[Wizardofnz] Help my username is devolving [FLATMATE WANTED]

Current and recently solved lateral thinking puzzles. Please post new lateral thinking puzzles here.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[Wizardofnz] Help my username is devolving [FLATMATE WANTED]

Postby WiZ » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:14 pm

Luke is checking the receipts of his purchases over the last 3 months. He notes that he has bought one cheap, innocuous, incidental item far more often than expected. He then moves out of his apartment almost immediately. Why?

FMOI. Caveat Earlispoilor
Last edited by WiZ on Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WiZ

Re: [Wizardofnz] Help my username is devolving

Postby Earnest » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:30 am

Luke = HAM?
Relevant why he checked the receipts of the last 3 months? Had he checked the ones of the last month/the last 2 months/the last 6 months would it happen the same?
Is the item something that is usually bought by a category of people? By all people in general? Is it usually bought every day? Every week? Every month?

He moved out permanently? For few minutes? For few hours? To check sonething? Because staying in the apartment would have been risky? Risk of death? Did he leave the apartment and then come back? Like he went in a place in the nearby? In the place where he bought the item?

Is the item connected to food? Clothing? Drink?Houseworks? Is it an item that is usually consumed and is bought again once consumed? An item that is necessary to another item to work? An item related to the house?
Earnest

Postby Enjay » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:27 pm

Did Luke live alone? Relevant?

Is it relevant where he moves to? Or is they key thing that he leaves the apartment?
Enjay

Postby Balin » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:19 pm

Is Luke in danger? Of dying? From something in his apartment?
Balin

Postby WiZ » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:54 pm

Earnest

Luke = HAM? yes
Relevant why he checked the receipts of the last 3 months? no Had he checked the ones of the last month/the last 2 months/the last 6 months would it happen the same? it might have led him to the same conclusion, but been less conclusive
Is the item something that is usually bought by a category of people? no By all people in general? yes Is it usually bought every day? Every week? Every month? this is closest

He moved out permanently? yes For few minutes? For few hours? To check sonething? no to these Because staying in the apartment would have been risky? yes Risk of death? yesish Did he leave the apartment and then come back? no Like he went in a place in the nearby? In the place where he bought the item? n/a to these

Is the item connected to food? Clothing? Drink?Houseworks? this; no to rest Is it an item that is usually consumed and is bought again once consumed? yes (DOYD of 'consumed') An item that is necessary to another item to work? yope An item related to the house? yes

Balin

Is Luke in danger? yes Of dying? yesish From something in his apartment? yes

Enjay

Did Luke live alone? no Relevant? yes

Is it relevant where he moves to? no Or is they key thing that he leaves the apartment? yes
WiZ

Postby Enjay » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:33 pm

Was the item used for cleaning?

Did Luke live with a friend? Family? Other roommate? More than one other person?

If Luke had stayed, would he have been in danger of becoming ill? Poisoned? A victim of crime? Injured/killed by someone he lived with?

Was he buying more of the item because he was using a lot more of it? Because he was losing it? Forgetting he'd bought it? It was being used up in some way other than him using it? Someone he lived with was using it? If so, in a way that would harm Luke?
Enjay

Postby WiZ » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:39 pm

Was the item used for cleaning? no

Did Luke live with a friend? Family? Other roommate? this, no to rest More than one other person? yes

If Luke had stayed, would he have been in danger of becoming ill? Poisoned? A victim of crime? Injured/killed by someone he lived with? yes to all, in roughly equal measure

Was he buying more of the item because he was using a lot more of it? no Because he was losing it? yope Forgetting he'd bought it? no It was being used up in some way other than him using it? yes! Someone he lived with was using it? yes If so, in a way that would harm Luke? yes
WiZ

Postby Enjay » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:43 pm

Was one of Luke's roommates trying to kill him? Or several/all of them? Relevant exactly how many people he lived with?

Is the item something that is sold as poison (eg rat poison)? Something that would be poisonous if enough was consumed? Something that would be poisonous even if a small amount was consumed? Something that is not poisonous itself, but that the roommate would use to help poison Luke? Something that would help prevent Luke getting poisoned, so the roommate was taking it to stop Luke using it?

Would the poison have been put in Luke's food/drink? Would he have inhaled in? Taken it in through his skin?
Enjay

Postby WiZ » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:04 pm

Was one of Luke's roommates trying to kill him? no Or several/all of them? no Relevant exactly how many people he lived with? no

Is the item something that is sold as poison (eg rat poison)? no Something that would be poisonous if enough was consumed? yes (although something would kill you before the poison) Something that would be poisonous even if a small amount was consumed? it would be poisonous to some extent Something that is not poisonous itself, but that the roommate would use to help poison Luke? not in any direct sense Something that would help prevent Luke getting poisoned, so the roommate was taking it to stop Luke using it? no

Would the poison have been put in Luke's food/drink? I think we're getting ahead of the facts, here Would he have inhaled in? Taken it in through his skin? n/a to all
WiZ

Postby Enjay » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:14 pm

Was Luke's roommate trying to injure him? Not trying to harm him, but unwittingly doing something that would have harmed Luke? If Luke had been poisoned, would it have been by his roommate, or would the poisoning and the killed/injured by the roommate have been two separate events?

Was the roommate using the item in the way it was intended for? Had Luke bought it for them? If not, did they know it was Luke's when they used it?
Enjay

Postby WiZ » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:18 pm

Was Luke's roommate trying to injure him? no Not trying to harm him, but unwittingly doing something that would have harmed Luke? yes to all except 'unwittingly' If Luke had been poisoned, would it have been by his roommate yes, or would the poisoning and the killed/injured by the roommate have been two separate events? Only if for some reason Luke consumed the item he noticed on his receipt

Was the roommate using the item in the way it was intended for? no Had Luke bought it for them? irrelevant If not, did they know it was Luke's when they used it? n/a with a dash of FA
WiZ

Postby GalFisk » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:41 am

Is it dangerous to: ingest? Inhale? Touch? Is it corrosive? Cumulatove? Is allergy relevant? Is Luke experiencing any symptoms from what the roommate is doing? Is the thing a relevant substance? Or does it relevantly contain one?
GalFisk

Postby LemonCurry » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:37 am

Does the roommate (John?) use the item as an ingredient for something illegal? Like drugs or explosives? Is he using it to hide a health hazard? Like the house is infested with mold and he just paints over it?

Is the item paint? Or glue?
LemonCurry

Postby Earnest » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:36 pm

Is it something like toothpaste which I've heard, if mixed to other substances can provoke explosions? Is it something that L and the roommate have thrown away? If so could it be danger that the substances thrown (from the sink maybe?) are mixed together? Is it something that also L's roommate has bought?
Earnest

Postby WiZ » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:04 pm

GalFisk

Is it dangerous to: ingest? yes Inhale? yes Touch? Under most conditions, no Is it corrosive? no Cumulatove? I think not Is allergy relevant? no Is Luke experiencing any symptoms from what the roommate is doing? no Is the thing a relevant substance? no Or does it relevantly contain one? no

LemonCurry

Does the roommate (John?) use the item as an ingredient for something illegal? 'ingredient' isn't quite right Like drugs yes, this or explosives? Is he using it to hide a health hazard? no Like the house is infested with mold and he just paints over it? no (but, ugh, I had a flat like this once)

Is the item paint? Or glue? no to both

Earnest

Is it something like toothpaste which I've heard, if mixed to other substances can provoke explosions? no Is it something that L and the roommate have thrown away? not Luke, but yes If so could it be danger that the substances thrown (from the sink maybe?) are mixed together? no Is it something that also L's roommate has bought? no
WiZ

Postby Enjay » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:12 pm

Is the roommate making drugs? Are they using the item to aid them in taking drugs?

Would it have been the drugs that poisoned Luke?
Enjay

Postby WiZ » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:13 pm

Is the roommate making drugs? Are they using the item to aid them in taking drugs?

Would it have been the drugs that poisoned Luke?

yes to all
WiZ

Postby Enjay » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:16 pm

Was Luke concerned that the roommate would deliberately give him drugs? If so, with the intent to poison him? Was Luke worried that he would be tempted into taking the drugs? That he would accidentally ingest the drugs? Or some byproduct (fumes etc?) Was the roommate selling drugs? Was Luke worried about getting mixed up in the drug dealing world?
Enjay

Postby WiZ » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:19 pm

Was Luke concerned that the roommate would deliberately give him drugs? not necessarily If so, with the intent to poison him? no Was Luke worried that he would be tempted into taking the drugs? not necessarily That he would accidentally ingest the drugs? Or some byproduct (fumes etc?) this Was the roommate selling drugs? yes Was Luke worried about getting mixed up in the drug dealing world? yes

So, what was the incidental?
WiZ

Postby Balin » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:20 am

So Luke buys the item more often because his roommate is stealing it to make drugs? Was Luke in danger of being poisoned by fumes from the manufacture?
Exact drug relevant? Certain cold medicines are used in making meth.
Balin

Postby GalFisk » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:07 am

Is he buying lighters? Syringes? Spoons? Coffee filters? Plastic bags? Matches? Razor blades? Relevant how the drug is used? If so: swallowed? Put in the mouth? Sniffed? Injected? Smoked? Vaporized?
GalFisk

Postby Earnest » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:49 am

Luke's fear was that police would come in the apartment and arrest them? or to be poisoned?
Earnest

Postby LemonCurry » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:09 pm

I‘d also guess the plastic bags, but maybe it was tinfoil?
LemonCurry

Postby WiZ » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:19 pm

Balin

So Luke buys the item more often because his roommate is stealing it to make drugs? yes to all except 'make' Was Luke in danger of being poisoned by fumes from the manufacture? yes
Exact drug relevant? yes Certain cold medicines are used in making meth. correct, but irrelevant

GalFisk

Is he buying lighters? Syringes? Spoons? Coffee filters? Plastic bags? Matches? Razor blades? No to all - 'spoons' is aligned most closely with the logic... although does one truly buy spoons often enough for it to be considered an 'incidental'? Relevant how the drug is used? yes If so: swallowed? Put in the mouth? Sniffed? Injected? Smoked? this; no to rest Vaporized?

Earnest

Luke's fear was that police would come in the apartment and arrest them? or to be poisoned? Both (there are a lot of things to be concerned about if one finds oneself living in a drug lab)

LemonCurry

I‘d also guess the plastic bags, but maybe it was tinfoil? No to both - I've lived in flats which had genuine reasons for a high turnover rate for both - usually involving (legal) baking habits and a habitual forgetting of bringing canvas bags to the supermarket
WiZ

Postby Balin » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:37 am

Is the roommate stealing Luke's item to: use the drugs? Sell the drugs? Package the drugs? Convert the drugs from one format to another? (I realize that makes it sound like drugs are computer files... which they aren't...)
Balin

Postby WiZ » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:58 pm

Is the roommate stealing Luke's FA item to: use the drugs? Sell the drugs? Package the drugs? Convert the drugs from one format to another? no to all (I realize that makes it sound like drugs are computer files... which they aren't...) I need an application for this .thc document
WiZ

Postby Balin » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:18 pm

Is Luke buying the item for himself? For the roommate?
Balin

Postby WiZ » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:34 pm

Is Luke buying the item for himself? yes For the roommate? yes
WiZ

Postby LemonCurry » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:08 am

Tealights?
LemonCurry

Postby WiZ » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:39 pm

Tealights? No; this is a more routine purchase
WiZ

Postby Balin » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:12 pm

Is Luke buying the item for all the roommates to use? And Drugman is using more of them than normal?
Is it a "common" item? Is it something like water or electricity?
Balin

Postby WiZ » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:44 pm

Is Luke buying the item for all the roommates to use? yes And Drugman Druuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugmaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan! is using more of them than normal? yes, very much so
Is it a "common" item? very Is it something like water no or electricity? It is associated closely with electricity
WiZ

Postby Enjay » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:52 pm

Lightbulbs? Batteries?
Enjay

Postby WiZ » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:58 pm

Lightbulbs? Yes! Batteries?

***** SPOILER *****

Having replaced an ungodly number of lightbulbs over 3 months, it dawns on Luke that his flatmates have been using them to consume crack cocaine. Cursory inspection of the flat upon his return reveals further evidence of manufacture and consumption. Not wanting to be a part of this environment, Luke then moves out.

Well done, Enjay, and thank you everyone for playing.
WiZ

Re: [Wizardofnz] Help my username is devolving [FLATMATE WAN

Postby LemonCurry » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:28 am

Oh, I've never heard that one uses ligt bulbs to consume crack. Wonder how that is going to work :)
LemonCurry

Postby peter365 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:19 pm

I'm blissfully ignorant on this topic too. I don't want to google 'methods of taking crack cocaine' so please enlighten (pun definitely intended) us.
peter365

Postby WiZ » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:13 pm

Cocaine doesn't light on its own and needs to be heated slowly. It's often smoked in glass pipes but users often appropriate light bulbs for this purpose.
WiZ

Return to Active Lateral Thinking Puzzles