[Balin] At sixes and sevens

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[Balin] At sixes and sevens

Postby Balin » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:55 pm

Two people, in a public place, kneel on the cold, hard ground for 18 seconds. Why?
Two people = one H/A/F and one H/A/M
I think this will go quickly, so please PM early guesses
Balin

Re: [Balin] At sixes and sevens

Postby Enjay » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:59 pm

18 seconds exactly? Is someone timing? Is 18 seconds the time it takes for a relevant thing to happen?

Are they outside? Inside? Is religion relevant? Are they a couple? Are they kneeling together? Are they the only ones kneeling?

Do they do this once? Multiple times? If so, always the same two people? Different combinations of people? Do other people also do this?
Enjay

Postby invisiblemimsy » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:00 pm

Are they famous? Relevant when and where this took place? Is the time of 18 seconds relevantly exact, and would the puzzle work if it were a different amount of time?
invisiblemimsy

Postby GalFisk » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:28 pm

Would they do it if the ground was warm? Soft? Wet? Sharp? Underwater? Lava?
GalFisk

Postby Balin » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:29 pm

18 seconds exactly? Yes Is someone timing? Yes Is 18 seconds the time it takes for a relevant thing to happen? Yes/Yope

Are they outside? Inside? This Is religion relevant? No Are they a couple? No (not in a romantic sense) Are they kneeling together? Yes Are they the only ones kneeling? Yes

Do they do this once? At this place, Yes Multiple times? They did this multiple times before If so, always the same two people? This Different combinations of people? Do other people also do this? Others do the thing this pair is doing, but without the kneeling

Are they famous? Yes Relevant when and where this took place? Yes/Yes Is the time of 18 seconds relevantly exact Yes and would the puzzle work if it were a different amount of time? No

Would they do it if the ground was warm? Soft? Wet? Sharp? Underwater? Lava? No to all except "wet," which could be added to the puzzle statement
Balin

Postby Enjay » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:37 pm

Have the previous times they have done this all been in different places? Always on a cold hard ground? Always for 18 seconds?

Is 18 seconds the length of time it takes to say something? Perform an action? Do they count to 18? Does one of the two time them? Someone else? Are they told when to stand up?

Where this took place: Europe? North America? South America? Asia? Africa? Australasia?

When: Pre-18th century? 18th century? 19th? 20th? Present day? The future?

Do other people watch them kneel? Is this some kind of ritual?

After the 18 seconds are up, do they stand up? Do they do something else relevant before kneeling? During? After?
Enjay

Postby JenBurdoo » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:50 am

Are they being reverent?

Are they kneeling to someone? Before something?
JenBurdoo

Postby invisiblemimsy » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:18 am

Some kind of ceremony? Awards or sport relevant? Is it that something in particular takes 18 seconds to do, or is the 18 seconds relevant in itself? Ice skating relevant?
invisiblemimsy

Postby GalFisk » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:04 am

Relevant how their knees are clothed? How the kneeling affects their clothes? Their knees?
GalFisk

Postby Balin » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:12 pm

Have the previous times they have done this all been in different places? Not all different places, but somewhere else Always on a cold hard ground? Yes Always for 18 seconds? Yes

Is 18 seconds the length of time it takes to say something? Perform an action? This
Do they count to 18? No Does one of the two time them? No Someone else? Yes Are they told when to stand up? No

Where this took place: Europe? Here North America? South America? Asia? Africa? Australasia?

When: Pre-18th century? 18th century? 19th? 20th? This Present day? The future?

Do other people watch them kneel? Yes Is this some kind of ritual? No

After the 18 seconds are up, do they stand up? Yes Do they do something else relevant before kneeling? No During? Yes After? Yes

Are they being reverent? No

Are they kneeling to someone? No Before something? No

Some kind of ceremony? No Awards or sport relevant? Yes, sports Is it that something in particular takes 18 seconds to do, or is the 18 seconds relevant in itself? Both Ice skating relevant? Once again, the whimsy of Mimsy is going to bring one of my puzzles to a quick end. Yes.

Relevant how their knees are clothed? No, but see previous How the kneeling affects their clothes? No Their knees? No
Balin

Postby invisiblemimsy » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:06 pm

Oh, sorry!
invisiblemimsy

Postby Balin » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:13 pm

Oh, sorry! Not a problem at all - that just means you're doing well at leaping right to the point of my puzzles, and I need to work on my obfuscation.
Balin

Postby Balin » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:14 pm

KingLouie has sent a correct PM, by the way.
Balin

Postby peter365 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:37 am

Ah the penny drops. I heard this story some years ago and it never occurred to me that it could make a good puzzle but I see now that it does. I've sent you a one word PM .
peter365

Postby Balin » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:15 pm

Ah the penny drops. I heard this story some years ago and it never occurred to me that it could make a good puzzle but I see now that it does. I've sent you a one word PM. Thank you! I've sent you a one-word response.
Balin

Postby invisiblemimsy » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:35 pm

The length of time it takes them to execute a particular manouevre? To kneel at the end of their performance? To kneel while the judges hold up their score cards? Something else?
invisiblemimsy

Postby Balin » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:35 pm

The length of time it takes them to execute a particular manouevre? For svv (and sufficiently vague US/UK spelling) of "maneuver" To kneel at the end of their performance? No To kneel while the judges hold up their score cards? No Something else? See first answer
Balin

Postby invisiblemimsy » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:00 pm

To receive their medals? To take their starting position before they begin? National anthem? Are they disabled? I got nothing, Balin... suggest you give it to the others!
invisiblemimsy

Postby Balin » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:28 am

To receive their medals? To take their starting position before they begin? This is close, No to rest National anthem? Are they disabled? I got nothing, Balin... suggest you give it to the others!
Balin

Postby invisiblemimsy » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:55 am

Wait for something? For their announcement? For their music to begin, and possibly play the intro bars?
invisiblemimsy

Postby Balin » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:47 pm

Wait for something? For their announcement? For their music to begin, and possibly play the intro bars? I'm going to go ahead and say this is close enough. The rest is technical.

****SPOILER****

(This was my attempt to sneak a Winter Olympics puzzle during the Winter Olympics.)

Jayne Torvill and Christopher Dean's record-scoring ice dance routine during the 1984 Winter Olympics was set to "Bolero," a 17-minute piece. Olympic rules dictated that a routine must last four minutes, give or take 10 seconds, and the shortest they could get "Bolero" cut down to was 4:28, 18 seconds too long. But while examining the rules, they noticed that the timing of the routine began when a skate blade first touched the ice, so they performed the first 18 seconds of the routine while kneeling.

Well done mimsy, Pete, Louie, and those in Pyeongchang.
Balin

Re: [Balin] At (*SIXES*) and sevens

Postby invisiblemimsy » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:30 am

Brilliant puzzle! It never occurred to me that this was T&D. I remember watching them do Ravel's Bolero SO many times.
invisiblemimsy

Re: [Balin] At (*SIXES*) and sevens

Postby Hobbsicle » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:49 am

Just now seeing this, but great puzzle!
Hobbsicle

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles