[Solong] Back to Blighty

Current and recently solved lateral thinking puzzles. Please post new lateral thinking puzzles here.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[Solong] Back to Blighty

Postby Solong » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:10 am

When I go to England, I am going to pay my respects to the following:
Gary Cooper
The chief justice of the common pleas
Woodrow Wilson
Stanley Jefferson
Lady Chatterley
How am I going to do this, and what do they have in common?
Solong

Re: [Solong] Back to Blighty

Postby Earnest » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:49 am

Hi!!!
Every time you go to England you know that you are going to pay your respects to those people? If so, personally? Or for instance indirectly by paying your respects to subordinates? By paying a sort of tax? By paying respect to an effige/statue/building/tomb/an institution?

Do they have in common the fact that their pictures are present in the same place? Do they have in common something which is private (e.g. you have in your house a picture of them, you personally respect them...?) Or something which is publically known(e.g. they are part of the same association?)?
Sorry for the ignorance...are they all alive? Is someone death among them? If so list of names? And again if so, do you pay your respects to the dead people through the ones that are alive? Do you pay them your respects because of something you have in common with them? Are you the only one who pay your respects to them (I was thinking of something like when you land to a specific airport in England, there is a statue/a terminal/a memorial recalling their names)?
Earnest

Postby Solong » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:41 pm

Hi!!!
Every time you go to England you know that you are going to pay your respects to those people? If so, personally? Or for instance indirectly by paying your respects to subordinates?Indirectly, since they are no longer alive. By paying a sort of tax? No, although money will change hands. By paying respect to an effige/statue/building/tomb/No to all these.an institution? but yes to an institution.

Do they have in common the fact that their pictures are present in the same place?No, in different places. Do they have in common something which is private (e.g. you have in your house a picture of them, you personally respect them...?) n.r. Or something which is publically known(e.g. they are part of the same association?)? They are associated, in a way, but don't think they belong to the same club, or party, or anything.
Sorry for the ignorance...are they all alive? Is someone death among them? If so list of names? All are dead, except for Lady Chatterley, who is fictionalAnd again if so, do you pay your respects to the dead people through the ones that are alive? Do you pay them your respects because of something you have in common with them? Well, 2 of them are American, so we have that in common. Mr. Jefferson, because I am a fan of his. Lady C. just for the heck of it. Are you the only one who pay your respects to them (I was thinking of something like when you land to a specific airport in England, there is a statue/a terminal/a memorial recalling their names)? Not as far as I know. I would not honor their memory at an airport.
Solong

Postby Balin » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:56 pm

Do you pay your respects at a certain place? At the same place for all of them?
Do you pay your respects by performing an action? Spending money?
Balin

Postby Earnest » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:25 am

Do you pay your respects to one of them or more because the place in which you pay your respect to another one is near to the place where the first is celebrated? Do you pay yor respects in a formal cerimony?

Do you spend a lot of time paying your respects to them? Do you pray for their memory? Do you pay you respects in the same way for any of them? Do you pay your respects in an ordinary way like praying? Making an offer to an institution? Do you pay your respect to them in inside? In outside? It depends? Do you regularly go to England? Do you go to England specifically to pay your respects?
Is your work/hobby involved? Like you perform them on a stage?

Institution = a man or a woman? A political institution (major/prime minister/lords/Parlament/queen/guards/judges)?
A specific part of a building(e.g. a museum?)?
Little WAG...not an expert but I'll try...do you pay your respects by singing a certain song? (E.g. you have a passion for football and one of the chorus of your favorite team pay the respects to them?) An anthem?

Thing they have in common = place of celebration? Something personal (like they were all part of your life in away)? They live near the place where you should go when you are in England? (E.g you have relatives who live in the nearby)
Earnest

Postby Solong » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:46 pm

Do you pay your respects at a certain place? places At the same place for all of them? different places, but same sort of place.
Do you pay your respects by performing an action? Yes.Spending money? Incidentally - this is part of it.
Solong

Postby Solong » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:55 pm

Do you pay your respects to one of them or more because the place in which you pay your respect to another one is near to the place where the first is celebrated? No, the places may be near each other, but not necessarily so. Do you pay yor respects in a formal cerimony? No.

Do you spend a lot of time paying your respects to them? If travel time is not counted, not much. Do you pray for their memory?No, religion not involved. Do you pay you respects in the same way for any of them? YesDo you pay your respects in an ordinary way like praying? Making an offer to an institution? No to all. Do you pay your respect to them in inside? In outside? It depends? Could be outside sometimes; mostly inside. Do you regularly go to England? Do you go to England specifically to pay your respects?
Is your work/hobby involved? Like you perform them on a stage? No and no.

Institution = a man or a woman? A political institution (major/prime minister/lords/Parlament/queen/guards/judges)? Not political.
A specific part of a building(e.g. a museum?)? Not a museum, but could be defined as a certain type of building.
Little WAG...not an expert but I'll try...do you pay your respects by singing a certain song? (E.g. you have a passion for football and one of the chorus of your favorite team pay the respects to them?) An anthem? Any singing I might do is n.r. and not part of 'honoring' them.

Thing they have in common = place of celebration? Yessish Something personal (like they were all part of your life in away)? People whom I admire, to some degree. They live near the place where you should go when you are in England? (E.g you have relatives who live in the nearby) No to these.
Solong

Postby Earnest » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:21 pm

Is the way the money are spend an usual one? Like for buying something? Or is spending money a consequence of payong respect? (E.g. throw money in a fountain like in Rome or something like that?) Is the gesture done to pay the respects considered "typical" for celebrating those people?

A certain type of building = a building commonly used for a certain purpose? A store which is present in every city? (e.g. an Hard rock, Sturbacks, others?) Do you make a toast(or more than one) in honor of them?
Earnest

Postby Solong » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:06 am

Is the way the money are spend an usual one? Like for buying something? Yes.Or is spending money a consequence of payong respect? (E.g. throw money in a fountain like in Rome or something like that?) No.Is the gesture done to pay the respects considered "typical" for celebrating those people? among many people, yes.

A certain type of building = a building commonly used for a certain purpose? Yes. A store which is present in every city? (e.g. an Hard rock, Sturbacks, others?) IDK about 'every city,' but imagine they are in many cities and towns. Do you make a toast YES. explore. (or more than one) in honor of them?
Solong

Postby Earnest » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:56 am

is it relevant ho many people with you make the toast? What it is said while toasting? The drink with which you toast? Do you make more than one toast? With the same drink? Are drinks names relevant? e.g. a drink is called Gary Cooper
Earnest

Postby Solong » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:52 pm

is it relevant ho many people with you make the toast?No. What it is said while toasting? No, just something like "Here's to _______ The drink with which you toast? Do you make more than one toast? With the same drink? No, no, and no. Are drinks names relevant? e.g. a drink is called Gary Cooper The names of the _drinks_ are not relevant.
Solong

Postby Solong » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:52 pm

Hint: If you were in the UK and wanted to drink a toast to someone, what would be a good place to do so?
Solong

Postby WiZ » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:53 pm

The pub? Are they names of pubs?
WiZ

Postby Solong » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:30 pm

The pub? Are they names of pubs? Yes, pubs in the Weatherstone chain.
I wonder who chooses the pub names, and why. The owners? I can understand picking the name of a local who made good e.g. Stanley Jefferson, aka Stan Laurel, or an actor or other person the owner admired, but why The Bank Draft, or The Asparagus? Why Lady Chatterley?
And some just wimped out and called their establishment The Weatherstone.
Solong

Postby Solong » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:38 pm

Oh, I guess we can call that the
********************SPOILER***********************
Solong

Return to Active Lateral Thinking Puzzles