[IrishElk] From Dusk Til Dawn

Current and recently solved lateral thinking puzzles. Please post new lateral thinking puzzles here.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[IrishElk] From Dusk Til Dawn

Postby irishelk » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:51 pm

Finally, inspiration struck for a Halloween puzzle. Hope you're all having a frighteningly good Samhain season.

Skinny jeans save lives.
irishelk

Re: [IrishElk] From Dusk Til Dawn

Postby WiZ » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:34 pm

Does the life-saving happen during the process of: The manufacture of the jeans? The sale of the jeans? The wearing of the jeans? The recognition of the wearing of the jeans? The lingering cultural paradigm created by the existence and proliferation of the jeans?

Do they save the lives of the wearer? Someone coming into contact with/interacting with the wearer?

Do they prevent deaths by murder? Accident? Health-related issues?

Do they save lives year-round? Around Halloween only? To a greater degree at this time?
WiZ

Postby Earnest » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:37 am

save lives of human beings? save lives of people who mask for halloween? Are skinny jeans part of a mask? If so is the mask recognized as "mask" because of the skinny jeans? Relevant that they are "skinny"? Do they save lives in every country in the world?

Save lives = because they are seen from other people? Because they are wore? Only when they are wore?
Earnest

Postby irishelk » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:25 pm

WiZ

Does the life-saving happen during the process of: The manufacture of the jeans? The sale of the jeans? The wearing of the jeans? Yope. The recognition of the wearing of the jeans? The lingering cultural paradigm created by the existence and proliferation of the jeans? No to rest.

Do they save the lives of the wearer? Yes. Someone coming into contact with/interacting with the wearer? No.

Do they prevent deaths by murder? Accident? This. Health-related issues?

Do they save lives year-round? No. Around Halloween only? Yope. To a greater degree at this time? Their ability to save is specific to Halloween.

Earnest

save lives of human beings? Yope. save lives of people who mask for halloween? No or irr. Are skinny jeans part of a mask? No. If so is the mask recognized as "mask" because of the skinny jeans? Relevant that they are "skinny"? Yes. Do they save lives in every country in the world? No, but it could happen in many.

Save lives = because they are seen from other people? Because they are wore? Only when they are wore? Yes.
irishelk

Postby Earnest » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:09 am

Save lives = avoid to get caught (hope it is clear) somewhere? Do they save lives directly? Is their material relevant? Their design? Who usually wear it in Halloween? Scarecrows relevant?
Do skinny jeans signalize something?

Ability to save lives just in halloween = the day of Halloween? The night of Halloween? pumpkins relevant? Agriculturers relevant? Jeans wore by workers? By people in general?
Earnest

Postby GalFisk » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:44 pm

Trick-or-treating relevant? Animals? Is skinniness near a certain body part relevant? If so: ankles? Knees? Thighs? Hips? Butt? Crotch? Waist? Are pockets relevant? Is the accidental death caused by: the wearer? Humans, apart from the wearer? Machinery? The ground? Animal(s)? Candy? Other clothing relevant? Comfort relevand? Discomfort? Temperature?
GalFisk

Postby irishelk » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:03 pm

Earnest

Save lives = avoid to get caught (hope it is clear) somewhere? Yes! Do they save lives directly? DOYD, but I'd say somewhat directly. Is their material relevant? No. Their design? Yes. Who usually wear it in Halloween? Not usually, no. Scarecrows relevant? No.
Do skinny jeans signalize something? No.

Ability to save lives just in halloween = the day of Halloween? The night of Halloween? This. pumpkins relevant? No. Agriculturers relevant? No. Jeans wore by workers? No. By people in general? If you mean regular, non-skinny jeans, then yes, somewhat.

GalFisk

Trick-or-treating relevant? No. Animals? No. Is skinniness near a certain body part relevant? Yesish. If so: ankles? Knees? Thighs? Hips? Butt? Crotch? Waist? I imagined near the ankles, but anywhere on the lower leg works. Are pockets relevant? No. Is the accidental death caused by: the wearer? Yes. Humans, apart from the wearer? Yesish. Machinery? The ground? Yope--it's certainly involved. Animal(s)? Candy? No to rest.
Other clothing relevant? Yes. Comfort relevant? Discomfort? Temperature? No to rest.
irishelk

Postby CoffeeBean » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:20 pm

Are shoes also relevant? Socks? Another footwear?
Does wearing skinny jeans help with a relevant bodily movement? Like running? Climbing? Crawling? Jumping?
Do the jeans make the wearer more able to perform a certain action(s)?
CoffeeBean

Postby Earnest » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:43 pm

To be sure...wearer = human beings? ...I was thinking of mannequins being transported from a place to another?

Were skinny jeans wore instead of other types of jeans? By women mainly? By men? By children?Relevant?
To be sure...are skinny jeans wore normally or for instance as "underwear" (e.g. covered by something)?

Wearer get caught in a carousel? Get caught in another clothing? In a costume?
Earnest

Postby irishelk » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:21 pm

CoffeeBean

Are shoes also relevant? Socks? Another footwear? No.
Does wearing skinny jeans help with a relevant bodily movement? Yope to yesish. Like running? This is the relevant movement. Climbing? Crawling? Jumping?
Do the jeans make the wearer more able to perform a certain action(s)? Yesish.

Earnest

To be sure...wearer = human beings? Yes. ...I was thinking of mannequins being transported from a place to another?

Were skinny jeans wore instead of other types of jeans? Yes, or other clothing. By women mainly? By men? By children?Relevant? Noish to all...one person relevant, age/gender irr. Let's call her Sally.
To be sure...are skinny jeans wore normally or for instance as "underwear" (e.g. covered by something)? No.

Wearer get caught in a carousel? Get caught in another clothing? In a costume? No to all, but they are caught. Ish.
irishelk

Postby Earnest » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:08 am

Was Sally chased by someone? By someone with bad intentions (e.g. kill her?) Are we talking about a movie? Rubning in the street? Running in a house? In a garden? Inside a gym? Inside a building?

So it happens during (or while preparing for it?) the halloween night right? Every halloween night of any year? Is any of the halloween typical schemes of taught here involved: I mean "trick or treat"? Costume party? Watching an horror movie? Halloween decorations? Carousels of some sort?

So not to get caught while running...did Sally need to go into (enter into) a narrow escape/place/hole/aisle? Get caught relevant on what? Something made of iron? Bushes? Trees?

Get caught = die necessarily?

Is sonething historical here involved? E.g. when there were not skinny jeans, someone could die getting caught somewhere?
Earnest

Postby irishelk » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:53 pm

Earnest

Was Sally chased by someone? No, but... By someone with bad intentions (e.g. kill her?) Are we talking about a movie? No. Rubning in the street? Running in a house? In a garden? Inside a gym? Inside a building? No to all.

So it happens during (or while preparing for it?) the halloween night right? Yes, on the night. Every halloween night of any year? No. Is any of the halloween typical schemes of taught here involved: I mean "trick or treat"? Costume party? Watching an horror movie? Halloween decorations? Carousels of some sort? None of these, but it's something not unheard of to do on Halloween.

So not to get caught while running...did Sally need to go into (enter into) a narrow escape/place/hole/aisle? No, possible FA. Get caught relevant on what? Yes. Something made of iron? Possibly--certainly metal. Bushes? Trees? No.

Get caught = die necessarily? Not always, but in this circumstance yes.

Is sonething historical here involved? Yope, DOYD. E.g. when there were not skinny jeans, someone could die getting caught somewhere? YES, this is very much OTRT.
irishelk

Postby CoffeeBean » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:05 pm

Getting snagged or stuck on a fence? While climbing a fence? Attempting to jump over a fence?
CoffeeBean

Postby Earnest » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:11 am

Ok..so...I'm just guessibg about the metal stuff...is the coat hanger relevant? If so is it used as a coat hanger? Like when there were not skinny jeans it wasn't necessary? Or it had another shape?

Is a relevant item inside the pockets of the jeans relevant? Is a comparison made? E.g. skinny jeans vs normal jeans? Or is it more general like skinny jeans vs pants in general?

Something historical = sonething concerning the history of Halloween? Something previously made without skinny jeans? If so relevant with which type of pants?

Metal item = work tools? I was thibkibg about the chainsaw when it is turned on...if I remember it is blocked through the feet right? Maybe in that moment having skinny jeans may be useful
Earnest

Postby irishelk » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:56 pm

CoffeeBean

Getting snagged or stuck on a fence? While climbing a fence? Attempting to jump over a fence? No to all.

Earnest

Ok..so...I'm just guessibg about the metal stuff...is the coat hanger relevant? If so is it used as a coat hanger? Like when there were not skinny jeans it wasn't necessary? Or it had another shape? No to all.

Is a relevant item inside the pockets of the jeans relevant? No. Is a comparison made? Not within the puzzle, no. E.g. skinny jeans vs normal jeans? Or is it more general like skinny jeans vs pants in general? If I understand you right, yes.

Something historical = sonething concerning the history of Halloween? Not really. Something previously made without skinny jeans? Earlier versions of pants, yes. If so relevant with which type of pants? No.
To clarify, this is a story usually told as occurring in the past, before the invention of skinny jeans, but that doesn't really have an impact on the story itself.

Metal item = work tools? Yope, it is a tool of sorts. I was thinking about the chainsaw when it is turned on...if I remember it is blocked through the feet right? Maybe in that moment having skinny jeans may be useful Very true! But irr. :)
irishelk

Postby Earnest » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:59 pm

Certainly of metal...is magnetism relevant somehow? Is the physical difficulty of putting stuffs in pockets relevant?

The thing in which one could get caught is visible during halloween night? Is usually in outside? In streets? In inside? Has sonething to do with entertainment? Fireworks? Is the metal thing fixed on the ground? Has it got some hook in which one could get caught? Is it a "static object"? An object that could be dynamic once activated? (E.g. a treadmill?...) is it a tool used to work? To have fun? An every day tool?

Is a game played? Did Sally run to be the first in something? To place first? Had Sally started to run from a long time? Just from seconds? If the latter did she just got off from a mean of transport? A bus? A car?
Earnest

Postby irishelk » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:45 pm

Earnest

Certainly of metal...is magnetism relevant somehow? No. Is the physical difficulty of putting stuffs in pockets relevant? No.

The thing in which one could get caught is visible during halloween night? Not particularly. Is usually in outside? In streets? In inside? I suppose usually inside. Has sonething to do with entertainment? No. Fireworks? No. Is the metal thing fixed on the ground? No. Has it got some hook in which one could get caught? No. Is it a "static object"? It doesn't move by itself, but it can be moved. An object that could be dynamic once activated? (E.g. a treadmill?...) No. is it a tool used to work? Sometimes. To have fun? Rarely. An every day tool? It's common, usually not thought of as a "tool."

Is a game played? Yope. Did Sally run to be the first in something? To place first? No. Had Sally started to run from a long time? Just from seconds? Thisish, FA. If the latter did she just got off from a mean of transport? No. A bus? A car?
irishelk

Postby Earnest » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:51 am

So...the fact that it is during halloween's night, means that it is a typical halloween object (the metal object) that can be seen with the day light and S can avoid to get caught on that, while during the night it is possible that she does not see it?
Is it more probable to be got caught on pockets?

In unside = in inside houses? In inside a particular building?
Is the metal object initially placed inside the pants? Is it dangerous to run with the metal object inside the pants? I
Earnest

Postby irishelk » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:22 pm

Earnest

So...the fact that it is during halloween's night, means that it is a typical halloween object (the metal object) It's a common, object, not particular to Halloween. that can be seen with the day light and S can avoid to get caught on that, while during the night it is possible that she does not see it?
Is it more probable to be got caught on pockets? It is less visible at night, and that is involved, but is not the only reason she is caught on it.

In unside = in inside houses? This object is common inside houses, yes... In inside a particular building? but can be found in many other places too.
Is the metal object initially placed inside the pants? Possibly, irr. Is it dangerous to run with the metal object inside the pants? Yes, very, but irr.
irishelk

Postby Earnest » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:39 pm

Is the object usually on walls? On the floor?
Earnest

Postby irishelk » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:47 pm

Earnest

Is the object usually on walls? On the floor? For both: no, though it could be.
irishelk

Postby irishelk » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:57 pm

Nice big hint if you want it:

I was worried that Literally A Skeleton and I had picked the same story to make our Halloween puzzles about! But from his answers I now know they're different. =)
irishelk

Postby Earnest » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:58 am

dungarees relevant?
The hint...is it a rebus? A pun? Words dot, closed round bracket,equal involved? Is the dot bracket notation relevant? Other notations?
Is it a picture? Is the dot an head? Is the equal two legs? If the latter, a man sleeping? A face eithout an eye? Is something seen from the above? Is it an happy emoticon without the left eye? Like "look without the left eye?"
Is it a man on a skateboard? On a little sled?
Are steps involved? (E.g. go down the steps with a sled?)

Is the object commonly on doors? In specific rooms (kitchen? Bedroom? Bathroom? Living room?)? On ceiling? On a table? On roofs?
Does the object cut?
Earnest

Postby irishelk » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:53 pm

Earnest

dungarees relevant? Only in terms of the jeans in the statement.
The hint...is it a rebus? A pun? Words dot, closed round bracket,equal involved? Is the dot bracket notation relevant? Other notations?
Is it a picture? Is the dot an head? Is the equal two legs? If the latter, a man sleeping? A face eithout an eye? Is something seen from the above? Is it an happy emoticon without the left eye? Like "look without the left eye?"
Is it a man on a skateboard? On a little sled? Sorry to confuse! The hint is in white text in the above post. The smilie is just a smilie. =)
It does look like a skateboarding man though!

Are steps involved? No. (E.g. go down the steps with a sled?)

Is the object commonly on doors? No. In specific rooms (kitchen? This. Bedroom? Bathroom? Living room?)? On ceiling? On a table? On roofs? No to rest--it really could be anywhere, but kitchen is where I'd look first for one.
Does the object cut? Yes!
irishelk

Postby Earnest » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:10 pm

Scissors? Knife? Potato peeler? Blender?

Well...sorry but I just didn'realize that the hibt was in white...I mean I don't want it but just in case I wanted to see it would I need to quote your post? Anyway I feel stupid ahhahahah
Earnest

Postby biograd » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:26 pm

Is a movie or theater involved somehow in this puzzle? Dying of fright?
biograd

Postby irishelk » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:10 pm

Earnest » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:10 pm
Scissors? Knife? This! Potato peeler? Blender?

Well...sorry but I just didn't realize that the hint was in white...I mean I don't want it but just in case I wanted to see it would I need to quote your post? Anyway I feel stupid ahhahahah No worries, I should have said that! I'm too accustomed to LTPF convention.
You can quote or highlight the text--which is difficult if you're on a phone.

biograd

Is a movie or theater involved somehow in this puzzle? No... Dying of fright? Yes!
irishelk

Postby Balin » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:14 pm

Relevant that you can't exactly hide an item, even a slim knife, in tight skinny jeans?
Balin

Postby irishelk » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:48 pm

Balin

Relevant that you can't exactly hide an item, even a slim knife, in tight skinny jeans? No.
irishelk

Postby Earnest » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:23 pm

So kmife = kitchen knife? A weapon? A generic blade could work as well?

are movement concerned to fright relevant? Is the knife in the hand of someone/something? In a drawer? Is the knife handled by soneone(e.g. the someone who could get caught?) Is it in its original place and one could get caught on it by passing/running in panic in the nearby?
Is it sonething like you get caught on that if you don't pay attention (e.g. if you run in panic?)?

Are we talking about a movie? The scene of some movie?

Get caught on a knife relevant? Strange question...when someone get caught on the knife is it more probable that he/she go toward the knife or that the knife go (handled or not) toward him/her? Are there more than one knife? If so are the knives part of a bigger machine? A mechanism which twirls?
Earnest

Return to Active Lateral Thinking Puzzles