[Solong] Remember, remember

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[Solong] Remember, remember

Postby Solong » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:56 am

Oooops, wrong president!
Could have been embarrassing.
I made a similar mistake, only with hardware instead of presidents.
Solong

Re: [Solong] Remember, remember

Postby invisiblemimsy » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:42 am

President = HAM? Are we talking about presidents of the USA? Trump, Obama, other past president, future president, Vice President, person who ran for president but failed?
Hardware = computer, DIY, tools?
Embarrassing - to you, someone else, generally?
invisiblemimsy

Postby Solong » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:34 pm

President = HAM? Are we talking about presidents of the USA? Yes.Trump, Obama, other past president, This, so you have 43 to choose from. All other q/s, no. future president, Vice President, person who ran for president but failed?
Hardware = computer, DIY, tools? tools.
Embarrassing - to you, someone else, generally? In the 'hardware' instance, to me; 'presidents,' someone else. Call her Betty, if you will.
Solong

Postby Solong » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:35 pm

President = HAM? Are we talking about presidents of the USA? Yes.Trump, Obama, other past president, This, so you have 43 to choose from. All other q/s, no. future president, Vice President, person who ran for president but failed?
Hardware = computer, DIY, tools? tools.
Embarrassing - to you, someone else, generally? In the 'hardware' instance, to me; 'presidents,' someone else. Call her Betty, if you will.
Solong

Postby Earnest » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:02 am

Is the name of the President/ the acronym/ the number in the order of president connected with somw of the tools you were using?

We are not talking about elections right? Should someone give the name of a president? Chiose a president? Say which president had done sonething? "Could have been embarassing" = could have been embarassing had it happened at all? Had it happened in real life? In other circumstances? In the past? Is it a dead president? Was Betty with you or are you talking about something happened in the past?
Is the wrongness of the president due to someone sayong the wrong name?

Tools = tools for repair something? A car? Tools of your work? Tools for house works? Tools in general? have you chosen the wrong tool to repair sonething? Have you answered wrong to a question?
Earnest

Postby invisiblemimsy » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:14 am

So does it matter which past president or is it generic ‘past president’? Are we talking about 2 or more presidents? Power tools or hand tools, how many (LTPF list of numbers)? Betty =HAF? Is this puzzle fictional? Wrong president = wrong president for the job? Mistaken identity? Monica Lewinsky relevant? Scandal of any kind?
invisiblemimsy

Postby Solong » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:11 pm

Is the name of the President/ the acronym/ the number in the order of president connected with somw of the tools you were using? the name(s) of the presidents are relevant, but are not connected with the tools.

We are not talking about elections right? Yes, we are not.Should someone give the name of a president? Yopish.Chiose a president? Say which president had done sonething? No to these."Could have been embarassing" = could have been embarassing had it happened at all? Had it happened in real life? It did happen IRL, but was only mildly embarassing. In other circumstances? In the past? Is it a dead president? Yes. Was Betty with you or are you talking about something happened in the past? Betty told me about it later.
Is the wrongness of the president due to someone sayong the wrong name? YES.

Tools = tools for repair something? A car? Tools of your work? Tools for house works? Mostly this.Tools in general? and this. have you chosen the wrong tool to repair sonething? No.Have you answered wrong to a question? Yessish.
Solong

Postby Solong » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:18 pm

So does it matter which past president Yes, specific presidents. or is it generic ‘past president’? Are we talking about 2 or more presidents? two.Power tools or hand tools, how many (LTPF list of numbers)? Two different types of tools; actual number small, maybe about six. Betty =HAF? Yes.Is this puzzle fictional? Only in that it concerns something that almost happened - to me. Wrong president = wrong president for the job? Mistaken identity? Monica Lewinsky relevant? Scandal of any kind? No, noish, or n.r. to all.
Solong

Postby biograd » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:39 pm

Did Betty give an answer that was actually another president? another president with a similar name (for instance confusing Taylor with Tyler)?

Alternatively, did she say a name formed by parts if presidents' names (e.g. something like "Andrew Hamilton", formed by "splicing together" Andrew Jackson and Alexander Hamilton)? or another actual famous person who had a name that was close to that of a president?

Was it relevant what the question was that she answered? In other words, whether it was asking for a president based on something that he accomplished, or when he held office, or something else? Or, could this same confusion happen with that president's name regardless of the context?

If the former, was the answer prompted by a question about accomplishments? period in history? assassination (or lack thereof)? depiction on currency?
biograd

Postby Earnest » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:32 pm

In a parallel way, did you give the wrong name of an hardware? Like you said "please give me the..." with the wrong name of the hardware? If so did you and Betty give the wrong names in the same day? In different years/days? In saying the wrong name of the hardware, did you mistake it with another hardware? A president? Would the fact of giving the wrong name to the hardware be considered embarassing as well? Was the tool a specific tool? Like a tool one can find in kitchens? Bathrooms? Garage?

Did you make the same type of mistake? Did you exchange letters? Tild similar names but with wtong pronunciation? With a letter more or less? With a letter or more instead of another? Is there a correlation among your mistake and Betty's one (supposing that they were mistkes, were they?)? Did you mistake the name of an hardware with the name of a President? The other way round? If so the same president mistaken by Betty? Another one? One alive?
Earnest

Postby Solong » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:09 pm

Did Betty give an answer that was actually another president? YES.another president with a similar name (for instance confusing Taylor with Tyler)? No, not similar names.

Alternatively, did she say a name formed by parts if presidents' names (e.g. something like "Andrew Hamilton", formed by "splicing together" Andrew Jackson and Alexander Hamilton)? or another actual famous person who had a name that was close to that of a president? No.

Was it relevant what the question was that she answered? In other words, whether it was asking for a president based on something that he accomplished, or when he held office, or something else? Or, could this same confusion happen with that president's name regardless of the context? Nothing that either president did or didn't do is relevant, so I guess you could say "regardless of the context.
BTW, the puzzle title is relevant.

If the former, was the answer prompted by a question about accomplishments? period in history? assassination (or lack thereof)? depiction on currency? No to all.
Solong

Postby Solong » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:19 pm

In a parallel way, did you give the wrong name of an hardware? Like you said "please give me the..." with the wrong name of the hardware? No. I was not in a hardware store. If so did you and Betty give the wrong names in the same day? In different years/days? Different times, n.r. In saying the wrong name of the hardware, did you mistake it with another hardware? Yes, I got different types of hardware mixed up. A president? No, presidents and hardware not co-mingled. Would the fact of giving the wrong name to the hardware be considered embarassing as well? Was the tool a specific tool? Two different types of tools, but similar.Like a tool one can find in kitchens? Bathrooms? Garage? Most likely in the garage, or doing outdoor chores.

Did you make the same type of mistake? Yes.Did you exchange letters? Tild similar names but with wtong pronunciation? With a letter more or less? With a letter or more instead of another?Spelling and pronunciation n.r. Is there a correlation among your mistake and Betty's one (supposing that they were mistkes, were they?)? Yes, the same kind of mistake, and the mistake involved names. Did you mistake the name of an hardware with the name of a President? The other way round? If so the same president mistaken by Betty? Another one? One alive? No to all.
Solong

Postby invisiblemimsy » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:27 am

Marilyn Monroe relevant, or any other woman associated with a president? Scandal relevant? Impeachment?
invisiblemimsy

Postby Solong » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:38 pm

Marilyn Monroe relevant, or any other woman associated with a president? Scandal relevant? Impeachment? No to all. Nothing about the presidents is relevant, except their names.
What is a common embarrassing moment associated with names?
Solong

Postby trebor » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:04 pm

Did a president get called the wrong name to his face? If yes, by Betty? Is Betty a former First Lady? (Betty Ford?) Are the presidents Adams relevant?

Are brand names of hardware relevant?
trebor

Postby Solong » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:56 pm

Did a president get called the wrong name to his face? No actual president in the puzzle, just someone with the same name as a president.If yes, by Betty?Yes. Is Betty a former First Lady? (Betty Ford?) No; just a common name I picked for her.Are the presidents Adams relevant? No, and neither are the Rosevelts or Bushs.

Are brand names of hardware relevant?YES.
Solong

Postby biograd » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:30 pm

So was the situation like this: Betty wanted to remember someone's name, and thought to herself "Oh, Mr. Reagan, like the former president"? (not saying it was Reagan, but you get the idea). But then when trying to remember it, she remembered it was the same name as a president, but thought of the wrong one?

If so, did you do something similar with a name that was also a brand of tools, such as "Mr. Bosch, like the tools"?
biograd

Postby trebor » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:49 am

Black and Decker? Stihl?
trebor

Postby Solong » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:50 pm

So was the situation like this: Betty wanted to remember someone's name, and thought to herself "Oh, Mr. Reagan, like the former president"? (not saying it was Reagan, but you get the idea). But then when trying to remember it, she remembered it was the same name as a president, but thought of the wrong one? Yes, very much OTRT. She was trying to recall a first name, which she associated with a president.
The names involved are earlier than Reagan. Hint: One was Republican, one Democrat, if that helps, although politics n.r.

If so, did you do something similar with a name that was also a brand of tools, such as "Mr. Bosch, like the tools"? Also OTRT. See below.
Solong

Postby Solong » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:53 pm

Black and Decker? Stihl? These were names that occurred to me, but were not the right one.
Solong

Postby biograd » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:48 pm

By "associated with" do you mean that the first name was not actually the same as the first name of the president, but something at least slightly different? or do you just mean in the sense that, like in my example, she remembered it by remembering the president with the same name?

As to actually guessing the presidents, I'd think that would be quite hard, especially since the first names of presidents have been less unusual than the last names. But I'd think someone like Grover Cleveland, Dwight Eisenhower, or Lyndon Johnson would be most likely since those first names are uncommon.
biograd

Postby invisiblemimsy » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:04 pm

Hoover? Jackson? Bush? Lincoln? (All names of tools and of presidents). OTRT?
invisiblemimsy

Postby trebor » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:57 am

Is Cockney rhyming slang (or something similar) relevant? A mnemonic device relevant?

Are the presidents both from the same century? The 20th? 19th? 18th?
trebor

Postby Solong » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:38 pm

By "associated with" do you mean that the first name was not actually the same as the first name of the president, but something at least slightly different? or do you just mean in the sense that, like in my example, she remembered it by remembering the president with the same name? This.

As to actually guessing the presidents, I'd think that would be quite hard, especially since the first names of presidents have been less unusual than the last names. But I'd think someone like Grover Cleveland, Cleveland was one of them. The others n.r.Dwight Eisenhower, or Lyndon Johnson would be most likely since those first names are uncommon.
Solong

Postby Solong » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:40 pm

Hoover? Jackson? Bush? Lincoln? (All names of tools and of presidents). OTRT? Veering to the WT. The two parts of the puzzles are not related to each other.
Solong

Postby Solong » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:51 pm

Is Cockney rhyming slang (or something similar) relevant? No. A mnemonic device relevant? If you mean a rhyme or something she recites, no.

*********************SPOILER*************
This is 95% solved now. Betty met a man named Calvin, so she thought "I will remember his name by association with Calvin Coolidge." Unfortunately, when she saw him again, the only president she could think of was Grover Cleveland - perhaps because the gentleman was a bit overweight.
Funny thing was, both presidents had more common first names, which they did not use: (John) Calvin Coolidge and (Stephen) Grover Cleveland.
I was introduced to a lady who gave me a useful hint to remembering her name: "Just think of the chainsaw." Then she added "but don't call me Ms. Buzzsaw." Of course, when I saw her again, all I could think of was Buzzsaw. I kept running through my memory card file for the names of chainshaws. Ms. Black? Ms. Decker? Ms. Stihl?
The name, of course, was McCullough!
Solong

Postby biograd » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:05 pm

I've never heard of McCullough chainsaws.
biograd

Postby Solong » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:28 pm

I've never heard of McCullough chainsaws. Their website lists chainsaws as some of their products, along with snowblowers and lawnmowers.
Solong

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles