[peter365] From a bloke from Brazil (Story Tolled)

Current and recently solved lateral thinking puzzles. Please post new lateral thinking puzzles here.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[peter365] From a bloke from Brazil (Story Tolled)

Postby peter365 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:50 am

Hi there puzzle pugilists, something quite silly for you.

While driving recently I realised that WhatsApp posed a potential damage threat to my car. Can you explain ?
peter365

Re: [peter365] From a bloke from Brazil

Postby LemonCurry » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:45 pm

Does Facebook pose the same kind of a potential damage threat to your car? Does Instagram? The LTPF?

Would the driver relevantly use Whatsapp when the car is damaged? Someone else in the car? Someone outside the car?
LemonCurry

Postby Earnest » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:14 pm

Hi peter!

Ok...so I suppose you were making a vocal message...am I right? (Supposition based on the fact that you were driving at the same time) is it specific to whatsapp?

Damage = destroy it? Physical damages? Is the potential damage given by some of the settings of whatsapp? E.g. the blue ticks? The chat configuration? The possibility of making a status? Do you refer to the phone application of whatsapp? To the firm who developed it?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:28 pm

Never used WhatsApp but...

Were you using WhatsApp at the time you made this realization? On your phone? Do you actually have WhatsApp on your phone?
(To call back to one of your older puzzles) Is the color of your car relevant? The make? The model?
Balin

Postby GalFisk » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:07 pm

Damage to: body work? Tires? Windows? Engine? Power train? Interior? Is the risk to: all cars? Some? Just yours? Is the color of the car relevant? Make? Model? Condition? Location? License plate?
GalFisk

Postby peter365 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:32 am

Lemoncurry

Does Facebook pose the same kind of a potential damage threat to your car? Does Instagram? They could The LTPF? No

Would the driver relevantly use Whatsapp when the car is damaged? not use as such Someone else in the car? Yes Someone outside the car? Yes
peter365

Postby peter365 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:32 am

Lemoncurry

Does Facebook pose the same kind of a potential damage threat to your car? Does Instagram? They could The LTPF? No

Would the driver relevantly use Whatsapp when the car is damaged? not use as such Someone else in the car? Yes Someone outside the car? Yes
peter365

Postby peter365 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:35 am

Hi peter! HI Earnest

Ok...so I suppose you were making a vocal message...am I right? (Supposition based on the fact that you were driving at the same time) I actually wasn't is it specific to whatsapp? No

Damage = destroy it? That might be overstating it a touch Physical damages? Yes Is the potential damage given by some of the settings of whatsapp? Yes E.g. the blue ticks? The chat configuration? The possibility of making a status? None of these Do you refer to the phone application of whatsapp? Yes To the firm who developed it? No
peter365

Postby peter365 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:37 am

Balin

Never used WhatsApp but... I wouln't worry, most messaging , social media apps would give rise to the same issue

Were you using WhatsApp at the time you made this realization? I wasn't actually using iut but...... On your phone? Do you actually have WhatsApp on your phone? Yes to both
(To call back to one of your older puzzles) Is the color of your car relevant? The make? The model? Ah my published puzzle , I'm afraid none are relevant
peter365

Postby peter365 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:43 am

Galfisk

Damage to: body work? Yes Tires? Unlikely Windows? Possibly Engine? Yes Power train? Had to look that up, not sure but possibly i guess . Main damage would be to bodywork Interior? No Is the risk to: all cars? No Some? Potentially in the same circumstances yes Just yours? as per pervious answer Is the color of the car relevant? Make? Model? Condition? No Location? Can you clarify License plate? No
peter365

Postby GalFisk » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:55 am

Location: in the city? The countryside? On a hill? On a highway? In a driveway? Driving? Parked at home? At work? Somewhere else?
Is the danger from: another car hitting it? Another non-car vehicle hittign it? Another object? People? Your car hitting something? Or someone? Normal wear and tear? Is the damage accidental? Intentional? Caused by another person? By you? By someone using WhatsApp?
GalFisk

Postby peter365 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:49 pm

Location: a specific city? Country? Continent? Pretty sure this would happen in most countries
Location: in the city? Can be here The countryside? In Ireland it's more often here On a hill? Unlikely On a highway? Yes In a driveway? No Driving? Yes Parked at home? At work? Somewhere else? No to these
Is the danger from: another car hitting it? Another non-car vehicle hittign it? Another object? People? Your car hitting something? Yes , a non vehicle something Or someone? Normal wear and tear? Is the damage accidental? It would be Intentional? Caused by another person? Not caused , but someone else would have to do something for this to occur. By you? No By someone using WhatsApp? Yes
peter365

Postby Earnest » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:46 pm

so it is something like driving in a highway your car can hit on a non-vehicle? Like hitting on an animal? on a pole? on a lamppost? Are you distracted when you go against the something? Or do you go against it voluntarily? Expecting that the something does not hit the car? Like against a bar?

Does the relevant functionality of wa involve video sharing? video chats? sharing images? sharing Status? Sounds? Does it create the damage when you are in the main page of what's app? When you are into a specific chat?

is the sharing of position relevant? vibration of the phone involved? wa notifications? wa uploading?
Earnest

Postby peter365 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:12 am

so it is something like driving in a highway your car can hit on a non-vehicle? YesLike hitting on an animal? on a pole? on a lamppost? No to these Are you distracted when you go against the something? No Or do you go against it voluntarily? Yes on the basis of the next question Expecting that the something does not hit the car? Yes Like against a bar? Yes

Does the relevant functionality of wa involve video sharing? video chats? sharing images? sharing Status? It could be any of these Sounds? This Does it create the damage when you are in the main page of what's app? No and an element of FA here When you are into a specific chat? Not a specific one

is the sharing of position relevant? No vibration of the phone involved? No wa notifications? Yes wa uploading? No
peter365

Postby Balin » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:36 pm

"Like against a bar"... by "bar," do you mean a guardrail?
Does WhatsApp make a particular sound when a phone receives a notification from it? Is that sound something you might ordinarily hear in a car? While driving?
Balin

Postby Earnest » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:41 pm

something like a damage in specific circumstances: e.g. you need to enter the highway and you have an engine which allows the bar to automatically open, but if a wa message arrives at that exact time there could be some interference?
Earnest

Postby LemonCurry » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:59 am

Is the bar at a railway gate? Would you mistake the warning sounds of the gate closing as Whatsapp messages, and ignore them?
LemonCurry

Postby peter365 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:50 am

Balin

"Like against a bar"... by "bar," do you mean a guardrail? No
Does WhatsApp make a particular sound when a phone receives a notification from it? Yes Is that sound something you might ordinarily hear in a car? Yes , in a particular circumstance. Not every car would have this risk mind you. While driving? Yes
peter365

Postby peter365 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:53 am

Earnest

something like a damage in specific circumstances: e.g. you need to enter the highway and you have an engine which allows the bar to automatically open, but if a wa message arrives at that exact time there could be some interference? This is almost correct but Whatsapp does not cause interference
peter365

Postby peter365 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:55 am

Lemoncurry

Is the bar at a railway gate? no but it's the right ballpark Would you mistake the warning sounds of the gate closing as Whatsapp messages, and ignore them? Not quite but confusing sounds it relevant.

You're pretty much there now , if you put all your ideas together you should have the solution.
peter365

Postby Earnest » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:57 am

Whatsapp cause a sound which you imagine is the sound of the engine? So that you accelerate thinking that the bar will open and instead is a wa message/notification?
Earnest

Postby peter365 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:22 pm

Earnest

Whatsapp cause a sound which you imagine is the sound of the engine? So that you accelerate thinking that the bar will open and instead is a wa message/notification? That'll do nicely......

*******************Spoiler*********************

I noticed something while driving the other week. I have an eToll reader on my car so I can go through motorway tollbooths without having to hand money over. There's a separate lane for eToll customers. On approaching the barrier the sensor picks up the signal from the little gizmo on my windscreen and the barrier lifts. A beeping noise is heard in the car indicating that the barrier will open and that the cost of the toll has been deducted from my account.

Every now and again the sensor doesn't work and you have to go through one of the manual booths.

Approaching one such toll recently i received a Whatsapp message from one of my brothers and I noticed that my tone alert for incoming messages is exactly the same sound as the beep made by the automated tollbooth.

In my mind one could be really unlucky and arrive at a non working eToll booth , get a message notification and plough straight into the non-working barrier.

Of course it's always advisable to assume the worst and approach the barrier slowly but I must confess to being a bit of a chancer when it comes to this . It annoys my wife no end when I approach quickly on the basis that the barrier will lift.

I'm 47 so I'll take whatever little bit of excitement is available.

The puzzle title is a lyric from 'Driving in my Car' by Madness.

Thanks for playing.
peter365

Re: [peter365] From a bloke from Brazil (Story Tolled)

Postby Earnest » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:53 pm

Wow...we have "telepass" here in italy...lukily enough its sounds is unique and very annoying!
Earnest

Postby Balin » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:47 pm

Clever.
Balin

Postby biograd » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:08 pm

Here (and in California, where I lived before) the tollbooths don't have barriers of any kind--they have cameras that take a photo of your license plate if you drive through without the sensor detecting a valid transmitter. If one of the booths wasn't working at all, they would probably have some sort of lane closure sign way before the tollbooth.
biograd

Return to Active Lateral Thinking Puzzles