[Hobbsicle] Best Foot Forward

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[Hobbsicle] Best Foot Forward

Postby Hobbsicle » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:09 pm

My job as a mortgage inspector sometimes involves making an appointment with a homeowner to go to their house and take pictures of repairs done for an insurance claim. Occasionally, based on the initial phone call, I will arrive at the house, untie my shoes, and tie them again before going to the door. Why?

No further knowledge of the specifics of my job or of house repairs are necessary.
Last edited by Hobbsicle on Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hobbsicle

Re: [Hobbsicle] Best Foot Forward

Postby GalFisk » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:19 pm

Do you tie them the same way as they were tied before? A different way? Do you perform any relevant action before untying? During untying? Between untying and tying? During tying? After tying? Are you hiding an action behind the untying and tying action? Are you pretending your shoes need to be tied when they don't? are you creating a relevant delay? A relevant body movement? Are you supporting your shoes on anything relevant? Supporting yourself on anything relevant? Are you relevantly seen doing this? Do you untie and tie both shoes? Would it work if you did only one? Would it work if you did it in reverse order? Do you untie both before tying both? Are you tying them to secure them batter? Are animals relevant? Are your actions based on the type of person you spoke to? The type of repair? The type of claim? The words they said? Their demeanor? The quality of the sound during the conversation? Does this help you do your job better? Is it done for your own advantage? the advantage of your employer? The homeowner? Someone else? For someone's disadvantage? For fun? Profit? If your shoes had zippers instead of laces, would it help to zip them down and up again? If they had velcro, would it help to undo and redo the velcro? Is it relevant how your shoes look? Dirt under the soles relevant?
GalFisk

Postby Hobbsicle » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:07 am

Do you tie them the same way as they were tied before? There is a difference A different way? Somewhat, yes
Do you perform any relevant action before untying? During untying? Between untying and tying? During tying? After tying? Not necessarily any of these, but there is a reason I do it that might involve an action after tying
Are you hiding an action behind the untying and tying action? No Are you pretending your shoes need to be tied when they don't? No are you creating a relevant delay? No A relevant body movement? No Are you supporting your shoes on anything relevant? No Supporting yourself on anything relevant? No, usually my car seat Are you relevantly seen doing this? No
Do you untie and tie both shoes? Yes Would it work if you did only one? Only half as well ;) Would it work if you did it in reverse order? Yes Do you untie both before tying both? Irrel Are you tying them to secure them batter? No
Are animals relevant? No Are your actions based on the type of person you spoke to? Yes The type of repair? No...there are some repairs that I might not do this for, but that's not particularly relevant The type of claim? No The words they said? No Their demeanor? I think so, DOYD The quality of the sound during the conversation? No
Does this help you do your job better? No Is it done for your own advantage? Yes the advantage of your employer? No The homeowner? Yope Someone else? No For someone's disadvantage? No For fun? No Profit? No, with a small ish that can safely be ignored
If your shoes had zippers instead of laces, would it help to zip them down and up again? No If they had velcro, would it help to undo and redo the velcro? Theoretically, it could help a minuscule amount, but I wouldn't do it Is it relevant how your shoes look? No Dirt under the soles relevant? No
Hobbsicle

Postby GalFisk » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:42 am

If you didn't retie your shoes, could the laces tangle in something? Relevantly touch something? Become untied? Look messy? Do you retie the shoes in order to have a neat-looking knot? Do you tie both knots the same way? Do you tie one mirrored to the other? Do you place the knots differently? If so: towards the left? Right? Inside? Outside?
GalFisk

Postby Grouffe » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:16 pm

Are you tightening the shoelaces to ensure that you can make a quick retreat? For instance, when you realize that the homeowner also is the owner of a potentially dangerous dog?

Do you bend down to get a frog's view of the property, so the untying and tying is only a pretext for surveying the lower parts of the insurance object?
Grouffe

Postby Hobbsicle » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:43 pm

Galfisk

If you didn't retie your shoes, could the laces tangle in something? Relevantly touch something? Become untied? Look messy? No to theses
Do you retie the shoes in order to have a neat-looking knot? No Do you tie both knots the same way? Yes, or close enough Do you tie one mirrored to the other? Not relevantly Do you place the knots differently? Yes-ish If so: towards the left? Right? Inside? Outside? Not in these ways, though

Grouffe

Are you tightening the shoelaces to ensure that you can make a quick retreat? No For instance, when you realize that the homeowner also is the owner of a potentially dangerous dog? Gotta love those dogs...but no

Do you bend down to get a frog's view of the property, so the untying and tying is only a pretext for surveying the lower parts of the insurance object? No
Hobbsicle

Postby WiZ » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:03 pm

Are you switching between single and double-knots? If so: Single-to-double? Vice versa?
WiZ

Postby Hobbsicle » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:34 am

Are you switching between single and double-knots? If so: Single-to-double? Vice versa? I do sometimes go from double-knot to single. It's not actually the most relevant difference, but that might be a hint of sorts.
Hobbsicle

Postby Balin » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:17 am

Are you making the shoes easier to untie, if you have to untie them upon entering the house?
Balin

Postby Hobbsicle » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:15 am

Are you making the shoes easier to untie, if you have to untie them upon entering the house? YES! Why might I need to do that?
Hobbsicle

Postby dukhsan » Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:24 am

Are there certain clients for whom it is important to remove shoes when entering their house? Is any of your choice based on the homeowner's culture/nationality, their age, their desire for a clean house (not tracking dirt inside)?

Do some clients have homes that just wouldn't be good to walk around in with shoes on, even if the homeowner doesn't specifically care? Could this be easily discerned by a phone call if so?
dukhsan

Postby Hobbsicle » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:01 am

Are there certain clients for whom it is important to remove shoes when entering their house? Yes Is any of your choice based on the homeowner's culture/nationality, their age, their desire for a clean house (not tracking dirt inside)? Yes

Do some clients have homes that just wouldn't be good to walk around in with shoes on, even if the homeowner doesn't specifically care? Could this be easily discerned by a phone call if so? No to these

**************SPOILER****************

Often, when the homeowner is natively Asian (as is guessed by a thick accent), I might be asked to remove my shoes before entering the home, as is the common custom in several countries. I am absolutely happy to oblige, but I wear my shoes tightly tied and double-knotted, not to mention the fact that, given where I live and the work I do, I sometimes have burs on my shoelaces. So the process can be a bit laborious, and sometimes the homeowner looks sorry that they asked. So in order to make that go more smoothly, I have tied my shoes more loosely before going in so that I can slip my shoes on and off with ease.

I knew this had a risk of sounding a bit like stereotyping, and I don't want to give the impression that it is always that way, or that other homeowners haven't also asked me to remove my shoes, but I just found my own behavior so odd, that I wanted to put it into a puzzle.

Thanks for playing!
Hobbsicle

Re: [Hobbsicle] Best Foot Forward (OTHER SHOE DROPPED)

Postby peter365 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:25 pm

Very lateral I like it.

And I love the word 'burr'
peter365

Postby Hobbsicle » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:17 am

Thanks!

Texas: lots of burrs, not enough "brrrr"s.
Hobbsicle

Postby peter365 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:47 am

There's a town in Ireland called Birr , gets quite cold there.
peter365

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles