[peter365] Country Feedback

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[peter365] Country Feedback

Postby peter365 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:08 pm

Hi there lateral lads and lassies.

I'm possessed (or so I'm told) with a rather pleasant country Ulster brogue which still amuses my Dublin born daughters . It does have it's drawbacks though particularly when communicating with the aforementioned offspring. A recent trip to a shop with the youngest had to be abandoned because of my Ulster upbringing and way of speaking. She had the cheek to blame me.

Can you guess what happened?
peter365

Re: [peter365] Country Feedback

Postby Balin » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:38 pm

Did you say a word or phrase which someone in the shop mistook for another word or phrase?
Is it relevant what the shop sells? Does it sell any type of food or drink?
Did you say something about the shop? About what the shop sells? About someone in the shop? About your daughter? About yourself?
Balin

Postby peter365 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:51 pm

Balin

Did you say a word or phrase which someone in the shop mistook for another word or phrase? No
Is it relevant what the shop sells? It's a local small supermarket so they sell a bit of everything, the thing I was hoping to buy is relevant Does it sell any type of food or drink? It does but not relevantly so
Did you say something about the shop? No About what the shop sells? Yope , i said something about what I was intending to buy but not in the context of the shop selling it if that makes sense About someone in the shop? No About your daughter? No but i said something to her About yourself? No
peter365

Postby Balin » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:52 pm

So you weren't buying food or drink, right? Were you buying something related to eating or drinking? Something for the kitchen? The dining room?
Something made of metal? Glass? Paper? Plastic? Wood? Rubber?
Balin

Postby peter365 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:46 am

Balin

So you weren't buying food or drink, right? Right Were you buying something related to eating or drinking? Something for the kitchen? The dining room? No to all
Something made of metal? Yes Glass? Paper? Plastic? Wood? Rubber? No to rest.

To save this descending into 20 questions , I was buying batteries.
peter365

Postby Balin » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:02 pm

Is the brand of battery relevant? The size of battery?
Is it relevant what the batteries were to be used for?
Is there a relevant slang term for "battery"?
Balin

Postby peter365 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:33 pm

Balin

Is the brand of battery relevant? No The size of battery? Yes
Is it relevant what the batteries were to be used for? Not really and in truth I can't quite remember
Is there a relevant slang term for "battery"? If there is one I'm unaware of it.

I'm reminded of a brilliant gag from my favourite living comedian the incomparable Steven Wright, works best if you read this in Wright's deadpan Boston drone

"I remember going to my granddad's wake when I was a little boy and seeing him in lying in his coffin and I started to think about my flashlight and the batteries in my flashlight and I thought maybe he's not dead maybe he's just in the wrong way."
peter365

Postby Balin » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:51 pm

"I stayed up last night playing poker with tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died."

Size: AAA? AA? A? C? D? Larger?
Balin

Postby WiZ » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:34 pm

Did you make an inadvertent double entendre? Is it to do with syllables/phonetic sounds? Vowels?

My (Irish) Boss once called me in for a meeting to discuss the 'atris' and asked if I had studied the 'atris' carefully. I assured him that I knew the 'atris' backwards, and would relish the chance to wax lyrical about them.

I turn up to the meeting, and am grilled on the horde of graphs, tables, and policies that had been printed out on two dozen A3 sheets of paper and stuck to our visual management wall.

Fortunately, I had indeed read them.
WiZ

Postby peter365 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:53 am

Balin

"I stayed up last night playing poker with tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died." :lol: One of his best

Size: AAA? AA? A? C? D? Larger? Pretty sure it was AAA
peter365

Postby peter365 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:02 am

Did you make an inadvertent double entendre? [b] No [/b] Is it to do with syllables/phonetic sounds? This Vowels? yes if i understad you correctly

My (Irish) Boss once called me in for a meeting to discuss the 'atris' and asked if I had studied the 'atris' carefully. I assured him that I knew the 'atris' backwards, and would relish the chance to wax lyrical about them.

I turn up to the meeting, and am grilled on the horde of graphs, tables, and policies that had been printed out on two dozen A3 sheets of paper and stuck to our visual management wall.

Fortunately, I had indeed read them. Pronouncing three as tree is a fairly common thing in Ireland I'd associate it with the east coast and Dublin in particular . Is your boss a 'Dub'?
peter365

Postby WiZ » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:29 am

He is indeed a Dubhlannach.

Did you pronounce it 'Three A'? 'Triple A' 'A-A-A'?
WiZ

Postby peter365 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:40 am

He is indeed a Dubhlannach. Thought as much

Did you pronounce it 'Three A'? 'Triple A' 'A-A-A'? Neither I didn't specfically state the battery size
peter365

Postby WiZ » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:35 pm

Did you ask for a battery? Did you describe the battery in particular terms? It's size (small, wee, little etc.)? Did you know you wanted AAA batteries when you entered the shop? Did you inquire about a suitable battery for a particular device/purpose?
WiZ

Postby peter365 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:00 pm

WiZ

Did you ask for a battery? In the shop? no to my daughter yes Did you describe the battery in particular terms? Yes It's size (small, wee, Yes this one, good question little etc.)? Did you know you wanted AAA batteries when you entered the shop? I'm one of those people that doesn't know the names of the various sizes of battery so I did what most people would do in that circumstance Did you inquire about a suitable battery for a particular device/purpose? No, I can't specifically remember what I needed the battery for.
peter365

Postby Balin » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:42 pm

Did you specifically say the words "wee battery"?
Did you ask for (or otherwise mention) a single battery? A pack of batteries?
Balin

Postby WiZ » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:21 pm

Was the word 'wee' said in a context that could be misconstrued (I'm envisaging a conversation going along the lines of 'Dad, I need a battery'. 'What kind?'. 'Just a wee one'. 'Wee?' 'What?' 'You just need a wee (one)?')
WiZ

Postby peter365 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:15 am

Balin

Did you specifically say the words "wee battery"? Yes I did
Did you ask for (or otherwise mention) a single battery? if you mean by it's technical name then no.A pack of batteries? [b] No [/b]
peter365

Postby peter365 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:20 am

Was the word 'wee' said in a context that could be misconstrued (I'm envisaging a conversation going along the lines of 'Dad, I need a battery'. 'What kind?'. 'Just a wee one'. 'Wee?' 'What?' 'You just need a wee (one)?') This is actually not far form the type of discussion thay we had although remember I'm the one who used the word 'wee'. Needing the toilet (wee) is not relevant

It's worth remembering that at no point did I interact with anyone in the shop , the only relevant coversation is with my daughter before we set off.
peter365

Postby Balin » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:30 pm

Did you end up going to the shop at all? Going somewhere else? Going nowhere?
Did she mistake "wee" for "we"?
Balin

Postby peter365 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:30 am

Balin

Did you end up going to the shop at all? Yes Going somewhere else? No Going nowhere? No
Did she mistake "wee" for "we"? No
peter365

Postby Enjay » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:16 pm

Did your daughter misunderstand you?

Is a mishearing of the word battery relevant?

Did she think you wanted a battery for the Nintendo Wii?
Enjay

Postby peter365 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:54 am

Nice to see you back Enjay

Did your daughter misunderstand you? Yes

Is a mishearing of the word battery relevant?

Did she think you wanted a battery for the Nintendo Wii? Yes

***************SPOILER*****************

I'm one of those people who when buying batteries brings along one of the dead ones for comparison to ensure I don't buy the wrong size. This situation happened on a recent trip to my local shop with my daughter to buy replacement batteries for a small clock that we keep on our mantelpiece. The batteries in the clock are really small .

I nearly forgot to bring one with me but remembered just in time and sent my daughter back into the house to get 'one of those wee batteries'. In the shop the look of confusion on her face when she handed me the battery to a Nintendo Wii control was priceless.

She had the cheek to claim that this was the fault of my 'stupid northern accent'. I've resolved to start using the word small more often in conversation.

Thanks for putting this silly diversion out of it's misery Enjay.
peter365

Re: [peter365] Country Feedback (Flower Scorched)

Postby Balin » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:43 pm

Wii were very off-track for a while.

Nice one.
Balin

Re: [peter365] Country Feedback (Flower Scorched)

Postby WiZ » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:32 pm

I've still got my training wheels on when it comes to picking out Irish accents... I can reasonably identify if someone's from Belfast or Cork, but still get tripped up on everything in between.

Was impressed at the (local) bartender at the Brazen Head, who served me my pint of Guinness, narrowed his eyes a little, and said 'You're from either Auckland or Wellington'. That's more precision than my fellow countrymen afford me.
WiZ

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles