[Balin] Click your heels (an homage)

Current and recently solved lateral thinking puzzles. Please post new lateral thinking puzzles here.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[Balin] Click your heels (an homage)

Postby Balin » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:02 am

This is Balin’s ‘woubit’s Christmas puzzle’ for 2017. Proceed.

Instructions & background: For several years in the 2000s, forum member ‘woubit’ would run an annual Christmas puzzle; this is my homage.

This Christmas puzzle operates the same way as his did - the title provides a clue to what the actual puzzle is, and that puzzle has some sort of Christmas theme. (For example: the 2009 puzzle was called “There’s an old piano”; puzzlers first reasoned the continued lyric - “and they’re playing it hot behind the green door” - then deduced the green door was on an advent calendar.) To get an idea of how this will run, check out his puzzles: 2005’s, 2007’s, 2008’s, and 2009’s. They are very long (2007's is the shortest).

All forms of reference (and Internet searching) are acceptable.

At present, all you have to go on is the title. Good luck.
Balin

Re: [Balin] Click your heels (an homage)

Postby Earnest » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:06 am

Hey! So we need to figure out what the puzzle is starting from the clue "click your heels"? And...again sorry...but click the heels means make a sound with the fingers? Or make a sound with the shoes? Like in a movie...don't remember the name....basically if you clicked your heels 3 times something magic happened? Is it a song?

Click the heels = being happy? Marching? Dancing?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:49 pm

Hey! So we need to figure out what the puzzle is starting from the clue "click your heels"? Yes
And...again sorry...but click the heels means make a sound with the fingers? Or make a sound with the shoes? This
Like in a movie...don't remember the name....basically if you clicked your heels 3 times something magic happened? You're thinking of The Wizard of Oz, and while that is the most notable instance of clicking heels, it is not the one the title is referencing.
Is it a song? It is, yes

Click the heels = being happy? Marching? Dancing? This
Balin

Postby Earnest » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:18 pm

Is this the lyric of a song? A typical move performed during a dance? I mean a move which is so typical that authomatically give us the name of the dance or the name of the song? Do we need to figure out the name of the song? The song next verse? The chorus? A specific part of a song? A christmas song? Written in 2000s? After? List of years from 2000 to 2017 (can i do that?...sorry I hate lists...but I'm forced to invoke it)
Earnest

Postby Balin » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:21 pm

Is this the lyric of a song? Yes
A typical move performed during a dance? I don't actually know, so Irrel I mean a move which is so typical that authomatically give us the name of the dance or the name of the song? Same as previous
Do we need to figure out the name of the song? It may help The song next verse? Not this, but... The chorus? No A specific part of a song? Yes A christmas song? Yes (but the main puzzle is not about Christmas songs; that was the 2007 puzzle)
Written in 2000s? After? Earlier List of years from 2000 to 2017 (can i do that?...sorry I hate lists...but I'm forced to invoke it) I'll allow it because it's such a short period of time. None of them
Balin

Postby Grouffe » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:46 pm

A prewar song? Any Fred Astaire or Ginger Rogers involved here?
Grouffe

Postby Earnest » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:54 pm

Is the song "Christmas in Killarney"? Did it become famous in list of years between 1970 and 2000?

Is the puzzle mainly on the title of the song? On a verse? Tip tap relevant? Is it an american song? Sang by a famous singer like Elvis? Michael Jackson? Is the relevant part about spmething done in Christmas? A dance? Shoes? Like Footlose? Is this song part of a musical? Part of a compilation? Is it typically performed in advertisment? Is it heard typically in christmas time also in 2015? 2016? Every year like a typical song?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:52 pm

A prewar song? No Any Fred Astaire or Ginger Rogers involved here? No, sorry

Is the song "Christmas in Killarney"? Yes

Did it become famous in list of years between 1970 and 2000? See above

Is the puzzle mainly on the title of the song? On a verse? The clue is in one of the lyrics

Is the relevant part about something done in Christmas? Yes, tangentially A dance? That's what it is in the line of the song Shoes? No

Tip tap relevant? Is it an american song? Sang by a famous singer like Elvis? Michael Jackson? Is this song part of a musical? Like Footlose? Part of a compilation? Is it typically performed in advertisment? Is it heard typically in christmas time also in 2015? 2016? Every year like a typical song? Since you have identified the song, that should answer these
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:49 pm

Only a part of the next verse relevant? If yes, "jigs and reels" (which rhymes with click your heels)? Other Scottish dances relevant?
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:52 am

Only a part of the next verse relevant? Yes If yes, "jigs and reels" (which rhymes with click your heels)? The exact line, Yes Other Scottish dances relevant? No
Balin

Postby Earnest » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:02 am

is fishing relevant? jigs = synonym for lure and reel in fishing?
If so, is any holy association relevant? Not an expert but I know that the fish is a symbol for Christ. Is it relevant? Something connected to the multiplication of loaves and fishes?

Feast of the Seven Fishes relevant?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:09 pm

is fishing relevant? jigs = synonym for lure and reel in fishing? No, but you're right in looking for a different meaning of one of those words in particular
If so, is any holy association relevant? Not an expert but I know that the fish is a symbol for Christ. Is it relevant? Something connected to the multiplication of loaves and fishes?
Feast of the Seven Fishes relevant?
No to all
Balin

Postby Earnest » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:54 pm

No, but you're right in looking for a different meaning of one of those words in particular ----> jigs? reels? I suppose that being a Christmas puzzle something typical needs to be discovered right? If so, does it involve mainly nativity scene? Christmas lunch? Christmas eve? Christmas tree? Christmas food? Decorations? Santa? mistletoe? A christmas story (Grinch?)

Possible meanings: film reel? jig saw = puzzle (advent calendar?)? jig = mask?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:44 pm

I suppose that being a Christmas puzzle something typical needs to be discovered right? Yes, and you have just discovered it.

Possible meanings: film reel? Yes.

This is the LTPF Christmas Film Festival.

Several well-known Christmas films and TV specials have been lovingly transferred onto old film reels for your entertaining pleasure. Unfortunately, they have been haphazardly labeled and stuck in cardboard boxes along with everything your parents thought they threw away but have kept in the attic for years without realizing it.

You know you have all the films in these boxes - there are about twenty, give or take a couple - but deciphering the labels may take time. Fortunately, you have the lateral minds of the LTPF to give aid.

The first reel is lying right on top of the box. It is labeled with one of those paper name tags, the kind that are pre-printed with the message "Hello my name is." The name on the tag is "Reuben Button."
Balin

Postby Enjay » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:20 pm

So "Reuben Button" is a lateral clue to the name of a Christmas film or TV episode?
Is the biblical character Reuben relevant? Another person called Reuben?The word Reuben itself? Reuben sandwiches?
Enjay

Postby Earnest » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:24 pm

So Balin, we need to figure out the name of the film reel labeles Reuben button and once we have it we need to deciphrize others? I mean the context is relevant or we just need to discover what Reuben button stands for?

Is a pun/anagram involved here? Splitting words might help? Reuben sandwich relevant? The ingredients? Swiss cheese? Corned beef? Sauerkraut? Russian dressing? Kulakofsky's weekly poker game  relevant?

Button = button of a shirt? Button as switch or key? Like key of a piano? A stopping button?

Reuben = a man? A band? Song "Christmas is awsome" relevant?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:08 pm

So "Reuben Button" is a lateral clue to the name of a Christmas film or TV episode? Yes (well, "TV special," not so much "TV episode")
Is the biblical character Reuben relevant? Another person called Reuben? The word Reuben itself? Reuben sandwiches? This; No to rest

So Balin, we need to figure out the name of the film reel labeles Reuben button and once we have it we need to deciphrize others? I mean the context is relevant or we just need to discover what Reuben button stands for? As above, the name tag with "Reuben Button" on it is a lateral clue to a Christmas film or TV special. The connection is usually a couple steps - it may be shorter, it may be longer, but there is a logical, lateral connection.
Here's an example from the 2009 puzzle (an advent calendar where each page had a connection to something Christmas-related): The picture was "a Bible open at a passage from the Old Testament." The passage was "What hath God wrought?" from the book of Numbers; that passage was the first telegraph message; the British newspaper The Daily Telegraph was founded by Colonel Arthur B. Sleigh.
That's the type of connection that will be in this puzzle as well.

Is a pun/anagram involved here? Not here Splitting words might help? No Reuben sandwich relevant? Yes The ingredients? Yes, specifically... Swiss cheese? Corned beef? Sauerkraut? ...this Russian dressing? Kulakofsky's weekly poker game relevant? No

Button = button of a shirt? Button as switch or key? Like key of a piano? A stopping button? None of these

Reuben = a man? A band? Song "Christmas is awsome" relevant? No to these either
Balin

Postby Earnest » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:15 am

Germany relevant? "Liberty cabbage" name? Its meaning as sour herb" or "sour cabbage"? Its usage in german kitchen? Is the fact that James cook took alwats sauerkraut on his voyages? Oktoberfest relevant? Is a specific regional variety relevant?

Or button is connected to the lateral meaning of Reuben as sauerkraut? Relevant that Button has capital B? Like a surname? A name? Like Benjamin Button? The curious case of Benjamin Button relevant? The story of Benjamin? Ages in reverse? Brad Pitt? Just the title? E.g. the part "the curious case of..."?

ReCap: Reuben = sauerkraut and Button = Benjamin Button?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:06 pm

Germany relevant? "Liberty cabbage" name? Its meaning as sour herb" or "sour cabbage"? Its usage in german kitchen? Is the fact that James cook took alwats sauerkraut on his voyages? Oktoberfest relevant? Is a specific regional variety relevant? All very nice guesses, but No to all

Or button is connected to the lateral meaning of Reuben as sauerkraut? Relevant that Button has capital B? Like a surname? A name? Like Benjamin Button? The curious case of Benjamin Button relevant? The story of Benjamin? Ages in reverse? Brad Pitt? Just the title? E.g. the part "the curious case of..."? Again, nice ideas, but No's all around

ReCap: Reuben = sauerkraut Yes and Button = Benjamin Button? No
Balin

Postby Enjay » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:24 pm

Is the "Hello my name is" part of the label relevant? Or just the words reuben button?

Does Reuben lead to one word and button to another, which make up the film name? Or do they together lead to the name?

Is sauerkraut the only part of the sandwich that is relevant? Are any of the following relevant about sauerkraut: the fact it is fermented? The fact it is made from cabbage? The word itself? The fact "kraut" was used as slang for a German person? Other dishes containing sauerkraut? Other similar foodstuffs? Other words for sauerkraut?
Enjay

Postby Balin » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:39 pm

Is the "Hello my name is" part of the label relevant? No Or just the words reuben button? Yes

Does Reuben lead to one word and button to another Yes which make up the film name? No Or do they together lead to the name? They together lead to something which isn't the film name

Is sauerkraut the only part of the sandwich that is relevant? Yes Are any of the following relevant about sauerkraut: the fact it is fermented? The fact it is made from cabbage? The word itself? The fact "kraut" was used as slang for a German person? Other dishes containing sauerkraut? Other similar foodstuffs? Other words for sauerkraut? Comprehensive list, but none of them are relevant
Balin

Postby Earnest » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:09 pm

oh God...I was so proud of me...Balin you destroyed my believes xD joking ;)

ok then...Button is NOT a surname/name right? (e.g. Jenson Button)
is a button on a screen? Like the "submit" buttons? I assume that a general rule is to avoid questions about the google search of the word "button" right? But may I ask something like: if I wanted to google it properly (to find the desired definition for the purposes of the puzzle), do I need to write it down as "Button"? "button"? But-ton"? "B-Utton"? Are we looking for a "wikipedia" or "dictionary" definition of button?
button = the game? Button (curling), the center of the playing surface in the sport of curling?
Button (poker) a marker indicating which player is currently the dealer?
Button (game), a computer game?
The Button (Reddit), a meta-game and social experiment?

A place?:
Button Township, Ford County, Illinois, United States?
Button Bay, Lake Champlain, Vermont, United States?
Button Islands, Nunavut, Canada?
The Buttons, Argentine islands?
Button Island (Massachusetts), United States?

Plants or animals relevant?
Buttons (plant), several genera of plants in the family Asteraceae?
Button mushroom, sometimes shortened to just "button"?
Button, the initial segment formed in the development of a rattlesnake's rattle?

Others?
Cadbury Buttons, packets of button-shaped pieces of chocolate sold in the UK?
Button baronets, an extinct title (1622–1712) in the Baronetage of England?
The Button (sculpture), on the campus of the University of Pennsylvania?
Button railway station? Button, Manitoba, Canada?

Sorry for the copied list...
Earnest

Postby Balin » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:54 pm

oh God...I was so proud of me...Balin you destroyed my believes xD joking ;) It's an inevitability in these puzzles that

ok then...Button is NOT a surname/name right? [b]Right
(e.g. Jenson Button) So not this
is a button on a screen? Like the "submit" buttons? No, clever idea though
I assume that a general rule is to avoid questions about the google search of the word "button" right? In general But may I ask something like: if I wanted to google it properly (to find the desired definition for the purposes of the puzzle), do I need to write it down as "Button"? "button"? Either of these two. It's not a proper now but it'd probably show up if you Googled it capitalized But-ton"? "B-Utton"?
Are we looking for a "wikipedia" or "dictionary" definition of button? See below

button = the game? Button (curling), the center of the playing surface in the sport of curling?
Button (poker) a marker indicating which player is currently the dealer?
Button (game), a computer game?
The Button (Reddit), a meta-game and social experiment?
A place?:
Button Township, Ford County, Illinois, United States?
Button Bay, Lake Champlain, Vermont, United States?
Button Islands, Nunavut, Canada?
The Buttons, Argentine islands?
Button Island (Massachusetts), United States?
Plants or animals relevant?
Buttons (plant), several genera of plants in the family Asteraceae?
Button mushroom, sometimes shortened to just "button"? This; No to everything else in this list
Button, the initial segment formed in the development of a rattlesnake's rattle?
Others?
Cadbury Buttons, packets of button-shaped pieces of chocolate sold in the UK?
Button baronets, an extinct title (1622–1712) in the Baronetage of England?
The Button (sculpture), on the campus of the University of Pennsylvania?
Button railway station? Button, Manitoba, Canada?

Sorry for the copied list... No worries; I used a lot of searching to come up with a few of these connections...
Balin

Postby Enjay » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:04 pm

OK...so "reuben button" --> "sauerkraut mushroom"? Is that one step of the connection?

Googling those words brings up a lot of recipes for pierogi dumplings - relevant? Poland relevant?
Enjay

Postby Balin » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:08 am

OK...so "reuben button" --> "sauerkraut Yes mushroomKeep going "? Is that one step of the connection? That's one step for each word

Googling those words brings up a lot of recipes for pierogi dumplings - relevant? Poland relevant? No, although I did spend a good chunk of yesterday helping make a few hundred pierogis
Balin

Postby peter365 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:42 pm

Hi Balin (congrats on keeping a great tradition alive).

We need to go further on mushroom yes ? fungi? a play on 'fun guy'?
peter365

Postby Earnest » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:40 pm

Is there a pun on sauerkraut? German industrialist Shulz relevant? Sauerkraut is the composition of two German words (sauer and kraut) right? Is the translation in english relevant? Like sour cabbage? Sour herb? Is the relevant connection in one of the wikipedia panels for sauerkraut? Can we figure it out just reasoning on the word sauerkraut itself?
Earnest

Postby Acridian9 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:17 pm

"Weird Al" Yankovic's song "Albuquerque" relavant?
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:03 pm

Hi Balin (congrats on keeping a great tradition alive). In the words of every Chick-fil-A employee: my pleasure.

We need to go further on mushroom yes ? Yes fungi? a play on 'fun guy'? But not this

Is there a pun on sauerkraut? No German industrialist Shulz relevant? No Sauerkraut is the composition of two German words (sauer and kraut) right? That may be so but it's not relevant Is the translation in english relevant? No, but a good idea Like sour cabbage? Sour herb? Is the relevant connection in one of the wikipedia panels for sauerkraut? No Can we figure it out just reasoning on the word sauerkraut itself? The word "sauerkraut" plus what you need to figure out from "mushroom"

"Weird Al" Yankovic's song "Albuquerque" relavant? Unfortunately no
Balin

Postby Enjay » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:11 pm

Does the relevant mushroom link relate to mushrooms as a food? Inedible mushrooms? Poisonous mushrooms? Mushroom cloud relevant? Toadstools? The colour of mushrooms? A pun on "much room"?
Enjay

Postby Balin » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:34 pm

Does the relevant mushroom link relate to mushrooms as a food? Inedible mushrooms? Poisonous mushrooms? Mushroom cloud relevant? Toadstools? This and this alone The colour of mushrooms? A pun on "much room"?
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:38 am

Translation of sauerkraut in another languadge relevant? If so, French choucroute?
Any of the words toad, stool, tool, couch, route relevant?
Acridian9

Postby Earnest » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:47 am

is the name of a specific mushroom relevant? a specific part of a mushroom? a synonym of mushroom? etymology of mushroom? edible mushroom? toxic mushroom? antibiotic, antiviral, or bioluminescent mushroom? Fliegenpilz? flies' mushroom'? German folklore relevant? polish recipe relevant? a recipe in general? Gombaleves which is a Christmas soup in Ungary? Another Christmas recipe? By the way, the word soup made me think of Ratatouille...the movie of the mouse...is it somehow involved?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:34 pm

Translation of sauerkraut in another languadge relevant? No If so, French choucroute?
Any of the words toad, stool, tool, couch, route relevant? No

is the name of a specific mushroom relevant? Only the word "toadstool" a specific part of a mushroom? a synonym of mushroom? etymology of mushroom? edible mushroom? toxic mushroom? antibiotic, antiviral, or bioluminescent mushroom? Fliegenpilz? flies' mushroom'? German folklore relevant? polish recipe relevant? a recipe in general? Gombaleves which is a Christmas soup in Ungary? Another Christmas recipe? By the way, the word soup made me think of Ratatouille...the movie of the mouse...is it somehow involved? Very full list, but No to all of these

(To keep this moving, and because there are quite a few films in here, I'm going to pull out another reel each day.)

Let's see... There's a lot of random leftover items in here... old books, a weird lamp, some clothes, cremated ashes... But that one sweater, a blue-and-orange thing with the number 80 on the back, felt lumpy. Unwrapping it, you find an unlabeled film reel.
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:53 pm

The song "You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch" relevant? if so, is it "How the Grinch Stole Christmas!"?
Acridian9

Postby Earnest » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:25 pm

Unlabelled = with a label cointaing no names? A completely empty label? Without label at all?
Relevant the thing in which it was wrapped?
Just a question...if I remember correctly it is possible to see the pictures on the reel right? Is that allowed?

Is the fact that the reel is unlabelled a clue per se? Like suggesting "no named","unlabelled", "unpronunciable", "untitled","no needs to be named", "no clues", "no clue"? Do we need to find its label? Is there something written elsewhere? Is "hello my name is" the clue? The color white of the empty label if one? The number 80?
Earnest

Postby Acridian9 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:02 pm

Is the sweater from a sport team? If yes, Denver Broncos, Chicago Bears, New York Knicks, New York Mets?
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:35 am

The song "You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch" relevant? if so, is it "How the Grinch Stole Christmas!"? Yes. Hopefully you have never had to sample a three-decker sauerkraut and toadstool sandwich.

The first reel is indeed the animated classic How the Grinch Stole Christmas, an excellent start to the film festival so the kids can get a good night's rest, with visions of their presents disappearing dancing in their heads. Perhaps that's not the best vision to fall asleep to.

Unlabelled = with a label cointaing no names? A completely empty label? Without label at all? This
Relevant the thing in which it was wrapped? Yes
Just a question...if I remember correctly it is possible to see the pictures on the reel right? Is that allowed? It is not possible, so it matters not if it is allowed

Is the fact that the reel is unlabelled a clue per se? No Like suggesting "no named","unlabelled", "unpronunciable", "untitled","no needs to be named", "no clues", "no clue"? No Do we need to find its label? No Is there something written elsewhere? No Is "hello my name is" the clue? No, the clue with the nametag has been solved and can be moved on from The color white of the empty label if one? No The number 80? Yes

Is the sweater from a sport team? Yes If yes, Denver Broncos, Chicago Bears, New York Knicks, New York Mets? None of these; the sleeves are too long to be a football, basketball, or baseball jersey
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:52 am

Is it a hockey team? If yes, from USA? Canada?
Is it a soccer team? If yes, from Europe? South America? From [list of other continents]?
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:23 am

Is it a hockey team? Yes but beware FA If yes, from USA? This Canada?
Is it a soccer team? Therefore No If yes, from Europe? South America? From [list of other continents]?
Balin

Postby Earnest » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:53 am

Ok...female hockey?ice hockey? Relevant the team to which it belongs to? List of american hockey teams.
Nik Antropov relevant? Well not really an expert in hockey...but I think the wisest thing to do in those kind of situations is to look at the "References" or "External links" page of wikipedia referred to the thing you don't know...so to avoid long lists...if Nik Antropov is the right clue is any of the references of him in wikipedia page relevant? Again sorry for it
Earnest

Postby Acridian9 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:08 am

NHL? Oilers? Islanders?
Kevin Weekes relevant?
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:00 pm

Ok...female hockey? No ice hockey? Yes Relevant the team to which it belongs to? Yes List of american hockey teams. See below
Nik Antropov relevant? No Well not really an expert in hockey...but I think the wisest thing to do in those kind of situations is to look at the "References" or "External links" page of wikipedia referred to the thing you don't know...so to avoid long lists...if Nik Antropov is the right clue is any of the references of him in wikipedia page relevant? No Again sorry for it

NHL? No, FA cleared Oilers? Islanders? Neither
Kevin Weekes relevant? No

Shoving your hand into another box, you pull out a reel. This one is labeled with a small drawing - the outline of a castle on a floating cloud, with a large flower in front of it.

NHL? Oilers? Islanders?
Kevin Weekes relevant?
Balin

Postby peter365 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:42 am

Is the song Castles in the Air relevant? Do we need to establish the type of flower?

I know nothing about hockey i'm afraid but I'm guessing that it's a college player?
peter365

Postby Balin » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:33 pm

Is the song Castles in the Air relevant? No Do we need to establish the type of flower? No

I know nothing about hockey i'm afraid but I'm guessing that it's a college player? It is a college, but not a specific player

You spot one reel almost falling out of the box, and snatch that one up. This one is labeled with a sketch of a man with a telescope.
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:19 pm

Is the castle a real one? (it seams there is one in Japan that 'floats' on a cloud)
Jack and the Beanstalk relevant?

For the college: Auburn? University of Virginia? University of Texas? Texas-El Paso? Syracuse? Louisiana? University of Illinois? Boise State? University of Florida? California State? University of Virginia?
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:33 pm

Is the castle a real one? No (as far as I know; I could be wrong) (it seams there is one in Japan that 'floats' on a cloud) Fascinating! But not the one on the reel.
Jack and the Beanstalk relevant? No

For the college: Auburn? University of Virginia? University of Texas? Texas-El Paso? Syracuse? Louisiana? University of Illinois? Boise State? University of Florida? This California State? University of Virginia?
Balin

Postby Enjay » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:35 am

Is the song "Castle on a Cloud" relevant? Les Miserables relevant?

For the jersey, is the word "Gators" relevant? Alligators relevant?
Enjay

Postby Balin » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:48 pm

Is the song "Castle on a Cloud" relevant? Les Miserables relevant? As much as I like Les Mis, No

For the jersey, is the word "Gators" relevant? Alligators relevant? No to both
Balin

Postby Balin » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:50 pm

The next reel in the box has the words "fruit bat" written on it.
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:09 pm

So, is Florida one of the words we have to elaborate? Is the other related to the number 80?
Or, is the number 80 related to Florida? Like, State Route 80 in Florida?

A particular Florida town or county relavant? Sunshine state? Disney World? Universal Studios? Epcot Center? Kennedy Space Center? Another place in Florida? Something produced in Florida? Someone from Florida?

Is the "bat" a stick or a mammal? If a stick, from a sport? if a mammal, a flying fox?
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:14 pm

So, is Florida one of the words we have to elaborate? This particular clue can be split into "University of Florida" and "hockey, 80" Is the other related to the number 80? See previous
Or, is the number 80 related to Florida? No Like, State Route 80 in Florida? So no

A particular Florida town or county relavant? Yes Sunshine state? No Disney World? Not to this clue... Universal Studios? Epcot Center? Kennedy Space Center? None of these Another place in Florida? Yes Something produced in Florida? No Someone from Florida? No

Is the "bat" a stick or a mammal? Mammal If a stick, from a sport? No if a mammal, a flying fox? Yes, and that is exactly the wording you need to focus on
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:32 am

Gainesville relevant? 34th Street?
Does 80 refers to 1980? If so to the "miracle" by USA hockey team in the Olympics?
Is the film Miracle on 34th Street?

Relevant that flying foxes live on Christmas island?
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:48 am

Gainesville relevant? 34th Street?
Does 80 refers to 1980? If so to the "miracle" by USA hockey team in the Olympics?
Is the film Miracle on 34th Street?

This is all exactly correct, well done.

The 1980 "Miracle on Ice" by the U.S. Olympic hockey team (dramatized in the 2004 film MIracle) and the 34th Street Wall in Gainesville, Florida, home of the Gators, indeed give us the 1947 classic Miracle on 34th Street, next in the lineup.

Relevant that flying foxes live on Christmas island? No, but a very nice guess
Balin

Postby Balin » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:22 pm

The next reel is labeled with the title "Traffic jam."
Balin

Postby Earnest » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:56 pm

Should theis be split into two words: "traffic" and "jam"? Like "jam" of micheal jackson relevant? Jam = joint admission test? type of fruit preserve?A firearm malfunctionImprovise music -( Jam sessionBlock signals) relevant? Radio jammingRadar relevant? jamming and deceptionMobile phone? jammerEcholocation jamming? Jam a person called jam? A place called jam? An organisation? The title of a song?
Traffic = a band? Traffic on streets?

Or is it "traffic jam" in its main definition (situation in which road traffic accumulates until it is stationary or very slow?)? Traffic jam by james taylor?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:43 pm

Should theis be split into two words: "traffic" and "jam"? Like "jam" of micheal jackson relevant? Jam = joint admission test? type of fruit preserve?A firearm malfunctionImprovise music -( Jam sessionBlock signals) relevant? Radio jammingRadar relevant? jamming and deceptionMobile phone? jammerEcholocation jamming? Jam a person called jam? A place called jam? An organisation? The title of a song?
Traffic = a band? Traffic on streets?

Or is it "traffic jam" in its main definition (situation in which road traffic accumulates until it is stationary or very slow?)? This, so No to all of the above

Traffic jam by james taylor? No
Balin

Postby Earnest » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:34 pm

traffic jam implies horn? radio news? line? accident? cause of the traffic jam relevant? crossroads? Japan? Mumbai? Highway? traffic light? Train station? skip the line?
Earnest

Postby Acridian9 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:41 pm

Any of the following relvant to "flying fox": a fish? a horse? a zip-line? a ship? a novel?

Or to jut "fox": Fox Mulder? other fictional character? a person? a place? 20st Century Fox? a plane? the film itself?
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:44 pm

traffic jam implies horn? radio news? line? accident? cause of the traffic jam relevant? crossroads? Japan? Mumbai? Highway? traffic light? Train station? skip the line? None of these

Any of the following relvant to "flying fox": a fish? a horse? a zip-line? a ship? a novel? No to all

Or to jut "fox": Fox Mulder? No other fictional character? Another fictional character is involved, but for just "fox..." a person? ...Yes a place? No 20st Century Fox? No a plane? No the film itself? (What film?)
Balin

Postby Earnest » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:24 am

could it be "traffic congestion" instead of traffic jam? classifications of traffic jam relevant? If so, list of classifications. Pollution? Negative impacts? countermeasures to traffic jam? Parking? Supply and demand? Well also an italian movie is called "traffic jam"...so is it the case? Another movie? A book?

fox = Naruto Uzumaki? (joking) Relevant that Todd means "fox"? is he/she a character of a tv series? Of a movie? Robin hood involved(he was a fox in the Disney's cartoon)? "fox" is considered to be the surname/name of the character? His/her nature as a fantastic animal?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:00 pm

could it be "traffic congestion" instead of traffic jam? It could be. The words "traffic jam" aren't as necessary to this clue, but "traffic jam" works better
classifications of traffic jam relevant? If so, list of classifications. Pollution? Negative impacts? countermeasures to traffic jam? Parking? Supply and demand? Well also an italian movie is called "traffic jam"...so is it the case? Another movie? A book? No to all

fox = Naruto Uzumaki? (joking) No Relevant that Todd means "fox"? I didn't know that! (No) is he/she a character of a tv series? Of a movie? A certain character in a movie is relevant Robin hood involved(he was a fox in the Disney's cartoon)? No, but now I kinda wish I'd used that as the clue "fox" is considered to be the surname/name of the character? Not of the character... His/her nature as a fantastic animal? No

Digging deep into a box mostly filled with clothing, you find another reel. This one has a small photograph stuck to it. The photograph shows two women in dresses, each holding a candy bar in their left hand.
Balin

Postby Earnest » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:19 pm

Not of the character...--> of the actor? of the historical person represented by the character? (e.g. Rommel called "the desert fox"?)

the words "traffic jam" aren't as necessary to this clue, but "traffic jam" works better--> does it mean that something else is necessary? Like the place where they were? "traffic jam" is not a clue to other words or to understand the title of the movie? or does it mean that the clue needs to be found NOT in the words but in the MEANING of them? does it mean that the reel was taken during a journey? That it was filmed in traffic jam? Does it indicates what is registered on the reel? is a traditionally congested street involved in the title of the movie? "Christmas town"?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:16 am

Not of the character...--> of the actor? Yes of the historical person represented by the character? No
(e.g. Rommel called "the desert fox"?) No

the words "traffic jam" aren't as necessary to this clue, but "traffic jam" works better--> does it mean that something else is necessary? No Like the place where they were? No "traffic jam" is not a clue to other words or to understand the title of the movie? "traffic jam" is indeed a clue or does it mean that the clue needs to be found NOT in the words but in the MEANING of them? Yope
does it mean that the reel was taken during a journey? That it was filmed in traffic jam? Does it indicates what is registered on the reel? is a traditionally congested street involved in the title of the movie? "Christmas town"? No to these
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:52 am

Michael J. Fox? In Marty McFly fron Back to the Future? Family Ties relevant? The Michael J. Fox Show? Dickens of a Christmas?
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:23 pm

Michael J. Fox? Yes In Marty McFly fron Back to the Future? Yes Family Ties relevant? No The Michael J. Fox Show? No Dickens of a Christmas? No

Instead of a new reel today, I'll recap what's been done so far. (I'll do the same the next two Mondays.)

SOLVED:
Reuben Button nametag - Reuben sandwich has sauerkraut - button mushroom - "three-decker sauerkraut and toadstool sandwich" - How the Grinch Stole Christmas
long-sleeved blue and orange sweater with #80 on back - Florida Gators hockey sweater - 1980 Miracle on Ice - 34th Street Wall in Gainesville, FL - Miracle on 34th Street

IN PROGRESS:
the outline of a castle on a floating cloud, with a large flower in front of it
sketch of a man with a telescope
"fruit bat" - flying fox - Michael J. Fox as Marty McFly in Back to the Future
"traffic jam"
a photograph showing two women in dresses, each holding a candy bar in their left hand
Balin

Postby Balin » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:25 pm

The next reel removed from the box has the inscription "Matthew 7:14" written on it.
Balin

Postby peter365 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:46 am

Is Marty's journey in the De lorian where they 'don't need roads' relevant? That's the one at the beginning of BTTF II? Failing this is there a specific scene from the movies that we need to consider?

Does the traffic jam also refer to the BTTF movies?

Matthew 7:14 states 'But small is the gate and narrow the way that leads to life, and only a few find it' . Do we need to consider the quote as a whole? Or are some words more relevant than others?

Can i just ask about your definition of a Christmas Movie , there are some movies that are not Christmas themed but are always shown at Christmas and therefore i consider them to be Christmas movies. I'd put The Wizard of Oz and Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory in this bracket. Are they in scope?
peter365

Return to Active Lateral Thinking Puzzles