[Balin] Click your heels (an homage)

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[Balin] Click your heels (an homage)

Postby Balin » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:02 am

This is Balin’s ‘woubit’s Christmas puzzle’ for 2017. Proceed.

Instructions & background: For several years in the 2000s, forum member ‘woubit’ would run an annual Christmas puzzle; this is my homage.

This Christmas puzzle operates the same way as his did - the title provides a clue to what the actual puzzle is, and that puzzle has some sort of Christmas theme. (For example: the 2009 puzzle was called “There’s an old piano”; puzzlers first reasoned the continued lyric - “and they’re playing it hot behind the green door” - then deduced the green door was on an advent calendar.) To get an idea of how this will run, check out his puzzles: 2005’s, 2007’s, 2008’s, and 2009’s. They are very long (2007's is the shortest).

All forms of reference (and Internet searching) are acceptable.

At present, all you have to go on is the title. Good luck.
Balin

Re: [Balin] Click your heels (an homage)

Postby Earnest » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:06 am

Hey! So we need to figure out what the puzzle is starting from the clue "click your heels"? And...again sorry...but click the heels means make a sound with the fingers? Or make a sound with the shoes? Like in a movie...don't remember the name....basically if you clicked your heels 3 times something magic happened? Is it a song?

Click the heels = being happy? Marching? Dancing?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:49 pm

Hey! So we need to figure out what the puzzle is starting from the clue "click your heels"? Yes
And...again sorry...but click the heels means make a sound with the fingers? Or make a sound with the shoes? This
Like in a movie...don't remember the name....basically if you clicked your heels 3 times something magic happened? You're thinking of The Wizard of Oz, and while that is the most notable instance of clicking heels, it is not the one the title is referencing.
Is it a song? It is, yes

Click the heels = being happy? Marching? Dancing? This
Balin

Postby Earnest » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:18 pm

Is this the lyric of a song? A typical move performed during a dance? I mean a move which is so typical that authomatically give us the name of the dance or the name of the song? Do we need to figure out the name of the song? The song next verse? The chorus? A specific part of a song? A christmas song? Written in 2000s? After? List of years from 2000 to 2017 (can i do that?...sorry I hate lists...but I'm forced to invoke it)
Earnest

Postby Balin » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:21 pm

Is this the lyric of a song? Yes
A typical move performed during a dance? I don't actually know, so Irrel I mean a move which is so typical that authomatically give us the name of the dance or the name of the song? Same as previous
Do we need to figure out the name of the song? It may help The song next verse? Not this, but... The chorus? No A specific part of a song? Yes A christmas song? Yes (but the main puzzle is not about Christmas songs; that was the 2007 puzzle)
Written in 2000s? After? Earlier List of years from 2000 to 2017 (can i do that?...sorry I hate lists...but I'm forced to invoke it) I'll allow it because it's such a short period of time. None of them
Balin

Postby Grouffe » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:46 pm

A prewar song? Any Fred Astaire or Ginger Rogers involved here?
Grouffe

Postby Earnest » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:54 pm

Is the song "Christmas in Killarney"? Did it become famous in list of years between 1970 and 2000?

Is the puzzle mainly on the title of the song? On a verse? Tip tap relevant? Is it an american song? Sang by a famous singer like Elvis? Michael Jackson? Is the relevant part about spmething done in Christmas? A dance? Shoes? Like Footlose? Is this song part of a musical? Part of a compilation? Is it typically performed in advertisment? Is it heard typically in christmas time also in 2015? 2016? Every year like a typical song?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:52 pm

A prewar song? No Any Fred Astaire or Ginger Rogers involved here? No, sorry

Is the song "Christmas in Killarney"? Yes

Did it become famous in list of years between 1970 and 2000? See above

Is the puzzle mainly on the title of the song? On a verse? The clue is in one of the lyrics

Is the relevant part about something done in Christmas? Yes, tangentially A dance? That's what it is in the line of the song Shoes? No

Tip tap relevant? Is it an american song? Sang by a famous singer like Elvis? Michael Jackson? Is this song part of a musical? Like Footlose? Part of a compilation? Is it typically performed in advertisment? Is it heard typically in christmas time also in 2015? 2016? Every year like a typical song? Since you have identified the song, that should answer these
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:49 pm

Only a part of the next verse relevant? If yes, "jigs and reels" (which rhymes with click your heels)? Other Scottish dances relevant?
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:52 am

Only a part of the next verse relevant? Yes If yes, "jigs and reels" (which rhymes with click your heels)? The exact line, Yes Other Scottish dances relevant? No
Balin

Postby Earnest » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:02 am

is fishing relevant? jigs = synonym for lure and reel in fishing?
If so, is any holy association relevant? Not an expert but I know that the fish is a symbol for Christ. Is it relevant? Something connected to the multiplication of loaves and fishes?

Feast of the Seven Fishes relevant?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:09 pm

is fishing relevant? jigs = synonym for lure and reel in fishing? No, but you're right in looking for a different meaning of one of those words in particular
If so, is any holy association relevant? Not an expert but I know that the fish is a symbol for Christ. Is it relevant? Something connected to the multiplication of loaves and fishes?
Feast of the Seven Fishes relevant?
No to all
Balin

Postby Earnest » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:54 pm

No, but you're right in looking for a different meaning of one of those words in particular ----> jigs? reels? I suppose that being a Christmas puzzle something typical needs to be discovered right? If so, does it involve mainly nativity scene? Christmas lunch? Christmas eve? Christmas tree? Christmas food? Decorations? Santa? mistletoe? A christmas story (Grinch?)

Possible meanings: film reel? jig saw = puzzle (advent calendar?)? jig = mask?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:44 pm

I suppose that being a Christmas puzzle something typical needs to be discovered right? Yes, and you have just discovered it.

Possible meanings: film reel? Yes.

This is the LTPF Christmas Film Festival.

Several well-known Christmas films and TV specials have been lovingly transferred onto old film reels for your entertaining pleasure. Unfortunately, they have been haphazardly labeled and stuck in cardboard boxes along with everything your parents thought they threw away but have kept in the attic for years without realizing it.

You know you have all the films in these boxes - there are about twenty, give or take a couple - but deciphering the labels may take time. Fortunately, you have the lateral minds of the LTPF to give aid.

The first reel is lying right on top of the box. It is labeled with one of those paper name tags, the kind that are pre-printed with the message "Hello my name is." The name on the tag is "Reuben Button."
Balin

Postby Enjay » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:20 pm

So "Reuben Button" is a lateral clue to the name of a Christmas film or TV episode?
Is the biblical character Reuben relevant? Another person called Reuben?The word Reuben itself? Reuben sandwiches?
Enjay

Postby Earnest » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:24 pm

So Balin, we need to figure out the name of the film reel labeles Reuben button and once we have it we need to deciphrize others? I mean the context is relevant or we just need to discover what Reuben button stands for?

Is a pun/anagram involved here? Splitting words might help? Reuben sandwich relevant? The ingredients? Swiss cheese? Corned beef? Sauerkraut? Russian dressing? Kulakofsky's weekly poker game  relevant?

Button = button of a shirt? Button as switch or key? Like key of a piano? A stopping button?

Reuben = a man? A band? Song "Christmas is awsome" relevant?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:08 pm

So "Reuben Button" is a lateral clue to the name of a Christmas film or TV episode? Yes (well, "TV special," not so much "TV episode")
Is the biblical character Reuben relevant? Another person called Reuben? The word Reuben itself? Reuben sandwiches? This; No to rest

So Balin, we need to figure out the name of the film reel labeles Reuben button and once we have it we need to deciphrize others? I mean the context is relevant or we just need to discover what Reuben button stands for? As above, the name tag with "Reuben Button" on it is a lateral clue to a Christmas film or TV special. The connection is usually a couple steps - it may be shorter, it may be longer, but there is a logical, lateral connection.
Here's an example from the 2009 puzzle (an advent calendar where each page had a connection to something Christmas-related): The picture was "a Bible open at a passage from the Old Testament." The passage was "What hath God wrought?" from the book of Numbers; that passage was the first telegraph message; the British newspaper The Daily Telegraph was founded by Colonel Arthur B. Sleigh.
That's the type of connection that will be in this puzzle as well.

Is a pun/anagram involved here? Not here Splitting words might help? No Reuben sandwich relevant? Yes The ingredients? Yes, specifically... Swiss cheese? Corned beef? Sauerkraut? ...this Russian dressing? Kulakofsky's weekly poker game relevant? No

Button = button of a shirt? Button as switch or key? Like key of a piano? A stopping button? None of these

Reuben = a man? A band? Song "Christmas is awsome" relevant? No to these either
Balin

Postby Earnest » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:15 am

Germany relevant? "Liberty cabbage" name? Its meaning as sour herb" or "sour cabbage"? Its usage in german kitchen? Is the fact that James cook took alwats sauerkraut on his voyages? Oktoberfest relevant? Is a specific regional variety relevant?

Or button is connected to the lateral meaning of Reuben as sauerkraut? Relevant that Button has capital B? Like a surname? A name? Like Benjamin Button? The curious case of Benjamin Button relevant? The story of Benjamin? Ages in reverse? Brad Pitt? Just the title? E.g. the part "the curious case of..."?

ReCap: Reuben = sauerkraut and Button = Benjamin Button?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:06 pm

Germany relevant? "Liberty cabbage" name? Its meaning as sour herb" or "sour cabbage"? Its usage in german kitchen? Is the fact that James cook took alwats sauerkraut on his voyages? Oktoberfest relevant? Is a specific regional variety relevant? All very nice guesses, but No to all

Or button is connected to the lateral meaning of Reuben as sauerkraut? Relevant that Button has capital B? Like a surname? A name? Like Benjamin Button? The curious case of Benjamin Button relevant? The story of Benjamin? Ages in reverse? Brad Pitt? Just the title? E.g. the part "the curious case of..."? Again, nice ideas, but No's all around

ReCap: Reuben = sauerkraut Yes and Button = Benjamin Button? No
Balin

Postby Enjay » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:24 pm

Is the "Hello my name is" part of the label relevant? Or just the words reuben button?

Does Reuben lead to one word and button to another, which make up the film name? Or do they together lead to the name?

Is sauerkraut the only part of the sandwich that is relevant? Are any of the following relevant about sauerkraut: the fact it is fermented? The fact it is made from cabbage? The word itself? The fact "kraut" was used as slang for a German person? Other dishes containing sauerkraut? Other similar foodstuffs? Other words for sauerkraut?
Enjay

Postby Balin » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:39 pm

Is the "Hello my name is" part of the label relevant? No Or just the words reuben button? Yes

Does Reuben lead to one word and button to another Yes which make up the film name? No Or do they together lead to the name? They together lead to something which isn't the film name

Is sauerkraut the only part of the sandwich that is relevant? Yes Are any of the following relevant about sauerkraut: the fact it is fermented? The fact it is made from cabbage? The word itself? The fact "kraut" was used as slang for a German person? Other dishes containing sauerkraut? Other similar foodstuffs? Other words for sauerkraut? Comprehensive list, but none of them are relevant
Balin

Postby Earnest » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:09 pm

oh God...I was so proud of me...Balin you destroyed my believes xD joking ;)

ok then...Button is NOT a surname/name right? (e.g. Jenson Button)
is a button on a screen? Like the "submit" buttons? I assume that a general rule is to avoid questions about the google search of the word "button" right? But may I ask something like: if I wanted to google it properly (to find the desired definition for the purposes of the puzzle), do I need to write it down as "Button"? "button"? But-ton"? "B-Utton"? Are we looking for a "wikipedia" or "dictionary" definition of button?
button = the game? Button (curling), the center of the playing surface in the sport of curling?
Button (poker) a marker indicating which player is currently the dealer?
Button (game), a computer game?
The Button (Reddit), a meta-game and social experiment?

A place?:
Button Township, Ford County, Illinois, United States?
Button Bay, Lake Champlain, Vermont, United States?
Button Islands, Nunavut, Canada?
The Buttons, Argentine islands?
Button Island (Massachusetts), United States?

Plants or animals relevant?
Buttons (plant), several genera of plants in the family Asteraceae?
Button mushroom, sometimes shortened to just "button"?
Button, the initial segment formed in the development of a rattlesnake's rattle?

Others?
Cadbury Buttons, packets of button-shaped pieces of chocolate sold in the UK?
Button baronets, an extinct title (1622–1712) in the Baronetage of England?
The Button (sculpture), on the campus of the University of Pennsylvania?
Button railway station? Button, Manitoba, Canada?

Sorry for the copied list...
Earnest

Postby Balin » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:54 pm

oh God...I was so proud of me...Balin you destroyed my believes xD joking ;) It's an inevitability in these puzzles that

ok then...Button is NOT a surname/name right? [b]Right
(e.g. Jenson Button) So not this
is a button on a screen? Like the "submit" buttons? No, clever idea though
I assume that a general rule is to avoid questions about the google search of the word "button" right? In general But may I ask something like: if I wanted to google it properly (to find the desired definition for the purposes of the puzzle), do I need to write it down as "Button"? "button"? Either of these two. It's not a proper now but it'd probably show up if you Googled it capitalized But-ton"? "B-Utton"?
Are we looking for a "wikipedia" or "dictionary" definition of button? See below

button = the game? Button (curling), the center of the playing surface in the sport of curling?
Button (poker) a marker indicating which player is currently the dealer?
Button (game), a computer game?
The Button (Reddit), a meta-game and social experiment?
A place?:
Button Township, Ford County, Illinois, United States?
Button Bay, Lake Champlain, Vermont, United States?
Button Islands, Nunavut, Canada?
The Buttons, Argentine islands?
Button Island (Massachusetts), United States?
Plants or animals relevant?
Buttons (plant), several genera of plants in the family Asteraceae?
Button mushroom, sometimes shortened to just "button"? This; No to everything else in this list
Button, the initial segment formed in the development of a rattlesnake's rattle?
Others?
Cadbury Buttons, packets of button-shaped pieces of chocolate sold in the UK?
Button baronets, an extinct title (1622–1712) in the Baronetage of England?
The Button (sculpture), on the campus of the University of Pennsylvania?
Button railway station? Button, Manitoba, Canada?

Sorry for the copied list... No worries; I used a lot of searching to come up with a few of these connections...
Balin

Postby Enjay » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:04 pm

OK...so "reuben button" --> "sauerkraut mushroom"? Is that one step of the connection?

Googling those words brings up a lot of recipes for pierogi dumplings - relevant? Poland relevant?
Enjay

Postby Balin » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:08 am

OK...so "reuben button" --> "sauerkraut Yes mushroomKeep going "? Is that one step of the connection? That's one step for each word

Googling those words brings up a lot of recipes for pierogi dumplings - relevant? Poland relevant? No, although I did spend a good chunk of yesterday helping make a few hundred pierogis
Balin

Postby peter365 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:42 pm

Hi Balin (congrats on keeping a great tradition alive).

We need to go further on mushroom yes ? fungi? a play on 'fun guy'?
peter365

Postby Earnest » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:40 pm

Is there a pun on sauerkraut? German industrialist Shulz relevant? Sauerkraut is the composition of two German words (sauer and kraut) right? Is the translation in english relevant? Like sour cabbage? Sour herb? Is the relevant connection in one of the wikipedia panels for sauerkraut? Can we figure it out just reasoning on the word sauerkraut itself?
Earnest

Postby Acridian9 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:17 pm

"Weird Al" Yankovic's song "Albuquerque" relavant?
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:03 pm

Hi Balin (congrats on keeping a great tradition alive). In the words of every Chick-fil-A employee: my pleasure.

We need to go further on mushroom yes ? Yes fungi? a play on 'fun guy'? But not this

Is there a pun on sauerkraut? No German industrialist Shulz relevant? No Sauerkraut is the composition of two German words (sauer and kraut) right? That may be so but it's not relevant Is the translation in english relevant? No, but a good idea Like sour cabbage? Sour herb? Is the relevant connection in one of the wikipedia panels for sauerkraut? No Can we figure it out just reasoning on the word sauerkraut itself? The word "sauerkraut" plus what you need to figure out from "mushroom"

"Weird Al" Yankovic's song "Albuquerque" relavant? Unfortunately no
Balin

Postby Enjay » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:11 pm

Does the relevant mushroom link relate to mushrooms as a food? Inedible mushrooms? Poisonous mushrooms? Mushroom cloud relevant? Toadstools? The colour of mushrooms? A pun on "much room"?
Enjay

Postby Balin » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:34 pm

Does the relevant mushroom link relate to mushrooms as a food? Inedible mushrooms? Poisonous mushrooms? Mushroom cloud relevant? Toadstools? This and this alone The colour of mushrooms? A pun on "much room"?
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:38 am

Translation of sauerkraut in another languadge relevant? If so, French choucroute?
Any of the words toad, stool, tool, couch, route relevant?
Acridian9

Postby Earnest » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:47 am

is the name of a specific mushroom relevant? a specific part of a mushroom? a synonym of mushroom? etymology of mushroom? edible mushroom? toxic mushroom? antibiotic, antiviral, or bioluminescent mushroom? Fliegenpilz? flies' mushroom'? German folklore relevant? polish recipe relevant? a recipe in general? Gombaleves which is a Christmas soup in Ungary? Another Christmas recipe? By the way, the word soup made me think of Ratatouille...the movie of the mouse...is it somehow involved?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:34 pm

Translation of sauerkraut in another languadge relevant? No If so, French choucroute?
Any of the words toad, stool, tool, couch, route relevant? No

is the name of a specific mushroom relevant? Only the word "toadstool" a specific part of a mushroom? a synonym of mushroom? etymology of mushroom? edible mushroom? toxic mushroom? antibiotic, antiviral, or bioluminescent mushroom? Fliegenpilz? flies' mushroom'? German folklore relevant? polish recipe relevant? a recipe in general? Gombaleves which is a Christmas soup in Ungary? Another Christmas recipe? By the way, the word soup made me think of Ratatouille...the movie of the mouse...is it somehow involved? Very full list, but No to all of these

(To keep this moving, and because there are quite a few films in here, I'm going to pull out another reel each day.)

Let's see... There's a lot of random leftover items in here... old books, a weird lamp, some clothes, cremated ashes... But that one sweater, a blue-and-orange thing with the number 80 on the back, felt lumpy. Unwrapping it, you find an unlabeled film reel.
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:53 pm

The song "You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch" relevant? if so, is it "How the Grinch Stole Christmas!"?
Acridian9

Postby Earnest » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:25 pm

Unlabelled = with a label cointaing no names? A completely empty label? Without label at all?
Relevant the thing in which it was wrapped?
Just a question...if I remember correctly it is possible to see the pictures on the reel right? Is that allowed?

Is the fact that the reel is unlabelled a clue per se? Like suggesting "no named","unlabelled", "unpronunciable", "untitled","no needs to be named", "no clues", "no clue"? Do we need to find its label? Is there something written elsewhere? Is "hello my name is" the clue? The color white of the empty label if one? The number 80?
Earnest

Postby Acridian9 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:02 pm

Is the sweater from a sport team? If yes, Denver Broncos, Chicago Bears, New York Knicks, New York Mets?
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:35 am

The song "You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch" relevant? if so, is it "How the Grinch Stole Christmas!"? Yes. Hopefully you have never had to sample a three-decker sauerkraut and toadstool sandwich.

The first reel is indeed the animated classic How the Grinch Stole Christmas, an excellent start to the film festival so the kids can get a good night's rest, with visions of their presents disappearing dancing in their heads. Perhaps that's not the best vision to fall asleep to.

Unlabelled = with a label cointaing no names? A completely empty label? Without label at all? This
Relevant the thing in which it was wrapped? Yes
Just a question...if I remember correctly it is possible to see the pictures on the reel right? Is that allowed? It is not possible, so it matters not if it is allowed

Is the fact that the reel is unlabelled a clue per se? No Like suggesting "no named","unlabelled", "unpronunciable", "untitled","no needs to be named", "no clues", "no clue"? No Do we need to find its label? No Is there something written elsewhere? No Is "hello my name is" the clue? No, the clue with the nametag has been solved and can be moved on from The color white of the empty label if one? No The number 80? Yes

Is the sweater from a sport team? Yes If yes, Denver Broncos, Chicago Bears, New York Knicks, New York Mets? None of these; the sleeves are too long to be a football, basketball, or baseball jersey
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:52 am

Is it a hockey team? If yes, from USA? Canada?
Is it a soccer team? If yes, from Europe? South America? From [list of other continents]?
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:23 am

Is it a hockey team? Yes but beware FA If yes, from USA? This Canada?
Is it a soccer team? Therefore No If yes, from Europe? South America? From [list of other continents]?
Balin

Postby Earnest » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:53 am

Ok...female hockey?ice hockey? Relevant the team to which it belongs to? List of american hockey teams.
Nik Antropov relevant? Well not really an expert in hockey...but I think the wisest thing to do in those kind of situations is to look at the "References" or "External links" page of wikipedia referred to the thing you don't know...so to avoid long lists...if Nik Antropov is the right clue is any of the references of him in wikipedia page relevant? Again sorry for it
Earnest

Postby Acridian9 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:08 am

NHL? Oilers? Islanders?
Kevin Weekes relevant?
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:00 pm

Ok...female hockey? No ice hockey? Yes Relevant the team to which it belongs to? Yes List of american hockey teams. See below
Nik Antropov relevant? No Well not really an expert in hockey...but I think the wisest thing to do in those kind of situations is to look at the "References" or "External links" page of wikipedia referred to the thing you don't know...so to avoid long lists...if Nik Antropov is the right clue is any of the references of him in wikipedia page relevant? No Again sorry for it

NHL? No, FA cleared Oilers? Islanders? Neither
Kevin Weekes relevant? No

Shoving your hand into another box, you pull out a reel. This one is labeled with a small drawing - the outline of a castle on a floating cloud, with a large flower in front of it.

NHL? Oilers? Islanders?
Kevin Weekes relevant?
Balin

Postby peter365 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:42 am

Is the song Castles in the Air relevant? Do we need to establish the type of flower?

I know nothing about hockey i'm afraid but I'm guessing that it's a college player?
peter365

Postby Balin » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:33 pm

Is the song Castles in the Air relevant? No Do we need to establish the type of flower? No

I know nothing about hockey i'm afraid but I'm guessing that it's a college player? It is a college, but not a specific player

You spot one reel almost falling out of the box, and snatch that one up. This one is labeled with a sketch of a man with a telescope.
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:19 pm

Is the castle a real one? (it seams there is one in Japan that 'floats' on a cloud)
Jack and the Beanstalk relevant?

For the college: Auburn? University of Virginia? University of Texas? Texas-El Paso? Syracuse? Louisiana? University of Illinois? Boise State? University of Florida? California State? University of Virginia?
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:33 pm

Is the castle a real one? No (as far as I know; I could be wrong) (it seams there is one in Japan that 'floats' on a cloud) Fascinating! But not the one on the reel.
Jack and the Beanstalk relevant? No

For the college: Auburn? University of Virginia? University of Texas? Texas-El Paso? Syracuse? Louisiana? University of Illinois? Boise State? University of Florida? This California State? University of Virginia?
Balin

Postby Enjay » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:35 am

Is the song "Castle on a Cloud" relevant? Les Miserables relevant?

For the jersey, is the word "Gators" relevant? Alligators relevant?
Enjay

Postby Balin » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:48 pm

Is the song "Castle on a Cloud" relevant? Les Miserables relevant? As much as I like Les Mis, No

For the jersey, is the word "Gators" relevant? Alligators relevant? No to both
Balin

Postby Balin » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:50 pm

The next reel in the box has the words "fruit bat" written on it.
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:09 pm

So, is Florida one of the words we have to elaborate? Is the other related to the number 80?
Or, is the number 80 related to Florida? Like, State Route 80 in Florida?

A particular Florida town or county relavant? Sunshine state? Disney World? Universal Studios? Epcot Center? Kennedy Space Center? Another place in Florida? Something produced in Florida? Someone from Florida?

Is the "bat" a stick or a mammal? If a stick, from a sport? if a mammal, a flying fox?
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:14 pm

So, is Florida one of the words we have to elaborate? This particular clue can be split into "University of Florida" and "hockey, 80" Is the other related to the number 80? See previous
Or, is the number 80 related to Florida? No Like, State Route 80 in Florida? So no

A particular Florida town or county relavant? Yes Sunshine state? No Disney World? Not to this clue... Universal Studios? Epcot Center? Kennedy Space Center? None of these Another place in Florida? Yes Something produced in Florida? No Someone from Florida? No

Is the "bat" a stick or a mammal? Mammal If a stick, from a sport? No if a mammal, a flying fox? Yes, and that is exactly the wording you need to focus on
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:32 am

Gainesville relevant? 34th Street?
Does 80 refers to 1980? If so to the "miracle" by USA hockey team in the Olympics?
Is the film Miracle on 34th Street?

Relevant that flying foxes live on Christmas island?
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:48 am

Gainesville relevant? 34th Street?
Does 80 refers to 1980? If so to the "miracle" by USA hockey team in the Olympics?
Is the film Miracle on 34th Street?

This is all exactly correct, well done.

The 1980 "Miracle on Ice" by the U.S. Olympic hockey team (dramatized in the 2004 film MIracle) and the 34th Street Wall in Gainesville, Florida, home of the Gators, indeed give us the 1947 classic Miracle on 34th Street, next in the lineup.

Relevant that flying foxes live on Christmas island? No, but a very nice guess
Balin

Postby Balin » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:22 pm

The next reel is labeled with the title "Traffic jam."
Balin

Postby Earnest » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:56 pm

Should theis be split into two words: "traffic" and "jam"? Like "jam" of micheal jackson relevant? Jam = joint admission test? type of fruit preserve?A firearm malfunctionImprovise music -( Jam sessionBlock signals) relevant? Radio jammingRadar relevant? jamming and deceptionMobile phone? jammerEcholocation jamming? Jam a person called jam? A place called jam? An organisation? The title of a song?
Traffic = a band? Traffic on streets?

Or is it "traffic jam" in its main definition (situation in which road traffic accumulates until it is stationary or very slow?)? Traffic jam by james taylor?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:43 pm

Should theis be split into two words: "traffic" and "jam"? Like "jam" of micheal jackson relevant? Jam = joint admission test? type of fruit preserve?A firearm malfunctionImprovise music -( Jam sessionBlock signals) relevant? Radio jammingRadar relevant? jamming and deceptionMobile phone? jammerEcholocation jamming? Jam a person called jam? A place called jam? An organisation? The title of a song?
Traffic = a band? Traffic on streets?

Or is it "traffic jam" in its main definition (situation in which road traffic accumulates until it is stationary or very slow?)? This, so No to all of the above

Traffic jam by james taylor? No
Balin

Postby Earnest » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:34 pm

traffic jam implies horn? radio news? line? accident? cause of the traffic jam relevant? crossroads? Japan? Mumbai? Highway? traffic light? Train station? skip the line?
Earnest

Postby Acridian9 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:41 pm

Any of the following relvant to "flying fox": a fish? a horse? a zip-line? a ship? a novel?

Or to jut "fox": Fox Mulder? other fictional character? a person? a place? 20st Century Fox? a plane? the film itself?
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:44 pm

traffic jam implies horn? radio news? line? accident? cause of the traffic jam relevant? crossroads? Japan? Mumbai? Highway? traffic light? Train station? skip the line? None of these

Any of the following relvant to "flying fox": a fish? a horse? a zip-line? a ship? a novel? No to all

Or to jut "fox": Fox Mulder? No other fictional character? Another fictional character is involved, but for just "fox..." a person? ...Yes a place? No 20st Century Fox? No a plane? No the film itself? (What film?)
Balin

Postby Earnest » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:24 am

could it be "traffic congestion" instead of traffic jam? classifications of traffic jam relevant? If so, list of classifications. Pollution? Negative impacts? countermeasures to traffic jam? Parking? Supply and demand? Well also an italian movie is called "traffic jam"...so is it the case? Another movie? A book?

fox = Naruto Uzumaki? (joking) Relevant that Todd means "fox"? is he/she a character of a tv series? Of a movie? Robin hood involved(he was a fox in the Disney's cartoon)? "fox" is considered to be the surname/name of the character? His/her nature as a fantastic animal?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:00 pm

could it be "traffic congestion" instead of traffic jam? It could be. The words "traffic jam" aren't as necessary to this clue, but "traffic jam" works better
classifications of traffic jam relevant? If so, list of classifications. Pollution? Negative impacts? countermeasures to traffic jam? Parking? Supply and demand? Well also an italian movie is called "traffic jam"...so is it the case? Another movie? A book? No to all

fox = Naruto Uzumaki? (joking) No Relevant that Todd means "fox"? I didn't know that! (No) is he/she a character of a tv series? Of a movie? A certain character in a movie is relevant Robin hood involved(he was a fox in the Disney's cartoon)? No, but now I kinda wish I'd used that as the clue "fox" is considered to be the surname/name of the character? Not of the character... His/her nature as a fantastic animal? No

Digging deep into a box mostly filled with clothing, you find another reel. This one has a small photograph stuck to it. The photograph shows two women in dresses, each holding a candy bar in their left hand.
Balin

Postby Earnest » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:19 pm

Not of the character...--> of the actor? of the historical person represented by the character? (e.g. Rommel called "the desert fox"?)

the words "traffic jam" aren't as necessary to this clue, but "traffic jam" works better--> does it mean that something else is necessary? Like the place where they were? "traffic jam" is not a clue to other words or to understand the title of the movie? or does it mean that the clue needs to be found NOT in the words but in the MEANING of them? does it mean that the reel was taken during a journey? That it was filmed in traffic jam? Does it indicates what is registered on the reel? is a traditionally congested street involved in the title of the movie? "Christmas town"?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:16 am

Not of the character...--> of the actor? Yes of the historical person represented by the character? No
(e.g. Rommel called "the desert fox"?) No

the words "traffic jam" aren't as necessary to this clue, but "traffic jam" works better--> does it mean that something else is necessary? No Like the place where they were? No "traffic jam" is not a clue to other words or to understand the title of the movie? "traffic jam" is indeed a clue or does it mean that the clue needs to be found NOT in the words but in the MEANING of them? Yope
does it mean that the reel was taken during a journey? That it was filmed in traffic jam? Does it indicates what is registered on the reel? is a traditionally congested street involved in the title of the movie? "Christmas town"? No to these
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:52 am

Michael J. Fox? In Marty McFly fron Back to the Future? Family Ties relevant? The Michael J. Fox Show? Dickens of a Christmas?
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:23 pm

Michael J. Fox? Yes In Marty McFly fron Back to the Future? Yes Family Ties relevant? No The Michael J. Fox Show? No Dickens of a Christmas? No

Instead of a new reel today, I'll recap what's been done so far. (I'll do the same the next two Mondays.)

SOLVED:
Reuben Button nametag - Reuben sandwich has sauerkraut - button mushroom - "three-decker sauerkraut and toadstool sandwich" - How the Grinch Stole Christmas
long-sleeved blue and orange sweater with #80 on back - Florida Gators hockey sweater - 1980 Miracle on Ice - 34th Street Wall in Gainesville, FL - Miracle on 34th Street

IN PROGRESS:
the outline of a castle on a floating cloud, with a large flower in front of it
sketch of a man with a telescope
"fruit bat" - flying fox - Michael J. Fox as Marty McFly in Back to the Future
"traffic jam"
a photograph showing two women in dresses, each holding a candy bar in their left hand
Balin

Postby Balin » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:25 pm

The next reel removed from the box has the inscription "Matthew 7:14" written on it.
Balin

Postby peter365 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:46 am

Is Marty's journey in the De lorian where they 'don't need roads' relevant? That's the one at the beginning of BTTF II? Failing this is there a specific scene from the movies that we need to consider?

Does the traffic jam also refer to the BTTF movies?

Matthew 7:14 states 'But small is the gate and narrow the way that leads to life, and only a few find it' . Do we need to consider the quote as a whole? Or are some words more relevant than others?

Can i just ask about your definition of a Christmas Movie , there are some movies that are not Christmas themed but are always shown at Christmas and therefore i consider them to be Christmas movies. I'd put The Wizard of Oz and Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory in this bracket. Are they in scope?
peter365

Postby Balin » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:07 pm

Is Marty's journey in the De lorian where they 'don't need roads' relevant? No That's the one at the beginning of BTTF II? So no Failing this is there a specific scene from the movies that we need to consider? Not so much "scenes," but Yes. (And I'll say that you can limit yourself to the first movie.)

Does the traffic jam also refer to the BTTF movies? No

Matthew 7:14 states 'But small is the gate and narrow the way that leads to life, and only a few find it' . Do we need to consider the quote as a whole? Yes Or are some words more relevant than others? No

Can i just ask about your definition of a Christmas Movie , there are some movies that are not Christmas themed but are always shown at Christmas and therefore i consider them to be Christmas movies. I'd put The Wizard of Oz and Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory in this bracket. Are they in scope? If they are widely shown at Christmas and are (somewhat) widely thought of as Christmas movies, I allowed them to be considered for this puzzle. I will, however, say that neither of those movies are in this puzzle, as I had no idea they were shown at Christmas.

Reel number nine has a sticker in the style of an election banner. It says "Pudge 2017."
Balin

Postby kalira » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:04 pm

IN PROGRESS:
  • the outline of a castle on a floating cloud, with a large flower in front of it
  • sketch of a man with a telescope
  • "fruit bat" -> flying fox -> Michael J. Fox as Marty McFly in Back to the Future
  • "traffic jam"
  • a photograph showing two women in dresses, each holding a candy bar in their left hand
  • Matthew 7:14 -> 'But small is the gate and narrow the way that leads to life, and only a few find it'
  • election banner type sticker with "Pudge 2017"

Castle: Is "Castle in the Sky" relevant? Could you describe the flower? Is it a sunflower? poppy?

Man with telescope: Galileo relevant? Michelangelo?

BttF: Anything about the backlot where they filmed it relevant? Other filming locations?

Traffic jam: I have to ask, is Weird Al relevant? Any of the following relevant: "Bumper to bumper"? "Stop and go"? "Standstill"? "Gridlock"? Butterfly effect? Road rage?

Candy bar ladies: Are the candy bars chocolate-based? Baby Ruth? Charleston Chew? Twix? Snickers? If no to all this, could you describe the bars? Oh, just to check, candy stripers aren't relevant, are they?

Matthew 7:14: As a SWAG, is "The Secret Garden" relevant?

Does Pudge control the weather?
kalira

Postby Balin » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:52 pm

Castle: Is "Castle in the Sky" relevant? No Could you describe the flower? Is it a sunflower? poppy? It is a rose in full bloom.

Man with telescope: Galileo relevant? He is the man in question Michelangelo?

BttF: Anything about the backlot where they filmed it relevant? No Other filming locations? No

Traffic jam: I have to ask, is Weird Al relevant? No, but you have the right idea looking in music Any of the following relevant: "Bumper to bumper"? "Stop and go"? "Standstill"? "Gridlock"? Butterfly effect? Road rage? None of these

Candy bar ladies: Are the candy bars chocolate-based? None of these Baby Ruth? Charleston Chew? Twix? Snickers? None of these If no to all this, could you describe the bars? Chocolate-covered wafers with a trapezoidal cross-section Oh, just to check, candy stripers aren't relevant, are they? Good idea, but No

Matthew 7:14: As a SWAG, is "The Secret Garden" relevant? No

Does Pudge control the weather? No
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:58 pm

Another character of RttF relevant?

For the castle: Disney relevant? Beauty and the Beast?

For Pudge: Iván Rodríguez relevant? Baseball Hall of Fame?
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:01 am

Another character of RttF relevant? Assume you mean Back to the Future? No

For the castle: Disney relevant? Yes Beauty and the Beast? Not specifically...

For Pudge: Iván Rodríguez relevant? Yes Baseball Hall of Fame? Only as a step to get to Ivan Rodriguez
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:59 am

A quote from BttF relevant? If yes, from Marty? like the "Heavy" he repeats several times?

Is it Cinderella's castle? from Disneyland? DisneyWorld?

Is the 2017 related to Rodriguez (like the fact that his jersey was retired)? Any of the teams Rodriguez played for relevant?
Acridian9

Postby peter365 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:34 pm

The traffic jam is linked to music in some way? A lyric? A song title? By a band?

The Jam aren't relevant I take it?

Is there some plot element we have to identify in BTTF?
peter365

Postby Balin » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:47 pm

A quote from BttF relevant? No If yes, from Marty? like the "Heavy" he repeats several times?

Is it Cinderella's castle? from Disneyland? DisneyWorld? This; it is actually the Disney World logo

Is the 2017 related to Rodriguez (like the fact that his jersey was retired)? That was just another clue to point to him; he was elected to the Hall of Fame in 2017 Any of the teams Rodriguez played for relevant? Yes, and to save the next question, it's the Texas Rangers

The traffic jam is linked to music in some way? It is A lyric? This A song title? By a band?

The Jam aren't relevant I take it? They are not

Is there some plot element we have to identify in BTTF? No

Underneath some discarded utensils you find another real. This one is marked with a sticky note reading "Mr. Cutler's ill."
Balin

Postby peter365 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:08 pm

So the BTTF clue does not involve the plot, other characters? the location? WHat about props? the De Lorian itself? Skateboards? Is the music relevant? Huey Lewis and the News? Chuck Berry?

For the traffic jam I cannot resist asking if 'I remember California' by my beloved REM is relevant?
peter365

Postby Balin » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:03 am

So the BTTF clue does not involve the plot, other characters? the location? This, one specific location in the movie. No to rest WHat about props? the De Lorian itself? Skateboards? Is the music relevant? Huey Lewis and the News? Chuck Berry?

For the traffic jam I cannot resist asking if 'I remember California' by my beloved REM is relevant? No, sorry
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:11 am

For BttF, is the location Hill Valley? or a more specific street or square? or a particular house? Lyon Estates? Twin Pines Mall?

Are the words "trafic jam" present in the lyrics?

Is something Rodriguez did while at Rangers relevant? Arlington relevant?

A specific Theme park at DisneyWorld relevant?
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:39 pm

For BttF, is the location Hill Valley? or a more specific street or square? or a particular house? Lyon Estates? Twin Pines Mall? This

Are the words "trafic jam" present in the lyrics? "Traffic" no; "jam" no, but a form of "jam" is

Is something Rodriguez did while at Rangers relevant? Arlington relevant? No to both

A specific Theme park at DisneyWorld relevant? No

A reel far at the bottom of the box is marked with the words "Confederate City."
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:42 am

So, Charlie Daniels: A Twin Pines Christmas?

A Disney film relevant? Pocahontas? Mulan?

Is the form of "Jam" marmalade? is it present also in the title of the song?
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:46 am

So, Charlie Daniels: A Twin Pines Christmas? Ingenious guess... but No.

A Disney film relevant? To that particular clue, No Pocahontas? Mulan?

Is the form of "Jam" marmalade? No, that's not what I meant. is it present also in the title of the song? No
Balin

Postby Balin » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:44 pm

Dumping one of the boxes out, you find a reel with a drawing of a Christmas tree; there is a bird in the tree. Someone has written "Edward didn't do this" above the drawing.
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:57 pm

Any of the following words relevant to the "trafic Jam" reel? bottleneck, block, delay, excess, congestion, blockage, gridlock, line, rush hour, stoppage, backup, holdup, problem, snarl-up, hindrance, entanglement, roadblock, deadlock, stalemate, holdup, obstruction, cramming, stagnation, slow-down.

For the BttF one: what is/are the relavant words? Twin, Pines, Mall, Twin Pines, Twin Mall, Pines Mall, all three.
Twin Peaks relevant?

Is the rose connected to DisneyWorld?
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:32 pm

Any of the following words relevant to the "trafic Jam" reel? bottleneck, block, delay, excess, congestion, blockage, gridlock, line, rush hour, stoppage, backup, holdup, problem, snarl-up, hindrance, entanglement, roadblock, deadlock, stalemate, holdup, obstruction, cramming, stagnation, slow-down. None of these. I'll say that the word "jammed" is in the lyrics

For the BttF one: what is/are the relavant words? Twin, Pines, Mall, Twin Pines, Twin Mall, Pines Mall, all three. "Pine" and one other word you didn't list
Twin Peaks relevant? No

Is the rose connected to DisneyWorld? Disney World + rose = next step in that clue chain
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:52 pm

Once we find the song containing "jammed", do we need the title? another word in the lyrics? The singer/composer?
Is it Carol? So...A Christmas Carol?

Pine tree? Pine cone? is the other word related to BttF?

"Disney World + rose = next step in that clue chain".....yes, I understood that. But, is just the word "rose" which matters, or rose stands for something related to DisneyWorld?
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:05 pm

Once we find the song containing "jammed", do we need the title? another word in the lyrics? This The singer/composer?
Is it Carol? So...A Christmas Carol? No and No

Pine tree? Yes Pine cone? is the other word related to BttF? You know the other word, so...

"Disney World + rose = next step in that clue chain".....yes, I understood that. But, is just the word "rose" which matters, or rose stands for something related to DisneyWorld? Not the word "rose," but a different word in the original description of the flower
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:16 pm

So, Pine Tree is not an actual tree, right? is it a town? If so, is White Christmas the film?

The original description of the flower was "a large flower in front of it"...so do we need the word: large? flower? front?
Do we need to find something that's in front of the castle at Disney World?
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:58 am

So, Pine Tree is not an actual tree, right? is it a town? If so, is White Christmas the film? Correct. The Bing Crosby classic, set mostly in Pine Tree, Vermont, is the film on this reel.

The original description of the flower was "a large flower in front of it"...so do we need the word: large? flower? front? My apologies - re-read the second description of the flower. None of those are the word.
Do we need to find something that's in front of the castle at Disney World? No
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:28 am

Oh...I get it now! The next clue is Orlando Bloom, right?
Is he starring in the film on the reel?

The Confederate City refers to a city in one of the secessionist states? If yes in one of the following: South Carolina, Mississippi, Florida, Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana, Texas?
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:58 pm

Oh...I get it now! The next clue is Orlando Bloom, right? Yes
Is he starring in the film on the reel? No

The Confederate City refers to a city in one of the secessionist states? Yes, but "Confederate" does have another meaning in the clue If yes in one of the following: South Carolina, Mississippi, Florida, Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana, Texas? Louisiana

Pulling a portable cooler out of one of the boxes, you hear a rattling inside, and open it to find the next reel. There is no writing on this one; a thin layer of frost covers the reel.
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:11 pm

A movie with Orlando Bloom relevant? Something about his carreer? his life? His other names relevant? if so, Blanchard? (which takes me to The Case for Christmas, with Rachel Blanchard.)

Louisiana city: New Orleans, Baton Rouge, Shreveport, Metairie, Lafayette?
Last edited by Acridian9 on Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:14 pm

A movie with Orlando Bloom relevant? Yes, more specifically one of his roles Something about his carreer? See previous his life? See previous His other names relevant? No if so, Blanchard? (which takes me to The Case for Christmas, with Rachel Blanchard.) I like that line of thinking. It's not the one I have in mind, but it's a clever one.

Louisiana city: New Orleans This, which is also the setting of "A Confederacy of Dunces", Baton Rouge, Shreveport, Metairie, Lafayette?
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:20 pm

Is the song with "jammed" in the lyrics a Christmas song? pop? rock? country? dance? children? musical? religiuos? rap? jazz? blues? R&B?

Here are some songs with "jammed" in the lyrics. Any one relevant?
Just What the Doctor Ordered
Soulfly
Robotboy
Metal Thrashing Mad
Man on the Edge
Freedom of Choice
Taxi Grab
Plateau Song
Black Umbrella
State Trooper
Asian Rut
The Beach Is Free
Make It Hot
Giving Gravity a Hand
Tattered Old Kite
Burnt-out Hotel
The Chainsaw Buffét
Dead of Winter
Kick Out the Jams
Last edited by Acridian9 on Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Acridian9

Postby Acridian9 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:21 pm

Bloom role: Legolas? Will Turner? Paris?

The novel "A Confederacy of Dunces" is the initial clue, right? for the next do we need: the writer? a character? an element of the plot?

For the Galileo clue: Bohemian Rhapsody relevant?
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:01 am

Is the song with "jammed" in the lyrics a Christmas song? pop? rock? country? dance? children? musical? religiuos? rap? jazz? blues? R&B? Rock

Here are some songs with "jammed" in the lyrics. Any one relevant? None of the ones on that list. On a side note, I initially thought of the wrong Black Umbrella

Bloom role: Legolas? This Will Turner? Paris?

The novel "A Confederacy of Dunces" is the initial clue, right? It was a clue pointing to New Orleans, from which you need to proceed for the next do we need: the writer? a character? an element of the plot? Thus No to all

For the Galileo clue: Bohemian Rhapsody relevant? Always. And it is relevant to the puzzle too
Balin

Postby peter365 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:25 am

Is 'Born to Run' the song?

Any chance of an update as to where we are ?
peter365

Postby Acridian9 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:58 am

So....two of the movies are Elf and Christmas Rhapsody?
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:13 pm

So....two of the movies are Elf and Christmas Rhapsody? I will say that Elf is one of the movies (although you may or may not have pulled out its reel yet) but Christmas Rhapsody is not. The Legolas clue is not the clue for Elf.

Is 'Born to Run' the song? Yes ("the highway's jammed with broken heroes")

Any chance of an update as to where we are? Right away.

SOLVED:
Reuben Button nametag -- Reuben sandwich has sauerkraut -- button mushroom -- "three-decker sauerkraut and toadstool sandwich" -- How the Grinch Stole Christmas
long-sleeved blue and orange sweater with #80 on back -- Florida Gators hockey sweater -- 1980 Miracle on Ice -- 34th Street Wall in Gainesville, FL -- Miracle on 34th Street
Fruit bat -- Flying Fox -- Michael J. Fox as Marty McFly -- Back to the Future -- Twin Pines Mall -- Pine Tree -- White Christmas

IN PROGRESS:
the outline of a castle on a floating cloud, with a large flower in front of it -- Disney World logo -- Orlando Bloom -- his role as Legolas (but this movie is not Elf)
sketch of a man with a telescope -- Galileo -- "Bohemian Rhapsody"
"traffic jam" -- "Born to Run" ("the highway's jammed with broken heroes") -- another lyric in the song
a photograph showing two women in dresses, each holding a candy bar in their left hand -- the candy bar is a chocolate-covered wafer with a trapezoidal cross section, the brand of candy is relevant
Matthew 7:14 ('But small is the gate and narrow the way that leads to life, and only a few find it') -- the next clue relates to the verse as a whole
election banner type sticker with "Pudge 2017" -- Ivan Rodriguez -- Texas Rangers
"Mr. Cutler's ill."
"Confederate City" -- setting of A Confederacy of Dunces -- New Orleans
drawing of a bird in a Christmas tree, plus the inscription "Edward didn't do this"
a thin layer of frost
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:39 pm

Related to Legolas: Where he comes from? Woodland Realm? Mirkwood? His race? Sindar? Gray elves? The Fellowship? Gimli?

For Bohemian rhapsody: Queen? Freddy Mercury? other member of the band? Figaro? Magnifico? other word in the lyrics?
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:52 pm

Related to Legolas: Where he comes from? Woodland Realm? Mirkwood? His race? This - that he is an elf - but more so that "Orlando Bloom played an elf" Sindar? Gray elves? The Fellowship? Gimli? No to rest

For Bohemian rhapsody: Queen? Freddy Mercury? other member of the band? Figaro? Magnifico? other word in the lyrics? No to these
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:08 am

Anything relevant in what follow?

For Born to Run: one word in the lyrics? two? more? just after "jammed"? last chance? power drive? ater "jammed" in the same strophe (I mean before the line "Oh honey, tramps like us")? nefore "jammed"?

For Texas Rangers: the law enforcement agency Texas Ranger Division? Walker, Texas Ranger?

For Bohemian Rhapsody: date of release? Album name? genre? B-side of the single?
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:50 am

Anything relevant in what follow?

For Born to Run: one word in the lyrics? Yes two? more?
just after "jammed"? See subsequent responses last chance? power drive? Not these after "jammed" in the same strophe (I mean before the line "Oh honey, tramps like us")? The word appears once in this range before "jammed"? Also twice earlier

For Texas Rangers: the law enforcement agency Texas Ranger Division? Walker, Texas Ranger? This - "Walker" is the next clue

For Bohemian Rhapsody: date of release? Album name? This genre? B-side of the single?
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:20 pm

Is the word in the lyrics Wendy ? Peter Pan relavant?

Do we need to indentify a real person named Walker? If so, Paul Walker? Tom Walker? Walker Evans?

For Bohemian Rhapsody we have A Night at the Opera. Is "opera" the next clue? If so, opera house? orchestra? a famous conductor? composer? singer?

(btw: I didn't know that Nestle has trade mark registrations for trapezoidal-shaped, chocolate-coated bars!)
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:31 pm

Is the word in the lyrics Wendy? Yes Peter Pan relevant? No

Do we need to identify a real person named Walker? No If so, Paul Walker? Tom Walker? Walker Evans? So none of them

For Bohemian Rhapsody we have A Night at the Opera. Yes we do Is "opera" the next clue? It is part of the next clue If so, opera house? orchestra? a famous conductor? composer? singer? No to all

The next reel has the words "St. Mary was here" penciled on it.
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:42 pm

Is the mere word "walker" relevant? If so, do we need a synonym? or a related word? Any in the following list?
adventurer, barnstormer, bum, drifter, excursionist, explorer, gadabout, globe-trotter, gypsy, hiker, hitchhiker, hobo, itinerant, jaywalkwer, journeyer, nomad, passerby, peddler, pedestrian, pilgrim, rambler, roamer, rover, stroller, trekker, vagabond, vagrant, walker, wanderer, wayfarer

Or is Walker a proper noun? of a place? building? object?
Acridian9

Postby Acridian9 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:46 pm

Another fictional character named Wendy relevant? A real person? if so, in film/television/radio? in sport? in the arts?

The Phantom of the Opera relevant?
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:37 pm

Is the mere word "walker" relevant? Yes, meaning "one who walks" If so, do we need a synonym? No or a related word? No Any in the following list? None of them
adventurer, barnstormer, bum, drifter, excursionist, explorer, gadabout, globe-trotter, gypsy, hiker, hitchhiker, hobo, itinerant, jaywalkwer, journeyer, nomad, passerby, peddler, pedestrian, pilgrim, rambler, roamer, rover, stroller, trekker, vagabond, vagrant, walker, wanderer, wayfarer

Or is Walker a proper noun? No of a place? building? object?

Another fictional character named Wendy relevant? No A real person? No (well, tangentially, but assume No) if so, in film/television/radio? in sport? in the arts? None of them

The Phantom of the Opera relevant? No
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:21 pm

For the candy bar, is the relevant brand Chunky? KitKat? another brand by Nestle?
Acridian9

Postby peter365 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:47 am

Are Wendy Houses relevant?
peter365

Postby Balin » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:02 pm

For the candy bar, is the relevant brand Chunky? KitKat? This another brand by Nestle?

Are Wendy Houses relevant? No

This next reel has a single leaf stuck to it with some old chewing gum.
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:48 pm

The fact that is the diminutive for Gwendolyn relevant? the fast food restaurant chain Wendy's?

A KitKat advertising slogan relevant? other meanings of Kit Kat or Kit Cat (or just Kit, just Kat/Cat)?
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:36 pm

The fact that is the diminutive for Gwendolyn relevant? No the fast food restaurant chain Wendy's? Yes

A KitKat advertising slogan relevant? No other meanings of Kit Kat or Kit Cat (or just Kit, just Kat/Cat)? A variant of "kit" and a variant of "cat"
Balin

Postby Balin » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:25 pm

Reel number sixteen is labeled with the La-Z-Boy furniture logo.
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:52 pm

One Who Walks with the Stars relevant?

Relevant for Wendy's: its founder? its headquarters? Something in the menue? Frosty?
if this, is the movie Jack Frost?

Do we need a synonym of Kit, like set or collection? and a synonym of cat? or another feline?
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:23 pm

One Who Walks with the Stars relevant? No

Relevant for Wendy's: its founder? its headquarters? Something in the menue? Frosty? This...
if this, is the movie Jack Frost? No...

Do we need a synonym of Kit, like set or collection? and a synonym of cat? or another feline? No to both - like "jam" -> "jammed," you're looking for a variant of the actual words
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:58 am

Frosty the Snowman? a sequel to this?

Any of the following words is the right variant:
catty, cattle, cater, catch, catchy, kite, kith, kitsch, kitten, kitty?

Opera browser relevant?

Edward Johnson or Albert Sadacca relevant?
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:42 am

Frosty the Snowman? a sequel to this? The animated TV special Frosty the Snowman is the fourth film to be discovered. Well done.

Any of the following words is the right variant:
catty, cattle, cater, catch, catchy, kite, kith, kitsch, kitten, kitty? No - simpler, for both

Opera browser relevant? No

Edward Johnson or Albert Sadacca relevant? Neither
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:17 am

On variants:
Kid? kin? can? car? cap?
Does the first variant contain the word "kit"? Just "ki"? does the second contain "cat"? just "ca"
Is the first variant a three letter word? four letter word? five? Same questions for the second variant.

Edward Scissorhands relevant?
Acridian9

Postby peter365 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:07 am

Is the Marx Brothers' 'A night at the opera' relevant?
peter365

Postby Balin » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:52 pm

On variants:
Kid? kin? can? car? cap? None of these
Does the first variant contain the word "kit"? Yes Just "ki"? does the second contain "cat"? Yes just "ca"
Is the first variant a three letter word? four letter word? This five? Same questions for the second variant. Same answer - four letters

Edward Scissorhands relevant? No

Is the Marx Brothers' 'A night at the opera' relevant? Yes

Taped to the next reel is a torn sheet of paper. Written on the paper is: "HS graduation of the shepherdess and oyster farmer." Below the writing is a small sketch of a bee.
Balin

Postby kalira » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:28 pm

bird + "Edward": Edward Snowden? Is the bird in the tree a partridge? If so, is the Partridge Family relevant?

Castle on a cloud: the elf race -- is this meant to get us to Hermey the elf? From "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer"?

La-Z boy: The La-Z Boy logo appears to just be their name with the Z in a blue oval -- is this the logo we're looking for? If so, I presume we should be focused on the Z part? WAG: Ovaltine --> "A Christmas Story"?

man w/ telescope: "A Night at the Opera" -- Is this to do with the "There ain't no Sanity Clause" line?

KitKat ladies: Is it relevant that the women are holding the KitKats in their left hands (instead of, say, in their right hands)?

St Mary: Mary, the mother of Jesus? "St. Mary was here" --> Bethlehem? Is "O Little Town of Bethlehem" relevant?

leaf + gum: Is the type of leaf important? Maple? Is the brand of gum relevant?

"Mr. Cutler's ill": Are we looking for a specific real-world Mr. Cutler? Is there any wordplay relevant on this part of this clue?

HS graduation...: Just to check, HS = High School?
kalira

Postby Balin » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:37 pm

bird + "Edward": Edward Snowden? Is the bird in the tree a partridge? If so, is the Partridge Family relevant? No to all

Castle on a cloud: the elf race -- is this meant to get us to Hermey the elf? From "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer"? No to both

La-Z boy: The La-Z Boy logo appears to just be their name with the Z in a blue oval -- is this the logo we're looking for? Yes If so, I presume we should be focused on the Z part? No WAG: Ovaltine --> "A Christmas Story"? No

man w/ telescope: "A Night at the Opera" -- Is this to do with the "There ain't no Sanity Clause" line? Yes, which should give you the movie...

KitKat ladies: Is it relevant that the women are holding the KitKats in their left hands (instead of, say, in their right hands)? Yes, because on taking a closer look on the photographs, you can see their empty hands - their right hands - and each is wearing a ring on that hand.

St Mary: Mary, the mother of Jesus? Yes "St. Mary was here" --> Bethlehem? No Is "O Little Town of Bethlehem" relevant? No

leaf + gum: Is the type of leaf important? Yes Maple? No Is the brand of gum relevant? Yes

"Mr. Cutler's ill": Are we looking for a specific real-world Mr. Cutler? Yes Is there any wordplay relevant on this part of this clue? Not on figuring out who Mr. Cutler is, but there is wordplay in this clue. Also, there is a period after "ill," and that is relevant

HS graduation...: Just to check, HS = High School? Yes
Balin

Postby Balin » Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:59 pm

The next reel has eight Scrabble tiles taped to it - A, D, I, Y, T, R, H, and B.
Balin

Postby biograd » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:58 pm

For the Mr. Cutler clue, are we looking for a city in Illinois that has some connection to a man with the name Cutler?

For the scrabble tiles, is it relevant that they can be used to spell "Hybrid", with an A left over? "Hay" plus "Bird"?
biograd

Postby Balin » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:24 pm

For the Mr. Cutler clue, are we looking for a city in Illinois that has some connection to a man with the name Cutler? No - Illinois is not relevant

For the scrabble tiles, is it relevant that they can be used to spell "Hybrid", with an A left over? "Hay" plus "Bird"? Neither, and you left one letter out of your anagramming
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:50 am

Does Orlando Bloom/Legolas point to the movie "Elf-man"?

There is a movie titled "There Ain't No Santa Claus"...is it the one in the reel with the sketch of a man with a telescope?

Do scrabble tiles give birthday?

Are the rings engagement rings? Do the variants of Kit and cat spell out a proper name?
Variants: kits, skit, tiki? cats, scat, cate?
Skit-Scat Raggedy Cat: Ella Fitzgerald relevant?
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:25 pm

Does Orlando Bloom/Legolas point to the movie "Elf-man"? Not the movie "Elf-man," but "elf man" is the next clue

There is a movie titled "There Ain't No Santa Claus"...is it the one in the reel with the sketch of a man with a telescope? No

Do scrabble tiles give birthday? Yes

Are the rings engagement rings? No Do the variants of Kit and cat spell out a proper name? No
Variants: kits, skit, tiki? Kits cats, scat, cate? Cats
Skit-Scat Raggedy Cat: Ella Fitzgerald relevant? No but that's a clever guess

After shaking out every box, you pull out one final reel. This one is labeled with a drawing of four skulls; the third one is circled.
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:08 pm

Danny Elfman relevant? if so, Nightmare Before Christmas?

"As I was going to St Ives" riddle relevant?
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:56 pm

Danny Elfman relevant? Yes if so, Nightmare Before Christmas? Not here (but a very good guess)

"As I was going to St Ives" riddle relevant? Yes - the rings are wedding rings, the women's dresses are dirndls, making them "Kit Kat Saxon wives"
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:09 pm

Did Danny Elfman compose the score of the film in the reel? Is it a Tim Burton film?

For the other clue: do we proceede from "Kits Cats and Saxon Wives"? or from "As I was going to St Ives"?
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:26 am

Did Danny Elfman compose the score of the film in the reel? No, but the next part of the clue is a film he scored Is it a Tim Burton film? Not this one

For the other clue: do we proceed from "Kits Cats and Saxon Wives"? or from "As I was going to St Ives"? The latter
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:45 am

Film scored by Elfman: Scrooged? A Tim Burton film? Any Marvel hero? Is it a film from 70's? 80's? 00's? 10's?

Something in the following relevant for the other clue: a town named St Ives? the numnber 7? its powers? the solution of the riddle?
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:08 pm

Film scored by Elfman: Scrooged? A Tim Burton film? Any Marvel hero? No to these Is it a film from 70's? 80's? This 00's? 10's?

Something in the following relevant for the other clue: a town named St Ives? No (not a town...) the numnber 7? its powers? the solution of the riddle? No to these
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:16 pm

Film scored by Elfman in the 80's (not by Tim Buton):
Urgh! A Music War; Forbidden Zone; Good Morning, Mr. Orwell; Back to School; Wisdom; Summer School; Midnight Run; Big Top Pee-wee; Hot to Trot;

St Ives: westernmost part of Cornwall? other geographical name? a novel? a film?
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:48 pm

Film scored by Elfman in the 80's (not by Tim Buton):
Urgh! A Music War; Forbidden Zone; Good Morning, Mr. Orwell; Back to School; Wisdom; Summer School; Midnight Run; Big Top Pee-wee; Hot to Trot; Back to School

St Ives: westernmost part of Cornwall? other geographical name? a novel? a film? No to all
Balin

Postby Balin » Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:17 am

Christmas hints for all!

Previously solved:
Reuben Button nametag -- Reuben sandwich has sauerkraut -- button mushroom -- "three-decker sauerkraut and toadstool sandwich" -- How the Grinch Stole Christmas
long-sleeved blue and orange sweater with #80 on back -- Florida Gators hockey sweater -- 1980 Miracle on Ice -- 34th Street Wall in Gainesville, FL -- Miracle on 34th Street
"fruit bat" -- Flying Fox -- Michael J. Fox as Marty McFly -- Back to the Future -- Twin Pines Mall -- Pine Tree -- White Christmas

Recently solved:
"traffic jam" -- "Born to Run" ("the highway's jammed with broken heroes") -- Wendy -- Wendy’s -- Frosty (ice cream) -- Frosty the Snowman

Ongoing:
the outline of a castle on a floating cloud, with a large flower in front of it -- Disney World logo -- Orlando Bloom -- Danny Elfman -- Back to School -- something that happens toward the end of the movie
sketch of a man with a telescope -- Galileo -- "Bohemian Rhapsody" -- A Night at the Opera -- "there ain't no sanity clause" -- next step is the title of the movie on the reel
a photograph showing two women in dresses, each holding a candy bar in their left hand -- KitKats -- women wearing dirndls -- wedding rings on right hand -- Kit Kat Saxon Wives -- St. Ives riddle -- the next step comes from the "St. Ives" part, but is not a geographical location
Matthew 7:14 ('But small is the gate and narrow the way that leads to life, and only a few find it') -- the next clue relates to the verse as a whole
election banner type sticker with "Pudge 2017" -- Ivan Rodriguez -- Texas Rangers -- Walker -- a well-known someone who walks
"Mr. Cutler's ill." -- Mr. Cutler is a real person, and it is relevant that "ill." is abbreviated
"Confederate City" -- setting of A Confederacy of Dunces -- New Orleans -- something with "New Orleans" in the name
drawing of a bird in a Christmas tree, plus the inscription "Edward didn't do this" -- Edward is a real person; the type of bird and type of tree are relevant
a thin layer of frost -- this clue can be though of as "Frost"
"St. Mary was here" -- something named for St. Mary
a leaf stuck with chewing gum -- the brand of gum and the type of leaf are important
the La-Z-boy furniture logo -- something associated with that particular furniture
"HS graduation of the shepherdess and oyster farmer" plus a small sketch of a bee -- the shepherdess is from literature; there is wordplay involved with "oyster farmer"
Scrabble tiles A-D-I-Y-T-R-H-B -- anagram of "birthday" -- "birthday" plus the fact that they are Scrabble tiles will give you a title (but not the film title)
four skulls, the third of which is circled -- you don't need to leave the forum for this step!

As is traditional with woubit's Christmas puzzles, this will run through January 6. I will provide one final recap and set of hints on January 1. Merry Christmas everyone.
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:27 am

something that happens toward the end of the movie: Triple Lindy? if so Lindy Booth relevant?

St. Ives: an actual saint named Ives?

a well-known someone who walks: Aragorn? a fictional someone?
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:21 pm

something that happens toward the end of the movie: Triple Lindy? No if so Lindy Booth relevant? No

St. Ives: an actual saint No named Ives? Yes

a well-known someone who walks: Aragorn? No a fictional someone? Yes
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:49 am

"there ain't no sanity clause" --> The Year Without a Santa Claus? The Santa Clause?

something that happens toward the end of the movie: during the exam? during the dive contest? after?

Do we need a real person whose family name is Ives? Charles Ives?
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:29 pm

"there ain't no sanity clause" --> The Year Without a Santa Claus? The Santa Clause? This - the Tim Allen film is the one on this reel, and the fifth to be determined so far.

something that happens toward the end of the movie: during the exam? This during the dive contest? after?

Do we need a real person whose family name is Ives? Yes Charles Ives? No
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:13 am

Back to school ---> One question in 27 parts? Dylan Thomas' poem "Do not go gentle into that good night"?

St Ives ---> Joseph Christmas Ives? if so, there are a couple films that may fit: "Christmas Eve" and "Eve's Christmas".
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:28 am

Back to school ---> One question in 27 parts? Dylan Thomas' poem "Do not go gentle into that good night"? This

St Ives ---> Joseph Christmas Ives? No if so, there are a couple films that may fit: "Christmas Eve" and "Eve's Christmas". Neither
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:17 pm

For the Back to school reel: is the next clue Dylan Thomas? or the poem? specifically, a line or word in the poem? or something else linked to the sentence "Do not go gentle into that good night"?

St Ives ---> Eugene S. Ives? Gideon S. Ives? Henry S. Ives? William Ives? Is he a politician? sportsman? Is he American? British? Canadian?

Mr. Cutler's ill. ---> Cutler, Illinois relevant? if so, Cutler Dawson?
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:27 pm

For the Back to school reel: is the next clue Dylan Thomas? No or the poem? Yes specifically, a line or word in the poem? or something else linked to the sentence "Do not go gentle into that good night"? Yes - a synonym, so to speak, of that sentence

St Ives ---> Eugene S. Ives? Gideon S. Ives? Henry S. Ives? William Ives? None of these fellows Is he a politician? No sportsman? No Is he American? This British? Canadian?

Mr. Cutler's ill. ---> Cutler, Illinois relevant? if so, Cutler Dawson? Neither. "ill." does not mean "Illinois"
Balin

Postby Balin » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:40 pm

You spot the corner of a sheet of paper poking out of the pocket of a jacket you discarded earlier. Unfolding the paper, you see the following:

Films playing at Xmas Fest:

A Charlie Brown Christmas
A Christmas Story
Die Hard
Elf
Frosty the Snowman
Gremlins
Home Alone
How the Grinch Stole Christmas
It's a Wonderful Life
Miracle on 34th Street
The Muppet Christmas Carol
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
The Nativity Story
The Nightmare Before Christmas
The Polar Express
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer
The Santa Clause
The Snowman
White Christmas
Balin

Postby kalira » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:11 pm

Fracking balls, I wrote up a whole bunch of questions, and my internet went wacky and failed to post. Let me see if I can recreate most of them...

castle on cloud: "Do not go gentle into that good night" 'synonym' = "Don't die easily"? --> "Die Hard"?

candy ladies: looking for an American named Ives -- Burl Ives? narrator of "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer"? Is that the movie for this one?

Mr. Cutler: is ill. abbreviation for 'illustration'? Are we looking for a man surnamed Cutler? If so, American? British? Canadian? other?

frost: you say this can be thought of as "Frost" -- are we looking for a person, place, or thing named Frost? Jack Frost? Robert Frost? If Robert Frost, are we looking for one of his poems? "Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening"? "The Road Not Taken"? "Mending Wall"? "Fire and Ice"?

St. Mary: something named for St. Mary -- is it something named after "Mary" or "St. Mary"? or after one of the titles given to her (like "full of grace" or "Immaculata")? "Mary Did You Know?"? (the commonwealth of) Virginia [I know not actually named after her, but lateral puzzle]? the Santa Maria? OOH! Santa Maria --> Christopher Columbus --> Chris Columbus (director) --> "Home Alone"?

leaf and gum: to clarify, leaf = the generally living organ of a tree or plant, yes? Type of leaf: oak? maple? magnolia? palm? aloe? lettuce? a leaf belonging to some other edible vegetable? Gum brand: Doublemint? Bazooka? Wrigley's? Nicorette? Orbit? Trident? Dentyne? Dubble Bubble? Bubble Yum? Juicy Fruit? Fruit Stripe? Ice Breakers? Five? Chiclets? Big League Chew? Big Red?

skulls: is this related to "Literally a Skeleton" at all?

bird and tree, Edward: Edward = given name? surname? Is a king named Edward relevant here? If not, is Edward American? British? Canadian? other? The Xmas tree = one of the traditional varieties of Christmas tree? Spruce? Pine? Fir? Artificial :lol: ? Type of bird: is it any of the types of birds mentioned in "The Twelve Days of Christmas"?

La-Z-Boy: something associated with the brand = recliners? the footrest? the lever thingie that goes with the footrest?
kalira

Postby Balin » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:39 pm

castle on cloud: "Do not go gentle into that good night" 'synonym' = "Don't die easily"? --> "Die Hard"?
candy ladies: looking for an American named Ives -- Burl Ives? narrator of "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer"? Is that the movie for this one? Two rounds of questions, and two more correct movies. Well done!

Mr. Cutler: is ill. abbreviation for 'illustration'? Close, "illustrator" Are we looking for a man surnamed Cutler? Yes If so, American? British? Canadian? other? Scottish

frost: you say this can be thought of as "Frost" -- are we looking for a person, place, or thing named Frost? Yes Jack Frost? Robert Frost? This guy If Robert Frost, are we looking for one of his poems? Yes "Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening"? This one "The Road Not Taken"? "Mending Wall"? "Fire and Ice"?

St. Mary: something named for St. Mary -- is it something named after "Mary" or "St. Mary"? Yes or after one of the titles given to her (like "full of grace" or "Immaculata")? "Mary Did You Know?"? (the commonwealth of) Virginia [I know not actually named after her, but lateral puzzle]? the Santa Maria? This OOH! Santa Maria --> Christopher Columbus --> Chris Columbus (director) --> "Home Alone"? This is better and much simpler than the path I came up with. I wish it were correct, but it's not.

leaf and gum: to clarify, leaf = the generally living organ of a tree or plant, yes? Yes
Type of leaf: oak? maple? magnolia? palm? aloe? lettuce? a leaf belonging to some other edible vegetable? None of these
Gum brand: Doublemint? Bazooka? Wrigley's? This Nicorette? Orbit? Trident? Dentyne? Dubble Bubble? Bubble Yum? Juicy Fruit? Fruit Stripe? Ice Breakers? Five? Chiclets? Big League Chew? Big Red?

skulls: is this related to "Literally a Skeleton" at all? Yes!

bird and tree, Edward: Edward = given name? This surname? Is a king named Edward relevant here? No If not, is Edward American? British? Canadian? other? German-American The Xmas tree = one of the traditional varieties of Christmas tree? Yes Spruce? This Pine? Fir? Artificial :lol: ? Under NO circumstances Type of bird: is it any of the types of birds mentioned in "The Twelve Days of Christmas"? Yes, and to save the next question it's a goose

La-Z-Boy: something associated with the brand Yes, generally = recliners? Think along this line the footrest? the lever thingie that goes with the footrest?
Balin

Postby kalira » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:44 pm

Mr. Cutler's ill.: Wiki lists Ivor Cutler as a Scottish poet -- is he the one we're looking for? His illustrator would appear to be Martin Honeysett? Is Mr. Honeysett our next jumping off point? Something to do with his name? Something to do with his life/work? Or should we be focusing on the work that he illustrated for Mr. Cutler (Life in a Scotch Living Room)?

bird, tree, Edward: Well the obvious jump point here seems to be the Spruce Goose? Hercules relevant? Howard Hughes? or someone else named Hughes? Is Edward related to the Spruce Goose? Edward Snowden? Edward Hopper? Edward Gorey? Ted Kennedy?

Frost: Relevant bits of "Stopping by Woods": horse? miles to go before I sleep? harness bells shaking? darkest evening of the year? the snowy woods? promises to keep? lovely, dark, and deep? house in the village? Or should we focus on the meta of the poem? like its use in eulogies?

skulls: Is it something to do with the third of four somethings related to L.a.S.? His third puzzle? Search gives me "I'll have a pint please... and a mop"? If that's it, should we focus on the title? or the puzzle itself?

St. Mary: And I was so proud of that line of thought, too... Okay, so the Santa Maria... So Christopher Columbus isn't relevant? How about the Nina and/or the Pinta? a voyage?

Pudge 2017: a well-known someone who walks and is fictional -- would we find this person in literature? movies? TV?

leaf and gum: Do we kinda need the type of leaf before we can take the next step? Or can we get something from Wrigley's on its own? Is Wrigley Field relevant? Chicago? someone with the surname Wrigley?
kalira

Postby kalira » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:08 pm

shepherdess and oyster farmer: Shepherdess = Mary (of "Mary had a little lamb")? Oyster farming = mariculture? wordplay mariculture -> Mary culture?

Scrabble tiles: Birthday Letters? by Ted Hughes? a specific poem from it? "The Blue Flannel Suit"? Are snow suits relevant?
kalira

Postby kalira » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:03 pm

It occurred to me Spruce Goose might just be relevant because it's a plane... It reminded me of the episode of "Twilight Zone" with the gremlin on the wing. Is this where this chain goes? "Gremlins"? (Rod Serling's middle name is apparently Edward -- is that the Edward connection?)
kalira

Postby Balin » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:29 am

Very nice sets of questions!

Mr. Cutler's ill.: Wiki lists Ivor Cutler as a Scottish poet -- is he the one we're looking for? Yes His illustrator would appear to be Martin Honeysett? Not him Is Mr. Honeysett our next jumping off point? No Something to do with his name? No Something to do with his life/work? No Or should we be focusing on the work that he illustrated for Mr. Cutler (Life in a Scotch Living Room)? No, but you should be focusing on one of Ivor Cutler's works and the illustrator for that work

bird, tree, Edward: Well the obvious jump point here seems to be the Spruce Goose? And the correct one Hercules relevant? No Howard Hughes? Yes or someone else named Hughes? Yes with a slight but sizable -ISH
Is Edward related to the Spruce Goose? Edward Snowden? Edward Hopper? Edward Gorey? Ted Kennedy? No to all
It occurred to me Spruce Goose might just be relevant because it's a plane... It reminded me of the episode of "Twilight Zone" with the gremlin on the wing. Is this where this chain goes? "Gremlins"? (Rod Serling's middle name is apparently Edward -- is that the Edward connection?) No, but a clever idea

Frost: Relevant bits of "Stopping by Woods": horse? miles to go before I sleep? This... harness bells shaking? darkest evening of the year? the snowy woods? ...and this; think more of what the poem is about promises to keep? lovely, dark, and deep? house in the village? Or should we focus on the meta of the poem? like its use in eulogies? No

skulls: Is it something to do with the third of four somethings related to L.a.S.? Yes His third puzzle? Yes Search gives me "I'll have a pint please... and a mop"? Yes If that's it, should we focus on the title? or the puzzle itself? This

St. Mary: And I was so proud of that line of thought, too... Okay, so the Santa Maria... So Christopher Columbus isn't relevant? Not his name How about the Nina and/or the Pinta? Only in context of... a voyage? ...this, specifically Columbus' voyage to...

Pudge 2017: a well-known someone who walks and is fictional -- would we find this person in literature? movies? This TV?

leaf and gum: Do we kinda need the type of leaf before we can take the next step? Yes, but... Or can we get something from Wrigley's on its own? ...this ought to help... Is Wrigley Field relevant? ...Yes, which should tell you what the leaf is... Chicago? someone with the surname Wrigley?

shepherdess and oyster farmer: Shepherdess = Mary (of "Mary had a little lamb")? Oyster farming = mariculture? wordplay mariculture -> Mary culture? No to all but I like that wordplay

Scrabble tiles: Birthday Letters? Yes by Ted Hughes? Yes a specific poem from it? ...here I must confess that my primitive research methods (Google) didn't actually tell me which poem is relevant. I will say that a quote is relevant and the quote can be found on this page "The Blue Flannel Suit"? Are snow suits relevant? No
Balin

Postby kalira » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:25 pm

Santa Maria: voyage to the New World? America? the (West) Indies?

leaf + gum: clover? ivy? specifically English ivy? or Boston ivy? Do we need to leap to the Ivy League from here? WAG: Brown University --> "A Charlie Brown Christmas"?

"Edward": someone else named Hughes but with a slight but sizable -ish -- someone who played Hughes in a movie or something? Leonardo DiCaprio? maybe someone named Hugh? if so, Hugh Grant? Hugh Hefner? Hugh Jackman? Hugh Laurie? Edward: Mister Ed? Blackbeard? Mr Rochester? the Riddler? Edward Scissorhands? Ed from Cowboy Bebop? Ed from Full Metal Alchemist?

"Mr. Cutler": The Animal House (Helen Oxenbury)? Grape Zoo (Jill Barton)? One/all of the Herbert books/stories (Patrick Benson)? WAG: Animal House --> manger --> "The Nativity Story"?

La-Z-Boy: are we looking for some kind of synonym or similar word to recliner? or are we still looking for another thing associated w/ LaZBoy? Recliner as in someone/something that is laying down?

skulls: Is Coca-Cola relevant? cocaine?

Pudge: is a movie with some form of "walk" or "walker" in the title relevant?

Confederate City: is the thing with "New Orleans" in the name listed on this page?

Matthew 7:14: Honestly not sure where to start with this one...

Frost: travelling? being alone? (SWAG: "Home Alone"?) responsibility? the divide between nature and society?

shepherdess + oyster farmer: is the bee a drone? worker bee? queen? honeybee? bumblebee? carpenter bee? Is it from heraldic imagery? Am I right in guessing that the shepherdess is not really referred to by that term in the piece of literature she appears in? If the following will help us work out the oyster farmer bit... are pearls relevant? oyster meat? the shells? oyster beds? bivalves? shucking? oyster knives?

Scrabble: Relevant quote = "But the jewel you lost was blue"? "... they let you know you were not John Donne"? "...red was what you wrapped around you..."? "
kalira

Postby Balin » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:45 pm

Santa Maria: voyage to the New World? This America? the (West) Indies?

leaf + gum: clover? ivy? This specifically English ivy? or Boston ivy? Irrel Do we need to leap to the Ivy League from here? No WAG: Brown University --> "A Charlie Brown Christmas"? No

"Edward": someone else named Hughes but with a slight but sizable -ish -- someone who played Hughes in a movie or something? Leonardo DiCaprio? maybe someone named Hugh? if so, Hugh Grant? Hugh Hefner? Hugh Jackman? Hugh Laurie? Edward: Mister Ed? Blackbeard? Mr Rochester? the Riddler? Edward Scissorhands? Ed from Cowboy Bebop? Ed from Full Metal Alchemist? No to all of this. Focus on figuring out who Edward is

"Mr. Cutler": The Animal House (Helen Oxenbury)? Wrong work, right illustrator. No to rest Grape Zoo (Jill Barton)? One/all of the Herbert books/stories (Patrick Benson)? WAG: Animal House --> manger --> "The Nativity Story"? No, but again, I like this guess

La-Z-Boy: are we looking for some kind of synonym or similar word to recliner? No or are we still looking for another thing associated w/ LaZBoy? Yes, something associated with La-Z-Boy recliners Recliner as in someone/something that is laying down? Yope, see previous

skulls: Is Coca-Cola relevant? Yes cocaine? No

Pudge: is a movie with some form of "walk" or "walker" in the title relevant? No

Confederate City: is the thing with "New Orleans" in the name listed on this page? No

Matthew 7:14: Honestly not sure where to start with this one... Think of the verse as a whole

Frost: travelling? This, plus something else; No to rest being alone? (SWAG: "Home Alone"?) responsibility? the divide between nature and society?

shepherdess + oyster farmer: is the bee a drone? worker bee? queen? honeybee? bumblebee? carpenter bee? Exact type of bee is Irrel Is it from heraldic imagery? No
Am I right in guessing that the shepherdess is not really referred to by that term in the piece of literature she appears in? As far as I know, she is
If the following will help us work out the oyster farmer bit... are pearls relevant? Yes, No to rest oyster meat? the shells? oyster beds? bivalves? shucking? oyster knives?

Scrabble: Relevant quote = "But the jewel you lost was blue"? "... they let you know you were not John Donne"? "...red was what you wrapped around you..."? None of these
Balin

Postby kalira » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:30 pm

Frost: travelling in winter? like, say, a Christmas vacation? "National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation"?

Santa Maria: voyage to the New World -- are we looking for something else named "New World" for our next step? or something related to the area historically known as the New World?

Mr Cutler: Meal One? Elephant Girl?

leaf + gum: So the ivy leaf is our next point? Have we gotten all the use out of Wrigley's that we can, or is there more still to get from that?

skulls: Relevant things about Coca-Cola: polar bears? Santa drinking a Coke? the Christmas ad with the line of delivery trucks? The "I'd like to teach the world to sing in perfect harmony" ad? Atlanta? red and white? kola nuts? a specific type of Coke (Diet/Coke Zero/Lime Coke, etc.)? the bottle design? its use as a "medicine"?

"Edward": Is/was Edward a nonfictional person? place? animal? thing? Is he a fictional person/place/animal/thing? In which century did he/it gain prominence?

La-Z-Boy: leather recliners? rockers?
kalira

Postby Balin » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:36 pm

Frost: travelling in winter? Yes - "winter journey" is the next step like, say, a Christmas vacation? "National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation"? But not this

Santa Maria: voyage to the New World -- are we looking for something else named "New World" for our next step? Close - a synonym for "New World" or something related to the area historically known as the New World?

Mr Cutler: Meal One? This Elephant Girl?

leaf + gum: So the ivy leaf is our next point? Yes, the next clue comes from "ivy" Have we gotten all the use out of Wrigley's that we can, or is there more still to get from that? We are done with "Wrigley's"

skulls: Relevant things about Coca-Cola: polar bears? Santa drinking a Coke? the Christmas ad with the line of delivery trucks? The "I'd like to teach the world to sing in perfect harmony" ad? Atlanta? red and white? kola nuts? a specific type of Coke (Diet/Coke Zero/Lime Coke, etc.)? the bottle design? its use as a "medicine"? None of these, but certain Coca-Cola ads are relevant. Also there's a little more about the puzzle solution that will help

"Edward": Is/was Edward a nonfictional person? Real guy place? animal? thing? Is he a fictional person/place/animal/thing?
In which century did he/it gain prominence? Early 20th

La-Z-Boy: leather recliners? More associated with this... think what people use them for rockers? Not so much
Balin

Postby kalira » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:10 pm

Ok let's throw some possible Edwards out there... Edward R Murrow? Edward Albee? Edward Winter? Edward G Robinson? Edward Teller?

La-Z-Boy: well, I know they are used for naps a lot... use as alternative beds relevant? :)

New World = Western Hemisphere?
kalira

Postby Balin » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:47 am

Ok let's throw some possible Edwards out there... Edward R Murrow? Edward Albee? Edward Winter? Edward G Robinson? Edward Teller? None of them

La-Z-Boy: well, I know they are used for naps a lot... use as alternative beds relevant? :) Yes

New World = Western Hemisphere? No
Balin

Postby Balin » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:05 pm

As the Epiphany has passed on the calendar, so too must this puzzle be put to rest.

You pack up the boxes once again, having realized you can just look really closely at frames on the reel until you recognize what the Christmas movies and specials are. The festival must be starting extremely late, but you wonder if you'll be back next year, or if you have some other Christmas challenge to look for....

****SPOILER****

Well done, and thank you:
-Acridian, who spent a lot of time solo-solving;
-kalira, who brought some strong questions at the end;
-Earnest and Pete, who asked good questions throughout;
-Enjay, Grouffe, and biograd, who also came in and took part.

Here is the complete logic for the reels, in the order they were pulled out of the box:

Reuben Button nametag:
A Reuben sandwich includes sauerkraut. "Button" is a type of mushroom; other types of mushrooms are toadstools. In the song "You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch" from How the Grinch Stole Christmas, the Grinch is called "a three-decker sauerkraut and toadstool sandwich."

long-sleeved blue and orange sweater with #80 on back:
The sweater is a hockey sweater with the colors of the Florida Gators. Hockey's "Miracle on Ice" was played in 1980. In Gainesville, Florida (where the University of Florida is found), there is the "34th Street Wall." Combine the two, and you get Miracle on 34th Street.

the outline of a castle on a floating cloud, with a large flower in front of it:
The outline is the logo for Disney World, located in Orlando, Florida. The flower is blooming. Combine the two and you get "Orlando Bloom," who played Legolas in the Lord of the Rings films, making him an "elf-man." Danny Elfman scored the film Back to School, at the end of which Rodney Dangerfield's character recites the poem "Do not go gentle into that good night." The title of that poem, synonymously, could be thought of as "Die Hard."

sketch of a man with a telescope:
The man is Galileo, whose name is recited repeatedly in the Queen song "Bohemian Rhapsody," from the album "A Night at the Opera." In the Marx Brothers film of the same name, Chico says the line, "There ain't no sanity clause!" Thus, The Santa Clause.

"fruit bat":
Another name for a fruit bat is a "flying fox." Michael J. Fox played Marty McFly in Back to the Future, in which one of the locations is the Twin Pines Mall. The town of Pine Tree, Vermont, was the setting for White Christmas.

"traffic jam"

The song "Born to Run" by Bruce Springsteen includes the line "the highway's jammed with broken heroes." That song is addressed to a girl named Wendy. The fast food chain Wendy's sells ice cream called a Frosty, the name of the titular Frosty the Snowman.

a photograph showing two women in dresses, each holding a candy bar in their left hand:
The candy is KitKat bars. The women are wearing dirndls, a traditional Bavarian (part of Germany) dress; the Saxons came out of what is now Germany. On the women's other (right) hand is a wedding ring, indicated they are wives. Combine the three - KitKat Saxon wives - and you get an approximation of the penultimate line in the St. Ives riddle ("kits, cats, sacks, and wives; how many were going to St. Ives?"). Burl Ives sang and voiced Sam the Snowman in Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer.

Matthew 7:14:
The verse reads, "But small is the gate and narrow the way that leads to life, and only a few find it." The "way that leads to life" could be thought of as "the path of God," also the name of the final Grail test in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. In that test, from his own perspective, Indy appears to be "walking in the air," also the name of the song from The Snowman.

election banner type sticker with "Pudge 2017":
Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez was elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame in 2017. Rodriguez spent most of his career with the Texas Rangers - not the kind from the show Walker, Texas Ranger. One famous "walker" is the character Enrico Salvatore "Ratso" Rizzo from Midnight Cowboy, who famously shouts, "I'm walkin' here!" The Muppet Rizzo the Rat was named after that character, and Rizzo helps narrate The Muppet Christmas Carol.

"Mr. Cutler's ill.":
The first children's book by Scottish poet Ivor Cutler is called Meal One, illustrated by Helen Oxenbury. Take the illustrator's initials and the title of the book, and you get "H. O. Meal One" - change the spacing and you have Home Alone.

"Confederate City":
The city is New Orleans, the setting of A Confederacy of Dunces. The City of New Orleans is also a passenger train (and a song about that train); the most famous Christmas train is The Polar Express.

drawing of a bird in a Christmas tree, plus the inscription "Edward didn't do this":
The bird is a goose; the tree is a spruce tree. The Spruce Goose was the wooden plane created by Howard Hughes. Edward Lasker, in his famous "king walk" against Sir George Thomas, did not castle to give checkmate when that was a possible move. Combine the two and you get "castle Hughes." Keisha Castle-Hughes played Mary in The Nativity Story.

a thin layer of frost:
Robert Frost's poem "Stopping By Woods On a Snowy Evening" describes a winter journey. Franz Schubert composed a song cycle called Winterreise, which means "winter journey." Dorothy Parker wrote the famous quip, "Oh, life is a glorious cycle of song, / A medley of extemporanea, / And love is a thing that can never go wrong, / And I am Marie of Roumania." Romania contains Transylvania, in the horror genre the home of vampires. Horror plus Christmas equals The Nightmare Before Christmas.

"St. Mary was here":
One of Christopher Columbus' ships on his voyage to the New World was the Santa Maria. The New World could be described as "new lands." Francis G. Newlands bought the land that later became the town of Chevy Chase, Maryland; Chevy Chase starred in National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation.

a leaf stuck with chewing gum:
The gum is Wrigley's; Wrigley Field in Chicago is known for its ivy-covered walls. Ivy is linked to Christmas by the song "The Holly and the Ivy"; the most famous "Holly" is Buddy Holly, who shares his first name with the main character in Elf.

the La-Z-boy furniture logo:
People often sleep in La-Z-Boy recliners. The most famous instance of someone sleeping in a chair was "Elephant Man" Joseph Merrick, who had to do so due to the weight and shape of his head. The unusual formations of Merrick's frame could be described as an "odd body"; Clarence Odbody was the angel in It's a Wonderful Life.

"HS graduation of the shepherdess and oyster farmer" plus a small sketch of a bee:
The shepherdess is Phoebe from As You Like It. The oyster farmer is Rhea Perlman ("pearl-man"). Phoebe and Rhea are two of the mythological Titans; since this is a high school graduation, they are teenagers - Teen Titans. The enemy of the Teen Titans was H.I.V.E. Academy, one of whose villains was Gizmo - also the name of the Mogwai in Gremlins.

Scrabble tiles A-D-I-Y-T-R-H-B:
The Ted Hughes poetry collection Birthday Letters includes the line "Fragile like the mantle of a gas-lamp." The most famous "fragile" lamp is the one in A Christmas Story.

four skulls, the third of which is circled:
The third puzzle on this forum by Literally a Skeleton is "I'll have a pint please... and a mop," which is about the removal of Coca-Cola from a store. The special A Charlie Brown Christmas originally contained ads for Coca-Cola that were removed in later airings.

Thanks for playing. I hope you had a wonderful holiday season.
Balin

Re: [Balin] Click your heels (an homage) (*SOLVED*)

Postby peter365 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:36 am

Hi Balin

I'm sorry I didn't get to participate in this as much as I'd have liked to . Well done for such a creative and fiendishly clever puzzle.

It's perhaps a reflection of where we are member wise that we don't have enough active people to complete something like this within the deadline.

Hopefully next year we can get a better run at it.
peter365

Re: [Balin] Click your heels (an homage) (*SOLVED*)

Postby Acridian9 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:16 pm

Sorry....I would have gladly continued this!
I was in NY for a brief vacation, and the blizard delayed my return trip.
Acridian9

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles