure the flashlight is pocketed, and I checked - it still works.
Balin

Postby biograd » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:13 am

I figured you'd already used the laptop and it's not good for anything anymore, so you wouldn't care about the power cord being cut. Could you pull the plug a bit out of the wall and short the prongs with either the razor blade or the screwdriver? Or maybe use the small piece of wire you have (possibly stripping any insulation off with the razor if there's any on there), either on the prongs or the exposed wires of the cord?
biograd

Postby Balin » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:59 am

I figured you'd already used the laptop and it's not good for anything anymore, so you wouldn't care about the power cord being cut. You are right in that you will not need to use the laptop again. But...
Could you pull the plug a bit out of the wall and short the prongs with either the razor blade or the screwdriver? I try this with the blade - and I am wearing the rubber gloves - doesn't do anything.
Or maybe use the small piece of wire you have (possibly stripping any insulation off with the razor if there's any on there), either on the prongs or the exposed wires of the cord? Actually, the wire I have is a few feet long. I would be able to attach it to the exposed wire from the power cord, but I don't see what it could do over here...
Balin

Postby biograd » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:10 am

It's amazing this seems so hard. I'm reminded of a story from when I was in elementary school, like 2nd or 3rd grade. We were on an overnight field trip at an outdoor education center, and there was an activity that was supposed to teach us about evolution using bird beaks. There was an assortment of "roughly beak-ish" things to choose from--small spoons, clothespins, tweezers, etc.--and a variety of kinds of "food"--beans, beads, shirt buttons, etc. The point was that each beak design was better for grabbing some foods than for others. One kid, who chose the (metal) tweezers, decided for some odd reason that his bird's diet should include electrical sockets, so he walked over to one and stuck the prongs into the two slots. A brilliant shower of sparks issued forth from the outlet as the circuit was completed. I don't know if that beak "ate" enough current to trip the breaker, but it may have. The kid was fine, likely at least in part because the circuit didn't go through any part of him, but I think you could safely say that natural selection would have eliminated that species of bird in short order!

If it only took a second for that kid, it can't be that hard for us, with multiple metallic objects at our disposal, including a short length of wire, a screwdriver, and a razor blade. I was thinking of just winding the wire around the cord where it's torn so it touches both wires inside, but if that doesn't work, it seems we need something grounded to attach it to. The only thing that could be grounded in this room seems like the cover of the electrical box itself.
biograd

Postby Balin » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:27 am

If it only took a second for that kid, it can't be that hard for us, with multiple metallic objects at our disposal, including a short length of wire, a screwdriver, and a razor blade. I was thinking of just winding the wire around the cord where it's torn so it touches both wires inside, but if that doesn't work, it seems we need something grounded to attach it to. The only thing that could be grounded in this room seems like the cover of the electrical box itself.

Thanks for the story, Biograd. I'm going to retcon that last answer - let's say touching the blade across the prongs produces sparks but doesn't cut the power to the room.

I will give a HINT as to my intended solution: take a closer look at the recap's description of the bomb.
Balin

Postby biograd » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:22 am

I would never have thought to bring a live wire anywhere near the bomb! And I still don't see what that would accomplish. The box IS metal, but I don't see how (even assuming it were safe) electrifying that would help turn the circuit breaker(s) off. There's also a detonator with no wire, but given that I assumed it was completely attached to the bomb, I didn't think of doing anything else with it--nor again could I imagine what you would do with it.
biograd

Postby Balin » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:05 pm

I would never have thought to bring a live wire anywhere near the bomb! And I still don't see what that would accomplish. And that is not what you need to do.
The box IS metal, but I don't see how (even assuming it were safe) electrifying that would help turn the circuit breaker(s) off. Good, because you don't have to do that.
There's also a detonator with no wire, but given that I assumed it was completely attached to the bomb, I didn't think of doing anything else with it--nor again could I imagine what you would do with it. It's odd, but that detonator stands out as an odd object - all the other detonators are plugged into the actual explosive, clustered fairly close together, and have wires trailing out. This one is separate from the others and does not have a wire attached.
Balin

Postby biograd » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:06 pm

Well I suppose that if you could remove the extra detonator from the bomb and find a way to attach it to the cover of the circuit breaker box, then activating it could break the glass. Though I can't see how you would mount it there, even assuming you can unscrew it from the bomb.
biograd

Postby Balin » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:01 pm

Well I suppose that if you could remove the extra detonator from the bomb and find a way to attach it to the cover of the circuit breaker box, then activating it could break the glass. Yes, that would work. Though I can't see how you would mount it there, even assuming you can unscrew it from the bomb. Well, I don't think I could get the detonator out without removing a chunk of the plastic explosive, which feels a bit sticky...
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:42 pm

Can you use the razor blade to cut a chunk of the plastic explosive?
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:23 am

Can you use the razor blade to cut a chunk of the plastic explosive? Yes. I cut out the chunk around the extra detonator, so I have that too.
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:00 am

So, what you're suggesting to do is make a small bomb? then, place the chunk of plastic explosive on the glass, insert the detonator in it, attach the wire to the detonator, then connect the wire with the laptop's power cord exposed ones. Are we dead??
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:27 am

So, what you're suggesting to do is make a small bomb? It seems the only way to break open the circuit box. then, place the chunk of plastic explosive on the glass, insert the detonator in it, The detonator is already stuck in the explosive attach the wire to the detonator, Done, then connect the wire with the laptop's power cord exposed ones. Are we dead?? Wearing the electrician's gloves, I unplug the laptop's power cord, bring it over to the small table, attack the wire to the exposed wire in the cord, then plug the cord in below the printer.

I hear the blast above me and the room goes dark.

For a moment I worry I'm dead, but I can see the exit sign glowing... so it must have worked. The explosion must have destroyed the breaker.
Balin

Postby biograd » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:08 am

Using the flashlight, find the painting and place it on the floor in the alcove. Then, step on it and turn the key in the exit door.
biograd

Postby Balin » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:04 pm

Using the flashlight, find the painting and place it on the floor in the alcove. The painting was where I'd left it against the wall; I place it so it covers the alcove floor. Then, step on it and turn the key in the exit door. I hear a click below me as the trap door opens, but the painting keeps me from falling through. I push open the door.

****SPOILER****

It's dark outside, and the small flashlight doesn't provide much light. But I feel gravel below my feet, so I would guess I am on some path.

I follow the path until the flashlight picks up a large metal object - a car. My car. How did it get here? I certainly didn't drive it, so...

I approach the driver's door and pull the handle. It's unlocked, but when I enter the car, I smell that sweet smell once again, and there's nothing I can do but pass out...

TO BE CONCLUDED

Well done everyone! And my apologies to biograd for not thinking about the possibility of shorting out the circuit breaker with, y'know, electricity.

The third part will come out sometime next year. Thanks for playing!
Balin

Re: [Balin] Some luck (*ESCAPED*)

Postby Acridian9 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:33 pm

Thanks Balin....looking forward to the next one!!
Acridian9

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles