[GalFisk] Don't you hate it when it happens?

Current and recently solved lateral thinking puzzles. Please post new lateral thinking puzzles here.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[GalFisk] Don't you hate it when it happens?

Postby GalFisk » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:18 am

A bad thing, let's call it event1, happened recently. I din't want it to happen, I did what I could to keep it from happening, and it had negative consequences for me.
But I'm still glad that it did happen.
This got me thinking about two other things that have not happened, which I also don't want to happen, and which I will be glad about afterwards if they do.
Event 2 I can do nothing about, and it may happen within a week.
Event 3 I do what I can to keep it from happening, and it may never happen.

What are the events, and why will I be glad for them in retrospect?

For questions about one or more events, specify which one(s) the questions apply to.
GalFisk

Re: [GalFisk] Don't you hate it when it happens?

Postby Hobbsicle » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:35 am

Ok, I'll apply these questions to all events...

Are any of them related to: Health? Injury? Financial loss? Something breaking/malfunctioning? Losing something? Forgetting something? A relationship? Legal trouble? Making a mistake? Failing at something?

Are other people relevant to any of these?

Are you glad because: you "got them over with"? There is a tangible benefit associated with them? An intangible benefit (e.g. growing in endurance, breaking a habit, forcing you to face your fears)?
Hobbsicle

Postby GalFisk » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:07 am

Are any of them related to: Health? Injury? 1 caused an injury. 2 will not and 3 most likely not. Financial loss? I will have to pay for something related to 3. Something breaking/malfunctioning? 3, yes. Losing something? Assume no. Forgetting something? A relationship? Legal trouble? No to all. Making a mistake? Failing at something? 1 and 3.

Are other people relevant to any of these? No.

Are you glad because: you "got them over with"? 1 and 3: yope, explore. There is a tangible benefit associated with them? No. An intangible benefit (e.g. growing in endurance, breaking a habit, forcing you to face your fears)? 1 and 3, but none of the examples are the main benefit, though endurance and fears play a small part.
GalFisk

Postby Hobbsicle » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:40 am

Is skydiving related to any of these?

So 1 involves making a mistake and injuring yourself as a result? And you're glad it happened because: it wasn't as bad as you thought? You have a story to tell? There is a benefit that comes specifically from being injured? Because you will now be less likely to make the mistake in the future?

Are any of the three related to each other? About the same general subject (work, hobby, etc.)? Causally related?
Hobbsicle

Postby GalFisk » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:33 am

Is skydiving related to any of these? 1 indirectly, 3 directly.

So 1 involves making a mistake and injuring yourself as a result? Yes. And you're glad it happened because: it wasn't as bad as you thought? Yope,
explore.
You have a story to tell? No. There is a benefit that comes specifically from being injured? No. Because you will now be less likely to make the mistake in the future? Possibly, but irrelevant

Are any of the three related to each other? Sort of, but you don't need to focus on it to find the solution. About the same general subject (work, hobby, etc.)? They're related to different hobbies of mine. Causally related? Noish.
GalFisk

Postby Balin » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:17 pm

Have these other hobbies featured in previous GalFisk puzzles? Fireworks? Carrot gun?
Is the injury to a relevant part of your body? Was the injury caused by impact? A fall?
Balin

Postby GalFisk » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:35 pm

Have these other hobbies featured in previous GalFisk puzzles? I don't think so. Fireworks? Carrot gun? No to both.
Is the injury to a relevant part of your body? Yope. Was the injury caused by impact? See next. A fall? Yes.
GalFisk

Postby Hobbsicle » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:29 am

Event 1: Did you fall from a standing position? A sitting position? While walking/running? While riding something? Did you fall off of something?

Are you glad (for any of them) because they are a "badge of honor" of sorts? Is how other people view you relevant? How they treat you?

So number 2 has neither a tangible nor intangible benefit?
Hobbsicle

Postby GalFisk » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:17 pm

Event 1: Did you fall from a standing position? Noish. A sitting position? Yesish. While walking/running? While riding something? Yes. Did you fall off of something? Yesish.

Are you glad (for any of them) because they are a "badge of honor" of sorts? No. Is how other people view you relevant? How they treat you? No to both.

So number 2 has neither a tangible nor intangible benefit? Correct.
GalFisk

Postby JenBurdoo » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:47 pm

Event 1: Did you fall out of something? Slide? Find yourself out of proper position? Were you skydiving, or something related to it, at the time? If so, did you jump from the plane? If so, did your chute fail and you had to activate the reserve?
JenBurdoo

Postby GalFisk » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:41 pm

Event 1: Did you fall out of something? No. Slide? No. Find yourself out of proper position? Yes. Were you skydiving, or something related to it, at the time? No. If so, did you jump from the plane? No. If so, did your chute fail and you had to activate the reserve? No.
GalFisk

Postby Balin » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:54 am

Did you fall from something moving? A living thing? Did the thing move after you fell?
Balin

Postby GalFisk » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:53 am

Did you fall from something moving? Yes. A living thing? no Did the thing move after you fell? Yope,
DOYD of "after".
GalFisk

Postby Balin » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:31 pm

Did it move while you were falling? Before? After?
Did you land still on the moving thing?
Was it a ride of some sort? A carousel?
Balin

Postby GalFisk » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:14 pm

Did it move while you were falling? Yes. Before? Yes. After? A little.
Did you land still on the moving thing? Noish.
Was it a ride of some sort? Probably not the way you mean, but it's sometimes called a ride. A carousel? No, nothing like that.
GalFisk

Postby Hobbsicle » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:42 am

Was it a bike? A skateboard? A sled? Did you relevantly hit something? Lose traction? Did falling prevent something worse from happening? (e.g. you were heading for a cliff)
Hobbsicle

Postby GalFisk » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:44 am

Was it a bike? This. A skateboard? A sled? Did you relevantly hit something? Noish. Lose traction? Yes. Did falling prevent something worse from happening? (e.g. you were heading for a cliff) No.
GalFisk

Postby Balin » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:37 pm

Did the bike continue on after you fell off it?
Balin

Postby GalFisk » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:55 pm

Did the bike continue on after you fell off it? No.
GalFisk

Return to Active Lateral Thinking Puzzles